[FM10] Howay the Bay - From Whitley to Wembley

ism-scfc

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers

I haven't played it for a while, but I restarted it a few days ago and I'm getting back into it. If I wasn't so terrible at this game, we might advance up the leagues a bit, but I wouldn't count on it!

March 2012

League: Billingham Synthonia 0-0 Whitley Bay

A dull game at Central Avenue, Bay probably the better side, but not by enough to deserve all the points. The game was notable for the return of Leon Ryan from his latest fractured kneecap, making a late substitute appearance. I can only hope he’s the same player he was, but doubt it.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 South Shields (Ryan (2))

Big Leon’s back and he’s making sure everyone knows about it! He opened the scoring by flicking Paul Buzzeo’s cross into the back of the net for 1-0, and then converted a one-on-one late on to secure the points

League: Penrith 1-2 Whitley Bay (Dunning, Livermore)

Penrith’s World Group Stadium is another one we always struggle at and today was no different as we seemed to be going down to a 50th minute Warren Byrne goal. The last five minutes changed the game though, as firstly Darren Dunning equalised with a controlled volley and then a shocker by the Penrith keeper allowed Robbie Livermore an open goal to take all 3 points back eastwards down the A66.

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Shildon (Wiggins-Thomas)

An injury to Ben Edwards causing him to return to Blyth allowed Leon Ryan a start in this game, and it was his knock down for Reuben Wiggins-Thomas that created the only goal of the game, as the former Chesterfield winger smashed the ball home for the winner.

League: Bishop Auckland 1-1 Whitley Bay (Ryan)

A mistake by the Bishop Auckland keeper allowed Leon Ryan to open the scoring at Brewery Field, as he continued his comeback, but we couldn’t claim all three points, as a 90th minute wonder strike from Billy Chamberlain earned promotion chasing Bishop Auckland a fortunate point.

Player of the Month: It’s clear that Leon Ryan isn’t the same player as he was before he spent 10 of the last 12 months out injured, but with or without his knees, he’ll always be there for the Bay, popping up and scoring vital goals just when they are needed. The question now is has he done enough to earn another year at Hillheads, despite having knees that may just explode at any moment?

April 2012

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Birtley Town (Livermore, Ryan)

Birtley didn’t really offer any sort of resistance, but Robbie Livermore’s goal to open the scoring was pretty special – a wonder striker from 35 yards the looped over the keeper! That was followed in the second half by another Leon Ryan strike as he continues to show why he is so much of a Bay legend.

League: Northallerton Town 1-0 Whitley Bay

After going 3 months undefeated in the league since losing to Chester-le-Street in January, it was quite disappointing to lose to Northallerton in the final away game of the season. Northallerton have now done the double over us, and we were well beaten in both games without much of a fight. Before the game, it was announced that Scott MacDonald had signed a one year deal with West Allotment Celtic for next season, and he got a polite round of applause from the Bay following for two years of good service from him, most notably his last minute penalty against Washington to take the Bay to last season’s League Cup final.

League: Whitley Bay 0-0 West Auckland Celtic

If you had looked at this last day fixture at the start of the season, and said that one of the teams would have their eyes on an FA Vase final instead of this game, you wouldn’t have surprised anyone. What would have surprised people however, is if you had said that it would be West Auckland ,and not the Bay, who would have their eyes on a forthcoming trip to Wembley! They will be playing the oldest club in the world, Sheffield FC, when they get there, but even with that on their minds, we still couldn’t beat them, and Bedlington Terriers and Newcastle Benfield slipped above us as we eventually finished 6th despite amassing more points than in last season’s 5th place finish.

Player of the month: A difficult one, as no-one really impressed, but keeper Josh Mimms saved us from defeat on the last day against West Auckland.

Final League Table

Season Review 2011-12

Northern League Division 1

Not close to as bad as I thought it would be. A terrible start with a few shocking signings on big wages which I take responsibility for, but when we got the team right, we really gelled and we could have done much better than we did had we started better

FA Cup

A big improvement, as we beat Wembley and Colne before going out to a very good Leigh Genesis side, and even then we were unfortunate. Had we settled for a replay after our comeback, you never know what might have happened, but we tried to win it on the day and paid the price

FA Vase

A total disaster! Went out in the 1st Round proper to a poor Atherton Collieries side that absolutely battered us. A big improvement needed next season

Northumberland Senior Cup

I hate this competition after last year, and we went out in the first round to North Shields. Not too disappointed

Brooks Mileson Cup

A dismal attempt to retain the trophy as we fell at the first hurdle to a very poor West Allotment Celtic side, who really seem to love winning at Hillheads. We just can’t beat them!

Key Players

Josh Mimms – Signed from Cheadle Town to replace the disappointing Tom Kindley, and quickly made the number one shirt his own.

Liam Cattermole – His first year as captain, and it won’t be his last. Yet another solid season for the Bay legend, chosen by the fans as Player of the Season again!

Paul Buzzeo – We needed a good player to replace Michael Kay, and we got one! My coaches keep telling me he’s rubbish and to get rid, but he got consistently high ratings and was shortlisted for Northern league player of the season, so that’ll do me!

Rob Gier – He’s a right back by trade, but he’s been oozing class in central defence ever since we brought him in from Ascot in October.

Darren Dunning – Another excellent season for the club’s vice captain who has simply been a revelation since we brought him in two years ago

Robbie Livermore – With McCrudden returning to Newcastle we needed some quality in for the right wing, and we needed to look no further than North Shields, who had him on an amateur contract. Big mistake, but they didn’t need him anyway as they won the league.

Ben Edwards – Signed as a centre-half, ended up being my star striker. I suppose you take what luck you can get

Northern league Player of the Season

Stephen Buzzeo – I thought that our Paul Buzzeo might get it, but they went for his younger brother Stephen, of Newcastle Benfield, instead.

Fans' Player of the Season

Liam Cattermole – When you’ve no idea, go for the fans fave!

My Player of the Season

Paul Buzzeo – The other full back to the fans, as he was consistently better than his captain all season.

Last Season's Aims:

1. Make the Play Offs - There are a lot of good teams in this league next season, especially with Bedlington back, so whilst it would be great to win the league, my aim is that 2nd place and another crack at the play offs

Had we started better, we would definitely have done this. North Shields were too strong in the end, but whoever has come 2nd in the Northern League in each of the first 3 seasons has always lost the play off. First Whitley Bay, then South Shields and now Bishop Auckland

2. Reach the FA Vase Semi-Final - The Vase semi finals now seem our home, last season was just a blip, and especially with Coalville no longer here, I'm confident of returning next season

Oh dear! We never even got close to doing this. Forget Coalville, we were smashed by a poor team in the 1st round!

3. Retain the League Cup - With Spennymoor gone, this could our real chance of silverware again, and it’s always a great feeling to retain a trophy

Was really disappointing to lose to West Allotment, as this was a competition we had a genuine chance of winning!

Next Season's Aims:

1. Get Promoted – Champions, Play offs, I don’t care, I just want to get out of this god awful league!

2. Reach the Vase semi – Same aim as last season, and we’d better give it a better shot this time around.

Career so far:

Season     League                    Position     Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2011-12    Northern League D1       6th           
2010-11    Northern League D1       5th           Brooks Mileson Cup Champions
2009-10    Northern League D1       2nd           FA Vase Runners Up

Summer Dealings:

Out:

Scott MacDonald (West Allotment Celtic - free)

Gavin Wilson (released)

Gavin Walker (released)

Michael Wilkinson (released)

Mohammed Dikuiza (released – has since joined Hucknall Town)

In:

Wayne Boden (Chester-le-Street)

Andrew Maitland (Blyth Spartans – loan made permanent)

Omari Coleman (Skelmersdale)

Ben Edwards (Blyth Spartans – loan made permanent)

Charlie Hutton (Loughborough University)

Sunny Bello (Deal Town)

Squad Numbers 2011/12

1. Josh Mimms

2. Paul Buzzeo

3. Liam Cattermole ©

4. Darren Dunning (vc)

5. Rob Gier

6. Andrew Maitland

7. Reuben Wiggins-Thomas

8. Nick Potter

9. Leon Ryan

10. Ben Edwards

11. Matt Phelan

12. Tom Kindley

14. Richard Flynn

15. Harry Scarlett

16. James Curley

17. Garry Harris

18. Charlie Hutton

19. Wayne Boden

20. Omari Coleman

21. Sunny Bello

23. Robbie Livermore

26. Lee Carsley

Pleased with the summer dealings, this is a team capable of big things! All the crap went out - the likes of Wilkinson who was just crap despite scoring loads for South Shields and the likes of Dikuiza who just looked half arsed every time he played. Coming in, Wayne Boden is a young defender who looked good for Chester-le-Street, and Andrew Maitland is a defender who we stole from underneath North Shields’ nose after we both had him on loan last season. Omari Coleman should bring us goals – he’s a big powerful striker from Skelmersdale United. I was delighted to have the chance to make Ben Edwards’ loan permanent. His contribution was important last season, and this time, he’s very much a striker, not a defender! Charlie Hutton is a good player released by Loughborough University, the same club we signed Darren Dunning from. If he’s half as good, it’ll be the deal of the season! Finally, Sunny Bello comes from Kent side Deal Town with a low reputation, low average ratings, but some promising attributes, and at only 19, I think we may have unearthed a star of the future!

New contracts were given to Leon Ryan, Tom Kindley and Matt Phelan. Leon’s end of season form definitely earned him a deal, even if he’ll only be backup. Tom is still a quality keeper and will give good backup to Josh Mimms, and Matt is a strange player. He really is the kind of player you want in your team. He’s not supremely talented, but he’ll give 100% every game, which is sometimes invaluable in close battling games. Sometimes, his desire to get forward and score or cross is the difference between victory and defeat, so I’m delighted to give him a new deal.

July 2012

Friendly: Clitheroe 2-2 Whitley Bay (Hutton, Ryan)

We played this friendly 2 years ago, and lost 3-1, so I was pleased that we clawed back a two goal deficit to draw in Lancashire on this occasion.

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-3 Glenn Hoddle Academy

We’ve got steadily worse against the academy over the years, or have they just got better? Either way, they comfortably beat us here.

Friendly: Whitley Bay 2-0 Lancaster City (Ryan, Boden (pen))

We debuted our new red away kit in this game, despite it being at home, and we beat Lancaster City 2-0 thanks to Leon Ryan and a Wayne Boden penalty.

Friendly: Whitley Bay 1-6 Leeds United (Ryan)

Well beaten by a much better side, but this was about the capacity crowd and the money, not what happened on the pitch. Leon Ryan’s goal was a moment to savour though – the moment that Whitley Bay scored against Leeds United’s first team!

Friendly: Sunderland Ryhope CA 0-2 Whitley Bay (Livermore, Wiggins-Thomas)

A routine friendly win against a side from the league below

August 2012

Friendly: Whitley Bay 1-2 Macclesfield Town (Wiggins-Thomas)

A great show of Friday night football, and a great performance as we took the lead against a league side, and only lost the game due to a 82nd minute deflected goal.

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-3 Stockport County

I wasn’t sure if I wanted this friendly or not, but pitting my two favourite teams against each other was less of a match than I would have wanted. In reality, this match shouldn’t have been less than 20 hours after the Macclesfield one.

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-2 Grimsby Town

Another good show against a League side, but Grimsby proved too strong for us in the end

League: Seaham Red Star 1-1 Whitley Bay (Dunning)

Darren Dunning scored the opening goal of the campaign after 27 minutes, but controversy followed. Ben Edwards was on the floor for at least 30 seconds before Seaham scored their equaliser with 5 minutes to go. The Whitley players were less than happy, but had to settle for a point

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round: St. Francis Rangers 1-2 Whitley Bay (Coleman, Buzzeo (pen))

Omari Coleman opened the scoring in Sussex, but the lead was let slip when Lewis Swift equalised just after half time. Bay were given a lifeline, however, when the referee gave them a soft penalty in the 87th minute and Paul Buzzeo dispatched it to avoid the need for a replay

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Dunston UTS (Buzzeo (pen))

A strange happening led to the only goal of Bay’s first home game of 2012/13. Just like at St. Francis on Saturday, we were awarded a soft penalty, but this time Paul Buzzeo’s spot kick was saved by the Dunston keeper. The ball ran out to Matt Phelan who was then fouled in the area. Another penalty, given less than five seconds after the first one was saved. This time, Buzzeo made no mistake, and Bay held on to win 1-0.

League: Ashington 0-1 Whitley Bay (Livermore)

Robbie Livermore scored the only goal of the game as Whitley Bay go to the top of Northern League division 1 for the first time since December 2009. Livermore ran onto Nick Potter’s through ball, and finished on the second attempt after the first shot had been blocked.

Player of the Month: Paul Buzzeo scored a couple of penalties, but this award is for his excellence at right full back, not from twelve yards.

September 2012

FA Cup Preliminary Round: Whitley Bay 1-0 Liversedge (Coleman)

Whitley booked their place in the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup for the third consecutive year with Omari Coleman’s 12th minute strike against Yorkshire side Liversedge.

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Billingham Town (Coleman)

Another goal for Omari Coleman, as Whitley march on up the league. We were knocked off the top on Saturday due to our cup participation, but we keep the pace right up with Tow Law and Chester-le-Street with these 3 points.

League: Tow Law Town 1-0 Whitley Bay

Bay were beaten by table topping Tow Law today, and we can’t really complain. We were battered all game, and they got their reward for their dominance on 67 minutes when a free kick found Marquin Smith unmarked at the far post. He simply couldn’t miss, and gave Josh Mimms no chance.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 South Shields (Edwards (2))

South Shields are the side that we always beat at home and always lose to away. This was no different, as Ben Edwards got both goals as we sauntered to three points at Hillheads, where we’ve won every competitive game we’ve played this season. After three long years away, it seems Fortress Hillheads is back!

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round: Whitley Bay 1-0 Abingdon United (Livermore)

Oxfordshire side Abingdon from the league above visited Hillheads, but couldn’t cope with Bay at times. They seemed to have done enough to earn a replay until Robbie Livermore ran onto Rob Gier’s hoofed clearance to score and put Bay into the 2nd Qualifying Round for the first time. Blue Square North side Kettering Town await.

League: Birtley Town 1-0 Whitley Bay

A strange refereeing decision changed the course of this game, when last man Rob Gier brought down Richard Gundelach on the edge of the area, five minutes before half time. The obvious decision would be free kick and red card for Gier, but our referee had other ideas. He gave Birtley a penalty for a foul outside the box, but gave Gier a yellow card for his last man foul. They converted the penalty, and even with eleven men, we couldn’t get back into the game, and Birtley held on. They say that the refs are just as bad as the players at this level – they’re not wrong!

FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round: Whitley Bay 4-0 Southwick (Dunning, Edwards (2), Bello)

Brighton based side Southwick had no chance against a far superior Bay side at Hillheads Park. Darren Dunning gave us the lead after 14 minutes, and then first Ben Edwards and then Sunny Bello both scored with headers to put Bay 3-0 up inside half an hour. It was four before half time, when Edwards got himself a second goal. The second half was much less exciting and was goalless, but the job was already done.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round: Whitley Bay 2-2 Kettering Town (Bello, Livermore)

It was a bumper four figure attendance at Hillheads Park for the visit of Blue Square North side Kettering Town. Bay’s fans knew that they were just three wins away from the first round proper of the FA Cup and Kettering are far from unbeatable. The first half was goalless with Kettering looking more threatening, but the golden moment came just six minutes after half time, when Nick Potter’s through ball found Sunny Bello onside, and he was never, ever, going to miss. Northern League 1-0 Blue Square North. Kettering pushed to get back into the game, but got nothing until the 81st minute when Bay failed to properly clear a corner and Tristan Plummer took full advantage to equalise. It got worse for Bay when Will Hatfield looped a shot over Josh Mimms and into the top corner five minutes later, but then Whitley heads rose up and rallied together. A triple substitution, throwing every attacking player on the seven man bench on did the trick, as Robbie Livermore snatched his chance in the 94th minute to set up a lucrative replay at Rockingham Road.

Player of the month: There were a few candidates for this in a very good month, but none more deserving than Ben Edwards, who popped up with four goals and played a crucial part.

October 2012

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round replay: Kettering Town 2-0 Whitley Bay

No-one expected to even get this far, so winning this one wasn’t even in the thoughts and any chances we did have were thrown out just past the ten minute mark when Stephen Thompson and Mitchell Bryant scored two goals in a minute to put the hosts 2-0 up. Bay substitute Leon Ryan came closest to replying, but keeper Rob Beckwith was equal to it. The cup run ended with defeat at Rockingham Road, but the confidence gained from it will help us in both the league and the vase.

FA Vase 1st Round: Whickham 0-2 Whitley Bay (Bello, Potter)

We’ve not played a league game for 3 weeks, resulting in us falling down the table to 7th, but with 3 games in hand. We’ve now played Whickham 3 times since I took charge, and we’ve beaten them 2-0 on all 3 occasions. Sunny Bello and Nick Potter got the goals to take us to Round 2, but the game was marred by two rash Whickham tackles causing injuries to both Liam Cattermole and Sunny Bello, both unnecessary tackles when the game was already gone. Such a shame.

League: Whitley Bay 3-1 West Allotment Celtic (Maitland, Coleman, Flynn)

Whitley took the lead when Andrew Maitland smashed home Nick Potter’s corner, but rather predictably, it was Scott MacDonald who got Celtic’s equaliser against his former club. Whitley managed to get the win though, when Omari Coleman and Richard Flynn scored in the second half.

League: Newcastle Benfield 1-1 Whitley Bay (Coleman)

Omari Coleman gave Whitley the lead after just 4 minutes at Sam Smith’s Park, but we couldn’t hold onto the lead and Tony McLaughlin equalised for Benfield with 12 minutes to go.

League: Whitley Bay 3-1 Esh Winning (Coleman (2), Maitland)

Bay got off to a bad start at Hillheads when Garry Cook gave Esh Winning a 3rd minute lead, but an Omari Coleman goal either side of half time gave Whitley the lead, and then Andrew Maitland sealed the win with a header at the end.

League: Whitley Bay 3-2 West Auckland Town (Edwards (2), Buzzeo (pen))

Remarkably for mid-october, this was Whitley’s first Saturday home league match of the season, and it was a classic to mark the occasion. Ben Edwards opened the scoring when he headed Omari Coleman’s cross home, but last year’s FA Vase champions were level within 2 minutes when Peter Molyneaux ran through to score. Whitley went back infront on 66 minutes when Paul Buzzeo scored a penalty, but this time, the lead lasted just 3 minutes before Darren Thomas lashed home a second equaliser. Whitley were shocked but rallied round and got their reward when Ben Edwards headed home Paul Buzzeo’s cross for the winner. West Auckland appeared for offside, but Edwards had timed his run to perfection to preserve Bay’s 100% home record in the league.

League: Billingham Synthonia 0-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

The only goal of the game came after just 29 seconds, when Ben Edwards hooked home a goalmouth scramble. Billingham pressured the bay for the remainder of the game, but couldn’t find a way through in an excellent defensive performance.

League: Whitley Bay 0-1 Penrith

A disappointing way to lose our 100% home record. It was the day before Halloween but no-one told the Bay players, as they clearly thought it was the day itself. We never really looked like scoring, and Penrith got more and more into the game as it went on, culminating in conceding an 85th minute goal when Craig l’Anson rose highest from a wide free kick.

Player of the Month: It was an excellent month, and a lot of that was down to the impressive Ben Edwards, who was simply unplayable at times. I take a lot of the credit too, as I managed to win only my second ever Manager of the Month award.

League Table

November 2012

League: Horden Colliery Welfare 1-0 Whitley Bay

The manager of the month curse certainly seems to have struck as we went down to our second consecutive defeat to a Horden side that lined up 4-2-4 from the start. We couldn’t expose their vast empty spaces out wide, and we were punished for it when they scored an 88th minute winner

League: Whitley Bay 3-1 Bishop Auckland (Edwards, Ryan (2))

This game started as the last two finished, as we conceded early, but this time we turned it around through Ben Edwards and Leon Ryan before the undoubted goal of the season occurred in the 87th minute. Leon Ryan picked the ball up outside the Main stand dugouts, inside his own half and spotted the Bishop Auckland keeper on the edge of his box, before unleashing a massive shot that completely lobbed him, leaving him extremely red faced, having been beaten from the opposite half of the field.

League: Whickham 1-3 Whitley Bay (Ryan (2), Hutton)

Leon Ryan scored twice early on in the Gateshead suburb to open the scoring, before Whickham pulled one back through Luke Rooney. The two goal cushion was restored however, when Charlie Hutton lashed home from the edge of the box two minutes later.

League: Whitley Bay 1-3 Bedlington Terriers (Maitland)

November is turning into a very bad month. James Gregory gave Bedlington the lead after 5 minutes at Hillheads Park, but Andrew Maitland headed home Nick Potter’s corner to equalise. John Alexander capitalised on a mistake from former Terrier Richard Flynn to restore the away side’s lead before Ashley Townsend sealed the points by deflecting Stuart Elliott’s free kick past the helpless Josh Mimms in the second half.

FA Vase 2nd Round: Downham Town 1-1 Whitley Bay (Buzzeo (pen))

Whitley gained an early boost in Cambridgeshire when Robbie Livermore was fouled and the ref awarded a penalty, which Paul Buzzeo converted to give the 2002 and 2009 champions the lead. Whitley tried to sit back to see out the remainder of the game, but it didn’t work, as Gary Page hit the equaliser to force a Hillheads replay

FA Vase 2nd Round Replay: Whitley Bay 1-2 Downham Town (Coleman)

Whitley Bay have crashed out of the Vase before the turn of the year in the third year in succession. They haven’t been past the new year in the competition since losing the Wembley final in 2010. Whitley’s injury problems meant that they were forced to play a midfield of Leon Brady and Chris Baker, two 17 year olds, neither of which had ever played a senior game or been particularly outstanding in the youth team. There was no senior midfielder in sight for this massive game though, so I was left with no option but to basically write ‘INEXPERIENCE’ right across the middle of the Hillheads pitch. We paid the price for it when we fell 2-0 down in the first half to goals from Tony Lewis and Neil Armstrong. Omari Coleman got one back and you started to feel that if we equalised, we’d blow Downham away in extra time, but it wasn’t to be, and they held out to book their place in Round 3. Now for the league then!

League: Chester-le-Street Town 0-3 Whitley Bay (Livermore, Coleman, Cattermole)

Normal service resumed in the League, as we ran out comfortable 3-0 victors at title challenging CLS. Robbie Livermore gave us the lead just before half time, and then Omari Coleman doubled the lead. It was very fitting that captain fantastic Liam Cattermole who very rarely finds the net, should make the points safe in stoppage time. We’re the famous Whitley Bay and we’re gonna win the league!

Brooks Mileson Cup 2nd Round: Eccleshill United 2-1 Whitley Bay (Phelan) (aet)

I fielded a second string for this, but it didn’t seem to work as Matt Phelan didn’t seem to understand the message I was sending him, and gave us the lead after 34 minutes. I must have said the right thing at half time though as he managed to miss a hatful of unmissables in the second half and James Paine equalised for Eccleshill. Into extra time, and just as we were about to go to penalties, Paine popped up again to knock us out. Mission Accomplished! It is a shame that I’m so glad to be out of the cup we won two years ago, but we have much bigger fish to fry this season I’m afraid.

Player of the Month: The very underrated Omari Coleman really links the attack to the midfield very well. He’s strong as a bull and has a good finish too, and is an important part of our team. He had a very good month in November when no-one else really did.

December 2012

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Shildon (Livermore (2))

This top vs bottom encounter is the first of four successive home games in just over two weeks that could make or break our season. This one was pretty straightforward, Robbie Livermore getting both goals as relegation threatened Shildon couldn’t cope with the Livermore/Buzzeo combination down the right.

League: Whitley Bay 2-1 Seaham Red Star (Coleman, Edwards)

Our defence went to sleep when the ball came in from the right, allowing Dean Maynard a free header to put Seaham ahead, but we came through to win it when first Omari Coleman bulldozed his way through the Seaham defence to equalise, helped by their obvious unwillingness to tackle him, and then Ben Edwards headed the winner to make it 3 wins from the last 3 league games.

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Ashington (Edwards)

It looked like this one was heading for 0-0 until the 89th minute, when Rob Gier’s hoofed clearance fell for Ben Edwards. The former Brentford and Blyth striker didn’t really know where the ball was, but thankfully for him, neither did goalkeeper Karl Dryden, as he completely misjudged it allowing Edwards the simplest of tap-ins after he had recovered his bearings

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Northallerton Town (Edwards)

Four home games on the fixture list have turned into twelve points on the board. Northallerton have been a real threat this season, right up with the challengers for the league, but they went down to a 20th minute Ben Edwards goal at Hillheads. The day’s most important result though, was not this one, but Tow Law Town’s 2-1 defeat at Chester-le-Street’s Moor Park, opening up a six point gap between the top two. Tow Law do have a game in hand, but it’s a tough one at home to Northallerton on New Year’s Day, so things are looking good at Hillheads Park. Will that Silverware be making the short journey from North Shields to line the Bay trophy cabinet for the first time since 2007?

League: Billingham Town 1-0 Whitley Bay

What a disappointment to lose this one after five straight wins. The only goal of the game was scored by Tom Richardson from the spot after Richard Flynn had fouled Chris Knowles.

League: Norton & Stockton Ancients 0-0 Whitley Bay

Quite a merry Christmas on Teesside as we remain top of the league despite failing to score for the second game running. All the best chances fell to Ben Edwards, but Ancients keeper Danny Morton was equal to them.

League: Dunston UTS 1-4 Whitley Bay (Gier, Coleman (2 pens), Livermore)

Bay got off to a great start at Federation Park, when Rob Gier headed Liam Cattermole’s corner home to give the away side the lead. It got better in the second half, when Andrew Maitland’s header was blocked by a defender’s arm, and Omari Coleman converted the resulting penalty. Darren Dunning was instrumental in the third goal, as he played in Robbie Livermore to make it 3-0. Daniel Neary pulled one back for Dunston in the 88th minute but the three goal cushion was restored when James Curley was blocked off in the box, and Omari Coleman again converted from twelve yards. An excellent way to finish the month as we are now comfortable table toppers with four months and 17 games to go.

Player of the Month: A difficult one as it was a very good month in general, but Rob Gier was as solid as a rock at the back throughout. He also scored a crucial goal at Dunston to send the Bay six points clear at the top

League Table

January 2013

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Tow Law Town (Potter)

This top of the table clash looked like it was heading for 0-0, especially after Josh Mimms saved Belal Aiteouakrim’s 19th minute penalty, but Tow Law failed to clear a 94th minute corner, and Nick Potter was on hand to poke the ball home and keep all three points by the seaside. South Shields’ 2-0 reverse at Esh Winning now means that Whitley have an 8 point lead from 2nd placed West Auckland with just 16 games to go. Does the Northern Premier League beckon?

League: South Shields 1-0 Whitley Bay

An injury sustained to Josh Mimms in training meant an opportunity for Tom Kindley in this one. He didn’t disappoint, making a few quality saves and generally impressing. It’s disappointing to lose this one after a great win on Saturday but we’re still six points clear of our friends south of the Tyne. Vince Webb scored the only goal from the penalty spot after Paul Buzzeo had fouled Andy McCoy

League: Esh Winning 0-0 Whitley Bay

Disappointing result, but this game belonged to the referee who sent off Darren Dunning for taking the ball in a good challenge, and then failed to send off Esh Winning’s Dave Anderson for a horror challenge on Nick Potter

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Birtley Town (Livermore)

This one looked comfortable early on and even more so when Robbie Livermore gave us the lead after 40 minutes. Livermore was about to double the lead in the second half, but had his legs taken, so James Curley stepped up from the spot, but saw his kick saved by Birtley keeper Peter Bates. Whitley paid the price when a deflected cross fell into the path of Ashley Harper, who equalised for Birtley. Two vital points dropped in the promotion race. January was a bad month in which too many points were dropped - February must be better!

Player of the Month: Robbie Livermore was excellent throughout January, when his team mates around him were faltering.

League Table

February 2013

League: West Allotment Celtic 0-0 Whitley Bay

More points dropped, but the teams around us all lost, leading to us expanding the gap. I’ll put this down as an opportunity missed instead.

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Norton and Stockton Ancients (Edwards)

Ben Edwards scored the only goal just before half time as Whitley overcame the mid-table Ancients at Hillheads Park.

League: Penrith 0-3 Whitley Bay (Edwards, Potter, Coleman)

We normally really struggle at Penrith’s World Group Stadium, so I was delighted to take a 3-0 win home. The return of Nick Potter has certainly made a difference, as he scored one and created two here in the 3-0 success.

League: Whitley Bay 0-0 Newcastle Benfield

We maintained our five point lead at the top with this even goalless draw against Newcastle Benfield. Nick Potter came the closest, but couldn’t connect with Richard Flynn’s free kick in stoppage time after Leon Ryan had been fouled.

Player of the Month: Richard Flynn had to wait to get his go at right back, but when he did, he excelled. He’s solid defensively and has a great delivery going forward.

League Table

March 2013

Northumberland Senior Cup: Team Northumbria 1-2 Whitley Bay (Phelan, Coleman) (aet)

This match was totally spoiled in the 62nd minute when Whitley’s star man Robbie Livermore was stretchered off with a torn calf muscle. His replacement Matt Phelan scored the equaliser at Coach Lane within a minute of coming on, and then Omari Coleman scored the winner in extra time

League: Whitley Bay 2-1 Billingham Synthonia (Edwards, Coleman)

This one at Hillheads got off to a bad start when Jean-Phillip Yamfam gave Billingham the lead after Josh Mimms had made a rare mistake and misjudged a cross. The game changed though, when Ibrahim Hassan was given a straight red card for a rather innocuous looking challenge on Wayne Boden. Armed with an extra man, Whitley went on the attack and got two goals through Ben Edwards and then Omari Coleman to put them ahead. The match shifted back in the Synners’ direction in the last ten minutes after Rob Gier was sent off for a second yellow card. Ten apiece, and the away side nearly got the reward for their pressure when Richard Flynn fouled Yamfam, but Nathan Jameson’s penalty struck the foot of the post and bounced into the relieved arms of Josh Mimms, who had originally dived the wrong way

League: Bishop Auckland 1-0 Whitley Bay

This one was played on a Sunday afternoon, due to Bishop Auckland’s ground share with Spennymoor Town. Whitley’s main title rivals Chester-le-Street had lost 1-0 at home to Dunston UTS the previous day, so Whitley had the advantage of knowing that whatever they gained against Bishop Auckland, they would add to their lead at the top. However, it didn’t go quite to plan as Whitley started slowly, and then were shocked in the 62nd minute when Zak Graham gave the home side the lead. Josh Mimms insisted he was fouled in the build up, but the officials were having none of it. Whitley went down to yet another defeat at Brewery Field, and another massive missed opportunity to extend the lead at the top.

League: Whitley Bay 0-0 Horden Colliery Welfare

In normal circumstances, a goalless draw at home to Horden would be very disappointing, but the news that Chester-le-Street had lost 2-1 at Ashington changed all that. This meant that Whitley had extended their lead at the top to six points, and could even afford to slip up next week at Bedlington.

League: Bedlington Terriers 0-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

A very tense game at Welfare Park, but the game was won when Josh Mimms’ long clearance was flicked on by Ben Edwards. The ball looped over the out of position keeper and into the net. Bedlington pushed but couldn’t beat Mimms in the Bay net. The result means that if Whitley beat Whickham next week and Tow Law and Chester-le-Street draw with each other at Ironworks Road, Whitley Bay will be the Champions!

Player of the Month: Richard Flynn had another good month at right back, but this one goes to the opposite full back, club captain Liam Cattermole, who was simply immense both defensively, and going forwards from left full back.

League Table

Archived