crouchaldinho

[FM10] When The Saints Go Marching In - Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save!

1,849 posts in this topic

Genius manager or lucky git? You decide. :p

The 1st one obviously :rolleyes:;)

KUTGW, looking very good so far this season

My moron of a chairman has just sold Gylfi Sigurdsson against my wishes, accepting a measly £160k from Norwich. Apparently too good to turn down! What's he talking about? Grrrrrr.

A really quality player who was basically being rotated with Andres Abdesalem as the midfield playmaker.

I'm really not best pleased. :mad:

:(

My moron of a chairman has just sold Gylfi Sigurdsson against my wishes, accepting a measly £160k from Norwich. Apparently too good to turn down! What's he talking about? Grrrrrr.

A really quality player who was basically being rotated with Andres Abdesalem as the midfield playmaker.

That's terrible on my Leeds save the guy is on fire, it's 2012 so he is a lot younger but he has 8 assists and 6 goals in 8 games averaging 7.87 in the EPL at AMC.

500th game well done, with FM11 approaching fast I am hoping for promotion this season Crouchy, I have faith.

Maybe I didn't have his squad status set high enough. :(

Well, I'll be playing this save until St. Albans City are dominating the world, which means I'll probably be playing it forever. ;)

I'll be getting FM11 but I doubt I'll be starting a save on it straight away so there will be plenty of time to play on in this save.

Details are in this post:

Next up gents, I need some reassurance that I'm not the only huge FM nerd on this part of the forums. I really hope that someone else will find this just a little bit cool, and not just a little bit sad. :D

Basically, yesterday, I spent way too much of my Sunday afternoon creating a facegen/regen version of myself for my managerial photograph. And I feel quite proud of the final result. :o

Crouchaldinho-2-8.png

I got this free software which analysed one of my real photographs and turned me into a facegen person. Then I just had to make a few minor changes, add some hair and hey presto!

Obviously, you guys have absolutely no idea what I look like in the first place, so you'll just have to take my word for it that this regen face looks weirdly and spookily like me.

The only way in which we really differ, is that my regen doppelgänger has a bit more hair than I do. I'm more follicly challenged than he is and a bit thinner on top. Other than that, it is an extremely striking likeness, right down to the stubble. :D

If anyone wants to know roughly how I did this then let me know and I will happily talk you through it. It's reasonably easy really. If I can do it, it must be easy to be honest!

I used the FaceGen modelling application basically. Free to download on the Internet.

It makes a facegen picture based on a photograph. I loaded in a photograph of myself and then let it do its analysis and create a face. A few minor adjustments to the detail level to make it look more facegen like. Then I saved it and loaded it into GIMP and added some hair from a hair pack download on the skinning forum. Was a bit fiddly for me but if you know how to use an application like GIMP then you'll probably find it quite easy.

sick, would you be willing to make one of myself, always like having a photo of me as a Manager but never liked the one of me playing poker or w/e ..

Would greatly appreciate but understand if you don't want ..

I'd rather not, if that's all right with you. It's quite easy to do yourself really. I mean, as I said above, if I can do it then it's likely anyone can. ;)

Type 'facegen modeller' into google and download the free software. Also get 'GIMP' if you haven't already got it.

The Facegen Modeller software does most of it for you and the different sliders and controls are mostly self-explanatory. The most difficult part of the exercise is getting it into GIMP and adding the hair, for which you'll likely need to download a hair pack, or you could use existing FM hair (which is in the FM folder under data).

If you get stuck, ask me and I'll try to help. It's actually quite fun to do it! :)

Good luck. :thup:

Like I say, if you get stuck then get in touch and I'll try to help if I can. :)

;) What a signing by the Canaries there

I also just lost Marc Vega, winger or striker, who was another rotation player but who was on the verge of the first team. He wouldn't renew his contract and Hoffenheim came in and offered him a deal to move in the summer. One or two of my other youngsters won't renew contracts so it could be the first of many.

Along with the fact that I have quite a few older players who are coming to the end of their playing days, this will probably mean a bit of a rebuild at the end of the season. I have one or two youngsters who may be able to step up to the first-team - we'll see - but it's going to be a potential drop in quality unless I can bring in some new talent.

Despite our great league position at the moment, we're still a fair distance from the Premier League really.

Crouch, what's up with your team's aversion for drawn results?? It's feast or famine with your team! 8 losses, and only what, four or five drawn? Do you whip them when they can't produce a result (good or bad)?? [del]:D[/del] [insert much more interesting laughing smiley here]

I'm a real connoisseur of the beautiful game apparently:

Crouchaldinho-5-4.png

Too nerd and too cool! :thup:

Too nerd and too cool! :thup:

So it's like beyond nerd but also beyond cool at the same time. Excellent. :thup:

Crouch, what's up with your team's aversion for drawn results?? It's feast or famine with your team! 8 losses, and only what, four or five drawn? Do you whip them when they can't produce a result (good or bad)?? [del]:D[/del] [insert much more interesting laughing smiley here]

Yes, it's a weird one. Especially seeing as last season, we probably drew the most games out of anyone in the league!

I've put it partly down to the team gelling making us inconsistent at times. There is also an element of the personalities we have in the team, especially the forward Yegorov. The guy is a tortured genius and plays either hot or cold and nothing in between. He gets complacent really easily and seems to have various personality defects. I can't seem to do much about it because he doesn't have any linked players for potential tutoring. But when he is on form, he is on fire. When he is poor, he is absolutely appalling. This is having a big effect on the results, which is why it is either win or draw for us right now!

This is the sort of thing I have to put up with while managing Yegorov:

Yegorov.jpg

And when he decides to have an off day, there seems to be little I can do about it. He has a full blown strop and just doesn't play.

20091026011547!St_albans.png

UPDATE FOR JANUARY 2019:

Jan2019.jpg

Manager Comments for January 2019:

A solid draw away to Middlesbrough kicked off 2019. And then we had a nice little run of form, with Yegorov on fine form, netting 5 goals in 4 games.

We progressed to the FA Cup fifth round with wins over Nottm Forest and Hartlepool. We've drawn Colchester at home in the fifth round, which isn't a bad tie for us at all. I have dreams that we could progress even further in this competition.

We ended the month with a disappointing draw at home to Reading, but all in all, we should be proud of our form this month.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Middlesbrough |       | 31    | 19    | 7     | 5     | 47    | 26    | +21   | 64    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Hull          |       | 31    | 17    | 7     | 7     | 47    | 24    | +23   | 58    | 
[b]| 3rd   |       | St. Albans    |       | 31    | 16    | 7     | 8     | 59    | 29    | +30   | 55    | [/b]
| 4th   |       | Sheff Utd     |       | 31    | 16    | 7     | 8     | 57    | 32    | +25   | 55    | 
| 5th   |       | Wolves        |       | 31    | 15    | 8     | 8     | 52    | 30    | +22   | 53    | 
| 6th   |       | Birmingham    |       | 31    | 14    | 8     | 9     | 41    | 36    | +5    | 50    | 

15 games to go and we're looking good for a play-off spot.

We're a long way from the top though. I want to try to finish in 3rd really, if it's possible. That would be a great step forward.

UPDATE FOR FEBRUARY 2019:

Feb2019.jpg

Manager Comments for February 2019:

Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Colchester at home was the real low point of this month. Extremely disappointing as we had done so well to reach that point of the competition and I felt that the tie was winnable.

Otherwise, we made some nice and quiet progress in the league, with the wins against Derby at CP, and Burnley away, the real highlights.

Going out of the cup means that we just have the league to focus on now. We sit second in the table with 11 games to go.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Middlesbrough |       | 35    | 22    | 8     | 5     | 53    | 27    | +26   | 74    | 
[b]| 2nd   |       | St. Albans    |       | 35    | 18    | 9     | 8     | 66    | 32    | +34   | 63    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Sheff Utd     |       | 35    | 17    | 9     | 9     | 62    | 38    | +24   | 60    | 
| 4th   |       | Wolves        |       | 35    | 17    | 9     | 9     | 57    | 33    | +24   | 60    | 
| 5th   |       | Hull          |       | 35    | 17    | 8     | 10    | 47    | 27    | +20   | 59    | 
| 6th   |       | Reading       |       | 35    | 14    | 14    | 7     | 49    | 33    | +16   | 56    | 

15 games to go and we're looking good for a play-off spot.

We're a long way from the top though. I want to try to finish in 3rd really, if it's possible. That would be a great step forward.

3rd? you really should be hopeful of automatic promotion. Good Luck I'm sure you'll be in the premiership nest season

I don't feel like we're anywhere near good enough for the Premier League Hrbfcrule!

I think Joe Hall, Andres Abdesalem, Aleksandar Dimitrov and Victor Yegorov are basically carrying us and would be good enough to step up another level. The rest are pretty average or worse! It's a surprise to me that we're doing so well.

I honestly think we need a rebuild as well. Quite a few older players need to be shipped out. We would also benefit from maybe selling one or two better players and investing any incoming money in the squad. I could also try to bring through some of the homegrown talent I've been storing up and loaning out over the last couple of years!

We'll see what happens though. Obviously, I'm aiming to finish as high as possible, but I'd be happy with 3rd and another season at this level to build!

We're faltering now in the run-in.

Andres Abdesalem was out with a two match suspension. Normally, I would bring in Glyfi but as we lost him in the transfer window I had to rely on lesser talents.

Abdesalem is the heart of the team and the midfield playmaker and we struggled without him and lost two away games in a row. :(

UPDATE FOR MARCH 2019:

March2019.jpg

Manager Comments for March 2019:

An awful month for us.

It started well enough with a solid win against Birmingham at home. But it all went downhill from there onwards.

Without our midfield playmaker Andres Abdesalem, who was suspended for three matches, we really struggled. Even worse, midfielders Rodney Strasser and William Carvalho were on international duty and missed two matches, plus defensive midfielder Alaixys Romao was out with an injury. It left us absolutely bare in the heart of midfield and the replacements were not good enough.

We scrapped against all of the sides but only managed one other win, which came against Hartlepool at home. Where there is Yegorov, there is hope, but unfortunately despite some high scoring games, we just couldn't get any points on the board in our away matches this month. With a practically non-existent midfield, we struggled defensively, although we were always a threat going forward. It wasn't enough though.

We've slipped down the table to 5th but we have a game in hand on all of the top sides. If we win it, then we're straight back in the race for promotion. We've got quite a few home games to come, so you never know. Just six games to go now!

Current League Position:

| 1st   | Pl    | Middlesbrough |       | 41    | 26    | 9     | 6     | 65    | 29    | +36   | 87    | 
| 2nd   |       | Reading       |       | 41    | 19    | 15    | 7     | 62    | 38    | +24   | 72    | 
| 3rd   |       | Wolves        |       | 41    | 20    | 11    | 10    | 64    | 38    | +26   | 71    | 
| 4th   |       | Sheff Utd     |       | 41    | 20    | 10    | 11    | 73    | 49    | +24   | 70    | 
[b]| 5th   |       | St. Albans    |       | 40    | 20    | 9     | 11    | 73    | 40    | +33   | 69    | [/b]
| 6th   |       | Hull          |       | 41    | 19    | 12    | 10    | 53    | 30    | +23   | 69    | 

Our game in hand is against Watford at Clarence Park.

A Herts derby!

And that's going to be the first game of April.

i don't. You're going to bottle it... ;)

lol straight to the point lol

Nobby obviously knows all about my previous form on FM. :D

So, I pinned Nobby's post up in the dressing room. We've been playing some great stuff ever since.

Bottle it? Pfffft. :thdn:

Update coming up.

UPDATE FOR APRIL 2019:

April2019.jpg

Manager Comments for April 2019:

With captain Abdesalem back in the midfield playmaker role, we were back in business, and went about demolishing Watford in our game in hand to put us back into second place. We then did the same to promotion contenders Wolves, putting us back into a great position.

However, beneath us in the table, Reading and Sheffield United just kept on winning, keeping the pressure on. After a fine 2-0 win away at QPR, I thought we were all set for automatic promotion but then we stalled at home to Hull and away to Swindon, allowing Reading and Sheffield United back into the race for automatic promotion.

As it stands, we go into the final game in 3rd place, 1 point off second-placed Reading and level on points with 4th placed Sheffield United. It's going right down to the wire but we are still in a great position!

It's going to be a dramatic final day in the Championship!

Current League Position:

| 1st   | C     | Middlesbrough |       | 45    | 29    | 10    | 6     | 73    | 31    | +42   | 97    | 
| 2nd   | Pl    | Reading       |       | 45    | 22    | 15    | 8     | 67    | 41    | +26   | 81    | 
[b]| 3rd   | Pl    | St. Albans    |       | 45    | 23    | 11    | 11    | 82    | 41    | +41   | 80    | [/b]
| 4th   | Pl    | Sheff Utd     |       | 45    | 23    | 11    | 11    | 83    | 52    | +31   | 80    | 
| 5th   | Pl    | Wolves        |       | 45    | 22    | 11    | 12    | 69    | 44    | +25   | 77    | 
| 6th   | Pl    | Hull          |       | 45    | 21    | 13    | 11    | 59    | 32    | +27   | 76    | 

Final Day Matches:

Norwich City v Reading

St. Albans City v Portsmouth

Birmingham City v Sheffield United

If the Saints win, we are guaranteed third spot in the table. We have to hope that Norwich can get something against Reading. If they do, and we manage to win our game, then we'll go up. In fact, if the results go our way (i.e. Norwich win against Reading and Sheff Utd draw their match), then we may only need a draw to go up automatically thanks to our far superior goal difference.

So we're in a terrific situation really. It's not all in our hands by a long way but ultimately, as long as we win, we have a good chance.

We just need a performance from Norwich! On the ball City! :D

What price on Glyfi doing us a favour Sigurdsson doing us a favour after we sold him to Norwich in January?

Just reflecting on this season before the final games, I'm really not quite sure how we have got into this position really. The team doesn't seem good enough for promotion at all in my eyes. It's seems that we're being carried by about two or three players really, mainly captain and midfield playmaker Abdesalem, and withdrawn forward Dimitrov.

If we go up, we'll need a massive rebuilding mission over the summer to survive a season in the Premier League! Anyway, think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself really.

I'm actually really nervous heading into the final matches but I do think we have a great chance! Come on you Saints! gialloblu.gif

And guess what? After some ill advised remarks in my latest press conference, I've been given a touchline ban for the must win last match of the season!

Will this help or hinder the Saints?

And add in yet another distraction in the lead up to the game. My chairman is rumoured to be stepping down to be replaced by one of the club's directors.

There has also been some really bad news as captain and midfield playmaker, Andres Abdesalem, is going to be missing with an injury. He is our best player and has been carrying this team all season. It's awful news.

Things aren't exactly going our way, are they? :(

Final Day Matches:

Norwich City v Reading

St. Albans City v Portsmouth

Birmingham City v Sheffield United

If the Saints win, we are guaranteed third spot in the table. We have to hope that Norwich can get something against Reading. If they do, and we manage to win our game, then we'll go up. In fact, if the results go our way (i.e. Norwich win against Reading and Sheff Utd draw their match), then we may only need a draw to go up automatically thanks to our far superior goal difference.

So we're in a terrific situation really. It's not all in our hands by a long way but ultimately, as long as we win, we have a good chance.

We just need a performance from Norwich! On the ball City! :D

What price on Glyfi doing us a favour Sigurdsson doing us a favour after we sold him to Norwich in January?

Before I post up the results and the final table, I'll leave this thread for a bit in case anyone fancies predicting the outcome!

Can Crouchaldinho's Saints win automatic promotion or will they bottle it?

We all know where Nobby strands on this issue! :p

Will post up the results a bit later this evening.

You'll win 2-0 with Reading only managing a 1-1 draw against Norwich.

. . . . . . But then Sheff Utd will thrash Birmingham City 12-0 and you'll miss out on automatic promotion by a single goal :D

Thanks for the confidence in my team chaps. ;)

So when you've got a touchline ban, where is the option to communicate with your assistant manager via mobile phone from the stands. :p

So when you've got a touchline ban, where is the option to communicate with your assistant manager via mobile phone from the stands. :p

I really, really, needed this option. Turns out my assistant manager is an idiot with the tactical awareness of an ITV commentator.

As you can guess from that, things didn't go to plan.

FINAL SCORES:

Birmingham 1 - 2 Sheff Utd

Norwich 0 - 1 Reading

St. Albans City 0 - 2 Portsmouth

What have I learnt from this?

That my assistant manager should stick to his day job and that he certainly isn't the next Mourinho. The idiot took off one of our best players (in Yegorov) at half-time for no reason but left on Dimitrov for the whole match despite the fact that he picked up a bad knock and was injured. He waited until the 85th minute to make a meaningful substitution despite the fact that we needed a bloody goal and he didn't make one change to the tactics to try to get back into the game. It also turns out that he gave them a team talk of 'none' before the match. Mr Motivator, he certainly isn't!

I'm so livid I'm not even going to post a screenshot. I can't be bothered. So you'll have to take my word for it.

We were crap and that's all you need to know. Plus Reading won their game so that was the end of that anyway. :(

:mad:

Top of the table finished like this:

| 1st   | C     | Middlesbrough |       | 46    | 30    | 10    | 6     | 76    | 32    | +44   | 100   | 
| 2nd   | P     | Reading       |       | 46    | 23    | 15    | 8     | 68    | 41    | +27   | 84    | 
| 3rd   | Pl    | Sheff Utd     |       | 46    | 24    | 11    | 11    | 85    | 53    | +32   | 83    | 
[b]| 4th   | Pl    | St. Albans    |       | 46    | 23    | 11    | 12    | 82    | 43    | +39   | 80    | [/b]
| 5th   | Pl    | Wolves        |       | 46    | 22    | 11    | 13    | 69    | 46    | +23   | 77    | 
| 6th   | Pl    | Hull          |       | 46    | 21    | 13    | 12    | 59    | 33    | +26   | 76    | 

Now I need to prepare my team for the play-offs. We've drawn Wolves and will play the first leg at Molineux.

Unlucky, but you still have a good chance in the playoffs

The line-up I have been playing all season is roughly this:

Smith

Rhodes, Rodriguez, Hansen, Hall

Albrighton, Strasser, Abdesalem, Vega

Dimitrov

Yegorov

A 4-4-1-1 with Abdesalem as the playmaker.

With Dimitrov (the AMC playing as an inside forward) injured, I decided to make a change to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 style formation for the play-offs, as you will see shortly in my individual match reports.

The line-up would be:

Smith

Rhodes, Rodriguez, Hansen, Hall

Carvalho, Strasser, Abdesalem

Albrighton, Yegorov, Vega

Would this change pay off? Stick around folks. ;)