The Official English National Football Team Thread

Who's gonna save England now from Gerard's FKs? Does Milner take FKs?

Milner does indeed take the occasional free kick.

Scored a screamer of a freekick against Bolton a couple of years ago and was very close to scoring yesterday from one.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Premier League Actim Index this is who Capello should take (4-4-2)

First choice first.etc

Goalkeepers

Manuel Almunia

Joe Hart

Paul Robinson

Leftback

Leighton Baines

Ashley Cole

Centreback

John Terry

Ryan Shawcross

Titus Bramble

Roger Johnson

Rightback

No English Rightbacks in Top 100

--------------------------------

Tyrone Mears would've made it if he didn't play a game for Jamaica

Right Midfield

James Milner

Aaron Lennon

Left Midfield

Ashley Young

Matthew Etherington

Centre Midfield

Frank Lampard

Gareth Barry

Steven Gerrard

Lee Bowyer

Strikers

Wayne Rooney

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Jermain Defoe

Darren Bent

What do you guys think of Heskey? I was totally against him for most of Sven's reign, used to have a go at him alot, especially during the 02' WC- but I was quite young then, I guess I didn't fully see what he brought to the team.

When he came back (07ish wasn't it?), I appreciated him more, I remember him and Owen linking up very well against Russia and he has done a good job upfront for Capello. But he has been awful for Villa this year and I personally would prefer C.Cole or Zamora, if we want a big, power striker alongside Rooney, as they can find the net too.

What happened to Heskey? I remember him being a decent enough goalscorer in his Leicester City days and in the earlier part of his Liverpool career.

how emile heskey has managed to carve a professional and even an international career for himself in football with as little technical ability as he has, i will never know

honestly it baffles me how someone who has spent the majority of his life playing football can be so poor at the aspects involving his feet, and the ball. poor is an understatement.

i'm not hating on his inclusion for the england team - there's no denying whatever it is he doesn't do or does, it's working and i'm convinced the likes of carlton cole or bobby zamora noting their recent marked improvement can do the same "creating space" work, but also once in a while kick a ball accurately to a team mate or towards the goal. however, if it keeps working i'll keep having no real issue with it - apart from sheer confusion and disbelief towards it all

re CBs:

1269108175_spt_ai_stoke_tottenham_40.jpg

he's been class this year although i still don't see him as a proper top quality CB but i have absolutely no qualms about choosing him over upson or lescott though based on this year at least. he's certainly no worse than any of his rivals in the '3rd level' group that's below rio/jt, followed by; king/jagielka/woodgate(obviously king and woodgate would never get in considering they've barely played, applies to jags too but he's getting back in it now); dawson/lescott/shawcross/upson/cahill/johnson etc. in fact that's probably the order i'd have too.

I agree also but Capello really hasn't stuck to his promise of picking players on form, he's picked the same old players despite a lot of them currently being gash.

Not that i'll question what he's doing though, he's done a great job so far.

the regular exclusion of players like Darren Bent is proof enough, not that i think he's good enough, but he's scored bag loads (Also Zamora of course, for it is impossible for me to post a football comment without throwing in his immense striking prowess)

How many goals has Darren Bent got to score before he makes the England squad? I actually think he is a very good player, he's quick, decent on his left foot, good in the air and most importantly he scores goals. But for those who don't think he's any good, I think a comparison with Dani Guiza is a fair one.

Guiza is not the most technically gifted of players, certainly nowhere near the talent of David Villa or Fernando Torres but he scored a lot of goals in the 07/08 season - 27 league goals for an average Mallorca side. He then went to the Euro's as a back up player and scored two goals in the tournament, a late winner in the group stage and a goal in the semi final against Greece.

Darren Bent could do a similar job at the WC, coming on as a sub and scoring crucial goals.

see i cant really imagine him doing that, more coming on as a sub and missing his only chance, thats why i wouldn't pick him, but he is the best example of Capello not doing what we thought and picking players 'on form'

Rob, or anyone - are there any decent sites/forums out there with extensive details of past England youth matches (U21 downwards)? The official FA site used to be good until they revamped it and now it only covers the last 18 months/2 years or so. Have seen sites for other countries (Ireland notably) with meticulously-gathered stats for that sort of thing, nothing for England yet.

How many goals has Darren Bent got to score before he makes the England squad? I actually think he is a very good player, he's quick, decent on his left foot, good in the air and most importantly he scores goals. But for those who don't think he's any good, I think a comparison with Dani Guiza is a fair one.

Guiza is not the most technically gifted of players, certainly nowhere near the talent of David Villa or Fernando Torres but he scored a lot of goals in the 07/08 season - 27 league goals for an average Mallorca side. He then went to the Euro's as a back up player and scored two goals in the tournament, a late winner in the group stage and a goal in the semi final against Greece.

Darren Bent could do a similar job at the WC, coming on as a sub and scoring crucial goals.

You certainly have a point and Bent has done well enough to earn a chance. However, from his time at Spurs- where he did tbf score well when he was given chances, I don't think his link up play is good enough. He is a good player, knows how to finish, confident player (seems to think he is better than he is, which is fine!) and seems like a decent lad, but I really feel thats a big negative of his.

So he would be in the Englad squad purely as a goal scorer- unfortunately Defoe has that spot secured and rightly so. Rooney obviously is going and seems Crouch will too, then it leaves one spot for a big strong player Zamora/Heskey/Cole. If 5 strikers were taken, Bent should be in with a shout, but its 4, barring injury, I can see why he isn't getting a look in.

It's too late for Zamora IMO. If the WC wasn't untill next summer. Maybe. But unless we get serious injuries we have to stick with what's got us there. Zamora might be in better form then Heskey at club level but Heskey experience of the England set up and played well when called upon for England. Ditto Crouch. It's too late to take the risk and hope Zamora can transfer his club form over to international football. Same with Darren Bent. Though he has had his chances and not really made much of them

Freitag, 3. September 2010

Montenegro – Wales

England - Bulgarien

Dienstag, 7. September 2010

Schweiz – England

Bulgarien - Montenegro

Freitag, 8. Oktober 2010

Montenegro – Schweiz

Wales - Bulgarien

Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2010

Schweiz – Wales

England - Montenegro