• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dosthill Colts, Southern League First Division 2016/17 Season Summary

League: 2nd - promoted via playoffs

FA Cup: Lost to Debenham in the 1st Preliminary Qual Round 1-0

FA Trophy: Lost in the 1st Round 2-1 to Merthyr

Southern League Cup: Lost in Quarter final 2-1 to Farnborough

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Nuneaton Griff on penalties after 0-0 draw in 1st round

League Table, League Graph

Squad

A very poor start to the season with only 1 win in the 1st 5 league game + losing in the FA Cup at the 1st hurdle. But things only got better from there with long unbeaten runs in the league combined with a long FA Trophy and Southern League Cup runs. But we fell short of automatic promotion and had to settle for the playoffs

Playoff Semi Final: Dosthill 2-1 Pegasus Juniors

We had to come from behind to win this one, Phil Benson getting both goals for us, in the end we were deserved winners

Playoff Final: Windsor & Eton 0-1 Dosthill

A very close match separated by a single goal by Adam Penney in 1st half injury time but it was enough to get us promoted.

Player/s of the Season

David Watson - Top scorer for the season with 19 goals in 49 appearances, still not great to be honest

Jamie Wood - Consistently good for proof just look at his history

Russ Stone - It seems like everyone has a good debut season here. Russ Stone played well generally but I am sure he is capable of better

Finances: Huge profits made, surely the board will allow better youth training facilities now

Season              League                        Position        Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Midland Combinations Premier       2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2010/11         Midland Football Alliance          14th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup
2011/12         Midland Football Alliance          12th        N/A
2012/13         Midland Football Alliance          1st         Promotion
2013/14         Southern First Division            10th        N/A
2014/15         Southern First Division            8th         N/A
2015/16         Southern First Division            11th        N/A
2016/17         Southern First Division            2nd         Promoted via Playoffs

Hahaha love it, your season ticket sales do seem a bit low even for level 10, mine were in the high 30's/low 40's

Just lucky I guess ha.

I was really getting into the save, shame the dragon age expansion comes out tomorrow, doubt I will have much time to play until I beat that...

Taken over as the nearest geographical side to where I grew up, which is Letcombe.

The club secretary is my old maths teacher!

Off to a good start: Manager of the month for August and top after 5 games, with a W4 D1 record. There are 4 16 year olds in the Starting XI and the left winger has real promise (I hope!)

I'll update again after Christmas then do a proper end of season summary.

Thanks everyone!

Carlisle City Season Report 09/10

So here we go, still struggling to get to grips with FM10 so I wasnt expecting much, and not alot is what I got. We were predicted fourth but I felt that widely optimistic considering my struggles with FM10 and the fact that I didnt actually think much of my squad. An incosistant start saw us 12th after 8 games and it looked mid table was on the cards, but an amazing surge in form saw us fly to the dizzy heights of fourth after 17 games and 5 points off the initial runaway leaders Cramlington I thought we had a tiny chance of promotion, but when we lost at their place the dream was over. We finished the season once more inconsistantly but with the odd bit of promise thrown in aswell - we finished 8th, with 46 points from our 32 games. Not bad, but a full 14 points behind the champions, and with no playoff positions of note it could be a long hard slog for promotion.

Onto the players and it was a struggle, I couldent decide on who to plump for in goal, but eventually used Liam Carter who did well in his 10 appearances. Defensively we did quite well, Ross Wright at rightback was our outstanding man whilst captain Bill Smith was missed hugely when not fit our suspended. Another centre back would be a blessing however. Midfield was a decent area aswell, Martin Oliver did very well and his versatlitiy will come in handy, whilst defensive midfielder Chris Keene from the u18's was a real find - his high work rate, determination and teamwork led to him being one of the tacklers in he division. Up front was where we struggled the most - James Lamb was our top scorer with 10; he has good physical ability but also has 1's for EVERYTHING technically. Alongside him was a real nightmare with nobody consistantly doing well. Carl Hawksworth was my favoured choice - decent all round ability and by far my best dead ball deliverer I dont understand why he has such a poor average rating, he always seems to be playing well when he gets on the ball in game. A striker is much needed in the youth intake.

Predicted Finish: 4th

Actual Finish: 8th - League Table

Power Tools Cup: Quarter Final - Lost to Harraby Catholic

23rd of June Balance: £6,717

End of Season Stats

Top Scorer: James Lamb (10)

Top Assists': Ross Wright (6)

Highest Av. Rating: Ross Wright (31 Apps, 7.15 Av.Rating)

Most MOTM: Ross Wright (7)

Yellow Cards: Bill Smith (8) - and one red.

Code:

Season League Tier Position Achievements

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2009/10 Northern Alliance 11 8th None

Seems Ive been shifted into the English Wearside League - strange as nearly all the teams I was with last season have been aswell. However, worringly so, so were Cramlington, champions of the Northern Alliance last time around - is the level 11 structure working ok?

Carlisle City First Quarter Report 10/11

Apologies, I normally write up a pre-season section, but clean forgot this time around, so my youth intake write up will be in here instead. Only real pre season news was the release of no less than 17 players after an average first season.

Firstly though, and what a start for us this time around, 11 games in 8 wins, 26 points and a gap of 7 points over second placed Newcastle Uni already, weve had a fine start. Rob Phillips in midfield has been outstanding, whilst Lamb has already plundered 7 goals. Probably our more important player has come from the youth intake though; have a deek through all ELEVEN of our first ever intake to find out who.

The Intake

Michael White - Average, decent work rate and running ability may see him being used as a late 'runner' in the midfield, but wont be bursting into the first team just yet.

James Smith - Looks a good all round centre half, like his marking of 10 a lot. Will certainly get a chance, but hasnt broke straight into the first team as of yet.

Dean Scott - Another decent centre back who has been on the fringes so far this season, making one encouraging substitute appearance so far. Good all round physically and useful elsewhere he could be one to watch.

Matt Moore - Picked out by my assistant as the one to watch, and he looks good, although that jumping stat of just 1 is hard to get by. If he was a left back he would be a first teamer, but unfortunately for him current right back Ross Wright was player of the season last campaign and is undroppable.

Carl Coulson - THIS is the man who has transformed our fortunes - a good partner for Lamb, hes quick, decent in the air and his finishing and composure arent bad either. Has scored 5 very good goals so far and looks a star.

Jordan McKellar - not much going for the scottish frontman, would be a grafting and hassling type of centre forward, but dosent look like getting much of a chance im afraid.

Jamie Massey - Looks a useful keeper and will definatly get a chance soon, considering I still dont know who my first choice is.

Craig Hunter - Versatile and looks a good all round player. Useful physically and determination of 17 means he will certainly make appearances this season.

Stuart Henry - Looks a pretty average player in all honesty, im not blessed on the right wing though so could get a chance.

Kevin Canning - A useful striker who Ill keep an eye on, but wont break into the first team squad just yet.

Jamie Atkinson - Another decent centre half and he is the one currently partnering captain Smith. Done a sturdy job so far but unspectacular.

Phew, that took a while, but a good batch, delighted with Coulson of course and some useful defensive options too. Watch out lads, Carlisle City are on the way! :D

Christmas Update 2009/10

A better start than expected with a highly inexperienced Letcombe side. Most weeks see six 16 year olds take to the field, hopefully the experience will do them good.

After 18 games in Hellenic Division 1 (West), I'm 5th, 6 points off the playoffs. Highlights include 2 manager of the month awards and a nice cup run building. Into the Quarter Finals of the Hellenic Challenge Cup.

Here's hoping for a good run in! Proper end of season update tonight I hope.

FM09 - Merthyr 2031/32 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2009/10 - BSS, 2nd - Promotion through playoffs!

2010/11 - BSP, 18th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2011/12 - BSP, 6th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2013/14 - BSP, 14th - FA Trophy winners!

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2015/16 - League Two, 20th

2016/17 - League Two, 13th, JPT S Quarter Final

2017/18 - League Two, 9th

2018/19 - League Two, 1st, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Two Champions!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation :(

2021/22 - League Two, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, JPT Winners!, Automatic Promotion!

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final :(

2023/24 - League One, 2nd, FA Cup 4th Round, Automatic Promotion!

2024/25 - Championship, 22nd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Relegation :(

2025/26 - League One, 4th, Carling Cup 4th Round, Promotion through Playoffs!

2026/27 - Championship, 21st

2027/28 – Championship, 20th, FA Cup Sixth Round

2028/29 - Championship, 19th, Carling Cup 3rd Round

2029/30 - Championship, 13th, FA Cup Fourth Round

2030/31 - Championship, 16th

2031/32 - Championship, 5th, Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

After a fairly unremarkable season last season, I was expecting much the same this season, as was my board (they were looking for consolidation), however, despite no new players really breaking into the starting XI, the extra year of experience in some of my youngsters really paid off, and with one game to go in the season my side was 7th, with only goal difference seperating them from 6th and a playoff spot - however my last game was against 2nd placed Barnsley. I needed to get at least a point from them and have other results go my way.

The final match of the regular season for Merthyr was a very tight one, but a single goal in the 65th minute for Mertyhr saw them walk away with 3 points. Furthermore, both 5th and 6th placed teams lost their matches, resulting in Merthyr securing 5th place in the Championship, a record high finish for them.

2032 League Table and Graph

The 5th placed finish saw me line up against 4th placed Leicester, with the first leg at home. Despite conceading an early penalty after 14 minutes, Merthyr quickly equalised after 16 minutes. Unfortunatly, after 36 minutes midfielder Culshaw got a straight red card, which should have spelt disaster, but instead spured the team on, and Merthyr went on to score 2 more goals and take a 3-1 lead despite playing a man down for much of the match (Leicester also got a man sent off after 74 minutes.

Playoff Semi-Final First Leg 3-1 v Leicester

I was confident going into the away leg, more so after I scored an early goal against play to put me 4-1 up on aggregate after 15 minutes. A Leicester penalty on 27 minutes saw my buffer reduced to 2 goals, then in the 56th minute a long range goal saw my buffer reduced to one goal... finally, another penalty on 75 minutes saw the scores 4-4 on aggregate, and extra time needed.

With Leicester dominating the game now, the didn't waste time in extra time, and scored in the 94th minute, so I threw everyone forward, and scored an equaliser on the 105th minute, 5-5 now! However I forgot to bring my players back, and Merthyr again conceaded in the 109th minute, resulting in a 5-6 aggregate loss to Leicester, who eventually went on to win the playoff final. So close to the unthinkable, reaching the EPL, yet so far... can I make a similar push for promotion next season?

Playoff Semi-Final Second Leg 2-5(et) v Leicester (5-6 aggregate)

Despite such a fantastic season, there were no real standout players, but the fans player of the season, for the 2nd season running, was 24 year old midfielder Danny Carroll, who managed 4 goals and 16 assists from 51 games at 7.17.

Due to the great performance of the team none of the new youth products managed a senior apperance, so my youngster of the season would have to go to 2nd season defender / midfielder Kevin Townsend, who followed up his 41 apperances at 6.75 last season with 32 apperances at 6.71 this season - not a fatastic return, but his versatility proved very handy during the season.

2032 Seasonal Best XI and 2032 Overall Best XI

Due to an increase in attendances, and increased prize money for coming 5th, Merthyr managed to make a small profit of $100k for the season, seeing the bank balance remaining at $29.5M

2032 Finances

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 5th in Championship

Highest Gate Receipts: $600,000 v Everton FA Cup 3rd Round 3.1.2032

Average Attendance: 9,215

Most League Apperances: Chris Thompson - 757

Other News

Ex player Mark Quinn keeps on impressing, after making a move to Man U for $61M last season, he was now nominated for world player of the season this season, and ended the season with 24 goals from 41 games at 7.51 - not bad at all from a Merthyr youth product

After spending last season in League One, Liverpool finally managed to put it all together and take out League One to rejoin the Championship, it will be interesting to see how they go next season!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2031/32 Update

(Record - Rob Simpson: 856 apps in 21 seasons / Chris Thompson: 856 apperances in 17 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 33: 856 apps in 17 seasons

For the first time in many seasons Chris Thompson actually suffered an injury - thankfully it was only a strained wrist which saw him out for 11 days and only miss 2 matches. He still managed 49 games this season, to bring his total to 586 apperances, equalling Rob Simpsons record, but in 4 less seasons (he also set a new club record of 757 league apperances, breaking Rob Simpsons' record 730 league apperances)

With his career average games per season at 50.35, and sees him still on target to reach 1,000 apperances by his 36th birthday (assuming he is still playing, which he should be). Whilst he is still the first choice keeper, his stats are starting to decline (especially physical stats), and the young keepers are now starting to challange for his spot in the starting XI (although given how close he is to achieving the impossible, I've decided I'll keep on playing him no matter how bad his stats get!)

Letcombe FC End of Season Update: 2009/10

An electric start from the Bassett Road youngsters which saw them drop away a little towards the end of the season. Certainly some fresh faces in there who are all set to take on the Hellenic Division 1 West next season.

Hellenic Division One West: 7th with a record of 12-10-8

Hellenic Challenge Cup: Semi Finals

FA Vase: 1st Round Proper

23rd June Balance: (£15,000)

Top Scorer: William Howell (11)

Manager Awards: Manager of the Month Twice

Player Awards: William Howell - Golden Boot

I have gone on a massive slump starting in November, we did not score for 6 games...Lucky for us we only lost a couple.

My star ML is coming along very well, when hes not injured, getting tons of clubs who seem to think I should give away my best player for free.

Phoenix 10/11

Table

Graph

Season Review: Very strange season, at times we played amazing, even finishing the season on a 12 game unbeaten run, at other times we went without scoring for over a month...

In the end we hit our stride just as everyone else fell apart and got lucky with our schedule to some how wind up winning the league.

Consistency was a massive problem, and with no real way to fix it not sure what will happen next season.

Cups:

FA Vase

Cup Report: Nothing really interesting here, lost an away game during our mid season slump.

Transfers

Squad

Finances

Players:

Futcher - ML: My star youth last season lived up to the hype, miss a couple games but he was a star when on the field and was player of the season for the league.

Morales - MR: Really strong season again, feeling good with the pairing of Futcher and Morales for sure.

Nolan - ST: Lead goal scorer, should of had more but missed some games.

Rainford - ST: My other striker who was fairly solid, kinda want a good youth to come up and take this spot though.

Season        Division            Position                 Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10       MFC D1               1st                        Promoted
2010/11       MCC                  1st                        Promoted 

Next Season: Fingers crossed for some more talent...

Wow, outstanding work there Cerneo :thup:

Fulcher certainly looks a star, how far do you think he can go?

My second season update at Carlisle City is coming - dosent look like promotion again, despite a great start, we blew it and a 3 month injury to our star striker James Lamb didnt help..

Wow, outstanding work there Cerneo :thup:

Fulcher certainly looks a star, how far do you think he can go?

My second season update at Carlisle City is coming - dosent look like promotion again, despite a great start, we blew it and a 3 month injury to our star striker James Lamb didnt help..

Well its hard to tell since my assman is so horrible, and the coach even worse, hes had 5 stars in everything since he appeared.

He was not a one man show or anything, but I did notice when he was out hurt, his pace alone is crazy at this level.

A couple of me new regens look good, one very promising DL, one ok CB and a decent back up striker all showed up, the rest were garbage.

The CB and DL should get time right away.

Media/Board think I should challenge for promotion but not sure if thats really possible if we play like we did during that slump, as you could see from the graph is was a very rocky season, we just got a lucky run of games at the end really.

Good stuff, that does sound ambitious, but its hard to tell exactly how much difference in quality there are on the tiers this low down.

Also any chance of a screen shot of that promising left back?

Just to say to all people really - as this is such a difficult challenge, its obvious only a core of us are likely to be giving it a serious go.. due to that it would be nice for people try to post mini updates or post more updates than they would if they were doing dafuges challenge for example - just keeps the thread ticking along nicely, and Id also say screenshots of new youth intakes are really good to see - they are the main focus of this challenge after all.

KUTGW everybody. :thup:

Yeah I will try and update more, I edited in screens of all the decent players.

Anyone know what level your U18/Reserves start playing games? Kinda bad to just have them all rotting.

Also if anyone wants kits(3d ones also)/badges I would be happy to make them for you, sometimes its hard to find them however and for kits I prefer the fantasy route, but I can try to recreate them also.

Carlisle City Season Report 10/11

So after a mediocre mid-table first season, but a good youth intake, we were looking to improve - and instantly that is exactly what we did, 15 games into the season and we had been top of the table for its entirety. Promotion looked a certainty, but then I did the cardinal FM sin of saving and quitting. When I came back we were a different side, and a much worse one. Striker Lamb who had 9 goals in his first 14 games was ruled out by a 3 month injury and that plus a combination of a tough run of fixtures saw us plummet to the depths of 7th. We steadily improved again and ended the season with a flourish, unbeaten in 9 and rising the league, eventually finishing a very respectable 4th.

Onto the players and now the real key worry was the goalkeeping position. FOUR keepers were tried in all, and none stood out, although fourth choice Johnny Rowntree did well in the last 2 games of the season. Defensively we were OK, again right back Ross Wright our player of the season, the midfield was very similar, except the central pairing of Phillips and Buckley improved immensely, especially Phillips - 12 assists with a few goals were very handy. Upfront was a real point of promise for us, Lamb had a great season despite injury, and top scorer Carl Coulson had a dream debut season, knocking in 14 league goals making him the 3rd top scorer in the division.

Hopefully next season if we get a goalkeeper we can once again challenge for promotion and a chance at the heady heights of level 10! :D

Predicted Finish: 9th

Actual Finish: 4th - League Table

Shipowners Cup: 1st Round - Lost to Harraby Catholic

23rd of June Balance: £12,601 - + £5,504 - surprised me!

End of Season Stats

Top Scorer: Carl Coulson (14)

Top Assists': Robert Phillips (11)

Highest Av. Rating: Ross Wright (35 Apps, 7.04 Av.Rating)

Most MOTM: Carl Coulson (5)

Yellow Cards: Bill Smith (11)

Code:

Season League Tier Position Achievements

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2009/10 Northern Alliance 11 8th None

2010/11 Wearside Football League 11 4th None

Solid season, fingers crossed for a GK for sure, I never have to worry because my CBs were so bad it was pure luck I did not give up a goal anyway, anytime my GK had to do anything it was to late or it hit the post ha.

Hello all. My Coulsdon United save corrupted so I have decided to start this again at level 11 and with the Wife's hometown club.

Meet the new manager of Watchet Town in deepest Somerset.

The squad looks interesting and I have been predicted 17th.

According to my (absolutely rubbish) Assistant this gentleman is my best player: Lewington; while young Lee Morgan is my best youth prospect.

Gonna have a career thread as well for this stupidly difficult challenge but will keep the updates here as well. And if fact here it is

Off for lunch now but come this evening I'm back. Wish me luck...

Mid season update: Sitting in 1st after the first game in the new year. Really not sure how when we have had quite a few draws, but we had a nice little run in December and are clear by 6 points.

Cups are another story, outside of the FA Vase we were knocked out in the first game...

Going to try and finish this season by the end of the weekend, would be amazed if I could go 3 for 3 on promotions.

Hey all, thought I'd post an update on my game in this thread seeing as I'm playing this challenge and not yet posted about it. :p

To start with, I decided to become the new manager of Milton & Fulston Utd, who ply their trade in the Kent County League Premier Division. My main reason behind this side was that they are a new club (only founded in 2008), but also have an 8000 capacity stadium - so up to League standard already (should I be fortunate enough to get that far up the pyramid system).

I'm currently at the end of the 3rd season - here's a brief description of each season to date:

2009/10

The season started well, going the first 9 games unbeaten, and even at the halfway point, I had an 8 point lead over the rest of the table. However the 2nd half of the season was a disaster, with it being a struggle to score, let alone win games. Eventually I was caught and overhauled as I finished 3rd in my first season - 3 points off top spot - consigning me to another season in Level 10. The cups were all a washout, with no real progress of note in any of the competitions.

2009/10 League table

2010/11

This season followed pretty much the same pattern as the first season (the only difference being that I was now concentrating more on the mentality side of the game, believing that if I took care of this, then the results would follow). Again, the team walked over all and sundry in the first half of the campaign. With 10 games to go, I was top, with an 8 point cushion. But yet again, my team seemed to self-destruct on the run-in, managing only 2 wins, which left me finishing 5th - 6 points off the top auto promotion spot (and 4 points off the play-off spot). - and contemplating a 3rd season in Level 10 and wondering if I'd ever get out of this league. The cups were again pointless, with no real progress of note in any of the competitions.

2010/11 League Table

2011/12

The 3rd season began in exactly the same fashion as the previous 2, with all comers being beaten with ease in the early art of the season - the first 9 games were all victories, but I was still wary as we'd started like this every season. My fears were the realised as we then only took 1 win in the next 9, We were still leading the league, but only on GD, with my defense keeping me in there in many of those games. However in this season, we then rallied for the final 10 games, winning a number of games 1-0, which ended with me finally getting the promotion I'd craved fro 3 seasons, mainly thanks to defense, who only conceded 8 goals in the league. One cup competition also came within the grasp of the team this season, with us losing the final of the Kent Senior trophy on penalties.

2011/12 League Table

Season          League                        	  Position      Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Kent County League Premier        3rd      	N/A
2010/11		Kent County League Premier	  5th		N/A
2011/12		Kent County League Premier	  1st		Promoted

Phoenix 11/12

Table

Graph

Season Review: What a change from last season, we could do no wrong this time and racked up a lot of wins. The youth guys that came through seem decent, not sure how they will compare at the next level, floor has to fall out from under us soon anyway.

Cups:

FA Vase

FA Cup

Midlands Alliance Cup

Cup Report: Nothing other than the decent run in the Vase, everything else was one and done.

Transfers

Squad

Finances

Players:

Futcher - ML: Another good season, really picked it up late in the year after having a couple injuries to start the season.

Morales - MR: Player of the season by far, was really strong on the right and got alot of assist.

Nolan - ST: About the same as last season, nothing special.

Rainford - ST: Had some injuries and was also forced to play in the midfield when we got short handed due to fatigue/injuries. But improved on his goal tally from last year can't ask for more.

Bailey - DL: Best prospect going into the season and he was a really good anchor on the left, a couple more like him in the back 4 would be nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12       MFA                  1st                        Promoted

Next Season: Need a good striker and midfielder.

I've been playing this challenge but not posting, just wonder if anyone else has been linked with ridiculous jobs? I'm up to 14/15 season, 1 promotion and at the top of NW Counties Permier league, and have just been linked with the Portsmouth job! :D

Thought it was daft being linked with league 2 sides but Portsmouth in the Championship...

I've been playing this challenge but not posting, just wonder if anyone else has been linked with ridiculous jobs? I'm up to 14/15 season, 1 promotion and at the top of NW Counties Permier league, and have just been linked with the Portsmouth job! :D

Thought it was daft being linked with league 2 sides but Portsmouth in the Championship...

I have played 9 seasons now and have been linked with a few league 2 jobs eg Brentford or Bradford but no one in league 1 or higher.

Congratz Cerneo on 3 succesive titles, very impressive keep it up

FM09 - Merthyr 2032/33 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation :(

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final

2024/25 - Championship, 22nd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Relegation :(

2032/33 - Championship, 6th, Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

After a breakthrough season last season where I made the promotion playoffs, I was hoping to achieve the same this season, but knew it was going to be tough!

However, coming into the last third of the season, Merthyr were again hovering in the playoff spot, and with 1 game to go, Merthyr were sitting 5th, however 6th place Preston were 1 point behind, with 6th place Crystal Palace 2 points behind. As it did last season, it came down to the last game of the season to see if I would make the playoffs. A win would guarentee 5th, a draw would see me 5th or 6th, a loss and I would need to rely on other results to go my way. With injuries piling up (6 first teamers), this was going to be close!

Unfortunatly, the game didn't go my way - after an early Merthyr red card, Merthyr slumped to a 0-6 defeat, the equal biggest defeat in Merthyr's history. Thankfully, both Preston and Crystal Palace drew their games, meaning Merthyr snuck into 6th place, one lower than last season, but again qualifiying for the playoffs to the Premier League!

2033 League Table and Graph

The playoff semi-final home leg saw me matched up against 3rd place Bolton, and despite yet another early injury, bit player David Powell, playing his first game in the past 3 years (21st game in 10 years) scored in the 30th minute to put Merthyr in front against the flow of play. Bolton equalised late in 1st half injury time, and that was how the game stayed, 1-1.

Playoff Semi-Final Home Leg 1-1 v Bolton

Heading into the away leg of the semi-final, I had 9 senior players out injured (4 Defenders, 4 Midfielders, and main striker), which forced me to play players out of possition, as well as giving a 17 year old midfielder his league debut - not an ideal situation, but I was left with no other option

That said, the game started fantastically, with Merthyr midfielder Paul Culshaw scoring in the 3rd minute. Bolton equalised in the 16th minute, but then Merthyr again hit the lead in the 24th minute through a penalty - again, a quick equaliser by Bolton in the 27th minute, 4 early goals to start the game. However, then disaster struck, as Merthyr winger John Lynch was sent off with a straigt red on 29th minute. This was followed by another quick goal by Bolton in the 31st minute, and after a much quieter 2nd half this is how the score stayed, 2-3, or 3-4 on aggregate. Another season, another heartbreaking playoff loss - so close, yet so far!

Playoff Semi-Final Away Leg 2-3 v Bolton

Again, another great season with good contributions from many members of the side (6 players averaging 7 or over), however the Fans Player of the Year is 25 year old striker Craig Murphy, who was Merthyr top scorer with 17 goals (3 goals shy of Championship top scorer) and 6 assists at 7.07.

With the team doing so well, my youth players didn't get much of a look in, but if I had to pick on youth player of the year I guess it would be 17 year old midfielder Simon Newman. He only played 15 minutes this season (he was the only U18 player to get a look in), but that was in the Playoff Semi-Final 2nd leg, due to a horror run of injuries. My coaches think he is a decent League Two players, so he probably wasn't ready for the callup just yet, but hopefully he has plenty of room for improvement.

2033 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finances wise, the bank stayed at around $29M, where it has been the last few seasons... not that I can spend any of that money of course! Even with average attendances now 9,342 (out of a capaicty of 10,000), the board refuse to expand the stadium, and the youth and training facilities are already world class.

2033 Finances

New Club Records

Highest Gate Receipts: $625,000 v West Ham FA Cup 3rd Round 1.1.2033

Average Attendance: 9,342

Most League Apps for Club: Chris Thompson - 805

Other News

Ex Merthyr youth product Mark Quinn continues to impress with Manchester United, taking out Manchester United's Fans player of the year for the 2nd season, EPL Team of the Year, EPL 3rd highest scorer, Engligh Player's Player of the Year, World Player of the Year runner up, European Footballer of the Year, European Striker of the Year, as well as winning the FA Cup and League Cup - not a bad player I'd say!

After 2 hearbreaking playoff semi-final losses in row, I know I am very close to achieving the unthinkable, promotion to the EPL, but I don't know how to get that little bit extra out of the squad. I'm hoping that next season, being my 25th season in charge of the club, I can find that little bit extra and make the step up into the Premier League! Here's hoping!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2032/33 Update

(Record - Chris Thompson: 909 apperances in 18 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 34: 909 apps in 18 seasons

Another injury free season saw Thompson clock up another 53 apperances, bringing his career total over the 900 mark to 909. Whilst he isn't the player he used to be, he still is the best goalkeeper Merthyr has (although is now facing serious competition), and actually got called up to the Welsh squad this season (but has not yet been capped).

With his career average games per season at 50.35, he is now only 2 injury free seasons away from reaching the 1,000 mark. With fellow Championship side Reading's main goalkeeper 38 years of age and going strong, I think only a retirement inducing long term injury can stop him from reaching the 1,000 mark now!

Phoenix 12/13

Table

Graph

Season Review: Really fun season, as you can see from the table my main issue was all the draws. Most of them were scoreless games, I just don't have the center mids to move the ball around, really need a new player there.

So as I pushed deeper into the season I slowly arrived at a path that would take me to the play offs as long as we did not lose points, couple wins later and we were in the mix, came down to the few games but we locked in with two games to go.

Play Offs Round 1:

I decided to go with a fairly defensive/narrow tactic for the first leg since it had worked well for us most of the season. Tomlinson my go to sub got us started in the 37th min, I then went to a more controlling tactic and that worked like a charm...until this.

So onto extra time we go. Carey got the ball deep in the box and fired off a shot that was barley blocked, but he took the rebound and pounded it in to make it 2-1 early in extra time.

Carey then got the ball on a quick counter and finished them off with a very nice strike (Sadly he was injured on the play and missed the final) to make it 3-1. Onto the Final we go!

Play Off Final:

Leamington had been our equal all season, two games with two draws. The weather was very poor so I used a more direct defensive tactic to see if we could get a lucky goal or two. The first half was snore fest it was all very sloppy and no real attacks formed.

The second half was looking to go the same way until Nolan picked up one of the craziest goals of the season, enjoy in 6 parts. 1 2 3 4 5 6

They moved immediately to an attacking formation/tactic so I switched to a direct/counter expecting to get a goal like I do most of the time I make the switch. Well a goal did come but it went through the wrong post. Time for some more Extra Time.

Scott Scott (Still love the name) started us off very well with this, I thought it was in.

Things then all went wrong due to a deflected cross that ending up at Adam Fry's feet, he sadly did not waste the chance.

I went all out attack after that and we had some good chances but it was all for not and the season was over.

Cups:

FA Trophy

FA Cup

Southern League Cup

Joe McGorrian Cup

Cup Report: Got things started off winning a cup I did not know existed, and that was about it no real cup runs.

Transfers

Squad

Finances

Players:

Futcher - ML: Decent season, however he was definitely over shined by Morales.

Morales - MR: Amazing season, Tied for second most goals and assist, and every time we really needed a goal it seemed like it was him putting it in.

Nolan - ST: Leader for scoring again although due to injuries alot of the youths got a shot and I doubt Nolan/Rainford keep a lock on starting next season.

Carey - ST: Will be starting next season for sure, really started to go on a roll at the end of the season.

Bailey - DL: True anchor for defense, one game he cleared it off the line three times. Best part is assman does not think hes done growing yet.

Hooper - GK: Replaced Williams as the started this season, mostly because I was lazy and did not feel like switching them every time I wanted the assman to set the back 4.

2011/12       MFA                  1st                        Promoted
2012/13       SLFDM                4th                   Lost Playoff Final                     

Next Season: Phew that was a long update....fingers crossed for a CM.

Youth Intake:

Martin

Rhodes

Lancaster

White

Rest of them

Overall not to bad, Martin looks like I might be able to play him on the wing and move Morales to the center, I might even do it out of the gate just to get him some games.

Assman is a big fan of Lancaster but I am not seeing it, I might retrain him to CM also just to see how it goes. White has some decent pace and thats half the battle at this level, but with so many other strikers I doubt he amounts to much. Rhodes looks half decent also, been forced to play a CB at RB for a awhile now so maybe he can claim that spot one day.

-----

Going to try and schedule as many friendlies as possible to see if I can sneak in a grounds improvement.

--------------

Ugh.

Letcombe FC End of Season Update: 2010/11

Glory Glory Letcombe Regis. An incredible run of form from November onwards gave Letcombe a historic promotion. A superb FA Cup run almost culminated in a surprise entry to the draw for the 1st Round Proper until BSS side Weymouth stole a late victory at Basset Road.

Hellenic Division One West: 1st with a record of 17-8-5

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying Round - lost 1-0 to Weymouth

FA Vase: 1st Round Proper

Hellenic Challenge Cup: 1st Round Proper - Out on pens

23rd June Balance: £16,000

Top Scorer: Jonathan Daley (9)

Manager Awards: Manager of the Season, Manager of the Month Four times

Player Awards: Ben O'Connel - Hellenic Division One West Player of the Season

Season        Division        Position           Achievement
2009/10       Hel D1 W        7th                Hellenic Challenge Cup Semi Finalists
2010/11       Hel D1 W        1st                Promoted to Hellenic Premier Division

My original AFC Liverpool game died a death due to laptop problems, so I decided to start again.

Manager Profile

Starting Squad

I've just completed my first season and it was a success. We started very well, but began to struggle in October/November/December with so many games coming at once. Our dodgy form continued into the new year and cost us the title, but a late revival got us into 2nd place and the playoffs. We faced Dartmouth from the South West Peninsula League there, and after going a goal down, a hattrick from star striker Luke Powell and a goal from his partner up front John Kennedy meant that we cruised to a 4-1 victory.

Table

Playoff Final

In the cups we did well, which meant quite a lot of fixtures in not much time. In the FA Cup we got to the First Round (really the Third Qualifying Round) before losing to Newport. Bootle knocked us out of both the FA Vase and the North West Counties Challenge Cup, which was revenge for our victory over them in the Liverpool Senior Cup. We reached the quarter finals of that competition, losing to Burscough. The only disappointment was losing in the North West Counties Division One Cup.

Financially we have done well, the cup runs plus some pre-season friendlies gave us a comfortable profit and a very healthy bank balance.

Finances

The star players have been strikers Luke Powell, formerly of Everton and John Kennedy, who came through the ranks at Blackburn. Both were at the club before I took over, and I'm hoping to hang on to them until I can turn semi-pro. I'm amazed nobody has come in for them yet.

Squad Stats

Kennedy

Powell

The most promising youngster at the club is young winger Michael Jones, who broke into the side over the second half of the season, though several of the other youngsters also look useful.

Jones

I think I'll be turning semi-pro at the end of the season, so I can get my players on to proper contracts now. I lost two first-teamers to other clubs over the course of the season, so it'll be a relief to get to the end of the season without losing anyone else.

So to summarise:

AFC Liverpool Season One

NWC League D1 - 2nd (promoted through playoffs)

Liverpool Senior Cup - Quarter Finals

FA Cup - First Round

FA Vase - Second Round

NWC Challenge Cup - Third Round

NWC D1 Trophy - Second Round

Top Scorer: Luke Powell (32)

Highest Average Rating: Luke Powell (7.28)

Well after completely contradicting myself by telling people to update more, Ive yet again forgot to update pre-season, first quarter or show you my batch of youngsters, and im now 20 games into the season. Will get my season done (Im now 3rd) and then will promise to update as per!

Also, seems to have been a bit of a rise in interest recently and some good early success, well done everybody it looks like we are really getting rolling now! :thup::D

My original AFC Liverpool game died a death due to laptop problems, so I decided to start again.

Top Scorer: Luke Powell (32)

Highest Average Rating: Luke Powell (7.28)

Good to see another AFC Liverpool Manager (I'm doing the extended dafuge challenge with them). You should be set for strikers with Powell and Kennedy most of the way to the BSP. Kennedy is probably in his last season with us but Powell is still lethal even at BSP level. :)

Coyne was also excellent in defence up to Level 7.

Good to see another AFC Liverpool Manager (I'm doing the extended dafuge challenge with them). You should be set for strikers with Powell and Kennedy most of the way to the BSP. Kennedy is probably in his last season with us but Powell is still lethal even at BSP level. :)

Coyne was also excellent in defence up to Level 7.

Coyne has impressed me, so has Darren Torpey in defence. I've managed to get those two plus Powell and Kennedy on full time deals now. I was gutted to lose Willis though, it means I don't have a good keeper in the squad now. Hopefully one will come through the ranks next season.

Unlucky Cerneo, 4 promotions in a row would have been quite an achievement! Still, a great result.

Board takeover could be interesting, when that happened to my Merthyr side the new board decided to make the youth and training facilities world class (they were both almost there by that stage), which made a massive difference, as well as injecting a few million! Let's hope you get something similar

Unlucky Cerneo, 4 promotions in a row would have been quite an achievement! Still, a great result.

Board takeover could be interesting, when that happened to my Merthyr side the new board decided to make the youth and training facilities world class (they were both almost there by that stage), which made a massive difference, as well as injecting a few million! Let's hope you get something similar

Its been dragging on well into the season and not a single update about it...I did get transfer blocked...not that it matters.

FM09 - Merthyr 2033/34 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final :(

2024/25 - Championship, 22nd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Relegation

2032/33 - Championship, 6th, Carling Cup 4th Round Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

2033/34 - Championship, 15th

After making the playoffs in the last 2 seasons, I was expecting something similar (or better) in this, my 25th season in charge of Marthyr, but for some reason this season just didn't click. I was hovering in the top half of the season for most of it, but the team really struggled towards the end of the season, which saw me finish 15th, and for possibly the first time in my career, failing to meet my board's expectations of a top half finish (they were a little disapointed, but changed their expectations for next season to mid table, so all good).

2034 League Table and Graph

In a disapointing season, winger Danny Carroll still managed to shine, and for the 4th time in the past 5 seasons he took out the fans Player of the Seasons, and had the highest average rating (7.10).

The most promosing young player (again the only U18 to break into the senior team) was 17 year old John Anderson, who in his first season managed 4 apperances. In his first season at the club, he already as many attributes in double figures (including most of his physical attributes) - the only downside is that as a right back, he will struggle for a game, we already have a couple of quality right backs.

2034 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

We again lost $2M - $3M, leaving our finances around $26M - still comfortable, but with our average attendance at around 90% of stadium capaicty (10,000), and salary around $50k per week under wage budget, I have no idea why I am still losing money!

2034 Finances

New Club Records

Most League Apperances for Club: Chris Thompson - 850

I'm not sure why this season was so much worse than the previous two seasons - possibly because my core group of players is getting older, with the youngsters still a way off Championship football (and also me not giving them as many chances in the senior team may be hindering their growth?), but we'll see what we can do next season, which if all goes to plan with Chris Thompson, should be a very important season!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2033/34 Update

(Record - Chris Thompson: 957 apperances in 19 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 35: 957 apps in 19 seasons

In his 19th season Chris Thompson actually had a minor injury (bruised rib) late in the season, but after taking pain killing injections to get through some games, he ended up missing 2 games, meaning he managed 48 games for the season, bringing his career total to 957, only 43 games away from the milestone (not that in his 19 season career he has never managed less than 43 games in a season).

Whilst the up and coming goalkeepers could now argue they deserve to be 1st choice keeper, I'm not about to put him on the bench now after 19 loyal years of service (mind you there were some patches where he refused to sign a contract, but he always came around), so hopefully next season will be the one he crashes through the 1,000 mark!

Archived