"Come on you Whites!"- Bolton Wanderers thread

ypresfr

logo_bolton.gif

Brief History

Founder members of the Football League, Bolton were a successful cup side in the 1920s, winning the FA Cup three times. The club won the cup a fourth time in 1958 thanks to a Nat Lofthouse goal. A leaner spell followed, reaching a peak in 1987 when the club spent a season in the Fourth Division. The club regained top-flight status in 1995 after a 15 year absence; their current spell in the top division started in 2001. In 2005–06 they participated in European competition for the first time, reaching the last 32 of the UEFA Cup. Bolton qualified for the 2007–08 tournament by finishing 7th in the 2006–07 Premier League. Bolton Wanderers moved to the Reebok Stadium in 1997.

Overview

Year Founded: 1874 (as Christ Church FC)

Stadium: Reebok Stadium, Horwich

Capacity: 28,723

Nicknames: The Wanderers, The Whites, The Trotters

Shirt Sponsors: Reebok

Chairman: Phil Gartside

Manager: Sammy Lee (on the game)

Gary Megson (in real life)

League: English Premier League

06/07 position: 7th

Continental competition: EURO (UEFA) Cup

Transfer budget: Approx. £2.6 million, depending on predicted finishing position

Wage budget: Approx. 600k/p.w. (376k/p.w. used)

Record signing: Nicolas Anelka (£8 million from Fenerbache)

Record sale: Jason McAteer (£ 4.5 million to Liverpool)

Notable Former Players

Joe Smith (1908)

Ted Vizard (1910s)

Alec Finney (1920s)

David Jack (1920s)

Nat Lofthouse (1940s)

Ray Parry, Roy Hartle, Eddie Hopkinson (1950s)

Francis Lee, Roy Greaves (1960s)

Peter Reid, Frank Worthington (1970s)

Brian Kidd, Steve Thompson, Julian Darby (1980s)

Alan Stubbs, Andy Walker, Jason McAteer, John McGinlay, Owen Coyle, Gudni Bergsson, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Claus Jensen, Michael Johansen (1990s)

Michael Ricketts, Bruno N'Gotty, Youri Djorkaeff, Jay-Jay Okkocha, Fernando Hierro, Ivan Campo, Nicolas Anelka, El-Hadji Diouf, Jussi Jaaskelainen (2000s)

Notable Former Managers

Charles Foweraker

Bill Ridding

Bruce Rioch

Colin Todd

"Big" Sam Allardyce

First Team Squad

2 DF Nicky Hunt

3 DF Jlloyd Samuel

4 MF Kevin Nolan (captain)

5 DF Abdoulaye Méïté

6 MF Gary Speed (vice-captain)

7 MF Stelios Giannakopoulos

8 MF Iván Campo

9 FW Heiðar Helguson

10 MF Christian Wilhelmsson (on loan from Nantes)

11 DF Ricardo Gardner

12 GK Ian Walker

14 FW Kevin Davies

15 DF Gérald Cid

16 MF Andranik Teymourian

17 MF Danny Guthrie (on loan from Liverpool)

18 MF Mikel Alonso (on loan from Real Sociedad)

19 MF Gavin McCann

20 FW Ricardo Vaz Té

21 FW El-Hadji Diouf

22 GK Jussi Jääskeläinen

23 MF Blerim Džemaili

24 MF Joey O'Brien

26 GK Ali Al Habsi

27 FW Daniel Braaten

28 DF Ľubomír Michalík

29 FW Zoltán Harsányi

31 DF Andy O'Brien

37 FW James Sinclair

38 MF Robert Sissons

39 FW Nicolas Anelka

43 DF Nathan Woolfe

46 MF Scott Jamieson

Key Players

4 Kevin Nolan (Captain)

8 Ivan Campo

14 Kevin Davies

21 El-Hadji Diouf

22 Jussi Jaaskelainen

39 Nicolas Anelka

Analysis

Despite having a greater number of English players than in previous years, Bolton Wanderers is still a very varied club in terms of culture and nationalities. Asians such as Andranik Teymorian, Africans such as El-Hadji Diouf and Abdoulaye Meite and the Jamaican Ricardo Gardner add an unique and distinct flair to the squad.

In the recent past, Bolton have had a meteoric rise and are now one of the recognized powers in England due to their participation in the UEFA Cup. Purchases, particularly by Sam Allardyce, such as Jay Jay Okocha, Ivan Campo and Youri Djorkaeff have excited the fans and contributed greatly to this rise to recognition but core academy products such as Nicky Hunt, Kevin Nolan and Joey O'Brien and the purchase of Kevin Davies built strong foundations on which the foreigners could build.

This season did not start well for Bolton under the guidance of Sammy Lee, the replacemant for Sam Allardyce, who left for Newcastle the previous season. The first match of the season saw Lee's men lose 3-1 to Sam Allardyce's Newcastle and the Whites did not pick up their first win until they beat Reading 3-0 at home with goals from Anelka, Gary Speed and Daniel Braaten. Another lean spell followed, causing the sacking of Sammy Lee. Gary Megason was then appointed and an immediate upturn happened. At the time of writing, Bolton had lost to only Liverpool and Manchester City in the league, and wins included a memorable game against Manchester United at home, when Nicolas Anelka scored the only goal to give the side from BL6 the win over their local rivals. This capped a memorable start to the season which left him in the upper echelons of the Premiership goalscoring charts.

The European adventure continued with some aplomb this year. Unbeaten in this years competition, with memorable results including a 2-2 draw away to Bayern Munich with goals from Ricardo Gardner and Kevin Davies in reply to two Lukas Podolski strikes. Additionally, Wanderers became the first team to win in Belgrade against Red Star, wih Gavin McCann scoring the only goal. Bolton are very likely to progress to the knockout stage, no mean feat for a club plying their trade in the old Fourth Division only 20 years ago...

The current squad has decent depth with a few cracks in the starting line-up. First on the list is definitely a fast central midfielder with back-up for central defenders and wingers also high on the priority list. Loan signings have bolstered the squad but take these out and quality seems abit thin on the ground.

So, will you replicate the success of Sam Allardyce and lead Wanderers into Europe again?

Can you banish all pretence of long ball tactics and get Bolton playing beautiful football?

Can you get the best out of Anelka and Diouf?

Can you win Bolton a cup competition to restore those glorious final memories?

Take the Bolton challenge to find out and remember to keep me updated via this thread!

Don't hesitate to ask about to ask me about tactics or signings.

And lastly "Come on you White Men"!!!

Above information sourced from Wikipedia or the BWFC website

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll kick us off. I'm in January of the first year (I'm quite slow)! icon_wink.gif

Here's what I've done on the budget:

PLAYERS IN

Harry Kewell- Liverpool (Loan)

Diego Capel- Sevilla (Loan)

Thomas Mangani- Monaco (£1.2 million)

Alexandre Song- Arsenal (Loan)

Arouna Koné- Sevilla (Loan)

PLAYERS OUT

Heidar Helguson- £900,000

Stelios- £1.5 million

Ricardo Vaz Té- Loan

Zoltan Harsanyi- Loan

Ian Walker £150,000

FUTURE

Simon Rolfes- Leverkusen (Free)

Tim Wiese- Bremen (Free)

Tomas Ujfalusi- Fiorentina (Free) (Pending...)

Christian Wilhelmsson- Nantes (£2.1 million)

LINE-UP

Jaaskelainen

Hunt Meite O'Brien Gardner

McCann

Nolan Song Diouf Kewell

Anelka

ANALYSIS

Position: 9th

Best result: Bolton 2 Liverpool 1

Worst result: Aston Villa 4 Bolton 1

Playing the loan card strongly, I have gained decent back up, and have especialy strengthened the wing positions. Kewell has been excellent but he is a touch expensive at £3.5 million and Wilhelmsson is a good alternative, using the agreed price as part of his loan deal. Having sent Vaz Té and Harsanyi on loan, I brought in Koné for extra speed if Anelka gets injured. He's played 6 games (2 in cup) and scored 4, a good return. Unlikely to sign him permanently unless I get into Europe and get more cash. Mangani is nothing to write home about, illustrated by the fact that O'Brien is still ahead in the defence. Some good future transfers, I tend to go for more established players rather than youth as I cannot bleed them to their full potential.

Ah yes, Europe, forgot about that.

I got knocked out in the first knockout round to Bayer Leverkusen 4-3 on aggregate. Was winning 2-0 going into away leg but thrashed 4-1 at the Bay Arena. Never mind... at least I can concentrate on the prem now.

DaGringoKilla: How do you get the best out of Andranik? He doesn't seem to work for me even though I have given him a couple of chances.

Thanks Ypresfr for the inspiration to start a Bolton game, Havnt played Bolton FM06

January 1St 2008

Transfer's Out

Diouf - West Ham $7.5M

Al-Habsi - Carlisle - $300k

Transfer's In

McCarthy - Hamilton - $120K

Defour - Standard - $3.6M

Torjie - Poli 1921 - $1.5M

Evans - Man Utd - Loan

Spiranovic - Nurnberg - $2M

Still trying to offload, Campo, O'Brein, Helguson, McCann & Just had a $1M offer for Cid, which I have accepted.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Chelsea | | 21 | 15 | 4 | 2 | 33 | 7 | +26 | 49 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Bolton | | 20 | 13 | 6 | 1 | 33 | 13 | +20 | 45 |

| 3rd | | Man Utd | | 21 | 12 | 6 | 3 | 32 | 13 | +19 | 42 |

| 4th | | Portsmouth | | 21 | 11 | 4 | 6 | 24 | 20 | +4 | 37 |

| 5th | | Man City | | 21 | 10 | 5 | 6 | 31 | 23 | +8 | 35 |

| 6th | | Blackburn | | 21 | 9 | 6 | 6 | 29 | 23 | +6 | 33 |

| 7th | | Liverpool | | 21 | 9 | 6 | 6 | 17 | 13 | +4 | 33 |

| 8th | | Arsenal | | 21 | 9 | 5 | 7 | 32 | 24 | +8 | 32 |

| 9th | | Reading | | 21 | 8 | 5 | 8 | 32 | 30 | +2 | 29 |

| 10th | | Everton | | 20 | 7 | 7 | 6 | 24 | 21 | +3 | 28 |

| 11th | | Newcastle | | 21 | 8 | 3 | 10 | 31 | 35 | -4 | 27 |

| 12th | | Derby | | 21 | 7 | 5 | 9 | 21 | 22 | -1 | 26 |

| 13th | | Aston Villa | | 21 | 7 | 5 | 9 | 21 | 27 | -6 | 26 |

| 14th | | Fulham | | 21 | 6 | 5 | 10 | 22 | 24 | -2 | 23 |

| 15th | | Tottenham | | 21 | 5 | 8 | 8 | 22 | 26 | -4 | 23 |

| 16th | | Wigan | | 21 | 5 | 7 | 9 | 13 | 23 | -10 | 22 |

| 17th | | Middlesbrough | | 21 | 4 | 9 | 8 | 17 | 30 | -13 | 21 |

| 18th | | West Ham | | 21 | 3 | 7 | 11 | 13 | 26 | -13 | 16 |

| 19th | | Birmingham | | 21 | 2 | 7 | 12 | 14 | 34 | -20 | 13 |

| 20th | | Sunderland | | 21 | 2 | 4 | 15 | 16 | 43 | -27 | 10 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

Now looking to pick up some free players Bolton Style on a bosman.

Wow! You're second. I've just finished my season in 8th, which I was pretty pleased with, don't usually get up to your level until 3rd or 4th season. What's your secret to only losing one ao far? Perhaps show your tactic and starting line-up.

Good to see you're recapturing the Allardyce spirit by using Bosmans to their full effect!

Iam playing a compact 4411 away, with a deep D line, and narrow formation, only normal on mentality always.

GK -Jaaskelainen

DR - Hunt/O'Brien

DL Samuel/Gardner

DC Meite/Spiranovic

DC Michalik/Spiranovic

MR Wihelmsson/Torje/Giannakopoulos

ML Gardner/ Vaz Te

MC Andranik

MC Defour/O'Brien

AMC Nolan/ Giannakopoulos

FC Anelka/Davies/ Vaz Te

The tactic is pretty tight as far as goals go? If a grab the lead, depending on if iam dominating possesion, I will either shut up shop or atleast reduce my mentality. The last 10 mins I when the opposition usually goes a 424, I change a few things which help me defend really well.

Hey Ypresfr, I have emailed you the tactic as your email address in your profile.

Andranik, as been solid, but not outstanding 24(10) 2 goals av R 6.88. If you sell him you may get between $2.5M and $3.5, as his value is $4.2M on my game. I wont be able to pick up anyone better for that price?? so I will keep him for now, I am trying to get him to use his long shots as his rating is 16 and finishing is 14, but no luck yet.

Dirty Joe: you're a genius.

Played at the Reebok against Portsmouth (wet of course!) which I was not favourite for but I used your tactics and won 3-1! Scorers were Nolan, Michalik and Anelka. Used Michalik as the 'scoring' defender as Meite and O'Brien were injured. Winning 2-1 at 60 minute point and used your 'shut out' tactic. It worked, and Anelka got a goal on the break!

Now in 4th but still early days with 6 games gone.

Next game is a real test: away at Everton who are really solid at home. Surely your tactic can't work again...

PS. In the future should I keep you updated by e-mail or via this forum?

Use the forum mate, easy to chat etc, and someone else may have some input.

5 games left in my game, currently sitting 3rd now, 12pts ahead of Portsmouth and 8 behind Chelsea & Man U, I dont think I can challenge, just lost 1 nil away to Chelsea, so Looking to grab a Champions League spot.

Have you managed to resign Jaaskelainen or Garnder?? Gardner wants $50k per week, so I going to have to let him go at the age of 29, not worth it.

Will use the forum as like you said someone else can join the discussion.

Yeah, I signed on Jaaskelainen as I wont be able to get anyone better. I have Wiese as back-up but have sold Walker and Al-Habsi. I agree with you on Gardner (got £2 million from Getafe for him) and will look for a new DL in January instead of Samuel who is steady but not spectacular. Will also try to sell Helguson in January and get that Bogdan Stancu everyone raves about. Also may need more backup in the MC department. See what you think...

Drew with Everton 1-1 (Rolfes) which is a good result against a solid team.

Current line up:

GK- Jaaskelainen/Wiese

DR- Ujfalusi/Hunt

DC- Meite/Michalik

DC- O'Brien/Sidnei

DL- Samuel/Cid

MR- Wilhelmsson/Stelios

ML- Diouf/D.Capel (Loan again)

MC- Rolfes/Andranik

MC- Nolan

AMC- Celsinho

FC- Anelka/Davies

Are you in season 2??

Try and get Sidwell from Chelsea, he becomes a great midfield player and would fit into the Bolton Style?? Stancu would be a great signing as a rotation player for Anelka...

I am now scouting for a pacey left winger, and re - training Vaz Te to that position as well, so see how that goes.

Yeah, 8 games into season 2 with a 1-0 win at home over Birmingham. Not a brilliant performance but 3 points is 3 points.

Have scouted Sidwell and scout reckons he would be a great asset. He reckons about £3 million. Should I go for it or is it a rip off? Is a loan a better option? Have also been looking at DLs and Carlinhos and Guillherme look okay if I can get a work permit. Have also looked at Armand Troare on loan but he doesn't want to come. What do you reckon? Should I stick with Samuel or go for someone else, any recommendations?

Will get Stancu as he is still with Ur... that Romanian team he starts the game with so he should be cheap.

Think I will buy him as funds are okay ($6 million). For DL what about Paul Robinson from West Brom who is unhappy and transfer listed. Another Romanian is Stefan Radu from Dinamo Bucharest. His best position is DC but he is accomplished at DL. Don't know about your game but on mine he has 17 strength, 16 jumping and 15 bravery.

Okay, just finished season 2007/2008 in third spot, a great finish for Bolton -

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | ECC | Man Utd | | 38 | 27 | 8 | 3 | 71 | 21 | +50 | 89 |

| 2nd | ECC | Chelsea | | 38 | 24 | 8 | 6 | 51 | 17 | +34 | 80 |

| 3rd | ECC | Bolton | | 38 | 21 | 12 | 5 | 60 | 30 | +30 | 75 |

| 4th | | Arsenal | | 38 | 18 | 9 | 11 | 59 | 39 | +20 | 63 |

| 5th | | Man City | | 38 | 17 | 12 | 9 | 51 | 36 | +15 | 63 |

| 6th | | Portsmouth | | 38 | 18 | 7 | 13 | 45 | 40 | +5 | 61 |

| 7th | | Newcastle | | 38 | 16 | 8 | 14 | 62 | 56 | +6 | 56 |

| 8th | | Aston Villa | | 38 | 15 | 11 | 12 | 42 | 43 | -1 | 56 |

| 9th | | Everton | | 38 | 14 | 13 | 11 | 48 | 38 | +10 | 55 |

| 10th | | Liverpool | | 38 | 15 | 10 | 13 | 35 | 33 | +2 | 55 |

| 11th | | Fulham | | 38 | 14 | 8 | 16 | 43 | 45 | -2 | 50 |

| 12th | | Blackburn | | 38 | 13 | 8 | 17 | 47 | 48 | -1 | 47 |

| 13th | | Tottenham | | 38 | 12 | 11 | 15 | 42 | 50 | -8 | 47 |

| 14th | | Reading | | 38 | 11 | 11 | 16 | 51 | 60 | -9 | 44 |

| 15th | | Middlesbrough | | 38 | 10 | 12 | 16 | 34 | 56 | -22 | 42 |

| 16th | EC | Derby | | 38 | 8 | 14 | 16 | 33 | 44 | -11 | 38 |

| 17th | | West Ham | | 38 | 7 | 13 | 18 | 26 | 47 | -21 | 34 |

| 18th | R | Wigan | | 38 | 8 | 10 | 20 | 28 | 50 | -22 | 34 |

| 19th | R | Birmingham | | 38 | 5 | 10 | 23 | 26 | 62 | -36 | 25 |

| 20th | R | Sunderland | | 38 | 6 | 7 | 25 | 36 | 75 | -39 | 25 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

Bolton Free Transfers In -

Jeremi Brechet - Sochaux - DC - Free

Erik Edman - Rennais - DL - Free Will be first choice Left Back.

Jorge - Celta - AMC - Free, will rotate through midfield with Defour & Nolan.

I have had to match Newcastle's bid of $2.6M for Sidwell, which i didnt want to do just jet, which means O'Brien may have to be sold or loaned out, not sure yet.

Player Stats

Anelka Won the league top scorer with 27, followed by Martins with 26.

Assists, Defour finsihed second on 12, behind Ronaldo 15.

Pass completion Andranik finished second on 88% ebhind Essien 89%, with Defour on 85%, which indicates that he is pretty immportant to my side.

Team Stats

Goals from corners we finished top on 8 equal with Man Utd

Goals from DFKs we also finsihed top with 4

Penalties finsihed 5th on 5 penalties

I good season, when you compare the stats were up there with the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd who won the league.

Meite had the league's highest rating at 7.53, in front of Ronaldo at 7.50

Originally posted by ypresfr:

Think I will buy him as funds are okay ($6 million). For DL what about Paul Robinson from West Brom who is unhappy and transfer listed. Another Romanian is Stefan Radu from Dinamo Bucharest. His best position is DC but he is accomplished at DL. Don't know about your game but on mine he has 17 strength, 16 jumping and 15 bravery.

Paul Robinson is 29 but if you can get him cheap around $1-2M would be good value. Try Warnock from Blackburn, he is quality, and if Blackburn have got relagate, you could pick him up for under $6M that would be a good bit of business.

Brilliant! Wish Bolton were that good irl! Had Edman before and he was good but not for me this time. Now I have a settled tactic I can get through games faster so we have now played 12, won 6, drawn 3, lost 3 and we are in 5th, 2 points of a Champions League spot. Here's the plan for the January transfer window...

Sell: DC- A.O'Brien (Boro interested) and Michalik

FC- Helguson

MC- Andranik

Buy: DL- Paul Robinson

DC- Matthew Spiranovic (guess where I got that idea from icon_wink.gif)

MC- Steve Sidwell + Daniel Jensen (Loan)

AMC- Augusto Fernandez

FC- Bogdan Stancu

Depending on how much I get for selling players.

QUOTE]

Have you signed him? I scouted him during my Blacburn game, but ended up paying $6M for him then and he was good. A good back up, can play in the midfield as well.

Have you got Stancu yet??

"Law Man" have you started a Bolton game yet?

Hey!!

I have got Scott Sinclair on loan as back-up for Anelka but Davies has got injured again for 5 months!! I now am playing Sincliar and Anelka togther. I am trying to get Anelka to drop deep with Sinclair playing on the last man, the thing is Anelka wont drop deep!! Any ideas on how to do this??

Dirty Joe: been quite lucky with my January signings...

IN

DL- Paul Robinson- $1.4 million

DC- Matthew Spiranovic- $3.5 million (looks like I got lucky)+ Roland Juhasz- $1.4 million

MC- Steve Sidwell- £3 million

AMC- Guiliano Giacomazzi- Loan

FC- Bogdan Stancu- $1.6 million

OUT

DC- Andy O'Brien- $3.5 million

DC- Lubo Michalik- $2.5 million

MC- Andranik- $3 million

FC- Heidar Helguson $1.5 million

Also going out is Cid for $1.5 million subject to contract acceptance. Will also try to get that Radu to replace him. Any recommendations for backup MC, maybe on loan.

Originally posted by DirtyJoe:

QUOTE]

Have you signed him? I scouted him during my Blacburn game, but ended up paying $6M for him then and he was good. A good back up, can play in the midfield as well.

Have you got Stancu yet??

"Law Man" have you started a Bolton game yet?

I haven't as yet, I like to start at the bottom for a proper career game with the aim of managing Bolton at some point once I go as far as I think I can with my LLM team. Currently managing Blyth in Blue Square North!

What's with all the dollar signs!?

Well start of my second season at Bolton 2008/2009 not a good start?? After 5 games Iam 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses?? I think I have brought in too many players and they are yet to blend in together?

I have ended up spending $11.75M(pounds)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Date | Person | From | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1.7.2008 | Bréchet, Jérémie | FC Sochaux | Free |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1.7.2008 | Jorge | Celta | Free |

| 1.7.2008 | Edman, Erik | Stade Rennais FC | Free |

| 1.7.2008 | Sidwell, Steve | Chelsea | £2.6M |

| 1.7.2008 | Kewell, Harry | Liverpool | Free |

| 6.7.2008 | Pardo, Sebastián | Feyenoord | Free |

| 10.7.2008 | Itandje, Charles | Liverpool | £950K |

| 17.7.2008 | Koné, Arouna | Sevilla | £8M |

| 30.8.2008 | Jørgensen, Mathias Zanka | FC København | £150K |

| | Total | | £11.75M |

| | | | |

| Date | Person | To | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 15.5.2008 | Jamieson, Scott | Free Transfer | Free |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 15.5.2008 | Sinclair, James | Free Transfer | Free |

| 15.5.2008 | Charlesworth, Mark | Free Transfer | Free |

| 15.5.2008 | Wolfe, Nathan | Free Transfer | Free |

| 23.6.2008 | Walker, Ian | Free Transfer | Free |

| 23.6.2008 | Smith, Johann | Free Transfer | Free |

| 23.6.2008 | Basham, Chris | Free Transfer | Free |

| 25.6.2008 | Gbemie, David | Free Transfer | Free |

| 1.7.2008 | Gardner, Ricardo | Zaragoza | Free |

| 1.7.2008 | Ellis, Mark | Free Transfer | Free |

| 20.7.2008 | Lainton, Robert | Chester | Loan |

| 24.7.2008 | Davies, Kevin | Derby | £100K |

| 29.7.2008 | Dzemaili, Blerim | Hull | £500K |

| 1.8.2008 | Vaz Te, Ricardo | Middlesbrough | Loan |

| 9.8.2008 | Bogdán, Ãdám | Chester | Loan |

| 9.8.2008 | Cassidy, Matthew | Chester | Loan |

| | Total | | £600K |

| | | | |

</pre>

I have Anelka out for 4 weeks and Kone is still settling in? Looks like its going to be a tough season within the league. If i can grab a top 7 finish that would be great, with my sole aim now for a final berth in one of the cups.

Yeah, I find signing too many players disrupt the harmony for me as well. From a strong 4th position at the start of January I have dropped to 7th in March, so aiming for a UEFA cup spot come the end of the season. In addiion to the transfers above I did sell Cid and bring in Radu. Also I bought Ivan Leko as backup MC.

Heres my team:

GK- Jaaskelainen/Wiese

DR- Ujfalusi/Hunt

DL- Robinson/Samuel

DC- Meite/Juhasz

DC- Spiranovic/Radu

MR- Wilhelmsson/Stelios

ML- Diouf/D.Capel

MC- Sidwell/Leko

MC- Nolan/Rolfes

AMC- Celsinho/Giacomazzi

FC- Anelka/Stancu

Defence has been weak for me despite the best efforts of Spiranovic (3rd best avg rating). When I had Kone on loan I brought him off the bench at that was when he was at his best but now Anelka's injured you are forced to start him I suppose. Have you tried him with different instructions? Maybe give him time to settle but that is quite a problem...anyone else any ideas?

PS. Do you want to talk in Australian dollars or English sterling?

Sterling will be fine, as I play my game with Sterling.

I have Anelka back now, surpise?? he just scored a nice Hattrick in the CL fixture (welcome Back)I will look a bit closer at Kone, as he looks the goods, just need him to conribute more.

I cant believe you got $3.5 for Andy O'Brein i cant gid rid of him or Helguson, as they are both rotting in my reserves.

Think I got that much for O'Brien because I played him regularly. He went to Middlesbrough in the end. Tried for ages to sell Helguson so I was really pleased to get £650k.

Just shows how much difference Anelka makes. Trust me: Kone will be better as a sub.

Now 6 games from the end of the season and in 6th, 2 points clear of Aston Villa in 7th. Will go down to the wire...

Originally posted by dioufy_is_god:

Zarate did the business for me with Bolton scored about 20

Hey! Totally agree with you on Dioufy! Did you get Zarate right at the start of the save? I scouted him in January of the second season but plumped for Bogdan Stancu instead. Maybe I made a mistake but its not vitally important because I only play one up front. How has his form affected Anelka?

Good tip for a beginner for a new Bolton save though!

Also wanted to say thanks for everyone who has helped me and contributed to this thread! Merry Christmas everyone!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dioufy_is_god:

Zarate did the business for me with Bolton scored about 20

Hey! Totally agree with you on Dioufy! Did you get Zarate right at the start of the save? I scouted him in January of the second season but plumped for Bogdan Stancu instead. Maybe I made a mistake but its not vitally important because I only play one up front. How has his form affected Anelka?

Good tip for a beginner for a new Bolton save though!

Also wanted to say thanks for everyone who has helped me and contributed to this thread! Merry Christmas everyone! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi mate good two see another white on here i play the Goals Goals and more Goals tactic of sortioutsi i dont no if you no it but it plays 1 striker who was Nic and 2 AMCs who push Left and Right so i had Dioufy and Zarate just behind with Nobby and Flamini on Loan i also bought thomas Valetti (spelling) from torino and he is a quality player

Great, I will check that out. How's it working for you?

I play a slightly more conservative 4-4-1-1 with my AMC (Celsinho) behind Anelka but in front of Nolan and Sidwell. My two wingers are Dioufy and Wilhelmsson but I may be looking for a replacement for Wilhelmsson in the next transfer window.

Now at start of season 3 after finishing 6th last season...meaning another European tour for little Bolton!

Well, I won't hold it against you seeing as you brought success that we could only dream of to the Reebok! Good luck with the Magpies... I'm sure you'll have more success than Big Sam is currently having! Wonder if you'll get booed when you come back to the Reebok?!

NO WAY!!! When trying to load my Bolton game the computer says my file is corrupted! icon_mad.gif I've had this before on FM 07 with Birmingham and Salzburg, but them I was like 10 or 15 seasons in... not 3! Lets just say I'm a bit hacked off icon_mad.gif but I'll get over it and start again with the Whites as a better manager. I'll be back. icon14.gif

hi guys, i have just got fm08 for crimbo and im ready to take up the bolton challenge, was reading through your post's and was wondering if you could email me that tatic joe, looks and sounds good.

I will let you guys know how i do.

Bolton till i die

Okay, take 2. End of first transfer window and I have taken a different approach from last time and decided to buy loads of players and sell the dead wood. I also adjusted the budget to give me around 8 mil and still around 110k/pw to play with...

IN

Mika Aaritalo- £90k

Lulinha- £2.5 million

Mathieu Flamini- Loan

Gabriel Torje- £400k

Matthew Spiranovic- £925k

Steffen Iversen- £1.4 million

Harry Kewell- Loan

Malkhaz Asatiani- £825k compensation

OUT

Ivan Campo- £200k

Ricardo Vaz Te- Loan

Zoltan Harsanyi- Loan

Heidar Helguson- £1.2 million

Ian Walker- £150k

Andranik- £2 million

Gerald Cid- £1.1 million

GK- Jaaskelainen/Al-Habsi

DR- Hunt/J O'Brien

DC- Meite/Michalik

DC- Spiranovic/A O'Brien

DL- Gardner/Samuel

MR- Diouf/Torje

MC- Nolan/Asatiani

MC- Flamini/M Alonso

ML- Aaritalo/Kewell

AMC- Iversen/Lulinha

FC- Anelka/Davies

Doing well so far (3rd):

Bolton 2-0 Derby (Anelka, Aaritalo)

West Ham 1-2 Bolton (Anelka, Iversen(p))

Bolton 5-0 Portsmouth (Anelka (2), Iversen (2p), Aaritalo

Arsenal 0-0 Bolton

Bolton 1-3 Chelsea (Spiranovic)

What do you reckon? Anywhere I can improve in January?

Archived