New patch 10.2 - would you install it again given what you now know???

I love the Patch.

It now feels and looks like that if you have a real quality player in stats it also shows in the ME, the 3d is much smooter and realistic. I was a bit worried about the fitness and the injury rate but, but the injuries during games are often 1 or 2 days then back to match fitness and the Fitness is much more realistic. I was also worried after i read that Stats was dropping fast on quality players but i feel now the training is even better, and the players are showing good progress.

Thank you IS for a very good update

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

The injuries are much more realistic now than they were pre-patch - if we're honest it's still a bit off - looking at statistics we've taken the game is still below what it should be in real life.

I must say I agree with that. I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth there'd be if people were forced to play a back three of Fletcher, Carrick and De Laet for Manchester Utd in the game due to injuries/illness.

• Administrators
i would get the patch but be prepared to ditch your old tactics and spend some time creating new ones. i'm not saying thats a bad thing, but with changes to the match engine these things happen

I wouldn't agree with that; my old tactics were terrible before 10.2 and they still are, so you don't have to change :D

Yes even though some of these ****ing decisions are outrageous. And player decisions.. You know I just had Walcott one on one with the goalie and he decides to put the ball out of play.. Guess what.. Wigan don't even throw the ball back to me, the ****ers.

10.2 may have some pretty annoying things in it but overall it's pretty good.

Speaking as someone who didn't enjoy the immediate difficulties my team faced after patching halfway through the season, I would certainly apply the patch again now, having completed that season successfully.

Whilst I am quite sure there was nothing wrong with my tactics in 10.1, I went from conceding hardly anything (10.1) to conceding far more often (10.2) as well as scoring regularly (10.1) to seeing my conversion rate drop to 10% (10.2).

A few small tweaks to my tactics saw my team regain some of their old 10.1 magic, although I'm still not capable of scoring the same amounts as some of the AI teams seem to manage against each other, I've got no real gripes with the patch anymore.

Part of the problem was that I insisted on applying the patch midseason rather than waiting for a break in fixtures. I had some fitness issues from the moment I applied the patch and this required me rotating very strongly for a few weeks as well as giving certain players breaks from training and changing my tactics before I managed to get the players in more suitable condition to finish the season.

After putting a little effort in to adapt to the patch I think the game plays better and scorelines are a little more realistic.

wish i had waited before i patched....pretty obvious SI have made GK's better in order to keep down the high number of goals.

why couldn't they tune the match engine to improve defending even more??? than going for the easy option and tweaking GK's.

ohh...i get it there probably waiting for the fm2011 release in order to do that so they can charge us for it....because the patches we get for free!!!

Regarding long shots I personally feel that they have taken it to far in the other direction again.

I have a player (Simon Vukcevic) with:

Long Shot: 20

Free kick: 17

Crossing 18

Finishing: 17

PPM:

Takes long range free kicks

Shoots from distance.

Pre 10.2

Scored 5 league goals and had 5 assists. avg rating of 7.05 in 17 games (First season in England, didn't know language and arrived in january and didn't have shoot from distance ppm.)

Scored 22 league goals and had 14 assists. avg rating of 7.27 in 38 games (Season 2)

Post 10.02

Scored 1 (ONE!!!) league goal and 4 assists. avg rating of 6.96 in 27 games

This is the guy who takes all my free kicks. So with his long shot, free kick and crossing skills should both score and assist a fair few goals. Espacially given that he has a corner stat of 18 and takes most of my corners, and he has finishing of 17.

So basicly he is way worse than even his first half a season where he needed to adapt to a new culture, learn the language and fit into a new team. While I agree that his second season was totally unrealistic I feel that his stats should warrant at least double figures in both goals and assist considering he takes free kicks and corners and are instructed to let fly when he has the chance.

Other than that I must say that I can't get any tatic to work after it was patched, but I guess that is just down to poor tactical skills on my part.

I loved the game pre patch, but now I'm developing a love hate relationship because every team I play against seems to dominate me completely no matter how I line up.

I have also noticed that fitness levels have dropped quite a bit, but to me thats just more realistic so no complaints there.

It's probably just because my team is in a miserable run of form (10 matches winless, following a 6-0 win), but I swear it seems like the opponent scores about 90% of their one-on-ones, while 90% of mine go straight at the keeper (including one of my forwards who has 15 finishing and 14 composure)

I think I would go back to 10.1 if I could. While the match engine has improved in quite a few aspects, the "superkeepers" make for a frustrating game with very inconsistent results. Too often a team scores a random goal and then the other team has loads of clear cut chances saved and loses the game. I know it happens IRL too but I think even with the long shots issue things were better balanced in 10.1 (ie the team who "deserved" to win would do so more often).

Also don't really appreciate the game freezing regularly on the tactics screen for a couple of seconds or so when you click on a player. How did something like that go unnoticed I don't know.

Just a few observations with notes taken throughout a complete season in the EPL...

38 games played...

-> 22 opposition goalkeepers MoM

-> 137 times my players hit the upright

-> total of 84 injuries taking the player out for more than 4 weeks

Also...

* 6 times players incorrectly called offside (own half, surrounded by opponents etc)

* one match out of 38 shots/24 on target, scored 0

* players with natural fitness of 16+, stamina with 16+, exhausted by 55th minute

* offside still takes eons for the assistant to call

* still get idiots who are after non-existent staff jobs

* get a player on a buy-back clause - acts as though it's a brand new club

* many, many bugs pre-existing from FM09 days

On a positive note, the match engine looks prettier... :rolleyes:

Don't know if it's been mentioned before but I tried a search and couldn't find a thread. Basically with Aston Villa I went to penalties in the League Cup fourth round with Crystal Palace. Now watching the 2d screen I won the shootout 5-4. Come out of the matchday screen after pressing continue and I'm told Palace won the shootout 5-3. Any idea why that happened?

• Administrators
Don't know if it's been mentioned before but I tried a search and couldn't find a thread. Basically with Aston Villa I went to penalties in the League Cup fourth round with Crystal Palace. Now watching the 2d screen I won the shootout 5-4. Come out of the matchday screen after pressing continue and I'm told Palace won the shootout 5-3. Any idea why that happened?

Yeah this is a rare issue with match divergence which we believed we had tracked and fixed for the patch. Unfortunately it's ugly head has reared itself again and it's something we're looking into. Thanks for bringing it up, as said we're most definitely looking into it.

Look, we are talking about realistic goalie. Ok, with 10.1 I scored a lot of goals with my strikers, now, with 10.2 the GK is holding like everything. 1-on-1 chance, and my strikers shoot on the GK.

Ok, then lets take a look: I play two opponents, by both the GK was amazing, but I still managed to win, like I told in one other thread, with my MCs scoring. But, if I look to theire results after my match: 0:3, 1:4, 0:2

so, how it is possible that the GK is so good against my strikers, and before my match and after my match he is conceding goals and goals from other striker?

We are talking about ST getting in the situation to stay only with GK in front of him.

Second point: how will I manage to let some player play 3 games in a week (sunday-wednesday-saturday) when he start with 100% and ending the game with 65-70% , no injuries, just running 10km.

Third point:

Who to manage the tactic in the match when I am afraid to get a injury until the min.90' ? I saw my opponent get 3 injuries (big one that has to be subs) until min. 27'

OK, I will understand this in one match, but to see every match somebody getting a injury hmmm....

Yeah this is a rare issue with match divergence which we believed we had tracked and fixed for the patch. Unfortunately it's ugly head has reared itself again and it's something we're looking into. Thanks for bringing it up, as said we're most definitely looking into it.

No worries. Thanks for clearing it up.

Happy with the patch so far although Ashley Young's poor form is a bit worrying! Probably more my tactics than the patch though!

the patch has ruined any fun of playing the game. the lack of goals is so so boring, and knowing your going to lose 1-0 gets very annoying after a while. there wouldnt be so many people complaining if there wasnt a real issue that is wrong with the patch, so however much the mods say oh its fine, it clearly isen't and should be fixed asap, especially over the xmas period with so many people off work etc.

Which one is it? :confused:

:D

Don't worry, you can always blame it on the patch. ;)

C.

the amount of goals scored by the rest of the teams in the leagues is abit high granted, but as manager, your team with the new patch never scores the amount seen around the leagues. With the new patch your luck to win 2-0.

very few chances get put away when dominated the match now, its so unpredictable, you go 1-0 and just end up with a draw, the fave result being 1-1

Imo it`s a good patch.

The ME now looks like you are actually watching a game of football. No more 40 yard back passes going out for corners,passes find their targets,players 5 yards from the ball actually go for it rather than stare at it as an opponent 10-15 yards away saunters in and takes it. You name it and it`s been tweaked.

As for super goalies/ duff strikers one on one/opponents converting more of their chances,well I don`t agree.As an example 2 of my recent matches were a 4-1 away win v. Newcastle: goal one (23 seconds) my striker burst into the box 1 on 1 with keeper, goal 2 same striker poachers goal, goal 3 same striker penalty (my assman rates him a good championship striker), goal 4 DC header from corner. Next game we struggled to a 1-0 home win over Scunny, and if there was a super keeper on show it was mine as Scunny had more chances than us. Isn`t that one of the reasons we love football the unpredictability.

On the subject of condition deterioration during a match I think it is more realistic, and I notice that the inter match recovery rate has increased to offset this somewhat. And to be honest If after 90 mins back to the wall against Scunny most of my players are not "looking exhausted out there" I bloody well want to know why not!

Agreed, during games there are now short delays on the tactics screen,but lets be fair here: SI have worked their socks off to get this patch out to deliver a playable game in a short space of time, and will hopefully address this in the next patch. I can live with that.

Also my tactics seem to have been largely unaffected by the patch.Its like someone said in an earlier post, if your tactics are basically sound they will be ok in more than one incarnation of the game.

Credit where it`s due. Nice one SI. Thanks for a really good 30 quids worth.

For people to say that the one on one issue does not exist..it's been admitted by wwfan and at least one other member of SI staff.

One one ones from angles tend to go in a lot more often, but when the striker is straight in front of the keeper he has practically no chance of scoring.

• SI Staff

We worked hard to improve one on ones for 10.2, partly as in FML one of the main moans was that 10.1 code was too hard to score one on ones.

As hinted at by Wakers, I think we improved it for angled approaches but there is still a bit of work to be done on straight ones. That said the keeper does have a certain advantage when it comes to one on ones IRL as he knows he can come out and engage the ball player, and narrow the angle to shoot. He doesnt often have that luxury when the ball is passed around the box or crossed.

the patch has ruined any fun of playing the game.

I agree. I'm thinking of going back to 10.1 and starting a new game. Just not enjoying the game anymore and although by no means perfect, pre-10.2 was the first FM in a long time that had that "just one more game" feeling to me. Now, despite some ME improvements, watching games is just a frustrating experience.

If only there was a way to separate patches and ME, ie you download the latest patch for bugfixes but the ME version remains optional, just like say the database is now.

Was just thinking, has anyone ever seen a striker go around the keeper instead of shooting every time when one on one?

No, not seen anyone round a keeper since 08 I don't think. Then again I didn't play 09 much at all.

I have seen a lob in 10.2

Had Torres and Balotelli rounding the keeper a lot in 09 but never seen it in FM10 yet and only seen 1 long distance chip after the keeper lost the ball and was trying to get back Torres chipped him from 40 yards.

I am happy with 10.2 as I was getting crash dumps with 10.1 and they seem to have been fixed - fingers crossed - and can see my defenders making some good tackles but the keepers are definately an issue for me Consistantly managing to get Torres 3 or 4 CCCs a game and the only time he finishes is not from a CCC but scrambling in the box surrounded by players. Currently my midfielders are holding the top 3 scoring spots for my team. The long shots seem to be fixed in that they dont seem to go flying in anymore but I still have a couple of players taking them even with specific instructions to rarely shoot from long range.

I was having a lot of success with 10.1 and probably would have stayed with it but I suppose new patch = new challenge just as it always has in FM games.

Installed the patch but now am struggling to score and there is nothing i can do. My team creates a number of chances but my stupid strikers miss clear chances. I dont know why SI take notice of stats rather than use common sense. If a world class striker is clear on goal then most of the time he scores. If his finishing is to be dependent upon stats, then what is the use of attributes?

Some of the users have no problems with the new patch...congrats to them (no sarcasm intended) but there are some of us who are having trouble making the strikers convert their chances.

If SI really do need to temper the goals to a realistic number, then they should make the defenders more intelligent rather than making strikers stupid. I thought the finishing in 9.3 patch was near perfect...strikers did not score from every chance they got but you could see clear difference between good and very good strikers...now i am finding that both Jo and Torres convert the same amount of chances

Will be uninstalling the patch now :( hope that the problem is fixed for 10.3

I'm sad to say that i agree totally with this post. Everytime my strikers are 1 on 1 in 10.2 they hit it straight at the keeper, with the rebound going miles away from the now totally static striker. The Goalies are now far too good, making incredible saves, and seemingly having magnetic properties so that shots that are going in suddenly change direction into the keepers arms !!

It got to the stage on my 4 season save that I knew what was gonna happen in every game, the oppo would score within the first 5-10 mins, then i will have a bundle of chances (mainly missed 1 on 1's) the oppo would then score one or two more. My tactics that were perfectly fine in 10.1 now seem to be utterly useless. I have tweaked and even downloaded tactics off the forum to see what would happen. But alas, I cannot score enough and concede from almost identical chances.

Last night I succumbed to, what for me was inevitable and uninstalled and went back to 10.1. This of course left my save knackered, so I also had to start a new game.

I've never posted anything like this before, and I'm very, very disapointed with the ME in 10.2. (and some UI lag) I appreciate that plenty seem happy and good luck to you all, but I'm now going to wait until 10.3.

One other point that has really annoyed me with 10.2, is the fact that my ME graphics (auto-select or Low) will not show the numbers in the back of the shirts unless I go to medium, which then becomes laggy and jerky ! ME graphics were fine for me in 10.1.

BTW, I personally think that the players condition/fatigue thing in 10.2 is excellent and very realistic, but alas this is not enough for me and I'm back with 10.1

Happy Xmas one and all

Archived