Sports Interactive Community
Zico10

Co Adriaanse's 3-3-4 & The Dutch Philosophy

Zico10:

Are you using this tactic as a plug and play or are you making tweaks away from home?

My philosophy is to impose my game. Home or away in this game is the same for me. In my Getafe save I was beating Barca at Nou Camp 2-0, they keep changing from 4-3-3, to 3-4-3, to 4-2-4 with no avail. Beat them in the end 3-1.

yea the Real breaker is still doing the trick, sadly I dont really have the fitness or squad depth to use it more often, this time I also went for very fluid in addition to the tweeks I metioned befor, which looked intresting ingame

athletic-real2-1.png

Does anyone have any reading materials on Adriaanse's style of play? Now that he is back in Holland I'm looking forward to check some Twente games in hope they will be entertaining.

Yeah I've found match report from game with some Romanian team. Twente starts on Sunday with league games so we might see variations against weaker opponents.

Does anyone have any reading materials on Adriaanse's style of play? Now that he is back in Holland I'm looking forward to check some Twente games in hope they will be entertaining.
never even noticed that he is back in dutch football, suppose I will have to watch a few Twente games then

Anyone? :D

Here is an article on a recent match: http://11tegen11.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/twente-2-0-n-e-c-dont-judge-a-game-by-its-score-line/

And here is another that talks a little more about the system Adriaanse plays with twente (you have to scroll a bit): http://11tegen11.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/groningen-1-%E2%80%93-1-twente-hard-working-home-side-match-superior-away-side-skills/

It's a pretty good site and if you look around there are probably more match reports and articles on twente.

btw. If you are interested in the Eredivisie in general there is a subreddit that is somewhat active and most interesting articles get posted there.

Thanks for the links! I follow 11tegen11 as it's good site IMO. That Reddit stuff might have something interesting.

I've spent hours looking for his Porto adventure information but nothing yet. Luckily youtube gets more and more full matches uploaded so maybe something will appear from 2005/06.

Will 3 DCs with the DCL and DCR set to hug touchline not work?

Nope bugged, although SI won't admit it. A shame since that would solve alot of problems for a 3 man defence.

Ironicly, the reason why Adriaanse sometimes chooses to play with 3 defenders is a defensive one. When playing against an opponent who play with 2 strikers its actually easier to play with 3 defenders. I'll try to explain.

Rule of thumb is that in defence you want 1 player extra opposed to the amount of strikers of the opponent, for safety. So if the opponent plays 4-4-2 you play with 3 defenders. This way if an attacker outlplayes 1 defender, there's always one extra for cover. The rest of the players in the team all have their own man to worry about. 4 midfielders against 4 (if you play 3-4-3). Thats his phylosophy behind 3 defenders.

It's also possible to achieve this when playing with 4 defenders but that takes allot more communication. If you play 4 against 2 you have the wingbacks "marking air" which gives the opponent men extra somewhere else on the pitch, or if the opponent plays with wingers high on the pitch its 4 against 4. So both ways its dangerious. Now you can change this by either letting one midfielder help out the defence (if the opponent playes with wingers high up the pitch) or sending a defender forward (if the opponent doesnt play with wingers). But as you can imagine, this takes allot communication and understanding of your players. For example, Ajax now has a new coach (Frank de Boer) who uses the same dutch phylosophy and he decided to play 3 defenders against teams who play with 2 strikers because his players are still very young and are not capable yet to manage what i described above. Probably because they're not experienced enough to see whats happening on the pitch or dont have the ability to communicate with eachother.

By the way, if the opponent playes with 3 attackers Adriaanse always plays with 4 defenders because 3 would be to risky. This way both wingbacks each have a man and one of the CV's either covers someone else or marks the striker. Though sometimes it hapens that he plays "one on one". That means that there is no extra defender for cover. He does this when playing against a weaker opponent or when his team is losing as a way to force a goal.

So long story short, its from a defensive point of view he sometimes chooses to play with 3 defenders because its easier for the players. I think the reason why he played with 3 defenders at Porto is because almost all the other clubs in the Portuguese league played with 2 strikers and his philosophy was new for the players from Porto which is why playing with 4 defenders would be to hard (see Ajax example above)

Ive always been intrigued by teams that play with 3 at the back and this season with Barcelona & Napoli right at the fore, it would be interesting for more people to experiment on the game.

that has been my formation for the last 2 versions of FM 11 & 12, but i have different roles and duties for mine, very successful formation for all teams low or high reputations or ability, you just need the right roles and duties and it works wonders.

Nope bugged, although SI won't admit it. A shame since that would solve alot of problems for a 3 man defence.

i disagree i have only ever used 3 defenders at back in last 2 versions of FM both 11 & 12, and i have got it to work wonders it is the only formation i use and i still do fantastic in all different leagues with different size clubs.

you just have to get the roles and duties setup right to work with 3 CD at back is all.

i disagree i have only ever used 3 defenders at back in last 2 versions of FM both 11 & 12, and i have got it to work wonders it is the only formation i use and i still do fantastic in all different leagues with different size clubs.

you just have to get the roles and duties setup right to work with 3 CD at back is all.

paganizer was speaking about how the hug touch line wide play instruction work on the outside cb's in a 3 man defence, and right now that wide play instruction only work on wide players in the DL/WBL/ML/AML/FL (or the same thing on DR/MR etc) strata, not central once

paganizer was speaking about how the hug touch line wide play instruction work on the outside cb's in a 3 man defence, and right now that wide play instruction only work on wide players in the DL/WBL/ML/AML/FL (or the same thing on DR/MR etc) strata, not central once

ah ok my apologies i thought he was talking about 3 man defence won't work.

once again sorry for misunderstanding.

cheers,

mike

I'm deeply disappointed with the ME handling of a back 3 with full backs. The full backs push up regarding of any instructions or roles, they barely come inside to help defend, the CB act as a stopper even though you instruct him to be a sweeper or to play slightly deeper, so basically you have to hope on 2 things: a kind of road runner beep-beep CB and the opposition strikers missing chances. I'm trying different variants to try to solve this conundrum, but I may have to go back to 3 CB's.

You might also want to try the fullbacks as SWL and SWR, so they won't bomb forward that far up the pitch. This also helps with their defensive responsibilities.

You might also want to try the fullbacks as SWL and SWR, so they won't bomb forward that far up the pitch. This also helps with their defensive responsibilities.
Agreed, this also helps your goalie in delivering the ball. Mind the throwins though, the backs are usually set to take them and I saw my only DC also being involved, leaving a DMC behind with 2 players...

Great stuff, have to admit. Haven't dowloaded the tactic but tried to create a version of my own, inspired by this great read. Started a career with my beloved R.Sociedad side and after half a season we sit firmly 2nd in Primera, beating the likes of R.Madrid 4-1 on the road.

The fact that you simply have opposition strikers outnumbered in defense is just what smaller clubs need as they usually dont posses two word class CBs.

Our defense is quite solid as we conceeded only 13 goals after 19 rounds and scored 37. Loving the variety in attack tbh. Only thing that I've done differently is that Ive set Wbs instead of classical wingers here. This gives me lot more options both in defense and transition as well as in attack.

Cheers