I have singlehandedly created the.........

most pathetic and ineffective tactic ever. And, of course, like most masterstrokes, this work of genius was completely unintentional.

The team is Zenit, the manager undoubtedly a moron and the formation is a 4-2-3-1. The squad is short but with good technique, passing and fitness levels. The only player that has to start is Danny (AMC) but I have quality on the wings and little quality upfront.

The idea was to play a short passing game with a slow prodding tempo. The lone striker being used as a pivot and provide my AML, AMC and AMR with goals (and yes, if you're reading this TheBetterHalf, this is the same formation I was trying to use on FM09). I wanted to use a deepish d-line to allow my Wingers (who are playing as inside forwards) plenty of space to run into, preferably to exploit space centrally when my FC drops deep. The AMC (Danny) acts as an auxiliary striker, making runs into the box from deep or supplying the final through ball. The 2 MCs act as shields to my back line, while the FBs hug the touchline and (hopefully) squeeze the wingers inside.

Well, that was the theory. What actually happens is that I leak goals and score very little. I even manged to lose a friendly 3-0 against some average Polish side, so something is very wrong with my formation. Having said that, when using it in the league, I haven't been losing but I have drawn a lot of games. I suppose that this is because lots of teams are playing defensively against me because of Zenits rep.

Looking at the team, his is definitely the formation that suits my players the most. I have great options in AMC positions and need to utilise the team's greatest assets.

Anyway, please help this tactical idiot/genius if you have a spare 5mins.

http://www.filefront.com/15102445/4-3-2-1%20Att%20%28Zenit%2C%20Jan%202010%29.tac (I think this is the latest incarnation)

Played a few games with my Everton team and it is the same result. I've gone from winning most games to drawing almost all of them. I am creating loads of chances and dominating possession but can not put the ball in the net. I think the problem is the tempo and deep d-line. By the time my forwards are in position to get a decent shot away there are too many defenders back defending meaning most shots are being blocked.

I'm going to experiment a few more games with higher tempo and d-line and will get back to you

Archived