Sports Interactive Community
jayahr

Former CM/FM-only legends, where are they now?

Alexandros Papadapolous..Anastasios Skalidis..Paul Dillon..Paul Dillon is my main favourate..Me and my mates every last week in febuary have a Paul Dillon night out..He scored a winner in my friends champions league winning team years ago..He retired early..quality player...We will one day go and visit him and tell him how much of a legend he was...Our aim is to get him to attend one of our Paul Dillon nights..If anyone knows anything..please comment..p.s im not a stalker...

Paul Dillon played for my club in real-life, Rotherham Utd! He was a good player in real-life, but that was all, whereas on one CM he was a legend! As I always started with Rotherham he would always stay with me all the way to winning everything!

For some inexplicable reason there was also a FM where Shaun Barker - also at Rotherham then - became world class. Could play anywhere along ackline and was amazing! In real-life he signed for Derby for £1M, so he is not doing too bad for himself now, but will never become the legend he was on that FM.

Also, Mike Duff and Mads Jorgensen are two I always have fond memories of! And Andri Sigporsson.

As was said before Duff plays for Burnley and Sigporsson runs a cafe in Norway, Jorgensen has been mentioned but just browse the other posts.

As was said before Duff plays for Burnley and Sigporsson runs a cafe in Norway, Jorgensen has been mentioned but just browse the other posts.

Yeah I know they have mate, I have read the whole thread. It's just I wanted to mention the players who were brilliant for me in previous CM/FM games :)

Martin Knudsen (with a d, not a t) plays for Tromsø IL, having moved there is 2007. He's appeared 36 times for them so far, but hasn't scored.

I know it's with a "d"...

But then again, "Martin Knutsen" in CM97/98 has little in common with the real life Martin Knudsen...

Different DoB and different role [Knudsen never played as striker AFAIR] and vastly different skills... I suppose it was just a matter of not-so-accurate research, understandable for a relatively "young" game like CM97-98 was back then

Man, the memories.

I remember the go-to's in the early 00's, Hadzimehmedovic, Lunden and Selakovic. I once quit a perfectly good successful game because Hadzi had already gone somewhere else.

I also did a Fiorentina game where they were a whopping TEN MILLION in debt, sold Chiesa and Leandro came in and was a machine in front of goal. Never had the same goal/game ratio in later games.

Man, that's the one thing the internet sorta killed. Sitting next to someone on the train with CM on the go, and having them casually drop random players on you. That's how I found Tsigalko. Nowadays I just come on here haha.

I know it's with a "d"...

But then again, "Martin Knutsen" in CM97/98 has little in common with the real life Martin Knudsen...

Different DoB and different role [Knudsen never played as striker AFAIR] and vastly different skills... I suppose it was just a matter of not-so-accurate research, understandable for a relatively "young" game like CM97-98 was back then

I remember my old Premier League Football Manager 98-99 that had Ruud v.n playing as a central midfielder with absolutely horrific stats. That's the great thing about the modern versions of these games, knowledge!!!

Bestie.

That being said I remember in a very old FM, Ashley Cole at Arsenal being a striker or something with terrible, terrible stats. You can't always get it right I guess.

Julius Aghahowa has returned to Shakhtar again on a free transfer, still only aged 27.

Isaac Okoronkwo, also once at Shakhtar, is now at FC Moscow after a fairly unsuccessful spell at Wolves, which I didn't know.

Kim Kallstrom of course turned out to be a success in real life and features regularly in the Swedish squad and has been at Lyon since 2006.

Another Swedish FM legend Zlatan Ibrahimovic (:D) has of course gone on to be one of the worlds best strikers and plays for Barcelona.

Tommy Svindal Larsen has returned to his first club Odd Grenland.

Thats all I can remember from people that haven't been mentioned.

Remember seeing okoronkwo play for wolves once at molineux and was a hit with the fans he worked hard in the few games he playedand we had a song for him but they decided not to offer him a new contract.

That being said I remember in a very old FM, Ashley Cole at Arsenal being a striker or something with terrible, terrible stats. You can't always get it right I guess.

Actually he was, just like Evra. Their stories are different though. Cole wasn't "that" great as a striker but he was left footed and during a really nasty LB injury crisis at Arsenal, Arsene brought in one of the only left-footed players he had available ie Cole. From what was told, he pretty much had to learn his defensive duties on the fly.

Evra on the other hand was an out and out striker for a couple of professional seasons but ended being moved out to the left during some tactical shifts. Over the course of his early career and club injury issues he started to get pulled further back down the left wing until he was voted the joint best LB in French football at the end of one season (joint with Heinze).

Bestie.

Hi,

Does anyone remember Charles Andre-Doudin, forgot which team he played for, somehwere in France if I remember, goal machine in 08, Bogdan Stancu was also a top player for me, along with Gregory Thil.

He was still extremely good on 09, not sure about 10, though he is best played as an AML these days, his PA was over 170 iirc.

he was awesome, i thkn he won the world player of the year at 18 for me!

Originally Posted by Alexandre

Kim Kallstrom could be the new Pelé, I have never understood how he got lost.

Originally Posted by jayahr

Being a first team regular at one of Europe's top 20 clubs is not exactly a lost career, I'd say.

I agree, but what I meant is if he had turned out in real life the player he used to be in FM he could be a legend player.

When he would have been 14 at the start of the game? :p

I have 2 who I remember fondly:

Michalis Konstantinou - a Cypriot forward

Gaetano D'Agostino - Italian AMLC was great alongside he aforementioned Kennedy Bakircioglu...

Memories... :)

Konstantinou is fb. There are few more dependable targetmen on FM. :cool:

Andri Sigthorsson now runs a cafe in my home town Ulsteinvik in Norway...

Can you pop in, shake his hand for me and tell him he brought so much joy to my life banging in goals back in the day. He's still my favourite FM player ever. What a legend!

Hi,

Does anyone remember Charles Andre-Doudin, forgot which team he played for, somehwere in France if I remember, goal machine in 08, Bogdan Stancu was also a top player for me, along with Gregory Thil.

Arrr, Doudin. I remember him. I used to sign him for my Chesterfield sides, but he always wanted to move, so I'd cash-in. He was quality though.

Don't know where he is now though, I would assume still in Switzerland.

I was gonna say Collis and Orosco. I made sure I always swiped them from Cambridge whenever I started a new game even if they were completely made up players :D

Gianluigi Lentini- At one point, the world's most expensive player. On FM Italia he started the game injured for 18 months but turned out to be amazing once he recovered (especially with my front line of van Basten and Massaro :D). Shame he couldn't fulfill his FM potential in real life.

Nii Lamptey - Amazing on CM...not so much in real life.

Ian Moore - was a goalscoring machine on the earlier CM's.

Ibrahima Bakayoka, Francis Jeffers, Danny Cadamateri, Anatoli Todorov, Peter Prosper, Gareth Jellyman.

Gawd I remember that version.. Must be what.. CM2 I think?

I swear Bakayoko was purchased IRL solely because the manager had played the game.

And does my memory decieve me, or was it in the first Champ Man game when you had a very limited overseas player list and Christian Vieri was a promising 19 year old...

Andy Cole was on the maximum wages the game would allow: £9,999 a week.

Happy days. :D

Gawd knows where Samba is

Cherno Samba signed for finnish side FC Haka in 2008 but was released in January 2009 and is currently a free agent I believe.

Does anyone remember a Greek or Cypriot GK from AK something called Choitis? Not sure of the spelling but it was back in 2001/02.

I remember Selakovic and Aaritalo. Play them on each wing and you'd score bucket loads. I also remember getting Taribo West on a free and he was always awesome. What about Zarate? He went to pompy irl a couple of seasons ago and was pretty decent but on FM he'd get top scorer 3 or 4 seasons in a row.

I remember Ashley cole as a right midfielder, shocking marks. I also remember Rooney just before he left Everton, his contract was running out and very occationally you could snap him up on a free and he was a monster even then. I wonder what happened to the boy, you don't hear too much about him nowadays.

Does anyone remember a Greek or Cypriot GK from AK something called Choitis? Not sure of the spelling but it was back in 2001/02.

Dionisis Chiotis. Greek GK now playing in Cyprus. He spent years as a backup GK for AEK Athens I think.

Actually, "Cashley" came up through the youth system at Arsenal as a Striker, but it was Arsene who turned him into the left back he now is. FACT.

Dionisis Chiotis. Greek GK now playing in Cyprus. He spent years as a backup GK for AEK Athens I think.

That's the one. Top man. Absolute world beater if you played him. Same with Kasper Schmicheal if you gave him a few seasons on the bench.

I remember getting the legendary Sir Stanley Collymore for fulham in 98. Banged in goals.

Bojan Djordjic (sp?) was an awesome young winger on 00/01...

on FM10 he was my first signing... for Notts County.

That's the one. Top man. Absolute world beater if you played him. Same with Kasper Schmicheal if you gave him a few seasons on the bench.

I remember getting the legendary Sir Stanley Collymore for fulham in 98. Banged in goals.

I think you mean car parks. :D

I was gonna say Collis and Orosco. I made sure I always swiped them from Cambridge whenever I started a new game even if they were completely made up players :D

Gianluigi Lentini- At one point, the world's most expensive player. On FM Italia he started the game injured for 18 months but turned out to be amazing once he recovered (especially with my front line of van Basten and Massaro :D). Shame he couldn't fulfill his FM potential in real life.

Nii Lamptey - Amazing on CM...not so much in real life.

Ian Moore - was a goalscoring machine on the earlier CM's.

Ibrahima Bakayoka, Francis Jeffers, Danny Cadamateri, Anatoli Todorov, Peter Prosper, Gareth Jellyman.

Francis Jeffers currently with us at Sheff Wed but because he headbutted someone in either the first or second round of the carling cup this season hes been put on the transfer list and hasn't played since

I remember I had a player called Tariq Nabil in my palace game in 03/04(or was 01/02) and he was absolute superstar scoring 20 to 30 goals a game and even winning FIFA world player of the year. Does anyone know what happened to him

any remember NII LAMPTEY from the first game, he was amazing!!

looking on the editor on fm10 nii lamptey is still classed as a player

CM 93-94 Darren Caskey. I always remember Cantona from that game but IIRC he turned out okay in real life too.

CM01-02 Ben Thornley of Man Utd

FM 06- Alex Rhodes, Darren Pratley, Len (?) Pidgely, Jason Taylor, Nathan D'Laryea, Jason(?) Kennedy

CM 93-94 Darren Caskey. I always remember Cantona from that game but IIRC he turned out okay in real life too.

CM01-02 Ben Thornley of Man Utd

FM 06- Alex Rhodes, Darren Pratley, Len (?) Pidgely, Jason Taylor, Nathan D'Laryea, Jason(?) Kennedy

Lenny Pidgeley, GK came from Chelsea.

Jason Taylor - now at my club Rotherham Utd, but currently on loan at Rochdale.

And yes it is Jason Kennedy, from Middlesbrough.

nii lamptey was a young starlet, classed as the next pele, by pele himself. He won honours with every ghana youth team he played in and moved to anderlect where the changed the rules of the belguim league so he could make his debut at 16, become a star in the team, moved to psv where he also did well, but then went to aston villa where he didnt cut it before following ron atkinson to coventry, where he also didnt cut it. That was followed by stints in italy and argentina before going to china and eventually ended up back playing in ghana!

Paolo Vernazza for Arsenal on cm3 (?) was so good you could sell petit at the beginning of the game and play him all season long, and he'd score a bundle of goals too!

nii lamptey was a young starlet, classed as the next pele, by pele himself. He won honours with every ghana youth team he played in and moved to anderlect where the changed the rules of the belguim league so he could make his debut at 16, become a star in the team, moved to psv where he also did well, but then went to aston villa where he didnt cut it before following ron atkinson to coventry, where he also didnt cut it. That was followed by stints in italy and argentina before going to china and eventually ended up back playing in ghana!

Indeed, in fact he went from China to Saudi Arabia for a spell then went back to Ghana before finishing his career in South Africa.

Richard Wellens was outstanding too in some late-90s edition...

Also Sylvain Legwinski looked much better than he turned out to be after he left Monaco.

P.S. I know it's weird, but I kinda miss the old days when random, semi-obscure players could suddenly become world-class stars, despite being totally random/inaccurate versions of their real-life counterparts...

Realism, accuracy and knowledge is awesome, but the old, more amateurish, feel is more romantic.

No sign of "Fernando Cavenaghi"?

One of the goal-machine in FM05, as I remembered correctly.

According to Wiki', he is now playing at Bordeaux.

From stats, he plays quite okay, but never even heard of him though.

Another one of the best bargains perhaps? "Samuel Kuffour"

After his Bayern Munich career, he was like well-known flops.

According to Wiki', in April 2009 he signed 3-month contract with Asante Kotoko, a football club in Ghana.

Indeed, in fact he went from China to Saudi Arabia for a spell then went back to Ghana before finishing his career in South Africa.

In between he had a stint in German second division too, at Greuther Fürth. :)

Two I can remember from CM01/02

Alexander Farnerud - AM/F-LRC - Another Swede who was a brillant winger for my Newcastle team and Sweden. Now plays for Brondby in Denmark after winning the German League with Stuttgart in 06/07. Has also played for the weden side in real life.

Bojan Djordjic- AMC - Awesome player who replaced Veron in one of my games scoring 33 goals in a season. Currently plays for AIK after not getting enough games at Pymouth.

Charles Andre-Doudin last played for a club in 2006 and is only 23?

Former CM (01/02) star Furkan Bastan (Samsunspor) (Also FM06 he was still young talent even he were free agent) Currently 27 year old and Plays Turkish 2nd League (3rd Tier) Mardinspor and never been a star...

And there were Wael Reyad,Serge Mokofo and Pawel Brozek...wonder have they retired..

Wael Riad moved from Itesalat to El Gouna earlier this year. El Gouna is an Egyptian club.

Serge Makofo joined Grays Athletic this year, but moved (on loan) to Burton Albion after only 1 appearance.

Paweł Brożek plays for Wisła Kraków, a club in Poland. He's made 150 apps for them, scoring 69 goals, so he's very sucessful there.

Okay last one. My Polish is basic, VERY basic, but it appears that Andri Sigporsson played for Molde up until the end of 2004. Maybe he retired after that.

It's what is said there, retired after serious injury (knee ligaments).

Eddie Johnson! Absolute beast of a target man a couple of FMs ago.

Went to Fulham irl but couldn't break into the first team. Went on loan to Cardiff last year where he scored 2 goals in 30 apps.