[FM10] Go Round Europe and win the lot!

Feedolover

I'm a bit stuck for a good FM game to get my teeth into at the moment, so hopefully this will whet my appetite and motivate me to stick at it :)

Database: Official 10.2

Patch: 10.2

Leagues Loaded: England (To League 2), Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands, Scotland, Russia,Turkey, Belgium, Ukraine, Croatia (all top leagues only)

Database Size: Large

Approx Player Count: 51 000

I intend to start unemployed, but with the reputation of an international footballer

For the first job I will wait until a team approaches me, but after that I will hop around in which ever makes my goal most achievable. My goal is to win the league in all he countries I've got loaded, and maybe bring some continental success to them aswell. I may dip my toes into international management if the situation arises aswell

Here's for a good game, if anyone reads, I hope you enjoy it :)

"Borrowed" Iavacone's code, :)

Season    Club          |  League      |  Country      | Position (of) |        Achievements         |
------------------------|--------------|---------------|---------------|-----------------------------|
2009/10    Wolfsburg   |First Division|   Germany     |  5th (18)     |Joined Nov 09, team in 12th  |
2010/11    Wolfsburg   |First Division|   Germany     |  [color=red][b]1st[/b][/color] (18)     |League Winners!              |
                       |              |               |               |                             |

Trophy Cabinet

Season        Team          Country       |  Competition  |
------------------------------------------|---------------|
2010/11       Wolfsburg     Germany       |First Division |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |

International Career

Season       Team      | GP    W    D    L    GF    GA    DIF    Days in Job |   ACHIEVEMENTS   |
-----------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|------------------|
                      |                                                     |                  |

Sounds like my type of career idea....Its panned out below.

Season   Country   Team        League pos   Achievements

2009/10  Scotland  Celtic F.C  1st          SPL Champions,SLC winners,Champs League 2nd round.
2010/11  Scotland  Celtic F.C  1st          SPL Champions,
2011/12  Italy     Inter F.C   1st          Serie A Champions.Super Cup winners
2012/13  Italy     Inter F.C   1st          Serie A Champions.Super Cup winners
2013/14  Italy     Inter F.C   1st          Serie A Champions.Champions League winner.Super Cup Winners
2014/15  Italy     Inter F.C   1st          Seria A Champions.Champions League Winners.World Club Winners.European Super Cup Winners, Italian Cup winners.
2015/16  Spain     Valencia    3rd          n/a
2016/17  Spain     Valencia    2nd          La Liga runners up,champions League winners.
2017/18  Spain     Valencia    1st          Euro Super Cup winners, La Liga winners, champions league winners. World Club winners.
2018/19  England   Swansea     2nd          League 2 runners up.
2019/20  England   Swansea     ??

International

Season   Country   Competition   Finish

2012/13  England   WCQ Group 5   1st
        England   Confed Cup    4th  
2013/14  England   World Cup     1st   World Cup winner
2014/15  England   ECQ Grp G     1st   currently
2015/16  England   Euro 2016     Q/F defeat. Resigns from Role to manage Spain.
2016/17  Spain    WCQ Grp 6      Resigned to concentrate on club career.

VfL-Wolfsburg@2.-old-logo.png

In November, I get itchy feet and declare an interest in the Wolfsburg job. They promptly sack Mr Veh and approach me, and I say yes

I am delighted that my first job is at a current league holder, however they are really under-performing this season

League - 10th in the Bundesliga after 12 games, with 17 points. Media prediction was 2nd

German Cup - Still in it, now in the 4th round

Champions League - 3 points from 4 games in a group containing AC Milan, Olympiakos, CSKA Moscow. I could advance with 4 points, but probably need all 6

I've been given a transfer budet of £3.6 million and a wage budget of 650K

I have some decent players, most notably Dzeko, but I would take a Champions League spot this season

November and December Update

League

Sat 21st November vs HSV (a) - Lost 2-0

A tricky first game, away against the team second in the league, but for the whole I dominated and missed several clear cut chances. Petric scored on the hour against the run of play, and Trochowski sealed it in added time

League Position: 12th

Sat 28th November vs Stuttgart (h) - won 2-1

A game I rode my luck in, but still good enough to get my first win. Grafite gave me the lead, before Pogrebnyak pegged me back, but Martins got a second half winner to end his ten hour goal drought

League Position: 9th

Sat 5th December vs Hoffenheim (a) - drew 1-1

Away against the league leaders was always going to be a tough game, and an even game ended all square. A first half Ibisevic goal was cancelled out by a late Dzeko header

League Position: 9th

Sat 12th December vs Werder Bremen (h) - won 2-1

Another difficult game to go with my tricky start, and another win to add to my promising start. Naldo gave Werder a well deserved half-time lead, but Martins and Bazargli in the second half gave me the win

League Position: 8th

Sat 19th December vs Bayern Munich (a) - won 2-1

A tricky end to the first half of the season before nearly a month of winter break, I had Benaglio to thank for keeping me in it for the first 20 mins, before Martins gave me a half-time lead with a goal on the half-hour mark. He then doubled my lead with a goal on the counter mid-way through the second half. Mario Gomes pulled one back, but it wasn't enough

League Position: 6th

Champions League

Wed 25th November vs AC Milan (a) - Lost 3-0

Scorline maybe flattered AC Milan, though they were the better team I had my chances when the game was still in the balance, but Ronaldinho scored on half-time and two goals in the last ten minutes from Seedorf and Ambrosini killed the game

League Position: 4th

I could still qualify though, provided I beat Olympiakos at home, and AC Milan win away against CSKA Moscow

Tues 8th December vs Olympiakos (h) - won 2-1

A must win game, and win I did. Tryed my hardest to balls it up, Martins gave me the lead, Cassetti equalised for them with 5 mins to go, but another Dzeko goal at the death saw me claim 3 points

Unfortunately, CSKA Moscow beat Milan 2-1, so I'm out of the Champions League and into the Europa League. I've been drawn against Villareal, and then should I win PSV or Fulham

So I entered the winter break on the back of an 8 game unbeaten run and feeling good about myself for turning it round, after the 2 first-game defeats. I still feel I can be more clinical in front of goal, but that is my only complaint. I will look to wheel and deal in January, and got a few targets in mind already

I've just hit the date of my first match after the break, on the 16th January. Have been very busy in the transfer market in these couple of weeks, my transfers shown are below

Transfers In

Milos Krasic - CSKA Moscow - £10mil

Salvador Cabanas - America - £5mil

Juan Angel Albin - Getafe - £13.25mil

Sergio Canales - Sporting - £3mil

Alexis Sanchez - Udinese - £15mil

I've sold a few, but there were mostly fringe players for decent amounts of money. My three biggest sales were Mimisovic to Shaktar for £7mil, Genter to Shaktar for £8mil and Martins to Real Madrid for £9.25mil

I haven't finished yet, but I'm back into game time so any further transfers will be added into future updates.

I'm really pleased with my changes, I'm just trying to work on strengthening my defence, though I already feel I've made my mark on the team

January/February

League

Sat 16th January vs Hannover (a) - won 4-1

Cabanas got my new look team and his Wolfsburg career off to a dream startby giving me the lead after just 5 minutes, Dzeko and another from Cabanas put me 3-0 up. They pulled one back, but another debut goal, this time from Cabanas saw me clear derby winners

League Position: 5th

Tues 19th January vs Schalke (h) - won 1-0

A game I dominated, but it took a 90th minute goal from Dzeko to get me another win

Sat 23rd January vs Bayer Leverkusen (a) - lost 2-1

We weren't at it here, Renato Augosto and Gekas gave them a much deserved 2 goal lead, a late Cabanas goal purely a consolation

Sat 30th January vs Freiburg (h) - lost 1-0

Awful, there was no cutting edge from my team, and Freiburg scored a late penalty when I was going all out for a much needed and expected win

League Position: 7th

Sat 6th February vs Mainz (h) - won 1-0

A game I absolutely dominated, but of my 23 shots only Albin managed to find the net

Sat 13th February vs Hertha Berlin (a) - drew 2-2

I had to come from behind twice, goals from my left back Schaefer and Albin. Another game I should have won but haven't, this is getting both frustrating and worrying

Sat 20th February vs Frankfurt (h) - lost 2-1

Lost in the 90th minute after thinking Krasic had salvaged a point in the 86th.

Sat 27th February vs Gladbach (a) - lost 2-0

Awful. Two late goals as I pushed for the win. Third place is becoming a distant dream now after a promising start to my managerial career here. I just can't beat the "worse" teams

German Cup Quarter Final

Tues 9th February vs Werder Bremen (h) - lost 3-2

What a keeper Tim Weise is! Pizarro, Ozil and Borowski put them 3 up, Dzeko and Canales nicked 2 back late, but the main story was my 28 shots and 9 clear cut chances. How I lost is beyond me

Europa League 1st Knockout Round

Weds 17th Feb vs Villareal (h) - won 3-0

A much improved performance and my players found their scoring touch, Sanchez and two from Cabanas in the first half allowed me to coast through the second. The only sour point was Schaefer was taken off injured, has broken his leg and is out for 4-5 months

Weds 24th Feb vs Villareal - lost 3-1

My players tryed their hardest to lose this one, I went 3-0 down and with 15 mins to play would have happily taken extra time, but Ziani came off the bench to net and put me through just about!

I've got PSV in the next round

That concludes January and February. I'm really pleased with the squad I've got now, it looks one of the strongest in the division, but they haven't clicked yet. I'm 11 points off third place with 9 games to go. After my hefty spending a Champions League spot is a neccessity. A good Europa League run would be nice as well

March

League

Sat 6th March vs Bochum (h) - drew 1-1

I huffed and puffed all game, but my strikers can't finish :) A Cabanas strike cancelled out in the 83rd minute

League Position: 8th

Sat 13th March vs Nurnberg (a) - won 1-0

It looked like being yet another one of those games, until Krasic came off the bench to net what proved to be the winner with 10 minutes to go

Sat 20th March vs Borussia Dortmund (h) - won 2-0

A very close game, which they perhaps shaded. I was helped by an early goal from Dzeko, and a late own goal from Kehl as they were mounting the pressure. A good win, two in a row now, let's hope it's the start of something

Sun 28th March vs Koln (a) - drew 2-2

Infuriating game, outplayed in the first half and lucky to go in only one behind. I equalised on the hour, a Barzagli header, and Grafite came off the bench and scored with 7 mins to go. They equalised with the last kick of the game. i really should have won

Europa League

Wed 10th March vs PSV (a) - won 2-0

A very professional performance and a comfortable win thanks to Dzeko and Cabanas. The result made even more impressive because I was without 3 of my usualo first choice defenders for one reason or another

Wed 17th March vs PSV (h) - won 3-2

A nice comfortable progression here, goals from Cabanas, Albin and an own goal in the first 20 minutes killed the tie, even though they did manage to get a couple back

I have Toulouse in the Quarter Final, and should I win, Ajax or Fiorentina in the semi. Quite happy with my path, though they are decent teams

That takes me to the end of March, whoch was a decent month and one I was unbeaten in, but those two late equalisers against me in the league games against Bochum and Koln may come back to haunt me I fear. I'm 9 points off 3rd place with 5 games to go. It's looking a bit more difficult now, but I should finish 6th or above to claim some sort of European football next season

I haven't really mentioned any players specifically, so just thought I'd give a shout out to two of my signings, Cabanas and Albin. Cabanas has been a real handful in front of goal, scoring 9 in 15, and Albin has made the left wing slot his own, with 3 goals and 7 assists. Also Benaglio my keeper has made some crucial games and played the odd blinder for me, and the centre back Barzagli has been really solid, my best defender thus far.

If I do manage to break into the top 3, i will know that I've earned it, as my last 5 games are;

HSV - H 2nd

Stuttgart - A 13th

Hoffenheim - H 1st

Werder Bremen - A 3rd

Bayern - H 5th

I don't bother too much with screenshots because they are a bit more time-consuming, but if anyone ever wants any then just say what you want, or what you think I should put in, and I'll be happy to oblige

April

League

Sun 4th April vs HSV (h) - won 3-1

A well deserved and enjoyable victory. Albin gave me the lead after 22 minutes with an offside goal, Guerro equalised on 68 minutes, I went attacking, Dzeko regained the leader with a header after 75 minutes, and another sub goal, this time from Krasic sealed the game

Sat 10th April vs Stuttgart (a) - lost 2-1

Over-run in the first half-hour and was lucky to only be 2-0 down at that stage. Albin pulled one back just before half-time with a trademark free-kick, but the sencond half onslaught never materialised. This defeat also ends my slim hopes of making that 3rd Champions League spot

Sun 18th April vs Hoffenheim (h) - won 2-1

Carlos Eduardo, a player I've been closely tracking gave Hoffenheim the lead after 22 minutes, but two penalties from Grafite in the five minutes before half-time turned things round. The score remained this way, but to be fair, I was outplayed, and can see why they're top. They hit the woodwork twice and had 20 shots to my 10

Europa League

Thurs 1st April vs Toulouse (a) - won 3-1

Two late goals made the result look more comfortable than it was. Dzeko gave me another early Europa League goal, but it was pegged back. I made a couple of changes and went more attacking for another away goal, and the decision was vindicated as Dzeko got another and Grafite got one as a sub

Wed 7th April vs Toulouse (h) - lost 2-0

I just about snuck through on the away goals rule. Two Gignac goals inside the first 10 minutes had me fearing the worst, I could have made it comfortable for myself but the team missed several chances, and at the end I was really hanging on. The game was also marred due to an injury to Dzeko, who is now out for 4 weeks and likely to miss the run-in

Thurs 22nd April vs Fiorentina (a) - lost 2-0

I went into half-time 1-0 down, Dario Dainelli after 41 minutes. Donadel gave them a well deserved second after 79. In my defence I did have a threadbare squad for this game, with a large number of injuries to go with the unavailable players. For once I am going to have to do the hard-work in the second leg. To make things even worse Rafinha and Josue both picked up yellow cards and are both going to miss the second leg. I fear my Europa run coming to an end, but never say never

Wed 28th April vs Fiorentina (h) - drew 1-1

My bad luck took a turn for the worse as Barzagli went off injured after just 2 minutes. An away goal header for Gamberini after 22 minutes effectively sealed my fate, so i went for broke. I did equalise near the end, thanks to Cabanas, but it was not enough

April was a month where I almost confirmed European football next season with my 2 wins and 1 defeat in the league. I have 2 games left now, and 3 points will be enough. They are tough games though

The Europa League was just one step too far unfortunately. For the second leg I had the following players all unavailable: Ziani, Dzeko, Schaefer (all injured, and Barzagli after 2 minutes), Mertersaker, Krasic and Salcido (ineligable), and Rafinha and Josue (suspended)

I had an awful subs bench, for the game, and the first team wasn't much better after it had had the heart ripped out of it.

Only two more games to go in the league now, and I would say I ahve just about managed to do what I wanted to, 3rd would have been nice but was just too difficult, though my inconsistency has been infuriating

May

League

Sat 1st May vs Werder Bremen (a) - drew 0-0

A nice uneventful draw here :)

Sat 8th May vs Bayern Munich (h) - won 3-0

A really enjoyable way to end the season, goals from Cabanas, Grafite and Metersacker, and it could have been plenty more. Great performance,

So that concludes the season, with me in 5th place. I will do a more comprehensive review when I'm around the June/July mark, so i can comment on the awards.

HSV won the league, with 73 points

I finished 5th, with 55 points. Considering they had played 12, and had 17 points when I took over, I think I did pretty well to get 38 points from 22 games. I made a lot of new big-money signings, who showed signs of starting to gel. They had better gel anyway, because there won't be another £100mil spree in the summer! :D

All, in all, pretty good start to this managerial game, hopefully next year I can chalk off the Bundesliga from my "to win" list :)

Season 2009/10 Review

So, my first season done, and here's how my review:

German First Division

I took over with the club 12th, and massively underperforming. I had a few talented players in there, but a lot of players who were mediocre and not fulling their weight. I knew I had to strengthen in January. But even before that, I managed to get a bit of consistency and win a few games. After the Christmas break, and with a lot of new players I found a bit of a problem with inconsistency, generally did well against the better teams and struggled against the worse. Overall I was always between 5th and 7th, a position I was farely comfortable with after where they were when I took over

German Cup

When I arrived the team were in the 4th round, and I had a tie against Werder Bremen. They took their chances, I never so I was out in the 4th round. Didn't really concern me to be honest, I had bigger priorities this season

Champions League

I had 1 point from 4 games when I took over, with two games left, away against AC Milan and home against Olympiakos. I didn't have too much chance of qualifying really unless I won them both, but the AC Milan game was my second as Wolfsburg manager, so it didn't suprise me that I lost that one. Even after the defeat, I could have still gone through had I beaten Olympiakos and the other result went my way. I beat Olympiakos, the other result didn't go my way, so I finished third and into the Europa League. Again, not too bothered, though the extra money would have been nice, I was happy to drop down to the Europa for this season

Europa League

I enetered the competition at the knockout rounds, every round I played a similar standard team, and also, interestingly I comfortably won the first game but always struggled in the secong leg. Whether that's down to the players mentalitly or my tactics, I'm keen to find out. I fancied myself to win the competition if I'm honest, but horrendous selection problems saw me deservedly dumped out in the semi-finals against Fiorentina. I would have liked to have won this, and disapointed not to, but I can understand it

Transfers

Obviously, I spent big in January and suprised myself to the extent of my spending. I also suprised a few others reading my posts, so much so that they questioned my gamesmanship ;) The transfers maybe initially unsettled the team, as I struggled a bit in January and February, but it is clear to me they are all quality players and make my team look one of the strongest in the league. The majority of them showed glimpses of their quality aswell, and I feel that signing them all was vindicated. All stats are from league games only

Milos Krasic - My first signing for £10mil. He struggled to begin with, and found himself in and out of the team, as he was inelidgeable for the Europa League, but eventually he showed his quality, and even scored a couple of crucial late goals of the bench.

15 games, 3 goals, 2 assists, 1 MOM, Average Rating 6.98

Salvador Cabanas - A cheap signing by my standards, for only £5mil!.I was struggling to find a decent striker, and Cabanas has the desired attributes for me, pace, finishing and composure. he was instantly successful and scored his fair share of goals, even if they did dry up a bit by the end of the season

16 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, 2MOM, Average Rating 7.04

Juan-Angel Albin - One of my better signings and has turned into a real FM favourite of mine. Scores goals, makes assists and has a mean free-kick on him, mostly used as a left winger but occasionaly a trequartista-striker, adn he didn't dissapoint. Cost £13.25mil

17 games, 4 goals, 4 assists, 2MOM, Average Rating 7.06

Sergio Canales - Bought for what I felt was a bargain at £2.5mil, more with one eye for the future, but he ended up getting immeadiately thrust into the first team. He did well when played as an attacking midfielder, but struggled a bit more when played in a central midfield role. Definetly got a bright future for Wolfsburg though

15 games, 1 goal, 2 assists, Average Rating 6.82

Alexis Sanchez - A bit of a threat, but expected more for £15mil. Wasn't sure where to really play him, and he found himself left-wing, right-wing and striker, all with limited success. I will have to try and find his role in the team next season, but he has time on his side

16 games, 3 assists, Average Rating 6.95

Per Mertesaker - A deadline day signing, I probably over-spent on him at £20mil but I was desperate, and he has been a rock. Barzagli and Mertesacker as a centre-back partnership is so solid, though I suffered as he was inelidgabe for Europa League games. A quality start to his career for this young centre back

13 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, Average Rating 7.31

Rafinha - Another over-the-top signing, for £21mil, but he fits my attacking full back system perfectley, and it deprives one of my league rivals of an absolute quality player. Seemed to pick up a fair old number of yellow cards though

12 games, 1 assist, Average Rating 7.15

Transfers Out

I'm not going to go through these in detail, but basically every player I got rid of was not good enough, and I got some serious money for some of them. The only one I maybe would have kept was Martins, who had scored a few, but Madrid offered £10mil up front, which was enough to sign both Mertesacker and Rafinha, so he had to go

Players

My fans player of the year was chosen as Diego Benaglio. I find that totally understandable. Benaglio proved himself as a quality keeper and made some crucial saves, on occasions winning me points on his own, though I don't give him as much credit as he perhaps deserves

34 games, 38 conceded, 10 clean sheets, 4MOM, Average Rating 7.16

Rafinha made the leagues team of the year at right back, and Edin Dzeko got in up front aswell. Dzeko was a bit frustrating, he's such a good player and did contibute a lot over the season, but I so felt he could have done much much better.

29 games, 12 goals, 3 assists, 1MOM, Average Rating 7.06

The apparant "pick of my Best Eleven" was quite suprisingly for me Ricardo Osorio. Naturally a right-back, he held the spot until Rafinha signed. After that I was prepared to drop him to the bench, but the left back Schaefer broke his leg, and Osorio put in some stirling performances at left-back, even though he is only competant in that position.

26 games, Average Rating 7.20

In the UEFA co-efficents, we moved up 52 places to 45th, which suprised me and pleased me in equal amounts

What else gobsmacked me was the Wolfsburg's boards financial backing. With the set objective "Title Challenge", I have been given a transfer warchest of £28.5mil and a wage budget of £750 000

However, how much I spend may be not too much, as I was predicting little support from the board after January, and already lined up quite a few bargain moves. I have the following transfers confirmed and due to go through

- Abou Diaby from Arsenal for £3.2mi. With Canales and Ziani in centre midfield, I felt I was lacking any physcial presence there, so hopefully Diaby will solve that particular problem

- Nicolas Burdisso for free. A good, experienced centre back who will be happy to be third choice to Barzagli and Mertersacker

- Sebastien Eguren from Villareal for £600 000. A defensive midfield option, as Josue was the only real option last season. Was on the transfer lsit and looks a snip at the price I paid for him

I really don't know what to do with the £28.5 million now, I may go for a striker and a left back, though I'm already happy with the team

August

I couldn't resist making a couple more signings, nothing major though

As well, as Diaby, Burdisso and Eguren, I bought in:

Joe Hart for £1.8mil

Andreas Guardardo for £9.25mil

Maxwell for £4.8mil

Ibrahim Afellay for £14.5mi

David Beckham on a free

Great players to just enhance the squad I've got.

My results this month were as follows

CUP-Sat 31st July vs Osterholz (a) - won 4-0

A nice easy start in the cup, one for Krasic and a hat-trick for Dzeko

LEAGUE-Sat 7th August vs Hoffenheim (a) - drew 1-1

An acceptable start to the season, an early Guardardo goal cancelled out by Demba Ba

LEAGUE-Sat 13th August vs Bochum (h) - won 2-0

A comfortable win where I was rarely threatened, early goals from Cabanas and Krasic allowed me to coast to the win

League Position: 2nd

EUROPE- Weds 18th August vs Brasov (a) - won 1-0

In the qualifying round against unknown opposition, I didn't have to get out of first gear to win this one, a Burdisso header

LEAGUE-Sat 21st August vs Werder Bremen (a) - won 1-0

One of those games, where if I want to achieve something in the league this season, it is important to get a result. It was more comfortable than I expected, even though I had only the solitary Cabanas goal to show for it

League Position: 3rd

EUROPE-Thurs 26th August vs Brasov (h) - won 6-0

An absolute cakewalk. A hatrick for Cabanas, with Dzeko, Maxwell and Rafinha all finding the net aswell

LEAGUE-Sun 29th August vs Hannover(h) - won 4-0

A great team performance, but one man in particular takes all the plaudits. Four goal hero Edin Dzeko. Two in each hlf made this an absolute stroll and my second consecutive home thrashing

League Position: 1st :)

So I have got off to a confident start in all three competitions. Already negotiated two tricky away games in the league and am happy with my start. My Europa League group has pitted me against Villareal, Besiktas and CSKA Sofia. It's a difficult group, but one I'm confident of negotiating. I have also been drawn against Stuttgart away in the second round of the cup, which is an unpleasant draw. In the league in September I have games against Schalke, Leverkusen and Hertha Berlin, so it could be a tricky month.

September

LEAGUE-Sat 11th September vs Schalke (a) won 2-1

A fine battling performance, I went behind to a wonder strike from Kuranyi, but an own goal from Rakitic and a penalty from Rafinha turned things round, then my team shown great battling qualities to hold on

EUROPE - Wed 15th September vs Besiktas (a) lost 2-0

A poor performance sees me lose my first game of the season, I never recovered from an early Nihat double. Not an ideal start to my Europa campaign, but plenty of time to turn it around

LEAGUE-Sat 18th September vs Bayer Levekusen (h) won 1-0

Another fine home performace, a game I dominated and may have won by a cricket scoreline had it not been for Adler, but it took a late header from Dzeko to actually seal it

League Position: 1st

CUP-Tues 21st September vs Stuttgart (a) won 2-1

It took extra time to win this one. Hitzlesperger gave Stuttagart the lead after just 5 minutes, but I hit back before half-time through Maxwell. They were then reduced to 10 men, in extra time Albin scored a fine solo goal to give me a deserved victory and passage through to the third round

LEAGUE-Sun 26th September vs Hertha Berlin (a)drew 1-1

Hard to criticize what was a fine away performance, Abou Diaby gave me the lead with a fine long range strike on the half-hour mark. I then proceeded to miss chance after chance, had two goals disallowed and then Lima equalised in the 88th minute, which was a total sucker-punch

EUROPE-Wed 29th September vs CSKA Sofia (h) won 3-0

A game I expected to win comfortably and I did at a canter. 2 goals in 5 five first half minutes from Dzeko and Cabanas put me in pole position, and Cabanas added another one near the end to give the scoreline more gloss

Another good month, with the exception of the Besiktas game. Me and Bayern Munich are leading the way in the league, both with 5 wins and 2 draws from 7 games. Incidentally I am away against Bayern in what looks like another tricky month, with fixtures against Stuttgart, Bayern, Nurnburg and HSV, as well as a Europa game against Villareal. Still going strong though :)

October

LEAGUE-Sat 2nd October vsStuttgart (h) won 2-1

A scrappy win to continue my run of home victories, Cabanas netted an early goal but Feindouno equalised before half-time. Mertesacker poked one if from a goal-mouth scramble to win it for me

LEAGUE - Sat 16th September vs Nurnberg (h) won 4-0

An easy victory in a match I dominated ;) Albin got me off to a dream start after 20 seconds, Rafinha added a penalty, Cabanas made it 3 in first half stoppage time and Maxwell scored my 4th in the second half

EUROPE-Wed 20th October vs Villareal (a) won 1-0

I snuck an undeserved win here. Cabanas netted the winner just before half-time, but the reason I won was down to Benaglio, who put on a "goalkeeping clinic"

LEAGUE-Sat 23rd October vs Bayern Munich (a) lost 3-1

The most important game of my season so far, and it is now advantage Bayern in the title race. A well deserved win for them, Van Buyten and Schweinsteiger put them 2 up inside 20 minutes, Cabanas pulled one back after 35, but Gomez struck on the hour. They were well worth the win, to be fair

CUP-Tues 26th October vs Dortmund (h)won 4-2

Another cup game which went the distance, I had to come from behind twice in the first half, which I did, goals from Cabanas and Dzeko. It then when to extra-time and one goal in each half, from Krasic and Guadardo sealed the deal. I'm now into the fourth round, knocking out two decent teams in the process

LEAGUE-Fri 29th October vs HSV (h) drew 1-1

I had to make a few changes as a result of the cup game, but this game is a crucial one, to bunce back from the Bayern defeat. Albin gave me the lead against the run of play, but a late Petric penalty was the least they deserved

Another reasonable month, a couple of hiccups in those last two league games hasn't helped though, I could do with Bayern Munich dropping a few more points, they were very average last season and haven't really changed the team. I'm still in contention though, still in the cup, and looking good for Europa qualification, so reasonably happy, I will look to win all my league games next month though

November

EUROPE-Thurs 4th November vs Villareal (h) drew 1-1

Cabanas, who always seems to score in European games, and always seems to score in the 10 minutes before half-time, did so again. Van Der Vaart equalised in the second half though. Unfortunately Cabanas then went off injured, as is going to be out of action for 6 or 7 weeks

LEAGUE - Sun 7th November vs Frankfurt (a) won 2-1

You could argue they deserved at least a point from this, but I took two of my 15 chances, they only took 1 out of their 20!. Krasic and Grafite got first half goals for me, they hit back near the end to leave a nervous finish. The win moves me to within one point of Bayern Munich, after they could only draw 0-0 with HSV

LEAGUE-Sun 21st November vs Dortmund (h) drew 1-1

Annoying, as I should have won, and instead Bayern Munich stretch their lead to three points. An early goal from Kringe gave them the lead, I then procede to miss a whole host of chances, before a late equaliser from Dzeko, who hadn't scored in a while at least rescues something

LEAGUE-Sun 28th November vs Koln (a) won 3-1

A weird game, the first hour was dull as dishwater before exploding into life, a Grafite double put me 2-0 up. Incidentally, Grafite hadn't started a game and had only featured 3 times up until Cabanas' injury, but he's really taking his chance. Albin then fired home a free-kcik to put me 3-0 up with 15 mins to go. They got an instant reply, then proceded to absolutely throw the kitchen sink at me, I held on, then they had a bloke sent off at the end.

League Position: 2nd (Bayern Munich drew again, so that lead is back down to one point)

Not really much to write about regarding the football side this month, but some interesting off-field developments. I was made the odd-on favourite for the vacant Manchester City job, I declined to comment. I think I need to achieve something here first. So they went and appointed the Werder Bremen manager, so then Werder Bremen came knocking with a 4 year contract. There was no way I was going though, interesting as it was, I don't think I could join another German club unless it was Bayern Munich

December

EUROPE-Wed 1st December vs Besiktas (h) lost 1-0

A poor performance and a poor result to allow Besiktas to record a double over me, Nihat on 75 minutes

LEAGUE - Sat 4th December vs Duisburg (h) won 4-1

A comfortable thrashing but it didn't look that way through most of the match, as ten man Duisberg took a half-time lead. Two headers from the wingers Albin and Krasic quickly turned things round, and a couple of late goals from Dzeko put a nice tinge of the scoreline

LEAGUE-Sat 11th December vs Gladbach (a) won 1-0

There was 3 minutes added time, and I required 2 minutes 57 seconds of them ;). A late late Dzeko winner in a match I dominated, 19 shots to there 4, 6 clear cut chances to there 0.

Now, with me concentrating on the league, I never realised the Europa League was slipping away. With one game to go the groups looking like this:

1st. Villareal 10 points

2nd. Beskitas 10

3rd. Me 7

4th Sofia 1

This means that the only way I can qualify is if I win (likely) and Beskitas beat Villareal (not so likely!). This would put me through ahead of Villareal on the head-to head record. I think that's what would happen, though not sure. I never realised it, but I've made a right mess of this European campaign :D

EUROPE-Wed 15th December vs CSKA Sofia (a) won 4-0

Well, this match was won by half-time. Three goals in the 10 minutes before half-time from Sanchez, Krasic and Dzeko wrapped the game up, Dzeko netted another in the second half.

Just had to wait to see the result of the Besiktas Villareal game on the Thursday. Somewhat predictably, and controversially, they played out a goalless draw. So that's me dumped flat on my arse out of European football for the season. Not what I expected or wanted

LEAGUE-Sat 18th December vs Karlsruhe (h) won 2-0

I had this one sewn up after 4 minutes, as Albin has already scored two by that time! After that it was all comfortable keep-ball, with plenty more missed chances, Dzeko the worst culprit this time

With the league games I had this month, I targetted maximum points, and I got them, so feeling pleased about that. Bayern also got maximum points this month as well, so I'm still one point behind. The Europe situation was an absolute disaster and one I hold my hands up for, but I'm sure all will be forgot if I can bring the league title home

One little problem that developed just before the karlsruhe game, was that Rafinha has declared an ambition to leave the club, so he can go somewhere to win trophies.Now, seeing as I am second, breathing down Bayern's neck, I find this somewhat bemusing. He was promptly dropped for the Karlsruhe game, and we'll wait and see what happens in January.

I have a winter break now, with no competitive games between 18th December and middle of January. I have got a few friendlys pencilled in, but I won't be recording those results.

I have £8.5mil to spend, I may look for a striker, I may not bother. If I sell Rafinha I'm sure I will get good money for him, but this would mean having to find a new right back

As my monthly installments payments kick in, every month I have been recording losses of approximately £5mil. This is rather hefty, making the need for silverware quite important

A note about my future: If I don't win the league this season, I will definetly still be here next season as that is my minimum aim with the club. If I do win the league this season, I will probably stay, unless I see an attractive overseas offer elsewhere. But I will not be moving anywhere until I bring in some silverware, or get sacked, which ever comes first ;)

P.S. I am aware this is the third monthly update posted today. It will not always be this regular. The next one will probably be a few days away now

January

I've bought in only the one player, with nobody leaving so far. In came powerhouse 21 year-old striker Tomas Necid, for £7.5mil from CSKA Moscow. He's primarily going to be used as an impact player, off the bench. As a striker he gives me something I didn't have

LEAGUE-Fri 14th January vs Hoffenheim (h) won 1-0

A scrappy, fighting win. Dzeko scored the winner on 50 minutes, after coming off the bench at half-time

League Position: 1st (went back to 2nd after Bayern Munich won on the Saturday)

LEAGUE - Tues 18th January vs Bochum (a) won 4-1

League Position: An easy away-day victory, I was three nil up in no time thanks to Albin and 2 from Cabanas, they pulled one back before Cabanas scored a penalty to take the match ball home

LEAGUE-Sat 22nd January vs Werder Bremen (h) won 2-0

Another victory, and another comfortable one at that, Diaby and Dzeko with first half goals

League Position: 1st (back to 2nd after Bayern won on the Sunday)

LEAGUE-Sat 29th January vs Hannover (a) won 2-0

A goal in each half, from Dzeko the Cabanas helped me complete a clean sweep for January. Victory was marred by a late red card to Sebastien Eguren

A great month was made just that little bit greater. Bayern Munich suffered there first defeat of the season away against Werder Bremen, so now I take the position of top spot rightfully, and off level games.

Transfer movement was limited to the signing of Necid, who has looked a handful in his substitute appearances, but also wasteful.

Dzeko and Cabanas were the men this month, 3 goals for Dzeko, 4 for Cabanas. I was so pleased this month that I went for the last 3 games I was unchanged. I've won 8 in a row in the league, and it's showing little sign of holding up

February

On paper, a much harder set of fixtures than those in January

LEAGUE-Sat 5th February vs Schalke (h) drew 1-1

Can't really complain with a draw against the third-placed team, they went ahead through a Jones penalty, Dzeko equalised in the second half. I probably had the better of the game, but I draw was a fair result

CUP-Tues 8th February vs Schalke (a) drew 0-0, lost 3-2 on penalties

I wasn't helped by the first half injury of Cabanas, nor the second half sending off of Eguren. Dour match of little chances. The penalty shoot-out was interesting, as Benaglio saved two of theirs, Neuer saved Guardardo and Rafinha's penalties, before Afellay hit the crucial one wide. So I'm out at the quarter final stages, now I can focus on the league

LEAGUE - Sat 12th February vs Leverkusen(a) won 3-1

A really great win, which looked unlikely after Lars Bender gave them a 5th minute lead. But two goals from the recalled Alexis Sanchez, and one for the recalled Burdisso helped me turn things round for a comfortable win

League Position: 1st (lead by 4 points)

LEAGUE-Sat 19th February vs Hertha Berlin (h) won 4-1

I was heading for 2 dropped points here, Albin got me off to a dream start with a goal after 2 mins, but they quickly equalised. The score remained at 1-1 until the 80th minute, when Rafinha converted a penalty. Necid then scored his first Wolfsburg goals, coming off the bench to net 2 in injury time. Very pleasing

League Position: 1st (4 points ahead)

LEAGUE-Sat 26th February vs Stuttgart (a) lost 3-2

Feidouno gave them an early lead, but Albin got an almost instant reply. In the second half, Feidouno scored what wasn't a penalty, but Albin got his second, late on with what looked to get me a point. But I stuck with the 2-3-5 for the last few minutes, with the hope of nicking a winner, and it backfired spectaclarly as Gelbert netted a winner for them

League Position: 1st (3 point lead)

I entered the month one point ahead of Bayern Munich, and exit it 3 points ahead, so I can't really complain. The Stuttgart one was a bit of a sickner, to lose only my second league game of the season, but if you take risks they're not always going to come off. Not too fussed about the cup, I felt every round I was given a nasty draw and they all (apart from the first round), required extra-time, so i did well to even get that far.

A lot of players contributed this month, so i couldn't pick out any individuals :)

Just had my desperation to win the league this year strenghtened

Apparantley, there is a strong possibility that Pellegrini will leave Real Madrid in the summer, and I am favourite

I couldn't say no to that, but I must win the league here first

March

Only the three fixtures this month, but one crunch game

LEAGUE-Sat 5th March vs Nurnburg (a) lost 2-0

One of those days when you think the game is against you. Hit the woodwork 3 times, and had 2 disallowed goals yet they come away with what looks a comfortable win

League Position: 2nd (Goal Difference)

LEAGUE - Sat 12th March vs Bayern Munich(h) won 4-3

A remarkable win, gives me the upper hand in the title race and averts a potential mini-crisis. It looked plain sailing, when two from Dzeko and one from the returning Cabanas gave me a 3-0 lead. It was never going to be that simple and the nerves really kicked in once Schweinsteiger and Breno pulled it back to 3-2. The victory was finally confirmed near the end though, when Dzeko completed his hat-trick. There was time for Toni to grab another though

League Position: 1st (lead by 3 points)

LEAGUE-Sat 19th March vs HSV (a) lost 2-1

Another bitter pill with a last minute winner. Cabanas gave me the lead, but two from the German genius, (who isn't actually that good but becomes Maradona every time he plays me) Piotr Trochowski

We're well into the business end of the season now, with only 6 games left. Both myself and Bayern Munich have very winnable games left, I'm targetting 18 points. I have a goal difference of 13 less than Bayern Munich, so i'm making a decision to switch from "control" to "attacking", and try and real those goals in, because it could be that close

The month was a weird one, at the beggining I would have said, one easy game, one tough but winnable, and another diffcult crunch game. I won the hardest one only, I suppose it must be home advantage

I'm pleased to have the return of Cabanas, who has shown what I missed with 2 goals in 2 starts, but too many players are starting to go missing now, especially in the defence

April

April, the most important month of my career so far, and we could well see the title destination decided this month

LEAGUE-Sun 3rd April vs Frankfurt (h) won 3-2

As promised, I went for the jugular, didn't quite work out as planned but I got the 3 points, my goals from Cabanas and 2 for Dzeko, their 2 were scored by Amantidis, who always seems to score against me

LEAGUE - Sat 9th April vs Dortmund (a) drew 1-1

Only a draw, but Bayern Munich lost, so in the end I settled for a point and didn't risk it. Krasic scored my equaliser

League Position: 1st (lead by 1 point)

LEAGUE-Tues 12th April vs Koln (h) won 2-0

Yet again, it's hardly free flowing football but it's another three points, Cabanas and Krasic with late-ish second half goals

League Position: 1st (1 point)

LEAGUE-Sun 17th April vs Duisburg (a) won 4-0

Boosted by the news of a Bayern Munich draw the day before, I went into this game against the bottom club, without a win all season, in confident mood. And it was plain sailing from the moment Albin's 7th minute free-kick found the top corner. The other three goals were courtesy of Krasic, Dzeko and Cabanas

League Position: 1st (3 pts)

LEAGUE-Sat 30th April vs Gladbach (h) drew 3-3

My team showed how much they wanted to throw the title away, as I had to come from behind 3 times. Albin, and two from Dzeko.

League Position: 1st (1pt)

I now go into May. With one game left, if I win away against Karlsrhue, in 14th, I win the league. If I don't win, Bayern Munich most likely win the league. I have a favourable fixture, but I'll be taking nothing for granted.

I'll do this game tomorrow, let the tension build up ;)

May

Well, one fixture, and did I manage it to win the fixture and win the league? Too right I did!

LEAGUE-Sat 7th May vs Karlsrhue (a) won 3-2

I new the league title was mine from the moment Cabanas gave me the lead after just 40 seconds. He then got another to make it 2-0, they pulled one back, then Dzeko scored his 30th of the season to make it 3-1 at half time. A very late consolation from them not enough, and even if I had drawn, it would have been enough as Bayern only managed a draw

League Position: 1st (3pts)

So, we'll see more scenes like this:

wolfsburg_christiangentner_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

Here was the final league table: League Table

There is also a board takeover in the offing, and my finances have taken a turn for the worse

I'll be doing my season review shortly, will it be my last one at Wolfsburg, who knows?

Season 2010/11 Review

German First Division

It was a two horse race from start to finish, myself and Bayern Munich. Through most of the season Bayern seemed the favourites, but it was around March time when I really put my foot on the gas and took control of the race. If I stay, I can see retaining the title being a difficult challenge

German Cup

I was unlucky, in that after an easy first round victory, I got three very decent first division clubs. All three went to extra time, so I suppose it was inevitable that I would lose one of them, in the end on penalties. I've always struggled a bit with the maximum of 3 non-EU players rule

Europa League

The one great regret of the season. I didn't notice I'd cocked it up until it was too late. Oh well, Champions league next season

Transfers

Transfers - Burdisso, Diaby, and Maxwell made "The 7 Club" below. Beckham was a freebie, bought on sentimental value, and contributed little when played, not even a goal. Eguren played 33 times, and was generally a key player in my team, performing acceptable at 6.93. Afellay was a bit expensive, for only 3 starts and 17 sub appearances, and contributed nothing. Guadardo started the season well, but then opportunities became restricted down to Maxwell and Albin holding the left-sided spots all season. Joe Hart warmed the bench if he was lucky, but performed well in his 4 appearances. Necid never even managed a start, though lots of sub appearances. All the other players are with eyes-on-the-future

The outs are all pretty self-explanatory, all surplus to requirements

Players

The "7" Club, qualification 15 starts, and an average rating of 7+

Edin Dzeko - Everything I wanted from him, and more. 30 goals, 14 assists, and 11 MOM in just 43 games

Salvador Cabanas - The perfect strike partner for Dzeko, 24 goals in 33 games, he was always missed when absent through injuries, Knocking on a bit now though

Juan Angel Albin - Sensational player, he made the left wing berth his own. Some real key contibutions through the season, 13 goals and 15 assists is a really great outcome

Abou Diaby - Bought rather cheaply, to stamp some authority in that centre mid position, and he proved his worth. Also more creative than I could have hoped for, 2 goals and 14 assists

Diego Benaglio - Another great season for Benaglio, attributes wise not in the same league as the best keepers, but performance wise I couldn't have asked for much more. Kept Joe Hart kicking his heels on the bench

Rafinha - Made the right back slot his own. Was a good attacking outlet on the right, as expected. His 4 goals were all penalties

Milos Krasic - Great start to the season, great finish as well, not much in the middle though. 9 goals and 9 assists more than good enough for a right winger

Per Mertesacker - Rock at the back, if he was fit, he played, not much too say really

Alexis Sanchez - Played half his games on the right wing, the other half up-front. Improved from last season's showing, 3 goals and 8 assists and nice return. Unlucky not to play more often

Maxwell - Another good, cheapish signing, offered the same on the left as Rafinha offered on the right, chipped in with 3 goals and 5 assits

Nicolas Burdisso - A free signing, signed as back-up but played more than I may have expected, due to injuries and loss of form to Barzagli, and rarely put a foot wrong. A couple of helpful goals aswell

Player Awards

Top Scorer - Dzeko 30

Top League Scorer - Dzeko 22

Most Assists - Albin 15

Highest Average Rating - Dzeko 7.67

Most man of Match - Dzeko 11

Fans Player of the year -

German League Awards

Player of the Year - Eljero Elia

Keeper of the Year - Federico Vilar

Defender of the Year - Naldo

Midfielder of the Year - Abou Diaby

Striker of the Year - Salvador Cabanas

I collected both The Manager of The Year and The Players Manager of The Year.

Albin, Diaby and Cabanas made the league team of the year, but where was Dzeko???

Finances

Took a turn for the worse, as the transfer payments started to take their affect on the coffers, I will have to cut my cloth more accordingly from now on in, as I already was prepared to do. We've been taken over, but no plans for future investment

June 15th 2011

My new chairman seems like an unreasonable chap. He just accpted an offer of £4mil for Burdisso over my head. Not that I'm overly worried about selling the £2.9mil rated defender, but I'm not prepared to work somewhere I don't have full control

I quit

:)

Well, that didn't take long. After announcing my resignation, I decided to frighten a few managers by declaring interest in the possibility of managing Chelsea, Liverpool, AC Milan, FC Porto and Galatasaary. Let's just say I'm on my way to where I've never managed before. TURKEY

Apologies for not updating in a while, haven't had much time to play FM recentley. I've also made a decision, new club, new strategy and will now be doing less regular updates, probably going for 3 a season, and any extra if required. Also, apologies in advance for any times I spell my club teams name wrong

galatasaray1hp8qg5.png

Right, so i'm at Galatasaary, replacing Frank Rijkaard, and been given a minimum expectation of winning the league, so no pressure. To be fair to the board, they gave me pretty generous backing, a transfer budget of £17mil, and a wage budget of £575 000, £69 000 more than is currently being spent.

I initially out of my depth, as I stumbled across a crucial rule I never knew existed. In Turkey, teams are only allowed a limit of 8 foreign players. For this reason the quality of these 8 are crucial, and I also want to try and bring in some quality Turks. I already have a fair few decent players, but my only stand-out player is Arda Turan, who will play left wing. I will play the same formation as I did at Wolfsburg, a 4-4-2, but the midfield four consists of a DMC, MC, AML and AMR.

Transfers

I was rather busy in the transfer market. Obviously I had the whole foreigner issue to sort out, so of the foreigners, out went goalkeeper Leo Franco to Seville for 875K, Baris Ozbek to Koln for £2.5mil, Kader Keita to Genoa for £6.25mil, and Bruno to Birmingham for £3.3mil

To make up my complement of 8 foreigners, I bought in Gary Cahill from Manchester United for £3.7mil, Michael Owen from United on a free, Macheda, again from Man Utd, for £15mil. Sergio Busquets joined from Barcelona for only £2.7mil, and Nelson Rivas joined from Betis for £1.5mil. I also bought in young Belgian goalkeeper Thomas Kaminski from Wolfsburg, a player I signed while I was there who looks to have a bright future.

So my list of 8 foreigners stands at: Gary Cahill, Michael Owen, Federico Macheda, Sergio Busquets, Nelson Rivas, Thomas Kaminski, Milan Baros and Elano.

I also bought in a couple of Turks aswell, from the English leagues Jem Karacan from Reading for £2.1mil and Tuncay from Stoke for £6.25mil.

Also bought in a 16 year old attacking midfielder for £2mil who looks to be half-decent already and have quality potential. Emir Boyter's the name, don't forget it ;) There is another great prospect at the club already, Omer Pala, another midfielder.

Another Job!

I've taken my first steps into International Management. There was vacant jobs at Uraguay and the USA. Uruaguay are ranked 10th in the world, USA 13th. I applied for both, and they both offered me the opportunity. But which did I accept???

Interestingly enough, my first international game is a friendly on the 10th August, Uraguay vs USA, but who will I be managing?

I'll leave it at a cliffhanger for a short while ;)

Wolfsburg Watch

Let's just say it looks like I've got out at the right time. Here's a screenie of this seasons transfers. As well as selling Burdisso over my head, they've let Rafinha, Diaby, Guardardo, Canales and Sanchez all go, replacing them with little. There is a fair few unhappy players at the club aswell. I'm not sure whether I want to see Wolfsburg to do well or not now I'm gone, I suppose I would like to play them in the Champions League, that would be interesting

Matches

Time of righting I've only played two games, the Euro cup 3rd qualifying round against unkowns HJK. I laboured to a home draw 1-1, Tuncau with a debut goal, but won the away leg 4-2, Tuncay with a hat-trick and one for Arda. So Tuncay's return to Turkey has got off to an absolute dream start. The league starts soon, and that will be the priority

Next report due in a couple of few months time, round Christmas-ish. Actually, to hell with it, the next report will come when I can be bothered to do one :D

Archived