The Manchester United Thread 2007/08 - Home of the Champions

Nick OGS20

Not an out and out United fan, but they are the only Premiership team I'd pay good money to watch. Always, always watch them when they are on the telly, probably down to the fact me old man is a big Man Utd fan.

Come On You Reds!

• Replies 28.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Warch:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

my pessimism has returned, reading that opening post and how good last season was. it cant get any better than that icon_frown.gif

Surely winning back to back titles and completely destroying Jose's "Legacy" something to look forward to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on, you're scouse aren't you? Isn't it YOUR YEAR this year icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warch:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

my pessimism has returned, reading that opening post and how good last season was. it cant get any better than that icon_frown.gif

Surely winning back to back titles and completely destroying Jose's "Legacy" something to look forward to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on, you're scouse aren't you? Isn't it YOUR YEAR this year icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's always our sodding year apparently! icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by feedthegoat:

Not an out and out United fan, but they are the only Premiership team I'd pay good money to watch. Always, always watch them when they are on the telly, probably down to the fact me old man is a big Man Utd fan.

Come On You Reds!

Such a great name aswell icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by feedthegoat:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Mourinho accuses us of trying to buy the title icon_biggrin.gif

Pot. Kettle. Black anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Racist.

Spurs convinced Liverpool, Man Utd want Defoe

tribalfooball.com - June 14, 2007

Tottenham are convinced they can cash in on Jermain Defoe this summer.

The Mirror says Spurs will put the squeeze on Defoe by offering the England striker a new three-year contract - and listen to offers if he does not sign.

Defoe, 24, will be offered £30,000 per week - a 22 per cent increase on his current terms under boss Martin Jol.

Tottenham will be prepared to let him go this summer so they can get at least £12million for his services - and they believe Manchester United and Liverpool would both be bidders.

Another one for the list if he isn't already on it?

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Is Conor Devlin defintly part of the U18 squad?

I thought Gill was leaving/has left?

Devlin will probably play predominantly for the u16's, but Amos is out injured until late August at the earliest so i'd expect Devlin to be part of the squad at least for the first few weeks. Amos might step up to the reserves occasionally as well so Devlin will get a few chances i think.

as for Gill, nothing's been confirmed but from what I've heard he might stay with us without actually being on a scholarship, and then both parties will re-assess the situation in due course. still waiting for confirmation of that though.

Just watched the vids in the first post. James looks so old and middle class when drowning BBB in champagne and yet so much like a hooligan when hes wearing those hats in the second.

And do i get the honour of being the only regular posted not mentioned at all in that second video?

Glazer protesters 'were right'

Stuart Brennan - 11/ 6/2007

I'LL bet those United fans who protested about the Glazer takeover feel really stupid now.

How many times have you heard that said over the past fortnight?

Actually, those United fans who protested long and hard about the occupation of their club feel more justified than ever that they were right to stand up to what amounts to an insidious threat not just to Manchester United, but to English football, and even European football, in particular.

The fact that United have just won the Premiership in thrilling style, have splashed out on three players who could boost them from top English team to a European super-power once more, and continue to play in front of packed houses, is irrelevant.

The argument was never about that.

If you truly think that the Glazer takeover was a good thing, try asking the people who can no longer afford to go and watch their beloved team, on top of 12 per cent price increases in 2006, 14 per cent price increases in 2007, and the introduction of the compulsory automatic cup ticket scheme.

And then consider where this is leading. Talk to people in the Glazer camp and one thing becomes crystal clear - the economic cleansing of Old Trafford is not yet over.

There will be more price increases, more ways of screwing every last penny out of the support, until there is a threat of empty seats. Then the Glazer family will either ease off or cut and run.

United's response is that ticket prices still represent good value for money, and that there is a 14,000-strong waiting list for season tickets.

That last point is a sickening reminder of where United fans now stand. If you don't like it, clear off because we will find someone else to take your place.

United are no longer interested in their traditional fan base. Your average Joe from Stretford turns up at five to three, cheers on the team and then goes home for his tea and a couple of pints in his local boozer. All you get out of that particular economic unit is the price of his ticket.

But if you can get rid of him, and replace him with an economic unit called Henry from Surrey, the club also gets money from his Megastore shopping spree, dining at Red Cafe, museum visit, hotel stay and so on.

Shackles

It makes perfect business sense in the short term, get rid of the old fans, bring in McFans.

And if, or when, the football boom starts to grind to a halt as the yuppies find a new craze, it is the traditional support to whom United will turn, to find that they have discovered the joys of FC United, bird- watching, or DIY on a Saturday afternoon.

When the battle raged over the rights and wrongs of the takeover two years ago, the pro-Glazer lobby said that the family would bring a wealth of business nous, a pedigree of sporting success with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and would free the club from the shackles of reporting its every move to the Stock Exchange.

Those people are now smugly pronouncing themselves right, but that was never the issue.

The title success this season was achieved despite the Glazers, not because of them. It was entirely down to the genius of Sir Alex Ferguson and the enduring quality of the likes of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

And the money that has been splashed on Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves is not the Glazers' money. They have not put a penny into Manchester United - the money the club has been spending has been from its support, is a result of last year's windfalls from the sales of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Jon Obi Mikel, and from the unexpected bonanza from the sale of overseas TV rights.

What the Glazers have done is take £44m OUT of the club, to pay some of the interest on the debts they incurred to buy United. That money could have been used to peg back prices.

It is curious that at a time which should have been one of great exhilaration for United fans, and then bringing in interesting new players, the internet was full of cries of anguish.

I wrote an article two years ago which claimed that the Glazer era might just coincide with a new era of trophy success, but that many of the club's traditional support would be left with their noses pressed against the window, watching the party going on in what used to be their house.

This is not a `told-you-so' but a warning - the situation will continue to get worse.

What do you think of the Glazer takeover now? Have your say.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/m...ters_were_right.html

Originally posted by gonch19:

tickled pink by liverpool's new yankee owners saying they can't possibly take any credit for the club's 'success' last season, accrediting moores, parry et al for that 'success' :*)

They are great arent they. I love the comment about not spending like a drunken sailor.

Originally posted by T!mbo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

fran get a new leeds thread going. i dont want to deprive you of the honours

Having to advertise it in this thread \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought it was extremely appropriate \o/ icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Just watched the vids in the first post. James looks so old and middle class when drowning BBB in champagne and yet so much like a hooligan when hes wearing those hats in the second.

And do i get the honour of being the only regular posted not mentioned at all in that second video?

Mika isn't mentioned (did he make it?). Jonny (Coldberg) isn't, and he's in several of the photographs at the end icon_biggrin.gif

United Predictions 07/08

Where will we finish in the Premiership?

How far will we get in the CL?

How far will we get in the FA Cup?

Which lower league side will we be knocked out by in the Carling Cup?

How many games will we lose in the league?

Who will be our top scorer?

Who will be our top assist maker?

Percentage of games Louis Saha spends on the treatment table?

Who will be our manager this time next year?

How many positions will John O'Shea play in?

Which United thread members will have left or been banned by this time next year?

Feel free to add more.

Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Mika isn't mentioned (did he make it?). Jonny (Coldberg) isn't, and he's in several of the photographs at the end icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did icon_cool.gif

And it was Jonny's birthday the day I made it, plus I didn't have a good individual shot of him so I spared him.

United Predictions 07/08

Where will we finish in the Premiership?: 2nd

How far will we get in the CL?: winners

How far will we get in the FA Cup?: runners-up

Which lower league side will we be knocked out by in the Carling Cup?: Scunthorpe

How many games will we lose in the league?: 4

Who will be our top scorer?: Klaas Jan Huntelaar

Who will be our top assist maker?: Cristiano Ronaldo

Percentage of games Louis Saha spends on the treatment table?: 97%

Who will be our manager this time next year?: SAF

How many positions will John O'Shea play in?: 12

Which United thread members will have left or been banned by this time next year?: BBB (will have been converted by his scouse woman to a fully-fledged bindipper)

Feel free to add more.

And I got told you were going to fobb me off to the new Lyon thread icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

article on Nani from the telegraph, interesting in that everyone on here seems to be saying he's been poor so far and yet Winter's clearly seen something there.

In the game against belgium he was marked out of the game.

I saw several times as soon as he had the ball he had 3 players immediately. Even then there were glimpses of his talent.

He has serious potential. And I think we may see a different situation when sides have to choose from Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs or Nani to man mark out of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most teams will be able to write off at least one Welshman in that conundrum.

Right, cup dates:

Champions League Dates:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

18-19 September 2007 Group stage, 1st matchday

2-3 October 2007 Group stage, 2nd matchday

23-24 October 2007 Group stage, 3rd matchday

6-7 November 2007 Group stage, 4th matchday

27-28 November 2007 Group stage, 5th matchday

11-12 December 2007 Group stage, 6th matchday

21 December 2007 Draw for First knockout round

19-20 February 2008 Knockout round, 1st leg

4-5 March 2008 Knockout round, 2nd leg

7 March 2008 Draw for remaining rounds

1-2 April 2008 Quarter-finals, 1st leg

8-9 April 2008 Quarter-finals, 2nd leg

22-23 April 2008 Semi-finals, 1st leg

29-30 April 2008 Semi-finals, 2nd leg

21 May 2008 Final</pre>

so our league opponents around that:

matchday 1: before = Everton (a), after = Chelsea (h)

matchday 2: before = Birmingham (a), after = Wigan (h)

matchday 3: before = Villa (a), after = Boro (h)

matchday 4: before = Arsenal (a), after = Blackburn (h)

matchday 5: before = Bolton (a), after = Fulham (h)

matchday 6: before = Derby (h), after = Liverpool (a)

so five home games after CL matchdays which we can't really complain about. with any luck we might not arse about and instead actually bother qualifying before the last one so there's not too much riding on it before the trip to Anfield. not going to look in detail at the knockout stages for fear of tempting fate but worth noting that any potential semi-final would see both legs sandwich the trip to Stamford Bridge.

fwiw, the domestic cup dates:

FA Cup Dates

Third Round Proper Saturday 5th January 2008

Fourth Round Proper Saturday 26th January 2008

Fifth Round Proper Saturday 16th February 2008

Sixth Round Proper Saturday 8th March 2008

Semi-Finals Sat 5th/Sun 6th April 2008

Final Saturday 17th May 2008</pre>

progress to the semis would mean home games with Bolton and Middlesbrough being rescheduled.

Carling Cup Dates 2007/08

Round 3: Week commencing 24th September

Round 4: Week commencing 29th October

Round 5: Week commencing 3rd December

Semi-Final, 1st Leg: Week commencing 7th January 08

Semi-Final, 2nd Leg: Week commencing 21st January 08

Final: Sunday 24th February 08</pre>

progress to the final would see the away game at Newcastle rescheduled.

United Predictions 07/08

Where will we finish in the Premiership? 2nd

How far will we get in the CL? Semi Final

How far will we get in the FA Cup? Winners

Which lower league side will we be knocked out by in the Carling Cup? Winners

How many games will we lose in the league? 5

Who will be our top scorer? Rooney

Who will be our top assist maker? Ronaldo

Percentage of games Louis Saha spends on the treatment table? 75%

Who will be our manager this time next year? Fergie

How many positions will John O'Shea play in? 4

Which United thread members will have left or been banned by this time next year? No Idea

Archived