Targeting Players

Hi, so I've been trying to achieve this, but I've not been reaping the right results from the ME at the moment.

I'm talking about targeting players but only with the ball - not in terms of tackling. An example would be the use of a winger's touchline hugging to pin back an opposition's attacking full-back. I understand the Defensive Winger exists for this purpose, but the main thing here is regarding the control I can exert over the man-to-man assignments.

I like to play zonal marking throughout the team, and I understand it has its flaws, but that's just my philosophy of play. However, sometimes there's just that one player (or two) that can easily threaten my defense, such as a marauding full-back (Chelsea comes to mind). Is it possible to have, say, Valencia almost pin, say, Ashley Cole, back simply by attacking and running at him? Not as a Defensive Winger and cutting out play, but from an attacking point of view, giving Cole the responsibility of having to track back to defend against Valencia, hereby taking the sting out of his forward runs?

So far I've been doing this with player marking. I have Valencia hugging the touchline and marking specifically the left back (set this every match), and on Tight Marking. This doesn't quite work though, as the winger is still not playing purely wide and taking on the full-back as we see in real life; sometimes, Valencia even goes to take on a defensive midfielder or a center-back instead, leaving Cole free for a counter-attack down the left or something.

Oh, and I'm using Patch 10.3. Thanks.

I watch on extended and it's already seemingly longer on 10.3 for some reason...I don't think the full match thing is quite feasible for me personally.

And yeah I know the use of the defensive winger but I have the impression it's a more or less defense-based role which lowers the attacking threat of the winger? Plus, how would it work in a central position without the defensive winger role? I'm interested in the man to man 'combat' in that, such as between an AM and an opposition DM.

I suppose the suggested method is man marking, but what I really want is for the offensive phase 'targeting' instead of the defensive one.

Archived