Basque 4-4-2

Hey all, I would like to share my tactic I've been using as Athletic Bilbao. I created it at first during the demo and finished in 3rd when the demo ended. First season in the full version, I finished 4th and qualified for the Champion's League, getting knocked out on away goals by ManU in the first knockout stage. Right now, I'm toward the end of my second season and have been bouncing back between 3rd and 4th for the past few months. I also began playing as a lower league American team for a database I'm experimenting, and won all three of my first competitive matches. I'm sure that this tactic would be a winning one if used on teams that can have more players than just Basques (as is the case with Athletic).

I uploaded two versions of the tactic to fm-base, and there are greater descriptions of each one there. Basically, the key to this tactic is knowing which touchline instructions to use and when. Links are below and there are greater descriptions in each link. There is no registration required for download, unless you're downloading more than three files in a day.

Attacking version (used at home and when goals are needed)

Counter-attacking version (used away and against tougher opposition)

Oh, and if it matters, I use this tactic with Tug's Training schedule for FM10.

EDIT: Some people are having trouble with FM Base download. I suggest still looking there (there are some details I wrote there not posted here) but here are alternative download links.

Attacking: http://www.filefront.com/15053825/Basque%204-4-2%20%28attacking%29.tac

Counter: http://www.filefront.com/15404591/Basque%204-4-2%20%28counter%29.tac

A little more information would be nice. Such as fixtures, player attributes, what team talk do you use? etc.

I have some screens from my league standings and some of my better fixtures:

All fixtures #1 (from demo)

All fixtures #2 (from demo)

All fixtures #3 (from demo)

All fixtures #4 (from demo)

Final table (demo)

Final table (season 1, full version)

Valencia Match (current season)

Real Madrid match (current season)

Here are the player instructions I use, and searching for players attributes should be used accordingly (I don't do this as much, simply because the pool of Basque players is so small I just try to find the best overall players for their positions):

GK (goalkeeper/defend)

DR (wing back/automatic)

DL (wing back/automatic)

DC (central defender/defend)

DC (central defender/defend)

MR (winger/attack)

ML (winger/attack)

MC (ball winning MF/defend)

MC (box-to-box MF/support)

ST (deep lying FW/support)

ST (target man/attack)

Team instructions:

Philosophy: balanced

Starting strategy: attacking

Passing style: more direct

Creative freedom: default

Closing down: Press more

Tackling: more aggressive

Marking: zonal marking

Crossing: default

Roaming: default

Touchline instructions (attacking version):

(DEFAULT)At home/when behind: Attacking mentality (sometimes overload, if desperate), with instructions set to push higher up, get ball forward, and exploit the flanks.

Tougher opposition, home: Switch to counter-attacking mentality, instructionss set to retain possession, exploit the flanks, drop deeper, hassle opponents

Touchline instructions (counter version):

(DEFAULT)Away: counter-attacking mentality, with instructions set to push higher up, get ball forward, and exploit the flanks.

Tougher opposition, Away: Switch to Contain mentality, instructions set to retain possession, look for overlap, drop deeper, hassle opponents

As far as player talks, I ask my asst., but sometimes target individual players based on their morale/performance.

EDIT: Some people are having trouble with FM Base download. I suggest still looking there (there are some details I wrote there not posted here) but here are alternative download links.

Attacking: http://www.filefront.com/15053825/Basque%204-4-2%20%28attacking%29.tac

Counter: http://www.filefront.com/15053807/Basque%204-4-2%20%28counter%29.tac

Can you upload Counter-attacking version on other site? I cant download from fm-base.

I try only Attacking version on my new west ham save and this tactic work fantastic. Iam 4th after 10 games and used defualt team no transfers

Can you upload Counter-attacking version on other site? I cant download from fm-base.

I try only Attacking version on my new west ham save and this tactic work fantastic Iam 4th after 10 games without transfers.

The reason is that I edited the name, it's currently awaiting approval on there so it should be up and running again soon.

Until then, here it is on filefront: http://www.filefront.com/15053807/Basque%204-4-2%20%28counter%29.tac

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, just added filefront links for both variations in the OP!

Hi Arrano, I'm making my first journey ever into Basque football and have taken over Bilbao and I'm also using your tactics. Have a couple questions for you:

1. Do you use opposition instructions at all?

2. Are you still using the same tactics after updating the game to 10.2?

I have tried your tactic with athletic and it worked superb for the first two months of the season with Llorente on fire banging in the goals, but i was also letting in conceding alot of goals (normally 3 a game). But then suddenly i stopped scoring goals and still conceding the same amount so i don't understand how you managed to finished 4th i also signed arteta on the right wing, signed ander as well but have not had any success with him on the wings so far.

Do you use the sideline instruction from the start of every game or am i missing something?

My team is

gk Iraizoz

dr Iraola

dl Castillo

dc Etexeita

dc Amorebieta

mr Arteta

ml Yestes/Ander

mc Orbaiz

mc Martinez

fc de cerio

fc Llorente

Hi Arrano, I'm making my first journey ever into Basque football and have taken over Bilbao and I'm also using your tactics. Have a couple questions for you:

1. Do you use opposition instructions at all?

2. Are you still using the same tactics after updating the game to 10.2?

I got these questions via your PM, and answered them. I'll answer here too in case anyone else needs to know

1. I have my ass man set opposition instructions

2. I haven't tried 10.2 yet, as my computer is not working at this time.

I have tried your tactic with athletic and it worked superb for the first two months of the season with Llorente on fire banging in the goals, but i was also letting in conceding alot of goals (normally 3 a game). But then suddenly i stopped scoring goals and still conceding the same amount so i don't understand how you managed to finished 4th i also signed arteta on the right wing, signed ander as well but have not had any success with him on the wings so far.

Do you use the sideline instruction from the start of every game or am i missing something?

My team is

gk Iraizoz

dr Iraola

dl Castillo

dc Etexeita

dc Amorebieta

mr Arteta

ml Yestes/Ander

mc Orbaiz

mc Martinez

fc de cerio

fc Llorente

I use the sideline instructions from the start, and they should be in the downloads by default. However, once I'm ahead, I'll switch to control (at home) or defensive (away) then adjust accordingly as I see fit. I too conceded lots of goals my first season, but in my second and third seasons I fixed this by buying a very good young center back from Osasuna, however, he was a regen. I've also tweaked the tactic a little bit after I bought Arteta, I play him as the box-to-box position in the original tactic, but changed him to a support advanced playmaker and moved Martinez to the other center midfield spot, playing him as a defending center midfielder. Try this and it may help you score goals- Arteta gets lots of assists and some good long-range goals for me. Ander is a good player for me- I bought him in the first season but he never really got going for me until the third season.

Thanks for the reply i have better luck my second season. i bought azpilicueta for right back and some regen center back from osasuna but he is not ready for first team action yet, but he looks like a good prospect..Arteta works well in the middle for me and i have pushed iraola forward to right mid and munain is coming along well..in which position do you hace most success with ander, on the wing or do you use him as a center midfield advanced playmaker?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply i have better luck my second season. i bought azpilicueta for right back and some regen center back from osasuna but he is not ready for first team action yet, but he looks like a good prospect..Arteta works well in the middle for me and i have pushed iraola forward to right mid and munain is coming along well..in which position do you hace most success with ander, on the wing or do you use him as a center midfield advanced playmaker?

Ander was okay as an advanced playmaker in my first two seasons, but in my third season he's very good as a left midfielder.

Okay, my computer was down since early December, but I fixed it (finally so I'm back in business). The tactic seems okay with 10.2 so far, but you need to manually add the touchline shouts (even though they're saved in the tactic). I'm gonna work on it a bit and maybe make a couple changes then I'll post a new version of the tactics.

• 2 months later...

Well, I've finally gotten around to trying this tactic with 10.3 as Athletic Bilbao. I finished 6th first season and, at the beginning of October my second season I'm sitting in 4th. I modified it very slightly, switching the Deep-Lying FW/Support to Poacher/Attack (to accommodate Muniain), and switched the Target Man from Attack to Support. All other positions and roles are the same, and I still generally use the same shouts and strategies. The attacking striker position also does well with an advanced FW.

Here's the newest version, via filefront (starting strategy is Counter): http://www.filefront.com/16171265/Basque%204-4-2%20%28Muniain%29.tac

Archived