How to beat Real Madrid's 4-2-4 formation

Okay, i am Shakhtar Donetsk, absolutely romping the League and upto now Champions League, however ive been drawn against Real Madrid in the quarter final for the second season running. Last time i lost to them at this stage. I'm looking for tips as to the best ways to counter their system / players.

They are playing as follows:

---------------------------Casillas-----------------------------

Lahm------------Chiellini------------ B.Alves----------- Maicon

----------------Gourcuff------------ Pepe---------------------

Kaka/Cazorla------------------------------------------ Ronaldo

-----------------Dzeko------------- Benzema------------------

Any ideas guys?

I just beat them in the Champions league, with a 4-4-1-1 system as Man United.

Counter attack, exploit the flanks, deep defensive line, stand off with easy tackling (to keep defensive shape). If you press too much their movement will pull your defense out of position. I man-marked Ronaldo using Park.

They were very vulnerable to quick counter attacks.

Hope this helps!

Howard is completely on the right track here.

The front four play quite isolated from the rest of the team, so you should be looking to defend against that front four to the best of your ability and then exploit their defensive shape on the counter-attack.

Because of the particular shape of Real Madrid, playing defensive players on the wings and attacking through the middle to wide forwards is a particularly effective strategy.

Setup a back four with two man marking wingers and then use the central midfield to attack Real Madrid. Their defenders are far from great and you can usually count on a late run from one of your midfielders to really disturb them and find space around the box.

I have also noticed, early in the game, that the real player of threat is Raul dropping deep despite the presence of Kaka, Ronaldo etc. Raul is an incredibly lethal player if you let him roam around the attacking central area of the pitch, but all other threats tend to be pretty obvious and direct and relatively easy to deal with. Use your central midfield to close him down regularly, and then bomb forward on the counter. This back-and-forth central midfield play is the crux of the game against Madrid in my opinion.

Real Madrid play defence tactic even as 4-2-4, they keep the ball back and play slow, they wait for the other team to come up and like this they creat space, like the others say here, stand off is vital but also pass into space and wide can help.

this realy the best players in the game, so to only way counter is by media. last match i was against manchester city and i target the GK Shay Given, i told the media that i think is the weakeast link and is moral drop to okay. some times its not working and players get motivation, if you not sure dont pick one that all ready got low moral so you dont boost hem :)

best of luck and sorry for my english :)

Howard is completely on the right track here.

The front four play quite isolated from the rest of the team, so you should be looking to defend against that front four to the best of your ability and then exploit their defensive shape on the counter-attack.

Because of the particular shape of Real Madrid, playing defensive players on the wings and attacking through the middle to wide forwards is a particularly effective strategy.

Setup a back four with two man marking wingers and then use the central midfield to attack Real Madrid. Their defenders are far from great and you can usually count on a late run from one of your midfielders to really disturb them and find space around the box.

I have also noticed, early in the game, that the real player of threat is Raul dropping deep despite the presence of Kaka, Ronaldo etc. Raul is an incredibly lethal player if you let him roam around the attacking central area of the pitch, but all other threats tend to be pretty obvious and direct and relatively easy to deal with. Use your central midfield to close him down regularly, and then bomb forward on the counter. This back-and-forth central midfield play is the crux of the game against Madrid in my opinion.

The point about Raul is absolutely right. Ronaldo was much easier to mark out the game using a defensive winger set to man mark him

I actually found greater success attackimg the flanks though. I set my mc's to mixed/direct passing down both flanks, and even though Park was a defensive winger, he got forward alot (as did Valencia) and we got behind them regularly behind the full backs. Having Rooney and Giggs (striker and att mid) set to 'move into channels helped too. We'd play long to the flanks, and players would get forward quickly to support the runner. Created lots of chances from crosses

Thats wird, my scouts always say, they strugle against the HIGH defense line/normal tempo/normal width, which is how i play against them and win in 90% of games against them.

But im also usualy managing a club with good reputation, so..maybe thats the reason.

I actually found greater success attackimg the flanks though. I set my mc's to mixed/direct passing down both flanks, and even though Park was a defensive winger, he got forward alot (as did Valencia) and we got behind them regularly behind the full backs. Having Rooney and Giggs (striker and att mid) set to 'move into channels helped too. We'd play long to the flanks, and players would get forward quickly to support the runner. Created lots of chances from crosses

Thats my point about the wide forwards. Get your forwards to pull wide and get your midfielders to rush forward in support.

Wide is definately the area you can construct attacks, but you cannot afford to use wide players due to the pace and direct threat of Madrids wide players. Use your forwards and central midfielders to construct and then finish attacks from wide positions. Central attacking forwards will be gobbled up by their two DMs anyway. You need forwards that "run channels".

To be fair though, it looks like two slightly different takes on the same principle. You used your wide midfielders and I used wide forwards to construct chances for on-rushing midfielders.

Archived