I think I'm going to call it a day

I have never struggled so much on an FM as i am on this one, i always start un-employed, i used to start as man utd or chelsea do a good few seasons, get to grips with things etc then go and do my journey man game, now i just jump right in, i started well, hit a slump but then BANG, got my extremely average Peterbrough team to 3rd in the championship and up through the lay-offs, all good? NO! i think average was an understatement! so i had to try and buy as many better players as i could, no-one wants to play for me as they can see the inevitable relagation coming!

i have a 4 star forward (my best player) other than that the talent is few and far between!

i used to play with a back 4, 1 DM, 2 CM, 2 inside forwards and i striker....we scored in everygame in our promotion season....now i'm promoted every team in the premier league plays 4-4-2 bar arsenal...

my main issue is we concede a goal from a corner every f*ck*ng game, and always concede the same goal everygame, midfielder plays ball into box, defender stays still, keeper stays still, forward says thank you very much and scores, the oppostion always look like they want it more and it's doing my t*ts in....

should i give up and start a new save (i've never bailed a game before through frustration) should i take the relegation, hope to keep my players, get promoted again hopefully in a better state? or do any of you have any miracle tips for me? :(

make yourself hard to beat, there's a tip for you.

Can that seriously be considered a tip? :confused:

Anyways, OP, don't give up, you can't expect to crack the Premier League with a bunch of players that you admit aren't good enough, it takes time and effort. Take the relegation, but more importantly, take the parachute payments (which I assume are included in the game) and television money, build a team capable of winning the Championship and come back next season with a team ready for the Prem. If you expect instant success, and yes survival is success for Peterbrough, then you're going to be sorely disappointed, regardless of how easy or difficult the game is.

Can that seriously be considered a tip? :confused:

Anyways, OP, don't give up, you can't expect to crack the Premier League with a bunch of players that you admit aren't good enough, it takes time and effort. Take the relegation, but more importantly, take the parachute payments (which I assume are included in the game) and television money, build a team capable of winning the Championship and come back next season with a team ready for the Prem. If you expect instant success, and yes survival is success for Peterbrough, then you're going to be sorely disappointed, regardless of how easy or difficult the game is.

Yes it can. Im not going to be condascending to someone who says he has played the game for years, and chances are has seen and understands real football, by explaining what teams do to make themselves hard to beat.

Yes it can. Im not going to be condescending to someone who says he has played the game for years, and chances are has seen and understands real football, by explaining what teams do to make themselves hard to beat.

Fair enough, though by definition "make yourself hard to beat" is so painfully obvious that it's automatically condescending. No offence, just pointing that out :)

Fair enough, though by definition "make yourself hard to beat" is so painfully obvious that it's automatically condescending. No offence, just pointing that out :)

Yeah I suppose, but i meant it in a 'pep talk - don't give up just yet' kind of way.

Blimey, thats a good name for a team talk :D

should i give up and start a new save (i've never bailed a game before through frustration) should i take the relegation, hope to keep my players, get promoted again hopefully in a better state? or do any of you have any miracle tips for me? :(

Check out my thread in the FM Career Updates. I've been at Guarany de Sobrel for 8 of the most frustrating seasons I've ever played on FM. Still battling. When I breakthrough, it'll be that much more enjoyable!

I'm American though, we are a persistant lot. ;)

Keep fighting, atleast now you know how Alex McCleish feels... Oh wait. :o

Maybe try zonal marking instead of man? Am i right in saying man for man you will more than likely lose because their players are better but if your zonal your more likely to be able to deal with the better quality of the opposition players? Strength in numbers!

Don't give up, Karl.

Just imagine Peterboro made it into the EPL irl. Chances are they would struggle a lot to attract the quality they need to not be destroyed.

Have a brave fight, accept relegation if you fail and then try to come back stronger. You'll find that this one year will have sufficed to take the club to a better level. You should stand a good chance to come back up right away and then have a better team next time to are in the EPL :)

Conceding from corners nearly every game is either a huge exagguration or something you really need to address before contemplating your future.

I hate to bring up the word tactics, but you need to put some time into set pieces and how you want to defend & attack them. Certain players in your team will be better at marking danger men than others, equally so it may be worth pulling back a few more players even if they aren't tall or particularly good at marking. Their presence and jossling for position should be enough to put off the opposition.

At the moment, your set-piece defending sounds like it's being taken advantage of - so look at how your defenders are marking and who their target will be.

I tend to instruct my two best central defenders to mark the tallest players, and if I have a tall CM I will also do the same. This occasionally means I 'double-up' on one player but I'd rather be safe then sorry?

For smaller players, instruct them to be on the post or 'mark smallest'. I only leave one striker and a winger upfront - but you'll know what's best for your team having seen them concede. Equally so, why not take advantage and set up your offencive instructions at the same time. Challenge GK & attacking the near post will get you goals.

Good luck and hang in there! :)

A problem I faced with corners when first playing FM10 was that I didn't mess around with the set piece settings. It was only after conceded about 4 in one game to Man U that I realised what was wrong. If you leave it default, the majority of the time, there will only be 4 men in the box defending, 1 outside and 5 upfront (it was for me anyway). The way to tackle this is to make sure you have atleast 6 outfield players in the box defending, 4 (maybe more depending on your tactics) man marking and 2 set to "go back". After I did this I noticed I only concede a corner every few games against teams like Blackburn and Stoke (Rory Delap's throw ins are a p**s take by the way!).

my previous corner changes whre when attacking, i always set my tallest CB to challenge keeper, i've had a CB hit double figures that way, the defualt positioning of my players i noticed early on, leaving 4 players up front etc....

i leave my best fprward up front and brought everybody back to try and stop conceding, this just means the opposition can put more men in my box :( i think i will be fighting bravely and coming back in 2 seasons :( my defenders are set to cover and i always zonal mark as i cant guarantee all my players are upto the job of man marking, i just want my players to stay goal side when i dont have the ball, but they do brainless things, watching the 3D match engine is driving me mad, i have never bothered on previous games as things have just gone well pretty much straight away....just before the season started it seemed like all my players lost 1/2 a star (according to my asst man) which was a concern, the oppostion always seems alot more direct and quicker,

my tactics to get promoted where generally 'counter' and if i conceded first swith to 'overlaod' and that worked, i think i've tried everything especially after getting spanked 6 by man utd who scored every shot they had :mad:

Archived