[FM10] Que Sera Sera, What ever will be, will be, We're going to Wem... Town!

Shrew82

And so, presented with the amazing database provided by Superbladesman, allowing FM users every where the chance to manage in leagues which not even Garth Crooks would comprehend, i decided to manage a team which is very close to my heart... 100 yards away from my back door actually, Wem Town. In reality, Wem are in tier 12 of English football, however to boost the numbers up to 18 in the West Midlands (Regional) League Division One, i added them into the pot allowing me to play them.

Over the years, Wem has been a solid local football club, averaging around 20 or 30 spectators every home match. and until recently have never been higher than the Shropshire Premier League.

My challenge is a simple one, to take Wem Town all the way to the top. There will be tears, and tantrums, heartbreak and failure, but i'm hoping that riddled in amongst the angst and uncertainty which goes with managing a football club up the leagues, i can produce a bit of success, the like of which has never been seen in the small market town.

I hope you enjoy my seasonal updates and please feel free to comment when you wish.

Wem Town

Season 2009/2010 - The very beginning...

The expectations by the Board was to achieve a respectable league position in the league. The Media predicted me to finish 17th out of 18 clubs... i am more ambitious than this however! My seasons target is nothing more or less than promotion, which for Level 11 clubs means winning the League Championship and then entering a promotion playoff with the winners of the other 39 leagues.

Currently second in the league after 6 games, i struggled to score goals to start with, playing a type of 4-3-3 with two wide midfielders supporting the main striker. After dipping into the transfer market however and signing no less than 8 players and loaning no fewer than 8, i have found the right blend to start, not only winning games, but scoring plenty of goals as well.

The teams results so far are as follows:

Trysull 1-2 Wem Town

Warstone 0-0 Wem Town

Wem Town 4-1 Wellington Amatures

Wem Town 2-0 Sporting Khalsa

Bilbrook 3-0 Wem Town

Wem Town 4-0 Bilston Town

There are no cups to enter this season so i have to concentrate on the league. My next update will be at the end of this first season.

Enjoy :-)

Dave

2009-2010 - End of Season Review

Final League Position - 1st

Played 34, Won 26, Drawn 6, Lost 2, Scored 59, Conceaded 16, Points 84.

League 11 Promotion Play-off Results - S/F: Wem Town 1-0 (aet) Carlton Athletic - F: Wem Town 0-0 Milton (Wem won 4-3 on pens)

Top Goal Scorer - Matt Glass: 9

Fans Player of The Season - Max Powell (Av. Rat 7.01, scored 1 with 8 assists)

Managers Player of the Season - Richard Hurlin

Club Finances: £12,202

Board Confidence: The Board are delighted with the way i am running the club.

Having started the season quite slowly, Wem Town proceded to dominate the league losing only 2 games all season. Bringing in loan players from some Welsh Premier clubs, and clubs in higher leagues helped to make Wem a force all season. Wem went on a record run of 9 wins in a 17 game stretch without defeat before eventually losing 1-0 away to Bilston Town. Throughout the course of the season, Wem had impressive wins away at Bridgnorth Reserves and Wellngton Amatures, together with a fantastic home record without a defeat and only one draw.

Players who stood out throughout the season are 9 Goal Matt Glass, Sturdy Goalkeepers Philip Palethorpe and Aleks Krunic who conceaded 16 goals between them, and

Midfielder Scott Phelan who put in some sturdy performances. Managers Player of the Season Richard Hurlin was also a sturdy signing, providing 8 goals in 16 games

and providing 2 assists.

The playoffs looked a daunting task for Town as they had to travel to Edgeley Park in Stockport to face Carlton Athletic of the English West Yorkshire League Premier Division.

In a tense game that never really got going Wem won the game after Dominic Merella netted in extra time to take them to the final.

The final was contested at Scully against Milton of the Northamptonship Combination Premier Division. After several tense moments throughout the game the match went to Penaltys of which Wem won 4-3 after 6 penalties each, so Wem gained promotion to Level 10 and the West Midlands Premier Divison at the very first attempt which must beconsidered a massive success and something which the club can build upon.

Wem Town

Season 2010/2011 - West Midlands League Premier Division

The club has turned Semi-Professional for the first time and has set a wage budget of £1,255 but i'm not planning on spending anything near that amount of money this season.

Season Guidelines:

Board Objective: To win the league, To win the West Midlands League Premier Division Cup and to reach the second round of the FA Vase.

Signings and Outgoings

After winning the league and promotion to the West Midlands League Premier Division at the first attempt, i needed to make some quality signings to try to compete at the higher level. With the boards expectations very high i decided to go for a bit of experience and a couple of youth players to make the squad up. I also raided the loan market for some bargains again which has proved rather useful.

Players in: (Free Transfers) Gavin Cowan, Danny Johnson, Josh Burge, Kris Trevor, Danny Hughes, Brian Strain, John Reed, Anthony Phillips and Saheed Sankoh. (Loans) Sam Marshall, Mark Stewart, Dane Nichols, Jonathon Goodchild, Daniel Richard, Jordon Yanez, John Law, and Marvin Cook.

Players Out: Danny Johnson (AFC Liverpool), Matt Glass, Lee Watkins, Darren Ward, Mark Talbot, Robbie Vanables and Sean Evans (Swindon Swifts).

Fixtures

With Derby's against Shawbury United and Ellesmere to look forward to it's a very exciting season for Wem Towns fans. Having sold 10 more season tickets that last season, it is clear that the supporters are expecting exciting times in the future.

Formation

I have decided to stay with the same 4-3-3 variation which served me so well last season, and have brought in several wingers which will help support the loan striker.

In summary i am very pleased with the strength in depth of my squad and i'm fully confident of anothe sucessful season. Will update soon...

Archived