[FM10] Behind the Iron Curtain: A European Odyssey

ArranoBeltza

This is my first time in the Careers thread, and for my career I decided to load lesser Euro leagues and journey across the Iron Curtain to play in former Communist countries. I'm playing on an unedited 10.2 patch and a small database.

Leagues loaded (all playable, all highest leagues only): Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine

The goal: Manage behind the iron curtain and just have some fun, regardless of silverware.

The Manager: A fictional character named Pavel Medvedik. He was born on January 27, 1977 and hails from Slovakia. His background in football is as a semi-pro player.

Starting point: From Feb. 5, 2009-May 7, 2009; I was spending my semester studying abroad in Bratislava, Slovakia. While there, I was able to attend a match between Artmedia Petržalka (now MFK Petržalka) and Tatran Prešov. Because they are basically my "home-town team", I'll begin as Petržalka.

MFK_Petralka.png

The situation: Petržalka are not a bad team by the standards of the Slovak league, and are predicted to finish 6th this season. They last won the league in 2008, and play their games at the 11,800 all-seater Pasiensky stadium.

The squad is rather old, so I'll look to alleviate that. The squad seems good enough to perform in this league, but I still would like to bring in some youth and, if I can, one more really good player.

I will start playing this save tomorrow, though, as my girlfriend has returned and I promised her I'd do some things with her. Looking forward to it, though!

I will start playing this save tomorrow, though, as my girlfriend has returned and I promised her I'd do some things with her. Looking forward to it, though!

Pfft, letting your girlfriend get in the way of the beautiful game...truly shocking!

Good Luck anyhoo's :thup:

Sounds a great idea for a save. Shame you just have the highest leagues only as there are some real minnows in Eastern Europe.

The save concept reminds me of a book I read a few years ago - Behind the Curtain - Travels in Eastern European Football

That's what I (and Crouchaldinho I believe) are reading at the moment. About halfway through it

Sounds a great idea for a save. Shame you just have the highest leagues only as there are some real minnows in Eastern Europe.

Honestly, I wanted to load lower leagues and probably would have downloaded more leagues, but I'm on a three (going on four) year-old laptop that can't handle too many leagues.

Season 1 Pre-Season Report

Tomorrow (in-game) the Corgon Liga season is set to start. Kind of funny that the first team I'll be playing is Tatran, as they are the team I saw play against Artmedia IRL when I was over there. My U-19s just beat the Tatran U-19s as well.

I wasn't too active in the transfer window so far (I might bring in a couple more players, hopefully youngsters) but I was able to offload some players to free up some of my wage budget and make some money.

Transfers In: I only have one player in so far, 32 year-old central defender Peter Lerant. I wanted to focus on younger players, but this guy can help out tutoring youngsters I find, and offers an easy and cheap way to strengthen my squad.

Lerant Info

Lerant Report

As I said, I'm looking into signing younger players right now.

Transfers Out: I decided to play a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, so I first looked to offload players in positions I don't need (esp. wing backs and wingers). I also let a few crappy players go, so I made some good cash (especially off of Burza, my transfer budget was about $90k to begin with so I needed that money) and freed up some wage budget (I was only around $300 under my budget).

ironcurtainout1.jpg

Pre-Season Games: Not much to say about pre-season games. I played against a lot of crap teams, so I'm not too surprised by the performances. I would have liked to have won by more in some of these, though.

ironcurtainfriendlies1.jpg

So, once again, the season is about to begin and I am excited, I'll be back soon around my next stopping point with the latest news.

Archived