[FM10] Oldham Boro Tier 10 to Champions!

Chinny

Oldham Boro (Formally Oldham Town)

History

Oldham Dew F.C. was established in 1964 by George Dew, a local building contractor, as a works football team. Within a year of formation, manager Ken Hughes entered the club, as Oldham Town F.C. was officially formed. For the first two seasons, the club played amateur football with their home ground being at a local sports club. After two seasons in amateur play, the club moved to Saturday football in South East Lancashire League. The club gradually expanded and sought a higher level of competition, eventually moving into the Lancashire Combination League in 1981. Only one season was played in the league before moving to the Cheshire County League, which saw the formation of the North West Counties Football League.

In the 1986–86 season, Oldham Town Football Club was placed in Division 3 and quickly gained promotion to Division 2 before the resignation of Ken Hughes, as he became chairman of the club. Following Hughes's resignation, the club failed to win many honours as they would only win the Petit Cup and the Isle of Man Cup until the 1991–92. In 1991, the club started youth squads at Under-14 and Under-15 levels of competition—both of which gained quick success.

In October 2009 the club changed its name to Oldham Boro in an attempt to distance itself from long-standing chairman Hughes, who has been charged with sexual offences against children

Source: Wikipedia

This career uses Super Bladesman's excellent League system update

Initial Staff

Initial Team

Oldham Boro – North West Counties Division 1 (Tier 10) – 2009/10

Well with a media prediction of 13th and an initial board expectation of mid table I think the main aim of this season is to try and establish a good amateur squad for future years. Hopefully we will get a decent run going in the FA Vase to bring in some revenue.

Competition Reports

North West Counties Division One

League Table - Position Graph - ResultsSeason Summary

Although we managed to beat the media expectation of 13th I am still a little disappointed as we were making a serious challenge for the top spot at one point. A poor away form and a bad second half of the season saw off any hopes of promotion though.

Board expectation – Mid Table

Media Expectation - 13th

Result – 10th

FA Vase – a tough draw saw us take on Bedfont of the English Combined Counties Premier (Tier 9) and although we were 50-1 underdogs we put up a good fight but a51st minute goal caused by absolutely shocking corner defence was enough to see us leave the competition despite throwing everything forward and throwing away some really easy chances towards the end of the game.

Board expectation – 2nd Qual Round

Result - 2nd Qual Round

NW Counties Challenge Cup – Awful first game saw us losing heavily to AFC Liverpool

Board expectation – 2nd Round

Result - 1st Round

Manchester Premier Cup – Another bad draw saw us face Hyde of the BSN and we were very unlucky to go out to a 118th minute penalty having more than held our own against the team from four divisions up.

Board expectation – Learn from the experience

Result - 1st Round

NW Counties Division One Trophy – Managed tlo exceed board expectations for the first time this year by reaching the semi final stage facing an Ashton Town team we were firm favourites to beat at home. Unfortunately things didn’t go our way on the day.

Board expectation – Quarter Final

Result - Semi Final

Transfers

Staff Transfers – Brought in a entirely new Backroom Team.

Players InPlayers Out – Quite a lot of transfers both in and out. Difficult to keep hold of players as I can only offer them amateur contracts. Meaning they can be poached at anytime.

Final squad

Squad - Towards the end of the season I went on a massive buying spree and managed to pick up a lot of quality players for this level. As a result I got rid of a lot of the players that had been making up my first team for most of the season. I made the schoolboy error of forgetting to take a screenshot of the squad before I got rid of most of my old first team though :(

2009 Best Eleven

Key Player Profiles

Phil Wilson (M C) – Played well through the first half of the season and was a key member of my first team before being Poached by Eccleshill. He only managed to rack up 3 goals in his 20 games but each one was a scorcher from range.

Antonio Best (D L) – First choice left back for most of the season. One of only 2 longterm players to achieve and average rating of over 7.

Richard Doughty (ST) - Promising young striker, should be in the team for the next few seasons atleast.

Finances

Figures – Lost a little bit of money last season mainly due to poor cup performances.

Average Attendance = 160

Awards & Achievements

NWC D1 Manager of the Month   – November 2009
NWC D1 Player of the Month    – Richard Doughty (Feb 2010)
Fans Player of The Year       – Antonio Best

Top Flight and International

Season SummaryWorld Cup 2010 - African Cup of Nations 2010

Next Season

I think I’ve managed to strengthen my squad quite considerably so I am hoping to make a more serious stab at the title next season.

I was toying with the idea of playing down in the depths like this with my local team (Long Eaton Untied) and may still do so, so it'll be interesting to see how the football is down in Tier 10.

A steady start with Oldham Boro, good luck with this :thup:

Oldham Boro – North West Counties Division 1 (Tier 10) – 2010/11

Wow its hard work at this level. With teams just taking your players at the most inconvenient of times, I found it very hard to get any sort of momentum going this season.

Competition Reports

In two words.. Disappointing and Frustrating. It just seemed like nothing would go my way. At one point it looked like the board wouldn’t be offering me a new contract. Luckily though a good run of form late in the season saved me and they have offered me one more year to prove myself.

Board expectation – Respectable

Media Expectation - 9th

Result – 14th

FA Vase – Played well against Barking of Essex Senior (Tier 9) away from home to earn a replay but we were totally outclassed at home. I lost some key players in the weeks leading upto the tie and unfortunately I didnt have the depth of squad to cover.

Result - 2nd Qual Round

NW Counties Challenge Cup – Managed to do better than expected to reach the third round and even take St Helens (of the NW Counties Premier League - T9) to a replay before eventually losing.

Result - 3rd Round Replay

Manchester Premier Cup – Once again we drew Hyde in the first round, where once again we fought well before once again being beaten in extra time.

Result - 1st Round

NW Counties Division One Trophy – We managed to hold off a very dominant Chadderton side before conceding deep into injury time to see us leave the competition.

Result - 2nd Round

Transfers

Staff Transfers – No Staff Changes this season

Players - Seems like teams at this level teams just rotate players :)

Final squad

Squad

2010 Best Eleven - New inductees - Jake White, Mark Bloxham, Tom Carr, Sean Ferguson, Robbie Williams and Jason Willis.

Key Player Profiles

Jake White (M C) – Solid in midfield, creates chances regularly.

Luke Ballinger (ST) - Joined the team towards the end of the season but managed to score some vital goals.

Finances

Figures – Lost a few thousand again this time it was caused by falling attendances as the team struggled at the bottom of the league.

Average Attendance = 117 (-47 on last season)

Awards and Achievements

NWC D1 highest scoring league game  - 4-4 v Wigan RP and [url="http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/Chinny12345/misc_vWiganRP10.jpg"]what a game[/url] it was.
NWC D1 Player of the Month          – Will Bown (ST) April 2011
NWC D1 Manager of the Month         – April 2011
Fans Player of the Year             – Jake White (M C)

Season Summary

Next Season

Well my first season ended in poor form and that continued well into the majority of this season. Lets hope the good form I had at the end of this season does likewise.

Main aim is to reach the top 5 this season and to build a bigger squad so I am not so badly affected if one of my players decides to join a rival team.

Oldham Boro – North West Counties Division 1 (Tier 10) – 2011/12

What a season! Im not sure quite where it came from after last season but the team really started to gel perfectly. We pulled of a Double and were so close to actually pulling off a Quintuple! We started to become victims of our own success though towards the end of the season due to a very heavy schedule of 58 games in one season.

Competition Reports

Promotion! I nearly thought it wasn’t going to happen at one point. With 4 games left I needed only one win to secure the title. Having only lost 2 games all season I thought it would be in the bag. Life is however never that easy! I lost the first 2 games and went into the penultimate game against Cheadle needing the win to prevent a final day rerun of the NW Trophy final against AFC Blackpool where the winner would take the title. Despite dropping morale I managed to overcome Cheadle in a true nail biter.

Media Expectation - 13th

Result – 1st Promotion!

FA Vase – Ooh! So Close! Another amazing run of form saw us reach the Final but after such a long hard season I think most of my team were already planning their summer break. It took them well into the second half to wake up and by that point we were trailing by two goals. A late goal from Danny Warburton gave a glimmer of hope but it wasn’t to be. Slightly dissapointed to come this far and leave as runners up although I have no right to be.

Result - Runners Up

NW Counties Challenge Cup – Some unbelievable performances saw us reach the final against Stone Dominoes who gave us a very tough game. Unfortunately for them Guissepe Lacarve managed to score his first ever goal for us in extra time, winning us the cup!

Result - Winners!

Manchester Premier Cup – In keeping with the rest of the season an excellent performance saw us reach the semi final stage this year, even getting revenge on Hyde. Unfortunately even though we were in the forms of our lives we simply didn’t have the ability to see off Droylsden in the semi’s.

Result - Semi Final

NW Counties Division One Trophy – Brilliant until the finish. Managed to force our way to the final and we had one hand on the cup but just ran out of steam with 30 minutes to go as AFC Blackpool managed to turn the game around.

Result - Runners Up

Transfers

Staff Transfers – A Couple of staff members decided to try and further their careers elsewhere at the end of the season

Player Transfers - Not so much going on this season. The Key to success?

Final squad

Squad

2011 Best Eleven - New Inductees - Will Bown, Luke Ballinger, Ashley Burton, Ronnie Jones, Robbie Kember, Louis Loader and Barry Palmer.

Key Player Profiles

After a season of 58 games it is difficult to select just a few team members as key players. If I had to chose though my top 5 would be (in no particular order):

Jake White (M C) – Picked up the NW1 player of the season and was brilliant in midfield

Barry Palmer (D L) - Very rarely put a foot wrong all season.

Luke Ballinger (ST) - A player we definately missed when he moved.

Louis Loader (M C) - Scored some wonderful long range efforts.

Will Bown (ST) - NW1 Top Goalscorer. Scored the majority of his goals in the first half of the season and faded a little in the second half of the season after Luke Ballinger left the squad.

Finances

Figures – A wonderful season for the books. Winning the League, Winning one Cup, Coming Runners up in 2 cups and finishing in the semi's in the last all added up to quite a vast amount of cash for the club. We are now safetly out of debt!

Awards and Achievements

NWC D1 Manager of the Month   – October 2011, March 2012
NWC D1 Player of the month    – Will Bown (ST - Oct 11), Danny Warburton (ST – March 12)
NWC D1 record for points      - 65
NWC D1 Top Goalscorer         – Will Bown 14 Goals
NWC D1 Player of the Season   – Jake White
NWC D1 Manger of the Season 

Season SummaryAfrican Cup of Nations 2012 – Euro 2012

Career Update

Season    League                      Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10   NW Counties Division One    10th        None
2010/11   NW Counties Division One    14th        None
2011/12   NW Counties Division One    1st         Promotion, NW Counties Challenge Cup Winners, 
                                                 NW Counties D1 Trophy Runners Up, FA Vase Runners Up.

Next Season

Well we're into the NW Counties Premier (Vodkat League). I wouldn't normally be too optimistic. Although in our cup runs this season we managed to beat a lot of Tier 9 teams quite easily so I am looking out for a good showing in the upcoming season.

Archived