[FM10] Crouchy's Calcio Journeyman Save

crouchaldinho

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been having some problems with FM lately. The game was beginning to lag really badly while clicking through the UI. All of a sudden, it was taking around 10 to 15 seconds to click on the squad page or through a player's profile tabs, for instance. It was driving me crazy.

It wasn't save game specific as it was happening with every game. In the end, I appear to have solved it by uninstalling FM, deleting absolutely everything and starting from scratch. Now everything appears to be back to normal and it is running smoothly again. Very strange.

I wish I knew what had caused the problem but the main thing is that it is running well again and therefore I will be able to get back to playing with Hellas Verona. :cool:

I'll sort out some screenshots and a final season review this evening. Then I'll be ready to progress into my first full season at the Bentegodi.

Looks like a really interesting save this Crouchy, I've just read through it. You clearly had much more success at Carraresse than I did.

Do you think the finances at Verona will be good enough for a promotion push next season?

Also, how do you get your league table and squad into code format, thanks. And good luck.

Thanks for the comment WillCarruthers. :thup:

I've spent quite a bit of money at Verona already, so I expect that the board will want to see a return next season. I'll be hoping for a promotion push at the very least. Anything less and I will feel I have failed. The pressure is on.

Rather awesomely, my board have agreed to improve my youth facilities, which is great. The sort of teams that I usually manage normally reject me when I request this.

When you ask about the code, do you mean how to produce the text from the game itself, or do you mean how to insert it into a post? I suspect you mean the later, in which case I direct you to this.

Hope that helps. :)

Have you produced any decent youth products yet? At either club.

My question about the code was phrased badly I think; what you seem to have done it directly copied the table, almost as though you've copy and pasted it, and posted it.

I understand how to do this.

But not how to get the league table etc into a post.

That's terribly worded I know, if you can't decipher it, thats fine. It was just for practicality in my own thread.

It's one of my two top tips for a career thread (:D) which are as follows:

1) Press Alt + F9 automatically saves a screenshot into the screenshots folder of your personal FM directory, thus avoiding all of that messing around with Paint etc.

2) You can convert tables and player stats to text using 'print screen --> text file' in the FM menu. This is useful for then inserting in

brackets in your thread.

A couple of really good time saving tips, I think, that some people might not be aware of. :)

Crouchy's Calcio Journeyman Save - Project 2: Hellas Verona in Serie C1/A (Season One at the Bentegodi - 2014/15)

100px-HellasVerona.png

End of Season 14/15 Screenshots:

League Table

League Positions Graph - I took over at game 15 and slowly recovered our position in the league.

Italian Cup – We were knocked out at the 2nd Qualifying round to Chievo before I moved to the Bentegodi.

Serie C Cup - Knocked out at the third round group stage before I arrived at the club.

Transfers - You already saw the transfers during the Jan transfer window. I basically signed up a whole bunch of Carrarese players and sold or released a number of the existing squad upon my arrival at Bentegodi. (Note: any signings that are off screen in this screenshot were either signed before I joined, or were young players set to join the U20s, so I haven't included them).

Squad - we have a good squad for this level, with the stand out players being former Carrarese players Wilker and Umberto Eusepi. We need to improve at the back in order to be successful next season.

Key players:

Francesco Zarini - An attacking left-back who was with me during my last season at Carrarese. Absolutely solid and consistent for us. I have a habit of signing decent left-backs and Zarini is another quality one at this level.

Nicholas Costantini - Former understudy to Daniel Philliskirk at Carrarese, I have brought Costantini to Verona to be a key player for us. Technically very strong, with great passing ability and creativity, Costantini runs the show for us in the midfield. I have given him the captain's armband here at Verona and a big chance to prove himself. Still a work in progress but a good start from the former Parma man.

Nicolas Cordova - A quality technical player but absolutely past his best and physically not up to it. He served us well with some great cameo appearances and was good value as a free transfer. Scored a classy goal for us and set up a few quality chances. Always a threat from set-pieces. This will be his last season with us, I think, as he is due to retire but will probably join the coaching staff.

Umberto Eusepi - One of my favourite players in this save. Served me well at Carrarese, always hitting around 20 goals. This season, he has hit 9 in 16 in the league and, let's face it, that was in a struggling team. Is probably reaching somewhere near his peak now. A big, strong striker, fairly quick too, who is very reliable in front of goal. I love him. :o

Team of the Season.

Career Overview:

Season      	Team      	League      	Position   	Achievements & Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10      	Carrarese   	Serie C2/B   	6th      	(Took over after 17 games)
2010/11      	Carrarese   	Serie C2/C   	1st      	Serie C2/C winners & C2 Super Cup winners (MoY)
2011/12		Carrarese	Serie C1/A	8th
2012/13		Carrarese	Serie C1/A	3rd		3rd in Serie C1/A & Serie C Cup semi-finalists (MoY runner-up)
2013/14		Carrarese	Serie B		13th		Left at end of season
2014/15 	Hellas Verona	Serie C1/A	13th		(Took over after 15 games)

Next Season:

Next season, the board want a mid-table finish but I have gone one better by promising them a top half finish.

I spent a lot of money this season, so my funds are much smaller this time around. It means that bringing Davide Vangi or Daniel Philliskirk to Bentegodi is extremely unlikely. It's not the end of the world though as I feel I have a squad who should do well in this division. We really need to improve at the back. I'll also be on the look out for any decent bargains who can improve the team.

I feel confident of a much better season for Verona this time around.

Very good read :thup:

Excellent updates. I've just sat and read the whole thing. Will be looking forward to next update.

Thanks hilly_boro! :thup:

So you might be playing Carrarese then this coming season...

Yes Nobby, I can confirm that is the case. Carrarese and Verona are in the same division this season.

They have been made one of the favourites for promotion while we are very much outsiders.

Will be interesting to see if the new manager spends their money wisely (they have quite a lot of cash from player sales) and rebuilds the team to compete at the top of C1.

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

Pre-Season 2015/16:

Elversberg 0 – 1 Hellas Verona (Pre-season Friendly)

Fairly straight forward win against the German outfit. One goal but it could have been more. We were dominant. A great start to pre-season.

Verona Scorers: Wilker

Verona MoM: Wilker.

Hellas Verona 0 – 3 Palermo (Pre-season Friendly)

A poor performance against Palermo. We were never really in it against the Serie A side.

Verona MoM: Nobody of note. Some very average to poor performances.

Virtus Verona 0 – 2 Hellas Verona (Pre-Season Friendly)

Easy win for us. We never moved out of 2nd gear to be honest.

Verona scorer: Wilker & Umberto Eusepi.

Verona rarese MoM: Wilker.

Hellas Verona 3 – 2 Leixoes (Pre-Season Friendly)

Bit of a thriller against the Portuguese side. They scored first and we equalised just before half time. They went ahead again in the second-half before we got level with 15 minutes to go. Then, courtesy of an own goal, we got a winner in the last 10 minutes!

Verona scorers: Lucca Ricci, Dag Alexander Olsen & own goal.

Verona MoM: Striker Dag Alexander Olsen.

Manager Comments for Pre-Season:

Some pretty standard results really and we performed pretty well generally. No real surprises. I was able to bring in quite a few new faces as well to improve the team. Details of my activies in the transfer market are coming up next.

We open the season with a fairly straight forward looking Serie C Cup group to get through. We would expect to qualify for the next round really as we are the favourites out of Monza, Pro Sesto, Portosummaga and Alzanocene.

In the league, we open up with a tough match away to Cisco Roma.

Pre-Season Transfers:

Transfers Screenshot

So, there was quite a lot of activity from me in the transfer market. Much more than I expected actually.

Going out, the big story was £105k raised from the sales of Victor Bravo and Giuseppe Russo. Both were remnants of the old regime and I decided to cash in. Striker Marco Giovio also left on a free.

Meanwhile, I was desperately chasing one of my old Carrarese players, 'the next Pirlo', Davide Vangi. I was unable to meet with Carrarese's valuation of the player however. :(

Coming into the club were quite a few players. A number were for the U20s but there were also some fairly significant signings for the first team too.

First of all, the loans. I made a few but to be honest only Luca Ricci from Fiorentina looks as though he will be involved this season, playing wide left. The others look destined for an early return to their clubs or a possible place as backup for the first teamers.

The most significant proper signing in my eyes was of Franco Lepore who moved from our city rivals Chievo. Lepore has been playing mostly Serie B football and looks as though he has plenty to offer us as well as lots of experience too. My view is that it will be a very good signing.

I wanted some backup for my defensive midfielders Nicolas Costantini and Albert Cano. I didn't feel that Tom Culshaw was definitely up to the job yet so I brought in Flavio Mancuso. He has great technique and passing ability, and his defensive qualities mean that he is quite versatile and could fit either DLP or standard DM roles. He's young so should improve in the coming seasons.

Those are the two signings I feel are most significant at this time. I really wanted to strengthen the defence and so I brought a few centre-backs and full-backs to the club but time will tell whether they can break into the first team and improve the side. Most of the other signings were to strengthen the squad.

In general, I am happy with my transfer dealings, although I wish that I had managed to bring in some high quality defensive players. I feel that is an area in which we are currently struggling a little. Otherwise, we are a strong side at this level, but 'some way short of operating as a unit'. Consistency will be the way forward and I will have to manage carefully during the gelling period. Hopefully we can get a half decent start and keep improving, only to come strong at the business end of the season.

Yes, you are right about Ricci, should do the business on the left flank!

I've been away from the save for a little while, so looking forward to getting back to it.

I forgot to mention above that I may have to let one or two players go. The squad is just that little bit too big at the moment. I'd also like to try to raise some funds for a possible future bid for Davide Vangi (the next Pirlo!)

• 2 weeks later...

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR AUGUST, SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER 2015:

Haven’t updated in a while, and have been playing quite slowly lately, so here is a bumper three month update! What a treat! ;)

Hellas Verona 2 – 1 Monza (Serie C Cup, Group B)

Really want to do well in this competition. A trophy is a trophy, and I will be taking this cup seriously with the intention of trying to win it, even though it is not high on the priorities of the board.

We dominated this one and should have really been clear. New signing, Franco Lepore, opened the scoring after just fifteen minutes. Playmaker, Nicholas Costantini, grabbed a second just before half-time.

Monza, apparently the team that Gabriele Marcotti supports by the way, pulled one back through a penalty late on. We held out for the points though, with Costantini running the midfield and bossing the game.

Hellas Verona scorers: Franco Lepore and Nicholas Costantini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Nicholas Costantini.

Pro Sesto 0 – 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C Cup, Group B)

Nice strong performance against the C2 side.

Wilker got us the early goal before a second-half own goal wrapped up the tie. We looked firmly in control from the off and never looked like losing our firm grip on this one.

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker and own goal.

Hellas Verona MoM: Wilker.

Hellas Verona 4 – 0 Portosummaga (Serie C Cup, Group B)

We rested one or two players looking forward to our next game, which is the first of the league campaign, where we meet Cisco Roma away.

This was very straight-forward for us. Umberto Eusepi tore them to shreds and scored a hat-trick, no less. Alvaro Cejudo got the other goal as we were hugely dominant.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 3, and Alvaro Cejudo.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi with a 9.4 rating.

Cisco Roma 1 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

The first league game of the season and it was always going to be a tricky away match for us.

It wasn’t a terribly good performance but at the same time it wasn’t too bad. We kept the ball well and fully deserved the point.

Attacking left-back Francesco Zarini opened the scoring before Cisco Roma equalised in the last 15 minutes of the game. A fair result and a decent start for us in the league.

Hellas Verona scorers: Francesco Zarini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Francesco Zarini.

AlzanoCene 0 – 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C Cup, Group B)

Back to the Serie C Cup and once again, I rested a few players against this C2 side.

Among the starters were Dag Alexander Olsen up front and Tom Culshaw in the middle of the park. Both didn’t disappoint and took full advantage of their opportunity.

Olsen opened the scoring with a fine goal, and Tom Culshaw ran the midfield and added a second towards the end of the second-half.

Ultimately, a very straight-forward win. We have a 100% record and qualify from this group stage for the next round.

Hellas Verona scorers: Dag Alexander Olsen and Tom Culshaw.

Hellas Verona MoM: Tom Culshaw.

Here is the Group B final table:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 1st   | Q     | Verona       |       | 4     | 4     | 0     | 0     | 10    | 1     | +9    | 12    | [/b]
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Monza        |       | 4     | 3     | 0     | 1     | 11    | 3     | +8    | 9     | 
| 3rd   |       | Portosummaga |       | 4     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 5     | 6     | -1    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Pro Sesto    |       | 4     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 1     | 7     | -6    | 3     | 
| 5th   |       | AlzanoCene   |       | 4     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | 11    | -10   | 0     | 

With the qualifying stages over, we can now focus on the league and get our campaign at home underway.

Hellas Verona 2 – 0 Novara (Serie C1/A)

A strong performance, although we weren’t always at our best and didn’t keep the ball as well as I like us to.

Umberto Eusepi grabbed the opener before ex-Chievo winger Franco Lepore got the second towards the end of the game.

A win and a clean sheet at home is what I want to see more often this season. We must turn the Bentegodi into a fortress!

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi and Franco Lepore.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi.

Hellas Verona 1 – 0 Spezia (Serie C1/A)

A dominant performance but we really struggled to get ourselves ahead. In the end, we went all out for the goal and Dag Alexander Olsen, on as a sub, came up trumps for us in the last 10 minutes.

It has been a great start at home with two important wins to start the season with.

Hellas Verona scorers: Dag Alexander Olsen.

Hellas Verona MoM: Winger Luca Ricci.

Catanzaro 1 – 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

An Umberto Eusepi brace in the first 20 minutes set us on our way and it ought to have been quite a straight forward game for us. We made it difficult for ourselves by conceding late on and then we had to really hold on in order to get the three points.

Francesco Zarini, our attacking fullback, is absolutely on fire at the moment and it was his two assists which set up Eusepi for his brace today. Quality play from the left-back.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 2.

Hellas Verona MoM: Fullback Francesco Zarini.

Hellas Verona 3 – 1 Foggia (Serie C1/A)

With a bit of a pile up of games at the moment, I decided to rest a few of the regulars for this midweek clash at the Bentegodi.

It was the same old face that opened the scoring though. Umberto Eusepi is on fire early on this season. I knew he would score goals at this level but he looks like he will score in every match at the moment.

Foggia made it 1-1 quite quickly afterwards but my old favourite, Albert Cano, scored the second just before half time to take us into the break with a 2-1 lead.

Winger Alvaro Cejudo grabbed a third in the second-half to kill the game and we marched on to another three points. Great stuff!

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi, Albert Cano and Alvaro Cejudo.

Hellas Verona MoM: Fullback Giovanni Troiano.

Monza 0 – 4 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

We absolutely thumped Monza here, much to my surprise and delight.

Last season we could barely buy a win away from home so this is a fantastic indication of our change of form this time around.

Umberto Eusepi just can’t stop scoring at the moment. A hat-trick, no less, today, and he scored it in just 25 minutes. Outstanding! Luca Ricci scored the other goal. Monza were never in the game!

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 3 and Luca Ricci.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi with a 9.6 rating.

Hellas Verona 0 – 1 Modena (Serie C1/A)

Our first defeat of the season came against the title favourites Modena.

To be honest, we’d been overachieving up until this point, and I knew it had to stop sometime soon. The team is still blending and hasn’t gelled yet. While they have the undoubted quality to challenge in this division, they are also hampered by the team gelling, and I can’t really expect too much, too soon.

Whether today I was just a little bit too cautious, and that cost us, I don’t know. They scored after just 10 minutes and we never looked like getting back into it afterwards even though we threw everything at them.

Always very disappointing to lose at home. :mad: It was a close game though and on another day we could have won it, so we can’t be too disheartened by this defeat.

Hellas Verona scorers: None.

Hellas Verona 3 – 2 Ravenna (Serie C1/A)

The confidence was obviously a little bit rocked by the last result and it showed here.

We started well, quickly finding ourselves 2-0 up through Umberto Eusepi and Franco Lepore.

However, Ravenna pulled one back and we were teetering on the brink of losing the win for most of the rest of the game. That is, until Umberto Eusepi grabbed another goal on the 81st minute to seal the points. Ravenna still managed to pull one back, but we were home and dry by that point, and were happy to bounce back from the last result.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 2 and Franco Lepore.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi – just keeps on scoring!

Itala 0 – 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C Cup, 1st Round)

We really wanted to get through this cup tie against the C1/B side but I still decided to rotate a few players as we had a tough away game in the league against Arezzo next.

Once again, Umberto Eusepi came to the rescue with a brace, the first a penalty before he confirmed the win with his second goal in injury time.

Absolutely dominant performance for us. We bossed possession and looked totally in control. Very satisfying indeed.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi.

Arezzo 0 -0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

More or less a total snooze fest.

We had the better of it though but we just didn’t create good enough chances. A missed opportunity.

Cosenza 2 -4 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

This was the proverbial game of two halves.

We were absolutely awful first-half and found ourselves 1-0 down pretty quickly. Attacking midfielder, Wilker, pulled us level on half an hour, before Cosenza were awarded a dodgy penalty just before the end of the half.

To be honest, I couldn’t see a way of us coming away with the points after that awful performance in the first-half. I expressed my displeasure in the half-time team talk and the team reacted!

Three quality goals in the second-half, without reply, saw us come back to win this game 4-2. I could barely believe it. A marvellous come back.

My assistant praised my team talk after the game saying that it made the difference. I also hauled a few of the poor performers off and changed the tactics during the break. It all worked and we won the game! :smug mode:

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker, Umberto Eusepi, Alvaro Cejudo, Sergio Ferrara.

Hellas Verona 3 – 2 Perugia (Serie C Cup, 2nd round)

(2-2 at fulltime, 3-2 aet).

This should have been more straight forward against the Serie C2 side but we had a bit of a hangover in this game. The tendency of conceding goals is worrying me at the moment. We seem to have forgotten how to defend. At least we haven’t forgot how to score them.

Perugia went ahead twice in this game, similar to the Cosenza game, and at one stage I was expecting to say goodbye to the cup.

Winger Luca Gerbaudo, who is one of the few remaining original Verona players who has survived my clearout, scored a cracking goal to make it 2-2, by beating half of their team and then slotting the ball home.

In the end, it went to extra time, and winger Luca Ricci got the winner for us to send us through to the third round, and yet another group stage to decide who will be the semi-finalists.

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker, Luca Gerbaudo and Luca Ricci.

Hellas Verona MoM: Luca Gerbaudo.

Hellas Verona 4 – 1 Lumezzane (Serie C1/A)

The only complaint I can have is that this wasn’t a clean sheet. We really need to get on top of that soon. Otherwise it was an utterly dominant performance.

The midweek cup tie, including the extra time, had taken it out of my players and so this was very much a makeshift squad, even including a youth player at fullback. It was still strong enough to totally dominate here.

One player who I can never leave out is Umberto Eusepi and he put on a match winning performance once again.

Spanish attacking midfielder, Kevin, came in for Wilker, who I usually favour to play behind Eusepi. Kevin did himself no harm by scoring a couple of cracking goals and he is clearly pushing for a starting place. Dag Alexander Olsen, on as a sub, got the fourth.

Hellas Verona scorers: Kevin x 2, Umberto Eusepi & Dag Alexander Olsen.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umberto Eusepi – on fire!

Manager Comments for August, September and October:

I couldn’t have asked for much more. We are top of the league by three points, having amassed a total of 26 points from 11 games. Marvellous stuff! We’ve also made solid progress in the Serie C cup.

Umberto Eusepi is one of the players who I paid quite a lot of money for in order to bring him to Verona from my old club Carrarese. It is turning out to be more than a worthwhile investment. 16 goals in 16 games in all competitions; 11 in 11 in the league. :eek: Just amazing!

Safe to say that I am pretty pleased with the progress. I feel as though I have got a good bunch of players here and, most importantly, the strength and depth to rotate when needed. The players are blending well together and hopefully will get better and better as they spend more time together and gel as a team.

All in all, a satisfactory three months!

END OF OCTOBER 2015 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 1st   |       | Verona    |       | 11    | 8     | 2     | 1     | 24    | 9     | +15   | 26    | [/b]
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Modena    |       | 11    | 6     | 5     | 0     | 12    | 4     | +8    | 23    | 
| 3rd   |       | Padova    |       | 11    | 7     | 1     | 3     | 19    | 5     | +14   | 22    | 
| 4th   |       | Spezia    |       | 11    | 6     | 2     | 3     | 14    | 6     | +8    | 20    | 
| 5th   |       | Lucchese  |       | 11    | 5     | 3     | 3     | 8     | 5     | +3    | 18    | 

1st promoted automatically, 2nd - 5th involved in the playoffs

First Team Squad Statistics:

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Apps  | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| GK    | Rsv   | Wil Laschet          | 13    | -     | -     | -     | 7.04  | 18    | BEL   | £85K  | 
| DR    | Rsv   | Gabriele Rosati      | 5 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 7.01  | 19    | ITA   | £400K | 
| DL    | PR    | Francesco Zarini     | 13    | 1     | 6     | 4     | 7.46  | 27    | ITA   | £170K | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | 17    | -     | 1     | -     | 6.96  | 29    | POL   | £160K | 
| DC    | Slt   | Sergio Ferrara       | 15    | 1     | -     | -     | 7.02  | 19    | ITA   | £250K | 
| DMC   |       | Nicholas Costantini  | 11 (2)| 1     | 4     | 1     | 7.04  | 26    | ITA   | £180K | 
| DMC   | Wnt   | Tom Culshaw          | 9 (5) | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.11  | 21    | ENG   | £18K  | 
| AMR   | Wnt   | Luca Gerbaudo        | 4     | 1     | -     | 1     | 7.00  | 25    | ITA   | £10K  | 
| AML   | PR    | Luca Ricci           | 9 (1) | 2     | 2     | 1     | 7.54  | 19    | ITA   | £725K | 
| AMC   | Wnt   | Wilker               | 13 (2)| 3     | 3     | 1     | 7.06  | 28    | BRA   | £220K | 
| ST    | Wnt   | Umberto Eusepi       | 16    | 16    | 5     | 6     | 7.89  | 26    | ITA   | £250K | 
| S1    | PR    | Peter Gulácsi        | 4     | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 25    | HUN   | £22K  | 
| S2    | Rsv   | Giovanni Troiano     | 3     | -     | 2     | 1     | 7.60  | 19    | ITA   | £210K | 
| S3    | PR    | Flavio Mancuso       | 6 (6) | -     | 1     | -     | 6.96  | 19    | ITA   | £250K | 
| S4    | PR    | Albert Cano          | 7 (5) | 1     | 2     | -     | 6.96  | 32    | ESP   | £65K  | 
| S5    | Inj   | Álvaro Cejudo        | 4 (8) | 3     | -     | -     | 6.96  | 31    | ESP   | £35K  | 
| S6    | Wnt   | Kevin                | 4 (6) | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.92  | 23    | ESP   | £140K | 
| S7    | Wnt   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 1 (5) | 3     | 1     | -     | 7.04  | 26    | NOR   | £16K  | 
| -     | Inj   | Franco Lepore        | 10 (2)| 3     | 1     | -     | 6.97  | 30    | ITA   | £275K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Julio                | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 28    | ESP   | £10K  | 
| -     | Inj   | Jordy Goris          | 7     | -     | 1     | -     | 6.94  | 23    | BEL   | £26K  | 
| -     | Slt   | Zvonimir Kurtovic    | 8 (1) | -     | 2     | -     | 7.36  | 22    | CRO   | £35K  | 
| -     | Wnt   | Nathan Laplace       | 6 (4) | -     | -     | -     | 6.64  | 21    | FRA   | £200K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are in 8th place in the division with 15 points from 11 games.

In a terrific quirk of fate, I will be taking my Verona side to Dei Marmi to play Carrarese on the day before my birthday, almost exactly six years after I started my managerial career with them.

Really enjoyed reading this last update crouch, excellent start to the season for Hellas. Can't wait until the Carrarese game either, although if there is one team you are going to lose to it'll be them for sure.;)

Can I ask who's been winning Serie A & B down the years in your save and if indeed your are running those divisions in full detail?

Right, some answers for you Gundo.

My detail levels are set to default so I am not running all divisions on full. Obviously, when I was in Serie B with Carrarese, it was running on full though.

The winners of Serie A have been as follows:

Winner		Runners-up
-------------------------------------
2015	Juventus	Napoli
2014	Juventus	Napoli
2013	Juventus	Inter
2012	Juventus	Inter
2011	AC Milan	Inter
2010	AC Milan	Roma

While in Serie B, it has been like this:

Winner		Runners-up
-------------------------------------
2015	Chievo		Parma
2014	Cesena		Atalanta
2013	Lecce		Siena
2012	Torino		Ascoli
2011	Parma		Chievo
2010	Torino		Reggina

Italian success in Europe has been on the up in recent years. Inter won the Champions League in 2014 and Juventus are the current holders having won it in 2015. English teams were quite dominant before that. No success for Italian teams to talk about in the Europa though.

By the way, the World Cup winners in 2010 and 2014 were Argentina, with England the third place runners-up each time. The Italian national team didn't fair so well at either tournament, being knocked out at the second round both times. Lippi left in 2010 and Roberto Mancini came in. He was sacked after WC 2014 and Walter Zenga came in and is currently the manager. The 2012 Euros were won by France. Italy were knocked out in the Semis versus Spain.

I hope to manage the Azzurri at some point in the future. Federico Macheda is the biggest news for them at the moment, now at Juventus, and worth £34m.

I've just done a 'best eleven report' on the Italian football team of 2009. Gianluca Zambrotta is managing Besiktas. Gennaro Gattuso is assistant manager of Torino. Massimo Ambrosini is youth coach at AC Milan. Mauro Camoranesi is a scout at Parma and Marco Materazzi is managing Sassuolo. Antonio Di Natale is an unemployed coach and Fabio Cannavaro is an unemployed manager. The rest of the big names are still playing. If anyone has any interest in a specific player, I will be happy to look them up for you. :)

I realise this is much more than you wanted Gundo but I got a bit carried away. :D

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR NOVEMBER & DECEMBER 2015:

Pescara 2 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

The month started with this really disappointing result against Pescara.

We lost two early goals and had an awful first-half. I could easily see that the team were demotivated. It was an awful 45 minutes for us.

At half-time, I had a go at the players, and of course an improved performance followed. We pulled one back but couldn’t get level. Hugely disappointing.

Naturally, after the game, I found out that I had demotivated the players with my choice of team talk. :mad: A mistake I will not be making again if I can help it.

Hellas Verona scorers: Dag Alexander Olsen.

Hellas Verona MoM: Wilker.

Hellas Verona 2 – 0 Benevento (Serie C1/A)

Extremely straight forward three points here. We never looked like losing against this side who are fighting relegation.

Luca Gerbaudo gave us the lead early on but the second took a long time in coming. We never looked in any danger but I was glad to see Luca Ricci grab the second with 10 minutes to go so that we could cruise out the rest of the game.

Hellas Verona scorers: Luca Gerbaudo & Luca Ricci.

Hellas Verona MoM: Luca Gerbaudo.

Hellas Verona 2 – 1 Lucchese (Serie C Cup, Third Round, Group D)

I put out a full strength side here, hoping that we could get the three points from this game that we would almost definitely need to progress.

It was an almighty struggle though. Lucchese are somewhat of a ‘bogey’ side for me. They were Carrarese’s rivals and it was never an easy game against them. They have also beaten me during my reign here at Verona as well. In the end, this was a satisfying revenge, but we had to work hard for it.

In a close fought game, we suddenly found ourselves 1-0 down after 74 minutes. Utter disaster really because it gave us only a little time to find an equaliser. A defeat here would almost have certainly seen the end of our Serie C Cup campaign.

We went one better than merely equalising. Switching to a 4-2-4 with attacking wingers, I went to overload and we were almost immediately rewarded through Flavio Mancuso’s equaliser. Feeling confident that we had the upper hand now, I left things as they were and was delighted when Alvaro Cejudo smashed home the winner in the final minute of the game. It doesn’t get much better than that!

Hellas Verona scorers: Flavio Mancuso and Alvaro Cejudo.

Hellas Verona MoM: Alvaro Cejudo.

Cremonese 0 – 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

It was always going to be a tricky away match for us.

It was very even, although we bossed possession. Basically a snooze-fest with no chances and not a single shot on target!

Hellas Verona 2 – 3 Lucchese (Serie C1/A)

We met Lucchese at home yet again and our ‘bogey’ team got revenge. :mad:

This was really an utterly crap performance. All seemed to be going well when we took an early lead. However, we quickly found ourselves 2-1 down and went in at half-time with our tail between our legs.

An early equaliser in the second-half had me hopeful that we were going to go on and win it. However, Lucchese grabbed the winner with half-an-hour still to play and we never looked like getting back into it.

A bizarre game really. We dominated and made tons of chances. Defensive errors let us down badly in the end.

Although the result is probably best ignored rather than dwelled on – as it was a bit of a freak - we do seem weak at the back. I may well be looking to strengthen there in the January transfer window.

Hellas Verona scorers: Defender Adam Rafael Kokoszka and Umberto Eusepi.

Lecco 2 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C Cup, Third Round, Group D)

We continued a pretty dismal run of form here and ended our Serie C Cup hopes on goal difference. :mad:

I had a difficult choice to make before the game. I had to decide whether or not to rest some players with one eye on the next league match against Carrarese. In the end, my decision was based on getting our league form back on track, and I rested quite a few players here. It arguably cost us the match although I felt the team I selected should have been strong enough to win the tie.

A dull first-half passed quickly before the game really came alive in the second-half. Lecco grabbed two quick goals just after the hour mark and we were sunk. We pushed on and tried to get something back. Umberto Eusepi grabbed a consolation but it was to be no more than that.

The truth is that we made more than them, kept the ball better, and were the better side. Sometimes I wonder how much the team gelling is having an effect on our ability to finish off games.

It was frustrating to know that a draw here would have sent us through. In the end, we bowed out of the competition on goal difference.

Hellas Verona MoM: Dag Alexander Olsen.

Here is the Third Round, Group D final table:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Lucchese |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 3     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 2nd   |       | Verona   |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 3     | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Lecco    |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     | 

I’m disappointed because I felt that we could have gone on to win this competition and I’m desperate to win another trophy. We must now concentrate on reviving 100% our stuttering league campaign.

Carrarese 1 - 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

This was it then, the return to Dei Marmi, and the day before my 33rd birthday! Not only that, but it was almost exactly 6 years since I first took the reins at Dei Marmi and started my managerial career in Italy. I was asked if this game was emotional for me by the media and I replied that it was 'just any other game' for me.

It was interesting to note that Carrarese were still playing with many of the players I had originally brought to the club, although most of them were youth players who have been promoted through the ranks. I counted at least 7 players who I signed, including defender Armando Mendes and ‘the next Pirlo’ Davide Vangi. I’ve been trying to sign the latter player for some time now and he is definitely a transfer target for the January window. Meanwhile, I had 5 former Carrarese players in my starting line-up!

There were three English players in the Carrarese line-up today proving that my Anglo-Italian mix at Dei Marmi is still present. Indeed, it was an English player who scored the opening goal for Carrarese. We were punished in the first 10 minutes and I was deeply concerned that we were going to drop more points here.

Luckily for us, former Carrarese favourite Umberto Eusepi thought otherwise, and he smashed in a powerful finish here at his favourite old hunting ground to bring us back to 1-1 going into the break.

There wasn’t a lot to come out of the second-half but we were firmly in control. We dominated possession and really made enough to win the game. However, there was to be no 3 points on my birthday this year.

It was a funny feeling playing Carrarese. The weird thing was that I really badly wanted to win the game! It felt almost like a derby. In the end, and considering recent disappointments, I was happy to take the point.

Hellas Verona MoM: Luca Ricci.

Hellas Verona 1 – 1 Padova (Serie C1/A)

This was a tough game going into the winter break. Padova are one of the favourites for the title and were sitting top going into this game.

Once again, we got off to a poor start, finding ourselves 1-0 down just after half-an-hour. In the end though, we were utterly dominant in this one and should have won the game.

Wilker equalised for us in the second-half, taking his chance from an excellent cross by Luca Ricci from the left. Chance after chance followed and we were totally in control but we just couldn’t find the goal.

Disappointing that we couldn’t capitalise but we’ll take the point and regroup during the winter break.

Hellas Verona scorers: Wilker.

Hellas Verona MoM: Lucca Ricci.

Manager Comments for November & December:

A tough couple of months and a little disappointing really.

Getting knocked out of the cup was undoubtedly one of the main sore points of the month for me. I really wanted to get my hands on another trophy and my first with Verona.

In the league we were really poor to be honest. 6 points from 6 games is not promotion form. The losses against Pescara and Lucchese hurt and we dropped points in some of the other games. There were, however, some tough games in November and December, and we can’t be too disappointed with draws against quality opposition like Cremonese, Carrarese and Padova.

Nevertheless, the league campaign is faltering and I will be doing some work in the January transfer window to get it back on track. There will be a clear out of the youth players in order to raise some funds and I’ll be looking to improve things at the back and possibly to bring in a quality attacking player to add that x-factor so that we can get back on track. And I can reveal that Davide ‘the next Pirlo’ Vangi will indeed be one of the transfer targets next month!

END OF DECEMBER 2015 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Modena    |       | 17    | 10    | 5     | 2     | 21    | 9     | +12   | 35    | 
| 2nd   |       | Padova    |       | 17    | 10    | 4     | 3     | 25    | 7     | +18   | 34    | 
[b]| 3rd   |       | Verona    |       | 17    | 9     | 5     | 3     | 31    | 16    | +15   | 32    |[/b] 
| 4th   |       | Spezia    |       | 17    | 9     | 4     | 4     | 21    | 11    | +10   | 31    | 
| 5th   |       | Catanzaro |       | 17    | 8     | 4     | 5     | 19    | 16    | +3    | 28    | 

First Team Squad Statistics:

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Apps  | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| GK    | Wnt   | Wil Laschet          | 17    | -     | -     | -     | 6.96  | 18    | BEL   | £130K | 
| DR    | Wnt   | Gabriele Rosati      | 12 (3)| -     | -     | -     | 7.06  | 19    | ITA   | £375K | 
| DL    | PR    | Francesco Zarini     | 20    | 1     | 6     | 4     | 7.27  | 27    | ITA   | £120K | 
| DC    |       | Sergio Ferrara       | 23    | 1     | -     | -     | 6.92  | 20    | ITA   | £250K | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | 25    | 1     | 1     | -     | 6.84  | 29    | POL   | £250K | 
| DMC   |       | Nicholas Costantini  | 18 (3)| 1     | 4     | 1     | 6.91  | 26    | ITA   | £350K | 
| DMC   | PR    | Albert Cano          | 11 (5)| 1     | 2     | -     | 6.86  | 32    | ESP   | £40K  | 
| AMR   | Wnt   | Luca Gerbaudo        | 11 (1)| 2     | 3     | 2     | 6.95  | 25    | ITA   | £12K  | 
| AML   | PR    | Luca Ricci           | 15 (3)| 3     | 4     | 3     | 7.46  | 19    | ITA   | £800K | 
| AMC   | Tut   | Wilker               | 20 (2)| 4     | 4     | 1     | 7.01  | 28    | BRA   | £240K | 
| ST    | Wnt   | Umberto Eusepi       | 23 (1)| 19    | 6     | 6     | 7.58  | 27    | ITA   | £160K | 
| S1    | PR    | Peter Gulácsi        | 8     | -     | -     | -     | 6.89  | 25    | HUN   | £20K  | 
| S2    |       | Roy van der Steen    | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 20    | NED   | £150K | 
| S3    | PR    | Flavio Mancuso       | 7 (12)| 1     | 1     | -     | 6.91  | 20    | ITA   | £250K | 
| S4    | Wnt   | Tom Culshaw          | 13 (6)| 1     | 2     | 1     | 7.01  | 21    | ENG   | £14K  | 
| S5    | Wnt   | Franco Lepore        | 10 (3)| 3     | 1     | -     | 6.97  | 30    | ITA   | £250K | 
| S6    | Wnt   | Kevin                | 5 (9) | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.76  | 23    | ESP   | £160K | 
| S7    |       | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 2 (7) | 4     | 3     | 1     | 7.19  | 26    | NOR   | £18K  | 
| -     | Wnt   | Álvaro Cejudo        | 7 (11)| 4     | 1     | 1     | 6.93  | 31    | ESP   | £35K  | 
| -     | Inj   | Julio                | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 28    | ESP   | £7K   | 
| -     |       | Jordy Goris          | 7     | -     | 1     | -     | 6.94  | 23    | BEL   | £28K  | 
| -     | Wnt   | Lee Gardener         | -     | -     | -     | -     | -     | 19    | ENG   | £160K | 
| -     | Wnt   | Giovanni Troiano     | 4     | -     | 2     | 1     | 7.55  | 19    | ITA   | £275K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are underachieving in 9th place in the division with 22 points from 17 games.

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR JANUARY & FEBRUARY 2016:

First of all, I need to report on the excellent work I did in the transfer market during January.

OUT:

| Date               | Person               | To                 | Fee                | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.1.2016           | Douglas, Dave        | Llanelli           | £1K                | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1.1.2016           | Jones, Shaun         | Llanelli           | £1K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | Armstrong, Darren    | Llanelli           | £2K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | Gibbs, Scott         | Hereford           | £1K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | O'Grady, Adam        | Tranmere           | £275K              | 
| 1.1.2016           | Dawson, Nathan       | Tranmere           | £1K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | Adams, Danny         | Llanelli           | £1K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | Proctor, Andy        | Galway Utd         | £1K                | 
| 1.1.2016           | Osbourne, Steve      | Barnet             | £60K               | 
| 1.1.2016           | Howson, Nathan       | Tranmere           | £1K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Sebwe, Perry         | Nuovo Campobasso   | £4.5K              | 
| 2.1.2016           | Cadeddu, Amedeo      | Avellino           | £230K              | 
[b]| 2.1.2016           | Kurtovic, Zvonimir   | Noicattaro         | £16K               | [/b]
| 2.1.2016           | Morleo, Amedeo       | Montichiari        | £1K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Marasco, Roberto     | Messina            | £3K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Bayarri, David       | Venezia            | £130K              | 
| 2.1.2016           | Simoni, Simone       | Montichiari        | £2K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | De Paolis, Gianluca  | Montichiari        | £4K                | 
[b]| 2.1.2016           | Laplace, Nathan      | Mallorca           | £130K              | [/b]
| 2.1.2016           | Sandreani, Antonio   | Cittadella         | £2K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Bonacina, Riccardo   | Domegliara         | £1K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Swan, Steven         | Domegliara         | £1K                | 
| 2.1.2016           | Maccarone, Salvatore | Messina            | £50K               | 
| 3.1.2016           | Bridges, Scott       | Neath              | £1K                | 
| 6.1.2016           | Holmes, Lee          | Tranmere           | £110K              | 
| 7.1.2016           | Sykes, Michael       | Tranmere           | £1K                | 
| 10.1.2016          | Wright, Steve        | Mezzocorona        | £3.5K              | 
| 11.1.2016          | Jukes, Lee           | Tranmere           | £2K                | 
|                    | Total                |                    | £1.7M              | 

So essentially, this was a huge clearout of young players who I had brought to the club on free transfers and who had failed to impress. I decided to have a big clear out in order to raise funds.

The players in bold above were first-team players. Kurtovic didn’t settle in the area, and after two allowances of leave, he still had a problem, so I quickly shipped him out. Nathan Laplace, on the other hand, was poor in the air and not good enough, so I decided to cash in order to raise funds for a replacement!

All of this activity generated £1.7m, at least a million of which I intended to spend on improving the squad to support our drive for promotion.

IN:

| Date               | Person             | From               | Fee                | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 2.1.2016           | Vangi, Davide      | Carrarese          | £950K              | [/b]
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 19.1.2016          | Molina, Pablo      | Genoa              | Loan               | 
[b]| 20.1.2016          | Boateng, Derek     | Getafe             | Free               | [/b]
|                    | Total              |                    | £950K              | 

So naturally, it was all about bringing in quality rather than quantity. Davide Vangi has been on my shortlist ever since I left Carrarese. He was rated as the ‘next Pirlo’ as a youth player and has developed into a quality player.

It seems unlikely that Vangi will ever reach the great heights of Pirlo but he is Serie B quality at least and he is the most obvious trequartista I have seen in recent times! It’s going to be interesting to decide how to employ him. I’m going to retrain him to DM as well, in case I ever want to use him as deep-lying playmaker. I’m delighted with this signing, to say the least!

The other major signing was Derek Boateng from from Getafe. The Ghana international will slot into the midfield as a deep-lying playmaker, as he possesses all of the qualities needed for that role. He has a lot of experience to offer the team and I feel that he will be important for us. He will miss much of January as he is away with Ghana for the African Cup of Nations.

I didn’t manage to find a centre-back, so brought in Pablo Molina on loan from Genoa as backup. This is the one disappointment of the window as I feel that we are weakest in defence.

In general, I’m pleased with how the window went and hoping that it will help out push for promotion. No doubt, I paid over the odds to land Vangi, but as an 18-year-old star, I think it was good business. The signing of Boateng on a free is super business though and we can be pleased with that.

Hellas Verona 1 – 0 Cisco Roma (Serie C1/A)

I’m not sure it could have started much better for the new boy. Vangi scored the winner here and was the man of the match with an all round superb display.

We weren’t at all troubled by Cisco Roma, and they failed to have a shot on target all match. Nevertheless, it would have been nice to have scored a couple more goals in order to have made it more comfortable.

I have a headache over how to employ Vangi. At the moment, I have him as an attacking midfielder, with Eusepi as a deep-lying striker, so that Vangi can get beyond him and get into the box. I’m going to give this a go for a while first, as Vangi has such great finishing ability that I want goals from him and feel he can do a job in the box. However, he lacks pace, and ultimately I think we will have to go with him as trequartista because his creativity could be so important to us.

We will see how things pan out. A perfect start for the new boy regardless!

Hellas Verona scorers: Davide Vangi.

Hellas Verona MoM: Davide Vangi.

Spezia 3 – 0 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

What an extremely disappointing performance and result. Ultimately, I feel that this was my fault because I didn’t get things right tactically. I tried to exploit the flanks and played too wide against Spezia’s narrow 4-3-1-2 formation but ultimately my players found it difficult to get the ball out wide and we failed miserably to take advantage of their narrow shape. This was a case of the ‘tinkerman’ tinkering too much. :o

An early goal found us behind, and Spezia went two up before half-time. We tried to attack heavily in the second-half but only ended up giving another goal away. I don’t think that there is much more to say than that. Really disappointing.

Novara 0 – 3 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

From the ridiculous to the sublime! What a great performance.

Umberto Eusepi was on fire, scoring a brace inside of 3 minutes!

Davide Vangi played some beautiful stuff behind Eusepi and set him up for his second goal with some amazing play.

In the second-half, I was able to experiment with the tactics due to our overwhelming superiority, so I decided to try a Ancelotti-style diamond with Costantini as DLP and Vangi as trequartista. Some of the football was fantastic. Lovely neat passing play. I love my 4-2-3-1 but it’s very tempting to think about the diamond as a possible solution for my side.

Costantini put the icing on the cake with the third at the beginning of the second-half and we cruised to the three points.

A great feeling after last week’s disappointment.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 2 and Nicholas Costantini.

Hellas Verona MoM: Umbert Eusepi.

Hellas Verona 1 – 1 Catanzaro (Serie C1/A)

Two points dropped here.

We were in charge really and when we finally got in front in the 70th minute, we should have won it. However, we conceded a silly goal with around 10 minutes to go, and couldn’t find a winner.

Frustrating really as it is one step forward and two steps back at the moment. We really ought to be winning our home games.

Hellas Verona scorers: Defender Adam Rafael Kokoszka.

Hellas Verona MoM: Lucca Ricci.

Foggia 1 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

This was so nearly a much needed win!

It was a similar pattern to the last game. We’re in charge, playing really well and went ahead in the second-half, but ended up fading and conceding a late equaliser.

Most frustrating because we deserved all three points here in my opinion.

Hellas Verona scorers: Flavio Mancuso.

Modena 2 – 1 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

This was a massive game against the table toppers and favourites for the title. A win here would have put us right back in it. Unfortunately, we couldn’t deliver.

It was very much the same pattern as the last game we played against them, where we lost 1-0. They grabbed an early goal and we couldn’t break them down to get the equaliser.

Unfortunately for us, Modena added a second this time around. A late goal from Davide Vangi had me on the edge of my seat hoping that we might get something from the game. Regrettably, it was only a consolation.

To come back from this and win the title would be a huge achievement. I think it is unlikely after this result though.

Hellas Verona scorers: Davide Vangi.

Hellas Verona MoM: Gabriele Rosati.

Hellas Verona 1 – 1 Arezzo (Serie C1/A)

This was our chance to get back on track with a win at home against the relegation strugglers.

In the end, it followed a remarkably similar pattern to a number of our games lately. We grabbed the lead in the second-half and then squandered all of our good work early on by conceding a late goal.

The squad is fragile at the moment and confidence is low. I’m obviously not supporting the team well enough with praise and encouragement. With our low team gelling and our recent difficulties, we are quickly playing our way out of the contention for the title. I think it is certainly a long shot, but if we can turn around this poor form, of course we have a chance. Easier said than done at the moment though.

Hellas Verona 2 – 1 Monza (Serie C1/A)

Much more comfortable than the scoreline suggests.

We went ahead early and played some terrific stuff. Disaster struck, however, when hardworking English midfielder Tom Culshaw got himself sent off for a second bookable offence just before half-time.

I took the decision to withdraw a wide player and to switch to a diamond minus a striker (i.e. 4-3-1-1, or as the game would call it 4-1-2-1-1). The idea was to pack the midfield and see out the rest of the game.

We were still dominant and got our second 20 minutes from time. Monza got a late consolation but we were never in danger of losing the three points.

It’s good to get back to winning ways at the Bentegodi.

Hellas Verona scorers: Defender Sergio Ferrara and attacking midfielder Alvaro Cejudo.

Hellas Verona MoM: Sergio Ferrara.

Manager Comments for Jan & Feb:

12 points from 8 games says it all really. It’s not title winning form. It’s not even promotion form really.

I can see improvements slowly coming into view. I believe that we still have a chance of challenging for the title. At the very least, our qualification for the playoffs should be assured. A good run of form though and you never know. We just need to get a grip on things again.

What is needed between now and the end of the season is consistency. I have to quickly find my best team and my best shape, whether that will be my usual 4-2-3-1 or the 4-3-1-2. Then I’m going to have to stick with it and try to get as many wins as possible to stand a chance. It’s going to be very tough indeed.

END OF FEBRUARY 2016 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| 1st   |       | Modena    |       | 25    | 14    | 7     | 4     | 30    | 17    | +13   | 49    | 
| 2nd   |       | Padova    |       | 25    | 13    | 8     | 4     | 38    | 15    | +23   | 47    | 
| 3rd   |       | Lucchese  |       | 25    | 13    | 7     | 5     | 27    | 15    | +12   | 46    | 
[b]| 4th   |       | Verona    |       | 25    | 12    | 8     | 5     | 41    | 25    | +16   | 44    |[/b] 
| 5th   |       | Spezia    |       | 25    | 11    | 8     | 6     | 29    | 17    | +12   | 41    | 
| 6th   |       | Catanzaro |       | 25    | 10    | 6     | 9     | 28    | 28    | 0     | 36    | 
| 7th   |       | Carrarese |       | 25    | 8     | 10    | 7     | 30    | 26    | +4    | 34    | 

I thought I would include down to 7th so you can see how my old club is getting along!

First Team Squad Statistics (all competitions):

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Apps    | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| GK    | Wnt   | Wil Laschet          | 25      | -     | -     | -     | 6.88  | 18    | BEL   | £190K | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| DR    | Wnt   | Gabriele Rosati      | 20 (3)  | -     | -     | -     | 7.04  | 19    | ITA   | £350K | 
| DL    | Wnt   | Francesco Zarini     | 27      | 1     | 7     | 4     | 7.11  | 27    | ITA   | £60K  | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Sergio Ferrara       | 31      | 2     | -     | 1     | 6.95  | 20    | ITA   | £275K | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | 33      | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.88  | 29    | POL   | £230K | 
| DMC   | Sus   | Tom Culshaw          | 18 (7)  | 1     | 2     | 1     | 6.90  | 21    | ENG   | £35K  | 
| DMC   | Rsv   | Derek Boateng        | 2       | -     | -     | -     | 6.70  | 32    | GHA   | £200K | 
| AMR   | Unh   | Kevin                | 7 (12)  | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.73  | 24    | ESP   | £300K | 
| AML   | Rsv   | Luca Ricci           | 23 (3)  | 3     | 8     | 5     | 7.46  | 20    | ITA   | £1.1M | 
| AMC   | Yel   | Davide Vangi         | 8       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 6.89  | 18    | ITA   | £950K | 
| ST    | Wnt   | Umberto Eusepi       | 31 (1)  | 22    | 6     | 7     | 7.38  | 27    | ITA   | £375K | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Peter Gulácsi        | 8       | -     | -     | -     | 6.89  | 25    | HUN   | £22K  | 
| S2    | Rsv   | Pablo Molina         | 0 (1)   | -     | -     | -     | 6.70  | 21    | ARG   | £775K | 
| S3    | Wnt   | Albert Cano          | 11 (10) | 1     | 2     | -     | 6.84  | 32    | ESP   | £26K  | 
| S4    | Wnt   | Nicholas Costantini  | 24 (5)  | 2     | 6     | 1     | 6.91  | 26    | ITA   | £350K | 
| S5    | Wnt   | Álvaro Cejudo        | 7 (14)  | 5     | 1     | 1     | 6.93  | 32    | ESP   | £30K  | 
| S6    | Wnt   | Jordy Goris          | 7 (1)   | -     | 1     | -     | 6.94  | 23    | BEL   | £26K  | 
| S7    | Wnt   | Wilker               | 20 (8)  | 4     | 4     | 1     | 6.95  | 28    | BRA   | £375K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Franco Lepore        | 14 (3)  | 3     | 2     | -     | 6.95  | 30    | ITA   | £230K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Julio                | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 29    | ESP   | £5K   | 
| -     | Inj   | Luca Gerbaudo        | 13 (2)  | 2     | 3     | 2     | 6.91  | 25    | ITA   | £20K  | 
| -     | Inj   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 2 (7)   | 4     | 3     | 1     | 7.19  | 26    | NOR   | £28K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Roy van der Steen    | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 20    | NED   | £110K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Lee Gardener         | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 20    | ENG   | £150K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giovanni Troiano     | 5       | -     | 2     | 1     | 7.44  | 19    | ITA   | £275K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are just outside the playoffs but they look unlikely to qualify for them with the gap being 7 points. They currently sit in 7th position in the division with 34 points from 25 games.

brigate_gialloblu.jpg

UPDATE FOR MARCH 2016:

Ravenna 1 – 2 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

I decided to stick with the 4-2-3-1 and to play Vangi as an advanced playmaker behind Umberto Eusepi.

Disaster struck at the end of the first-half for us when goalkeeper Will Laschet, normally ever reliable, put the ball into his own net from a Ravenna corner. It came against the run of play and I felt extremely unlucky that we were going in one down at half-time.

A great fight back in the second-half won us the points. A terrific brace from the excellent Umberto Eusepi got us the win. He is proving to be worth every penny I spent on him to bring him to Bentegodi from Carrarese when I first joined the club.

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi x 2.

Hellas Verona 2 – 1 Cosenza (Serie C1/A)

This made it three 2-1 wins in a row. We’re basically grinding out the results at the moment but that’s absolutely fine, as long as we keep winning. We’re putting ourselves back in contention for the title with this form.

We went ahead during the middle of the first-half through Umberto Eusepi. Cosenza pulled one back just before half-time.

Early in the second-half, our outstanding winger, Luca Ricci, scored a stunning goal to put us back in front, and we managed to hang on for the three points.

We never make things easy for ourselves!

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi and Luca Ricci.

Lumezzane 0 – 4 Hellas Verona (Serie C1/A)

This was almost all about Davide Vangi and Luca Ricci.

Our new signing, the youngster Davide Vangi, shone in his playmaking role setting up two of the goals.

Luca Ricci is such an outstanding threat down the left and I really would like to bring him to the club permanently from Fiorentina if possible.

A quick word for new signing Derek Boateng as well, who bossed the midfield in his deep-lying playmaker role.

All in all, an outstanding performance, admittedly against one of the relegation candidates in this division, but nonetheless a great victory.

Are we coming on to form at just the right time?

Hellas Verona scorers: Umberto Eusepi, Sergio Ferrara, Luca Ricci and Wilker.

Hellas Verona MoM: Centre-back Sergio Ferrara.

Hellas Verona 1 – 0 Pescara (Serie C1/A)

Umberto Eusepi grabbed a goal for us in the very first minute of the game and this was ultimately enough for us to get the three points against the bottom placed side.

Try as we might, we just couldn’t managed to break them down and get the second. As usual, we made life difficult for ourselves, but regardless, we got the win!

Not our best display but this makes it five wins in a row and I couldn’t care less how we get the points at the moment, as long as we are winning!

Manager Comments for March:

12 points from 4 games. An outstanding return and just what was needed after our recent slump.

This has put us right back into the title race but we’re still three points adrift of first placed Modena.

We have a very tricky run of games coming up to end the season. We have to play the likes of Lucchese away (our bogey team), Carrarese at home (my old club who are chasing the play-offs), Cremonese at home and Padova away. That’s a very tough run of games. We need to try to win all of them to stand a chance of taking the title.

Above us, Modena have the easier run of games. They play a number of the teams at the bottom of the table and therefore they have to be favourites for the title.

I’m not ruling anything out but I think it will be tough for us. However, if we can reproduce the form we have had over our last five games, then naturally we have a great chance!

END OF MARCH 2016 SUMMARY:

100px-HellasVerona.png

Serie C1/A Standings:

| 1st   |       | Modena    |       | 29    | 17    | 8     | 4     | 40    | 20    | +20   | 59    | 
[b]| 2nd   |       | Verona    |       | 29    | 16    | 8     | 5     | 50    | 27    | +23   | 56    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Padova    |       | 29    | 15    | 10    | 4     | 40    | 15    | +25   | 55    | 
| 4th   |       | Spezia    |       | 29    | 14    | 9     | 6     | 39    | 19    | +20   | 51    | 
| 5th   |       | Lucchese  |       | 29    | 14    | 8     | 7     | 31    | 20    | +11   | 50    | 
| 6th   |       | Carrarese |       | 29    | 11    | 11    | 7     | 39    | 27    | +12   | 44    | 

I thought I would include down to 6th so you can see how my old club is getting along!

First Team Squad Statistics (all competitions):

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                 | Apps    | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| GK    | Wnt   | Wil Laschet          | 29      | -     | -     | -     | 6.89  | 19    | BEL   | £210K | 
| DR    | Wnt   | Gabriele Rosati      | 24 (3)  | -     | 1     | -     | 7.10  | 19    | ITA   | £400K | 
| DL    | Inj   | Francesco Zarini     | 31      | 1     | 9     | 4     | 7.11  | 27    | ITA   | £55K  | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Sergio Ferrara       | 35      | 3     | -     | 2     | 7.00  | 20    | ITA   | £275K | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Adam Rafael Kokoszka | 37      | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.85  | 29    | POL   | £200K | 
| DMC   | Yel   | Tom Culshaw          | 21 (7)  | 1     | 3     | 1     | 6.92  | 21    | ENG   | £35K  | 
| DMC   | Rsv   | Derek Boateng        | 6       | -     | -     | -     | 6.87  | 32    | GHA   | £190K | 
| AMR   | Unh   | Kevin                | 10 (13) | 2     | 2     | -     | 6.69  | 24    | ESP   | £275K | 
| AML   | Rsv   | Luca Ricci           | 27 (3)  | 5     | 9     | 7     | 7.56  | 20    | ITA   | £1.3M | 
| AMC   | Yel   | Davide Vangi         | 12      | 2     | 4     | 1     | 6.94  | 18    | ITA   | £950K | 
| ST    | Wnt   | Umberto Eusepi       | 35 (1)  | 27    | 6     | 8     | 7.39  | 27    | ITA   | £400K | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Peter Gulácsi        | 8       | -     | -     | -     | 6.89  | 25    | HUN   | £22K  | 
| S2    | Rsv   | Pablo Molina         | 0 (3)   | -     | -     | -     | 6.73  | 21    | ARG   | £775K | 
| S3    | Wnt   | Albert Cano          | 12 (13) | 1     | 2     | -     | 6.81  | 32    | ESP   | £24K  | 
| S4    | Wnt   | Nicholas Costantini  | 24 (8)  | 2     | 6     | 1     | 6.90  | 26    | ITA   | £325K | 
| S5    | Wnt   | Franco Lepore        | 15 (3)  | 3     | 2     | -     | 6.94  | 30    | ITA   | £210K | 
| S6    | Wnt   | Jordy Goris          | 7 (1)   | -     | 1     | -     | 6.94  | 23    | BEL   | £24K  | 
| S7    | Wnt   | Wilker               | 20 (10) | 5     | 4     | 1     | 6.95  | 28    | BRA   | £325K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Álvaro Cejudo        | 7 (14)  | 5     | 1     | 1     | 6.93  | 32    | ESP   | £28K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Julio                | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 29    | ESP   | £4.5K | 
| -     | Inj   | Luca Gerbaudo        | 13 (2)  | 2     | 3     | 2     | 6.91  | 25    | ITA   | £20K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Dag Alexander Olsen  | 2 (7)   | 4     | 3     | 1     | 7.19  | 26    | NOR   | £35K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Roy van der Steen    | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 20    | NED   | £95K  | 
| -     | Rsv   | Lee Gardener         | -       | -     | -     | -     | -     | 20    | ENG   | £150K | 
| -     | Rsv   | Giovanni Troiano     | 5       | -     | 2     | 1     | 7.44  | 19    | ITA   | £300K | 

Carrarese Watch: My old club are just outside the play-offs but they look unlikely to qualify for them with the gap being 6 points. They currently sit in 6th position in the division with 44 points from 29 games.

Not read this for awhile been good catching up, it's a great title race. Based on the last few games there is a good chance you could go up. If Eusepi can keep up the goals and the defence can keep them out then you will go up I think. Good luck Crouchy.

Thanks Acidburn.

Eusepi is in great form and scored in every game during the last month. Defence is where we are weakest though and I rarely fancy us keeping a clean sheet at the moment, which is most unlike my teams. :D

To be honest, I'm gearing up for the play-offs but I'll obviously be going out to win every game and hoping that we can do it without going through the agony of play-offs!

Good luck with the rest of the season, I reckon you'll have the momentum to take pole position. I'm interested that you play a deep-lying AND advanced playmaker... How much play do you need made?!

:D

Thanks for the comments Fatski.

The deep-lying playmaker is the focal point of the team and the primary playmaker.

The advanced playmaker (Vangi) is more of a semi-playmaker (he isn't ticked as playmaker) and therefore he tends to stay in the hole and play to the wings and the lone striker. Vangi doesn't have the pace or acceleration to get forward all of the time, but he is technically amazing and very creative, so I'm asking him to play between the lines and be a pure creator.

It's Italy, of course, so there is a lot more patient build up and my tactic is based on keeping possession. I have a good technical team for the level so it makes sense.

Don't forget, that the appendix of T&T '10 has a few tactics suggesting a contemporary side can play both a DL playmaker and an advanced one. One of them is Ancelotti's diamond at Milan:

GK 	Dida 			Goalkeeper 		Defend 
DL	Paulo Maldini		Full Back 		Auto 
DCl 	Alessandro Nesta 	Centre Back 		Defend 
DCr	Jaap Stam		Centre Back 		Defend 
DR 	Cafú 			Wing Back 		Auto 
[b]DMC	Andrea Pirlo		Deep-lying playmaker 	Support [/b]
MCl 	Clarence Seedorf 	Central Midfielder 	Attack 
MCr	Genaro Gattusso		Ball-winning Midfielder	Defend 
[b]AMC 	Kaká 			Advanced Playmaker 	Attack [/b]
FCl	Hernan Crespo		Deep-lying forward	Support 
FCr 	Andriy Schevchenko 	Advanced forward 	Attack

I'm using 4-2-3-1 with my tactic though.

Just catching up here and all is looking good. If I were you, I'd be playing out all my remaining games with the 'latest scores' permanently on screen waiting for Modena to fall behind! Good luck with the run in - looks tough! :eek:

Cheers for the comment DodgeeD.

I think I might do individual posts for each of the remaining games of this season as it could be quite exciting.

We have by far the toughest fixtures left compared to Modena and Padova. I think it will be a big ask to win the title with the team gelling still so low as well but you never know!

I can't wait for this crouchy. I'm nervous and its not even my save! :D Hopefully the mighty Gialloblu will win through and then they'll be back on the bigger stage that is more fitting to the size of club they are.

Best of Luck!:thup:

A nice exciting title race you have here.

My eyes still burn from seeing a piece of info snatched from T&T evil's forum, but I'll have to forget that now that I'm here :D. I'll even go further and say that Barça's 433 is another tictac in which playing a deep lying defending playmaker (Xavi) and an attacking advanced playmaker (Iniesta) work. Actually that is the very one I've modelled my current FM10 tactic around.

Archived