Sports Interactive Community
jayahr

Former CM/FM-only legends, where are they now?

Oh, Todorov. I loved Anatoli. Always good for 30 goals a year.

Ah yes, Anatoli, without a doubt THE player of CM4.

Bought him with Florentia Viola (Fiorentina) at start of game in Serie C2B. Lobbed him into my conference team and they were simply unbeatable. Only 17 but would score 4 a game, and probably still holds the world record for most ever goals in 1 game WITHOUT deliberate alteration of my or the other team's stats.

12, in a 14-2 win in the Vans Competition. Plus scored 9 times in what is probably a world record score of 19-1 (without stats alterations) against Doncaster. (CM4 would always quit if a team was gonna get 20).

With him in my team my conf side was able to reach 300 league goals in a season. Plus win the FA Cup from the Conf. Once even deliberately stayed down in the conf, won the fa cup, and played in the EUFA cup from the conf in the next season. 2-0 to Parma in the final and he scored twice, plus bagged the winner in extra time. Fond fond memories :))

Wael Riad moved from Itesalat to El Gouna earlier this year. El Gouna is an Egyptian club.

Serge Makofo joined Grays Athletic this year, but moved (on loan) to Burton Albion after only 1 appearance.

Paweł Brożek plays for Wisła Kraków, a club in Poland. He's made 150 apps for them, scoring 69 goals, so he's very sucessful there.

Ah yes, I remember Wael from CM4 too. V occasionally, at new creation of a game he would have a PA that would allow a work permit. Even without a permit to my conf side, I would play him in Italy. Best dribbler of the ball ever. He would have something like 20 dribbles a game. Once saw him with 42.

FM2010 is a gr8 game, but CM4 is more simpler to play and in a lot of ways more enjoyable too. Ah the good old days.

Maxim Tsigalko is a free agent in the 10.2 database. His twin, Yuriy, is also in the game and is a reasonably competent goalkeeper if you're a lower league club.

How is he on 10.2? If the clubs he's played for IRL are anything to go by, he ought to be thoroughly rubbish. ;)

I remember mark tobin. I think he was a DMC. I always bought matthew christianson (I think that was his name) from coventry. Sometimes he flopped but many a time he valued at 25m.

Pretty much the whole of the swedish U19 team. kim kalstrom and co. Those 210k minimum release clause they all had.

Since this thread is about where are the legends now instead of how they have disappeared into oblivion, some of the classic CM2 faces I could recall:

Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy: Two legends from the productive Crewe Alexandre academy.

Those two will whack in goals at will for you if you manage to sign them. Lennon had a successful career with Glasgow Celtic and represented Northern Ireland 40 times, now a coach with Celtic

Danny Murphy did fulfilled some of his promise with Liverpool before a whirlwind journey in Premier League with Charlton, Tottenham and now Fulham. Represented England 9 times.

In one CM2 save Stan Collymore scored 80 in a season. Last seen starring in a cheap sequel to "Basic Instinct".

Anyone played the fame Atalanta team back in the late 1990s, there were some gems there who did not really fulfill their promise though the Doni brothers did.

Then there were a few Brazilians from the old CM 96/97 like Djalminha and Vampeta who were meant to conquer the world but never did.

Where's Maxim Satchkik(?) at, can't find him on google because I can't remember how to spell his name...

Was a legend for me on CM 03/04. I think he was at Kiev.

first post:p

Where's Maxim Satchkik(?) at, can't find him on google because I can't remember how to spell his name...

Was a legend for me on CM 03/04. I think he was at Kiev.

first post:p

Maksim Shatskikh? He left Dynamo Kiev in 2009 after 10 years and is now at Lokomotiv Astana in Kazakhstan with ex-Russian internationals Yegor Titov and Andrey Tikhonov.

Someone asked how good Tsigalko is in 10.2 - put it like this, you'd be better off looking elsewhere for a bargain.

Maksim Shatskikh? He left Dynamo Kiev in 2009 after 10 years and is now at Lokomotiv Astana in Kazakhstan with ex-Russian internationals Yegor Titov and Andrey Tikhonov.

Someone asked how good Tsigalko is in 10.2 - put it like this, you'd be better off looking elsewhere for a bargain.

Yeah, that's him, thanks.

Yeah, Cherno Samba's career went drastically downhill :D

He got too cocky and stopped training apparently because he thought that he was going to be like the next mega-star, and his move to Liverpool broke down I believe.

I was in the pub with a bloke who coaches the Milwall youth side who filled me in on the Samba story. Apologies if this has been mentioned already, at work and dont have time to read through 3 pages.

Long story short Samba lied about his age, saying he was younger than he really was. When he played at youth level he was physically and technically far superior to the other players as he was a "man" rather than a "teenager". When he moved up to the reserves and everyone else kept on developing he'd peaked, and as a result looked very ordinary. No idea where he is now, but I doubt any Prem clubs would be looking for him, more like league 2 or Blue Square.

Seen a few mentions of Willie Howie, nowadays a hard-as-nails ball-winning central midfielder in the West of Scotland 1st Division for Glenafton Athletic. IIRC one of his coaches from Partick Thistle was manager at the time and he's stayed around. His career took a major set-back while still at Thistle after he was seriously assaulted with an iron bar in Glasgow.

He's good enough to play at a higher level (effectively 6th Division right now), but must be happy. I've seen him play a number of times and is a guy with real workrate and dig.

Sebastian Jeanerat (Swiss player, no idea which version)

Peter Ofori-Quoi (Spelling and no idea which version)

Ellis Laight (Torquay , CM 96/97?)

Carmine Magliaro - Italian wonder forward (CM3+ ??)

The Mexican/Bolivian who got struck by lighting in real life and died while training whose name escapes me

Ibrahim Bakayoko (Montpellier, CM 97-98??)

Nicky Mohan (CM 93/4 - My Leyton Orient team, GOD!)

Just a few inacuracies and gaps in knowlege there for you!

Anybody remembers Fabijan Cipot?

He's a D / S © from Al Sadd back then. Absolute beast for me.

Also Santi Dominguez from pontavedra, spain. His only good stats AFAIR are all his physical + OTB + heading + Finishing, but for some unknown reason keep banging goals for me (don't remember which version of CM/FM though, maybe 2002 or 2003)

Oh, and wing wizards from sporting Fabio Paim and Ze Mario. They were nightmare even when only 15 y.o :D

Sebastian Jeanerat (Swiss player, no idea which version)

Peter Ofori-Quoi (Spelling and no idea which version)

Ellis Laight (Torquay , CM 96/97?)

Carmine Magliaro - Italian wonder forward (CM3+ ??)

The Mexican/Bolivian who got struck by lighting in real life and died while training whose name escapes me

Ibrahim Bakayoko (Montpellier, CM 97-98??)

Nicky Mohan (CM 93/4 - My Leyton Orient team, GOD!)

Just a few inacuracies and gaps in knowlege there for you!

Ellis Laight now plays for Bideford AFC.

Ibrahima Bakayoko moved to PAS Giannina from PAOK in 2009, when he's made 9 appearance and scored 1 goal.

Nicky Mohan retired from professional football in 2002, moving to non-league team Harrogate Town. He now plays for Guisborough Town, in the Arngrove Northern League, who he joined early 2008.

Don't know about the others though. Sorry. :)

I've played against samba a few times in this version and he always scores past me. Can't remember which club(s) it was, but I think it was when I was inleauge 2.

Hey guys, awesome thread.

I have a lot of fond memories from the past CM/FMs and a few players stick out.

First of all there was the Greek contigent from a CM01/02 update who had godlike attributes, the only one I can remember is Skalidis. I think the Greek researcher was off his mind!

Other than that, from 99/00 there was Paul Dillon who has been mentioned, along with former Rotherham teammate Vance Warner.. I always used to sign John O'Flynn who I believe plays for Barnet now.

Other youngsters from previous versions who I always used to sign include Rory Hutton, Graham Bowater, Shane Tolley, Cherno Samba, and of course Robyn Onions, for his name alone.

A lower league midfielder I always had some fascination of signing was Steve Housham. He had awesome defensive attributes and was always a good backup at premier league level.

First of all there was the Greek contigent from a CM01/02 update who had godlike attributes, the only one I can remember is Skalidis. I think the Greek researcher was off his mind!

I hated the superGreeks. They all had godawful technical attributes, but fantastic physical and mental stats, all 20s for Strength and Determination and Consistency and the like, and would gladly hammer you into a pulp at a CA of 60 or so. Did I mention I hated them? ;)

A lower league midfielder I always had some fascination of signing was Steve Housham. He had awesome defensive attributes and was always a good backup at premier league level.

Now he was fab. I always bought him too (or, if another club had beaten me to him, Justin Walker). Yours for a fiver and a packet of crisps.

Mike Duff was a classic 01/02 wing back, but I always liked his left-wing team mate at Cheltenham, Jamie Victory (iirc) better.

Hey guys, awesome thread.

I have a lot of fond memories from the past CM/FMs and a few players stick out.

Other than that, from 99/00 there was Paul Dillon who has been mentioned, along with former Rotherham teammate Vance Warner.. I always used to sign John O'Flynn who I believe plays for Barnet now.

Other youngsters from previous versions who I always used to sign include Rory Hutton, Graham Bowater, Shane Tolley, Cherno Samba, and of course Robyn Onions, for his name alone.

Anastasios Skalidis was a fictional player. :D

Vance Warner retired from football in 2000. He ended his career with Rotherham United.

John O'Flynn does indeed play for Barnet, having moved there in 2008. He also recently became engaged to his girlfriend, Aisling Cronin.

Steve Housham retired from playing football in 2007, from the non-league club Brigg Town. He's now their manager.

Now he was fab. I always bought him too (or, if another club had beaten me to him, Justin Walker). Yours for a fiver and a packet of crisps.

Mike Duff was a classic 01/02 wing back, but I always liked his left-wing team mate at Cheltenham, Jamie Victory (iirc) better.

Justin Walker is currently without a club, having been released from FC Halifax Town.

Jamie Victory was released from Cheltenham Town in May 2007, after eleven years with the club. In February 2008, he retired from professional football as the result of a recurrent pevlic injury, and is currently working at the radiography department at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital.

Anastasios Skalidis was a fictional player. :D

Really? I always thought To Madeira was the only fictional player in the game. :eek:

Thanks, btw, Vic, for your updates on those players. Very cool to know.

Really? I always thought To Madeira was the only fictional player in the game. :eek:

Thanks, btw, Vic, for your updates on those players. Very cool to know.

Nope. There's also a player called Alexandros Papadopoulos who's in the game but doesn't exits irl.

And no problem. I find it quite interesting finding out what happened to the stars of yesterday. :thup:

I think I read somewhere that Andri Sigthorsson retired because of a recurring injury. His Molde career started off quite well iirc. He's also got a younger brother, Kolbeinn, who was at AZ on FM08.

Anyways, was inspired by the thread, so I did some researching on my old favorites that haven't already been mentioned. Don't think most of them were too widely known, though.

Gudmunder Mete (now spelled Gudmundur), formerly Malmo FF, now back home at Valur. Was my first pick signing at most mid-tier clubs.

Erik Nevland (free transfer on cm97/98) did reasonably well irl.

a few seasons ago, now a rotation player at Fulham. Or was last year, at least. Oh yeah, and he knocked Chelsea out of the UEFA cup with Viking, first season into Abramovic era. :D

Baldur Bett from the glorious footballing nation of Iceland in CM00/01 days plays for Valur nowdays. Also a first pick signing.

Kristian Selnaes with the Norwegian "ae" now plays at Kolstad in the Norwegian third div. He was no bad on both 00/01 and 01/02.

Havar Valved from Andalsnes (CM0102) is on a free transfer now, according to the Fm10 db. :o Should try him again, though I doubt he'll be the killer he was in these ultra-realistic FM days. :D

Eldar Hadzimehmehmedovic is the proud holder of the UEFA cup record - most goals scored in a single game. Scored 6 against some Faroese team when he was 18. Now plays in some lower divison club in Norway. A mate from Norway told me the fellow lied about his age and turned out to be a couple of years older. Never really checked that.

Here are some players I couldn't find any info about:

Gilles Domoraud was a cracking winger/AM that played in some second div Greek side (Kalamaria I think it was called, if such a thing exists :D). Kallstrom's mate from Hacken whom I've often signed together with him, Kjetil Tynes (?) is nowhere to be found in the database or Google. Derek & Mark Tobin (Irish 16 and 18 year old DMCs, both free on 01/02). There are two Polish players whose names were quite difficult to spell. All I know is that one was a midfielder, and the other a striker - both played in some lower div club called Gwardia.

Speaking of the Poles, Arkadiusz Bak had a spell with Birmingham before he retired, aye?

Here are some players I couldn't find any info about:

Gilles Domoraud was a cracking winger/AM that played in some second div Greek side (Kalamaria I think it was called, if such a thing exists :D). Kallstrom's mate from Hacken whom I've often signed together with him, Kjetil Tynes (?) is nowhere to be found in the database or Google. Derek & Mark Tobin (Irish 16 and 18 year old DMCs, both free on 01/02). There are two Polish players whose names were quite difficult to spell. All I know is that one was a midfielder, and the other a striker - both played in some lower div club called Gwardia.

Speaking of the Poles, Arkadiusz Bak had a spell with Birmingham before he retired, aye?

Gilles Domoraud currently plays for FC Stade Nyonnais, having joined them from Nea Salamis in 2008.

Arkadiusz Bąk still plays football. He joined Flota Świnoujście in 2008. He previously played for Ruch Chorzów, Polonia Warszawa, Birmingham City, Widzew Łódź, Amica Wronki, and Lech Poznań. He made thirteen appearances for Poland, including appearances in the 2002 Football World Cup in South Korea.

Yes, in CM97/98, playing for Cambridge. They also had someone else. I'm trying to remember.

Mark Collis and Ferrah Orosco.

Steve Froggot, epic left winger.

Sunday Oliseh.

Steve Froggatt retired from football in 2001, from Coventry City. He nows work there as a press officer and a personal trainer, and often appears on television and radio as a football summariser.

Sunday Oliseh retired from football in 2006, leaving Racing Genk. He did, however, sign for non-league team FC Baelen, to play the 2007/08 season, but has since retired again.

Eldar Hadzimehmehmedovic is the proud holder of the UEFA cup record - most goals scored in a single game. Scored 6 against some Faroese team when he was 18. Now plays in some lower divison club in Norway. A mate from Norway told me the fellow lied about his age and turned out to be a couple of years older. Never really checked that.

Must be a record for the longest name too. How did they put his last name on a shirt?

carl laurie, byron bubb. both these guys are still going for ****** teams! :)

Byron Bubb has played for 14 clubs, inculding Millwall, Hendon, Boreham Wood, Aylesbury United, Hemel, Hempstead Town, Cheshunt, Dover Athletic, AFC Wimbledon, Bromley, Harrow Borough, Burnham, Farnborough, and is currently at Slough Town.

Now that's a journeyman career! :D

Must be a record for the longest name too. How did they put his last name on a shirt?

Oops. Just realized there's an extra "meh" in there.

It's actually "just" Hadzimehmedovic. Still not easy to put on a shirt though. :)

I was gonna say Collis and Orosco. I made sure I always swiped them from Cambridge whenever I started a new game even if they were completely made up players :D

Gianluigi Lentini- At one point, the world's most expensive player. On FM Italia he started the game injured for 18 months but turned out to be amazing once he recovered (especially with my front line of van Basten and Massaro :D). Shame he couldn't fulfill his FM potential in real life.

Nii Lamptey - Amazing on CM...not so much in real life.

Ian Moore - was a goalscoring machine on the earlier CM's.

Ibrahima Bakayoka, Francis Jeffers, Danny Cadamateri, Anatoli Todorov, Peter Prosper, Gareth Jellyman.

Danny Cadamateri is currently at Dundee United in the SPL, having been banned (I think?) for failing a drugs test and some other run-ins with the law.

He probably had a nickname they put on his shirt. Wasn't there this footballer with a really long name who took the nickname Grafiti?

Then there were a few Brazilians from the old CM 96/97 like Djalminha and Vampeta who were meant to conquer the world but never did.

Djalminha had a great career, especially at Palmeiras, and abroad (at Deportivo). He didn't have many chances to play for Brazil though.

Vampeta technically conquered the world, since he was part of the 2002 WC winning squad and part of the Corinthians team that won the world title in 2000.

He probably had a nickname they put on his shirt. Wasn't there this footballer with a really long name who took the nickname Grafiti?

This Grafite?

Magne Hoseth on CM00/01 from Molde, left mifield.

Fabian O'Neill same CM from Juventus

Martin Palermo bought once for Rangers £12m scored must of been near 50 goals debut season (although SPL isnt that challenging for someone like him)

Taribo West always a bargain on a free

Yeah.

I don't think he took that nickname because his name is long, he could have easily gone with the football name Edinaldo, or Naldo. I think he got the football name Grafite due to his skin color, this is fairly common here and depending on the circunstances it is not deemed racist.

Magne Hoseth on CM00/01 from Molde, left mifield.

Fabian O'Neill same CM from Juventus

Martin Palermo bought once for Rangers £12m scored must of been near 50 goals debut season (although SPL isnt that challenging for someone like him)

Taribo West always a bargain on a free

Magne Hoseth (born Magne Hoset) plays for Modle, having moved there from Vålerenga in 2006. He was recently linked with Coca Cola League 1 side Hartlepool United but their manager Chris Turner denyed the speculation.

Fabián O'Neill is retired from football, having left Nacional in 2003 after only playing 5 games in a year.

Martín Palermo is currently playing for Boca Juniors, and has amassed 159 apps and scored 88 goals.

Taribo West retired from football in early 2008, leaving Paykan. He made the claim that he had been signed by Xerez in late 2008, but Xerez's president denyed the claim. He is also known for the various unusual and colourful hairstyles that he has sported over the years.

Djalminha had a great career, especially at Palmeiras, and abroad (at Deportivo). He didn't have many chances to play for Brazil though.

Vampeta technically conquered the world, since he was part of the 2002 WC winning squad and part of the Corinthians team that won the world title in 2000.

I did not know that Vampeta was in the 2002 World Cup squad, thanks PMLF for the head's up.

Djalminha is now back in Depor for their indoor football team.

Another great Brazilian player who won the World Cup in 1994 and was prominent in earlier versions of CM: centerback Marcio Santos.

He was fabulous for Fiorentina back in the 1994 days and had great stats and even do well in the game if you take Ajax when he was there but in real life he never managed to match his form back in Italy when he was in the Netherlands.

And the most classic major failure in real life of them all: Roque Junior

Djalminha is now back in Depor for their indoor football team.

He also plays for Flamengo's showbol team (showbol is the name we give to this kind of indoor football).

He was a good player in the late 1990s at Palmeiras and early 2000s with Milan (before declining and being loaned to the likes of Leeds and Siena), and he also won the WC in 2002.

People in England get the impression he wasn't good because of his bad spell at Leeds, more or less like they do regarding Jardel (who was poor at Bolton).

Another great Brazilian player who won the World Cup in 1994 and was prominent in earlier versions of CM: centerback Marcio Santos.

He was fabulous for Fiorentina back in the 1994 days and had great stats and even do well in the game if you take Ajax when he was there but in real life he never managed to match his form back in Italy when he was in the Netherlands.

Márcio Roberto dos Santos retired from football in 2006, after spending 2 years at Portuguesa Santista.

Roque Júnior joined Al-Rayyan in early 2008, making only 3 appearances before moving on loan to Palmeiras, where he has appeared 7 times, before leaving in November 2008. He has been offered by Al-Rayyan to a number of Australian A-league clubs, and was reported to be in talks with Avaí gaffer Paulo Silas in July 2009, but nothing has since come of it.

I didn't know he was injured. :thup:

But yeah, 4 appearances in 2 years really doesn't spell a bright future, as no injury lasts 2 years (or at least no injury that he's had).

Kerlon got a knee injury at Chievo which kept him out of the squad. He might yet fulfil his promise, but more likely his injury proneness will keep him from doing that.

Kerlon got a knee injury at Chievo which kept him out of the squad. He might yet fulfil his promise, but more likely his injury proneness will keep him from doing that.

He had injuries since youth level, and now at Ajax too. He will end up retiring...

As for Roque Júnior, he is training at Ituano now, but it's not known yet if he will join them for the São Paulo State League.

Speaking of Brazilians, there was this Claudio guy at PSV in cm97/98 whom I used to sign regularly. He was a winger, although as we know the CM2 data was rather dodgy on such things. Wasn't a regular at PSV, first time around I signed him after he was released by them.

Oh, and Tommy Svindal Larsen deserves a mention as well. :)

Tommy Svindal Larsen currently plays for Odd Grenland. He's married and has four children.

Erik Nevland (free transfer on cm97/98) did reasonably well irl.
a few seasons ago, now a rotation player at Fulham. Or was last year, at least. Oh yeah, and he knocked Chelsea out of the UEFA cup with Viking, first season into Abramovic era. :D

He also used to play here in Holland, for Groningen. I liked him, he was a good player. Also had a short stint at Man U as a youngster, iirc.

Is that the same Vampeta that used to play for PSV, round the same time as Ronaldo, btw?

He still holds the Dutch record for fastest red card after coming on as a sub. I think it was 19 seconds.

I have a striker called Savas Stavidris, who scores 1014 goals for Rangers, which I managed in the verison cm 00 - 01

Dont know if this player ever was real. But hes started in a greek club, and you could only get him after 1 season was over

He also used to play here in Holland, for Groningen. I liked him, he was a good player. Also had a short stint at Man U as a youngster, iirc.

Is that the same Vampeta that used to play for PSV, round the same time as Ronaldo, btw?

The same Vampeta.

He was a pretty good player (even if he didn't adapt well to foreign football). :thup: