The FM 'Give Youth A Chance' Challenge

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a nice twist of events. Bloxwich United was taken over by a tycoon who gave the club 2k(zomgh4x) and has changed the status of my club from Amateur to Professional. Funny thing is he hasnt given me any wage budget....how am I supposed to offer players a full time contract?

And now my players have started asking for fulltime contracts :| The goalkeeper is asking for 1800 a week!! Is he mad?

EDIT 2 - Holy mother of....

tycoon.jpg

madhatter.jpg

Been keeping an eye on this for a week or so now and thought, meh why not start.

So here's the personal profile of the new manager of Team Northumbria of the English Northern League Division Two.

I've always been a fan of the lower leagues on Football Manager but never something quite this extreme... it should be a fun challenge.

At first glance our squad doesn't look up to much at all but we do have a number of players with pace and acceleration over 12 and a youth striker with finishing and composure of around 10, so it's not all that bad...

Here's my first three league results;

Won 1-0 vs. Sunderland Ryhope CA (Away)

Won 3-2 vs. Guisborough (Away)

Won 3-1 vs. Hebburn (Home)

So not a bad start at all.

Well well well, from my last post it seemed as if it was going to be another mediocre season, how wrong was I :)

From my last post we were sitting 17th in the league. After that post we went on a 14 game unbeaten run in all competitions which saw me going up to 2nd in the league and the main highlight the 3-0 victory over Farnborough Resevers, thanks to a certain Josh Rhodes who decided to come into form in the second half of the season. However, this run had to end somewhere and it did, After this we struggled to pick up points but Worcester Park were able to secure a succesful 12th place in the league (predicted 17th).

We also had the small matter of the Combined Counties Premier Cup. We were in the semi-finals with there being a suprising 3 D1 teams and one PREM team. We were drawn against Sport London e Benfica who was one of the 3 in the D1 teams. After a hard fought game, we were able to win 1-0 in extra-time thanks to a well placed header from Andy Dawson. So we were there!!! The first final in 90 years in the Combined Counties Premier Cup. We were against the underacheiving Mole Valley who finished below us. The game ended 1-1 and unfortunately it went to penalties and the even more unfortunate thing was... we lost 6-5 on penalties! However, we did earn some good dough out of it :)

And yes, we had another small matter, the Combined Counties Divison 1 Cup. We were also in the semi-finals in this and were drawn against high-flying, top of the table, Knaphill... We won 2-1! Couldn't believe it, hadn't beaten them in the past 2 years in the league and decide to beat them in the cup, typical. So we were in another final! This time this one was against the semi-finalists in the other cup, Sport London e Benfica. However, we had some injuries and we had a fairly weak side out and were taught a lesson with us losing 2-0. However, we did earn some good dough out of this, aswell! :)

So all in all, a very succesful season. Next season here we come!

I have got to January and I'm 16th of 19 teams in the league. Fortunately, with no relegation places, they are calling that a mid-table position. I'm still in the FA Vase. Lower I come this season, less expectation I will be set next season, I hope.

Edit: Just won in the FA Vase 4th round Replay, go Great Yarmouth Town. :)

That is hilarious! £5m at that level is obscene. Weird you have no wage budget though! You should be able to get your youth facilities up very high with that money though :thup:

Yea the first thing I did was make a board request to improve youth facilities.

transfer transfer money to wage budget.

After I got the 2.5mill transfer budget, the board gave me 9k wage budget. i just upped it to 14k and signed all the players on full time contracts. Finally can load my training schedules :p

I'll give an update while I wait for the inevitably long FA Vase.

I came 15th (of 19) last season. I forgot about renewing my staff contracts, just holidayed some summer. So had to sign 2 obscure staff, assistant manager and physio.

Second season and I've finished my 18 friendlies within a month, getting over £250k in gate receipts. Tasty! :) Now, I've won my first 3 league matches! My expectations in the league are to just enjoy the experience, so I can't really get sacked, I guess? :p

So just finished my first season with AFC Emley in the Northern Counties East Division 1. Finished 4th which meant a playoff against Daisy Hill. Dominated the game, Daisy Hill got a man sent off, but we just couldn't find that goal. So it was off to penalties, and after missing are first two I knew it was not to be our day. Daisy Hill go up with a 3-2 victory on penalties. Will give a more in depth season review a bit later on.

Think you're right about the odds being f*cked.

What the f*ck is this all about?

Thought I might as well show my friendlies.

Talk about getting the team season fit - How ya get west brom to accept, i just started a new save for this challenge with AFC Liverpool and even the teams on offer just keep saying "no" grrrrrrrrrr:thdn:

*EDIT*

Just got Boro & Leeds amongst others now so its fine

Alright chaps - been looking around the forums and love this challenge section, this one in particular caught my eye, Ive been a member for while now (Mostly Browsing) but thought i'd get involved.

Ive just started a save with AFC Liverpool in the North West Counties Division One. The Media prediction for us is to finish 1st :confused: "Pressure" although haven't really had a look around the squad yet, maybe they will be right.

Here's a quick look at my FACILITIES

and my FREINDLIES

Talk about getting the team season fit - How ya get west brom to accept, i just started a new save for this challenge with AFC Liverpool and even the teams on offer just keep saying "no" grrrrrrrrrr:thdn:

*EDIT*

Just got Boro & Leeds amongst others now so its fine

They have to be on the list, and play them at the right time. I got a league with West Ham, Wigan and San Lorenzo, so I made loads from them playing each other too :p

I finished the league in 7th, after a poor finish to the season. I was 2nd with 9 games to go. Lost in the semi-final of the Eastern Counties League Cup on penalties too. Atleast there is a great side, my under-18's won their U18 league. So my youth is somewhat decent. :)

Time to create some more money-making friendlies! :D

So, just finished season one, and boy am i not used to this low level of football management :( , however all water under the bridge now, and we'll move on.

Managed to finish 9th after being 15th for 60% of the season lying in 15th:mad: and was knocked out in 1st rd of all comps barring one, my own league comp - managed a Quarter Final in that, but who am i kidding, this wa the 2nd rd - :o

Below is the link which details all the essential info from the season in one picture, managed to cut and paste crop ect... on photoshop so its better than 3-4 different pictures.

SEASON ONE REVIEW

So onto season 2, lets hope we can grow as a team, after all my avge age of squad is just 22

I've finished my third season now. I'll be playing a fourth season in the 10th tier. This is getting frustrating. Finished 7th. Made it past the first qualifying round of FA Cup too. :rolleyes:

However, I have added some history to the club with a wonderful trophy. :thup:

eclcfinal.th.jpg

I also am in level 10 - (NWC Division One) and was not entered into any stage of the FA Cup:( is this the case for teams in this division as the NWC PRemiership teams do go in it, but there was no entry from my league.

No, it's just that not all level 10 teams enter FA Cup. Same is actually true in real life I believe. However, it goes on a 'seeding' type of system, so top xx teams qualify from each level 10 division. I got in with 7th, but wasn't in the year after I finished 15th. :thdn:

You get the idea?

I've just finished arranging my friendlies leagues and cup for the 4th season. I'm expecting alot of gate receipts and TV revenue.

Bradford, Anderlecht and Zamalek in friendly league.

Notts County, Northampton and Farnborough in friendly cup.

Bradford, Tigre and Zamalek in friendly league. (TV)

Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Rangers in friendly cup. (TV)

Nunthorpe Athletic in friendly match.

Aston Villa, Birmingham and Anderlecht in friendly league. (TV)

Rangers, Valladolid and Rayo Vallecano in friendly league. (TV)

Genoa, Atalanta and Lazio in friendly league. (TV)

Anderlecht, Rayo Vallecano and Tigre in friendly league. (TV)

Ludlow in friendly match.

Leicester City, Derby County and Notts Forest in friendly cup.

Anderlecht, Rayo Vallecano and Tigre in friendly league. (TV)

Ilford, Nantwich and Rugby in friendly league.

Anderlecht in friendly match.

Fritwell in friendly match.

gcah2008 - thats gonna be a lot of revenue generated

(cool)

Whats ya bank balance like now, im on saeason two, just started ansd ive got £227k

I've been working out how to get better and better revenue each year. At the end of last season I was up to about £1mill balance. I'm probably going to double it with this season's friendlies. :thup:

I've finished my third season now. I'll be playing a fourth season in the 10th tier. This is getting frustrating. Finished 7th. Made it past the first qualifying round of FA Cup too. :rolleyes:

However, I have added some history to the club with a wonderful trophy. :thup:

eclcfinal.th.jpg

I've been working out how to get better and better revenue each year. At the end of last season I was up to about £1mill balance. I'm probably going to double it with this season's friendlies. :thup:

In the words of the A team's Col. John "Hanibal" Smith

I love it when a plan comes together"

Superb mate

I know exactly what you mean. I started one of my season's with 6 consecutive wins, thought I'd romp it. Then halfway through the season, couldn't even get a point for love nor money. :(

Friendly results

Confidence

Finances

Got completely destroyed in most of friendlies. Not much effect on either team morale or board confidence. Then there is my wonderful finances, £1.7mill+ of my turnover is from gate receipts and £1.3mill+ from TV revenue.

And my board has finally considered training and youth facility upgrades. :thup:

FM09 GYAC - Mertyr 15 yr Recap - Mary Mark!

Hi all, I am going into my 15th season of this challenge on FM09 with Mertyr (I am not buying FM10), and have been updated my career here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

However, with this new thread appearing, I thought it would be best to share my updates in this new thread, and whilst I'm at it I'll also provide a quick 15 year history of my time at Merthyr:

2009/10 (BSS): Finished 2nd in my first year in the BSS, and gained promotion through the playoffs in my first attempt

2010/11 - 2014/15 (BSP): 5 years in the BSP, during which I managed to win my first trophy, the FA Trophy. I finished 2nd in my 5th season of the BSP, and again won promotion through the playoffs to League 2

2015/16 - 2018/19 (League Two): 4 years in League Two, in my 4th year everything came together and I managed to end the season champions of League Two!

2019/20 - 2020/21 (League One): Two very tough years in League One, the 2nd season saw me finish 21st, 3 points away from saftey, and relegated back to League Two

2021/22 (League Two): Finished 3rd in my first season back in League Two to secure automatic promotion back to League One, and also managed to win the Johnsons Paint Trophy!

2022/23 (League One): A fantastic first season back in League One, where I managed to finish 3rd, just missing out on automatic promotion to the Championship! I won mean Playoff semi-final, but lost the playoff final 3-4

In addition to just missing out to promotion to the Championship in 2022/23, something fantastic happened... as part of a board takeover (2nd one for the club), in addition to giving the club a couple of million in cash, the new chairman decided to upgrade the youth and training facilities (which were both average initially) - after the upgrade they are both world class and cannot be upgraded any further! With this great bit of new, I'm confident that a push into the Championship (and maybe one day the Premiership?) isn't too far away.

So, that is the short history of my club, now onto the 2023/24 season update!

FM09 - Merthyr 2023/24 Season Update - League One - Marky Mark!

2009/10 - BSS, 2nd - Promotion through playoffs!

2010/11 - BSP, 18th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2011/12 - BSP, 6th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2013/14 - BSP, 14th - FA Trophy winners!

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2015/16 - League Two, 20th

2016/17 - League Two, 13th, JPT S Quarter Final

2017/18 - League Two, 9th

2018/19 - League Two, 1st, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Two Champions!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation :(

2021/22 - League Two, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, JPT Winners!, Automatic Promotion!

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final

2023/24 - League One, 2nd, FA Cup 4th Round, Automatic Promotion!

After just mising out on automatic promotion last season the team managed one better this season by finishing in 2nd place, and by doing so securing promotion to the Championship! Despite finishing 2nd the season could have gone either way, with Merthy managing wins in games they didn't really deserve to win, and despite sitting in 3rd or 4th for most of the season, managed to save their best till last and climb into 2nd place come the end of the season.

2024 League Table and Graph

Whilst there were again contribution from all players, one player in particular stood out, and that was young striker Mark Quinn

Another injury interupted season meant he could only play 39 matches, but he manged 26 goals, 7 assists, 12 MOM and an average rating of 7.33, breaking the previous record of 7.32 set in 2009. He also League One Top Goalscorer runner-up and part of the League One Players Select. There is now a lot of interest in him, but hopefully the lure of Championship football will keep him at the club!

Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

A short update by me this season despite the sucess, that is because I am in the middle of an engrossing debut Championship season! Hopefully I'll have more good news to report shortly!

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 2nd in League One

Most Games Without Losing: 15 - 31.10.2023 to 10.1.2024

Most Games Without Conceding: 7 - 31.10.2023 to 2.12.2023

Highest Average Rating: Mark Quinn - 7.33 (38 apps)

Most League Goals for Club: Marcus Griffiths - 242

Youngest Player: David Powell - 16 years 10 days v Plymouth (A) Carling Cup 1st Rnd 16.8.2023

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2023/24 Update

Matthew Harris, MC, 35: 764 apps in 18 seasons

After managing 15 apperances last season, I wanted to give him a few more in his last season, but with his stats plummeting and a place in the Championship up for grabs I couldn't manage it, so he didn't add to his tally of last season, and retires with 764 apperances, the current Merthyr record, around 100 apperances ahead of the next closest player. Unfortunatly I don't have a pic of his stats prior to retirement (though I can tell you they were pretty awfull), but as you can see he has stayed on as a coach, becoming the 3rd ex-player to become a staff member.

Rob Simpson, DC, 31: 672 apps in 15 seasons

After a solid season last season he was again interupted by injury this season and only managed 35 apperances this season. Given the lack of any decent up and coming defenders to replace him, he will probably stay in the starting lineup for the next few years at least and should be able to overhaul Harris' record, but will come well short of the 1,000 apperances mark

Chris Thompson, GK, 25: 454 apps in 9 seasons

53 games this season, and although he has not yet reached the half way mark of the challenge, is still on track to reach it if he can stay injury free and playing for the next 11 seasons (and of course not be poached by another club!) - still unlikely, but it is getting slightly more likely with each passing season...

Archived