What Matches Have You Saved?

Title says it all, which matches have you deemed interesting enough to save?

These are mine, I've tried to have at least one for each team I've been at:

Manchester City:

3-2 vs Manchester United, FA Cup semi final, 2009/10

With Given injured, I had the useless Stuart Taylor in goal. Despite Man U taking an early lead, we fought back and led 2-1 at the break. Petrov added a third, before Man U pulled a goal back. In the 80th minute, Man U were given a penalty... and Taylor saved it!

1-0 vs Chelsea, Champions League final, 2010/11

A very nervy match, but more or less dominated by my City, who eventually scored in the 98th minute with a nice Robinho shot from a tight angle. This was the day I created a monster.

Ivory Coast:

3-0 vs Argentina, World Cup 2010 group stage

Never have I played a 4-3-3 formation more to perfection. The pacy wingers repeatedly found space on the break, and with Drogba being more powerful than most freight trains, he had a field day. Argentina struggled to break down my solid team. I think after this match, I had a World Class reputation.

Sevilla/Belgium:

none

Chelsea:

3-0 vs Burnley, Premier League, 2012/13

Jagielka scored a fantastic long free kick early on, but just after half time, Cech got injured. I don't keep a keeper on the bench (this is literally the only time in 10 seasons I needed one), and so Jagielka went in; he made a great save, which led directly to the game-killing 2nd goal.

England:

1-0 vs France, World Cup 2014 final

I also saved my 2nd round, quarter-final and semi-final victories, but, along with the final, they followed the same formula. Against slightly more skilled opposition, I set out quite defensively, and restricted France to several long chances, with Rooney bagging an 83rd minute winner on the break.

Sheffield Wednesday

1-0 vs Reading, Championship, 2013/14

I took over at Wednesday three games before the end of the season, and it came down to needing to beat Reading to stay up. I played riskily, and we arguably had the better of the game, with Sean McAllister blasting in a fantastic long shot to secure his boyhood team's survival.

3-4 & 1-0 vs AC Milan, Europa League quarter final, 2018/19

The match that finally brought Wednesday up with the big boys. My first and second choice keepers were out injured, so I turned to my experienced centre back (yes, you guessed it) Phil Jagielka to take the gloves for a crucial match in the San Siro. We lost 4-3, but Jagielka didn't perform badly, and our attacking was brilliant at times. At Hillsborough, we dominated, with a much stronger team, and ended up a with a nice 1-0 win. In the semi final, I drew 0-0 away at Bayern, and at home I went for my usual 4-2-3-1 formation, which smothered Bayern's 4-4-2, but the Germans still had the majority of the game, but 9 seconds after the 3 minutes of added time had elapsed, Vadis Odjija blasted in a stunning winner from 25 yards.

3-1 vs AS Roma, Europa League final, 2018/19

I turned to my fairly experimental formation, the 3-1-4-2 for the biggest game of my career with Wednesday so far. It worked perfectly; the three at the back nullified Roma's two strikers, also allowing one of my CBs to come out of defence and help the midfield, which outnumbered Bayern's 4. My 2 up front caused havoc, I was 3-0 up just after half time, at which point I allowed my wide midfielders to drop back and become wing-backs. Roma only started putting pressure on towards the end, and got one goal to show for their efforts.

2-1 [aet] vs Manchester City, League Cup final, 2019/20

Up until my 1-0 win in the league (which I also saved) during October in this season, I had failed to even get a point against City since getting promoted. However, the 3-1-4-2 formation has a huge advantage over Man City's narrow diamond, and in the final, I was competitative and didn't deserve to be losing 1-0. However, in added time, 37-year-old Kaka (in what was to be his only good moment in a dismal 1-year spell at Wednesday) played a glorious ball through for my Turkish winger to slam home an equaliser, with my young centre back converting an extra time penalty.

Ukraine:

3-1 vs Turkey, Euro 2020 group stage

Turkey, ranked 7th in the world, seem to be the best place for regens, with the world's highest paid player coming from Turkey (inevitably becoming an underachieving Galactico). Thanks to an injury-time defeat to Germany, I still needed to win this game to progress, despite my comfortable win over Ireland. I led 2-0 at half time, thanks to my powerful striker Stoyan being in unstoppable form. Turkey pulled one back immediately after the break, and despite all their pressure, Stoyan broke away in the 80th minute, and pulled it back for my centre back (played at DMC) to slam it in.

2-1 vs England, Euro 2020 quarter-final

I was relishing the chance to take on a side whose recent international success I had started, 6 years ago. Stoyan scored an early goal, exploiting the weak link in the England side, a CB (who, I admit, plays for me at Wednesday) but Welbeck immediately levelled. In added time, my substitute Skydan held off the challenge of England's other CB (who, I admit, was joining me after his contract expired a month later) to blast in a dramatic winner. I eventually went out to Italy in the semi, their 4-1-2-1-2 only working against my 3-1-4-2 because I didn't have the players to pull off the formation.

Archived