This Is Exactly The Kind Of Thing That Ruins FM

Here are the stats at Half Time - Remember we just need a point.

34qtr1g.jpg

Full Time Stats

2cdtj5s.jpg

So we finish 5th and we are quite honestly ROBBED by the game of CL Football

Just to make it even better, Liverpool HAD to win their last game of the season, albeit away to Burnley, below are the stats for that game.

Hammer, can I ask you a couple of questions please.

Assuming the half time stats we're as convincing as this, what team talk did you give at 0-0 ?

Did you make any tactical change at all, either at half time, or after Spurs scored ?

Did you make any substitutions ?

From what I can see of the last two games, this is the only one you can have a grievence with, so i'd like to understand your approach and what you did.

Cheers

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this happens regularly in FM and yes it is annoying as hell. That still doesn't necessarily mean there's an underlying problem with the match engine. If there is a problem it's that the game does an ineffective job at communicating to the player so you are left confused and frustrated over a result and with no solid information on how best to avoid it happening in the future.

What I don't understand is if Hammer hates this game so much, and he really must because I don't think I've ever seen a positive post from him, and thinks its so messed up why does he continue to play it?

If you don't like it, if you think it's permanantly broken then turn it off and stop buying it. Then do us all a favour and stop posting your ridiculous rants. Simple really if you think about it.

But sometimes, I find it hard to believe, when it happens 3 or 4 seasons in a row... (In a FM09 game, it took me five seasons to be promoted, after missing for 1 or 2 points each season. I nearly did a real party when I finally get promoted... :p:p:p)

Birmingham City under Trevor Francis??

Unluck but you still have europa league which is good for second season at wolves.

Exactly right. He should look at the positives rather than the negatives. Getting Wolves to finish fifth is good in your fourth or fifth season, doing it in your second season is excellent. Hammer1000 is just a whinger!

What I don't understand is if Hammer hates this game so much, and he really must because I don't think I've ever seen a positive post from him, and thinks its so messed up why does he continue to play it?

If you don't like it, if you think it's permanantly broken then turn it off and stop buying it. Then do us all a favour and stop posting your ridiculous rants. Simple really if you think about it.

It's a good point, well made. :thup:

These results happen irl. Trust me I wanted to put a hole in the wall when I got beat by Chelsea, they had two shots and both went in. I had 23 and only put one away. But imagine how Mark Hughes felt after the 3-3 Bolton match. They conceded a clearly off-side goal, a wonder strike from cahill from distance and a crazy volley. Wacky stuff happens.

Love how people talked about his tactics being an issue at the start of this thread when he didnt even post what he did tactically.

Assumptions, the key to all FM discussions. :p

Do people realise that there are different personalities around the World?

Some people have positive outlooks, some people are negative. Some people are a lot more picky and tend to be perfectionists, others are easy going and don't get worked up by little bugs as its "just a game." I see this countless times on this forum and at home.

My brother is a nut case at time as he has a big temper and tends to post silly things or rant a lot about the game. I am a lot more easy going and tend to laugh at nerd rages. My nephew is the most easy going person of all and would probably play FM even if the game crashed every 15 seconds and the ball would float around as if it were on the moon.

People will be people, and differ in many many ways.

I always enjoyed the agree to disagree comment.

If SI were to remove all the negative/abusive and non constructive post, I reckon 50% of this forum would be purged. :p

Sadly this probably won't ever happen, which is why we need little internet police (moderators) to stop people from fighting. I see it everywhere from facebook, to youtube to people in general.

It would be nice if people argued a point in a civil manner most of the time, instead of going down the path of ranting and being antagonistic in nature. :)

Love how people talked about his tactics being an issue at the start of this thread when he didnt even post what he did tactically.

Assumptions, the key to all FM discussions. :p

Do people realise that there are different personalities around the World?

Some people have positive outlooks, some people are negative. Some people are a lot more picky and tend to be perfectionists, others are easy going and don't get worked up by little bugs as its "just a game." I see this countless times on this forum and at home.

My brother is a nut case at time as he has a big temper and tends to post silly things or rant a lot about the game. I am a lot more easy going and tend to laugh at nerd rages. My nephew is the most easy going person of all and would probably play FM even if the game crashed every 15 seconds and the ball would float around as if it were on the moon.

People will be people, and differ in many many ways.

I always enjoyed the agree to disagree comment.

If SI were to remove all the negative/abusive and non constructive post, I reckon 50% of this forum would be purged. :p

Sadly this probably won't ever happen, which is why we need little internet police (moderators) to stop people from fighting. I see it everywhere from facebook, to youtube to people in general.

It would be nice if people argued a point in a civil manner most of the time, instead of going down the path of ranting and being antagonistic in nature. :)

Well said although I'd say it would be more like 70% of the forum would be purged :p

It doesn't seem that unrealistic to me, either.

In the screenshot of fixtures, you had only won 3 away games - against Peterborough, Bolton and Burnley. So, to go to Villa Park - a local rival - and lose narrowly does not seem to far fetched. To then travel to Man City, who themselves had pretensions of grandeur and to lose is again quite believable. Then, to play in an intense pressure situation only 2 days after a hugely demoralising result against Man City, with a squad that I can only assume is not used to such situations, is a MAMMOTH task. To lose out on 4th narrowly is frustrating, without a doubt, but not really that peculiar.

The fact that this dismal run of from towards the back-end of the season has happened both years, could suggest a flaw in your approach to those games. Did you fail to alleviate the pressure on the players? Were you relying on players who, regardless of what you do, can't handle such BIG situations (e.g. have a low Important Matches attribute)? Were you making too many changes in an attempt to arrest the slide and subsequently unsettling the team's rhythm and balance? Were you not making enough changes, and relying on the old "it worked before" adage to pull you through? Do you have a proven and structured Plan B for when Plan A isn't working? Do you have a Plan C, etc...?

Obviously I can't gleam too much information from a set of specifically chosen screenshots, nor can I fully understand exact ins and outs of your game, but the results seem more than plausible to me, and a number of other people, and perhaps you would gain more enjoyment out of the game if you were able to fully comprehend what was going on, and learn from those situations.

To finish 8th, and then 5th with Wolves is a great achievement (although they always seem to do well in my games, too, which leads me to believe they are a tad overrated) and also shows clear progression. Progression that, ultimately, would be very warmly received by a club of such stature. But if you can't attempt to learn from these runs of poor form, then you're always going to be held back from progressing further - and dare I suggest it - from any form of the game.

Instead of picking the bad points,Why not talk about the good points?

In all seriousness i'm not sure there are any good points?

They get the team and player names about right and after that i dont think there is a single feature that works properly?

If anyone can suggest a feature that they think works without fault then i'd like to know what it is?

They get the team and player names about right and after that i dont think there is a single feature that works properly?

If anyone can suggest a feature that they think works without fault then i'd like to know what it is?

No you wouldn't, you just want someone to come inand go 'imo x works quite well' so you can go off on another massive rant.

I refer you back to my post from yesterday about stopping playing the game and not buying it if you think it's so broken.

TBH I think you just enjoy being negative. Lets be honest, if any of us thought the game was as broken as you do, and have for the last couple of years, we'd have stopped playing it by now.

No you wouldn't, you just want someone to come inand go 'imo x works quite well' so you can go off on another massive rant.

I refer you back to my post from yesterday about stopping playing the game and not buying it if you think it's so broken.

TBH I think you just enjoy being negative. Lets be honest, if any of us thought the game was as broken as you do, and have for the last couple of years, we'd have stopped playing it by now.

Listen fella, i have bought EVERY version of this game since it was first released, thats my perogative, this should also give me the right to complain if i think the game is poor.

The last few FM's have been lazily produced full of terrible bugs until the February patch which then makes it playable at least.

I still buy the game because i still hope that one of these days the game will be good again and as i never pay full price i dont fork out a fortune for such a poor product.

Like i said, give me a feature that you think works completely without fault and i'll tell you whats wrong with it.

Listen fella, i have bought EVERY version of this game since it was first released, thats my perogative, this should also give me the right to complain if i think the game is poor.

The last few FM's have been lazily produced full of terrible bugs until the February patch which then makes it playable at least.

I still buy the game because i still hope that one of these days the game will be good again and as i never pay full price i dont fork out a fortune for such a poor product.

You haven't answered the question. You think the game is poor and has been for a while but you still continue to buy it. If you buy it 'knowing' it's going to be poor (in your opinion) then I reckon that removes the right to complain. How can you have a complaint with something that you were fairly sure was going to be poor when you bought it. SI obviously disagree with you and it is a more a matter of subjectivity anyway.

Like i said, give me a feature that you think works completely without fault and i'll tell you whats wrong with it.

I don't intend to provide you any info, simply because I don't have any problem with the game. Mine isn't broken, equally I accept that there are some things that could be better. I'm not concerned about them though because its a game.

Hammer, do us all a big favour - apply for a job at SI, tell those useless, good for nothing game programmers they know sweet bugger all about developing a football computer simulation and then go fix the game for us. :thup:

I'm in the 2nd season of my Wolves save. I finished 8th in the first season just missing out on Europe as my form suddenly died and i won only one of my last six games(the very last one once Europe was unatainable)

In season two we are again overachieving and have been in the top four all season, we have won seven of our last eight games(the other a 1-2 loss away to Arsenal) and all we needed was ONE point from our last three games to qualify for the CL.

Our 36th EPL game of the season was Away to Villa, in a close contest we lost 1-2 to a last minute goal, fair enough.

Our 37th game is Away to Man City who have clawed their way into the top four, on first glance i expected very little from the game, but before kick off i notice that the condition of their players is very low(fixture congestion meant they had to play a few games in a very short period of time)

City Players Condition

The Match Stats

This is about as comprehensively as we have been beaten ALL season, City never tired and yet again the goals came in their usual fashion, 30 yarder, Def Error and Penalty out of nothing.

We still had our last game to go and i expected a tricky tie against Spurs, although we were at least at Home for this game.

Screenie Below

My few cents:

Defensive errors - i have to agree that some of the defending in FM can border on comical/idiotic, on this part it does help to tweak the tackling bit

Long shots - Positioning/Jumping/Agility ratings of the keeper play a part, from my current game (Dec 2012), Wayne Hennessey's positioning=12/jumping=14/agility=14. (for the sake of comparison, Cech's 16/17/20 in 2012). so why can't be you keeper is out of position and can't reach the ball when Tevez hits a screamer fm 30 yards?

Penalty out of nothing - Think portsmouth vs man utd, the ref does give a pen out of nothing imo (unless u think that all shirt tugging should be punished harshly so as diving; in that case we will have 10 pen on avg every game...:))

The game could be near perfect, but there are people who will say "near" isn't good enough. You will never convince Hammer (and a number of other on here) to stop blowing minor issues out of all proportion, or that their shortcomings in playing the game are not down to poor programming or bugs.

If - and I mean this in complete honesty - IF everyone who played the game had the same issue that Hammer has outlined here, I would be right behind him in his complaints. But since not every - or even MOST - players capitulate in these positions that is proof enough for me to show the game isn't broken. Add into this the fact that you can do the reload cheat thing and beat those teams by playing a little differently, this is 100% proof that the game isn't automatically cheating you or predetermining matches.

I can concede that it would help if the game had a facility where Hammer, and other poor managers, could ask "what's going wrong?" and the ass man or other coaches could say, "Your players are over-confident," or "the players are suffering from fatigue" or "the players are not confident they can continue over-achieving in this way" so he can adapt his tactics/team talks/press conferences to halt the slide.

(oh, and I'm not of the belief the game is perfect, we all know the main problems, but the one in the OP isn't one of them).

Dude, you can't cuss the game for being rubbish, you finished 8th and then 5 with Wolves, that's something I'd be chuffed with. I be thinking the fault is that the games too easy rather than bad. Just make sure you get your revenge on Tottscum next season. Simples!!

This is getting pretty stupid lol

if you think there are some serious bugs with the game that needs fixing, then report them properly. (Yes I agree there are lots of bugs in the game)

But if you think the game is just generally poor in all aspects, don't buy it!

You bought the game half knowing that it will be a disappointment. And for you, it was a disappointment apparently. So that means it was a poor decision on YOUR part by purchasing the game.

Nothing is really 'ruining' FM. This IS FM.

Your problem is that this is not what ruins FM, but this is what ruins your time. Play something else if you think the whole thing is poor.

I can concede that it would help if the game had a facility where Hammer, and other poor managers, could ask "what's going wrong?" and the ass man or other coaches could say, "Your players are over-confident," or "the players are suffering from fatigue" or "the players are not confident they can continue over-achieving in this way" so he can adapt his tactics/team talks/press conferences to halt the slide.

You may be on to something there, although they do already give feedback of this sort when it's relevent or deemed noteworthy.

However, I'm thinking a Q&A type advice place on these forums might be useful. ie. one thread set aside for people to post asking for tactical and general management advice and analysis, where people post questions and other posters try to give them an informed answer. I think this would save a lot of the unjustified and ill considered ranting that takes place and clutters up this forum, and anyone in need of help might benefit by not being overwhelmed with rather generic advice of 'visit the tactics forum' or similar. That would then leave this forum freed up for more specific and focussed discussion on specific issues and ways to improve the game, for example.

Yay or nay? :confused:

Do you have a young squad that may not be too good with handling pressure?

I have, and when presented with a chance to win the title they blew it in the last few games and ended up third. They then lost the FA Cup final just to top it off :(

:( That comment gave me flash backs of my Stuttgart side that was first all season then finished 3rd mainly due to that reason. I was still elated at finishing 3rd however. :)

You may be on to something there, although they do already give feedback of this sort when it's relevent or deemed noteworthy.

However, I'm thinking a Q&A type advice place on these forums might be useful. ie. one thread set aside for people to post asking for tactical and general management advice and analysis, where people post questions and other posters try to give them an informed answer. I think this would save a lot of the unjustified and ill considered ranting that takes place and clutters up this forum, and anyone in need of help might benefit by not being overwhelmed with rather generic advice of 'visit the tactics forum' or similar. That would then leave this forum freed up for more specific and focussed discussion on specific issues and ways to improve the game, for example.

You mean like the Tactics and Training area?

You mean like the Tactics and Training area?

A great number of threads in the tactics and training forum get closed as they're often vague posts by players really looking for general answers out of sheer frustration and/or befuddlement, or seeking quick fixes by means of specific tactics tailored to them. A lot of people will simply become more antagonised by reading through overwhelming philosophical advice, or by simply trial and erroring tactics that don't work for them.

If there was a place for people to ask simply 'what am I doing wrong?' or 'what could I do to improve..?' without fearing generic responses or their topic being closed, and not just for tactics but all the way from press conferences to scouting, then I think a number of people would find it immensly helpful to get even a small amount of specifically tailored advive, rather than being lost and frustrated by vague answers.

:)

So they created and took their chances, and from the looks of it went on the attack (particularly after losing a man), and were only let in by defensive errors or great goals. Much easier game than away at Man City.

If you're that fussed, load a save from before the match and try again, but what exactly are you complaining about? That you had a harder game and against superior opposition and didn't play as well as you needed to, presumably due to your tactics? :confused:

Was the game of importance to Man City (in any case I'd imagine they'd want to beat a worse team at home), and the other unimportant to Burnley (already relegated)?

While you have a point Hershie, have you forgotten that he has had a very successful season and was in the CL places with 3 games to go. This is all off the back of a very good season for Wolves previous to this one.

With these facts in mind I would hardly say his team, purely because they are Wolves are an 'inferior' team. Clearly his tactics must be good and to back that up his motivational skills as a manager must be good otherwise he wouldn't have had such success with what is on paper a poor team (I'm guessing he must have made some good signings though so to call them a poor team is probably harsh too).

What I suspect the OP is annoyed with is the fact the game often seems to have an agenda/pre determined idea of who should qualify/win what. Whether this is true or not has been debated on these forums for as long as I know, I certainly can't say if it is true or not but I have experienced it in my games playing as a lesser team (in terms of stature) thats for sure.

The only people who can answer whether or not the game does come up with final league tables/match results before they happen is SI. Just because they don't admit it doesn't mean it isn't true however, it would hardly be good marketing now would it admitting something like that?

Just a view from the other side of the fence ;)

:thup: I wasn't specifically targeting my response in the direction of this thread, rather my growing frustration at a number of similar threads where I feel if a more open stance was taken by the OP that I, and a number of others, could have advice to share with those frustrated at the game.

While the OP in this case may have had a good season and have a working tactic, I'm sure with a different approach to team talks, press conferences and minor tactical tweaks the outcome could have been very different. I'm proposing somewhere where, perhaps before a big game, someone could come in and post 'how should I approach this?'. If they then gain a better understanding of the game, and become happier with it in the knowledge they can get one over on the AI, the number of ranting posts would surely fall.

Maybe a section where people who are struggling can upload their game so other gamers can play it and give some advice. EG, Hammer's game, he's got 4 games to go, needs a point for a CL spot. Loses two games. Uh-oh. What's wrong? Upload the game and WWFan or someone looks at it and says, "your tactics are based on a lot of running, closing down, etc, and it's the end of the season and your players are dog-tired mentally and physically. Try playing a narrower game, slower paced." Or whatever, I don't know if this would work, but you get the idea.

Good idea here Hershie. If there was one place that people could go and ask all those general questions that they have I believe that it could in a small way make the forums a better place to be. So it gets a :thup:

Maybe a section where people who are struggling can upload their game so other gamers can play it and give some advice. EG, Hammer's game, he's got 4 games to go, needs a point for a CL spot. Loses two games. Uh-oh. What's wrong? Upload the game and WWFan or someone looks at it and says, "your tactics are based on a lot of running, closing down, etc, and it's the end of the season and your players are dog-tired mentally and physically. Try playing a narrower game, slower paced." Or whatever, I don't know if this would work, but you get the idea.

I think uploading the game would be too slow and frustrating for a number of people. Simply a description of basic tactics, the players available and the situation (with a few screenshots perhaps) would be enough in most cases probably. It would also make it much easier and quicker for anyone wishing to give feedback/advice without, perhaps, having the game available at the time.

:cool:

I was in a similar position on an old save, was top of the league, in a good run of form at home against a team that were playing fairly average, and only needed to win the game to win the title. I lost 1-0 after totally dominating the game, handing the title to Leverkusen... My strikers that were previously free scoring seemed to forget where the goal was. Sometimes this sort of thing happens, not fun when it does but it happens. Just have to get on with it

While you have a point Hershie, have you forgotten that he has had a very successful season and was in the CL places with 3 games to go. This is all off the back of a very good season for Wolves previous to this one.

With these facts in mind I would hardly say his team, purely because they are Wolves are an 'inferior' team. Clearly his tactics must be good and to back that up his motivational skills as a manager must be good otherwise he wouldn't have had such success with what is on paper a poor team (I'm guessing he must have made some good signings though so to call them a poor team is probably harsh too).

What I suspect the OP is annoyed with is the fact the game often seems to have an agenda/pre determined idea of who should qualify/win what. Whether this is true or not has been debated on these forums for as long as I know, I certainly can't say if it is true or not but I have experienced it in my games playing as a lesser team (in terms of stature) thats for sure.

The only people who can answer whether or not the game does come up with final league tables/match results before they happen is SI. Just because they don't admit it doesn't mean it isn't true however, it would hardly be good marketing now would it admitting something like that?

Just a view from the other side of the fence ;)

There's an easy way to test whether or not the game in any way pre-determines the results of particular matches - especially what look like close matches such as the OP's home tie vs Spurs.

Just reload the game and replay the match several times to see if the outcome varies.

In my experience of doing this, the results do vary - so there's no evidence as far as I'm concerned that the game pre-determines the results of matches.

What it does show, though, is that there's a fair bit of luck/randomness involved which will inevitably throw out some strange results from time to time.

2-0 up away to Liverpool with a few minutes to go.

Gerrard from 35 yards and a penalty to equalise.

I really hope SI sort this sort of predictable stuff. Your defence cannot be 'broken' so the match engine finds it's own predictable (as in happens regularly) way of doing it.

Sometimes this sort of thing happens, not fun when it does but it happens. Just have to get on with it
Exactly right. And if these things didn't happen at all, the game would be highly predictable, unrealistic and very boring.

2-0 up away to Liverpool with a few minutes to go.

Gerrard from 35 yards and a penalty to equalise.

I really hope SI sort this sort of predictable stuff. Your defence cannot be 'broken' so the match engine finds it's own predictable (as in happens regularly) way of doing it.

Liverpool (and indeed other high profile sides) have done this sort of thing many times IRL.

Liverpool (and indeed other high profile sides) have done this sort of thing many times IRL.

agree... it does happen IRL, smaller team hurried the game in the start, got an early goal, then 'park-the-bus' for good 80 min before resistance be broken in the last 5 min, big team equalized from some magical stuff and scored a winner during injury time... happens time and time and time and time.... again...

Good idea here Hershie. If there was one place that people could go and ask all those general questions that they have I believe that it could in a small way make the forums a better place to be. So it gets a :thup:

I'm wondering how much interested there would be though, and how many people would be willing to offer answers. :confused: I think it'd work..

Really? I am not denying that long shots and closing need to be tweaked, but how do you explain me doing this with default standard 442, if defending is "so bad"(check all zero's and final goal against tally), and i had total of 3 long shot goals scored against me.

(snip)

And Squad is far from being full of "superstars", and still won ECC, EPL, LC and FA Cup :

(snip)

Final Table:

(snip)

I can provide pkm's if you need them...

What skin are you using mate?

What skin are you using mate?

Flex Vitreous.

And for those that are conceding 1,2,3 goals in last few minutes, i am using same shutdown tactic (on all leagues levels) since FM 05 and i have yet to concede goal in last 10 minutes of the match with FM 10.

In previous editions ratio was 1 in 20+ matches average. PM me and i will link it, if you want to, but stop saying that is "impossible" to keep AI from scoring.Because it's not.

Hershie- rememeber my PM and Telac, mate?

Out of interest is Hershie actually going to get suspended at all for basically trolling every post that someone makes that shows the game in a bad light?

I mean come on, check any post on these forums that has an issue with the game and you will find Hershie in there proclaiming its either the persons system not being good enough or not up to date or its the persons tactics and they dont know what they are doing. Or just proclaiming that they are trolling.

Kinda sad that nothings been done.

Out of interest is Hershie actually going to get suspended at all for basically trolling every post that someone makes that shows the game in a bad light?

I mean come on, check any post on these forums that has an issue with the game and you will find Hershie in there proclaiming its either the persons system not being good enough or not up to date or its the persons tactics and they dont know what they are doing. Or just proclaiming that they are trolling.

Kinda sad that nothings been done.

I haven't seen Hershie 'trolling' anywhere. Every post I see him make is sensible, well thought-out and usually tries to suggest ways of helping people out with their tactical and motivational issues or other problems that they are having with the game.

I certainly don't think that you ought to be going around asking for people to be suspended on the forums either. :thdn: You certainly aren't qualified to do so and there is really no need for that at all.

C.

Love you too C. ;)

Seriously though, Telac, do you seriously not see the difference between a well-mannered constructive post and bad-natured ranting? I'm not getting involved anymore in any topic where I'll just end repeating myself and growing repeatedly frustrated.

:cool:

Archived