[FM10] Crouchy's Calcio Journeyman Save

crouchaldinho

17 November 2017 - The Dilemma!

I'm calling on the good people of FMCU to help me in a massive career decision:

Crouchaldinho-34.png

First things first, below you can find the table and see the situation we find ourselves in, along with the current position of Lazio in the league:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 14th  |       | Livorno     |       | 13    | 3     | 5     | 5     | 8     | 17    | -9    | 14    | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 15th  |       | Empoli      |       | 13    | 3     | 4     | 6     | 11    | 15    | -4    | 13    | 
[b]| 16th  |       | Verona      |       | 13    | 2     | 5     | 6     | 12    | 19    | -7    | 11    | [/b]
| 17th  |       | Reggina     |       | 13    | 2     | 3     | 8     | 7     | 19    | -12   | 9     | 
[b][i]| 18th  |       | Lazio       |       | 13    | 2     | 2     | 9     | 8     | 18    | -10   | 8     | [/i][/b]
| 19th  |       | Mantova     |       | 13    | 1     | 4     | 8     | 8     | 28    | -20   | 7     | 
| 20th  |       | Parma       |       | 13    | 1     | 3     | 9     | 10    | 29    | -19   | 6     | 

We're struggling along, picking up the odd draw and very occasional win. I feel we're doing okay, although we have dropped points to Mantova and Livorno, which is not good. However, we have beaten Parma and Lazio. In general, I'm feeling fairly happy with how things are going and I do think we can do enough to stay up, although it's going to be very tough and there is no way it's going to be an easy ride.

Then, suddenly, Lazio sack their manager and ask me if I want the job. Now, here comes the dilemma: this looks like a huge opportunity for me to move onwards and upwards in my managerial career but, at the same time, I love Hellas Verona and feel an emotional attachment to them.

On the pros side, just look at that transfer budget! Looking at their squad, I can see there is enough talent there already for me to get them out of trouble, and if I can spend the transfer budget, it means that I can do some good business in January and have a great chance of pushing them back up the table. With the transfer money, I could also bring my favourites like Davide Vangi and Luca Ricci with me to the capital. This is an opportunity to move to the capital, take over one of the biggest clubs in Italy, spend some money and push them on. In the longer term, a push for Europe would be realistic and this could lead to bigger things for me. This could be a great stepping stone on to an even bigger club. A couple of decent finishes with Lazio could see the offers come in from a Champions League outfit; a place where I could challenge for titles and trophies at the very top of the game!

On the cons side, I would always have to wonder what could have been with Verona. My emotional attachment is very strong and I'll feel sad to leave. But I have to ask the question: what can Verona do for my managerial career? At the moment, not enough is probably the answer. Progress is going to be slow, there isn't a lot of money to spend and I could end up fighting for survival or heading towards mid-table mediocrity for quite a few more seasons to come. Maybe I have used Hellas Verona for as much as I can get right now. Verona would always be in my heart but I must be ruthless and think only of my managerial career!

Tough one, isn't it? So, people of FMCU, your advice would be appreciated!

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you :thup:

Will be interesting to see how your 4-4-2 performs in Italy.

Well, it did extremely well in Serie B. In Serie A, I have come up against sides playing narrowly and between the lines, but so far, it has performed fairly well and pretty much as I expected.

Just downloaded this now. Looks an interesting publication so will read further if I get a chance tonight. Cheers for the tip-off! :thup:

Yes, it's pretty good. A bit hit and miss maybe but it's definitely worth it when you get an article that you class as a 'hit' (e.g. the Verona one!)

Solid looking team. Serie A survival hopefully and a continuation of Vangi's brilliance.

I was pinning my hopes on Vangi and Ricci before the season started. If I head to the capital to take the Lazio job, I'd have to take both of them there.

The Blizzard is a quality read. Some excellent writers Wilson's got together there.

Yes, I like quite a few of them too. :thup:

I would go for Lazio if it was me. It might be good fun to resurrect a fallen giant!

Are they a fallen giant? Would you call them that? I think they have only won a couple of Serie A titles and a Cup Winners Cup.

Apparently they are the sixth most supported team in Italy but only the second in Rome. :D

I thought I would be heading to the other Rome club, to be honest, if I did head to the capital. :o

Hmmm, it's a real tough one. I'd be tempted to stick with Verona, however, with that transfer budget and the players you could steal...

It's a journeyman save. I'd move.

Yeah, Wavelberry pretty much summing it up for me here! :p

I think you should go with Lazio, like you said, you did all you can with Verona, maybe it's time for you to go to Lazio. I always seen Lazio as a team with potential to be great in Italy league.

Could be right SazoJohnno. :thup:

One advantage I have is that , according to my rivals screen, Hellas Verona fans don't hate Lazio. They seem to hate pretty much every other club in Italy though. :D

I'm trying to get into Lazio. I need to find love at the clubs I manage. Once I take over as manager, I become like a supporter, and I learn to love the club. Thus, I've been researching Lazio and trying to find things to love about them. :o

Lazio's colours of white and sky blue were inspired by the national emblem of Greece, due to the fact that Lazio is a mixed sports club this was chosen in recognition of the fact that the Ancient Olympic Games and along with it the sporting tradition in Europe is linked to Greece.

Lazio's traditional club badge and symbol is the eagle, which was chosen by founding member Luigi Bigiarelli. It is an acknowledgment to the emblem of the Hellenic Zeus (the god of sky and thunder in Greek mythology) commonly known as the Aquila; Lazio's use of the symbol has led to two of their nicknames; le Aquile (the Eagles) and Aquilotti (Young Eagles).

I love Greek mythology and so this is right up my street. :D

My time at Verona has influenced me greatly and I think that I would refuse to move to their major rivals now (e.g. teams like Vicenza, Brescia and Atalanta, Juventus, A.C. Milan, Inter, AS Roma etc.)

But I would definitely like to manage at some of their 'friendship clubs' like Fiorentina, Lazio, Sampdoria. Abroad, this list includes Chelsea and Real Madrid, should I ever wish to visit England or Spain. :p

Don't go Lazio. :( Nothing to love about them, infact nothing to even like about them.

No bias I assure you.

Oh no! Will I lose one of my readers if I go to Lazio? :(

What about if it is just a stepping stone and I ditch them at some point in the future and move to Roma instead! :D

Are you Italian Romantista? Can you tell me about the traditional fans for Lazio and Roma in the city of Rome? I get the impression from my reading that the middle classes have historically followed Lazio, while the working classes are more likely to be Roma fans. Is that right roughly speaking or is it quite misleading to make this kind of statement?

Ha, maybe so! I haven't accepted the job just yet. :p

Crouchy I thought you were English!!! Bad error there, and worse getting someone who's first language isn't English to correct you. :p

Looks like you're going to manage Lazio now. :)

Oh no! Will I lose one of my readers if I go to Lazio? :(

What about if it is just a stepping stone and I ditch them at some point in the future and move to Roma instead! :D

Are you Italian Romantista? Can you tell me about the traditional fans for Lazio and Roma in the city of Rome? I get the impression from my reading that the middle classes have historically followed Lazio, while the working classes are more likely to be Roma fans. Is that right roughly speaking or is it quite misleading to make this kind of statement?

Half Italian (family mainly based in Rome, while I'm in Luxembourg) and the family has four-generations of Roma fans.

Lazio fans are outnumbered 3-1 in Rome by Roma fans and are widely considered to be the "burini", or farmers from outside the Roman walls. Lazio are also well known for their Fascist following and numerous players of theirs have publicly given the Fascist salute.

They also have a tradition of being involved in every negative incident in Italian football (betting scandals, Calciopoli, etc.).

You can't really expect me to approve of such a move, but there has been a precedent in Zdenek Zeman who became Roma favourite.

(Oh, and Bedford Bulldog really means are you a man who follows his purse or his heart!)

Crouchy I thought you were English!!! Bad error there, and worse getting someone who's first language isn't English to correct you. :p

What error? :p

Strange one that. I thought 'accepted' but typed 'excepted' for some reason. :o

The weird thing is that I even sat here for ages trying to work out what you were on about, re-reading my sentence as 'accepted'.

Dyslexia maybe? Or perhaps I have been living in Italy for too long. Nah, I think just tiredness and not concentrating properly. :D

Crouchy

The way I see it is - Are you man who follows his heart or his head?

If you follow your head, it's no contest - move to Lazio.

If you follow your heart - then it has to be Verona.

To me, football is all about emotion, so I know my choice would be to stay.

I'm an emotional man, definitely. This is a journeyman save though and therefore I have to make a decision with my head for the good of my career, surely!

Half Italian (family mainly based in Rome, while I'm in Luxembourg) and the family has four-generations of Roma fans.

Lazio fans are outnumbered 3-1 in Rome by Roma fans and are widely considered to be the "burini", or farmers from outside the Roman walls. Lazio are also well known for their Fascist following and numerous players of theirs have publicly given the Fascist salute.

They also have a tradition of being involved in every negative incident in Italian football (betting scandals, Calciopoli, etc.).

You can't really expect me to approve of such a move, but there has been a precedent in Zdenek Zeman who became Roma favourite.

(Oh, and Bedford Bulldog really means are you a man who follows his purse or his heart!)

Well, I definitely wouldn't be doing it for money. I'd be doing it for footballing reasons!

You're making this difficult for me Romanista! I have always sympathised with Roma rather than Lazio in real life, which has made this even more difficult.

It's not an easy one is it? Think I'd stay with Verona to be honest but despite all other peoples opinions only you will know what is the right choice...

It's a really tough one Gundo.

You, Bedford Bulldog and Romanista are making me think the opposite now. How can I leave Verona like this with them still struggling to survive? I would most likely steal two or three of their best players and then ruin their chance of staying up. Also, Lazio isn't the 'perfect' move exactly.

Maybe I should stay with Verona and wait for a better time and a better move.

How can FM do this to me? I'm pacing up and down trying to make a decision as if this was a real life career move. :o

I think my instinct now is that the timing is wrong and the club is wrong. Still not sure though.

Ah, away to do something else like read a book for a few hours. I have some thinking to do guys!

What error?

Strange one that. I thought 'accepted' but typed 'excepted' for some reason. :o

The weird thing is that I even sat here for ages trying to work out what you were on about, re-reading my sentence as 'accepted'.

Dyslexia maybe? Nah, I think just tiredness and not concentrating properly. :D

It's alright mate. I write a lot of stuff (blogs, scripts, stories..), and half the time I don't make sense. I like writing despite the fact I have terrible English vocab, and I prefer talking in my own language than English. :)

Just go Crouchy. Go for a new challenge. Following your heart doesn't mean you have to stay at your current club forever. Even I rejected TFC in games before (although the unplayability of MLS had something to do with my decision hehe), and other favoured clubs, because a journeyman game is about going around to different clubs, learning about new experiences, making new friends (and sometimes enemies :p). So gogogogo!

But you think you can still progress, maybe win a Serie A title, maybe win Champions League title with Verona soon, then stay.

It's alright mate. I write a lot of stuff (blogs, scripts, stories..), and half the time I don't make sense. I like writing despite the fact I have terrible English vocab, and I prefer talking in my own language than English. :)

It just goes to show that even the best of us can make mistakes. :p

Just go Crouchy. Go for a new challenge. Following your heart doesn't mean you have to stay at your current club forever. Even I rejected TFC in games before (although the unplayability of MLS had something to do with my decision hehe), and other favoured clubs, because a journeyman game is about going around to different clubs, learning about new experiences, making new friends (and sometimes enemies :p). So gogogogo!

But you think you can still progress, maybe win a Serie A title, maybe win Champions League title with Verona soon, then stay.

Hmmmmmn.

Ah, sod it, I'm staying with Verona.

The timing wasn't right and the club wasn't right. The only thing that was right was the transfer budget! :D

I can't leave now, not like this, and not to a club that I don't even really care about.

I have to learn to love the clubs I manage in some way; to become a supporter of them whilst managing them. I can't find much to make me love Lazio. I don't even like basic things like the colours they play in. :rolleyes:

If it was Fiorentina, for instance, then maybe I could find plenty to love, but not Lazio. Sorry any Lazio fans but that's the way it is.

If I go to the capital, it will have to be as Roma manager. I bet Romanista1994 will be proud. :p I have seen the dark side and come unto the light, or words to that effect. ;)

Now to continue saving Verona from relegation back to Serie B!

Bit off topic but do you not really like FM11?

To be honest, I'm not a fan AB.

I mean, the main reason I'm still playing 10 is just how much fun I'm still having with it and the fact that it runs well on my laptop, plus I have it all set up how I want it with customised views etc.

The things I don't really like about FM11 are really the match preparation and the agents. I just found both not well thought out, irritating and annoying. They don't add anything to my experience so it hasn't made me drop my FM10 saves to play FM11.

The thing that really annoyed me about FM11 though was that there was no real innovation or change in the core areas of the game and the areas that I love most of all. The tactics creator hasn't changed and I wanted new roles, settings and even the ability for customisation! Then there was training, which I feel needs an overhaul, and the match preparation thing just feels and looks clumsy to me; that and it contradicts other parts of the game! If FM11 had these kind of things then I would have jumped at the chance to start a new save. As it is, FM11 just felt like more guff that I didn't need (e.g. match preparation, 3D, agents etc.)!

It's also a personal choice to do with where I am in my life right now. I spend a lot of time playing FM, admittedly, but that time is becoming more restricted of late and I don't feel like I have the energy or the time to start playing around with a new FM. I'm safe and happy with FM10; I have it customised to my needs, I have foundation tactics set up, I have my training schedules done etc., and thus it is accessible and easy to get into and to enjoy a game. On top of this, my old laptop is struggling more and more with the newer games and I don't have the spare cash to replace her (yes, of course she is a woman! :p ) right now. I know she runs FM10 well enough and that'll do for now.

So that, in a very long-winded and round about way, is my take on it all. The short version is that FM11 just hasn't captured my imagination and I'm happily still playing FM10.

It's just my opinion of course and not meant to offend anyone who is enjoying the new game. :)

Ah, sod it, I'm staying with Verona.

The timing wasn't right and the club wasn't right. The only thing that was right was the transfer budget!

I can't leave now, not like this, and not to a club that I don't even really care about.

I have to learn to love the clubs I manage in some way; to become a supporter of them whilst managing them. I can't find much to make me love Lazio. I don't even like basic things like the colours they play in. :rolleyes:

If it was Fiorentina, for instance, then maybe I could find plenty to love, but not Lazio. Sorry any Lazio fans but that's the way it is.

If I go to the capital, it will have to be as Roma manager. I bet Romanista1994 will be proud. :p I have seen the dark side and come unto the light, or words to that effect. ;)

Now to continue saving Verona from relegation back to Serie B!

You bet very right, I'm more delighted than I should be considering it's your FM career. :D And tbh if you're displeasing Lazio fans it'll disappoint only about four people in total.

Forza Verona in that case! I can see you staying up, I know a few of your new signings and they're good players in my FM10 Roma save.

Great answer Crouchy, you bring up some very valid points. The match prep for me is always set to team blend and that is it. The training does need some major work, to be fair I can see myself playing FM11 until the third patch of FM12 is out. With my new PC I have thought of going back to FM10 to continue my first continental dominance save as there were a few things I wanted to do on there.

You bet very right, I'm more delighted than I should be considering it's your FM career. :D

At least I have one happy reader! :D

And tbh if you're displeasing Lazio fans it'll disappoint only about four people in total.

Fair point. :thup:

Forza Verona in that case! I can see you staying up, I know a few of your new signings and they're good players in my FM10 Roma save.

Forza Verona indeed! :cool:

Great answer Crouchy, you bring up some very valid points. The match prep for me is always set to team blend and that is it. The training does need some major work, to be fair I can see myself playing FM11 until the third patch of FM12 is out. With my new PC I have thought of going back to FM10 to continue my first continental dominance save as there were a few things I wanted to do on there.

The thing is, I've spent the last couple of versions jumping over to a new FM as soon as it comes out and then getting really disappointed.

For instance, I had a perfectly awesome save going on FM08 and then I dropped everything for FM09 and was hugely gutted when I discovered that I just hated it. Then I couldn't get back into my old FM08 save and I spent the FM year in a kind of purgatory, switching between 08 and 09 and complaining bitterly. :D

I sense you may know where I'm coming from here AB. You had your awesome continental dominance save on FM10 and then couldn't wait to start it on FM11, only to find that a bug stopped you from enjoying it.

So, it's kind of about the fact that FM10 rocks my world and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I've found a version which is awesome and I don't want to waste any time right now by jumping over to a new version only to find that I don't like it at all. When I put it like that, it's almost like saying that I've lost my faith in SI a bit and I guess I sort of have in some ways. :(

It's not that I'm afraid of change, it's just that the change has to call out to me and make me think 'wow, I really have to start a save on the new version' and FM 11 doesn't do that for me.

It ultimately comes down to the fact that I just think FM10 is such a balanced and playable game and I'm just not ready to let go of that yet. I'm having so much fun with it and I simply don't have the energy for the new game in lots of different senses.

The only thing that brought me to FM11 instead of staying on 10 was DLR. Other than that I see them as equals.

That was the one thing tempting me but then I found that it had caused problems with reputation (such as those experienced by AB with his save) and it quickly put me off.

Roma is clearly the better club so good move in the end Crouchy.

11.3 is worth doing though once you've finished here (although FM12 may have enticed you by then). My save that I've started has really got me rolling and the things I didn't think I'd like such as the Agents and the conversations are actually quite well integrated into the way I manage now. I didn't start my main save coz of the rep bug and TBH Match Prep doesn't really mean anything. I haven't touched it since the opening days of the season.

That probably won't sell it to you, but that's my take on it. Anyways Forza Verona and all that old chap. Pip pip.

See Crouchy I don't have the problem with only loading 1 league as I have loads loaded to it says competitive :) Also view-only seems to keep them semi aggressive.. Not sure what the AI coding is on that though

I mainly got FM11 because I wanted to do the continental save again but as you said it really annoyed me when I couldn't do it due to bugs. When you think about it just as a game gets perfect to play it is around 7 months until the next one is out, I will be waiting this time round if I am enjoying a save on FM11.

I mainly got FM11 because I wanted to do the continental save again but as you said it really annoyed me when I couldn't do it due to bugs. When you think about it just as a game gets perfect to play it is around 7 months until the next one is out, I will be waiting this time round if I am enjoying a save on FM11.

I think I might do this too. I feel the save I'm doing at the moment could be a huge one.

I thought my words could persuade you Crouchy. :(

The only reason why I hated FM10 and liked FM11 was because of DLR. I had a Stuttgart squad capable of winning the Champions League every season but they would want to go to bigger clubs because the Bundesliga didn't get better as I kept winning.

This is probably too early to ask but are you planning to stick with these FM10 saves even when FM12 is out?

I do think you made the right choice. I remember the best save I had going on FM10, where I started out at lowly Norwegian club Vidar FK, then moved on to 1st division Bryne, got them promoted to Tippeligaen before deciding to jump ship to Italian Serie B outfit Modena and basically it was the wrong choice at the wrong time, regretted it for some time and ultimately ended my save.

Why was it the wrong choice for you then Gundo?

I think it would have been the wrong choice for me on this occasion because I didn't feel any interest in Lazio and I would have felt bad leaving Verona at this point in time.

I think if another job came up after I had ensured Verona were safe, and it was the right job (i.e. a club I feel I could build an interest in) then I would take it.

I thought my words could persuade you Crouchy. :(

The only reason why I hated FM10 and liked FM11 was because of DLR. I had a Stuttgart squad capable of winning the Champions League every season but they would want to go to bigger clubs because the Bundesliga didn't get better as I kept winning.

This is probably too early to ask but are you planning to stick with these FM10 saves even when FM12 is out?

It really depends.

At the moment, my laptop probably needs an upgrade. If I have the disposable cash when FM12 comes out then a new laptop could play its part!

It also depends on two other things and they are whether or not I get excited about FM12 and whether or not I'm in a good place to finish my FM10 saves and start something new.

To put it bluntly though, if FM12 is just more 3D guff and what I consider to be peripheral stuff, then I'm not sure if I will bother. If the core of the game is improved though, especially things like tactics and training, then there is no doubt I'll be playing it!

Sometimes, when I'm feeling most fed up and frustrated with FM, I start to think of all of the things that never seem to change and all of the bugs that seem to stay from version to version. It drives me slightly crazy. I also get annoyed with the fact that I feel like I'm compromising over some of what I call the 'unwanted features' in the game. I do have to say that I worry about the direction of the game sometimes. I worry that FM might one day cease to be the game I want it to be.

For me, the fantasy and imagination of playing this game is the central element that keeps me coming back and wanting more. If I lose that because of poorly implemented or thought out new features, and stuff that I feel is bloated and not needed, then I'm not sure where I would go from there. Perhaps I would have to be a 'retro-FMer' and just play the older games. Or maybe I just give up on football management games entirely. :eek:

It's all a very personal opinion though and, who knows, maybe I'll love the next FM as much as FM10!

In all honestly producing a new game every year is nearly impossible, especially if you want it to be market leading.

I will give you an example: Crytek.

Some, if not all of you have probably never heard of them but hang with me. In 2004 Crytek released there first game, FarCry, some of you may have heard of it (or it's squeal which Crytek didn't produce). At the time it was heralded as one of the greatest creations, it was graphically one of the most pleasing games of its time. It took until later 2007 for Crytek to release another game, Crysis. Some of you may have heard of this as well, it was the most graphically demanding game to have ever been created, and arguably still is. That was a wait for nearly 4 years for the next game. Crytek are about to release there third game in Europe, Crysis 2, some 4 years later than the original.

The reason for it taking so long between games? They are on 3 different game engines, CryEngine, CryEngine2 and CryEngine3. It's not really surprising that SI are not overhauling the game every year is it?

It is also near impossible to test every possibility for a game. Lets take 1 variable, resolution, think about how many resolutions are in the game. Now add in the fact it's windowed. Not easy...

I'm not defending SI saying they are perfect, far from it. But I can understand why somethings are hard to fix.

And yes I am a fully fledged computer game nerd before you ask, and yes I have spent several years on the Crysis (hence the example) and know a lot about it :)

You lost me after the word Crytek. :confused: ;)

But I do understand what you're saying Flamers. :thup:

On another subject, I'm glad I stayed with Verona. It was the right choice.

I'm loving this relegation battle, which in some ways is more exciting and tense than a battle for the title.

Archived