Tina's Super Saints of Paisley

gavrenwick

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Spiro :)

Monday 24th August 2009

As Tina drove into the parking lot, she saw Gilmour standing on the entrance steps. He stood with his arms crossed, a look Tina already associated with anger/annoyance. As she parked up, she stepped out, and Gilmour was immediately on his way over to her car. He opened the passenger side and jumped straight in.

Morning, Stewart. I hope you greeted all staff like this,” said Tina cheerily. Gilmour didn’t smile.

You were right about James Rodwell.

Tina’s expression dropped instantly. “What has he done?

Yesterday afternoon he made a bid for the club. He waltzed straight into my office and just made a bid.

I hope you said no.

Gilmour frowned, “Of course I said no. But he seemed pretty adamant that he would be back with an improved offer. I might be chairman, but I can’t force the other shareholders to not sell off, especially at a profit. They’d be stupid not to.

Tina bit her lip, “I guess you’re right.

I’m expecting him to return very soon, but I think I’ve put him off for awhile.

I just don’t understand his interest, Stew. He owned Livingston for the best part of three days before giving it up.

I know, I know. I’ve been pondering the exact same things. Tina, I don’t own the club outright. If Rodwell learns of this, and I’m certain he will, then he has nothing stopping him from buying the other shares and wrestling me out of the chairman spot as majority owner.

Tina sat thinking, “Then how much of the club do you own?

Forty eight percent.

And if he bought the other shares up, he would outrank you...” mumbled Tina. She slouched into her seat.

I don’t have the money spare to invest in other shares to boost my own standing.

We need to do something, Stewart. We can’t be having James Rodwell purchasing this club. Not ever.

I agree with you. Anyway, I’m sorry to have troubled you with this, I just felt that with your previous experience of Rodwell that you’d have preferred to hear it from me.

I appreciate it.

There is another reason I told you though. He knows how emotional you can get, and he knows how important you are to the club, and to football in general.

So what?

I think he will come after you, Tina. Pick apart your life, try to control you. Don’t let him do it.

Tina laughed, “There is nothing in my life he can control. But I appreciate the kind consideration, of course.

Just be careful,” said Gilmour as he opened the car door. “I’d hate for him to get to you.

Tina saw the concern in Gilmour’s face as he stepped out and shut the door. The concern was a real one. A very, very real one.

Definitely an option, Spiro!

Tuesday 25th August 2009

Rodwell hadn’t re-appeared through the Monday, a thankful gift from God for both Tina and Gilmour. There had been an air of expectancy, but that had vanished as the day had wore on. Tuesday was here now, but the newspapers in Paisley weren’t so high on hope for tomorrows crunch match with Roma.

(taken from The Paisley Football Daily, written by Simon Love. 25.7.2009)

....and fans aren’t holding out much hope of progressing further along in Europe with the impending tie against Roma. Our beloved Buddies travel to Rome today for the second leg after suffering a two-one defeat back here at St Mirren Park just last week. Powell has been quoted as saying “I am hopeful of the players using the defeat as a building block for revenge on Wednesday.”

It’ll be a long way home if the Buddies fail to win over in the Italian capital. Coverage can be found on SkySports1 and SkySports1HD, kickoff at 7:45pm.

Tina ignored the rest of the paper. “I never said those words. I haven’t even spoken to a reporter since last week.

Valter shrugged, “You know what they are like, Tina. Just ignore it, grumpy.

He turned and began to write a report up on the current injury status. It wasn’t a very long report, Castarnado and Chris Smith still the only two injuries at the club. Across all three squads, that figure was a rather nice one to have on board.

It’s hard to ignore them,” she replied as she packed up some things into a small travel case. “They just make stuff up, making me look stupid in the process.

You can do that all by yourself though,” said the Italian, before needing to duck as the newspaper came flying across in direction.

Go and round up all the players you good for nothing layabout.

Valter laughed and left the office. Tina lifted her travel case onto the desk and struggled, but eventually succeeded, in closing it up. She wasn’t like a normal woman; she knew how much clothing she would need for travelling away. Most others took a whole shed load of clothing, like they were leaving for a week. She placed the case back on the floor before wheeling it out, locking her office behind her. Gilmour popped up in front of her, and offered to take the case.

What are you after?” asked Tina, curious as to his offering of help.

Just being a gentleman.

Liar. What’s going on?

I just called Rodwell’s personal office.

I'll ignore the obvious question of 'Why on earth?' and ask so?

His PA told me that he travelled out to Rome yesterday.

Tina sighed, “What the hell is he really after? He’s beginning to pi*s me off tremendously.

I know. Just keep an eye out over today and tomorrow.

Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.

And good luck with the match. Do us proud, Tina. And if you could even book us a place in the next round, you’d be a Queen here.

As they reached the elevator, Tina stepped in. “I’m already the Queen here,” she said with a smile, before the doors shut to take her to the lobby.

As the elevator reached the lobby, two men stood waiting for Tina as the doors opened. Steven Robb was standing with his agent, and Tina knew exactly what this meant. An offer from Leeds had been accepted a short while back, and it was seemingly obvious that Robb was now going to be on his way to North Yorkshire.

Steven,” said Tina, offering her hand at the same time, “I guess this means you’ll be leaving us?

The winger nodded, “Leeds offered me a good deal and the promise of some football.

Well, you know we couldn’t have given you that here. And at least you’ll get to try your luck in England. I hope it works for you.

I’m hoping so too,” he said with a smile before turning to leave. “The papers are with Gilmour. Good luck Tina.

As he left, agent in tow, Tina turned her attentions to the ensemble of noisy individuals lolling around the lobby. They were certainly a rabble, but they were her rabble.

Listen up guys,” she shouted, “And that especially means you, Fabrice, as you have the tendency to not pay attention.

The group laughed at the Frenchmen, who just frowned and ignored the baiting. “We have to catch our flight an hour later than planned, but we’re still leaving now. You can enjoy the thrills of Glasgow airport for an extra hour.

There was a collective sigh, but they picked their things up. Like a group of schoolchildren, Tina thought to herself. Valter came across and took the wheelcase from her. “Ready to go?

Ready as I’ll ever be. It seems that Claudio Ranieri is waiting for us, whether he will be expecting what we are hoping to give him though, is a different matter.

And what are we planning on giving him?”

A shock defeat, and elimination from Europe.

Whoever said romance was dead?

Tina frowned and walked towards the small coach outside. “You know for certain that I coined that phrase after Cassie ran off with Mr Government.

You got that right, you grumpy bugger. Why don’t you just go out and get laid?

I’m not after some hopeless fling.

It might do you good?

Salad might also do me good, but I can’t stand the stuff.

Fair point. Anyway, if we don’t get on this coach soon, they’ll leave without us. So let us make haste, fair maiden Powell,” said Valter, kneeling down next to the coach door and motioning for Tina to enter.

Why thank you sir Berlini,” she said as she jumped up the coach steps, but Valter didn’t follow. “Are you coming?

Valter frowned, “I think I’m stuck. My back won’t move.

Tina laughed, “You’re fifty four, Valter. You shouldn’t have knelt down in the first place.

Wednesday 26th August 2009

AS Roma vs. St Mirren

Stadio Olimpico

Europa League Fourth Qualifying Round – Second Leg (2-1)

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Jack Ross

DL; Diego Contento

DC; Lee Mair

DC; John Potter

MC; Andy Dorman

MC; Edgar Davids

MR; Keaghan Jacobs

ML; Fabrice Fernandes

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Febian Brandy

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Mo Camara, Hugh Murray, David Barron, Ricardo Vaz Te, Ciro Immobile

As Tina and her players stood in front of Stadio Olimpico, there was a sense of humility. St Mirren Park was so much smaller than this stadium, almost shockingly smaller. Tina could sense the apprehension emanating from the team, but there was nothing she could do; she felt it too.

There had been some transfer news coming back from Scotland as St Johnstone bolstered their left back position with the rather surprise signing of Cape Verde international Jimmy Modeste. He joins them on a free transfer after leaving previous club Chamois Niortais just a month back. One player leaving the SPL was Motherwell youngster Dario Quinn who took a step down the ladder to earn experience with Ross County.

Tina smiled when she heard that the young keeper she released just two weeks ago had found a new club. Jake Cunningham signed a two year deal with South coast English side Torquay United. He will do alright down there, Tina thought to herself.

The team entered the stadium, but stood to the side as Ranieri welcomed Tina personally. “Welcome to Stadio Olimpico, Tina.

Tina smiled and shook his hand, “Thanks very much. I hope you’re looking forward to a beating in this match.

I think it could be the other way round, dear. But regardless, I’m sure our two teams will put on a decent show for all in the stadium.

Let’s hope they do just that.

Ranieri nodded, smiled, and then left Tina at the reception. A club official approached and led the St Mirren contingent to the changing rooms. Valter caught up with Tina as they made their way down the hallways.

This brings back memories,” he muttered, “I haven’t been here in such a long time.

Does it look any different?

Not really. Boy, it does feel weird.

Valter, did you manage to get a proposed teamsheet of Roma?

The Italian nodded, but had the look of disappointment on his face as he handed Tina the sheet. “It’s right on here. But, I’d try to not be shocked as you work your way down the list...

Tina almost choked on the spot, “Holy sh*t. That’s a full strength side, Valter,” she said as she sat down on the nearest bench. “How the hell do we approach this? Claudio’s obviously not taking any chances.

The Italian shrugged his shoulders in response. “I’m sure there is a way.

• 2 weeks later...

When we go out there,” said Tina, no emotion on her face, “We need to show Roma that we aren’t lightweights who have just bumbled our way into this round of the tournament. I also don’t need to remind you on what lies beyond for us, and that defeat here isn’t the end of the world. Roma are a WORLD class side, light years ahead of us. You all know that’s true, but we also have our game plan. We have our own dreams, so let’s go out and play to the best of our abilities. We can simply do no more, and I’ll think no less of you when you come back in here, just over an hour from now.

As the players rallied and left for the kickoff, Tina pulled Valter aside. “We haven’t got a hope,” she muttered.

Like you said, they can only play to their standard.

Tina nodded and left to take her seat. As the players took their positions, the atmosphere was electrifying. Quite frankly, it’d be the biggest stadium they’d play in this season. The referee was German Michael Kempter, and he blew his whistle to signal the beginning of proceedings.

The Roma fans seemed extremely anxious in their seats, unknowing of to expect from this unknown outfit. Contento starts delightfully on the left and plays a delicious ball to Caiaffa. The midfield leader received it well before playing into the running path of Fernandes. He took a heavy touch though, and was easily intercepted by Nicolas Burdisso. At least the intent was there.

The first shot of the match came courtesy of Totti, but it was the next event that mattered more. The ball deflected off Contento and landed at the feet of De Rossi. The midfield general ran around the edge of the area, pulling defenders in towards him. Despite cries from the sideline, they continued and failed to watch Vucinic. The ball through was simple, but Degre came flying out and the shot smacked him in the chest. It was a simple block save in the end.

How many times do they need to be told to not all close down the same man?” muttered Tina, confident that her man between the sticks would do alright when called upon. She couldn’t have called it any more wrong.

A cross field pass easily picked out Taddei, who made his way down the right unopposed by the aging Jack Ross. He knew he was beaten and stuck a leg out, the Taddei just skipped on. He crossed to the centre, and Degre came flapping for it, completely missing it and having to scramble aimlessly to try and prevent Baptista from sticking it in the goal. But he did, with ease. The Buddies were a goal down, and now staring elimination in the eye.

A period of the game now rested on containment and the prevention of conceding anymore so quickly, but the tide turned to the surprise of everyone. As the game teetered on the edge of obscurity, Dorman brought the whole place alive with a mazey run that earned a corner. It could well have been a goal if he had chance to pull the trigger, but a corner sufficed as Fernandes bent the ball in. It fell to Dorman in the area, but his feet were taken from below him by Mexes, and Brighi cleared the ball. The whole travelling section cried PENALTY, and the referee must have thought it too as he consulted his linesman who had flagged on the right. The referee turned, and a thousand or so lungs were held as he pointed to the spot. A huge cheer erupted, and Dorman immediately picked the ball up.

The Roma fans sat on the edge of their seats, but the St Mirren fans were stood up completely. Dorman took his run up, and dispatched it neatly past Artur to level the scoreline. The cheer was much bigger than the previous one, and all of a sudden a slight piece of hope had emerged for Tina’s side.

The game was, from the first goal, going to be a tale of who could take their chances on the night. Chances were extremely few and far between, Degre and Artur not actually having made a save between them of any real note. And the story continued the same when Guberti won a corner on the left after hitting his cross against Contento. He took the corner aswell, bending it high over the head of nearest man Dorman and onto the head of defensive all rounded Nicolas Burdisso, who buried his powerful effort past Degre with minimal interruption from the exact men intended to mark him.

Oh for **** sake boys! You’re supposed to prevent exactly that by doing something called MARKING!

Roma went wild for their goal, as you’d expect, and the St Mirren fans simply slumped into another quiet stupor. The team followed suit as their heads suck down. Tina felt sorry for them, but had no sympathy for a failure to master the basics.

It could have been made much better when Dorman found the ball at his feet in the box, unmarked. But the former New England man seemed baffled at having so much time and space, and he ended up wasting the chance by dragging his shot into Artur’s hands. Artur took the ball and lofted it to Vucinic , who knew exactly what he had to do.

He took it around Mair and burned him with a searing amount of pace, before he put the ball through Potter’s legs. He now had a clean sight of goal, and Degre was his only stumbling block. Vucinic hit the shot low and hard, but Degre was equal to it. What he wasn’t equal to was Potter pounding up behind Vucinic, the ricochet hitting the defender and looping over Degre’s flapping hands. Vucinic smiled to the cameras as he rolled it into an empty goal to put Roma 3-1 up. To cap it off, Degre and Potter squared up to each other before being pulled apart.

Tina sank her head into her hands. They now had to try and keep it respectable.

Not good at all , tenthree.

No-one really knew what to expect from Tina at half time, though the general feeling was one of disappointment. “I don’t know what you are expecting here guys, but it really isn’t going to be a roasting. Roma are a much better side than we are, we knew that from the start, and we still know that now. They have millions of pounds at their disposal, while we come together on the premise of small fees and loans. You’re still a great set of players and have done us proud to have gotten this far. Let us still not forget that we are still in this, so play to the instructions, do what you can, and you never know what might happen.

The teamtalk was intended to get the players into a mood wherein they were willing to carry on with the game, and not sink underneath a Roma barrage. But as the second half kicked off, it was clear that it just wasn’t going to be St Mirren’s day. A quick pass and move piece of play tore open the St Mirren backline, and allowed Vucinic in on goal. He struck his shot hard, but Degre got down doggedly, turning it round the post. Potter and Mair began the inquisition before Degre forced them to concentrate.

The game wasn’t going to get any easier as Ranieri’s side smelled a drubbing on the cards. They weren’t too far off the mark either, as Totti hit a splendid lobbed shot off the crossbar, inciting more words around the backline. The defence was in complete disarray, and as early in the half it was, a change needed making. Jack Ross looked the biggest culprit out on the field, and lost out as David Barron came on to replace him. “Hopefully that will shore the defence up,” remarked Tina as the game restarted with St Mirren in possession.

It didn’t last that long when the ball made its way back to Totti. The dynamo controlled the ball with slick, ease of movement before flicking over onto the right side for Taddei. As Taddei set off down the wing, Contento came across him and blocked him off, but despite stumbling, the winger carried on regardless. His run from there was magical as he beat Potter and dragged it onto his right foot. The shot was low and hard, but Degre palmed it to his left. Mair had no concept of Baptista’s location, and that cost St Mirren their hope. The former Arsenal man ghosted in and side footed the loose ball through the gap between Degre and post, the cheers ringing out around Olimpico for the fourth time tonight.

Tina couldn’t feel anything but disappointment as Degre plucked the ball from his own net again, the usually tall character now shrinking with every goal scored. St Mirren looked lost, and Tina felt hopless as to how she could help her players get on track with some decent play. Valter knew what she was feeling, and felt just as helpless to her as she felt to them. “Get together boys,” he yelled, stepping in front of Tina, “Play to your abilities!

A few heads nodded in response, but most of the others had lost interest now. It was only a matter of time before the game turned nasty on the Scottish side’s behalf, and it happened immediately after the goal. A run from Brighi opened up a nice path for Baptista, but Caiaffa had other ideas upon seeing him gallop away. He hacked at him from behind, dragging him down and instantly earning him a yellow. Caiaffa didn’t seem to care, knowing the yellow card wouldn’t affect him in Europe as St Mirren were obviously on their way out.

It was well until the 75th minute that Perea finally arrived at Olimpico, having spent the rest of the game watching his midfield lose the ball constantly. A pass from Dorman found Barron, and the fullback threaded it through for Perea, and he took a first time shot. It was actually quite a good shot, but Artur had it handled all the way and made a fairly comfortable save in the end.

Roma weren’t done with St Mirren though, and they made it clear with such a beauty of a goal. Vucinic and Totti combined delightfully on the edge of the area with a supremely well worked one-two move that ended with a simple and soft finish by Totti to complete the rout and grab his first of the game. There is no doubt that he deserved it, but Tina couldn’t contain her anger anymore. She threw her clipboard at the empty seat where she was sitting before. She knew it was a stupid idea, as the cameras were watching, but she couldn’t help it.

There wasn’t much else to do but watch the clock now, and that even went slowly as Riise picked up an injury for Roma. He came off for the truly hated Stephen Okaka, the villain of Paisley, but he had little to no time to make any impact on the game. If he’d have scored a late goal, that would have just completed the day completely.

As the full time whistle blew, Tina was first up to meet Ranieri near the tunnel entrance, “I can only say well played, Claudio, as much as I might hate you right now.

The Italian smiled before shaking her hand, “Your time will come Miss Powell, and I’m not the only who thinks so. Good luck with everything, though I do pray we don't meet with level skilled sides. I think you would have me.

Tina stood and watched the players leave the pitch, taking in all the sights of such a massive stadium. St Mirren had been soundly beaten, and had crashed out of Europe in the process, but Tina still felt hope.

How wrong she was as she spotted James Rodwell heading towards her.

AS Roma 5 (Baptista 14, 61, Burdisso 31, Vucinic 45, Totti 84)

St Mirren 1 (Dorman pen23)

AS Roma progress 7-2 on aggregrate.

Attendance; 29,196

MOTM; Julio Baptista

Yeah chester, it was really disappointing.

As he marched in her direction, Tina turned her back in an attempt to escape into a throng of people. Her plan backfired when she got held up by handshakes of the Roma staff. “Good to see you again, Tina,” remarked Rodwell, flanked by two of the same heavies that he had sat with in the Livingston chairman’s office all those months ago.

I can’t really say the same for you, James. I had hoped to have seen the last of you back in Livingston, but now it seems that you’re around more than I wish you were,” she replied as she shook Christian Damiano’s hand. The Roma assistant left down the tunnel and was the last staff member Tina shook hands with. “What do you want?” she asked, purposely not allowing him the chance to speak after she had.

I’m here to speak with you, if you’ll give me a minute?” he asked, motioning to sit in the plenty of now vacant chairs.

I don’t have the time, James. I have a squad, who will be feeling pretty dejected, to encourage.

I know, I saw the match.

Figured you might. Anyway, I need to go. If you want to make an appointment, call my secretary. Don’t turn up on a whim again, please.

Tina turned and began to walk down the tunnel, “You might want to her what I have to say regarding my attempted purchase of St Mirren.

Tina stopped on the spot, bringing a smile from Rodwell. The timing on his words aggravated Tina. From being a child she had been such an inquisitive girl, and it had on more than one occasion been the source of annoyance for her. She turned and walked back, brushing straight past Rodwell and sitting in a seat. “Sit the f*ck down, and get on with it, James.

Rodwell took his long coat off, handed it to one of his men, and sat next to her. “I want St Mirren, Tina, you know that. I made mistakes with Livingston, I have admitted to all of that before, but I’ve seen how lucrative football can be. I know you think I am purposely setting out to get on your back, mess you and your club around, but I can assure you here and now, I’m not.

Tina rolled her eyes, “How long have you been working on that sob story?

It’s the truth.

What do you want me for anyway? I am the club manager, at the behest of the chairman. I control very little, and you’ve come to me expecting what?

I want you to talk with Gilmour, get him interested in the idea of selling his shares on.

Have you ever considered that he might just not want to sell? Gilmour holds St Mirren to heart, has a debt free background and actually supports the team. Would you sell?

Everyone has their price, Tina.

Not Gilmour, I’m afraid. I have to go, James, my players will be wondering where I’ve got to.

Rodwell nodded and got up, following as Tina headed back into the tunnel. “I hope you know that if I take charge of the club, that I will be keeping you on, Tina. There will be money for transfers, as well.

Tina turned and stared at a man she really despised, “I know what you’re doing and it won’t work. Go home, and find something better to do with your time instead of pestering me and my club.”

As Tina vanished out of sight, Rodwell exploded. He picked up a bottle from the floor and threw it across the pitch, annoying the cleaners who were doing the rounds already. “That woman is beginning to grate on me,” he said to the man on his left.

Think she bought the whole speech you gave?” he replied, staring at his boss.

If I know Tina like I think I’m beginning to, then no, she won’t have bought a word. Which subsequently makes her a stumbling block, and you know what happens from there,” he said, looking right back at his guard.

He nodded and pulled his mobile out.

Terk - you're totally going to receive more of 'those' images. ;)

Thursday 27th August 2009

The plane trip home had been rather subdued, understandably, as the players were left ruing what might have been for them. St Mirren had been admirable, but Roma has been ruthless. It wasn’t as if Ranieri could have approached the situation any other way, an upset might have seen him lynched by Roma fans.

I must say thank you for the one hundred and forty eight thousand pounds of prize money I received a cheque for today,” said Gilmour as he walked into Tina’s office. “I know it’s not much of a consolation, considering we got eliminated.

Tina shrugged her shoulders, “We knew to expect it, to be honest. Roma were never going to be easy, and after they scored that second away goal here, that was it. We gave it our best though.

I’m proud of those wins over PSV, Tina. I just hope you and the players enjoyed the experience of taking part. That is all that matters, to me anyway. We weren’t ever going to win it, if we’re being serious.

We weren’t, but I had hoped to bring some more money in for you.

The club is doing fine as it is. Don’t worry about it,” he said as he turned to leave, doubling back to ask something, “Did our friend James Rodwell show up in Rome, Tina?

Tina hesitated for a second, knowing that if she said yes he would ask a hundred questions and worry persistently. And if she said no, and he found out she was lying, it would hardly do her any good. Sadly, she didn’t go for the right option.

Nope, no sign of him,” she replied, avoiding eye contact with her boss.

Gilmour stared for a second, “Is that so?” he said in response, before leaving.

She instantly rued the decision to lie, but she didn’t want to discuss the man who had ruined what she was building at Livingston. But it wasn’t case of wanting to be deceitful to Gilmour, that’s what people wouldn’t understand. It was too late now anyway, time to forget it. There were more pressing matters now anyway, as the League Cup Third Round draw was taking place at lunchtime. The previous round had seen only one upset, Arbroath needing penalties to dispatch SPL Hamilton, earning them a spot in the next round. Sadly for St Mirren, they would be unseeded, leaving them open to meet Rangers or Celtic.

The draw paired Kilmarnock with Falkirk to begin with, before giving Second Division Clyde a home tie against Celtic. That would be massive for the lower league team, who beat Inverness to get there. Ross County were next out, but they were luckier in pulling Dundee United out of the hat. Tina at up and took notice when St Mirren were the seventh team out, a home tie against Motherwell their prize for joining at this stage.

Queen of the South got Hibernian, a tie which will be open for both sides to win. Airdrie United were given a tough away tie to Aberdeen, Raith Rovers getting Hearts. That left the final match as Arbroath getting Rangers, a prize for the upset over Hamilton.

Happy with the draw?” asked Valter as he pounded into the office, “It could have been worse for us.

It could have been. We can beat Motherwell, we know that.

You seem dis-interested,” replied Valter, noticing the lack of care in Tina’s tone.

I do care. I’m just more worried about the defence of the Scottish Cup. We learn our fate next month, and that’s one trophy I am bothered about.

Well it would make you a hero if you retained it.

Tina smiled, “You know full well I’d like to make myself a hero here.

Valter smiled before leaving, “Was there ever a glass ceiling above you?

Tina smirked, “Never.

Tina is one of the lads! :D

Friday 28th August 2009

Calderon wants a move home,” were the words that welcomed Tina to St Mirren Park.

What? Why? We’ve only just god damn signed him, Valter.

I know, but the poor guy is homesick.

The words were like a kick in the teeth for Tina. Antonio Calderon had only joined St Mirren at the beginning of August, but had now seemingly sent out signals of his unhappiness of being in Scotland. The arrival of Diego Contento probably didn’t help the matter. “Accept his request,” she muttered as she made her way into her office. Valter nodded and went off to deliver the news to Gilmour. A bid was already pending from Spanish side C.D. Lugo, so he is most likely already packing to be on his way home. The bid was the same fee paid by St Mirren and Tina for him to come from Jaen.

There was other transfer news on this poorly begun Friday; six bids having been made for want away midfielder Garry Brady. The former Newcastle United player has expressed the desire to move since his massive fall down the pecking order, and bids have come in from Barnsley, Blackpool, Sheffield United, Plymouth, Preston and Coventry. It didn't take much perusal for Tina as she handed all the faxes back to Jackie to be replied to. The whole transfer window had been a quiet one anyway, as Rangers plug along without any major additions to their squad.

For a day that had started so poorly, it wasn’t going to get much better as she had to deliver some bad news to Allan Johnston. As he came into the office, he sat down and could tell it wasn’t going be any good news. “The club has decided to release you from your contract Allan,” said Tina, trying to gauge his feelings as she told him. “We can’t give you first team football, and we can’t guarantee you that a club will come in. We feel it is best that we let you go of our own accord, thereby giving you the best chance to secure a club on your own terms.

Allan seemed to take the news fairly well, “If I’m honest, Tina, it’s a young man’s game these days. Unless you’re extremely fit for an old fella, then there just isn’t any place for us. I think if anything it’d be best for me to drop down the leagues. Injuries have taken away my speed and stamina, maybe it’s time for me to quit altogether.

I wish you all the best, regardless of what you end up doing. There is always a coaching spot for you here if you decide that is what you want to go in to. If not, I wish you well in finding a new club,” she replied, actually feeling quite sorry for the former Sunderland and Kilmarnock man. His fitness had never been at all point low, not even fit enough to warrant selection for the reserve team by Valter.

Thanks Tina,” was all he said as he left, his direction being the finance department. His severance was around £6,000, a rather fitting amount for such an experienced player. Tina watched as he left before slouching into her chair, tired of the day’s events already. Her office phone beeped about fifteen minutes later, waking her from a light sleep. She rubbed her eyes before picking up the receiver.

Yep,” she said in a slurred voice.

It’s Jackie. I have a reporter here who wants to come up and talk with you. Would that be okay?

Not really, Jackie. I’m not in the mood for the media today.”

There was a slight pause from the other end, “They’ve come all the way from Holland to speak with you.

Tina sighed to herself. She really didn’t want to speak to the media, but her compassionate side overruled the other half of her psyche. “You better get her sent in then,” she replied, putting the receiver down immediately to give herself time to straighten up. A quick sort out of her hair with a handheld mirror and a change of top instantly converted her appearance from sleepy office head to classy manageress. A knock on the door brought Tina away from the handheld mirror. “Come in,” she yelled.

To Tina’s surprise, it wasn’t a man who came in, but a woman. “Hi, Tina. My name is Abigail van Beuren and I’m a reporter for the PSV Fanzine back in Eindhoven.

If there was ever an award for over the top introduction, I think you’d win hands down,” said Tina with a smile, offering her hand out.

Not only was she female, but she was absolutely beautiful.

I hope you realise that you are roughly a month too late if you have come to talk about us knocking PSV out,” remarked Tina, a smile spreading across her face in order to show the comment as a humorous one.

I’ve only just returned from a month long vacation and I’m the senior writer for the PSV Eindhoven first team.

Did no-one cover your job for the month? Surely an article has been written about the matches?

Someone did, of course. I’m here to write about you. The PSV fans are still holding an extremely sour taste in their mouths over what happened between the two teams. Rutten is a man wanted gone already, simply for flopping out of the competition like the French national side do on a regular basis."

Tina pretended for a second to be shocked by the comment, but held it in humour aswell. “You might want to be careful, we have a few French players on the books.

They’d be better choosing another country. Rutten has been under a hell of a lot of fire since you made your mark,” said Abigail, pulling out her notepad as she spoke.

As someone I used to care about once said, ‘We cause chaos wherever we go’. Her words ring true, obviously. We had Roma worried for a short while aswell.

I noticed. PSV haven’t won a match since you sent us out of Europe. Rutten is on the edge of walking, the fans want him gone, and the board have no idea what they are doing.

Sounds like a real mess over there,” said Tina, motioning to the coffee pot with a nod. Abigail shook her head in response and Tina went on to make one for herself. “Well, do let me know if the PSV job becomes available. I wouldn’t say no,” she said laughing.

Abigail smiled broadly, “Don’t worry, I won’t use that quote. It won’t stand well with your current board.

Appreciated. But to manage a club like PSV would be a dream. For now I’m here, but who knows where I will end up.

Is there any place in particular you would actually drop this job for to manage immediately?

Tina thought for a second before weighing up her dreams. “There are two; Swansea City, which is my hometown club, and Juventus. I can’t describe how much I would enjoy making the Old Lady new.

You’re from Swansea then? I had thought you were from Cardiff.

Tina smiled and sipped from her mug, “Not every Welsh person hails from Cardiff.

Abigail laughed as she realised the simple error she had made. It was like a tourist asking any English person what London was like. “We recently heard that you had become single? I ask courteously of course, without the intent to pry.

Are you asking as a journalist or as a person interested?

That’s for me to know and you to guess.

For the first time Tina felt a slight bit of sexual tension between Abigail and herself, but wasn’t sure how to read it. “I know we’ve only just met, but when are you going back to Eindhoven?”

Abigail smiled, “Three days.

Would you like to be a guest of mine for our game against Kilmarnock tomorrow? And then go for a drink with me afterwards?

I’d love to,” replied Abigail.

Gav, I'm not sure if you did this on purpose, but I just burst out laughing at work. If it was incidental, then I suggest you google Abigail Van Buren and join in laughing with me.

'Tis but an homage, no ?

Sorry chaps, never heard of her and have no interest in finding out, in fear of tainting my own characters. Just one of those coincidental things I guess!

Saturday 29th August 2009

Kilmarnock vs. St Mirren

Rugby Park

Scottish Premier League (3/38)

GK; Vincent Degre (7 apps, 0 goals)

DR; Jack Ross (43 apps, 1 goal)

DL; Diego Contento (1 app, 0 goals)

DC; Paul Wotton (2 apps, 1 goal)

DC; Michael Parkhurst (2 apps, 0 goals)

DMC; Edgar Davids (2 apps, 0 goals)

MC; Andy Dorman (60 apps, 17 goals)

MC; Alejandro Caiaffa (7 apps, 0 goals)

FC; Fabrice Fernandes (8 apps, 1 goal)

ST; Edixon Perea (8 apps, 3 goals)

FC; Febian Brandy (4 apps, 0 goals)

Today began as a day of no respect.

After his insistence on leaving, Antonio Calderon wasted no time in moving on. His agent must have had the deal arranged in principle as he left early in the morning. Gilmour signed the papers and Calderon left without as much as a goodbye to the other players or even Tina. That’s respect for you.

Two representatives began Tina’s day, one from Blackpool and another calling from Coventry. They were both after St Mirren players, and after a brief error in the identity of one, it turned out both were after the same one. Stephen O’Donnell was the man in question, his transfer listing brining interest from four clubs, but these two being the only two willing to make a move. Both offers were the same, and both at the base fee that had been bandied around; £46,000.

The arrival of the Blackpool scout had prevented Tina from beginning training at the time she had planned, so they postponed as Valter wasn’t present either. It wasn’t ideal, but Tina still had little faith in her coaching team, so the training waited an hour before it finally began. The players were surprised to learn of Tina implementing a new formation, but one man was less than happy about it.

You can’t expect us to train the players in anticipation of your tactic and then suddenly change it,” yelled Stuart Balmer. The first team coach was seemingly less than impressed, and his anger told Tina all she needed.

Stuart, these are professional footballers. I appreciate what you are saying about implementation, but these boys are no fourteen year olds, even if you yourself are acting like one right now.

Balmer took the exact offense intended by Tina, “How dare you! You waltz in here and you tear up everything set up by Gus. You’ve destroyed the side he built up, bringing in one trick pony’s, foreigners and unknown quantities. You’ve made a real mess here, Tina, and you know it.

The players stood and watched the whole scene unfold, “How have I made a mess?

Just look at Hemdani, Calderon, Johnston. You release the most experienced player we have and the most expensive one we had, and send a Spanish kid packing after less than a month here.

You know nothing of what you are saying, Stuart. Watch your mouth or reap the consequences.

The team is already reaping the consequences of your actions. You have royally ****ed up.

I warned you.”

What you going to do?

Tina turned her back on him and stood looking at the players, “I need staff behind me who are supportive, provide constructive advice and help me arrive at the correct decisions.

You mean a lap dog like Valter?

Tina turned abruptly, “You’re fired, Stuart,” she said coldly, before picking up a bag of footballs and heading into the middle of the pitch to begin training.

We never liked you anyway,” muttered Andy Dorman as he brushed past Balmer.

He was being such a pain in the actual game, SWalton. He had to go! :D

The training session without Balmer had gone extremely well, considering he wasn’t hampering everything Tina tried to get the boys practicing. The match was now upon Tina and the boys, their first since the drubbing received from Roma. The biggest thing Tina was worried about would be the mindset of the players after such a defeat. How they came out for this game would speak volumes of their integrity as professionals.

I know how you are still feeling,” said Tina as she sat amongst her players. “I still feel the same. The disappointment, anger, sense of failure still lingers, and we all know that. But we can’t go on and let that affect us for the rest of the season. We have Kilmarnock here today, waiting just across the hallway and they are coming here looking to take advantage of our previous fixture and use it against us. We can’t let them do that today, especially not on home turf.”

As the referee knocked to let the players know the time was up, Tina excused herself to her office. She shot up the stairs, and slammed the door behind. She undid her jeans, yanked them right off, and took her t-shirt now. She had a little giggle to herself as she thought of someone randomly walking in. She changed and headed back down to the pitch side just in time for the game to kick off.

Valter’s face almost dropped to the floor when he saw the new look Tina. Fans and players alike had come to associate her pitch side image to that of jeans and a shirt, but now she was completely reformed. She stood sporting a proper suit, but not one that would make her look like a man, more like a very, very classy woman. The suit was dark blue in colour, and the whole thing complimented her shape. Valter had to lift up David Robertson’s jaw before she noticed. “Stop ogling man,” he said, laughing straight after. Tina took her seat and smiled to herself, instantly knowing how much the respect for her had improved over the last ten seconds.

Kilmarnock kicked the game off, Bryson and Burchill doing the honours. It wasn’t long before they made headway down the field and gave a stinging test to Degre’s hands. The French keeper had done little wrong in the Roma game, and he showed once again why he was St Mirren’s first choice with a brilliant fingertip save to deny Burchill. The save brought a respite from the barrage, allowing St Mirren’s defence to re-group.

The start had been fast and quick from Kilmarnock, but it soon faded into little more than stray passes and long range efforts, only one of them even requiring Degre to use his hands. St Mirren were producing nothing, and it wasn’t sitting well with the management. “Why aren’t we trying to get forward? We have three players in striking positions, yet I’m extremely sure none of them have touched the ball.

Gavin Skelton was causing Jack Ross some real issues on the right hand side, and it was getting quite worrying. Twice he had simply passed around him with Fowler, and Ross had no real speed to get back at him before any sort of cross was produced. One of the crosses found Kevin Kyle, and his header almost looped over Degre, but he saved it with a firm tip over the bar. Degre exploded at his defence, furious that no-one picked up Kyle and at Ross for failing at stopping Skelton again.

It took almost twenty eight minutes for St Mirren to even get the ball forward, and while it was great to see them doing so, it amounted to very little. Fernandes struggled to make anything with the ball, Perea and Brandy not providing him with much space to work a ball for them. In the end he laid it off for Ross, who smashed a rocket just over wide of the post. It was a fine effort, but one that could and should have been worked a little better.

Sadly, Kilmarnock hit on the counter attack. Fowler and Burchill played a one two after receiving the ball from Alan Combe, and he sped away down the right. Contento wasn’t present after going up for the attack, and only Parkhurst was present. He now had three men to stop, as Kyle joined the two on the prowl. Fowler squared it for Burchill, but he dummied it, tricking Parkhurst. Kyle was behind him, and the former Sunderland side footed past Degre to put Kilmarnock a goal up. Parkhurst felt responsible, but Degre consoled him. It was just one of those things. Tina was animated on the sidelines, desperate on the team keeping their heads, “Don’t let this bring you down, guys! You’re still more than in this.

Heads did drop though, and while Kilmarnock made little effort to push the ball back against a dejected team, St Mirren managed nothing. For ten minutes the game stood stagnant, a few odd tackles being called back for being the only events of note. Edgar Davids was doing a supreme job in tidying up after the failings of the two boys in front of him, and it would be the aging Dutch dynamo that would spark something at long, long last. With no shots on goal, it was downright needed.

He won the ball from Burchill in the centre circle, and moved the ball out to Contento as he made a run forward. He received the ball back, as he had seemingly hoped for and found himself in space. He now the choice of three strikers to play the ball to and he chose wisely. Brandy made the run and his pace totally left Frazer Wright in his wake. The on-loan man took one touch to put the ball onto his right side before curling a shot round Combe and level the score.

It was half time, and the tide had turned. “Time for some words of magic,” said Tina as she walked down the tunnel.

Febian has given us all a way back into this game with the potential of sealing three points. Come on guys, we know we can play better than we were out there. The time has come for us to stop thinking of losing out to Roma, because I know that’s exactly what the problem is. We’re in a different place right now, with different goals, outcomes and possibilities. Let’s drop the no hope attitude and go out to win, because you all know you can. Parky, I’m taking you off,” said Tina as she turned to the American, his leg currently being dealt with by McPhail. He had come off with some niggling in his leg, and it was better to be safe than sorry on these occasions. Innes would take his spot.

Before they knew it, they were being thrust back out into the fray for the second half. Tina went down ahead, as always, and took her seat. Hopefully the player instructions would take their effect and bring the three points home for St Mirren.

Fernandes and Perea kicked the game off for the fourth time of the day, and the fans immediately had something to shout about. Tina’s side came out battling, and the home Kilmarnock fans didn’t like it. Perea and Davids linked up well to work some space for Ross, who stormed down the right with pace that not even Tina had seen him spend. He didn’t stop as Clancy came to stop him in his tracks, and he went past him with a deft touch before whacking a superb shot goalwards. It dipped at the last minute, forcing Combe into a terrific save. It was the best piece of play that Tina had seen Ross participate in and likely will be the only one for awhile.

Kilmarnock had to stem the tide a little, knowing full well that if they gave too much away then Tina’s side would take advantage fully. They slowed the game down well and began to work from the back, something Tina needed to adjust for. A switch of formation saw Brandy pull out to the left and Fernandes into a more familiar wing position on the right. It was intended as a move to stretch the Kilmarnock back line in a different fashion to how they were functioning earlier, and it worked after just seven minutes.

Davids was dominating from his defensive midfield position and his ball winning was allowing Caiaffa the freedom to roam that he so loved. He made a forward run and latched onto the end of a Davids pass, before tucking inside and flicking it through for Perea. The Colombian took one touch before attempting to hit the ball across Combe’s goal, but the keeper was on key once more to get down and get his body fully behind it. “What do we need to do to beat this guy?” muttered Tina as she watched him perform his save. It was going to take something special, which was the obvious part.

The move to play wider benefited St Mirren completely and Contento came out of his shell as the game moved on. Kilmarnock brought Burchill off for Sammon before Contento would have his chance. A run down the right by Fernandes brought quite a few players out towards him, while Contento ghosted in on the left. Fernandes’ ball found him perfect, but despite his first touch being a class apart, his shot was poor and scuffed. It went wide without as much as a whimper, and it did bring a sarcastic cheer from the home crowd.

Jim Jefferies was obviously getting slightly worried about his team’s chances of securing even a point when he made his second substitute, Invincibile off for defensive midfielder Pascali. “You’ve got Jefferies running,” said Valter as the substitute took place, a smile returned to him in response.

There was then a moment of pure genius. Perea, who had been completely silent for the whole match suddenly came alive with skill. Ross fed him the ball from deep in the right back position with a half arsed pass/clearance. Perea picked the ball up and moved it on quickly to Fernandes, who flicked it back to him for a one-two. Perea then turned into Pele with the ball at his feet as he nutmegged Clancy before rounding Combe and slotting the ball home. The away section exploded, and scenes on the sideline matched just those in the stands.

Jefferies threw his clipboard onto the floor and slumped into his seat, yelling profanities to his staff and players. St Mirren were a goal up, and Tina was absolutely delighted. The mood completely changed, and Tina didn’t feel the need to look so formal on the sidelines. She needed to be in the technical area, and so with that she took her jacket off and rolled up her sleeves. She also undid the top two buttons on her shirt, completely transforming her look.

The Kilmarnock staff were ogling, all except Jefferies, while the decision was also noted by the Kilmarnock players. Pascali almost fell over his own jaw. Tina smiled to herself as her side went in search of a third goal, Perea and Brandy linking up well only to see Brandy shoot closer to the corner flag than goal. The intent was there and in Tina’s mind, while the ball was at that end, it wasn’t at St Mirren’s. Kilmarnock lacked anything though, and the players were seeking support from their manager.

The clock ran down much too quickly for Kilmarnock, and much too slowly for St Mirren, but run down it did. Tina smiled as the final whistle called an end to a rather quiet second half, but it was victory for St Mirren, a very hard earned victory to put an end to a disappointing last week. Jefferies shook hands with Tina, but it was obvious he cared little for doing it.

Tina smiled as she welcomed her players off the pitch, before turning her head to see Abigail standing there. “I’ve got an article for you to read,” she said, “Plus you owe me a coffee. Or a beer.

Kilmarnock 1 (Kyle 28)

St Mirren 2 (Brandy 41, Perea 80)

Attendance; 12,522

MOTM; Edixon Perea

TINA POWELL: THE REAL STORY

written by Abbi van Bueren

Fans may not be very happy to learn that I made a visit to speak with St Mirren manager Tina Powell, the same manager whose side knocked out our beloved PSV from European football just a couple of weeks back.

But I wanted to know more about her; I wanted to find out what made her tick, who she was and what made her a good manager. For that I had to speak with her players, but the first and foremost point that I wanted to expand on was the woman herself. Tina Powell, 28, was born in the Welsh town of Swansea on the 6th of December, 1981. After a normal childhood, she would spend many of her evenings watching her father lead training for the several Welsh football clubs that he managed, most notably Airbus FC Broughton. It’s not quite PSV Eindhoven, I know, but the pair then made a massive step up when Dick Powell took the Wales job in July 2006.

What followed was an extraordinary run through an extremely impossible looking group and the elimination of England in the same said stage. Wales met their maker in the form of Jesper Gronkjaer in extra time against Denmark, It was heartbreak to lose out so late for the Welsh camp, and it was made worse when manager Dick Powell died of cancer, an illness he had hidden from everyone except his daughter, Tina. Then came the unbelievable court case against Dean Saunders, current Welsh national team manager, after a contractual dispute. The dispute was of course won by Saunders, despite persistent claims from Tina that the contract should have been in her name.

She moved on though, and wound up in Scotland managing Livingston in the Scottish First Division. Her season started excellently, and the club came along in leaps and bounds under her. She was adept in the transfer market, and led the team to the League Cup final. Her side also sat in 2nd place in the league, but disaster would soon strike once more. The club hit extreme financial difficulties under Chairman Angelo Massone, and subsequently went out of business before the season had finished. All the hard work that Tina and her players had built for had gone up in smoke, and once again she was left with nothing but her partner, Cassie Frost, 25. As if things couldn’t have gotten any worse, Tina had extreme problems with a stalker who used to work at the club, Bekim Cana, and things hit dangerous levels when he kidnapped the couple. Bekim wound up dead after being shot by an undercover police officer from Albania. Tina was shot in the process putting her in a coma for around a month. Some people didn’t think she would pull through, but she did, and moved straight back into management.

Her second job saw her wind up in Paisley, managing St Mirren, a side with no real history of note but who had just earned a European spot through their cup exploits. Manager Gus McPherson took them there but stepped down after the season to pursue other management interests in England. Tina took the job and immediately got them firing as they steamrollered Dacia Chisinau in Europe. She then came head to head with our dear Rutten as her side drew PSV in the next round. What followed was two shocking 1-0 wins for St Mirren, ending the PSV Euro journey before it had even begun. Consequently, Rutten’s side are yet to win in the league either. St Mirren were knocked out by Roma in the next round, but not after giving it a good run.

St Mirren, having just beaten Kilmarnock by two goals to one on the night I wrote this, now sit top of the SPL league table. No-one could have expected such an explosive start, least of all the captain of the side. “We are just enjoying our play right now,” said Hugh Murray, midfielder, “Tina has got us playing in a new formation that none of us had tried before, and we are gelling pretty well considering the amount of new faces at the club, playing and backroom staff both. We honestly didn’t know what to expect from her, but we had seen how she had gotten Livingston doing excellently. We have taken her to heart and we all love her immeasurably. She is just like one of the guys now.

To hear such praise from an established St Mirren player is refreshing, and the glowing comments stopped nowhere. “Tina brought me here from Gremio, and I didn’t know anyone or know what to expect in Scotland. She helped me sort English lessons out, which I didn’t expect or ask her to do. In return I have been playing to the best of my abilities in order to repay her.” Those were the words from number 9 Edixon Perea, who has managed four goals for his new club so far. Edixon’s previous stint in Europe didn’t end well, three largely disappointing seasons in Bordeaux resulting in a move back to South America. He is now coming along as a footballer, and has seemingly matured superbly from his France days.

When I first spoke to Tina, I got the feeling that she was just like any normal person. She hadn’t been tainted by the stardom, the allocation of the “First Lady of Football” title not even being used by herself even once. She never appears on television, not even to milk them for cash or exposure. She had kept herself to herself, not even attempting to comment on her break from Cassie Frost last month.

When I became manager of Livingston and St Mirren, people wanted me to, and are still expecting me to be this big resolute figure for the including of more women in football. While it would be great to see, I am simply just doing my job. I turn up, I get on with it, I get paid. I love the players I have here at St Mirren, and they will be what come first on all occasions. As I said, I would love to see more women trying their hand at what I’m doing, but I am not a beacon for women’s rights in men’s association football. I’ve got a job to do, and that is what I truly care about. We are playing some really good football here and I really think we can finish well this season. Gus laid the groundwork for the club, I will always acknowledge that, but this is now my team. We will do it my way, and I will do what I feel is right everytime.

Tina Powell turned out to be one of the most down to earth people I have ever met, especially with everything she has had to cope with in life. At first I wanted to hate her for sending my beloved PSV out of Europe without so much a whimper, but instead I find myself admiring her.

People like her don’t come along everyday.

Tina smiled to herself, almost like she had just been paid a compliment. In truth, she had been paid a massive one. "Admiring me, ey?"

Abbi just smiled, "Don't tell anyone you've seen it, or I'd get in trouble."

"Your career is in my hands," replied Tina, winking at her.

Tina and Abbi made their way to the bar that Tina had in mind, Abbi happy to take in her Scottish surroundings as they did so. Tina directed the taxi driver, who was foreign and seemed to have fairly limited knowledge of the surrounding area if it wasn’t on a main road. After a good twenty minutes, they arrived at Revolution, a bar specialising in vodka shots of a whole variety of different flavours.

This place has just opened,” said Tina as they got out. “So where else better to try out?

Abbi smiled, but she seemed concerned about what she was wearing. “I didn’t really pack for a night out at a bar,” she said, trying to gauge Tina’s response.

It doesn’t matter what you wear, just that you are here for the said drink.

Both smiled, and passed the bouncers on the door of the bar without any hassle. It’s not like they looked under eighteen, and if they did, it would have been the biggest compliment anyway. They took the two seats in the corner furthest away from prying eyes and the chance to engage in a quiet conversation and drink. “I’ll just go get us some drinks,” said Abbi, Tina smiling at the gesture. She watched her walk towards the bar, and couldn’t help but find her so damn attractive. The one problem now was wondering if she was interested in Tina, or was a guy kind of girl. She had agreed to the drink, so it seemed logical to Tina that she might be.

Abbi returned with two bottles of Becks lager, and two shots that were brown/black in colour. “Apparently these are chocolate liquor flavoured shots,” she said as she placed them down on the table.

As soon as Abbi sat back down, the pair downed the shots. They actually tasted surprisingly decent, Tina not a firm fan of vodka shots. “That was quite tasty,” she said, watching Abbi swig from her Becks.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a bar that offers such vodka shots before,” replied Abbi, seemingly in awe of the place.

I’ve been trying to figure you out since you first came in to interview me,” said Tina.

What do you mean?

Like whom you are and why you’re here, things like that. Anyone man or woman could have come to do this, but you did, straight after your holiday. I think there is more to it,” she said as she drew a large swig of the lager before carrying on. “I also see pale skin on your wedding ring finger, showing me that you have either been engaged or married. Am I right?

Abbi avoided answering the question outright, “You seem to think that you know a lot,” she replied, completely avoiding Tina’s looks now.

Come on,” frowned Tina, “You know almost everything about me. Go ahead and share a little about yourself.”

Abbi nodded, “Okay then. I was married, but we got married really young. I was only twenty one, and he was twenty three. It didn’t work like we had hoped or planned for, and we ended up splitting. That was four years ago now.”

Tina realised she may have hit a nerve, but if she hadn’t asked, it wouldn’t have allowed the conversation to move on. “So what about a partner at the moment?

Abbi shrugged, “There was someone,” she replied, “Nothing major though. And how have you coped since Cassie?

I pulled through. I won’t deny how much I miss her, I’d be lying if I did, but I managed to survive. So let me ask, are you single just here in Scotland, or single completely?

Abbi winked, “That is for you to work out.

Sunday 30th August 2009

Back to work it was for Tina after last night’s drinking session. Abbi had enjoyed the night in Tina’s eyes, and kissed her goodnight before leaving for her hotel. Tina wanted to ask her to stay over, but refrained from seeming either too desperate or in it just for getting laid.

There was also only two days left for clubs to fulfil any transfer duties they felt obliged to commit to, and it prompted offers from multiple clubs. Garry Brady seemed to realise the necessity of getting a move on with his proposed transfer to any one of clubs chasing him, and he eventually took one of them. He turned down Plymouth and Preston, among others, to move to Championship side Sheffield United. The fee was only £22,000, but it got him first team football and relieved the wage budget for Gilmour.

The finances came under scrutiny today aswell, which made the departure of Brady lighten the mood slightly. There will never be full happiness in a boardroom with regards to finance, unless you are the likes of Manchester City or Chelsea. “We currently have just over six hundred thousand in the balance,” said St Mirren General Manager Brian Caldwell, someone Tina had only actually met three times. “I’m happy in knowing that these figures will improve as the season progresses. We have no debts to pay, and no outstanding fees to pay. Tina still has just over ten thousand a week in budget spare aswell, so we are on top of everything here.

Tina smiled as she looked around the directors table. She had made a positive impact with her signings, players who are very good but also don’t ask for heaps of money in the process. Modesty is invaluable in the footballing world. The financial meeting took less than half an hour, something Tina was glad for. As she made her way back to her own office, she was greeted by Valter.

Two pieces of news,” he said as he followed her in and plonked himself on the nearest seat. “The first is the International call-up list. Scotland Under Nineteen’s have called up Kyle Faulds and Rhys Devlin while the Under Twenty One’s have taken Stephen McGinn. The other is Kenan Kodro, who has made it into the Bosnia Under Twenty One’s.

He did score on his Under Nineteen debut for us, so no surprise he got picked. I hope they all do well. And what would be your second piece of news?

The Sunday lunchtime game today has finished, and St Mirren sit nicely on top of the pile,” he said with a smile, handing Tina the newspaper.

Yesterday’s action had seen Aberdeen play Motherwell in the early kickoff, and Aberdeen took a while to get functioning. Motherwell offered little to the Dons, and Derek Young’s 70th minute header put the home side in front. A Lee Miller penalty conversion five minutes from time put to rest any hopes of a comeback for the boys in gold.

Falkirk made the trip to Tannadice Park to meet Dundee United, but looked shaky from the start. Forgotten man Danny Cadamarteri put Dundee in front with a fine solo effort but Dundee needed to wait sixty minutes more before Morgaro Gomis put the game beyond Falkirk’s reach.

Rangers had no trouble at Ibrox against Hamilton Academical, with the home side being two up within twenty six minutes. Pedro Mendes got the scoring started with a thunderous effort before Kris Boyd tapped in a Maurice Edu cross. There weren’t any more goals, but Rangers dominated the whole match with sixty percent possession by the final whistle.

Hibernian played hosts to the other side of Glasgow when Celtic came to visit, but neither side could find any rhythm to their game. The scoreline was 0-0 by full time, neither manager impressed with it. Celtic should maybe have won it at the end, but Samaras failed to slot home a simple chance, and the points were shared.

The final game of the weekend saw Hearts travel to Derek McInnes’ St Johnstone. Despite starting brightly Johnstone went a goal down thanks to David Obua’s freekick a minute before half time. Hearts came out firing, and Gary Glen earned a penalty, Kiki Musampa firing it home for his first goal in Scottish football. Calum Elliot finished the performance with a cool finish twenty from the end, and Hearts saw out with a clean sheet when Balogh turned Dave Mackay’s header onto the bar.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="green"]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | St. Mirren    |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 6     | 2     | +4    | 7     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 2nd   |       | Aberdeen      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 7     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | Dundee Utd    |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 7     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | Rangers       |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 6     | 
| 5th   |       | Hearts        |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 6     | 
| 6th   |       | Kilmarnock    |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 6     | 
| 7th   |       | Hibernian     |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 5     | +1    | 4     | 
| 8th   |       | Celtic        |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 4     | 
| 9th   |       | St. Johnstone |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 4     | 9     | -5    | 3     | 
| 10th  |       | Hamilton      |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 1     | 
| 11th  |       | Motherwell    |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | 6     | -4    | 0     | 
[color="red"]| 12th  |       | Falkirk       |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | 11    | -9    | 0     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

I’m a very happy girl,” she said to Valter, a huge grin on her face.

Sunday continued as usual in the transfer market, with little action of note for any SPL teams. Rangers did however eventually move to secure a new player, and they did so by recruiting Andres Scotti from Argentinos. Aged thirty three, he is hardly what the Rangers fans were hoping for. Hristo Stoichkov’s side are doing alright in the league for now though, and fans are unlikely to get on his back until results don’t go their way or Celtic take the top spot ahead of them. Scotti is a decent defender, and will likely compete at the back against other veterans Weir and McCulloch to play alongside Broadfoot, Papac and Bougherra..

The transfer talk and rumours continued long into the night, and Sheffield United tied up the arrival of another SPL player as they signed Lee Naylor from Celtic. Naylor, 29 and a Wolves favourite after his two hundred and ninety appearances for the Molineux side, moved to Steel City for just £275,000, a decent fee for a decent left back. Mowbray didn’t seem that happy at seeing Naylor go, but with Mark Wilson, Milan Misun and Danny Fox at the club, playing time at Celtic must have been seriously limited for him.

Tina rubbed her eyes, tiredness seeping in. It was never a great idea for anyone to go into work, with such a long day ahead, when they had just come off the back of a late night filled with alcohol. Valter came in with the SPL Team of the Week sheet, something Tina had yet to see.

It just came online,” he said, handing her the printout. Two names on the list were St Mirren players; Paul Wotton and Edixon Perea.

Only deserved that those two got on the list. Great performances by them both.

Valter nodded, “The under nineteen’s arrived back a half hour ago. They didn’t get on so well.

Scoreline?

They got beat five nil by their Celtic counterparts.

Speaks volumes for our youth side,” mumbled Tina as she felt her phone vibrate. “Tina Powell here.

I apologise for keeping you waiting so long into the night,” said a Welsh voice, a one Tina could instantly place to a face. “How are you Tina?

I can’t describe the happiness of hearing a Welsh voice, Chris,” she said in reply. “I do hope you are calling to tell me that Stephen O’Donnell has agreed personal terms with your club and that I don’t need to wait up anymore?

A laugh barrelled down the phone, “He has indeed agreed terms with us. We drew the contract up and spoke with him and his agent today. He agreed to it and providing you finalise the deal with yourself and Gilmour, it’s as much as done.

Tina sighed in relief, more than happy at having tied this deal up before tomorrow’s deadline day. O’Donnell seemingly enjoyed his trip to Coventry more so than Blackpool as he turned down Holloway’s side to move to Coleman’s. “I’ll get the approval from Gilmour before I leave. If you fax the contract this way, then we will get it signed and returned for you and the Football Association’s.

Thanks very much Tina,” said Coleman, “It has been a pleasure doing business with you.

You know me, Chris. Us Welshies have to stick together from time to time!

Another laugh barrelled down the phone, “Stay safe,” he said before hanging up.

Well that’s O’Donnell gone,” said Tina as she walked across to the fax machine. “Can I trust you to re-fax this back to Coleman after Gilmour has signed it?

Valter frowned in response, unimpressed with Tina’s idea of making him stay late. “I do hate you sometimes,” he said before getting out of his customary chair.

But you’ll do it anyway, right?

Valter ignored her comment as he took the paper and went to Gilmour’s office. Tina shouted down the corridor after him, “Thank you sweetie!” before picking up her coat and keys and heading off to go home at last.

Sunday’s are always fun in Paisley.

Added it onto the end of this post for you, Spiro. :thup:

Monday 31st August 2009

It was deadline day, and after such a time period for bringing players in, clubs now begin to panic and sign anyone they can afford or find to fill their ranks. The first transfer in the SPL was the departure of Stephen O’Donnell to join up with Coleman at Coventry. The deal was obviously agreed in principle late last night, but the actual move occurred in the morning. It seems that some of the finance monkeys do actually sleep.

I know I promised not to bring anymore players in,” mumbled Tina as she stood with Gilmour, “But I may have to break that promise.

Gilmour frowned, but then smiled instead, “Don’t worry about it, Tina. This is your squad and I’m sure you have more than enough wage budget for the acquisitions you want.

I just want to make sure I have everything right, you know?

I do,” nodded Gilmour in response, “I’ll get in my office. Just fax anything up whether it be outgoing or incoming.

Tina gave him thumbs up before watching him go out of site, and then subsequently dashing to her office. She picked up her phone and called Dave Jones at Cardiff City. “I’ve been given the go ahead,” she said, completely out of breath.

That is good news. Aaron will be delighted,” he said, rummaging for papers on his desk by Tina’s reckoning. “I’ll get this sorted for you, Tina, but I must dash. I expect today to be busy. I have a real task in keeping Whittingham.

Thanks Dave,” panted Tina before sliding into her chair. The young man in question was midfielder Aaron Wildig, touted as a real talent from the upcoming Cardiff City academy. Aaron Ramsey is only a year older than him, but whether he would be as good was a different matter. Wildig obviously was better. “I wish you luck in keeping hold of him, unless he fancies a move up to Paisley.

Dave laughed as he ended the call, prompting Tina to call up to Gilmour to let him know. The whole deal was done rather quickly and to Tina’s taste. She had a very talented young midfielder coming in on a season-long loan, and there was no fee or wage payments involved. Cardiff just seemed to be eager for him to ply his trade where he could possibly get game time. There was only one more iron in the St Mirren fire now, one that Tina was keeping close to her chest. It was around 11pm when one of them got back in touch with her. Tina’s phone rang, and the foreign number calling was one she dialled only an hour ago. “Tina Powell,” said Tina rather nervously, desperate to bring this last one in before the window closed.

This is Horst Koppel here,” said the deeply German accented voice. “I am calling about the offer you made regarding Malte Metzelder?

I did indeed make an offer for him to your finance department. I hope this is a good news call in reply?

A light German laugh responded in kind. Horst Koppel was 61 after all, and he did sound his age. Ingolstadt was his first job back in Germany after an ill fated stint managing United Arab Emirates side Al-Wahda. “It is good news, providing I can get you to trust my word on the fitness and health of Malte. There isn’t time to get him to Paisley for a medical, but I will fax you a report done by my own physio here if that would suffice? And if of course you want to beat the window shutting.

That will be fine, Horst. Is the fee still standing at twenty six thousand?

It is.

Then I will get my chairman to immediately fax you the contract for Metzelder, and we will send the appropriate documents where they need to be.

I would appreciate your side doing all the leg work, we’re quite snowed under here.

It won’t be a problem at all. We have nothing left to do now but seal this deal up.

Then I wish you all the best with Malte. He is a decent player, but don’t be alarmed by his height when he gets there.

Tina smiled as she thanked Horst and put the phone down. So she had secured her final signing of the window, twenty seven year old Malte Metzelder, younger brother of Christoph, for £26,000. He stands at 6’5 and plays in central defence just like his elder. He should really be a force in the box for St Mirren if he is used well enough at corners and set pieces, which Tina is planning to do almost immediately.

Unsurprisingly, the signing of Metzelder signalled the end of the Scottish Premier League window as quietly as it had begun. It had hardly been an exciting one for fans to get their teeth into, and as such, left St Mirren as having purchased the most players,

WINDOW ROUNDUP FOR ST MIRREN;

Ins; Alejandro Caiaffa (Free), Calum Burns (Free, Youth), Andreas Luckermans (Free, Youth), Kenan Kodro (Free, Youth), Kenneth Leemans (Free, Youth), Fabrice Fernandes (Free), Ciro Immobile (Season-Long Loan, Juventus), Carlos Castarnado (Free, Youth), Ricardo Vaz Te (£1.1million, Bolton Wanderers), Edixon Perea (£750,000, Gremio), Edgar Davids (Free), Febian Brandy (Season-Long Loan, Manchester United), Paul Wotton (£9,000, Southampton), Brahim Hemdani (Free), Vincent Degre (£170,000, Lazio), Antonio Calderon (£45,000, Jaen), Michael Parkhurst (£775,000, FC Nordsjaelland), Rodney Sneijder (Season-Long Loan, Ajax), Diego Contento (Season-Long Loan, FC Bayern), Aaron Wildig (Season-Long Loan, Cardiff City), Malte Metzelder (£22,000, Ingolstadt)

Outs; Paul Quinn (6 month loan, Ayr), Jon McShane (£375,000, Sunderland), Ally Love (Season-Long Loan, Ayr), Chris McQuade (£4,500, Mansfield Town), Sean Burns (£240,000, Sunderland), Jake Cunningham (Free, Torquay United), Michael Higdon (Season-Long Loan, St Johnstone), Dennis Wyness (£30,000, Leyton Orient), Steven Thomson (£40,000, Swansea City), Steven Robb (£120,000, Leeds United), Allan Johnston (Released), Antonio Calderon (£45,000, Lugo), Brahim Hemdani (Free, AS Monaco), Garry Brady (£22,000, Sheffield United), Stephen O’Donnell (£45,000, Coventry City)

St Mirren Squad;

GOALKEEPERS; Mark Howard, Vincent Degre, Paul Gallacher

CENTRAL DEFENDERS; Michael Parkhurst, Lee Mair, John Potter, Malte Metzelder, Paul Wotton

WING BACKS; David Barron, Mo Camara, Diego Contento, Jack Ross

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS; Edgar Davids, Hugh Murray, Rodney Sneijder, Aaron Wildig, Alejandro Caiaffa, Andy Dorman

WINGERS; Fabrice Fernandes, Keaghan Jacobs, Tom Brighton

FORWARDS; Edixon Perea, Ricardo Vaz Te

STRIKERS; Febian Brandy, Ciro Immobile, Billy Mehmet

Gav - just spend the last few days reading this story and my god I love it. I was gutted when cassie broke up with Tina, but hopefully abbi makes her happy again! Made some decent signings there. Let's hope they keep the performances going! St Mirren for champs league next year!!

No problem, Spiro. I hope it isn't getting too boring for you! :)

thanks so much bucket, it's so great to learn of new readers and your comment is great to see on here. stick by :)

Tuesday 1st September 2009

The sun beat down on Paisley, September being welcomed in stylishly by the weather. Tina stood watching as her players were put through Valter’s fitness test, but her eyes were trained more on the newly arrived Metzelder and Wildig. Both seemed fairly fit and ready for action, and it pleased Tina to see them settling in as quickly as they had. She was also extremely happy at how her team now looked, ready for the long haul, and the hope of no real need to recruit in January.

He’s a friggin’ giant,” mumbled Valter as he jogged up to Tina, drinking a sports drink at the same time.

Metzelder was massive, his 6”5 frame towering over the nearest rival, Vaz Te and Degre at 6”2. “Does he intimidate you?” joked Tina, watching as he rose above Wotton to head at Degre.

You bet he does.

Tina smiled, and was about to shout some instructions when a cameraman and a reporter made their way along the pitch line. They looked distinctly like SkySports, and she would be right as they introduced themselves.

Steve Fletcher,” said the reporter, offering his hand out. He had a plaque in his other hand, and the sight of it immediately set Tina’s heart beating. Was she about to receive her first SPL Manager of the Month award in her first month?

Tina Powell,” she replied, “What can I do for you?

I have an award that needs presenting, or rather I have two,” he murmured as he turned his back to check a bag that the cameraman had wrapped around his left shoulder. “Can you send over Edixon Perea please?

Tina smiled to herself as she turned to Valter, “Get Edixon for us,” she said. “Has he won Player of the Month?

Steve nodded, “Yeah, the league was very impressed with his performances this month. Two goals and three assists in three league games is an excellent return for a new player,” he said, before quietening down as Perea jogged across.

The cameraman turned on his equipment, and gave thumbs up to Steve as he began rolling. “We have Edixon Perea here, the winner of the SPL Player of the Month award,” he said, shaking Perea’s hand and then offering him the award.

We also have a second award making its first foray into Paisley this season,” he said, “She’s taken her team to the top of the SPL and had a valiant run in Europe, Tina Powell.

Tina grinned profusely, having not believed to have won the award after he asked for Perea. She stepped forward and into the camera’s sight, shaking Steve’s hand again. He handed her the award, Tina simply unable to control her grin. She had thoroughly deserved it though, everyone knew that.

As Steve told the camera stop rolling, he turned back to Tina. “It was almost a clean sweep, you know,” he said.

“What do you mean?

Paul Wotton’s goal against Dundee United came second in Goal of the Month, while Vincent Degre came second in Young Player of the Month.

Tina’s grin returned once more, “We have had an excellent month here to be honest.

Steve nodded, “You’re getting noticed plenty, Tina.

Just as I had hoped,” she said, turning back to her training.

Thanks tenthree :) there is usually always something to pull out from the game to write for.

Wednesday 2nd September 2009

Tuesday had seen a celebratory drink for Tina and Edixon, both still on a high from their award wins. Drinking hadn’t lasted all night though, as there was training today. When Tina arrived to work, she had read a newspaper article that discussed the disappointment of the Scottish transfer window. There was more praise for Edixon as he was named in the top two exciting signings by SPL teams, Celtic’s Felipe Baloy taking the accolade for the other.

The training session went really well as both Metzelder and Wildig looked decent in their new surroundings. A few of the Under 18’s made the step-up to the first team session in an attempt to show them what they could be doing on a regular basis. Darren Cowan and Kenny McLean were the two brought to do so, but one hit a problem. Cowan went down under a rather robust challenge from Potter, and the veteran seemed distraught by it.

I am ever so sorry,” he muttered to Cowan, the youngster on the ground in agony. Potter’s face was a picture of sorrow and fear, but he was blowing the situation quite out or proportion. He had landed rather heavily on his wrist, and John McCreadie’s initial impression was that he had sprained his wrist, but secondary analysis showed it to be a break. He’d be out for a month, but it wasn’t at all as career threatening as Potter had feared. Cowan would be fine and back in training within the month.

The day turned out to be a running theme on Potter, as Bury contacted Gilmour in the hope of striking up a loan-deal for him. Why on earth they thought Tina would be willing to let a first team player leave on loan immediately after the transfer window, she had no idea at all. The more annoying part of the whole situation was the newspaper rumours that were circulating.

Alan Knill had spoken to local media talking about he would love to make Potter a loan signing, but even went as far to admit that he hadn’t made the proper contact with St Mirren. “What the hell does ‘proper’ contact mean?” mumbled Tina as she read the report.

Valter shrugged, “Sounds like he’s already spoken to Potter’s agent about any interest from his party before making the effort of a proper move,” he replied, dropping a bag of footballs onto the field.

Get John down here,” asked Tina, a hint of trouble brewing on her face.

Valter moved off to get Potter, leaving Tina with the bag of footballs. Her training approach had been one of getting the basics perfected out, leaving the more complicated of things to chance until the basics were sorted. It had worked perfectly so far.

Potter jogged across, still looking rather worried about how Cowan was, and it was on the forefront of his mind. “Is this about Cowan?” he asked.

No, it isn’t. It’s about you and your agent.

Potter’s demeanour changed, instantly telling Tina that either something was afoot. “There is a lot of talk in the media about Bury interesting you, and that no ‘proper’ approach was made. I get the feeling that your agent, or you yourself, has been speaking to other clubs without the express permission of myself or Gilmour.

I certainly haven’t been doing anything of the sort Tina,” mumbled Potter, but his gaze moved away from Tina’s.

I know you’re either lying, or hiding something.

Fine, fine,” he said, resting against the signs on the side of the pitch. “It was my agent. He tried to negotiate a deal without even my knowledge. He went as far as to arrange a move to Notts County before the window, only needing the permission of St Mirren for me to move. I wasn’t so sure on the move myself, but he said I needed it.

Tina shrugged, “Sack your agent or you sit in the reserves until January, it's your choice,” was all she said in reply, walking off to resume training.

Yeah, it completely unsettled him and then caused some right trouble. Felt right to tell him off in the storyline and he didn't help by appreciating the interest. :D

Thursday 3rd September 2009

I really can’t be bothered with you right now, Jamie!” yelled Cassie, less than impressed with her boyfriend. She yanked open a kitchen cupboard, and found a plastic colander. “I saw you with her, and you are just denying it like I am stupid or blind!

Jamie emerged in the kitchen doorway, “Cassie, how many times do I need to tell you that all you saw was two people briefly apologising for bumping into each other?

Cassie was furious, and with the colander in hand, she hit Jamie on the head. “Don’t tell me what I saw!

Jamie recoiled, “Oh my god, did you just hit me with a colander?

Yes, I bloody well did. Now get the hell out while I think on what to do.

Jamie threw his hands up in defeat. He knew better than to stick around and risk more assault by colander. “Just calm the f*ck down, Cassie. I’m going for a beer.

Cassie ignored him as he left, and tears rolled down her cheeks as she heard the door close. “Pr*ck,” she yelled, slumping onto the floor, sitting with her knees up against her chest. She knew, almost for certain, that Jamie was cheating on her. But as is the dilemma with anyone who thinks their partner is cheating, you love them too much to accept it. And for Cassie it was made even worse with her own emotional form of cheating in that she still missed and loved Tina.

Cassie picked herself up, wiped away the tears and walked into the living room. She sat on the edge of the sofa, her head in her hands once more. She had no idea what to do or what to believe, worrying even more so that she had messed up by being so paranoid. A knock on the door brought her out of her worries. She wiped her eyes again, but made it looked even more obvious that she had been crying. She gave it up as a bad job and answered the door. Standing there was Valter, seemingly here for a reason. “Hi, Cassie,” he said, a smile on his face.

Hey there. What can I do for you?

Wondered if I could have a cup of coffee, and maybe a chat?

Cassie opened the door further and gestured for him to enter. “In you come,” she said, “Ignore the colander.

Valter was confused, but decided better than to ask. She seemed rather unhappy, and it was best to let her either open up herself or let it pass. “Two sugars, yes?” she called from the kitchen.

Yes please,” replied Valter as he walked across to Akira’s sleeping basket. The small Huskey was laying on her back, a toy ball in her mouth. She had front paws balancing it there, and she looked so adorable. She licked Valter’s hand as he stroked her before Cassie returned with the coffee.

Here you go,” she said, planting it on the table. “Why are you over here, Valter? I know there is a specific reason.

Valter looked her deep in the eyes, “She has never asked me to come, but Tina misses you, Cassie.

Has she said so?

Saying that sounds like you are hoping she has,” said Valter, a grin spread across his face. “Mind if I use your toilet?

Cassie shook her head, “Go right ahead,” she said, getting comfier on the sofa. She looked at Akira and waited before Valter was out of earshot. “Do you think Tina misses me?

Akira’s ears perked up at the sound of Tina’s name, and the little dog looked at a photo frame of the couple. Cassie frowned, “Behave.

Friday 4th September 2009

A day off was rare for Tina, and she was determined to make this one count. With the transfer window now shut and out of the way, and the international break seeing fixtures on hold until the 12th, there was little for those out of the line of duty to do but have a few days off and return to training on the 9th. St Johnstone would be the visitors in eight days, a St Johnstone side boasting former Livingston captain Dave Mackay.

The news of the day came from the English Premiership, where Chelsea had just been handed a one year transfer embargo for their dealings with Gael Kakuta, a young French winger. It wasn’t likely to cause them too many problems though, as they have a strong side already and were unlikely to add to that in January. It will however prevent them for purchases next summer too, but how that will affect their long term plans is hard to predict. “I’d love to manage in the Premiership someday,” mumbled Tina as she read the article. It was surely every manager’s dream in her eyes.

The biggest news for St Mirren came from Fir Park, Motherwell, as the Scotland U-19’s took on their Macedonian counterparts in an U19 friendly international game. Kyle Faulds and Rhys Devlin were the two St Mirren youngsters called up to duty by John Connolly, but only Faulds would make an appearance. Macedonia’s young ones took a tough start when they lost a defender to injury after two minutes; seven minutes later and they were a goal down thanks to Greig Spence. A further ten minutes and Mitchel Megginson had doubled the scoreline and put Scotland in the ascendancy. Former St Mirren lad Sean Burns grabbed a third just a minute into the second half, and there ended the scoring. Faulds came off the bench in the 65th minute to replace Fraser Fyvie, and he made several decent passing contributions in his half hour on the field.

The St Mirren U19’s were also in action on a quiet Friday night for Tina, hosting Motherwell. It was a dry but cold evening match, and Motherwell looked far stronger than Andy Millen’s St Mirren boys. Motherwell lost a man to a red card just before half time, and six minutes into the second half and Ross McKinnon had put them in front. It took into the fifth minute of injury time for Ryan Frances to pop in a screamer of a shot and seal a point for the young Buddies. Tina turned the TV on, desperate to find something good to watch and end her boredom, but her phone rang just as she did so. It was Abbi.

And what can I do for you Miss van Beuren?

A laugh responded from the other end, “You said you were free this weekend, right?

I certainly am, what with the international break putting a gap in the fixture list that I can fill with nothing but boredom.

I think you should come with me to Amsterdam for the weekend.”

Tina accidently coughed, “Amsterdam?

Yeah, just hop on a ferry or a flight tomorrow with me. I think it would be cool to hang out there, to be honest.

What could we do though?

There is plenty to do in Amsterdam, Tina; providing you look past the Red Light Districts!

Really? That was the first place on my agenda,” laughed Tina, “But seriously, what could we do?

You could come see where I work, in Eindhoven, and then we could travel back to Amsterdam, try and find some Dutch football somewhere.

There won’t be any matches on, Abbi, remember? But in response to your original question, I would love to. Want to meet me in Glasgow tomorrow morning, around ten?

Ten o’clock it is,” she replied, her tone seemingly lighter having been given the answer she wanted.

Saturday 5th September 2009

Eight A.M. on a Saturday morning was no way to spend a weekend off. Tina sighed as her car rolled into the St Mirren Park car park. The events of yesterday had made Tina’s month, Abbi asking her to Amsterdam almost preventing her from getting to sleep with excitement. There was a couple of things to sort out, hence why she now found herself in Paisley rather than Glasgow Airport. Tina had put the feelers out for a club to come forward with the hope of opening up Parent/Feeder links with St Mirren. In this day and age, it was the best way for youngsters to get game time and experience.

Frank Meade had got in touch with Gilmour last night about the possibility, and Tina had been more than happy to have the call sent to her. Meade was the chairman of Albion Rovers, and he had made the call for his manager Paul Martin. Albion Rovers currently sat in 5th place in the Scottish Third Division. Any SPL youngsters would be top acquisitions for Albion, and Martin knew that better than anyone else. He had pestered Meade into sorting it, the chairman finally getting around to it.

The deal between the two clubs was finalised by the time Tina was about to leave the stadium. “Under the terms of our deal, Paul, we will send players on loan to you. You will not be required to pay any wages to these lads, but it would generally be appreciated if you could give them some game time at least. Our chairmen have also agreed to host an annual friendly, with all gate receipts to be kept by you. We won’t be required to play a full strength side, but I can assure you I will do what I can when the time comes.

I am really excited,” said Paul, eager to learn of who was going to be heading to Cliftonhill. “And who will be making the journey to join us? I’m very eager to find out, as you may possibly tell.

Tina smiled to herself, “For now, you’ll just have to wait while I compile a list. I’ll get the information sent to you as soon as possible.

Thanks very much for getting this all arranged for us, Tina,” said Paul before he ended the call.

The clock now read 9:00am, and it was time to head back home. Tina needed to pick up a few things before she made her way to meet Abbi, the 10:00am meeting time now looking slightly unlikely. Abbi would understand; Tina knew she would without even asking her. Valter had left a report on her desk reporting that Edixon Perea had made game time back in Colombia, coming on as a substitute after 64 minutes. Colombia were already 3-1 ahead by that point, and while playing decent enough, little Edi made no impact to the scoreline. It was good that he was being played though, especially after his good performances for Tina’s side so far this season.

Tina picked up her keys and bag and made her way to her car. She almost made it out of the front door before Gilmour popped up. “Don’t want to keep you for long, Tina, but was just wondering if you had heard anything from our friend Rodwell since the last time?

Tina shook her head, “Not a peep. I think it is safe to say that he may have finally given up on his lusting after this club.

Gilmour smiled, “Here is to hoping,” he replied before opening the door, “Have a good few days, Tina.

You too, Stewart,” she said, eager to leave and finally get a move on to meet Abbi. As she reached her car, a voice called out to her. Tina closed her eyes and sighed, before turning round. The person standing there was the last she expected to see.

Cassie? What on earth are you doing here?

Cassie had obviously been crying, “Needed someone to chat to and couldn’t think of anyone else...

Tina stood rooted on the spot. Abbi would be waiting at Glasgow Airport for her, while Cassie stood in front of her.

She was now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Decisions, decisions...

What ARE you doing here?” yelled Tina, absolutely furious that Cassie would just show up out of the blue like she had. “You dump me, break my heart and then constantly waltz in and out of my life. What do I have to do to get rid of you?

Cassie avoided looking at Tina as the tirade came her way, and she totally understood why she was having a go at her. She had broken her heart, and she had messed her about as of late; she deserved everything that was being said. “I’m sorry, Tina,” was all she could muster up in response.

You’re sorry? Is that really all that comes to mind for you to say?

Cassie stood awkwardly, not knowing what to say. “I made a mistake, Tina. I made many mistakes with you, and this is me standing up and admitting it. I lost you because I made a wrong decision. You can’t tell me that you have never made a wrong decision in your life?

Tina’s face was a picture of anger, “Of course I have made a mistake in my life. I slept with Jake, who then sold the story to the f*cking newspapers. Do you know what the silver lining to that story is? I got to fall in love with you in the process. Would you like another bad decision I’ve made?

Cassie shook her head, but Tina was going to continue regardless. “I signed a footballer for my team who last less than a month and he was sold on. That was a wrong decision. One thing that I have made a poor decision on though is breaking the heart of someone I love.

I have said sorry so many times, and I know that you aren’t likely to believe them.

You’re bloody right, Cassie. The reason that you are stood here, next to my car, outside my job, is because your love life has fallen down around you. And now you’re looking for the easy way out. This in turn has sadly led you to me,” said Tina as she opened her car door. “I have somewhere to be at this precise moment. Someone is waiting for me in Glasgow, someone who is unlikely to cause the same heartbreak you did. And by the way,” murmured Tina as she closed the door, “I want to see Akira every once in awhile.

Cassie stood crying; with words seemingly on the tip of her tongue but simply not ready to present themselves. They would probably be her heartfelt feelings aswell, which made it even more a shame. Cassie knocked on the window as Tina started the engine, “I love you, regardless of what you believe.

Tina frowned, “So you persistently say, Cassie. I’ll see you around,” she replied before pulling out of the car park. As she drove on she looked into her rear view mirror, watching Cassie just stand there. Tina desperately wanted to tell her how she felt, but there just wasn’t a point now. Things had gone too far and in too many hurtful directions that it would only bring more pain.

As Tina's eyes returned to the road, her mind was elsehere. She failed to check both sides as she emerged at a junction and pulled out without paying attention. It was only when a blue VW Golf smashed into the passenger side that she actually realised, and by then it was far too late.

Thanks very much guys. Really appreciate your readership and comments. Scott; no Flatline this time :D

Tina sat in the hospital chair, wincing as the doctor stood in front of her stitched up a nasty cut above her left eye. “It’s a good job that the driver wasn’t going that fast and it wasn’t from the other side, Tina,” he said, swabbing the blood away, “Otherwise you’d be in more of a mess than you are now.

Tina managed a frown, but it hurt quite a bit and she instantly regretted doing it, “I know I’m lucky, Doc. Thank you for reminding me.

What made you pull out at the junction so erratically?

Tina shrugged, “I just simply wasn’t paying attention. I’ve already offered to fix the guys car out of my own pocket. No harm done this time,” she replied, wincing again as he put the final stitch in.

Without sounding mean, I had hoped not to see you in here again after the last time, Tina. Your body is still in a rather fragile state; don’t think I haven’t heard about your feinting a few weeks back.

Tina avoided looking into his eyes, “That was nothing.

The Doctor finished up and moved the trolley away, “Please look after yourself Tina,” was all he said, a smile his parting gift as he left. Another person stood in the doorway after him; Cassie.

What are you doing here?

Cassie stood motionless, “It’s my fault that you are here.

Don’t flatter yourself, please. I wasn’t paying attention to the road and this is what happened. A perfect lesson for new drivers.

Still think I don’t care about you?

In all truthful honesty? No, I don’t think you do.

Cassie smiled, “I didn’t think so.

Why do you ask?

Cassie walked in and picked up her handbag up. She went in and brought out Tina’s phone, handing it back to her. “I took the liberty of calling Abbi for you, to let her know that you were here and not skipping out of her,” she said before walking to the door, “Now tell me I don’t care about your happiness.

Tina said nothing, and watched as Cassie walked out into the corridor.

Cassie?

Cassie re-appeared at the frame of the door, “Yes?

You didn’t have to do that.

I did, otherwise I’d never have convinced you that I do still love you,” she quipped with a smile, before leaving the hospital.

Sunday 6th September 2009

Tina had taken the spare time she had ended up with for delivering the news of the departures of young Belgian pair Kenneth Leemans and Andreas Luckermans to Albion Rovers on loan. The pair were both new signings for St Mirren, but would definitely not feature for the Paisley club this year. Paul Martin wanted talent from St Mirren, and he was certainly going to get it in the form of this left winger and goalkeeper. There was one other, Kenan Kodro, who had been offered this chance, but he was travelling with the U21 Bosnia & Herzegovina squad and hadn’t been able to give a decision yet.

Well I hope these boys will do you justice, Paul,” said Tina as she sat on the phone to the Albion Rovers boss.

I really didn’t expect to get these guys and I’m really happy they’ve agreed to come and play for us this season. It’ll do us great to have talent like that once in awhile,” he replied in a rather excited tone of voice.

Well they should be joining you either tomorrow or Tuesday.

We don’t play until the twelfth like everyone else so that’ll be fine. It means I can give them a good training session before we play which will be good for us both.

Well, thanks for agreeing to take them on. I hope they do great for you if they can get into your team.

Paul laughed down the phone, “More like thank you, Tina. All the best,” he said before ending the call. There would no doubt be a press conference to announce the signings and also the connection between the two sides.

Tina felt very happy about the day’s events so far. To have youngsters going out on loan was extremely beneficial for both St Mirren and the players in general, especially for them to go somewhere they’d be played at least intermittently.

Today was to be a weird day of good and odd news for Tina though, and it began with a letter in the post. Brian, a temp secretary while Jackie is on holiday, brought the said letter in after it was delivered by courier. “This just arrived for you, Tina,” he said, placing it down on the desk with a customary smile, before leaving as quickly as he entered.

Tina picked it up and noticed that her name and address were both handwritten. A personal letter, she thought to herself. As she opened it, she wouldn’t be as happy, more confused.

Tina,

Hope you are okay after the crash, heard from Eric Harrison. Told me to give you this, so enjoy.

Regards,

Saunders

He actually has feelings, the sanctimonious bugger,” said Tina rather too aloud.

She looked back into the envelope and found two tickets for the upcoming Wales and Russia European Championship Qualifier on the 9th September. Tina couldn’t believe it, but knew perfectly well that this was more Harrison’s doing. None the less, it would be nice to go see her beloved Wales on Wednesday. She wasn’t doing anything better anyway.

Her phone then rang, making her jolt upright. Brian called through, “It’s from Germany, Tina.

Tina picked up the receiver, “Tina Powell here.

Hi, Tina. You probably don't know me, but my name is Alexander Muller. I’m currently in charge of German 2.Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin,” he said, his English rather good, but strangely tinted by what sounded like Welsh mannerisms to Tina.

What can I do for you?

I wondered if we could meet up sometime in the future, preferably as soon as possible, but whenever you and I are both spare.

Why would I want to meet up with someone I’ve never met?

We have met, but you were only a few months old when it happened.

How do you know me?

I used to work with your father.

Archived