Are chairmen having a goldfish brain when it’s about improving facilities?

Last season after managing to spare €7M for 3 seasons I asked the board to improve:

- The stadium

- Training facilities

- Youth facilities

By the end of the season because of the wages I finished with 280K in balance but was promoted to the Premiership, and despite the board probably knows we’re gonna get some cash from TV rights during the next season they cancelled the improvements.

I order to get some cash before the beginning of the season I decided to transfer list most of my first team squad that clubs wanted to purchase and keep only my promising players. I managed to get about €15M but taking the risk to play the full season with players lacking of experience.

Now my balance is of €17M and each month I’m getting a part of the €33.3M from TV rights, with only €1M wage budget per month this potentially gives me €38M by the end of the season in balance. So I ask the board to improve the stadium, training and youth facilities, and they accepted, but it seems like they start to plan the improvements from scratch.

This is stupid; the planning to improve the facilities is a bit more than a month old and yet the morons from the board seem to have forgotten everything about it. Now I’ll probably have to wait for the end of the current season to see the end of the improvements losing 1 full year for a few poor weeks of lack of funds.

IRL a board would probably keep the improvement planning until the finances allow them to start working on the improvements. The guys probably spent thousand for a study to improve the facilities and they throw the money away by restarting the studies from scratch? Come on, try to have some common sense about these “Facilities improvements” so that the planning seems realistic, this part of the game will greatly benefit from some improvements; no estimated building time, no estimated building costs, improvements studies starting from scratch when IRL the board would know “We need €2M to improve the training facilities, we’ve made the studies, as soon as the money is available we start the work”…

They always seem to be able to recall me a defeat in a friendly game against Real Madrid that happened 2 years ago, or some other important event such as me selling the 34 years old 9th best striker that hasn’t played for the last decade but can’t remember that they already agreed to improve the facilities a year ago and all they needed was the cash to start the work!

The current financial / stadium / facilities system seems so flat and dull, probably because the last changes to these have been made when we were all playing CM00/01 on our PII 300Mhz computers. Yet it would add a lot more interest to the game; developing the club not just the squad is taking a main part in the future successes of a club today but with FM it’s totally inexistent. This works well when you manage ManU or Chelsea as they already have good facilities, but manage a small side and try to make it up to the Premiership with no control at all about how the club is developing seems unrealistic.

No surprise people get bored of FM after a couple of seasons playing with Arsenal or some other big team and winning the CL each time. Please SI redesign everything about finances, facilities and stadium, the game needs it!

FM can be called Football Manager For Babies 2010 that can only click "Continue", "Buy Player", "Sell Player" buttons, win CL and go to sleep and wait for next DB update to get the next 5 seconds of thrill before being bored again. It would be great to have the version for those older than 10 and that can make it with numbers, for those who really would like to manage a football club the way it works IRL. I have so much fun when reading stuff like “FM is all about realism mate…”, yeah bollox!

Archived