Areas Of Improvement.

I've acknowledged that there are issues - you seem to be inventing your own and then refusing to share them. I'm all for a constructive debate - however unfortunately that requires constructive input from two sides. I've explained my reasoning and you've said essentially 'I disagree'.

As well as acknowledging what issues there are, I've added my two cents into those 'issues' which are more a case of getting to grips with the ME and getting your team to play, and not neccessarily issues which are there to be fixed. I'm being as open-minded as possible, and offering reasoned and rational advice and support..

Nice post op, I have all the aspects you mention in my game, especially closing down bit. Even with a team of players with great mental stats and team work 20, they still press like chess pieces, moving one player at a time, never doubling up or going for the tackle. Unless its a tackle from behind when the ball is out of reach, then it's fair game..... :rolleyes:

Nice post op, I have all the aspects you mention in my game, especially closing down bit. Even with a team of players with great mental stats and team work 20, they still press like chess pieces, moving one player at a time, never doubling up or going for the tackle. Unless its a tackle from behind when the ball is out of reach, then it's fair game..... :rolleyes:

Are you honestly telling me you watched a full match and never seen a single tackle or a player closing down... :confused:

The OP certainly makes some valid points especially at the beginning. However, he seems to go a little astray in the ME part.

Yes, I have seen problems in the ME but not near as many as he suggests. I have seen my GK drop the ball on occasion and I have seen some poor defending but it's not been every game by any means. I have seen some bad misses by my strikers and some long shots that have screamed in but not too many. I have yet to see excessive scoring by my strikers - 20 per season at the most. I have seen a lot of poor refereeing decisions (reminds me of real life!) and probably a few too many penalties. Also saw an excessively high penalty shoot out at level 9 - (12-11 I think).

I freely admit I am not that great with the tactics side of things and that is no doubt at least part of my problem. I do think there is too much emphasis on tactics and not enough on player ability but no evidence, it's just a feeling.

I don't believe the game is 'broken' (whatever that means) - it does have issues and if past years are anything to go by, they will, for the most part, be addressed by the upcoming patch(es).

What defensive issues in particular? I have already (and would be willing to continue with doing so) offered advice on how to counter and negate certain issues.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that if you're playing with less than perfect players, or even if you are, everyone makes mistakes. Even if your tactics work perfectly, you can't expect average players to play like superstars and/or play attractive, fluid, flowing football.

Yes everybody makes mistakes even in real life, but you dont see JT under no pressure booting the ball back over the goal line and giving away a corner, that you then concede at, do you?

However in FM10 you do. I suppose it must be my tactics, how stupid of me to tick the give away corner box when setting up to play.........

Yes everybody makes mistakes even in real life, but you dont see JT under no pressure booting the ball back over the goal line and giving away a corner, that you then concede at, do you?

However in FM10 you do. I suppose it must be my tactics, how stupid of me to tick the give away corner box when setting up to play.........

John Terry makes a number of mistakes - maybe not those specifically but others. Being caught out of position and making the occasional poor decision are prime examples. Try making him play less direct, give him someone near by to pass to, adjust your time wasting, and/or slow down down your play if you're noticing excessively high amounts of rushed balls, poor decisions and panicky play at the back.

So yes, it may well be your tactics. What do you expect to achieve by refusing to accept it may be and instead persisting with poor attempts at sarcasm? :confused:

I get many defensive probs no matter what TACTICS I employ...........push up/drop deep etc

man mark/zonal...................and I am playing as Man U(perhaps the game knows there are 8 defenders out :rolleyes:)

i.e. if I man mark the said defender is the other side of the pitch as his player goes unapposed into the box????

also have twice been subject to the pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew what a screamer as a 30 yard plus shot flies in to the top corner by players with crap stats for long shots:thdn:

Both in games where I have had 20 plus shots on target......scored 1

opposition.....2 shots............guess the score:mad:

But has anyone else had this happen you get a free kick(I have no-one set to stand by taker)

as the taker strikes the ball 1 of my players stands directly infront gets hit in the back and gifts the ball to the other team.......................whts that all about, also noticed the second time it wasnt any of my pre selected takers taking the kick:confused:

I love the way people say \"my game\" - mine is the same as yours! LOL

There are a few ME issues with the defending, they are however minor. If you are leaking goals worse that a holey roof then I am going to say it......

wait for it......

Its your tactics my friend. ;)

I do not leak goals, and I save the EXACT same game as you! :)

By my game I mean my save, my current game, my current play.............LOL!

Minor defending issues are things that may happen once in a blue moon but 3-5 times a match is not.

I leak goals if I sit back to defend, push on and attack to releave pressure or try to play a more standard type of play.

Defenders giving away corners is pump, and yes 3-5 a game!

Closing down because of long shots and the players will not very often close down, another goal down.

When they do close down, leave a gap and rip open my defence, GOAL!

I have tried to balance closing down and not, but its seems only to variables, do or don't. What can i do to stop this?

Accuracy of long shots and defensive blunders is not my tactics, as have have not selected the self destruct button.:confused:

John Terry makes a number of mistakes - maybe not those specifically but others. Being caught out of position and making the occasional poor decision are prime examples. Try making him play less direct, give him someone near by to pass to, adjust your time wasting, and/or slow down down your play if you're noticing excessively high amounts of rushed balls, poor decisions and panicky play at the back.

So yes, it may well be your tactics. What do you expect to achieve by refusing to accept it may be and instead persisting with poor attempts at sarcasm? :confused:

JT will, can, and has made mistakes but not 1-2 times and in every other game.

I try to play a simple stick to position, with less creativity to combat getting ripped apart, short passing, switch to middle or wings depending on the match i see before my eyes but the AI has combatted my change as the game is resetting for my changes, or thats what it seems.

I can't seem to understand much from the ME during the game, I watch full or extended and it just looks totally random to me. :confused:

JT will, can, and has made mistakes but not 1-2 times and in every other game.

I try to play a simple stick to position, with less creativity to combat getting ripped apart, short passing, switch to middle or wings depending on the match i see before my eyes but the AI has combatted my change as the game is resetting for my changes, or thats what it seems.

I can't seem to understand much from the ME during the game, I watch full or extended and it just looks totally random to me. :confused:

Too little creativity with top players is likely to severely hinder you and may mean you're less dangerous going forward and more likely to give possession away.

As for mistakes, players make minor mistakes all the time - but most of them aren't of any consequence. Misplaced passes, slips, being caught on the wrong foot etc will happen all the time but are only remembered if they lead to something significant. Perhaps if you have a high errors to goals conceded ratio you could do with extra cover at the back.

:)

If you are planning on flaming this post then please dont bother because i cant really be bothered with you. If you have something to add to the list then by all means post, this is my opinion and i do not need any silly little fanboys replying with SI do this that and the other because the simple fact of the matter is this game is quite broken.

I do like FM10 and think its alot better than 09 but the game wasnt ready for release and shouldnt of been released, this idea that its ok to release a game and get it working with patches that eventually end in may is ok isnt true and shouldnt be acceptable.

All i want is for this game to work properly.

Thank you.

Notice this from the first post? and the subsequent post that i made? Hershie, all you do post after post is defend SI, do you work for SI? so you know exactly what is going on at SI?

Your game may not be having any of these problems which is excellent news for you but some of us and looking round the forums it seems to be a fairly large number are, we do not need to be constantly antagonised by people such as yourself who come on here saying its all to do with you and your system because quite frankly my system is 100% up to date, my system is absolutely awesome.

I ask you to stop pesturing people in this thread who are having problems because all your doing is getting on peoples nerves, their is a thread called "If you love SI then state it", maybe that is better suited for you?

A very long post by the OP, and it is clearly thought through without too much of a rant.

Some of your points are valid, other arent so. However I wont quote each one as there are too many!

I keep on seeing these defending issues pop up. Are you using the tactics creator? If so then try switching back to the sliders as you will be more familiar with them if you have player the latest additions of FM.

I was struggling with defending using the creator, so I switched back to the sliders and my defending has been faaar faaar better.

Just an idea ;)

I would just like to mention that using the tactics creator i went an entire season losing only one game and conceeding 16 goals in all competitions. Please do not tell me that their is a problem with my tactics because i know how to play the game mate, i know how to build a good solid team and i know my tactics are second to none, in fact i have 3 different formations, all using different settings to counter act the AI.

Now i also understand that i am going to conceed because that is the nature of football but their are simply too many mistakes and the game doesnt appear to want you to go more than 10 games without conceeding, once you hit that stage your defence seems to go to pieces.

If you dont agree with the OP thats fine, i would appreicate it if people wouldnt post in here saying that its problems with my system or with my tactic, sorry but both of those boxes have been ticked lol.

I'd have to agree with most of the OP's post.

I think that the result is based on too many minor factors like... the weather, size of pitch (I mean come on have you ever seen Wenger say 'we didnt win today cos the pitch was a few yards smaller!!), and silly little things. FM used to mainly be about getting a good team and goo tactic and bobs your uncle. I think they have turned up the importance on the MINOR things too much.

Great game though.

I would just like to respond to Hershie stating that i should offer how i want things improving.

At no point during my post did i offer or suggest how to improve the game, i am neither a fanboy of SI nor am i on the pay roll at SI, yes i have plenty of ideas how to improve the game but the likelyhood of me offering these ideas to a company for "the benefit of the masses" is slim to say the least.

The fact that this game (even after a year of polish) is broken for alot of people is another indication that this is all about money making and not about making the best possible game, hence why i will not be offering any suggestions for the SI team to ponder on.

They are paid to make a game that works for everybody.

We pay to play a game that works.

I can say on my own behalf that the game doesnt work particularly well for me and i have seemingly wasted £30 until May when they decide to bring the game fixing patch out.

Its simply unacceptable that two companies here (SI and SEGA) believe its ok to release a game and not have it working properly until the following May. And people such as yourself believe its admirable for them to continue working on these patchs to improve the game....... the fact of the matter is they simply have to work on these patchs because THEY released a game that isnt fit for release in the first place.

How many people here are playing the 10.0 version of the game?

How many people here are playing the 10.1 version of the game?

How many people here are playing the 10.1.1 version of the game?

The game out of the box wasnt fit for consumption.

Again, if you do not agree with the OP thats fine, congrats on having a working/ fully functional game but please do not post in here laying blame on other peoples systems or tactics, it isnt helpful. This thread is for people who are having issues to state their issues so SI can see what needs improving (again not how to improve it, just what needs improving).

I grow bored of this constant "FM10 is the greatest game ever and its you and your system or your tactic, you cant play football games, it runs perfectly on my system and i love SI more than life itself"

Now i have no doubt i will receive another infraction but i dont really care, you are boring me.

Why do I bother? I give constructive and open-minded feedback and all I get is the same old twaddle.

You're continually saying 'this is broken' but not how or why, or what would be an improvement. If you have ideas and want to play and see an improved game, why not post them? It might transform your posts into those with more merit than ranting and trolling. Did you read anything I said?

Much of what you're calling 'broken' is subjective, and yes, it may be your tactics if your players are playing poorly. You seem to forget we're all playing the same game, so if some of us can have success, why can't the others? Because their game is broken? Please. :rolleyes:

Narrow-mindedness and delusion is a horrible combination of traits to have. The game isn't 'broken' for anyone - it has a few issues that are leaving some with issues severely impacting game play, but it's not broken and a number of the issues are, as has been said before, not the fault of the product. The initial game had a few issues - almost all of which have already been fixed. The game out of the box works fine though - and I can't really see any way you can claim it doesn't, unless it's a fault of the user's hardware.

I'm sorry for being more open to suggestion and constructiveness than you, who seem to be confusing their own ill-informed opinion with widely held and untouchable/unquestionable fact, and you're making yourself look a fool. SI know full well that there are issues - but threads which offer nothing in the way of constructive criticism and merely act to reinstate the same often incorrect points are simply a waste of time and a hinderance.

I've kept my cool up to now, offering reasonable advice and open minded feedback to resolve and counter a number of subjective issues which you are wrongly calling bugs. They're perhaps areas that could do with tweaking, but again without subjective comments what's the point of this thread? Do you expect SI to read your mind, or expect poorly executed attempts at sarcasm to suddenly spark the building of flowing lines of faultless coding and the implementation of a whole load of new and brilliant ideas? Or rather, will SI read this and think 'well that was a waste of time'? All your posts are doing, particularly the "again not how to improve it, just what needs improving" line, is encouraging ranting and trolling..

Oh, and watch some real football. Notice how players aren't perfect, and how those who are distinctly average will play as such at times, regardless of tactics. Too many people seem to expect a good tactic to mean that their players play like superstars.

I can understand you getting frustrated Telac, I have the same problems with people saying its your tactics etc, and i'm not having a go at Hershie, he is just trying to help but he can come off a little patronising at times, I love FM and have done well in previous versions only to have my tactic that has worked perfectly turn to jelly and nothing ever worked again, but this year the ME just sems random and takes such minor things into account more than actual quality of the players.

IMO player quality should always come before tactics or anything else, the best players win 7 out of 10 times IRL and tactics the other 3.

I can understand you getting frustrated Telac, I have the same problems with people saying its your tactics etc, and i'm not having a go at Hershie, he is just trying to help but he can come off a little patronising at times, I love FM and have done well in previous versions only to have my tactic that has worked perfectly turn to jelly and nothing ever worked again, but this year the ME just sems random and takes such minor things into account more than actual quality of the players.

IMO player quality should always come before tactics or anything else, the best players win 7 out of 10 times IRL and tactics the other 3.

Tactics are what allow players to play - from there they can win or lose matches. Better players will be more likely to make a tactic work and be better at creating out of nothing, but without a good tactic they'll be horribly ineffective.

I've tried to help with the tactical and ME side to the game (it's taken me a while to get used to but I think I've got it) and I'm still willing to help those who will appreciate it.

As for being patronising, I can only say that if you post like an irrational child, prepare to be treated like one. ;)

Tactics are what allow players to play - from there they can win or lose matches. Better players will be more likely to make a tactic work and be better at creating out of nothing, but without a good tactic they'll be horribly ineffective.

I've tried to help with the tactical and ME side to the game (it's taken me a while to get used to but I think I've got it) and I'm still willing to help those who will appreciate it.

As for being patronising, I can only say that if you post like an irrational child, prepare to be treated like one. ;)

I have on occasion on these forums thrown my toys out of the pram and been a massive child, but Hersie mate, I have seen you, on the same post mind you, advise someone to close down the players more to stop long shots and close down less so you don't pulled out of position, you can't do both, well I can't.:p

I have on occasion on these forums thrown my toys out of the pram and been a massive child, but Hersie mate, I have seen you, on the same post mind you, advise someone to close down the players more to stop long shots and close down less so you don't pulled out of position, you can't do both, well I can't.:p

I said they're posibilities - base your decision on your reading of the game and your players strengths.

Maybe have a DM close down more and the defensive line stand off more. ;)

Really the best players win 7 out of 10? what is SAF's record with man utd? please find out if it is more than 70% wins, or other top teams like Real, Barca, Chelsea. They can have a excellent season, but they cannot guarantee 70% i believe.

If you do not know about the game, go explore and find out more, do not say it is broken.

The backroom advice is quite raw, but it is a new feature, so give it some time to develop and improve. ( I do get sick of my coaches keep recommending me the same players/staffs) Maybe they can implement more interaction than just accept or dismiss advice,

or something like "ya, i agree we do need a new man-management specialist/new DM/new ST etc, but this player/staff is not to my liking, mind getting back to me when you find another option?"

If you are lazy to find 7/10 winnings records. I bet SAF with Man utd isn't more than 60%.

Really the best players win 7 out of 10? what is SAF's record with man utd? please find out if it is more than 70% wins, or other top teams like Real, Barca, Chelsea. They can have a excellent season, but they cannot guarantee 70% i believe.

Indeed, it's nowhere near 70%

mid 50s is exceptional for a manager.

Indeed, it's nowhere near 70%

mid 50s is exceptional for a manager.

I didn't mean per team!

In general, the better teams win the majority of their matches due to the fact they have better players, you could have the worlds best tactic, but if the other team is better, regardless of your OR their tactics, you're probably gonna lose.

I didn't mean per team!

In general, the better teams win the majority of their matches due to the fact they have better players, you could have the worlds best tactic, but if the other team is better, regardless of your OR their tactics, you're probably gonna lose.

Greece national team in 2004 says hi.

I will quite happily upload a save to show you that it isnt tactics, i've lost a total of 3 games in a season.

Why is it you all believe it to be my tactics that are causing these clear mishaps in the ME?

Can all fanboys please leave this thread?

I grow tired of explaining that its not tactics.

I grow tired of explaining that its not my system.

Simple fact of the matter, i have won everything you can in a season, and i do it season after season. As i have previously said, if you do not agree with the OP then thats fine, but i dont need all of you clogging up this thread with "FM is great and its your system or your tactics" My win % is high 80's btw lol

IF YOUR GAME WORKS THEN WHY DO YOU NEED TO POST HERE?

This thread is for people who are having issues with the game, lets keep it that way.

Thank you.

(No doubt Hershie will post every other post in reply after this lol, can anybody say fanboy?)

Greece national team in 2004 says hi.

Yes, thats one very, very rare example of a poor team beating better teams with a frankly due 'lets cancel everything the opposition does and not go forward' tactic, again i'm talking in general the better sides win.

Going on that example Hull should be top of the league and Man U struggling because the other teams have cracked their tactic so that nothing Man U try works, football doesn't work that way, the better teams usually win.

Your refusal to listen to advice, reason, logic, sense etc is embarrassing. I frankly cba repeating myself anymore.

How do you know it's not your tactics or your system? Even if you're good going forward you can still be crap at the back, so you may still win with a dodgy defensive approach.

My game is your game. We're playing the same goddamn game! Why don't you understand that? We're playing the same game, but the difference is I understand why my team might be playing badly and making mistakes (and I've offered advice on how to resolve this) while you insist that it's the game being 'horribly broken' without any proof. I'm simply trying to actually add something constructive to your topic of cliched ranting and trolling.

:mad:

Oh and it makes me laugh that you say that i am narrow minded, correct me if i am wrong but havent you just repeated yourself throughout this entire discussion?

"Its your system"

"Its your tactics"

I appears to me as though it is you who is "narrow minded"

LOL

Your advice is change your tactic? Is that real advice? When i lose 3 games a season?

So we are playing the same game?

Are you playing as Chelsea?

Have you won everything you possibly can?

Are you a legend?

Do you have constant crash dumps?

Do you have issues with the ME not playing football as its suppose to?

Have you made the same signings i have?

Do you play the same formation as i do?

Please, if you know how i am playing my game and are copying this then i take back everything i have said, but if like i believe your game is different to mine then i suggest you stop trolling this thread Hershie.

By all means, add something constructive, and when i see you do that i will acknowledge it, but until then, stop trolling every poster who has a problem with the game, after all, nobody has the same game as you. Same product, not the same game.

Do you not see that the game is the constant here? Any scientific experiment will point out that the variables are causing the difference in result, which mean the variables are the users, me and you, and everyone here?

you do not listen to us, and in return say we are not listening to you???

Do you even play soccer IRL?? I have a team mate, who just likes to "runs with ball often, runs with ball down left/right" he cannot even score a tap, just dribbles and dribbles. My whole team ask him to pick up "look for simple passes" "dribble less often" "looks to beat the offside traps" yeah, he agrees with us that he should change his game. but after three years of trying, feedback is he finds it hard, he cannot see passing targets easily, instinctively wants to dribble past the nearest opponent.

i feel FM10 is very real, things in soccer are so dynamic that things don't go your way, seldom. just keep understanding the game, if others can get results, you should get too.

I do play FM sinces CM days, but I do not know fanboys, I do agree that the comestics of FM10 is quite badly done, like nothing in between fans getting disappointed or delighted, fans do have more than 2 expressions right?

But comestics and ME and transfer systems are different things, ME/transfer systems you can learn and work your way out, before claiming it to be broken as it worked for many others. cometics are quite broken, unfortunately.

I've had to repeat myself because you won't listen.

I've said how it could be your system, and explained in detail how your tactics may need improving/changing. I've also acknowledged that there are issues which we are already all well aware of, and that you're both exaggerating and adding nothing constructive to the discussion of.

You counter that by essentially saying "you're wrong" and leaving it at that. Well played.

:rolleyes:

I've had to repeat myself because you won't listen.

I've said how it could be your system, and explained in detail how your tactics may need improving/changing. I've also acknowledged that there are issues which we are already all well aware of, and that you're both exaggerating and adding nothing constructive to the discussion of.

You counter that by essentially saying "you're wrong" and leaving it at that. Well played.

:rolleyes:

LOL, isnt it time you stopped trolling this post?

The reason nobody is listening to you is because your saying nothing of any importance.

Every post;

FM10 is the greatest game i have ever played.

Anyone who disagrees with my point of view is trolling

I am sure if you ask politely enough that SI will give you a job, all you have to do is ask Hershie.

Do you seriously fail to realise that I have offered constructive feedback, rational argument and tried to create the potential for an informed discussion on the issues being spoken of, while you have added nothing constructive beyond the opening few lines of your opening post? A major purpose of the forum is to allow reasoned and informed discussion, and does not allow for pointless ranting, name calling and troll-like behaviour. Nor does it appreciate lies, unvalidated claims or outright dismissals of views that disagree with your own without good reason.

If you want anyone to take you seriously, and if you want to remain a member of these forums, I recommend you play by the rules. :)

And with that rebuttal, I'm off to bed.

So if you are such a super legend who has won everything there is to win in the game, presumably you realise after being with a club for a few years the players start to listen to you, you get the option to ask the board what specific type of feeder club you would like and you start getting better deals in the transfer market when you start getting relationships with the other managers?

Stop getting personal here, the entire world calls it, i am not american and aussies, meaning my country is not part of this world? but we were a former british colony, and we can call it soccer or football here. But that is not the whole point.

You seriously cannot be objective here.

Anyway, you can't see the problem is that you don't go and understand why you lose a game in FM, and try to rectify it from there. I am saying an example IRL, football or soccer, that HUMANS, are not robot, doesn't mean you set short passing, run down flanks, long shots rarely, they will do it every single time!

Telac, you are a prefectly example yourself of not listening to people, let alone FM10 trying to be as realistic as possible(players do not listen to managers).

If you don't even listen to advice from people who can win in the game, and you are expecting your FM players to listen to whatever instructions you gave them?? this is really funny here mate. they are not robots, the game is to be as close to reality as possible, and not listening is a reality.(you are doing it)

I'm not being personnal, but the sport is called football, the english invented it and named it, the first governing body was the FA, the FOOTBALL association, the first international was England v Scotland, the rest of the world call it football for areason, that is what the sport is called.

I'm not being personnal, but the sport is called football, the english invented it and named it, the first governing body was the FA, the FOOTBALL association, the first international was England v Scotland, the rest of the world call it football for areason, that is what the sport is called.

Lets cut the BS for a second here, the English are also the first to call it soccer, something which the FA did for years. Please can you get your facts accurate before you besmirch people for having a slightly different terminology than you.

I do get you flashback790. And i do know the history of football, just it happens it my country it is called in both ways. Hope you understand alright? cos if i shouted "lets play football" to my mates, i will have a few weird looks. But i am adaptable, lets call it football here.

Haha monkeywool, be it football or soccer, the game is a language that speaks for itself! 22 man 1 ball? haha. we all enjoy the game, thats why we should be constructive, so we can have a better game in the future, but i still feel you have to put in your fair share of effort to play(understand) FM10 before saying it is broken, it is not perfect but still good enough for enjoyment/tinkering/sleeplessnights, and can be better.

Archived