By Wednesday, Arsenal will be out both cups and only five points ahead of Chelsea in the league

bigguk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

completely different circumstances, Fergie wanted the season extended only for ManU, Wenger just wants a sensible, unbiased fixture list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, it just so happened that our back log kicked in slightly later. Let's see what happens if you get to the semis of the CL. The FA/EPL could have made the changes if they wanted to. Don't see why the last day of the season had to be set in stone.

My only proviso is that the last league games connected to relegation and the championship are played at the same time to avoid situations that have happened in the past.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with that Wicom, but the underlying issue is that there's just too many games.

I thought Italy had it about right for a top division until they expanded the league, but having to play 70 matches a season is a bit much, as some guys will have to do this year.

the semis wouldn't cause that much problems I don't think, the fixture list can cater for those. The potential problem is our unarranged game against Portsmouth but that will probably fit in near the end of the season, probably in the midweek between the last two matchdays.

there's also another free week where we could slip the Liverpool game in, that's too sensible for the PL though...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

I think the specific problem in this case is that Arsenal have had 2 matches moved forward by Sky - is that correct?

And for the record. I agree with Wenger.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

game against Newcastle is being televised yes, don't see why it had to be moved though icon_confused.gif

unless Newcastle were kicking up a fuss about playing their UEFA Cup game two days after ours, which is fair enough, it's the Liverpool game on the Friday which is getting in the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

Not really, it just so happened that our back log kicked in slightly later. Let's see what happens if you get to the semis of the CL. The FA/EPL _could_ have made the changes if they wanted to. Don't see why the last day of the season had to be set in stone.

My only proviso is that the last league games connected to relegation and the championship are played at the same time to avoid situations that have happened in the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were different circumstances, Man U asked for the season to be extended, and Wenger quite rightly pointed out that you couldnt change the rules to suit one club halfway through the season.

Arsenal have simply requested not to have to play 4 high profile games in 9 days and offered the Premier league alternate dates within the league calender, which they have simply refused.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

They were different circumstances, Man U asked for the season to be extended, and Wenger quite rightly pointed out that you couldnt change the rules to suit one club halfway through the season.

Arsenal have simply requested not to have to play 4 high profile games in 9 days and offered the Premier league alternate dates within the league calender, which they have simply refused.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't wanting the change dates of a pre-set Premiership schedule in order to alternate to ones more suitable for the club also a material change of the rules ?

Seem to remember Celtic complaining last year because their schedule was becoming crowded and the SFA should alter their games to give the club a better chance of European success.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xerxes T Billy:

Isn't wanting the change dates of a pre-set Premiership schedule in order to alternate to ones more suitable for the club also a material change of the rules ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

arranging the fixture list because of clashes with european/FA cup/Worthington Cup games happens all the time.

The game against Newcastle was moved for this very reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xerxes T Billy:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, because otherwise the premier leagues relationship with Sky would be unworkable icon_wink.gif

There isn't an EPL rule that says the league MUST be completed on X day is there. It's just as much part of the calendar as any other and therefore games could be moved. IIRC we asked for the situation to be investigated in good time for changes to be made.

what was Wenger sticking his nose into it for anyway? He'd just arrived from Japan, what did he know about English football? icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

pretty wives 'eh

what was Wenger sticking his nose into it for anyway? He'd just arrived from Japan, what did he know about English football? icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should have kept his mouth shut, firmly shut.

No doubt this is all part of a conspiracy against Arsenal which is deeply ingrained amongst those involved at all levels organising and running football icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nail.on.head icon_smile.gif

have a soda to celebrate icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patty the Phenom:

I much prefer the other _possibilty_ that by next Friday afternoon Arsenal will be looking forward to contesting a London derby in the FA Cup final. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sunderland isn't in London.

A couple of the games should be played after the last day of the season, it's happened before. Everything's done to suit Sky Television, they're ruining football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mookie:

I can envision me being 6 foot tall with a full head of hair<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean you're not already? there goes my fantasy icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mookie:

I can envision me being 6 foot tall with a full head of hair<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always had you down as a 5ft baldy.

Chelsea have been 'grinding out results' all season have they? I guess that'd explain how we're the second highest scorers in the league wouldn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

Fact is, as good as this Arsenal team is, Chelsea are still more than capable of 'grinding out' an away result against them, and their blind arrogance towards that could get them knocked out of the Champions League.

Although it most probably won't icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan Hollands:

Chelsea have been 'grinding out results' all season have they? I guess that'd explain how we're the second highest scorers in the league wouldn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

Fact is, as good as this Arsenal team is, Chelsea are still more than capable of 'grinding out' an away result against them, and their blind arrogance towards that could get them knocked out of the Champions League.

Although it most probably won't icon_mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon you've won more games when you haven't deserved it than any other team by some distance.

Blind arrogance... icon_biggrin.gif

bigguk I think deserves an apology from some of the people who critisized his "predictions".

If Chelsea beat spurs today (i dont actually know the score so dont read any spoilers into this...) then the gap will have been closed to 4 points and arsenal out of the cup.

Then with chelsea in confident mood, and arsenal's confidence dented who knows what could happen on tuesday.

Let's face it. Arsenal have won 3 times and drawn once this season. Two of the victories came from goalkeeping errors and they were dominated in the draw.

Anything could happen boys...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyM:

bigguk I think deserves an apology from some of the people who critisized his "predictions".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

let me think about that.

no.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyM:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

let me think about that.

no.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that because you dont like him and think he's a twat or because you still actually think he's made outrageous predictions?

I can see Arsenal losing two out of their next four league games too, they have been extremely lucky in recent times against Liverpool, its about time we got a result. Matches against Newcastle, Everton and Spurs aren't too easy for them either. Hopefully they go out of the champions league too icon14.gif

he has a history of these twattish threads, best not to encourage him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough...wasnt aware of that....

Had a feeling this thread might make a re-appearance if we won today icon_biggrin.gif

I still think it was a provocative set of predictions, borne primarily out of wishful thinking, and I'd be very surprised if bigguk's predicted outcome comes true tbh. After all, anyone can say <insert team here> could be <insert positive/negative situation here> by <insert date here>, and there was no real argument to back up why this could/would happen.

Having said that, how Arsenal bounce back from today will probably determine how many of the two 'big' trophies they win, or whether they finish up empty-handed. Several of the players looked very sluggish today (the whole midfield tbh), and it's at this point where you notice how small the Arsenal squad is in terms of quality, especially in midfield.

If they can use today's defeat to fire themselves up for Tuesday (and I think they will, Wenger will see to that), I can see them disposing of Chelsea relatively easily, but there's always the chance the players will let the loss play on their minds. If they go through in midweek, I can see them coming through the tricky Easter fixtures with a still-healthy lead, but a defeat to Chelsea could possibly cast several of the Wenger-boys' minds back to their collapse last year...

Gah, as much as I'd like to jinx them, they'll still cruise to the title and they'll give Madrid a good run for their money in the CL Semi :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

Dangerous Dave I would be you dad if the guy behind me did not have correct change<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jesus, if you are going to insult someone at least get it right ffs... if the guy in front of you did not have the correct change...

completely different circumstances, Fergie wanted the season extended only for ManU, Wenger just wants a sensible, unbiased fixture list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as usual you are talking complete and utter fupping bollocks wic... ferguson wanted the last day of the season moved back, not just for united...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

ferguson wanted the last day of the season moved back, not just for united...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the circumstances of the little clubs were uppermost in his mind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

ferguson wanted the last day of the season moved back, not just for united...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the circumstances of the little clubs were uppermost in his mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, just like Wenger was thinking of the Blackburn's and Portsmouth's of this world when he was complaining about the terrible fixture congestion his team's having to endure icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I'd like to remind everyone that this comes from the author of the much loved 'Thierry Henry is Not a World Class Player' thread icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'abolish the offside rule'-thread > the 'Thierry Henry is Not a World Class Player'-thread

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SI:

I'd like to remind everyone that this comes from the author of the much loved 'Thierry Henry is Not a World Class Player' thread icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'abolish the offside rule'-thread > the 'Thierry Henry is Not a World Class Player'-thread<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Let's make illegal for keepers to handle the ball" > *

Archived