Mr Hough 10.3 Tactics

Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Mr Houg!

I'm using your gcs (btw, i thought cs was "corner cheat", sorry :o)

you say the pitch size should be minimum...

why? I'm starting now and i have best results away (old trafford)

i'll keep reporting

cumps

Minimum size pitch is recommended because it's easier to defend this way. Gives less space to your opponents and limits how tired your own players become, because there's less space to cover.

Have to be honest, I didn't expect this to work but it really is. I have tweaked the defence as I wasn't happy in the opening games. Over my last 8 games I have won them all with a goal difference of 20 for and only 3 against.

I am using the classic and my tweaks are: -

CDs -3 closing down - this was far too high and saw them flying into the other half to close down

FBs -2 closing down - they don't get dragged off to the full backs and stay with the wingers

defending corners put the full backs on the posts and make sure the CDs are marking tall players. I noticed too many goals were being conceded at corners.

Have to be honest, I didn't expect this to work but it really is. I have tweaked the defence as I wasn't happy in the opening games. Over my last 8 games I have won them all with a goal difference of 20 for and only 3 against.

CDs -3 closing down - this was far too high and saw them flying into the other half to close down

FBs -2 closing down - they don't get dragged off to the full backs and stay with the wingers

defending corners put the full backs on the posts and make sure the CDs are marking tall players. I noticed too many goals were being conceded at corners.

If it isn't already on click man marking on the back 4 and tight marking yes, This also helps.

Trying these tweaks with my Hearts game. So far played one game only with these. Not sure if these were the cause but I conceded two easy goals early and had to make a comeback to win the match. Prior to this match, I probably conceded 1 goal about every 3 games, using just the default setting on the Classic tactic.

I'll keep testing though and see how your tweaks hold up in a longer term. My next game is the Scottish League Cup final against Rangers, so should be a good test.

UPDATE - Ok, I've played 5 games so far with the above defensive tweaks. Not sure how or why they work for RedBlueEagle so well, but my team has been conceding almost two goals per game since using them. In fact, I've conceded 9 goals in 5 matches. I still won them all, but it's still very concerning at how much I've let in. My advice is to be careful with these tweaks. If the default settings are working for you, then use them. However, if your team is struggling to defend with default settings, then give these tweaks a go and see how it comes out.

In that fifth game, I played with RedBlueEagle's tweaks in the first half, and then switched back to default setting for the second half. My defense looked much more solid after switching back.

Trying these tweaks with my Hearts game. So far played one game only with these. Not sure if these were the cause but I conceded two easy goals early and had to make a comeback to win the match. Prior to this match, I probably conceded 1 goal about every 3 games, using just the default setting on the Classic tactic.

I'll keep testing though and see how your tweaks hold up in a longer term. My next game is the Scottish League Cup final against Rangers, so should be a good test.

UPDATE - Ok, I've played 5 games so far with the above defensive tweaks. Not sure how or why they work for RedBlueEagle so well, but my team has been conceding almost two goals per game since using them. In fact, I've conceded 9 goals in 5 matches. I still won them all, but it's still very concerning at how much I've let in. My advice is to be careful with these tweaks. If the default settings are working for you, then use them. However, if your team is struggling to defend with default settings, then give these tweaks a go and see how it comes out.

In that fifth game, I played with RedBlueEagle's tweaks in the first half, and then switched back to default setting for the second half. My defense looked much more solid after switching back.

Thanks for the analysis

To Mr Hough or anyone that can help.

I've tried to download the tactics but I'm unable to open the files.

Could someone just tell me the basic and advances settings please?

I've tried with Attacking mentality, leaving the default to Counter Attack, which has worked quite well.

I got Leeds promoted twice in 2 seasons, then finished 3rd in Prem with Tottenham, winning League and UEFA cups on route but still find that when I play top sides, I lose quite comfortably.

If someone could tell me the actual settings, I could adjust mine accordingly.

Cheers.

To Mr Hough or anyone that can help.

I've tried to download the tactics but I'm unable to open the files.

Could someone just tell me the basic and advances settings please?

I've tried with Attacking mentality, leaving the default to Counter Attack, which has worked quite well.

I got Leeds promoted twice in 2 seasons, then finished 3rd in Prem with Tottenham, winning League and UEFA cups on route but still find that when I play top sides, I lose quite comfortably.

If someone could tell me the actual settings, I could adjust mine accordingly.

Cheers.

Thanks for the analysis

Don't know if it helps but I didn't have man marking across the back. I had zonal and am going to stick with it for now. I may choose man marking for the full backs but will likely stick to zonal for the central defenders so they dn't get dragged out of position by better forwards.

Don't know if it helps but I didn't have man marking across the back. I had zonal and am going to stick with it for now. I may choose man marking for the full backs but will likely stick to zonal for the central defenders so they dn't get dragged out of position by better forwards.

I agree with you that the man marking for the fullbacks does help, mostly against better teams. The man marking for the center backs needs to be considered more carefully though. Sometimes it's good and other times it's dangerous. I usually just leave mine on zonal.

Now, here's an update after my first season with Heart of Midlothian:

Using the classic tactic we were able to do the double by winning the league and the league cup. We were close to doing the domestic treble but unfortunately lost in the semi final of the Scottish Cup to Celtic. Overall, I'm very happy with our season.

Here's a pic of the table:

spl200910finaltable.png

Here's a screen shot of my team immediately after our last game of the season:

heartsafter200910season.png

And in case anyone is curious about my transfers, here's a pic of them as well:

hearts200910transfers.png

I read on the official Hearts thread of someone doing the treble with them in the first season of which I was skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised that it is indeed possible. The key is to get some good players into the squad, but also ones with the right attributes.

One observation I do have is that Celtic were the toughest team by far that I had to face. Somehow we were able to handle Rangers very well. In fact, we pretty much destroyed them at Ibrox both times we had to play there. However, Celtic were a slightly different story. They played a 4-2-3-1 (2 MCs, 3 AMCs, 1 ST) formation. I'm not sure if it was because of this formation why we struggled or simply because my defense was simply not good enough to contain them. Our only loss (0-3) in the league came against them.

Hello! =)

I have to praise this tactic as well. I'm playing as Lørenskog (a Norwegian third tier team) and was struggling a bit in my second season after being promoted to the second tier division. Played one season there, but felt that I could do a lot better. I really suck at making tactics, and when I do make something halfway decent the AI finds ways to make it obsolete after 3 games. Found this tactic and it worked wonders for me.

Now, it's unreasonable that I should be promoted to the top division, especially without playoffs, but that's what happened. My players are either young or mediocre, so I'd have settled with just a top half finish. Ended up being promoted directly.

Here are a few images from my game:

Games played

th_Gamesplayed.jpg

League table

th_Leaguetable.jpg

Squad

th_Squad.jpg

Formation

th_Selection.jpg

If you find it in your heart to develop something equally effective where you include wingers then I'd be thrilled. I love playing with wingers, but I'm not discarding this tactic until there's a great tactic out there. Cheers again for this. We'll see how it works in the Norwegian top division!

On the classic tactic, i seem to be getting quite a few off-sides against my team. Any ideas on how to combat this?

I recommend you get strikers with better anticipation and off the ball attributes. Also, decent decision making would be good for them too.

I use the classic tactic as well and get called off side rarely.

Have many people had success with Italian teams using these tactics?

Yes, I used it with Milan with a lot of success. Now of course Milan is a great team and would be successful with many tactics. However, I managed to win everything in the first season with almost just the original squad.

Trying to get players with the high stats is your first mistake, You don't have to have high stats to get the best out of the tactic just try and get 3-4 attributtes and you'll be fine.

Anchor man will just break up attacking plays and pass the ball to either the wingbacks for the central mid players.

Mr Hough,

i am planning to try ur tactic tonite. but first can i get some ideas for the midfield and striker positions?

Midfield x3

DMC

MC MC

I've got a variety of midfield players, i'm thinking of this as the best 3

Starters?

DMC Ignachio Camacho

MC Joao Mountiho, MC Miguel Veloso

Rotation?

DMC Jack Rodwell

MC Felipe Melo, MC Raul Garcia

Strikers

Starters?

Adv Diego Forlan, DLF Adriano, Adv Sergio Aguero

Rotation

Adv Reyes, DLF Edin Dzeko, Adv Adrian (from Deportivo)

Mr Hough,

i am planning to try ur tactic tonite. but first can i get some ideas for the midfield and striker positions?

Midfield x3

DMC

MC MC

I've got a variety of midfield players, i'm thinking of this as the best 3

Starters?

DMC Ignachio Camacho

MC Joao Mountiho, MC Miguel Veloso

Rotation?

DMC Jack Rodwell

MC Felipe Melo, MC Raul Garcia

Strikers

Starters?

Adv Diego Forlan, DLF Adriano, Adv Sergio Aguero

Rotation

Adv Reyes, DLF Edin Dzeko, Adv Adrian (from Deportivo)

I think you have a great squad of players with alot of depth there. I think all them players will do a great job in the positions just rotate them to keep them fresh and there morale happy

I think you have a great squad of players with alot of depth there. I think all them players will do a great job in the positions just rotate them to keep them fresh and there morale happy

thx, i have spent 3 seasons building the team. had to sell some key players in season 1 to fund the transfers. i am using At Madrid by the way.

which tactic would u recommend i start trying with? i am looking for something a bit tighter at the back, cos of my good frontline, i think they should be able to score.

Also, the DLP in the middle, should i go for the most techincal and creative striker, ie. Sergio Aguero or Forlan, or the stronger, technical targetman type, Adriano or Dzeko? both are good on their feet and in the air, creative but lack that passing attribute.

My Best 11 would be:

GK Asenjo

DR Rafinha

DL Juan Vargas

DC Gerald Pique

DC Ivan Marcano

DMC Felipe Melo

MC Miguel Veloso

MC Joao Mountinho

STl Diego Forlan

STc Adriano

STr Sergio Aguero

Do u think i need to change my fullbacks? i bought wingbacks because i was using the diamond or box midfield previously. Rafinha and Vargas are no good defensively.

thx, i have spent 3 seasons building the team. had to sell some key players in season 1 to fund the transfers. i am using At Madrid by the way.

which tactic would u recommend i start trying with? i am looking for something a bit tighter at the back, cos of my good frontline, i think they should be able to score.

Also, the DLP in the middle, should i go for the most techincal and creative striker, ie. Sergio Aguero or Forlan, or the stronger, technical targetman type, Adriano or Dzeko? both are good on their feet and in the air, creative but lack that passing attribute.

My Best 11 would be:

GK Asenjo

DR Rafinha

DL Juan Vargas

DC Gerald Pique

DC Ivan Marcano

DMC Felipe Melo

MC Miguel Veloso

MC Joao Mountinho

STl Diego Forlan

STc Adriano

STr Sergio Aguero

Do u think i need to change my fullbacks? i bought wingbacks because i was using the diamond or box midfield previously. Rafinha and Vargas are no good defensively.

Mr. Hough will probably tell you the same thing but I would suggest that you play Aguero as the center striker. That position needs a fast, creative player, with good finishing. Aguero fits the position extremely well. Plus I have experience playing him there in my Milan game. He really excels in that position. He should get you a lot of goals but also a lot of assists. In my own game he usually gets about the same number of assists as goals.

Forlan with probably work in that position as well if you need to rotate.

Dzeko (if you have him) should do well as one of the side strikers. However, I've found that he struggles if you give him too much creative freedom. Also, I found that he performs better if you make him close down more

It's ok if your fullbacks are not that great defensively. If they have high stamina and are quick, then they should be ok. However, it doesn't hurt for them to have good positioning and tackling.

Mr. Hough will probably tell you the same thing but I would suggest that you play Aguero as the center striker. That position needs a fast, creative player, with good finishing. Aguero fits the position extremely well. Plus I have experience playing him there in my Milan game. He really excels in that position. He should get you a lot of goals but also a lot of assists. In my own game he usually gets about the same number of assists as goals.

It's ok if your fullbacks are not that great defensively. If they have high stamina and are quick, then they should be ok. However, it doesn't hurt for them to have good positioning and tackling.

Dirty ace is right but i'd also add passing and crossing aswell because they get in high positions crossing from deep is a bonus and passing the ball to because you will be hitting teams on counter and mainly starting off at right or left back so having good passing is also a bonus to make sure they don't just hoof the ball anywhere.

Dzeko (if you have him) should do well as one of the side strikers. However, I've found that he struggles if you give him too much creative freedom. Also, I found that he performs better if you make him close down more

thx for the advise. i have Dzeko so i would probably play him next to Aguero. Forlan is turning 32, so he could be let go, i have his replacement (also from Uruguay) Edison Cavani who is also technical and good acceleration.

the issue is where to use Adriano. who has been my 2nd best scorer for 3 seasons and is at the prime of his career, only 28-29. If i use him on the left, he might not be able to be effective if he runs wide. And he doesnt have the creative passing boots to play in the center. Hmmmm....

both fullbacks having good crossing, decisions and passing, pace and stamina. Its just that they suck at marking, tackling and heading. positioning also not the best.

will try them out and revert back. i do have DCs who can play in fullback positions. Huge, 6 feet monsters though aka Jelle Van Damme DLC and Jack Rodwell retrained to play DCR, DMC

i like to have a very deep squad, with players trained to play multiple positions. i have basically 2 squads and a few back ups in my 25 man squad. 2 players for every position plus the younger players retrained to play at least 3-4 positions, sometimes L + R or Attack + Defend

Dirty ace is right but i'd also add passing and crossing aswell because they get in high positions crossing from deep is a bonus and passing the ball to because you will be hitting teams on counter and mainly starting off at right or left back so having good passing is also a bonus to make sure they don't just hoof the ball anywhere.

Mr Hough, which tactic should i start with? i'm half way through season 3. next match is Champions League Knockout, against Barcelona away First leg.

Mr Hough, which tactic should i start with? i'm half way through season 3. next match is Champions League Knockout, against Barcelona away First leg.

it depends on you team because you can't just say " Mr hough i need a tactic i'm against Barcelona next game".

I'm not having a go but you can't expect miracles or for me to know what your team, players, morale is when you don't tell me.

Barcelona have an excellent starting squad and it just gets better and better over time, If i where you i'd have a look at the tactics and there settings and see which one would suit you best.

If you want me to help i need more info than you have given me.

thx for the advise. i have Dzeko so i would probably play him next to Aguero. Forlan is turning 32, so he could be let go, i have his replacement (also from Uruguay) Edison Cavani who is also technical and good acceleration.

the issue is where to use Adriano. who has been my 2nd best scorer for 3 seasons and is at the prime of his career, only 28-29. If i use him on the left, he might not be able to be effective if he runs wide. And he doesnt have the creative passing boots to play in the center. Hmmmm....

both fullbacks having good crossing, decisions and passing, pace and stamina. Its just that they suck at marking, tackling and heading. positioning also not the best.

will try them out and revert back. i do have DCs who can play in fullback positions. Huge, 6 feet monsters though aka Jelle Van Damme DLC and Jack Rodwell retrained to play DCR, DMC

i like to have a very deep squad, with players trained to play multiple positions. i have basically 2 squads and a few back ups in my 25 man squad. 2 players for every position plus the younger players retrained to play at least 3-4 positions, sometimes L + R or Attack + Defend

i'm starting to think that the more technical the players the better they will do because in my tottenham save i have Aguero Dzeko Villa Cardozo as my main 4 then i have Tafler and sanago as back up.

Aguero and Villa have been amazing this season scoring 29 goals in 14 league games, The rest haven't been as good there combined score is 18 goals.

The assist rate has also been excellent from Aguero and Villa with 19 Assits combined.

I was just looking at Adriano and he lacks the pace of being out wide and also the passing skills of being in the middle but if you 2 good technical strikers they will proberly play him in as he has great off the ball skills and will be able to find space.

You'll have to try him there and see how he does rotate your front 3 till you find the right balance.

Good luck with your game.

i'm starting to think that the more technical the players the better they will do because in my tottenham save i have Aguero Dzeko Villa Cardozo as my main 4 then i have Tafler and sanago as back up.

Aguero and Villa have been amazing this season scoring 29 goals in 14 league games, The rest haven't been as good there combined score is 18 goals.

The assist rate has also been excellent from Aguero and Villa with 19 Assits combined.

I was just looking at Adriano and he lacks the pace of being out wide and also the passing skills of being in the middle but if you 2 good technical strikers they will proberly play him in as he has great off the ball skills and will be able to find space.

You'll have to try him there and see how he does rotate your front 3 till you find the right balance.

Good luck with your game.

Thx for the advise. my problem when i play Barcelona is that it always ends up a very high scoring game. either 3-2 or 4-3. Very open, and its basically who scores more wins.

i get killed a lot from their midfield. Their lone striker does nothing against me, and normally gets such a poor rating, they always sub him. i get killed by Xavi's long range placed shots or curlers. Also the wingforwards always score from the far post.

but, i score easily against them too. normally my Forwards score really scorchers or on the counter. i do well scoring from corners too. Their DCs lack height after i poached Pique of them... hahhaha

i gave up using my fullbacks to specific man mark their wing forwards, cos their fullbacks overlap and get a free cross into the box or the a late arriving midfielder, ie. Xavi again.

if i dont man-mark on the flanks, i get a 2 on 1 situation, wingforward and fullback against my fullback. if the DMC moves to help, then late runner Xavi kills me again.

i prefer to play Real Madrid, cos their central midfield is much more static and more physical. i normally destroy Madrid by overrunning their midfield and man-marking and hard tackling Ronaldo and Kaka on the wings.

Thx for the advise. my problem when i play Barcelona is that it always ends up a very high scoring game. either 3-2 or 4-3. Very open, and its basically who scores more wins.

i get killed a lot from their midfield. Their lone striker does nothing against me, and normally gets such a poor rating, they always sub him. i get killed by Xavi's long range placed shots or curlers. Also the wingforwards always score from the far post.

but, i score easily against them too. normally my Forwards score really scorchers or on the counter. i do well scoring from corners too. Their DCs lack height after i poached Pique of them... hahhaha

i gave up using my fullbacks to specific man mark their wing forwards, cos their fullbacks overlap and get a free cross into the box or the a late arriving midfielder, ie. Xavi again.

if i dont man-mark on the flanks, i get a 2 on 1 situation, wingforward and fullback against my fullback. if the DMC moves to help, then late runner Xavi kills me again.

i prefer to play Real Madrid, cos their central midfield is much more static and more physical. i normally destroy Madrid by overrunning their midfield and man-marking and hard tackling Ronaldo and Kaka on the wings.

instead of man marking there fullback or wide forward try closing down and/or tight marking on them and just tight mark close down always on xavi put your d line up abit too so they can't shot from distance