[FM10] A Perusal in Patras - The Life and Times of Panachaiki G.C.

fatski

Panachaiki G.C.

Panachaiki, known officially as Panachaiki GE is a Greek multisport club based in the city of Patras, Greece.

Patras.jpg

History - according to Wiki

The history of Panachaiki began in 1891, when Panachaikos Gymnastikos Syllogos was founded. In 1894, a rival sports club, Gymnastiki Eteria Patron, was founded in Patras by former Panachaikos' members. It was only in 1923 that both clubs came to an agreement and decided to merge, forming Panachaiki Gymnastiki Enosi.

Panachaiki is a multisport club, whose athletes have won several Olympic medals. Emblematic figures in Panachaiki's history are weightlifter Dimitrios Tofalos and Kostas Davourlis, leader of the great football team that impressed Greece in the seventies and took part in the 1974 UEFA Cup (fell against FC Twente in the second round).

History - according to FM10

Founded in 1891, Panachaiki 2005 GE are a professional Greek club currently playing in the Greek National B Division. The club play their home games at Panachaiki Stadium (capacity: 11,321) and posess adequate training facilities and an adequate youth setup. The club is affectionately known as Achaioi and retains a fierce rivalry with AO Penileiakos, PS Kalamata and APS Thyella Patras.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during the 1980s. Although now enduring a twenty-three year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1987, Achaioi still have a history of which they can be justly proud. They have won the Greek 2nd tier five times and finished runners-up on three occasions.

Introduction –

So basically, I've been wanting to do a career thread for a while, so here it is! I tried to coincide it with Gundo's Challenge but, being an idiot, I loaded 3 leagues instead of one! So now it'll just be a Career thread which will probably be easier anyway.

I am hoping to just keep going and going and going until the game looks favourably on me and lets me win, with a team of Greek youngsters who have come through my academy. Ok, well maybe that’s a touch over-ambitious, but I would like to defeat all-comers.

I, Helluva Manager, inherited a full squad and have been given a nice budget, thanks mainly due to the club being in relatively good financial health. I am pleasantly surprised by the nice amount of scouting my board is allowing me, and as you can see from the information screen, I have a few rivals in my division, and one of Greece’s best players, Kostas Katsouranis, started his career at the club. So, clearly, the ‘adequate’ facilities can churn out some talent! I do have one youth player who caught my eye: Kostas Mitropoulos has great technical defensive stats, although very little else. I haven’t really been able to gauge what is going to make a quality player at this level.

So here goes... I will post the signings that I make at the end of the transfer window. The season doesn’t start for a while, so I have plenty of time to cut the chaff and bring in some quality.

Wish me luck!

Panachaiki – January Update 2010/2011 – Greek National B Division

There’s not an awful lot to say really. However it is my job (and a lovely one, at that) to bring you some news at the half-way point. Although predicted to be 15th/17, I always wanted to be promoted this season. It became clear after a poor pre-season, that we either: a) were not good enough, or b) needed time to gel. I think it was the latter, and after a very good start to the league season, things were looking good. Signings Mettomo and Berthé were looking slow but solid at the back and wingers Romanczuk and Thanos were providing crosses for Silva to score. And occasionally the fans were able to see the brilliance of 36 year-old Brazilian verteran Beto who, with 11 caps to his name for the famous Seleçao, showed wonderful flair, passing ability and the odd long range goal, all while standing in the same 5m² radius! That being said, there are many better teams in the league. And we were only 5th when January arrived, a full 8 points off the top. And the finances were worrying me...

But, in true Fatski fashion, not only did the poor funds not stop me from buying players in January but, in even truer fashion, they were all attacking players, even though defence is clearly the issue!

After 15 games, as you all know, the press like to do a little resumé about you and how you have done. Mine said simply: Manager Brings in New Faces. For once, the media were telling the truth, for I had indeed been filling the side with new faces. 12 of them, in fact.

All of them can be seen here. However the best ones have been:

Israel Silva – Has been in Greece for the last few years, but hasn’t scored as many goals as he or his employers would’ve liked. However, this was no gamble, as he is 5 times better than my original strikers! After a worrying pre-season, he didn’t score in 8 games, he has notched 10 in 13 starts.

Rabiu Ibrahim – I once read in FourFourTwo that this Nigerian attacking midfielder is destined to be one of the best in the world. So when I saw his name on the ‘Free Transfer’ list, I had to pinch myself. I was even more excited when he decided to sign. However, he lacks the physicality needed for this division and has not played as much as I would’ve liked. Hopefully he can fulfill what I imagine/hope will be a very high PA, though with 4 coaches, it doesn’t seem likely.

And... In January, they were joined by:

Andre Moritz – Signed in January on a free, he is (rather helpfully), an EU National, and has easily enough ability to be a star. How he will fit into my 3-4-3 formation remains to be seen, but if he proves to have the ability to be a CM (a tackling attribute of 2 begs to differ) then he could be a realy creative force for us in the second half of the season.

Tomas Pekhart – I wanted him in the summer, on a free, but he was uninterested. I had another go in December, and here he is. He’s not actually that good, but I think he’ll score goals at this level.

Adailton – The ex-PSG, Genoa and Bologna man joined us on a free, and on his second game for the club, scored the two goals of the week. Surprisingly, neither were free-kicks, but you would’ve thought that with an FK Attribute of 18, he’ll be in and amongst the goals. He plays on the right of the 3 strikers, with Pekhart and Silva in the middle.

Finally, this is how the squad are looking, stats-wise. Interestingly, despite my wheeling and dealing (which was praised after the signing of Adailton), 4 out of the top 5 appearance makers are players that I inherited! Well, they have done enough to get me to 5th place, and now hopefully the new boys will get me into the top 2! :thup:

Four games to go and, due to an inspired Adailton, this is how the table looks:

GreekNationalBDivision-4.png

With our finances 600k in the red, I really need this promotion, even if I think/know we will really struggle in the top flight!

Our final four games are:

OFI (h)

Ethnikos (a)

Korinthos (h)

Doxa Dr. (a) - Doxa are second and a better team than I am. Hopefully it wont come down the last day, although OFI are also very good...

DoxaDrvPanachaiki.png

That's all I really need to say. Beautifully ironic, the fact that my two goalscorers arrived in Januarym and that is when the revival started. I'm really not sure how I managed to get promotion, as that Doxa team were WAY better than me. Except that, on the last day of the season, I had Adailton :thup: 16 goals and 8 assists in just 18 games speak for themselves really, and were surely the main reason for this unexpected promotion.

Full season report to go up later, once I stop celebrating, and start wondering how on earth I'll keep this debt-ridden team up :D

Archived