[FM10] Ligurian Holiday

Jason the Yank

Hi, I'm Jason the Yank. You may remember me from such threads as "Have Football, Will Travel." :D

Following the unfortunate demise of that save, I had a few aborted attempts at even larger saves. This one though feels right for its speed and my continuing interest.

Version: Official SI 10.2 patch

Nationality: American

Nations: All leagues from Europe and North America, plus Australia and South Africa. (This is something like 90-ish leagues from 35-ish countries. It took about a half-hour for the game to set up, but it's been clicking along decently in actual play. At least for now, we'll see how it is 5 years in :D)

I decided to start the game in mid-2009, and applied for all available openings in the lowest playable division of the available leagues. On July 14, I was given a 2-year contract to manage Polish First Division side Dolcan Zabki.

League Summary

Season		Club			League			GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	PTS	Finish	
2009-10		Dolcan Zabki		First Division (POL)	34	11	10	13	43	48	43	10th
2010-11		Dolcan Zabki		First Division (POL)	7	0	2	5	5	14	2	(17th; resigned 28 Aug. 2010)
2010-11		African Warriors	First Division (RSA)	8	0	2	6	7	17	2	(8th; resigned 15 Jan. 2011)

Cup Summary

Season		Club			Competition		Achievement	
2009-10		Dolcan Zabki		Polish FA Cup		Second-round loss to eventual runners-up
2010-11		Dolcan Zabki		Polish FA Cup		(Did not manage the club)
2010-11		African Warriors	South Africa FA Cup	(Did not manage the club)

1225184227434.jpg

Dolcan Zabki

592.jpg

Stadium: Slowackiego. 2400 capacity, 300 seated. Condition is "very poor."

Training facilities: Fairly basic

Youth facilities: Minimal

Finances: Slightly in the red

Staff: A player/assistant and a goalkeeping coach

Media prediction: 12th

So I arrived for my first day as a football manager, not being able to speak a lick of Polish. The club is definitely small potatoes, but there is some quality in the squad, albeit with the bulk of the players on the wrong side of 30 (in fact, we're the oldest team in the division). The club have played all but one of their pre-season friendlies, and I decide to play a simple 4-4-2.

We get off to a good start, quickly climbing the table and putting ourselves just off the top 2 (the promotion spots). Midfielder Grzegorz Lech grabbed himself Player of the Month and Goal of the Month for August.

But in the course of patting myself on the back, the form stutters and we quickly fall away from the top, thanks to a 9-match winless run. In the meantime, the club (which is professional) is bleeding cash, not helped by our low attendances. We get a boost at the gate when big clubs like Gornik Zabrze (recently relegated) come for a visit, with their away support dwarfing our home support. Those clubs sometimes bring 600 away supporters, while our home support resembles a Conference Regional club.

Anyway, I cobble together a staff on 1-year deals, and we regain footing in midtable. We stay there for the rest of the season, occasionally dipping as low as 14th, but never really in danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle.

The winter break is hard on us, and we brought in DR Dariusz Slomian (Belchatow) and ML Slawomir Wilczewski (Jagiellonia) on loan as cover for long-term injuries. Slomian suffered a hip injury before the end of the winter break, so his loan was terminated and replaced with Mateusz Lisiecki of Legia Warsaw.

We go through another 9-match winless run (but at least forward Maciej Tataj wins Goal of the Month for March), but right the ship with wins in our final 3 matches, securing safety with 2 matches to spare in a 1-0 win at Stal St. Wola, which relegates them.

The board ends up injecting a total of 1.26M zl. in five installments during the course of the season to deal with running costs.

We have a brief stay in the cup, winning our first round match but losing in the second round to Gornik Zabrze, who end up making a run to the final while winning the First Division at a canter. This at least matches the board's expectations.

Season		Club			League			GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	PTS	Finish	
2009-10		Dolcan Zabki		First Division (POL)	34	11	10	13	43	48	43	10th

Key stats:

Our average attendance for the season is 375, last by about 200+ fans per game. (for comparison, Gornik Zabrze lead the division with about 14,000 per game. Second place in the division was roughly 6,000)

We finish 12th in the goal scoring table, and 9th in the goals conceded.

We score only 1 goal from a corner, tying us for 17th in the division. Our 5 goals from IFKs puts us in a 6-way tie for 5th, and we do not score a goal from a DFK all season (which, at least, puts us in company with half the other teams in the division).

We show good discipline, with 43 yellow cards (14th most in the division), and only 1 red card (tying us for 13th most. Stal St. Wola had 12 red cards :eek: )

Post-season

Midfielder Dariusz Papierz starts moaning about how he doesn't play, so I immediately offload him to Pogon for 10,000 zl.

The board put in another 550,000 zl.

In the June update, the board say they are "very pleased with your overall leadership of the team." :thup:

I was just about to ask you in Raware's thread of the whereabouts of your promised next career and lo and behold you're back!! You've got my interest already, 90-ish leagues :eek:!! Wow. This better be good.

Lets hope for a strong start at Dolcan Zabki. They have a good name :thup:

90 something leagues? Did you load all the tiers? :eek:

What computer do you have again? I think I asked you that question already in the other thread but forgot... :D

Very disappointed that you only loaded one 'Asian' league (which is technically not even in Asia on the map :p) but best of luck in Poland. :thup:

90 something leagues? Did you load all the tiers?

Yes.

What computer do you have again? I think I asked you that question already in the other thread but forgot...

Sony Vaio laptop, 3 GB RAM dual-core processor. IIRC. :D

Very disappointed that you only loaded one 'Asian' league (which is technically not even in Asia on the map :p) but best of luck in Poland.

Some of my aborted efforts had all the Asian and South American leagues (usually I tossed out the Eastern European leagues, plus Northern Ireland/Wales and Israel/Turkey to make room), but I just couldn't get into them. I think it's because I usually had Tai Po as an available team to manager and it felt like I was repeating the saves of others. :D

Well, first bit of player power to deal with.

A Bulgarian side was linked to my Nigerian striker Benjamin Imeh (11 goals, 5 assists). I issued a hands-off warning, he promptly declared that he wanted to leave for a bigger club.

So with only a year left on his contract, I offered him around.

Offers came in from Hapoel Jerusalem, Panthrakikos, Zorya Lugansk (UKR), Naftovyk-Ukranafta (UKR), Belchatow (Polish top flight), Stal Alchevsk (UKR), Obolon (UKR), Kryvbas (UKR), and Sturm Graz.

The Hapoel and Stal Alchevsk offers were well off what I was looking for. But the others each offered 280,000 zl. up front, plus 15% of the next sale, plus 5,000 zl. per appearance up to 30 appearances, plus 20,000 zl. for scoring 20 goals.

After much haggling, Mr. Imeh was on his way to Sturm Graz. This will be his 8th club in 9 years. In his profile, his description is "nomadic striker." :D

And with that, our GK Rafal Mistzal (who I'm serious probably saved us at least 8 points this season) is now saying he needs to look at going to a bigger club. :thdn:

Belchatow were the only club to come in with a bid: 160,000 zl. up front, plus 5,000 zl. per appearance up to 30 appearances, plus 15% of the next sale.

Heh. Just discovered Mistzal had been with them before going to us.

So it looks like Belchatow had let him go on free transfer, he established himself with us, and now they're paying money to bring him back. :D

More news: keeping in mind the state of the club's finances, I suggested to the board that we become a feeder club.

As a result, we now have a linkup with Wisla Krakow (Polish champions for 2009-10), who will pay us just short of 60,000 zl. per season to be a place where they can send players on loan. We'll also host an annual friendly.

Well, I too only have 1 year left on my contract. :p

Plus I'd end up missing out on this. ;)

Oh sweet moses!

More news: keeping in mind the state of the club's finances, I suggested to the board that we become a feeder club.

As a result, we now have a linkup with Wisla Krakow (Polish champions for 2009-10), who will pay us just short of 60,000 zl. per season to be a place where they can send players on loan. We'll also host an annual friendly.

Good news. Sounds like you're building the club up as best you can.

Make sure you stop off in South Africa at some point. Go and say hi to the Clever Boys for me would ya?

10/10 for the first sentence! :D

Promising start to your career this. I can't fathom having so many leagues though. I have pretty decent computer too, but I'd have to make a cup of tea between each continue if I ran with something like that.

Knew you had hidden intentions by going to Poland ;)

World Cup 2010

Group stage exits:

A: Algeria, Italy

B: Spain, Costa Rica

C: Switzerland, Australia

D: South Africa, North Korea (wooden spoon winners, with 0 GF and 9 GA)

E: South Korea, Chile

F: Ghana, Honduras

G: USA, Bahrain

H: Japan, Gabon

Second round

Serbia 1-0 Paraguay

Ireland p0-0 Ivory Coast

Greece 1-0 Nigeria

Brazil 2-1 Ecuador

Russia 3-2 Denmark

England p2-2 Holland

Ukraine 1-0 Slovakia

Germany 2-0 Argentina

Quarterfinal

Brazil 4-1 Serbia

Greece 2-1 Ireland

Germany 2-1 Russia

England 1-0 Ukraine

Semifinal

England 2-0 Brazil

Germany 2-0 Greece

Third-place playoff

Brazil 1-0 Greece

Final

England 2-1 Germany

Gerrard 13, Rooney 25; Fischer 90+2

Golden Ball

1. Steven Gerrard: 6 appearances, 3 goals, 1 assist, 7.3 avg. rating

2. Rio Ferdinand: 7 appearances, 2 goals, 7.53 avg. rating

3. Ashley Young: 7 appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists, 7.36 avg. rating

Best Goalkeeper

1. Julio Cesar (BRA): 7 appearances, 5 GA, 6.97 avg. rating

2. Manuel Almunia (ENG): 7 appearances, 4 GA, 6.99 avg. rating

3. Igo Akinfeev (RUS): 5 appearnaces, 5 GA, 7.12 avg. rating

Golden Boot

1. Dirk Kuyt (NED): 4 appearances, 5 G, 1A, 7.95

2. Rafael van der Vaart (NED): 2 appearances, 3 G, 7.95

3. Mario Balotelli (ITA): 2 appearances, 3 G, 7.90 (only 19 years old)

Dream Team

GK: Julio Cesar (BRA)

DL: Ashley Cole (ENG)

DC: John Terry (ENG)

DC: Rio Ferdinand (ENG)

DR: Glen Johnson (ENG)

ML: Ashley Young (ENG)

MC: Olexander Aliev (UKR)

MC: Steven Gerrard (ENG)

MR: Dirk Kuyt (NED)

ST: Wayne Rooney (ENG)

ST: Robinho (BRA)

Looking forward to following your new career. :thup: I can't believe you didn't fancy a start at Tai Po though! :eek:;) On second thoughts, probably for the best as I'm sure you would have shown me up by doing better there. :p

Good luck for the rest of your time in Poland - hope you make it to Turkey or Mexico at some point!

Ha ha! Love the seating arrangement in the stadium! Looks like school assembly when you were a kid! ;)

Steady first season but the parent club should help you out next season. Let's hope they can send some quality youngsters to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that didn't last long.

The board offered me a 1-year contract extension, which I accepted. It turned out to be a poor decision. I lost one of my youth coaches to an assistant manager job with another First Division club. Then my (remaining top striker) Maciej Tataj suffered an injury that kept him out of most of pre-season. I was also scrambling to find a goalkeeper. And a strike partner for Tataj.

Pre-season probably was a bit of a warning as we didn't pose much of a challenge to our opponents (touring clubs from other Eastern European nations). The result was we went straight into the tank.

I lasted 7 matches before handing in my resignation with the club firmly in the relegation zone, deciding to take that course following a 5-3 loss at the team just above the drop zone (their final two goals came off free kicks that whistled into the back of the net from 30 yards out. Both of them. :mad: )

The club would end up promoting to manager a youth coach I hired, and that looks to be the right choice. He's led them to a 5-1-5 mark and has them just adrift of safety.

Fortunately I didn't have a hugely long wait to jump back into management. Although I got knocked back for several jobs in Europe, I finally found a club desperate enough to take a chance on an American Sunday League footballer who'd flopped in his first attempt at management.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you....

Afrwarlogo.jpg

Club: African Warriors FC

League: First Division Coastal Stream, South Africa

Stadium: Charles Mopeli Stadium (20,000 all-seater) owned by Carara Kicks (which fortunately we get to use rent-free)

African Warriors are a semi-professional South African club currently playing in the South African First Division Coastal. The club play their home games at Charles Mopeli Stadium and possess fairly basic training facilities, and a very basic youth setup.

With no real competition history of note, African Warriors are a club with a trophy cabinet waiting to be filled.

The club is so obscure I can't find any YouTube videos of them. :D

Anyway, I arrive 9 Nov., 2010 at a club sitting on the bottom of the Coastal Stream (last place team gets relegated), but I have 18 matches to try to turn things around. Although most of the squad is crap (as you'd expect with a last-place team), I do have a talented player in veteran midfielder Thiyekile Gulwa. I suspect I'm going to put our fate in his hands.

The club is quite threadbare in the boot room (only an ass man, a physio, and one scout), so I put out ads to fill some other positions (we'll see if the board is thinking along the same lines). I've also moved quickly to suggest we find a parent club, which the board is amenable to.

The introductory press conference was also interesting, as the one journalist present asked if this wasn't a step down for me. A step down? Have you seen my CV? :D

Jason \o/

Moving to SA is a wonderful choice, hope it works out well at the African Warriors (another great SA club name!). I don't think I ever played them in my time at the Clever Boys (thanks for the update :thup:). Its a shame your youth facilities are poor as that was a huge part of my job, utilizing the many talents to come through. If you can get them improved, push for it because there is a big talent pool of young SA kids looking for a career :D.

Good to see this career back on track, I'll be following intently :)

Jason \o/

Moving to SA is a wonderful choice, hope it works out well at the African Warriors (another great SA club name!). I don't think I ever played them in my time at the Clever Boys (thanks for the update :thup:). Its a shame your youth facilities are poor as that was a huge part of my job, utilizing the many talents to come through. If you can get them improved, push for it because there is a big talent pool of young SA kids looking for a career

Good to see this career back on track, I'll be following intently

Yeah, there is a bank balance but I'll see how things go before asking for a training facility upgrade.

Good luck in SA Jason, it's a very enjoyable nation.

Oh, and how are Jomo Cosmos doing?

Jomo Cosmos are in a bit of trouble, 13th after 10 matches, only 5 points clear of the drop.

That was quite a move there. Could you afford the ticket? :D

Good luck with the Warriors. A great name. Is it in Zulu-land? :D

That's what credit cards are for. ;)

They're in the former Orange Free State. As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, the former Zulu kingdom is not especially far to the east. Most of my players can speak at least basic Zulu.

African Warriors - I think they were the team chosen for one of the monthly challenges in CSE back on FM08. That was a good save and an eyeopener for me in terms of managing a small club.

Best of luck - hope you can bring out their fighting spirit! :p

Ha, that's funny.

In the run up to our relegation 6-pointer against FCAK, their manager gave me a vote of confidence. So I responded that I hope the best team wins. And he responded the same.

Then he got sacked by the new consortium the day of the match. :D

Interesting move JTY. I don't know a thing about the South African league other than what iacovone wrote about in his thread. From the sounds of that, there's loads of promising players to be found there...and interfering chairman ;).

Good luck with the warriors :thup:

No, you're correct.

Free State wraps around Lesotho's north and west.

Good to hear my memory is still working. A little :D

If my save is anything to go on, consortiums usually don't lead to massive investments. If the club is in debt a loan is given (yeah). And maybe with some small investments along the way to keep it afloat.

When a consortium took over my club I was worried it would mean bottomless pockets, but they've only invest maybe 500K in the four or so years they've been here, and 300K of that was a loan. I think that is quite representative of what goes on. Probably just a safety mechanism in FM to prevent clubs going infinitely into the red.

Um....

So this thread is starting to look like a MeLikeFM career. :D

I lasted 7 matches with African Warriors before walking out. The chairman sold a reserve player (actually, let him go on free transfer), and the team was godawful, so I quit.

Apparently I cursed two clubs in the same season, as both African Warriors and Dolcan Zabki went down (my replacement at DZ got them to the top of the relegation zone, but stalled there. They were relegated by 2 points, and he got the sack).

African Warriors were very consistent. Consistently bad. They were 1-2-7 when I took over. I went 0-2-5 before resigning. And following my resignation they went 1-2-7.

So, it's back to applying for vacant positions, but getting knocked back at all of them.

Well, after 6 months of getting knocked back, I now have my pick of clubs, and I'm not sure who to go with. :D

I have 4 job offers on the table:

Clube Atletico Macedo Cavaleiros - Portuguese 2nd Division North

3-year contract at 500 euro per week

Semi-professional, with a chairman who is willing to listen to offers.

The stadium holds 3,000, with 500 seats.

The finances are okay. There is no transfer budget, and a wage budget of 3600 euro per week.

The training facilities are good, with the youth facilities minimal.

It is a feeder club to a Liga Vitalis side.

Club is predicted to finish 14th (relegation zone)

The municipality has a population of ~17,500

Juventude de Evora - Portuguese 2nd Division Central

3-year contract at 475 euro per week

The club is semi-professional, with a chairman who is willing to listen to offers.

The finances are okay, with a transfer budget of 0, and a wage budget of 3500 euro per week.

The stadium holds 7,000 spectators, with 3,000 seats

The training facilities are average, with minimal youth facilities

There are no affiliations

The club is predicted to finish 9th (mid-table)

There are 55,600 people in the municipality.

Nuovo Campobasso - Serie C2/B

3-year contract at 500 euro per week

The club is professional, with a chairman who is happy to stay

The finances are okay, with a transfer budget of 8,750 euro, and a wage budget of 6,750 euro per week

The stadium holds 7,500 spectators

The training facilities are adequate, with basic youth facilities

It is a feeder club to a Serie C1 side, and a parent club to two lower division sides.

The club is predicted to finish 18th (automatic relegation)

There are 51,200 people in the municipality

Savona - Serie C2/C

3-year contract on 525 euro per week

The club is professional, with a chairman who is loving life at the club

The club play in a 6500 capacity all-seater stadium

The finances are okay, with a transfer budget of 8,500 euro, and a wage budget of 6,750 euro per week

The training facilities are average, with basic youth facilities.

It is a feeder club to a Serie C1 side.

The club is predicted to finish 17th (relegation playoff)

There are 62,500 people in the municipality

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've delayed a response to all of them. I'm leaning toward the Savona job as it looks a bit more stable, but what say the rest of you?

(and before someone else says it, I realize I probably shouldn't torture myself with this decision as I'm just going to walk out at the first sign of trouble. :D)

SAVONA!!!!! They were my side in the Big Euro Nation challenge over in CSE last year. Took them to CL and Serie A glory :cool:
I'm with iacovone. Take Savona. :thup:

Maybe you can do something similar to what iacovone did with them. :D

Serie C2 looks more appealing than the Portuguese 2nd Division for a few reasons:

In C2, the top team gets promotion. In P2D, that only gets them to a playoff.

In C2, only the bottom team is automatically relegation. In P2D, the bottom 4 in each region go straight down.

Well, I've made my choice:

logosavonafbc.gif

Football Manager:

Found in 1907, Savona area professional Italian club currently playing in the Italian Serie C2/C. The club play their home games at Valerio Bacigalupo and possess average training facilities and a basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as Striscioni and retains a fierce rivalry with Sanremese.

Having enjoyed success as recently as 2002, Striscioni are a club with a growing history. Savona won the Italian 5th tier for the only time in 2002 and finished runners-up once.

Wikipedia:

Savona 1907 Foot-Ball Club is an Italian football club located in Savona, Liguria. It currently plays in Serie D. Its colors are white and blue.

The club was founded in 1907. Until 2005/06 season, the side was named Savona Calcio. Savona's history includes 2 seasons in the Italian Football Championship in the 1920's, and many seasons in Serie B in the 1960's.

After spending some time in Serie C2 the team was relegated to Serie D and have remained there, only having two stints in Serie C2 between 2003 and 2005 before being relegated back.

bacigalupo.jpg

Oh I'm so so happy you've taken over Savona Jason :). Doubt you're interested but here's the experiment I did on them following my completion of the Big Euro challenge last year. First post has the summaries of every year I spent there. Halcyon days :*)

Here

Archived