You know you are addicted to football manager when............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I play Football Manager I seem to blank everything else out.

Memebers of my family start talking to me, I hear them saying something but it just does not register!! And I just nod, dont even look at them !

What a game icon_biggrin.gif absolute genius !

Been playing it for 9yrs now! Thats what you call addiction icon_cool.gif

On Matchdays i find myself doing the old Mourinho hand gestures to my monitor.

But by far the worst is whenever i walk into my bedroom i feel compelled to wave at the "fans" on all four corners of the stadium (bedroom) and give them a little clap for there fantastic support.

This happened when I was about 14/15:

I told my parents that i was going to bed, it was a school night and about 10pm. I had been playing CM (as it was back then). However I had no intention of going to bed. I sat there playing for another an hour (just in my boxer shorts). My Dad then abrubtly entered my room. In a panic I turned the monitor off. My Dad demanded what I was doing up (he was quite strict). I refused to answer. My Dad obviously thought I was watching P**n, came over turned the monitor on to find my Inter team beating Reggina 5-0. He just told me to get to bed ansd stop playing that 'stupid' game.

He now regularly brings this story up at every family get together. Brilliant. Also my Dad retracting his 'stupid game' by playing 30 seasons with Coventry!!

When you're giving imaginary press conferences/interviews on the toilet in between game time.... Also when you lift a vase/bottle/lamp above your head in celebration of winning the champions league trophy... worse still when you drop that vase and have to explain to your parents/other half what the hell you were doing holding it in the air in the first place....

I only realised I did this until tonight when I started a new game. I hold a press conference when I take over a new club and explain my aims and even pretend to take questions from the press and even use Real life press names like "Yes Garth" or "Yes Nick".

Yes I am sad but It was SI that made me this way. The wife moans about it a bit, so I just tell her turn Corrie and EastEnders off and ill turn FM off.

This thread is the funniest thing i have seen since Fawlty Towers or Airplane "got to get him to a hospital, but what is it? a big building with sick people in it".

Beat this.

The mrs said i woke up one night sat up in bed and shouted out loud " my XXXXing assisant manager has gone on holiday and left me to do all the XXXXing work.

Its so sad.

Cheers

Simon

Yea I agree with Simon spoons, great thread, very funny and its always good to know that your not the only one that is addicted to this game. Think there is thousands, if not millions of football manageraholics !!!!!

I have been playing Football Manager/Champ Manager for the past 9yrs now and I know a few people who play it as well but only one good mate of mine shares my passion for the game.

I am new to The Forums, after a few days of browsing threads I can say that I am really glad by the amount of people who appreciate the legendary game of Football Manager icon_smile.gif

When you watched a documentary last night on the BBC about how some people get addicted to computer games and it ruins their life, but despite this your still playing fm as you watch it and thinking, "how sad, that'll never happen to me.." icon_biggrin.gif

When you're son is about to play a football game for his under 7 side and you ask him whether they'll be playing attacking or defensive, short or direct, hard or soft tackling and closing down always or rarely.

You get the look back that says 'Oh dad!'

i'm a big one for the press conferences, i do as myself, and as my players talking about how great i am and their plans for the future (all seem to revolve around keep playing for me!)

i think the day i realised i was addicted was when my laptop broke and it was going to take 3 days to repair, so i walked out of the store, straight into EB Games and bought a PSP with FM07 just so i didn't have to go without for 72 hours!

Originally posted by sydfc4ever:

i'm a big one for the press conferences, i do as myself, and as my players talking about how great i am and their plans for the future (all seem to revolve around keep playing for me!)

i think the day i realised i was addicted was when my laptop broke and it was going to take 3 days to repair, so i walked out of the store, straight into EB Games and bought a PSP with FM07 just so i didn't have to go without for 72 hours!

Also buying EVERY version of FM, on all platforms and including WWSM 'just to see if it's any different'

Board confidence update to girlfriend.

The board are dissapointed with your performance in the bedroom but are however pleased with your efforts to maintain the clubs long term goals in the kitchen.

The fans believe that the signing of secret sex god (christiano ronaldo) to be an abberation..

David James on his goalkeeping errors.."He put down his spate of errors to an overindulgence of playing computer games that in turn affected his concentration"

I really see what James was on about.. am convinced my FM addictions on a friday night have runined my football career.. as on saturday cannot concentrate! icon_confused.gif but usually just cristise the managers tactics.. caliming he dont have a clue what hes on about!!

1) When you're bored you wikipedia players like Kennedy Bakircioglu and Andri Sigporsson to see whatever became of them...

2) You try to preach the wonders of playing 4-2-4 when you're down a goal with 10 minutes to go... to your little league team of 8 year olds

Originally posted by mizan:

Hows this for addicted?

Me and my mates are planning to say we are going on holiday for a couple of days, instead....

we are going to play FM at a hotel with wireless connection 24 hrs a day, NO INTERUPTIONS from anyone!!! SAD or what!?

That is truly legendary! icon14.gif

I once got so obsessed with a career on Champ Man (as it was then) that I went on a pilgrimage to the team I was managing, KRC Genk. I told an official at the ground how I had found myself there, and got to meet many of the players I had in the squad when I took over. It was great to meet Wesley Sonck, Moumouni Dagano, Berndt Thijs and Josip Skoko in the flesh after managing them on CM!

(I did feel a bit of an anorak though)

Originally posted by crewe_york:

When you describe a first date that went well as being a good performance and you're sure she'll get better as she gets used to the way you play.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Legend

Archived