You know you are addicted to football manager when............

When you go onto your club website the day the transfer window opens and wonder why there is no news about your free signings of fazio, nani, ribery, ilsinho and matuidi on the same day.

Then realise that was FM.

Or, leave your mum sat in the car waiting to go out (even though she's only going out cos you need to be dropped off at the train station) because your league cup 3rd round match with chelsea has gone into extra time.

When you take your laptop on the bus with you and your girlfriend, completely ignore her, and play on it just because you want to get to the opening of the transfer window, despite the fact the bus is full and you are getting strange looks off everyone.

Finally, asking to borrow your *insert family member here* newspaper just so you can look to see if there are any players names you may have missed.

excellent thread.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you base your ever so important (It's not just a bloody game it's about proving i am superior to everyone i know) fantasy football team around hot prospects you discovered in FM just to prove that you are the dogs when it comes to judging player potential.

When you scream at players for missing on the 2D pitch, it goes like this

Sat in living room with girlfriend, she will be watching Corrie or some **** like that, whereas me I have FM on the laptop and suddenly you screech "Aguero, what the **** are you doing, that was ****ing easy" girlfriend stares at you, thinking you are a crazed madman. Then the opposition scores and you get up and walk in circles, "Manchester City are ****ing ****, can we not even score past them" girlfriend mutters to herself in hope of attracting your attention, she is ignored, you equalise and shout "Cummon lets av it" as you get really quite pumped up, girlfriend is getting angry at your behaviour, oblivious to this you score a winner in the last minute, running around the living room and screaming "Aguero you beast I ****ing love you you are ****ing brilliant" girlfriend says who is Aguero, then blanking her you have to ensure you turn on time wasting and set mentality to defensive to ensure your side holds out.

I've done that with Djurgarden IF! When players like Kallstrom, Chanko and Dorsin were there!

When you can remember the old school CM's and all the best youngsters from it, like on 01/02 when there was kallstrom and there was martin palermo who scored for fun and gorka larrea who got amazing and yes... quite sad, but i cant remember the name of that Danish guy that took about 5 seasons to develop but whoa did he get good!!!

When you scream at players for missing on the 2D pitch, it goes like this

Sat in living room with girlfriend, she will be watching Corrie or some **** like that, whereas me I have FM on the laptop and suddenly you screech "Aguero, what the **** are you doing, that was ****ing easy" girlfriend stares at you, thinking you are a crazed madman. Then the opposition scores and you get up and walk in circles, "Manchester City are ****ing ****, can we not even score past them" girlfriend mutters to herself in hope of attracting your attention, she is ignored, you equalise and shout "Cummon lets av it" as you get really quite pumped up, girlfriend is getting angry at your behaviour, oblivious to this you score a winner in the last minute, running around the living room and screaming "Aguero you beast I ****ing love you you are ****ing brilliant" girlfriend says who is Aguero, then blanking her you have to ensure you turn on time wasting and set mentality to defensive to ensure your side holds out.

This exactly how I shout when I'm winning or losing. Good summary :thup:.

you believe its all quite real and walk down the street expecting people to recognise you as one of football top bosses, or maybe i go too far?

I know that one. Walking around Waterloo the other day I overheard some people talking about Newcastle Utd, and I felt proud inside. Also fairly happy they should be signing Collocini soon, as he was my first ever signing at the club. I'm expecting Farfan and Pedretti to follow IRL, Kevin is obviously following in my footsteps.

When people (not FM addicts) come and ask you when their team are rumoured to sign a player. "Is he any good?"

Latest case: Rnic for Anderlecht! I thought: "What's he going to do at Anderlecht, I was just planning to sign him as my backup Right fullback in my 2013 Inter save!"

I seem to be having the same problem as all the other blokes here: Forgetting which transfers happened IRL and which happened in FM.

Let me give you an example. Last friday I was at the Feyenoord stadium watching Tottenhan Hotspur - Celtic in the Feyenoord jubilee tournament. (Spurs won 2-0 by the way, they were class but Berbatov did NOT have his day, and that is an understatement). After the second goal, the announcer said: "2-0, goal by David Bentley".

And I (thick stupid me) shouted: "Impossible! He signed for Man City!"

You tell your mates your busy on Sundays from 3-6pm, where you sit down with FM on the laptop and watch 'The World Game', searching for new players.

You loose confidence in the team you support in real life cause you know you could do better as manager.

When you are praying for your shoulder operation due this month as it means 3 weeks off work - none stop football manager,the only problem is it is on the side I use so have started practising with my left arm to make sure I am ready!!

1. you actually make plans to make tea, go to the loo etc because you know the fa cup third round is going take ages to process

2. the time is relative to when you'll be playing next. it's not 12.30 atm, its five and a half to fm!

3. you post more than you need to so people in the office think you're working hard typing something important

4. you sulk for half an hour if, between feb 08 and dec 08, eduardo scores against you.

"he shouldn't even be ****ing playing!"

5. the thought "i did so well until the finish!" applies to sex with your girlfriend

When you are praying for your shoulder operation due this month as it means 3 weeks off work - none stop football manager,the only problem is it is on the side I use so have started practising with my left arm to make sure I am ready!!

same kinda thing happened to me last year. I dislocated (sp?) my knee playing football and was put in a cast and told it would 6-7 weeks before i got out of it. My first thought should have been "damn, 7 weeks off before xmas better let work know so they can try and get someone in to cover my department." Instead my first thought was "YES, 7 weeks off playing fm! how cool is that!"

1. you actually make plans to make tea, go to the loo etc because you know the fa cup third round is going take ages to process

2. the time is relative to when you'll be playing next. it's not 12.30 atm, its five and a half to fm!

3. you post more than you need to so people in the office think you're working hard typing something important

4. you sulk for half an hour if, between feb 08 and dec 08, eduardo scores against you.

"he shouldn't even be ****ing playing!"

5. the thought "i did so well until the finish!" applies to sex with your girlfriend

I do that - I wait to go to the loo until there's going to be a long loading time, just so I can get maximum playing time :thup:

Doesn't apply nowadays, but i still have notebooks full of scores from playing the original Football Manager on the speccy through to ...well whenever results started being recorded for longer than the results screen of the match you just played

when you wake up, come to work, sit on this forum for 7.5 hours till you finish, run home and sit on fm till after 12, then wake up..... go to work, sit on this forum for 7.5 hours, groundhog day!!!!

same kinda thing happened to me last year. I dislocated (sp?) my knee playing football and was put in a cast and told it would 6-7 weeks before i got out of it. My first thought should have been "damn, 7 weeks off before xmas better let work know so they can try and get someone in to cover my department." Instead my first thought was "YES, 7 weeks off playing fm! how cool is that!"

have been told its some time this month just waiting for deffinet date. Am going to try and get as many mewgens in my team by the time I return to work!!

have been told its some time this month just waiting for deffinet date. Am going to try and get as many mewgens in my team by the time I return to work!!

When you are reading the paper,read about a team being linked with some new starlet so write down his name and check him out on f.m - same sort of thing when you are watching some obscure game of football from a abroad and persist to make a list of any palyer who looks good so you can get him on f.m!!!

Archived