Second Season Syndrome

Hey all my first post on here but am loving alot of the helpful threads on here.

Was just wondering if its just me or have others suffered from second season syndrome after having a somewhat successfull season prior. I am at Arsenal and won the Prem in my first season and have stuck with same training and tactics as first season but at a complete shock of performances. I did make a couple of tweaks to my first team during the Summer but nothing too major but i find myself in January and lying in 8th place someway off 4th let alone top. Should i panic buy now or should i wait until the end of the season in the hope my players will shake themselves out of it. Any help will be greatfully recieved guys.

I've had a similar experience. My Forest team did OK, and finished about 13th in the Championship in my first season. In the second, I looked to have made a decent progression and went into November just outside the play-off places. However, I didn't win for another 13 games, and I'm on the fringes of a relegation scrap in February now. I've changed my tactics a couple of times, usually variations of 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 which have worked briefly, but then it's often a couple of wins, a draw and then four defeats or something similar.

dont panic buy. its not worth it.

make sure morale is up. if it is low, try taking the pressure off them for a few games, praise them (use pleased or sympathise rather than disappointed), maybe offer new contracts to anyone you want to keep long term.

if you are just using the same tactics, alter them slightly, if you change them every game, stop, and settle on one. Also don't forget things like tight marking, closing down, and showing players onto their weaker foot that you can do during the game, it can all help you win. If you play a high defensive line, try telling them to go deeper. Try playing a short passing/slow tempo tactic, to control the game.

Basically stick with the players, they worked for you last year, and they will work for you this year, it is just a case of sticking with it.

Thx for response guys i have tweaked with the roles within the formation too see how that goes and am gonna sort a few contracts out to hopefully get some morale back up. Also does the fact the chairman is in discussions about a possible takeover affect the players at all? as that could be a reason i think

I would certainly think it doesn't help them at all, but I imagine if there was any affect on the players, they would have something listed in their concerns on their profile. Perhaps a "PR" icon next to their names. Try looking at a few players just in case, see what their concerns, and see if anything is listed.

I don't know for certain if it would have any affect on them, but just keep trying. You will eventually start winning matches again, hopefully before it's too late :p

Can I ask what players you have in your first team and/or squad at the moment? what formation do they play in?

I suffered the same with my real madrid team. If morale is low, you can also set up a friendly with your reserve team in the aim of winning big, I did and won 7-0 which made my players a bit happier.

was going to suggest that lol

Cant say i have experienced second season syndrome.

In my second season now with liverpool and were alot stronger defensivley and attacking. Storming the league in my second season. 30 played ,1 lost. Ive not really changed anything apart from bringing in a cb and fb.

If you have the cash and you can bring in some qaulity that will fit into your formation and maybe give some other players a kick up the back side ,then i would splash the cash. See where your struggling in your team. Struggling for goals? buy a qaulity striker etc etc.

If i find my team struggling around winter time ,i look at bringing in some qaulity in january if need be. It seems to have the desired effect.

Wow you changed almost the entire first XI for Arsenal there :p

I am playing as Arsenal too, and playing a similar-ish formation, and it seems to work pretty well for me in most games, although I am just about to start season 2, so I might be suffering second season syndrome very soon, although the first friendly I had I won 15-0 against Boreham Wood, which oddly is the biggest win I ever recorded on any CM or FM game :)

But like my first line said, seems you have made 7 first team signings there, I wonder how many were the start of the season? New signings can take a little time to settle down and start playing well, so you may find they get better as you go on once they have had a chance to come to terms with the PL. :)

Archived