My Next Project : Project Mourinho

Evening all :) Yes it is I again. After the "Play Like Pep" thread I've decided to base my next project on a manager I've admired since the early naughties. It was truely a shame that he became Chelsea manager ;) It's always made me wonder what if we hadn't be beaten by Chelsea last day of the season and made it into the Champions League. But that's all in the past.

The first time I encountered Mourinho was actually on Championship Manager believe it or not. Does anyone remember 01/02 when that pesky Defensive_Counter formation (4-3-2-1) turned up? Well the in-game Mourinho was the first to use it against me. Later on when I found out that he was actually a decent manager (according to some portugese friends I'd met) I always followed with interest. After he'd won the Champions League with Porto I even bought "his" book which I can recommend if you want to read about some pshycology he used at times and insight into how he plays his team.

I didn't want to name the thread "Play like Mourinho" for the simple reason that it's impossible. He has a very engaging tactical mind which is difficult to place on paper but I think that going through his preferred formation(s) and how he approaches games shouldn't be all that difficult to discuss. Hopefully we can get as good a discussion going as there was in my other thread.

So let's look some basics here. Despite Mourinho's claims that he is an attacking coach I would disagree. I would say he is a little more cautious then that but not so much so to say that he is defensive. He just places a big emphasis on defence because that's the type of style he has. He is very aware of how good his defence is and threats coming from the opposition. Also the whole team helps to defend, noone is left to be "lazy" however not everyone contributes to the attacking phase.

Formation-wise I would say the in-game Mourinho has it spot on IMO. At the moment he favours the 4-3-1-2 but has 4-3-3 as his second favourite. Now IRL I would almost say it's a 4-4-2 diamond with narrow wide midfielders however this is impossible in FM since the days of side arrows were removed. So the only way to mimic this is by placing 3 central midfielders alongside each other and possibly playing a little wider to push them out about (needs to be tested). Throughout this thread I'm more likely to refer to it as a 4-4-2 though.

Now, the 4-4-2 was "created" by Mourinho after he felt the 4-3-3 formation was not working well enough in Europe (I believe he also tested it when he had some injury problems with Porto). Almost the same situation has now happened with Inter where he tried it but it wasn't doing well at all and now has referred back to the 4-4-2. I guess the good thing would be if we could create to similiar tactics because then it would more likely suit any type of team. You either have good wingers or you don't then you could try either one or the other.

I'm pretty sure most people are aware of how Mourinho plays his 4-3-3 over here in England as we've seen it time and again. The MC's play differently then in the 4-4-2 as they don't have to play wider and the more defensive midfielder can be dropped down to DMC with one MC being the playmaker and the other one being a more link up man between attack and midfield.

Mourinho also likes his playmakers. At Porto it was Deco, at Chelsea Lampard and now at Inter it's Sneijder. He also likes his anchormen. Costinha at Porto, Makalele at Chelsea and Cambiasso at Inter. Apart from those two roles the midfield might change. Eitehr an extra man comes in to make sure the midfield battle isn't lost or two winger/forwards are employed to make teh attack more potent.

When it comes to defence Mourinho often talks about the importance of winning the ball back and to do so at all costs which would indicate high closing down. However the D-Line isn't asked to push up, they always work in correlation to where the ball is on the pitch which means they'll not puch up or drop deep, they'll just hold their own.

When in possesion of the ball this is where it gets a little tricky. Mourinho has written in the book that because the players are doing everything to win the ball back it's important for them to "rest" sometimes when in possesion to not tire players out. He also said most of the time the anchorman would be the one who decided when to attack and when not to. This part of Mourinho's philosophy is very difficult in fit into FM unless you use the "Take a Breather" shout now and then. Either that or using the Time Wasting slider so they have more of tendency to sit back a little more.

Other then that I would say their passing style is quite direct-ish with a high-ish tempo as and quite organized attacks in terms or roaming and creative freedom. This should be quite interesting to see if it works.

At the moment I'm just trying to decide which team to be and if I'm going to develop both tactics I'll need a team with both good wingers and good central midfielders equally.

Anyways, will be back with some more info when I can :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mourinho 442

442mourinho.png

I decided to opt to release the 442 tactic first as it is the most adaptable to all teams. However I would argue that 433 is Mourinho's preferred way to play as he has tried to incorperate that system in each team he has managed (Benfica, Leiria, Porto, Chelsea and now Inter) however he feels this system is more stable of the 433 isn't working as it should. Most of the time with a 433 you need a good team with a complete striker and two fast creative wingers. However in this system you basically have one striker less btu more stability in midfield so you should control more.

There are two versions of the tactic. Dominate and Control. I think I'll quote Mourinho so you get the jist of when to use the diffrent versions -

"By dominating, I mean a team that attacks an opponent's half, looking to score and having ball superiority. Controlling the game means playing further back, with all spaces filled up, with a system designed to keep the ball, going on the attack with an objective, passing and circulating the ball along the last line of men"

Most of the time Mourinho would ask to dominate most games as it keeps the opponents at bay most of the match. However sometimes players were ask to hold onto it more and be more patient. The decision is ultimately yours.

When it comes to players the middle MC is a playmaker asked to dictate ball play, the outer MC's are more just supporting midfielders helping the strikers to score. The left forward is a "shadow forward" as Mourinho describes. Someone who's given the freedom to roam the flanks and down the middle. You will see him pop up a little all over the place. If your are a middle/lower team it might help to select him as a target man and get the ball to his feet as he should be free most of the time. The other forward is a natural goalscorer and will get into the box frequently.

Great post Justified! Always been a Mourinho fan so will be watching on with interest ...

I agree with you with regards Mourinho's high pressure strategy and have also read the book on him which discusses 'resting' whilst in possession and leaving decision making to the anchor man. Perhaps in FM this would translate to high closing down out of possession, with slow tempo and short passing in possession with very few players on try through balls, and the DM as a deep lying playmaker. I'd like to think counter attack ticked would also let the team counter attack when the opportunity arises and go more direct but I'm not sure if it would just compromise the slow, short controlling strategy.

Thanks lads. Early testing seems promising in terms of possession. I've only just done defaults for now too see what plays best but so far so good. I have the three mids on ball-winning midfielders with two on support and one on defence, an advanced playmaker on attack and two poachers. It is actually going a lot against "common sense" but it actually looks really good :D

In regards to "resting". I think the only way is Time Wasting. Low time wasting often means they won't sit back at all whereas mixed (which I'm testing now) means they'll sit back a little more. I don't want to leave out the higher tempo and passing as this is, imo, the way Mourinho tells his teams to play.

I agree at the key moments in the game Mourinho wants his team to go for the jugular and be fast and direct. But when these opportunities don't present themselves they will control the game by employing the 'resting' in possession strategy ...

To be honest most teams would want to play this way. I.e. controlling games and taking counter attack opportunities when they arise, but most teams haven't got players good enough to do both (i.e. pacy, skilful players for fast breaks and composed, technical players to keep the ball). Counter attacks are statistically how most goals are scored and all the best teams rely on quick counters for the majority of their goals ... particularly in modern football today where very few teams have a true playmaker in midfield capable of unlocking defences. Central midfields today are mostly about strength and energy with goals scored from rapid breaks using wingers, forwards and sometimes even full backs (think Maicon) as counter attack outlets.

I'm rambling a bit but I guess the point is it's difficult to implement this 'counter attack when it's on, keep the ball when it's not' strategy in FM. I'd expect a Mourinho team to largely dominate possession but also be capable of lightning quick counter attacks when the opportunity arises. Good luck creating it!

I have to say I'll be following this. Just because, even though Mourinho won all those trophies with the team I hate the most in Portugal, I love his work. And even though it was for a really small time, he was the best manager to set foot at Benfica. Gladly we now have Jesus, but Mourinho is still the best one. I know I'm gonna killed for this, but it's my oppinion.

By the way, I'm loving your "Play like Pep" tactic.

Cheers.

Justified!

I was going to start a thread on Jose Mourinho....... I guess I will have to add to this discussion instead. :)

I was doing some 'research' on the Internet, and as for the 4-3-3, Jose tries to pack the Midfield. So I imagine by using High Closing down settings would be useful. Then he also tries to get his AMR and AML (Wingers) to get involved in the play in the Center, so they become AMCs in attack, then become Wide players in defence. As for Width, he use his Fullbacks alot, gives them alot of Creative Freedom, as he had Maxwell on the left last season (before joining Barcelona.) and then has Maicon on the right. This is how he gets width in attack. As for the Centrall Midfielders, I suppose you could call the 2 MCs 'Box to Box' Midfielders, they don't commit to attacks soo much as Barcelona. Jose is known for his 'Cautious' approach as some may call it.

Any way I look forward to seeing on what you come up with :thup:

I would have to disagree on the high tempo. Resting on the ball doesn't mean playing high tempo. Passing isn't global for the whole team. I think the 2 DC's + DM are on short, the fullbacks on direct, 2MC's on mixed, AM + FC on short. The fullbacks have no FWR runs, as he wants to keep things tight on defense - but he makes an exception for Maicon. If Mourinho wants to go more attacking he changes the whole formation - 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or 3-4-3. He chose not to use the 4-3-3 at Inter because Mancini (remember him?) and Quaresma are a bust and Balotelli isn't really a winger. If I were to use Inter I would go for this:

GK - Cesar - goalkeeper - defend

DR - Maicon - fullback - attack

DL - Chivu - fullback - support

DC - Lucio - defender - cover

DC - Samuel - defender - defend

MCd - Cambiaso - Ball-winning midfielder - defend

MCr - Stankovic - center midfielder - support

MCl - Muntari - same

AMC - Snejider - advanced playmaker - attack

FC - Eto'o - poacher - attack

FC - Milito - advanced forward - attack

Rigid Philosophy

Standart Strategy

Passing more direct

Pressing more

Less roaming

I don't know if I will have the time to test it now, as I'm too much into my Barca game at the moment - playing just like Pep, Justified but mostly using my own settings with few helpful tweaks from yours. Good luck with this one though.

Afternoon all.

First off thansk for all replies in response to this thread. There seems to be a little more interest in this which'll hopefully spark some good discussions. :thup:

Still at work at the moment so haven't been able to really make a tactic to release yet but I did have some thoughts.

I think one of the important things that I hadn't really thought of was how Porto, and to some degree Chelsea, were highly adaptable when it came to formation switching between the 4-4-2 and the 4-3-3 which makes me lean more towards making a 4-1-3-2 as that'll mean the core of the tactic (back four + DMC + 2MC's and 1 FC) will remain in tact at all times. What that means is that 8 of the 10 outfield roles always remain the same within the two systems which should make it highly adaptable. So whatever I do in the 4-1-3-2 I have to consider it in the 4-1-2-2-1 as well.

The back five would be incorperating a Nike System, the two core MC's would be one supporting Advanced Playmaker (probably with mixed FWRD Runs though) and one Supporting (Box to Box?) midfielder. The extra MC in the 4-1-3-2 system would probably be a box to box midfielder, someone who defends and someone who supports attacks too. From what I remember from all central midfielders Mourinho used was they loved to shoot from range (Maniche, Tiago, Lampard, Essien, Muntari, Motta). In attack I'm guessing the core FC would have to be a complete forward. Someone who comes deep, moves into the channels, beats the offside trap etc etc. When two play up front I'm a little unsure. It seems at Inter Eto'o is the complete striker where Milito is actually a sort of Poacher. I'll have to re-read the book with regards to the striker system but I'm sure it was something about a shadow striker.

I should have some time to work on it tonight and start uploading some info towards the end of the week.

Afternoon all.

First off thansk for all replies in response to this thread. There seems to be a little more interest in this which'll hopefully spark some good discussions. :thup:

Still at work at the moment so haven't been able to really make a tactic to release yet but I did have some thoughts.

I think one of the important things that I hadn't really thought of was how Porto, and to some degree Chelsea, were highly adaptable when it came to formation switching between the 4-4-2 and the 4-3-3 which makes me lean more towards making a 4-1-3-2 as that'll mean the core of the tactic (back four + DMC + 2MC's and 1 FC) will remain in tact at all times. What that means is that 8 of the 10 outfield roles always remain the same within the two systems which should make it highly adaptable. So whatever I do in the 4-1-3-2 I have to consider it in the 4-1-2-2-1 as well.

The back five would be incorperating a Nike System, the two core MC's would be one supporting Advanced Playmaker (probably with mixed FWRD Runs though) and one Supporting (Box to Box?) midfielder. The extra MC in the 4-1-3-2 system would probably be a box to box midfielder, someone who defends and someone who supports attacks too. From what I remember from all central midfielders Mourinho used was they loved to shoot from range (Maniche, Tiago, Lampard, Essien, Muntari, Motta). In attack I'm guessing the core FC would have to be a complete forward. Someone who comes deep, moves into the channels, beats the offside trap etc etc. When two play up front I'm a little unsure. It seems at Inter Eto'o is the complete striker where Milito is actually a sort of Poacher. I'll have to re-read the book with regards to the striker system but I'm sure it was something about a shadow striker.

I should have some time to work on it tonight and start uploading some info towards the end of the week.

Like the thought here of the two systems interchanging.

Like the thought here of the two systems interchanging.

In theory it makes sense but we'll have to see in FM how it translates because it's not always it goes down well. However if I somehow can keep passing, tempo and closing down very similiar then the formation change would have to be the only thing they'd have to adapt to and theoretically a midfielder and striekr come off for two wingers who wouldn't have to adapt because they never play in the 4-4-2 unless they are utility players.

Only time will tell....

Another short update:

Right, I'm coming closer to posting the first tactic of two which'll be focusing on the 4x4x2 which Mourinho has employed at Porto, Chelsea and now Inter. The 4x4x2, as I posted in the first post, first came about when he was at Porto. In Mourinho's own words he said why he switched from 4x3x3 to 4x4x2 -

"'As I need to attack, I have to play with an extra forward.' But, for that match I saw things differently. 'I have to have an extra midfielder to control the match'"

He also went on to say that Deco has more freedom when it comes to attacking in the 4x4x2 then when he plays in the 4x3x3. With this in mind I believe he was just given more creative freedom in attack rather then hgher mentality as such. Somewhere in the book as well he says that Deco was the only player actually given the freedom to roam from his position which would imply organized attacks and that the playmaker has the freedom to go deep, support or attack.

I'll be making these tactics in the classic mode due to liking that system more then the TC. The "Play Like Pep" was specifically designed to work with the TC for people who enjoy shouting and seeing the effects on the pitch. This however will be built with the philosophy in mind that 4x3x3 is Mourinho's more attacking tactic (with 4-2-4 being a All out attack) and 4x4x2 being a more controlling formation (with two DMC's employed to shut up shop). However I can through the "roles" I'll be using -

Goalkeeper (Defend)

Full Backs (Attacking)

Central Defenders (Defending)

DMC (Possibly more Anchor Man role)

Central Midfielders (The two core roles will be a normal central midfielder on support and one playmaker. The third will most likely be a box to box)

Strikers (Both attacking. One being more complete the other just more standard.

When switching to the 433 you'd have two attacking wingers coming into the formation and one striker and the box to box midfielder come out. However that means two attacking roles come in and one supporting and attacking come out. That's where the Deco role comes into focus. We already know that Mourinho gives him more freedom in the 442 so in the 433 his role would be more supporting then attacking to compensate.

When it comes to testing I'm currently developing the tactic with Porto and then I'll give it a good test with a mid-table team but so far it looks good. I'm still tweaking the team instructions as they have to work in the 442 as they do in the 433. The mid Time-Wasting and normal high tempo is working better then I thought and it does seem players do sometimes keep posession for posession's sake to "rest". Of course it's not as perfect as IRL but it does keep fitness levels up during games. Also you'll see the team calm down after they go a goal up and not rush to get a second.

Great post Justified. Can I please ask a question. You will be releasing two tactics?

One a 442 and the other a 433? Or am I wrong?

That is correct. The aim is to create two tactics that are moulded in Mourinho way and can ultimately be used as a philosophy in which you can build your team around. The way i see it Mourinho's ultimate favourite is the 433 but you can only play that system if you have the right players for it (ultimately the wingers who have to be quick, quite creative and good crossers) so the 442 to was created firstly to be a little more defensively structured but was sometimes used to either a)combat injuries to wide players or b) more suited to the team if they didn't have good wingers.

That is correct. The aim is to create two tactics that are moulded in Mourinho way and can ultimately be used as a philosophy in which you can build your team around. The way i see it Mourinho's ultimate favourite is the 433 but you can only play that system if you have the right players for it (ultimately the wingers who have to be quick, quite creative and good crossers) so the 442 to was created firstly to be a little more defensively structured but was sometimes used to either a)combat injuries to wide players or b) more suited to the team if they didn't have good wingers.

Awesome mate. Perfect explanation. When will this masterpiece be released? Are you releasing is based on its effectiveness, or rather because it just based on Mourinhos style of play? Basically, is it going to be very successful on Football Manager?

Awesome mate. Perfect explanation. When will this masterpiece be released? Are you releasing is based on its effectiveness, or rather because it just based on Mourinhos style of play? Basically, is it going to be very successful on Football Manager?

Good question. Going to do it in turns so the 442 will be released first because it is adaptable for most teams. When is a good question, I'm hoping I can put the finishing touches on the weekend as time during the week is rather limited. Hopefully before the crunch match between Liverpool and Tottenham on Sunday ;)

It's based on Mourinho's style (direct, less freedom, man marking, organised attacks with high pressing) an should be effective or least so far testing has showed the 442 to be better then I thought it would be and the 433 is going to have to be good to rival what I've seen so far, especially if you have a good playmaker he'll rip defences to shreds with his passing.

Ultimately it's the anti-Barcelona style. You're more likely to see odd goal victories but keep more clean sheets so it's less fluid for defensive stability but more organised attacks so again I say it's the yin to Barca's yang ;)

In testing so far yes it has been quite solid in defence. Porto's defence is quite good for the Portugese league so i shouldn't really conceed a lot anyway so my main focus will be the Champions League. As I mentioned, I'm only developing it with Porto and then testing later with a mid table team. Possibly from the Prem as I know the players better there.

Let's hope you can re-create possibly tylerbodes or even knaps 442 tactics in the 09 version. So far there hasn't been an extremely successful 442 which is usually a plug and play. Let's wait and see. Take your time mate in releasing :). We want it to be the perfect plug and play 442, even though I highly doubt the plug and play days are over Which is truly sad for the fan who just likes to have a successful save without the high stress of the ME.

Let's hope you can re-create possibly tylerbodes or even knaps 442 tactics in the 09 version. So far there hasn't been an extremely successful 442 which is usually a plug and play. Let's wait and see. Take your time mate in releasing :). We want it to be the perfect plug and play 442, even though I highly doubt the plug and play days are over Which is truly sad for the fan who just likes to have a successful save without the high stress of the ME.

It's not a flat 442 per say, it's got no wingers so in the middle should be more solid. I'm having a lot of success with the "shadow striker" as Mourinho calls it when playing 442. Basically it's a striker who's comfortable in the middle and flanks and looks for space everywhere. So it's like a Trequartista but one with defensive duties. Not sure if it's because the player in question is a FC but he does go searching for space down both flanks and also is inside moving around the moer fixed striker :)

Short Update:

Right, just finished the first season with Porto and keep in mind, they actually don't really have the players to get the 4-1-3-2 tactic to work solely. I only really have 6 central midfielders to fill 4 spots so when injuries hit the team really struggled. However this is how the season ended...

http://yfrog.com/5fportoleaguep

Also won one of the cups as well and lost the other final thanks to Fucile being sent off after an hour and the team couldn't handle extra time with one man less.

I just want to run another test in the Premiership to see how it holds up there but still 0.5 conceeded and more then 2.0 scoring averages are quite good.

Really looking forward to trying this one particularly with the amount of fixtures postponed today

Unfortunately I won't be able to get it out today. I have plans for this afternoon/evening which'll hinder me working on it and would rather finetune it a little more rather then releasing a halfmade tactic which'll put people off. I do have this planned in for tomorrow (I actually had to lie to my girlfriend about it which if anyone knows me I hate lieing to her but c'mon, this is FM ;) )

I'm testing it with Tottenham in the Premiership where I had to alter the squad a bit selling off a few players to get a couple more central midfielders in. I could of gone the easy way and chosen Chelsea but I rather choose Tottenham as they are a little more middle quality.

I've had to change the thinking a bit regarding mentality. I found Tottenham struggled a bit with the rigid mentalities so went a little more fluidly where one DC/MC's and one striker are now on the same mentality and the covering DC, GK and DMC are formed into the Nike defence and the fullbacks and the other striker are two notches higher then the team mentality. For one this'll keep a spine in the team in tact, make the fullbacks more attacking down the flanks and still keep one striker attacking.

So far it looks more stable, needs more testing but the teams attacking moves look deadlier now that the fullbacks occupy the flanks better rather then them being further back defending. With Porto I could get away with it possibly because the teams there were of poorer quality.

Nowadays, in games against chievo and siena mourinho used 4-2-3-1 formation

MCs-Viera and Zanetti

AMR/L- Ballotelli and Pandev

AMC-Sneider

FC-Milito

AND against Siena on saturday

MCs-Motta(def.) Stankovic(sup.)

AMR-Quaresma

AML-Pandev

AMC-Sneider ( scored twice )

FC-Milito

Sorry for english

Unfortunately I won't be able to get it out today. I have plans for this afternoon/evening which'll hinder me working on it and would rather finetune it a little more rather then releasing a halfmade tactic which'll put people off. I do have this planned in for tomorrow (I actually had to lie to my girlfriend about it which if anyone knows me I hate lieing to her but c'mon, this is FM ;) )

I'm testing it with Tottenham in the Premiership where I had to alter the squad a bit selling off a few players to get a couple more central midfielders in. I could of gone the easy way and chosen Chelsea but I rather choose Tottenham as they are a little more middle quality.

I've had to change the thinking a bit regarding mentality. I found Tottenham struggled a bit with the rigid mentalities so went a little more fluidly where one DC/MC's and one striker are now on the same mentality and the covering DC, GK and DMC are formed into the Nike defence and the fullbacks and the other striker are two notches higher then the team mentality. For one this'll keep a spine in the team in tact, make the fullbacks more attacking down the flanks and still keep one striker attacking.

So far it looks more stable, needs more testing but the teams attacking moves look deadlier now that the fullbacks occupy the flanks better rather then them being further back defending. With Porto I could get away with it possibly because the teams there were of poorer quality.

Yeah you have to be a lot more careful when in the EPL as there isn't many weak sides. Most games are hard games to play :(

Take your time with it Justified and get it right, this could be a cracking tactic! The results you got with Porto are very good, so if you can improve it through testing in the EPL all the better.

Steve

I actually agree. Justified, take heaps of time and test it heaps and heaps until its the best tactic possible ;)

Im afraid theres not one tactic on this forum with wingers, that has been tested properly apart from probably knaps, but even they are for more FM2009

Please justified, give us a brilliant tactic

Right I promised I would release a tactic and I must admit, I had no time to tweak over the weekend so I've decided to release the version I have so far. I'll release as a version 1 with the promise that a version 2 will come over the next couple of days when I have the time. The playmaker is the centre MC of the three for those wondering. As for the strikers the one on the right is meant to be the more complete and teh one on the left is the "shadow striker" who's given permission to roam the flanks as well as link up between midfield and attack.

http://www.filefront.com/15331665/Mourinho%204132%20V1.tac

Ok I have tried this tactic now for 6 games, in the first season with Lyon. The results are as follows:

Grenoble 0-1 Lyon (league)

Lyon 1-1 Chelsea (CL)

Lyon 0-0 Rennes (league)

Rubin 0-1 Lyon (CL)

Lyon 1-1 Bordeaux

Monaco 1-1 Lyon

So thats ~ 2 wins ~ 4 draws ~ 0 loses ~

I think it is pretty good, considering that I don't have the best midfield for this tactic. I'am creating over 20 chances a match, with between 5-10 clear cut chances, but just cannot score! I don't put this down to the tactic though, I think it has more to do with the ME to be honest. The amount of 1 on 1's that are missed is unreal when you watch the 3d match engine! So far the tactic has performed brilliantly away from home, as you can see I have won 2 out of 3 away matches.

I love this type of football so i'm going to keep using this tactic, and am really looking forward to your version 2 release Justified, keep up the good work ;)

Steve

Ok I have tried this tactic now for 6 games, in the first season with Lyon. The results are as follows:

Grenoble 0-1 Lyon (league)

Lyon 1-1 Chelsea (CL)

Lyon 0-0 Rennes (league)

Rubin 0-1 Lyon (CL)

Lyon 1-1 Bordeaux

Monaco 1-1 Lyon

So thats ~ 2 wins ~ 4 draws ~ 0 loses ~

I think it is pretty good, considering that I don't have the best midfield for this tactic. I'am creating over 20 chances a match, with between 5-10 clear cut chances, but just cannot score! I don't put this down to the tactic though, I think it has more to do with the ME to be honest. The amount of 1 on 1's that are missed is unreal when you watch the 3d match engine! So far the tactic has performed brilliantly away from home, as you can see I have won 2 out of 3 away matches.

I love this type of football so i'm going to keep using this tactic, and am really looking forward to your version 2 release Justified, keep up the good work ;)

Steve

I've noticed with strikers and this formation it seems to be a lot on form. Once they start scoring they do seem to go on runs of scoring. However the opposite can apply as well. What does help is dropping to the bench at times so you show them that they are not invaluable and they'll be more motivated next time. Either that or critisise in the press.

I'll work on version 2 tonight and see if I can get a release out tomorrow.

I've deleted it for you Justified, any more issues like that just PM me and i'll gladly remove them.

I do a simliar thing to what you talk about above with my strikers as well :)

Much appreciated :thup:

On the subject of the strikers whough what I find annoying is in the exact same system (4-1-3-2) which I encountered in Portugal testing with Porto, the AI strikers looked better and I'm a little unsure what the AI does to make them play with intent of finding space so well.

Defensively the tactic looks good, had no realy problems with actually keeping scores down it's more on the attacking side where I would like to see the goals coming more regularly and I'll be looking for that balance when I tweak this evening.

Archived