[FM10] Managing in South Africa – Inspired by Robben Island

Romanista1994

South Africa during the apartheid regime. Many political dissidents were imprisoned for decades on a small island some seven miles off the coast of Cape Town: Robben Island. These political prisoners include most notably, former South African President and Nobel Laureate Nelson Mandela, former South African President Kgalema Motlanthe and current South African President Jacob Zuma.

You will be thinking that this is all very interesting, but what has it got to do with football?

Well, the prison on Robben Island contained a football pitch and the prisoners got permission to use it for fifteen minutes every day. The matches on the island soon became organised to get as many of possible of the prisoners playing. Football was a way of keeping one’s sanity in the inhumane living conditions.

Hearing this story on some news channel I really wanted to get going in South Africa and seeing iacovone’s success with the Clever Boys was the last straw that made me start a game in South Africa with Jomo Cosmos…

Awesome Romanista! Another manager in SA :). I'll be following your progress for sure, I've loved my time with the Clever Boys. Good luck here :thup:

Oh and if you can work out if its possible to get a work permit for anyone do let me know ;)

Thanks iacovone! :)

It was infact your save with the Clever Boys and your success with them that got me starting the game with Jomo Cosmos. :D

About the work permits I'm hoping to use mainly South Africans in the team.

A bigger problem I foresee is the board selling my players. If I lose the great striker prospect that I found in my youth I'll be pretty p***ed for sure.

Jomo_Cosmos_Logo.png

Jomo Cosmos: A Background

Founded in 1983, Jomo Cosmos are a professional South African club currently playing in the South African Premier Soccer League. The club play their home games at Rand Stadium and possess good training and an excellent youth setup. The club is affectionately known as Ezenkosi.

I am very happy with the excellent youth facilities and the stadium is pretty big with 35000 seats.

The squad:

At the back:

The goalkeeper at the club is pretty bad, will need replacement.

No fullbacks. As I play with a backline of four players I’m off to shop.

I have only one central defender who actually has the stats for the position.

In the middle:

Solid, no but without stars. I might look for a defensive midfielder.

Up front:

The best area of the team. I have good striker who can feed the poacher who is probably the best player at the club at 16. ANd the other forwards aren't bad.

Best Player:

Hlongwane

Hope the first season is a good one. I like Jomo Cosmos, they've been pretty harmless on my file. Hlongwane is class for this division already, make sure you tie him down to a long contract and set his transfer fee at £5m to scare clubs off. Its all you can do to prevent players leaving for Europe tbh. And even if you do that if you have a chairman like mine you'll stand no chance of seeing him into his 20s. I've lost about 10 key players in total due to his selfish work.

Re: foreigners, I've not been able to sign a single one in SA due to work permits. If you do manage to I'd be interested in a screeny as I've seen players with plenty of caps be denied one :thdn:

Pre-Season 2009:

2-2 vs Jomo Cosmos Reserves

1-0 vs Black Leopards

2-0 vs Bay United

2-2 vs Thanda Royal Zulu

0-2 vs Tuks

Then I decided (stupidly) to create a cup tournament and inviting Real Madrid, Chelsea and Man Utd so...

0-3 vs Man Utd

0-4 vs Real

3-2 vs Dynamos

Hlongwane got two goals and three assists.

And the season started with a draw against MP Black Aces with us firm favourites. :mad:

Jomo_Cosmos_Logo.png

Jomo Cosmos 2009/2010

The league

Media Prediction: 7th

Final Position: 8th|Graph

We slightly underperformed becoming 8th u=instead of the predicted seventh. Getting joint third in goals scored was pretty good but it was the defence that really let us down, conceding 43 goals was almost on par with the relegated sides.

Knockout and FA Cup

We were woeful. Eliminated in the first round of the Knockout Cup and in the second of the FA Cup.

Transfers

I only signed free players and sold off a few useless players.

For the next season I have got a CB on a Bosman who will probably be one of the best players at the club.

Players

The feeding striker Tico-Tico was the topscorer with 17 goals. He was immediately followed by Hlongwane who scorced 15 in 29 matches which was a good tally for a seventeen-year-old. He was also strangely (for a poacher) joint top assister making the decisive pass 6 times.

Finaces

Financially the club is solid making a 1.5 million profit over the season. The club’s value went from 4.2 million at the start to 6 million.

Next Season

The main aim for next season is to concede much less. Better results in the cups are also hopefully going to come. Getting into the ACL is probably not going to happen but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

If the updates are rare and a bit on the short side it's because my parents have decided for reasons only known to themselves to impose a time limit to my account on the computer.

Nice start to the career there mate. Im currently enjoying a career with Sundowns. Finally in season 5 it looks like I might snatch the title. Be sure to look for regens, the regens that come through are of a higher standard than the existing players within about two years. In season one I poached three top younsters and all were full internationals in their teens. A couple of players return home from overseas you could look out for. Michael Modubi(DM), Elrio van Heerden(AMRC), and Kermit Erasmus(ST). All three can walk into any SAPL team. Finally in 2013, ive managed to pick up TWO foreign plaayers. A croatian ST and a Congolese LB both of whom are only Youth internationals! Good luck mate, Jomo Cosmos get the best regens in South Africa IMO.

Good start mate, I have never considered a career in South Africa before but the number of South African careers popping up is slowly making me consider giving it a go. Hlongwane could be an absolute legend if you can keep hold of him, have you rejected any offers yet?

Thanks davidmcain and CAFCIan75. :)

davidmcain, I have already noticed that regens will become better than the real players soon as I got one through at the start. :D

I will also be looking out for South Africans coming home, thanks for reminding me. :thup:

CAFCIan75, you should really come to manage in South Africa, there's good teams and the players you get through are great.

I haven't had any offers for Hlongwane yet and I hope that none come in the near future as I'd love to make him the club's best ever scorer. :D

Thanks m1234566778. :)

And Erasmus is on my shortlist. :thup:

Don't worry about the regen date davidmcain, they just came through, on July 15.

And here are the picks of the crop:

Steven Jacobs - Unfortunately the highest rated player of the bunch is a RM where I already have a few better prospects, though he may play a few as a ST.

4 star potential. Leading Premier League player.

Mickey Sheppard - I'm delighted with this player though, he looks like a great GK prospect already and will certainly become better than my current keeper.

3.5 star potential. Good Premier League goalkeeper.

Both have been offered contracts as well as a couple of 3 star rated players.

Ooo, we're in the process of my first takeover, but it's only a consortium, unfortunately. :thdn:

Oh, and, davidmcain, do you know the date regens come through because I haven't got any by July?

Hey mate, they should come through in early July, the 10th off the top of my head. Good Luck

Bad news on the takeover front. The consortium that wants to take over the club wants to replace me. And we got ourselves a transfer embargo.

On a slightly better note we have been solid in our three friendlies:

4-1 vs F.C.A.K. a solid result.

2-0 vs Hellenic we deserved a much higher score, the woodwork denied us at least four times.

2-0 vs Luso Africa we should have scored more against our feeder club.

Edit: There seem to be no fixtures except the friendlies?

Screenshot

Edit 2: I've been allowed to stay by the new chairman, who will also improve our training facilities.

Jomo_Cosmos_Logo.png

Jomo Cosmos 2009/2010

The league

Not having the 10.2 patch meant the PSL wasn't played

Knockout and FA Cup

Getting better we were again eliminated in the Knockout Cup, but we got to the Semi FInal of the FA Cup before losing to Orlando Pirates.

Fixtures

Transfers

I let a lot of useless players go for free and brought in some better players in for free.

Transfers

Players

Hlongwane was the joint topscorer with three goals from five matches. Tico-Tico had the most assist with four.

Hlongwane

Finaces

We lost about 200k because we didn't get ticket sales and the new board upgraded our training facilities to top.

The club is valued at 8m.

Next Season

Playing the SPL again. And getting into ACL spots if we play.

It seems I'm going to have to quit this game after all. No fixtures came up at the start of the third season even after downloading the 10.2 patch

I might come back with a new career, but with more leagues loaded to offer a wider range of job options.

It's a shame Hlongwane only got to play one season. :(

Archived