The FM 'Give Youth A Chance' Challenge

Dosthill Colts, Midland Football Alliance 2010/11 Season Summary

League: 14th

FA Cup: Lost to Coalville 2-0 in the 1st Qualifying Round

FA Vase: Lost in 1st round 1-0 to Hamble

Midland Alliance Cup: Lost in Semi finals on penalties after drawing 2-2 on aggregate with Daventry

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Won!!! Beat Wednesfield in the final on penalties after 0-0 draw AET.

League Table, League Graph

Squad

A reasonably succesful season, we slightly underperformed in the league but we made up for it in the cups.

Player/s of the Season

Owen Slater - Despite getting an average rating of only 6.88 he was one of our best players scoring 18 in 50 from midfield which, in this league, is very impressive.

Josh Norton - A solid season from the everpresent defender, also managing to get on the scoresheet 4 times. Considering my 3 strikers got 6,8 and 9 goals i think he was very potent.

Finances:Getting better, need them to improve to so the board can improve the youth facilities.

Season              League                        Position        Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Midland Combinations Premier       2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2010/11         Midland Football Alliance          14th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FM10 Stony Stratford End of Season

2009/10 SSMLge1 Champions automatic promotion

2010/11 SSMPremLge Champions automatic promotion F.A. Vase Winners South Midlands Floodlight Cup Winners Spartan South Midlands Challenge Trophy Winners

2011/12 English Northern Premier League First Division North Champions automatic promotion

English Northern League Presidents Cup Winners

2012/13 English Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions automatic promotion

English Northern League Challenge Cup Winners

End of Season 5 finished 4th promotion through play-offs Won F.A.Trophy. F.A.Cup 5th round

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/BSN.jpg

Hard season too many draws. Better quality opposition. Hope I can avoid relegation from BSP.

Top Goalscorer James Lampkin(29)

2 bought up from youth side.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/Basford.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/Plant.jpg

FM10 - Rise up

Decided I needed a challenge and found this. Already had the patch so all good there and I wanted to manage a local team.

Swaffham hire Stothard!

So this is where I start! Hope for an end of season report soon!

P.S - How do you lot go through seasons so quickly?

Oh and an extra question. Can you fire staff or is that against the rules? It isn't stated, just you can only hire one if you don't have any, and technically that would be true.

FM10 - Rise up

Oh and an extra question. Can you fire staff or is that against the rules? It isn't stated, just you can only hire one if you don't have any, and technically that would be true.

If you mean can you sack staff then hire new ones then I would say that goes against the spirit of the challenge.

Dosthill Colts, Midland Football Alliance 2010/11 Season Summary

League: 12th

FA Cup: Lost to Staines 3-2 in the 2nd Qualifying Round

FA Vase: Lost in 3rd Round 1-19 to Bournemouth FC (Poppies)

Midland Alliance Cup: Lost in Quarter final to Heath Hayes 1-0

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Lye p1-1 in the 1st round

Squad

A slight improvement on last season but not quite the top half finish I promised the board.

Player/s of the Season

Glenn Stamp - Came in from the youth system and impressed on his debut season

Matthew Hughes - Solid right back, Just check his history, he's been solid for 3 seasons now

John Kenworthy - You can tell when he was in goal scoring form from the league graph. (At the start and at the end.)

Finances: Slowly getting better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Midland Combinations Premier       2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2010/11         Midland Football Alliance          14th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup
2011/12         Midland Football Alliance          12th        N/A

Whilst it is quite surprising to see someone achieve 4 straight promotions normally, let alone in arguably the hardest challenge ever set in FM, there is no actual evidence he as cheated, so until there is I don't think acusations should be thrown around - am I being too naieve?

One could also accuse my Merthyr team which has been in the Championship for the past few seasons of cheating (note that as this is FM09 they started in the BSS), but I guarentee that I have complied with all of the rules.

Also, have now completed a couple of seasons, so will put the updates up in the coming days!

No evidence of transfers, finances, his squad. I can see how he could rise through the divisions so fast, up to the BSN anyway, but to be promoted first time from there is ludicrous, especially if those youngsters are indicative of the quality of his side. Fifth round of the FA Cup? Rubbish.

I've decided to give this challenge a go with AFC Liverpool - admittedly, the easiest side I could do this challenge with considering that they actually have some good players in their starting squad, but it's a difficult enough challenge already.

Manager Profile

Starting Squad

Unfortunately, being an amateur side, I've already lost one of my players to a semi-pro team. My main problem is going to be hanging on to the starting players until I become semi-pro - my two strikers are far too good for this division, and are both only 18.

FM09 - Merthyr 2028/29 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2009/10 - BSS, 2nd - Promotion through playoffs!

2010/11 - BSP, 18th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2011/12 - BSP, 6th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2013/14 - BSP, 14th - FA Trophy winners!

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2015/16 - League Two, 20th

2016/17 - League Two, 13th, JPT S Quarter Final

2017/18 - League Two, 9th

2018/19 - League Two, 1st, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Two Champions!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation

2021/22 - League Two, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, JPT Winners!, Automatic Promotion!

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final

2023/24 - League One, 2nd, FA Cup 4th Round, Automatic Promotion!

2024/25 - Championship, 22nd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Relegation

2025/26 - League One, 4th, Carling Cup 4th Round, Promotion through Playoffs!

2026/27 - Championship, 21st

2027/28 – Championship, 20th, FA Cup Sixth Round

2028/29 - Champtionship, 19th, Carling Cup 3rd Round

As mentioned in my mid season updated, after 9.5 stunning seasons star striker Mark Quinn moved to Biringham for a record $45M! At that stage the club was sitting pretty in 17th place in the Championship, not exactly dominating, but safe enough from relegation. After losing Quinn things got a little worse, but not too much worse, and Merthyr finished 19th, 10 points from relegation, and 1 place higher than last season. Given it's an improvement on last season I can't complain too much, but it will be interesting to see how we go next season when we play a full season without our star striker.

2029 League Table and Graph

Interestingly, bankrupt Liverpool finished 21st, just 2 points from saftey! I would love to see them do a Leeds and drop down again next season!

With Quinn leaving halfway through the season, the Fans Player of the Year title was passed to captain and midfielder Jordan Crawford, who had a solid season with an average rating of 7.05 - the first time 6 seasons someone other than Quinn won the award. Such was Quinn's dominance however that he still took out club top goalscorer (18) despite only playing 6 months.

Merthyr Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Due to the record transfer fee received for Quinn, the club finances are looking better than ever, with the balance hitting $23M, and the good news is that there is still another $20M or so to be received in the next 12 months relating to the Quinn transfer fee!

2029 Merthyr Finances

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 19th in Championship

Highest Attendance: 9,999 v Blackpool Championship 4.11.2028

Average Attendance: 7,231

Most Games without Scoring: 5 - 3.3.2029 to 31.3.2029

Most League Apps for Club: Rob Simpson - 730

Oldest Player: Rob Simpson - 35 years 361 days v Blackpool (H) Championship 4.11.2028

Highest Transfer Fee Received: $45,000,000 (AUD) - Mark Quinn to Birmingham

Total Transfer Income: 11,750,000 (AUD)

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2028/29 Update

(Record - Rob Simpson: 856 apps in 20 seasons)

Rob Simpson, DC, 36: 856 apps in 20 season

After years of steady decline in his attributes, at 36 his stats have finally gotten to the point where he no longer warrented a place in the senior squad, however due to a mini injury crisis, still actually managed 3 league apperances, bringing his career total upto 856. Has announced his retirement at the end of next season (and developed a staff profile as a scout), so is unlikely to add any more to his career tally, but has set a impressive club record, all be it 144 games short of the magical 1,000 mark I was aiming for

Chris Thompson, GK, 30: 708 apps in 14 seasons

Another 50 games this season brings his tally over the 700 mark, and remarkably still on track for the magical 1,000 mark, with his average game / season just a touch over 50 - 6 more injury free seasons is all he need, and there doesn't look to be any real competition for the starting GK spot... can he do it?

Sorry to accuse you so rudely, it is plausible that you're just very good.

Out of interest, how comes you're finances are so good? For a team at your level, which I am with my Welling side, we seem to ship money every month.

Surely low wages and no transfer fees will help a bit :D

FM10 Stony Stratford End of Season

2009/10 SSMLge1 Champions automatic promotion

2010/11 SSMPremLge Champions automatic promotion F.A. Vase Winners South Midlands Floodlight Cup Winners Spartan South Midlands Challenge Trophy Winners

2011/12 English Northern Premier League First Division North Champions automatic promotion

English Northern League Presidents Cup Winners

2012/13 English Northern Premier League Premier Division Champions automatic promotion

English Northern League Challenge Cup Winners

2013/14 Blue Square North 4th Promotion through play-offs F.A. Trophy Winners

End of Season 6 finished 9th F.A. Trophy semi-final F.A. Cup 4th Round

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/BSPlgend.jpg

Fixtures.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/fix1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/fix1-1.jpg

Top goalscorer again Jordan Lampkin (25) He is scoring even at this level even though my assit manager says he isn't good enough

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/jordanlampkin.jpg

Three players brought in

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/alexbarry.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/chrisallaway.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/andyhopkins.jpg

I have stuck with this tactic. Going to defensive 4 4 2 80th minute when winning or drawing away.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/ironbluey/tactics.jpg

I always find that my problem with FM is that I get super frustrated when playing coz I feel I should be winning games/titles and stuff which is why even Dafuge's challenge as much as I enjoy it (and will keep going) annoys me sometimes and makes me not play, but finally now I have a challenge. A challenge where failure is accepted, nay expected and demanded. Awesome.

To that end I've decided to start with Coulsdon United as it's close to where I live and I'm sick of Coulsdon having to be in Croydon's shadow.

So here are the screenies.

Manager Profile

Coulsdon Squad

Coulsdon's Best Youther

Coulsdon's Best Player

I think it's fair to say that there isn't that much difference between my best youth prospect and my best player. It's on though. Coulsdon are about to become huge...

Well in a pre-season where I didn't win my best result was against a team who I was 50/1 to beat. I got a 0-0 draw. So far played four games W1,D1,L2 but just beat Dartmouth in the Fa Vase.

Lost to bloody Croydon Municipal though. Dominated the match and then gave away a pen. Bah!

FM09 - Merthyr 2029/30 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2028/29 - Championship, 19th, Carling Cup 3rd Round

2029/30 - Championship, 13th, FA Cup Fourth Round

After slow but stead improvements in the Championship the past 3 years, I was a little concerned about tackling my first full season in 11 years without start striker Mark Quinn, however as it turns out I had no reason to worry, as although no one player managed to fill the void, most of the team managed to improve substantially (including several 1st and 2nd year players), and, despite a bit of a struggle early on in the season, I managed to finish a very respectable 13th, ecplipsing the previous best finish of 19th in the Championship!

2030 League Table and Graph

The best Merthyr player, as he was last season, was central midfielder and captain Jordan Crawford - 48 domestic games at 7.1 as well as 5 international apperances this season. Unfortunatly, like Quinn, he has also realised he is too good for the Championship and refused to sign a new contract, and his contract has now expired. His is still with the club, but I don't think he'll be adding to his 300 odd Merthyr games next season.

On a positive note, I've had several good youth prospects this season, the best being 17 year old midfielder Terry Eaton. In his first season he's already managed 32 games at an amazing average rating of 7.03, as well as 6U21 caps - what a great first season, he should be a perfect replacement for Crawford next season.

2030 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

2030 Squad - Interesting to see how you my 1st choice squad is now... whilst promotion is still some way away (and realisticly probably never going to happen), it is encouraging to see so many youngster getting up to Championship standard so quickly, if only I could hold on to all of them!

Finances wise, another good season, posting a $12M profit for a closing bank balance of $36M, but this was due to $22M in delayed transfer fees from Quinn's sale last season, otherwise it would have been a $10M loss!

2030 Finances

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 13th in Championship

Average Attendance: 7,610

Worst Discipline: Colin Kendall - 11 yellow cards / 2 red cards

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2029/30 Update

(Record - Rob Simpson: 856 apps in 21 seasons)

Rob Simpson, DC, 37: 856 apps in 21 season

As suspected, Simpson didn't manage to add any games to his 856 in his 21 season, and after retiring has decided to become a (rather poor) scout, the first one for the club. Still, for someone of questionable ability, achiveing 856 games is quite an achievement, and a club record... for now.

Chris Thompson, GK, 31: 759 apps in 15 seasons

51 games this season sees his average games / season stay over 50 - now only 5 more injury free years to reach the magic mark (although I did have some promising GK's come through the youth sytem in the last couple of seasons), can he do it? His career is largley the reason I continue with this save, as I have almost given up on promotion to the EPL (though this season's 13th place was very promising!)

Im back, and much more expectant - Ive finally got into FM10 and think im getting to grips with the tactics, although im still not sure if what my current thinking is will work down THIS low. Still after sucess with Palace; Im normally woeful at starting in the championship so that was unexpected sucess.

For those who dont know me, Im a bit of a veteran at this challenge and have got to the Championship three times, twice with Gateshead and with Staines on FM09.

Still cant expect sucess but Ill be trying my damm hardest.

Hope this can continue to be a success and well done to everybody who is playing or has tried so far - this is by far the hardest challenge that we have EVER seen on these forums, probably more so now we go down to level 10 (Im dreading to think of how hard the conference season will be!)

Also Marky Mark, excellent work mate, KUTGW :thup:

Stick with it MarkyMark, you're the benchmark for success! :D

Has your squad harmony been very good in this challenge, seeing as so many of your players have played together for so long?

Squad harmony is "our current players would be willing to die for each other", and has been for as long as I can remember - squad morale also currently "couldn't be any higher"

However, in the Board Confidence - Squad Harmony screen, the confidence is only 35% and the board is concerned that some players at the club are unhappy and these issues must be addressed (due to me refusing to transfer players who want to leave, and a couple of players disliking each other) - which is a bit contradictory.

Also, thanks guys for the kind words of encouragement, another update will be coming up shortly!

FM09 - Merthyr 2030/31 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2028/29 - Championship, 19th, Carling Cup 3rd Round

2029/30 - Championship, 13th, FA Cup Fourth Round

2030/31 - Championship, 16th

After a record 13th place last season I was looking to again improve my league posittion as I have the past 4 seasons, but it wasn't to be, as after a fairly inconsistant season Merthyr finished 16th, still comfortably safe from relegation, but 3 places worse than last season - losing captain Jordan Crawford to Portsmouth at the start of the season didn't help my cause.

2031 League Table and Graph

With past captain Crawford gone, 23 year old winger Danny Carroll picked up the Fans Player of the Season award in a consistant season where he averaged 7.04.

My best young player of the season award would have to go to 17 year old central defender / midfielder Kevin Townsend. In an otherwise unremarkable batch of youngsters he really stood out and managed an impressive 41 games in his first season (at 6.75) - hopefully one for the future.

Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finances wise, despite being $100k / week under wage budget, I still managed to lose $7M, however due to the sale of Quinn 2 years ago I still have a healthy $30M in the bank, although if I keep losing money like that each season it will soon become a problem.

2031 Finances

Other News

Back in League One, Liverpool recovered from their debts to finish 5th in their first season in League One - they won the playoff semi-final 5-0 (agg), but lost the final 0-1, meaning they will have at least one more season in League One - it's like they are the new Leeds.

After being sold from Merthy to Birmingham for $45M, Mark Quinn has now moved on to Man Utd for a record $61M, where he finished the season with 17 goals at 7.25 plus 9 international goals from 8 caps - if only I could have held on to him for another season or two, who knows what could have happened!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2030/31 Update

(Record - Rob Simpson: 856 apps in 21 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 32: 807 apps in 16 seasons

Another injury free season, but due to Merthyr crashing out of the cups, only managed 48 games this season, but at 32 he is still comfortably the 1st choice keeper, and still on track for the 1,000 mark, just 4 more injury free seasons to go... I'm getting excited now!

Dosthill Colts, Midland Football Alliance 2012/13 Season Summary

League: 1st

FA Cup: Lost to Staines on pens in 2nd Preliminary Qual Round

FA Vase: Lost in 2nd Qual Round 1-0 to Atherton LR

Midland Alliance Cup: Lost in Quarter final to Boldmere 3-2

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Castle Vale JKS 1-0 in the 1st Round

Squad

A much better season than I predicted, we got better and better throughout. We were hepled by our early cup exits. Next season will be tough though.

Player/s of the Season

John Kenworthy - Our top scorer with 24 goals in 50 appearances. Next scorer had jus 7, shows how important he is to the team. Also got Midland Alliance Premier Top Goalscorer award

Glenn Stamp, Tom McCoy, Jamie Wood, Matthew Hughes - My 1st choice defence. They conceded the least in the league (24 in 42) and just 33 in 50 at a rate of 0.7/game in all competitions.

Finances: Final position in the league gave us 10k, a real boost. Also had the highest average attendance in the league. But without prize money we are still lossing money per month.

2012/13         Midland Football Alliance          1st          Promotion

Dosthill Colts, Southern League First Division 2013/14 Season Summary

League: 10th

FA Cup: Lost to Hyde in the 1st Qual Round 1-0

FA Trophy: Lost in the 3rd Qual Round to Rugby 2-0

Southern League Cup: Lost in 1st round to Bromsgrove 4-1

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Castlevale JKS in the semi final on pens

Squad

We had a very strong start to the season but it just fell apart towards the business part of the season. However a mid table place is an awesome finish for our 1st season in the Southern Div 1.

Player/s of the Season

John Kenworthy - Our top scorer again, he keeps getting better and better for us. He scored more than twice as many as my next top scorer

Glenn Stamp - His best season so far, he finished with an average rating of 7.17

Jamie Wood - A good follow up season to his amazing debut season.

Finances: Slowly getting better, we gained about 1.7k a month

2012/13         Midland Football Alliance          1st         Promotion
2013/14         Southern First Division            10th        N/A

Dosthill Colts, Southern League First Division 2014/15 Season Summary

League: 8th

FA Cup: Lost to Gainsborough in the 1st Qual Round 2-0

FA Trophy: Lost in the 2nd Qual Round to Harrogate Railway 1-0

Southern League Cup: Lost in 1st round to Almondsbury 2-1

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Pilkington XXX 1-0 in 2nd Round

Squad

Just missing out on the playoffs again this year. Same thing happened, we bottled it towards the end. We are getting closer and if we can keep John Kenworthy fit next season we will have a good chance of the playoffs.

Player/s of the Season

Jamie Wood, Glenn Stamp - Again these 2 were the stand out performers. With average ratings of 7.13 and 7.06 respectively.

Scott Parkes - Couldn't fill John Kenworthy's boots but did a decent job, our top scorer this season with just 11 goals :o

Finances: Just about breaking even this season, wage bill has got to a point where we are losing money each month. Since the cup competitions weren't great this season we didn't get as much profit as I would have expected

2014/15         Southern First Division            8th         N/A

Dosthill Colts, Southern League First Division 2015/16 Season Summary

League: 11th

FA Cup: Lost to Ossett Town in the 1st Qual Round replay 2-0 aet

FA Trophy: Lost in the 3rd Qual Round to Totton 2-1

Southern League Cup: Lost in 1st round to Banbury 3-2

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost to Wednesfield 1-0 in Quarter final

Squad

A poor start to the season meant we could have been relegated but a good run of form (5 wins in a row) gave us an outside chance of the playoffs. Which we blew in the final 7 or 8 games of the season. hmmmm sounds familiar

Player/s of the Season

Iain Burgin - A fantastic debut season for the right back. I was dubious at the start of the season whether he was good enough for the 1st eleven but he proved it in the friendlies and kept up his high performances throughout the season.

Jamie Wood - Easily the best player at the club. He is the most consistent and always seems to get above 7 match rating

Phil Benson - Another debutant who had a great first season. Not as good as Iain Burgin but he finished top scorer with 14:o in 41

Finances: Small profit made, i am going to cut down my squad size before the start of next season as i have got 28 in it at the moment.

2014/15         Southern First Division            8th         N/A
2015/16         Southern First Division            11th        N/A

where's Kenworthy gone?

He just hasn't been the same since his 6 month injury

Before injury:

125 lge appearances, 47 goals, av rating 6.88, 0.38 goals/game

After injury:

43 league appearances, 8 goals, av rating 6.55, 0.19 goals/game

Phoenix 09/10

Table

Graph

Season Review: Thought things were going to be rough after the first game but the sqaud started to come together and we went on a run, lost the way once we hit January. Got lucky and the other teams never pulled away and we somehow managed to win the league on the last day of the season.

Onto the L11 playoffs we went where we easily dispatched Old Bexlieans, up to Level 10 we go...

Transfers

Squad

Finances

Players:

Morales - M/MR: Player of the season, was out for around 6 weeks at the end of the season but made it back for the last game and was MoM.

Rainford - S: Leading goal scorer, not much else to say.

Williams - GK: Strong contender for player of the season, but he did fade away during the middle of the season and started leaking some horrible goals.

Season        Division            Position                 Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10       MFC D1               1st                        Promoted

Next Season: Cross my fingers for a youth CB....

Ok Im back, level 11 (lets hope my computer can handle the strain!) Ive taken over at Carlisle City and im raring to go. Squad looks average and Ive already been told that I wont be able to attain a parent or feeder club! However we are predicted to come 4th in the league; must say I will be surprised if I acheive that.

Ill stick my manager profile up in a bit.

Right. I've taken up this challenge and chosen to manage Croydon.

Very nice idea, started the challenge with Wulfrunians, West Midlands Premier League. Media prediction: 21.

Good luck to all of you, very nice opening season Cerneo..

Well I did not get any good CBs through my new youths, did get a real good looking ML though, he is the best player on the team according to my useless assman, looks like he will be a star for seasons to come though.

Also all my problems are solved.

Hahaha love it, your season ticket sales do seem a bit low even for level 10, mine were in the high 30's/low 40's

Archived