The Official English National Football Team Thread

What is dangerous about Ozil is not neccessarily who he is, but where he plays. If we play our normal 442, we'll have trouble from him.

We always have hassle with players playing between the lines and where/when to pick him up and who, you'd hope this is something we'll be working on from now until sunday

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inexperienced but still quality side you do wonder if all this stuff Beckenbaur has been coming out with is kind deflecting away from the game itself and putting all the press on him and what he's saying (kick and rush / England burnt out, etc)

i think its criminal that gerrard keeps getting played on the left tbf. hes been a better player than lumpard this tournament playing out of position, how much better would he be in the middle ffs???

when we go out of this tournament i will be highlighting this point again.

pretty much think heskey will be back for this game in a familiar :( 4-4-2

Article about Rooney and someone going with that whole altitude thing.

Interesting stat mentioned in there that Rooney's last involvement in an England goal in a tournament was Jun '04 in the Euros, I know he's been injured but that's scoring or assisting or anything

i think its criminal that gerrard keeps getting played on the left tbf. hes been a better player than lumpard this tournament playing out of position, how much better would he be in the middle ffs???

when we go out of this tournament i will be highlighting this point again.

pretty much think heskey will be back for this game in a familiar :( 4-4-2

Why is it criminal to play someone who is perfectly capable of playing on the left on the left over someone who is not at all capable of playing there.

Gerrard did fine out there against Slovenia, mainly because he decided to hold his position for a change, coming inside only when he was actually required to. If he can do that again against Germany, he is pretty effective out there.

Lampard's been the form player this season, and has been performing better than Gerrard for a good few seasons now. Far better at keeping possession too.

4-4-2 worked fine yesterday and in qualifying. Yes I was one of the people that wanted 4-5-1, but I hate how the media just had a complete spazzfest over Gerrard on the left, when they were hailing Capello for putting him on the left and getting Lampard and Gerrard playing well, not so long ago.

If we play similar to how we did against Slovenia we have a good chance of getting through, its a pretty even match up I think.

4-4-2 worked fine yesterday and in qualifying. Yes I was one of the people that wanted 4-5-1, but I hate how the media just had a complete spazzfest over Gerrard on the left, when they were hailing Capello for putting him on the left and getting Lampard and Gerrard playing well, not so long ago.

If we play similar to how we did against Slovenia we have a good chance of getting through, its a pretty even match up I think.

Aside from about 25 minutes in two spells we were still pretty dire against Slovenia.

Mark Bright just said that he wouldn't swap any German players for any English players.

Has he seen Lahm or Ozil?

thinking about it, theres not many german guys id have over our current starting lineup, but then if i was german, id say the same thing, we are fairly evenly matched in quite a few areas

Id probably prefer James over Neuer, purely for his experience, Neuer has looked a little shakey at times, Lahm over Johnson probably, purely because lahm isnt a liability in defense, Cole over Badstuber easily, would probably take Mertesacker and Terry in central defence over Carragher and Freidrich

Barry v Khedira is a close one, but would choose Barry, Ozil over Lampard, Lennon over Muller, Gerrard over Podolski, Rooney over Schweinsteiger, though rooneys form is a concern and a toss up between klose and defoe, though i imagine klose would probably shade it, if its heskey instead of defoe then definitly Klose :D

so thats seven english players and 4 germans

Oh Cole will have him! :D

Lahm is very good but hes a bit slow.

Ahh thats it. Been reading your crap for a bit now...but this is the one. I'll assume you havent watched much football outside of the premier league. If you did, you would know Lahm is very quick and should Gerrard choose to go wondering around and not track him....:o

Also, Ozil is on a different level to Gerrard and Lampard...sorry to burst your bubble.

Infact, I would argue all their midfielders are head and shoulders above any of yours (either in effectiveness or just being better).

I do agree with you though. If you play 4-5-1 with Rooney up front on his own...you are going home.

I also dont think you will be able to rely on the odd set piece to get you out of jail. I think Lahm and Podolski are the only German players under 6 feet. This probably means that if the Germans score first its pretty much over....unless of course England actually decide to play some football.

Good luck guys :thup:

JD has missed so many penalties for us, greedy git. Though did score his most recent one against Chelsea.

Keeps saying he would take one, but lets hope Capello keeps the bugger away. Looks like he is going to start, so I doubt he would last 120 mins.

Don't get me wrong, I love Defoe- just not for penalties.

Penalty takers picked ... Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Milner and Barry ... in theory a good line up for spot picks tbh. Just don't let Defoe near them ;)

Surprised Ashley Cole isn't in that list tbh. I'd probably have him around the 1st 3 for England.

Surprised Ashley Cole isn't in that list tbh. I'd probably have him around the 1st 3 for England.

I agree but would be happy with those 5 and then perhaps Ashley Cole next.

Saying that though Lampard and Gerrard both missed in the last World Cup against Portugal didn't they? You can never tell.

Pick a freaking corner and hit it at pace just inside the post. Anyone putting it down the middle, giving the keeper 'the eyes' or trying to hit it high and knocking it over should be dropped from the squad eternity!

You can't 'practice' pens and re-create the environment but you can make it 2nd nature to hit it just inside the post, no need for decision making when you step up to take it, it's already in your head.

This is what I would be drumming into them now

I agree but would be happy with those 5 and then perhaps Ashley Cole next.

Saying that though Lampard and Gerrard both missed in the last World Cup against Portugal didn't they? You can never tell.

Pick a freaking corner and hit it at pace just inside the post. Anyone putting it down the middle, giving the keeper 'the eyes' or trying to hit it high and knocking it over should be dropped from the squad eternity!

You can't 'practice' pens and re-create the environment but you can make it 2nd nature to hit it just inside the post, no need for decision making when you step up to take it, it's already in your head.

This is what I would be drumming into them now

Thing is against Portugal (can't remember if this was 04/06 or both), but I remember us scoring a lot of penalties down the centre. I have no problem with a player missing down the centre if they hit it with conviction, as it has proved to be an increasingly successful penalty recently and makes GK's think about diving or not, which of course makes it easier to stick one in the corner.

You don't need to make the keeper question whether he should dive or not, you're then getting into 'what if he doesn't move much or stands up' ... pointless. What is proven is if you hit it just inside the post at pace, side footed, it's incredibly, incredibly difficult to save it even if the keeper does guess the correct way.

This takes out any form of decision making standing in front of the ball and also takes out any variables about 'what if the keeper does this/that' ... doesn't matter what the keeper does, forgot the keeper in a penalty, you're not out-foxing him, you hit inside the post at a decent pace it's a goal

The pens we missed in the last World Cup were rubbish, back to Euros and Vassel's neither here nor there penalty too. What's annoying in the Euros is they missed before us I think, we had the advantage ... aaaaahhhh, I don't even want to think about it

Penalty takers picked ... Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Milner and Barry ... in theory a good line up for spot picks tbh. Just don't let Defoe near them ;)

Confident on Gerrard Lamps, Roon and Barry. Think these are mentally strong enough to do it and have 85% conversion rate with maybe Rooney a little lower. Not sure about Milner? Does he takes pens for Villa?

Plus side we have James in goal who has saved a few for Portsmouth if I remember correctly

Confident on Gerrard Lamps, Roon and Barry. Think these are mentally strong enough to do it and have 85% conversion rate with maybe Rooney a little lower. Not sure about Milner? Does he takes pens for Villa?

Plus side we have James in goal who has saved a few for Portsmouth if I remember correctly

Yeah, Milner is a great penalty taker.

I'm a Man Utd fan and his goal against us in the Carling Cup Final was perfect...right in the corner...keep had no chance.

Milner has taken plenty of pens for Villa and also took them for England U21s before, he did miss against Sweden though but generally he's steady. Barry seems confident.

Agree about Rooney, most likely to just blast it down the middle and can see that banging off a keepers knee or something :/

Archived