[FM10] Oldham Athletic (An era when football was truly the Beautiful game)

oldhambadge.gifoldham1066467.jpg

Patch - 10.3

Database size - Large

Leagues loaded - Full English leagues, Italia (Serie A & B) and Spain (LIGA BBVA)

Manager reputation - Sunday league footballer

Edits - None

Team choosen - Oldham Athletic

Founded - 1895

Club Legends - Andy Ritchie, Roger palmer, Joe royle and Earl Barret

Finances - 300k

Transfer budget - 10k

Wage budget - 30k

Goal - To reach the prem inside 5 seasons without spending vast amounts

Oldham were in the first ever Premiship from 1992-1994 and reached the FA cup semi finals in 1993 but were knocked out by Man united. The match, at Wembley Stadium, looked to be going Oldham's way, with Oldham holding a 1-0 lead until Manchester United's Mark Hughes scored a last gasp equalizer in the penultimate minute of extra time. A poor performance in the replay at Maine Road ended Oldham's hopes, and culminated in a disastrous run of results, with the Latics' failing to win any of their remaining seven fixtures. A month later they were relegated from the Premier League after three seasons in the top flight. It is argued by many Oldham fans that the team never recovered from the Mark Hughes goal.

An interesting piece of trivia is that Oldham defeated Chelsea four times (from six meetings ) between 1991 and 1994 - a fact that many would now consider astounding when viewing the two clubs' current league status.

Oldhams most famous fan is Paul scholes, who was born in Salford, but lived in Oldham and still does to this day with his wife and children, an avid Oldham fan and season ticket holder, he once said if i were to leave Man united theres only one club i would join. Rumours have floated about for years that the Ginger Magician may spend his final playing year at Boundary park to try and change his clubs fortunes. Zinedine Zidane was once asked about Scholes and The Frenchman said: “My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.” He added: “Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest of his generation.” Wouldn't Oldham welcome that kind of player at the moment.

Now in 2010 Unknown manager Mark Chadderton has took over at Boundary park :cool: and plans to bring the glory days back, bringing Scholes to the club is an ambition if we can get back in the prem, maybe he will join as a coach, one thing is for sure its gonna be a interesting ride and the latics fans should be optimistic rather than worrying about an unknown manager taking over.

I have already finished season 1 and was promoted via the play-offs much to the delight of the board who wanted top half finish.

Season 1 - With a transfer budget of only 10k and only 1.5k left for wages it was a case of getting in some loanees 0% wages, my team is not too bad,the two loanees are quality players especially the Chelsea dude. Also have 2 good looking youths. Season 1 and 2 will be consolidating, Ive played an awful lot of friendlys pre - season just for extra cash.

Transfers in and out season 1 -

transfersseason1.jpg

Season 1 progress -

League 1 - 3rd Promoted via Play-offs http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3464/season1leaguefinish.jpg

League cup - Out 2nd round

Fa cup - Out round 5

Johnstones paint trophy - Out Semi-final

Season 2

Total ins and outs -

transferv.jpg

The season has ended and Oldham have scraped into the play-offs in 6th place

Somehow they did this by scoring only 50 goals 2nd lowest in the league, but they also had the 2nd best defence which helps.

League Table - http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2149/champlgtable.jpg

I have drawn nottingham Forest in the Play-off Semi Final

Leg 1 at Boundary Park Lost 2-3 :(

2nd leg -

Notts forest 6/4 Oldham 13/8

Oldham win 1-0, 3-3 agg

Oldham win on penalties :D

Play-off Final

Oldham Athletic 7/2 Wigan 4/6

It ending in heartache, i lost on penalties after drawing 1-1 http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4081/playofffinal.jpg

I didnt realise, but in extra time i took off my 3 best penalty takers and come penalties i didnt have a single taker with 10 stat or above

I really thought i was destined for the prem with my 28k waged squad, but hopefully ill be able to afford better and push on next season, i would of got killed in the prem as my team only last 70 mins and theres so much pace up there.

Season 3 Pre-season has been busy, got rid of the oldies after last seasons consolidating and have picked up some very good free transfers and loans.

Ins and outs so far

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2149/champlgtable.jpg

Good potential youngsters -

John Bostock - Free - Wage - 2.3k

Kelvin Etuhu - Free - Wage - 4.2k

Rodrigo Possebon - Free - Wage - 2.7k

Top season long Loans -

Gael Kakuta from Chelsea

John Fleck from Chelsea

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas from Arsenal

Bargain Buy -

Wade Elliot - 675k

Im hoping the youth in my squad pushes me on, bookies make me 40/1, I'd have a bet on me after last season :cool:

Season 3 -

The signing of David beckham paid off and this time Oldham win 2-1 in the play-off final vs Blackburn, but with such limited resources can they compete in the prem, the stadium has been increased to near 19k, but with a balance of 11m and a thread bare squad after the loans have gone back.

champlgtable.jpg

Hopefully with the Prem TV money added there will be more cash as there are no more free loans when in the Premiship.

Paul scholes may also be joining as a Coach if the prem allows me to offer more wages for staff.

Season 3 complete -

Championship - 4th Promoted via Play-offs

Fa cup - 4th round

League cup - 3rd round

Signing of the season - Rodrigo Possebon - free

Worst signing of the season - Wade Elliot - 675k made only 11 appearances

Board confidence - http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2149/champlgtable.jpg

Season 4 Prem pre-season -

With the 30m TV money coming in and my no spending policy over the last 3 seasons.

Start of season expectations-

Attempt to avoid relegation

Transfer budget - 14.5m

wage budget - 150k, currently 60k

My balance is only 11m though im guessing TV money is paid over the season, i hope so anyways. I may not spend much first season, dont wanna stretch the clubs finances. Ill be looking to bring in 2 quality wingers and a CF, loans will involve fees now, so will have to look elsewhere.

Top targets- Neymar, Nery Castillo, Dentinho and Walter, ill be looking to purchase 1 of those and then mostly loans and free list.

Season 4 start Premier league

Started with Chelsea, Man united and Sunderland first 3 matches, only 1 point from them, still making signings, im done, not spent anything again, which is a risk i know, 4.2m spent and 4.4m sold.

My biggest signings were Ryan babel on a free transfer, Jermaine beckford for 1.1m and Mohammed Tchite free, there wasnt any1 worth spending big on who would join me.

Ins and outs -

champlgtable.jpg

Season 4 completed

Finished 16th in first season of Prem, signed Bikey and John fleck at the end of january which steered me clear of relegation, finished 9 points ahead by the end.

Just agreed to sell babel for 7.5m, got him for free last season so a good deal.

Season 4 results

Premier league - 16th

League cup - Semi final

FA Cup- 4th Round

Player of the season - Jay Emmanuel Thomas 3rd season running Arsenal loanee

Worst signing of the season - El-Hadji Diouf (Free transfer) but bad attitude got rid in january.

Finances looking very healthy, 24m cash balance, 7.5m coming from babel and only 130k total wages, add next years TV money and im hoping for a top 8 after this seasons consolidate.

The board have announced they are increasing the stadia by another 10,000, new capacity - 29.500 :) saving has paid off

Season 5 Pre-season Transfers -

Total out - 9m

Total in - 14.5m

Ins -

Carlos Vela - 3.4m

Nedum Onuoha - 2.4m

Maxwell - 700k

Diego Capel - 1.5m

Chris Smalling - 1.7m

Gui Assulin - 1.6m

Andrea Luci - Free

Allessandro Tuia - Free