Chelsea - Man City (how can I not loose?!)

Hi there !

I'm currently playing Man City and now I'm playing against Chelsea and I decided to try as many times as needed to actualy win it, no matter what setting I make, I always loose this match although there are lots of goals (3:2, 4:3, 2:1, etc.)

I'm playing standard 4-4-2 and my lineup goes as follows:

Given - Zabaleta, Toure, Richards, Bridge - Phillips, Barry, De Jong, Robnho - Adebayor, Tevez

with default settings for:

Given - Goalkeeper / Defend

Zabaleta & Bridge - Full Back / Automatic

Toure & Richards - Central Defender / Defend

Phillips & Robinho - Winger / Attack

De Jong - Ball Winning Midfielder / Defend

Barry - Central Midfielder / Support

Adebayor - Target Man / Attack

Tevez - Tranquartista / Attack

Team settings:

Philisophy - Balanced

Starting Strategy - Standard

Passing Style - Default

Creative Freedom - Default

Closing Down - Press More

Tacling - More Aggressive

Marking - Default

Crossing - Default

Roaming - Default

I have tried to experiment with Defensive Line, Counter Attack and Play Offiside but no matter what I choose I always loose, most of my lost goals look like this:

Passing to Anelka/Drogba who suddenly appears between my defenders and goes 1 on 1 with Given who sux ass and there it is... that's how 99% of my lost goals look like. Of course I also have such opportunities but Cech blocks 99% of my shots for a change.

My main question is: what should I do with my DCs to avoid such situations? I tried Push Up Def line and offsides, I tried deep Def Line without offsides, seems it doesnt work and it ****es me off... I'm starting to think that it's some kind of bug cause I can understand that some poor defenders may do that, but not Toure / Richards / Lescott, to be honest I have the same problem with all teams I was playing like Barca, Juve, etc. Meybe I should focus on defenders with high pace and acceleration? If that's the case what is the point of having slow defenders in this game if they suck in any configuration?

It's not slow defenders that suck or fast defenders that rule, it is defenders with Anticipation, Concentration, Decisions and Positioning that rule whether fast or slow. The problem with Man City is that their defenders are atrocious in this critical area, there is no two ways about it. By contrast Chelsea are brilliant at ripping through the middle of teams.

Forget thinking you have good defenders because you don't. De Jong isn't going to be able to handle Chelsea's midfield while covering your rubbish defenders and even pulling Barry back is unlikely to be enough. You can't afford to be playing 4 attacking players that are not going to help out your defence, so take Tevez off Trequartista role for a start.

Chelsea's major weaknesses are A: they lack natural width, B: their midfield is slow and not very aggressive barring Essien who is not very good technically, C: their midfield is deceptive physically, their best players can be roughed up, knocked off the ball or easilly tired. D: their central defence is slow and can also be roughed up physically.

While Chelsea will try and tear you apart through the middle you can ping the ball about wide and exploit the channels between Fullback and Centreback from wide areas, but you need to get some kind of defense only central midfield on the go getting stuck into Lampard and Ballack and Mikel. 3 Hard working midfielders like Zabaleta, Barry, De Jong doing destroying work in the middle of the pitch ahead of your back four with SWP and Bellamy down the flanks, then it is up to you to start with a Targetman like Adebayor upfront for crosses or Tevez dropping deeper to help out the midfield and link-up with the widemen as a deep forward and finish with the opposite.

If you start with Tevez then start with Robinho. If you bring Tevez on in the second half then save Robinho for the second half as well. You want these two in top condition and playing at the same time for maximum benefit.

Tevez as trequartista? He's the most hard working player you have, and you tell him not to do anything defensively? Thats a waste of potential.

Asking a striker to go back and help out in defensive duties is a waste regardless of his work ethics. If he drops too far back then when you do break and go forward he'll not be in his correct position to be able to help. Not only that but he will lose a massive part of his attacking game. If you need a striker to help defensivley then your tactic is majorly flawed to begin with imo.

For me the trequartista is the ideal position for Tevez.

Asking a striker to go back and help out in defensive duties is a waste regardless of his work ethics. If he drops too far back then when you do break and go forward he'll not be in his correct position to be able to help. Not only that but he will lose a massive part of his attacking game. If you need a striker to help defensivley then your tactic is majorly flawed to begin with imo.

For me the trequartista is the ideal position for Tevez.

Sorry I really dont understand this sentiment at all. IRL you see Strikers pitching in on defensive dutys all the time. Putting in tackles and headed clearences. A good defence starts from the front - especialy when playing stronger opposition. Also how does Tevez make an ideal Trequartista? Creativity 15, Flair 16, Passsing 14, Decisions 14, Long Shots 14 - hardly mind blowing - however he has Workrate 20, Teamwork 18, Determination 19, Tackling 11 (pretty good for a forward) - telling him to get stuck in is a good idea imo.

Sorry I really dont understand this sentiment at all. IRL you see Strikers pitching in on defensive dutys all the time. Putting in tackles and headed clearences. A good defence starts from the front - especialy when playing stronger opposition. Also how does Tevez make an ideal Trequartista? Creativity 15, Flair 16, Passsing 14, Decisions 14, Long Shots 14 - hardly mind blowing - however he has Workrate 20, Teamwork 18, Determination 19, Tackling 11 (pretty good for a forward) - telling him to get stuck in is a good idea imo.

This isn't real life its a game.

In game terms asking Tevez to come deeper to help defensivley will take something away fromhis attacking side of the game, there is no 2 ways about it on FM. Remember in the opening post he's already asked to be the link between midfield and striker. Benoit was saying he'd ask him to do more defensive work.

His work rate, determination, flair and creativity are all vital stats the trequarista needs.

This isn't real life its a game.

In game terms asking Tevez to come deeper to help defensivley will take something away fromhis attacking side of the game, there is no 2 ways about it on FM. Remember in the opening post he's already asked to be the link between midfield and striker. Benoit was saying he'd ask him to do more defensive work.

Ye and he is leaking goals - scoring doesnt seem such a problem - real life or not. Anyway I still consider Tevez to be a poor playmaker.

Ye and he is leaking goals - scoring doesnt seem such a problem - real life or not. Anyway I still consider Tevez to be a poor playmaker.

Why is he a poor playmaker when he has the correct stats? I don't understand your reasoning. He can do the job fine with the stats he has.

91650733.jpg

All the circled stats are what a playmaker needs. More than capable if you ask me.

He's leaking goals because his defence and midfield are the issue, he needs to get them more involved and not take away from the attacking aspects from his front players.

Because I dont think that Strikers / Forwards have no role to play in defensive dutys - in FM I see Forwards make plenty of contributions - I dont think Tevez makes a good Trequartista - his stats are adequate only - to give a player that role they should be excellent - my personal opinion is that he suits a more rigid position - I mean I could equaly ask you - why is necessart to have a Trequartista at all? - unless you have a player who excels at it - which he does not.

Because I dont think that Strikers / Forwards have no role to play in defensive dutys - in FM I see Forwards make plenty of contributions - I dont think Tevez makes a good Trequartista - his stats are adequate only - to give a player that role they should be excellent - my personal opinion is that he suits a more rigid position - I mean I could equaly ask you - why is necessart to have a Trequartista at all? - unless you have a player who excels at it - which he does not.

It's not my tactic and I didn't set it up, so therefore its not me who wants a Trequarista. It's not vital you have 1, but I think the system that posted in the opening post is suited for one. I've also posted his stats above that he needs for the position and they are far from adequate.

And I never said forwards don't contribute I said there was no need to ask him to come any deeper. If you do you may aswell just drop him to DMC position as he'll already be in midfield anyways due to him been the Treq. If you read the opening post and look at his instructions he has to many defensive players already, so why does he need more?

It's not my tactic and I didn't set it up, so therefore its not me who wants a Trequarista. It's not vital you have 1, but I think the system that posted in the opening post is suited for one. I've also posted his stats above that he needs for the position and they are far from adequate.

And I never said forwards don't contribute I said there was no need to ask him to come any deeper. If you do you may aswell just drop him to DMC position as he'll already be in midfield anyways due to him been the Treq. If you read the opening post and look at his instructions he has to many defensive players already, so why does he need more?

I guess we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes "adequate" and also what stats are important. Simple as that.

I guess we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes "adequate" and also what stats are important. Simple as that.

I'm correct with the stats, it even shows you in game. But we'll just agree to disagree then:thup:

I'm correct with the stats, it even shows you in game. But we'll just agree to disagree then:thup:

Actualy the game lists Agility not Stamina, no Teamwork - which you do, Composure - you dont, and Finishing not Dribbling.

Would be interesting if your game (10.2) is showing something different??

And yes I dont agree with the game either.

Unless your looking at Ad Playmaker - Attack / Support - but then it still doesnt quite add up....

Im not saying make Tevez drop deeper. Im saying make him close down the defenders of Chelsea. A good defence starts from the front. If Tevez is just standing in the middle of the park without putting pressure on Chelsea's defence, then they will have all the time in the world to get organised and get the ball forward. If you press them though, they might make a hurried clearance, or you can nick the ball away for a counter.

Tevez is ideally suited for that kind of defensive work. I never said lower is mentality so he drops deeper.

In my Barca tactic, my front three are on maximum closing down, and its working great. Both offensively and defensively.

It's not slow defenders that suck or fast defenders that rule, it is defenders with Anticipation, Concentration, Decisions and Positioning that rule whether fast or slow. The problem with Man City is that their defenders are atrocious in this critical area, there is no two ways about it. By contrast Chelsea are brilliant at ripping through the middle of teams.

Forget thinking you have good defenders because you don't. De Jong isn't going to be able to handle Chelsea's midfield while covering your rubbish defenders and even pulling Barry back is unlikely to be enough. You can't afford to be playing 4 attacking players that are not going to help out your defence, so take Tevez off Trequartista role for a start.

Chelsea's major weaknesses are A: they lack natural width, B: their midfield is slow and not very aggressive barring Essien who is not very good technically, C: their midfield is deceptive physically, their best players can be roughed up, knocked off the ball or easilly tired. D: their central defence is slow and can also be roughed up physically.

While Chelsea will try and tear you apart through the middle you can ping the ball about wide and exploit the channels between Fullback and Centreback from wide areas, but you need to get some kind of defense only central midfield on the go getting stuck into Lampard and Ballack and Mikel. 3 Hard working midfielders like Zabaleta, Barry, De Jong doing destroying work in the middle of the pitch ahead of your back four with SWP and Bellamy down the flanks, then it is up to you to start with a Targetman like Adebayor upfront for crosses or Tevez dropping deeper to help out the midfield and link-up with the widemen as a deep forward and finish with the opposite.

If you start with Tevez then start with Robinho. If you bring Tevez on in the second half then save Robinho for the second half as well. You want these two in top condition and playing at the same time for maximum benefit.

That was the only constructive reply so far, thanks, sounds reasonable and I like how u think, however there some issues:

1. How am I supposed to know what tactic will Chelsea go for while playing against me? If I go for 3 x Defensive Midfielders and they will go with some wide wingers, then I'm screwed

2. I don't understand why u say City's DCs are rubbish:

Richards:

Anticipation - 13

Concentration - 11

Decisions - 12

Positioning - 9

Toure:

Anticipation - 15

Concentration - 14

Decisions - 14

Positioning - 14

For example Terry's stats go as follows:

John Terry

Anticipation - 17

Concentration - 16

Decisions - 16

Positioning - 17

Although Richards stats seem to suck, Toure's is pretty similar to Terry.

3. To be honest, no matter what I do every game with "big four" looks the same: I have like 30 shots on targets, all are defended by their keeper, they go with 1 action and its 0:1

4. Bellamy is FC now, so I doubt he can play as ML/AML

5. Tevez is brilliant as Tranquista, he has played 15 games, scored 14 goals and assisted 13 times and he is the major contender for the footballer of the year award ><

Archived