Dosthill Colts, Southern League Premier Division 2018/19 Season Summary

League: 14th

FA Cup: Lost to Eastwood in 1st Qual Round 1-0

FA Trophy: Lost in the 4th Qual Round 3-2 to Bromsgrove

Southern League Cup: Lost in 2nd Round to Rugby on penalties after 1-1

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Lost in 1st round 3-1 to Tividale

League Table, League Graph

Squad

A really disappointing season and by far the worst that I've had in charge. We were poor in every department. In other seasons we at least created chances in matches we lost. But in large parts of this season we failed to create chances in matches. It was only a 12 match unbeaten run in the 2nd half of the season which saved us from relegation.

Player/s of the Season

Russ Stone - The only player to get above a 7 average rating over the whole season, just shows how badly the squad played

Iain Burgin - Didn't play too badly for the most part of the season. But a poor patch around September/October

Finances - A slight increase but I doubt it will be enough to make the board upgrade the youth facilities which I desperately need

Season              League                        Position        Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Midland Combinations Premier       2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2010/11         Midland Football Alliance          14th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup
2011/12         Midland Football Alliance          12th        N/A
2012/13         Midland Football Alliance          1st         Promotion
2013/14         Southern First Division            10th        N/A
2014/15         Southern First Division            8th         N/A
2015/16         Southern First Division            11th        N/A
2016/17         Southern First Division            2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2017/18         Southern Premier                   6th         N/A
2018/19         Southern Premier                   14th        N/A

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it up Marky Mark,

and also come on Chris Thompson you can do it :)

I know these 2 questions are probably inappropriate but:

a) How are my team Rushden and Diamonds doing?

b) Other that your team, who would you say are the biggest suprise teams

Hmmm interesting how Carlisle City moved across to the Wearside League and AFC Emley to the Kent County League. Think SB needs to check the Emley one. :(

Nice to see quite a bit of success for a change. SB's excuse :D of having flu is delaying my level 11 start. No doubt it would just be another case of gratuatous success anyway. Really must stop using exploits and bugs. ;)

Another update coming up soon, but to answer your perfectly appropriate questions Sheriff:

a) Rushden and Diamonds have shared their time between the BSP and League Two, but their last season was in League Two, where they lost the promotion playoff final. They have a couple of trophies to their name, the Setanta Shield in 2025 and the FA Trohpy in 2035.

Rushden League History

b) The biggest climber in the leagues would have to be ex-BSP team Cambridge United, who have spent the last 9 seasons in the Championship.

The biggest fall I think is from ex-Premiership team Wigan, who for the pat 12 seasons have been stuck down in League Two.

As mentioned in my updates, ex-top 4 side Liverpool were also a big mover. After having money problems, they were relegated from the EPL in 2027 to the Championship, where they lasted 3 seasons before being relegated to League One in in 2032 (and going into administration in the process). They lasted 2 seasons in League One before returning to the Premiership, and have now lost in the Championship promotion playoffs for the last 3 seasons.

Cheadle Town - Season 1- 09/10 - NW Counties Division 1

League

Table- It was that easy, the only time I struggled throughout the season was in November and December, other then that, the defence was good, the midfield was good and up front was average.

Cups

FA Cup - 1st qualifying round

FA Vase - 2nd Qualifying Round

NWC Challenge Cup - 2nd Round

Cheshire Senior Cup - 1st Round

NWC D1 Trophy - Winners - Took my chances and defended well

Players/Achievements

Top Goalscorer - Graham McDonagh was the leagues top scorer with 14 in 30 and overall 16 in 38 for the season, this coming off a guy with 1 for finishing and 3 for composure :D

Cheadle Town's player of the year - Jamie Roberts was sensational, the 16 year old was top of the assists chart with 14 and had a season average of 7.12 from 38 games, he should do the lowerer tiers for years to come.

I claimed manager of the year which I am happy with in my first season.

Cheadle Town have now turned semi-pro

Ones to Watch

There are two in particular which will be kept eye on in the next season.

The ass man's choice is Andros Andreou - I have to say, if the reports are correct then he will be a leading star for the club. With dual nationality, there may be potential for youth caps for Cyprus.

Another noticable candidate is Lewis Tandy - I must say WOW, i need to keep hold of him as he can become a leading star at level 9 and is already rated at 3 stars with a potential of 5. He will be getting a lot of games this season as he is the 2nd best striker after McDonagh.

Season   League         Pos.  FA Cup   Europe     Achievements
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  NWCD1    (L10) 1st   1st Ql.  N/A        Promotion, NWCD1 Trophy winners

FM09 - Merthyr 2034/35 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2009/10 - BSS, 2nd - Promotion through playoffs!

2010/11 - BSP, 18th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2011/12 - BSP, 6th - Setanta Shield Qtr Final

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2013/14 - BSP, 14th - FA Trophy winners!

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2015/16 - League Two, 20th

2016/17 - League Two, 13th, JPT S Quarter Final

2017/18 - League Two, 9th

2018/19 - League Two, 1st, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Two Champions!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2020/21 - League One, 21st, FA Cup 4th Round, Relegation

2021/22 - League Two, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, JPT Winners!, Automatic Promotion!

2022/23 - League One, 3rd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Lost in playoff final :(

2023/24 - League One, 2nd, FA Cup 4th Round, Automatic Promotion!

2024/25 - Championship, 22nd, FA Cup 3rd Round, Relegation

2025/26 - League One, 4th, Carling Cup 4th Round, Promotion through Playoffs!

2026/27 - Championship, 21st

2027/28 – Championship, 20th, FA Cup Sixth Round

2028/29 - Championship, 19th, Carling Cup 3rd Round

2029/30 - Championship, 13th, FA Cup Fourth Round

2030/31 - Championship, 16th

2031/32 - Championship, 5th, Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

2032/33 - Championship, 6th, Carling Cup 4th Round Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

2033/34 - Championship, 15th

2034/35 - Championship, 11th

After a fairly average season last season, I was hoping for an improvement, and that's what I got... but only just, moving up from 15th last season to 11th this season, but still never really challenging for a playoff spot. Not much more to be said really.

2035 League Table and Graph

Player of the season this year was again winger Danny Carroll, his 4th title in 5 years, with 43 games at 7.19 this season, plus 8 international apperances, bringing his number of Welsh caps to 24.

The young player of the season is, for the 2nd season in a row, U18 right back John Anderson. After managing 4 games at 6.63 last season, he managed 18 games at 6.56 this season - still not impressive reading, but he was handy to have as cover when my usual full backs were unavailable.

2035 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Something interesting also happened with back room staff, with my 60-something year old assistant manager, who has faithfully assisted me the past 26 seasons, deciding to retire at the end of the season. Having to pick on of my existing coaches to replace him, I decided to go with 40 year old ex-player (and club favoured personnel) Jason Puncheon. Surprisingly, his tactical knowledge of 7 was the highest amongst the potential assistant managers, and with a JPA and JPP of 20 and 17, he was the obvious choice (not that I really listen to my assistant, but still).

Interestingly, the first thing Puncheon did when appointed at the end of the season was to say this - I've never seen this before in my years of playing FM, quite a nice touch!

The rest of my back room staff - Note that 3 of my 15 coaches were original Merthyr players, as was 1 of my 2 physios. The other 17 staff are all ex-players (with more likely to join).

Finances wise, another slight dip this season, but finances still a healthy $23M.

2035 Finances

New Club Records

Most League Apps for Club: Chris Thompson - 896

Oldest Player: Chris Thompson - 36 years 195 days v Notts Co (A) Championship 6.5.2035

So, all in all, this has been a very uneventful season, except for one milestone that occured during the season...

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2034/35 Update - CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

(Record - Chris Thompson: 1005 apperances in 20 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 36: 1005 apps in 20 seasons

As he has done so many times in his career, despite his age and declining stats, Thompson again managed to stay injury free and play every game for Merthyr this season, bringing up 48 games for the season, and... 1005 games for Merthyr over 20 seasons - CONGRATS CHRIS THOMPSON

Whilst every game in Chris Thompson's first 19 season was earnt on merrit, I have to admit that this latest season wasn't, as his stats are now clearly declining, and comparing him to reserve keeper Les Champion (who I have had several offers for), it's obvious who should be the first choice keeper. Still, Champion will get his chance soon enough.

Whilst Thompson has made no indication he plans to retire any time soon, I think now that he has reached this milestone, he might see his first team chances limited from now on, but if Champion gets injured he might just get another chance!

I'll do a more thorough update on his career once he retires, but even if he has played his last game, 1,005 is a fantastic effort, I'm sure something few thought would ever happen. His 20 seasons have seen him spend 5 seasons in League Two, 5 in League One, and 10 in the Championship. He was part of the 2019 League Two Players Select, 2023 League One Players Select, and was also part of the side that were League Two champions in 2019 and Johnstone's Paint Trophy winners in 2022.

Congratulations again Chris Thompson!!

Cheadle Town - Season 2- 10/11 - NW Counties Premier Division

League

Table - It was comfortable in the end but as you can see scoring was a serious problem throughout the league but I had a solid defence which helped me as well to finsh as well as I did.

Cup

FA Cup-3rd Ql. Rnd - Well deserved defeat in one sided game

FA Vase-2nd Ql. Rnd - Close, even game but was rather unlucky

NWC Challenge Cup - 3rd Round - Again it was close fought but they were more clinical.

Cheshire Cup- Quarter Final- Knocked out Northwich of the BSP in the 1st game in a upset but deserved to lose in the Q.F as we didn't turn up.

Awards

I won Manager of the Year which was justified as I was a newly promoted team who won the league.

Nicky Pointon was awarded Cheadle Town Player of the Year as he had a solid season with a rating of 7.14 over 47 games, well deserved award which there was no competition.

Youth Players

Andros Andreou - averaged 6.50 over 23 games scoring once which was in the game that decided the title. What a time to score your first goal for the club.

Lewis Tandy - Scored 2 in 34 appearances and averaged 6.39 over the season. He had a rather unlucky season due to being caught offside constantly which cost him 11 potential goals.

Introducing Glen Bryan Report - If he is the best striker in my squad, this could be a long season but I will have faith and tweak the tactics so he can utilise his pace and acceleration and just pray he buries the chances.

Only objectives are safety in league and good cup runs.

Season   League         Pos.  FA Cup   Europe     Achievements
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  NWCD1    (L10) 1st   1st Ql.  N/A        Promotion, NWCD1 Trophy winners
2010/11  NWCPD    (L9 ) 1st   3rd Ql.  N/A        Promotion 

I'm going to take this challenge, and with the intention to take it as far as it's possible. Seasons will go really fast anyway, no time spending on scouting and transfers, not looking for staff... Nice sidegame next to my Full Europe game.

I downloaded the level10-version of Super Bladesman's project, not the level-11 one, just to make the game a bit faster.

I took Great Yarmouth Town, in the Eastern Counties League Division One (level 10).

My profile and Team info screens.

Got 2 funny names in my team already : James Dean and David Lynch :p James Dean is actually one of my best players, I'm afraid I won't keep him too long. David Lynch seems useless.

I'll post following updates in decent format :)

Good Luck to everyone who has just started

Dosthill Colts, Southern League Premier Division 2019/20 Season Summary

League: 10th

FA Cup: Lost to Gainsborough in 1st Qual Round 1-0

FA Trophy: Lost in the 2nd Qual Round 1-0 to Folkestone

Southern League Cup: Lost in 1st Round to Malvern 3-2

Birmingham Floodlit Cup: Won the final 3-2 against Darlaston

League Table, League Graph

Squad

We made a very slow start but due to our early exits in most of the cups we progressed well in the league. For a while we had a good chance at the playoffs but as we neared the end of the season we could tell that would be a step too far. I will take the mid table position especially as we were expected to "attempt to avoid relegation"

Don't normally write about the cups because usually there is nothing to write about but this year we actually won one. Although it was the Birmingham Floodlit Cup where all the other teams entered are at least 2 leagues below us. We managed to beat Darlaston in the final 3-2 despite a late scare.

Player/s of the Season

Jamie Wood - The only player to get an average rating of over 7. He played well for most of the season but will need to be backed up by the rest of the defence next season

Phil Benson - Top scorer this season and a vast improvement from last season where he managed 5 in 42. This season he managed 16 in the same number of games.

Finances: improved a lot again mainly due to the Floodlit Cup, the final had a crowd of 2087 :eek:. But still can't upgrade youth facilities due to "lack of funds." Absolute bull****

I was also offered a new 3 year contract on 300 a week. That will last till June 2023.

Season              League                        Position        Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Midland Combinations Premier       2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2010/11         Midland Football Alliance          14th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup
2011/12         Midland Football Alliance          12th        N/A
2012/13         Midland Football Alliance          1st         Promotion
2013/14         Southern First Division            10th        N/A
2014/15         Southern First Division            8th         N/A
2015/16         Southern First Division            11th        N/A
2016/17         Southern First Division            2nd         Promoted via Playoffs
2017/18         Southern Premier                   6th         N/A
2018/19         Southern Premier                   14th        N/A
2019/20         Southern Premier                   10th        Birmingham Floodlit Cup

Leto2626 @ Great Yarmouth Town – Season 1 (2009-2010)

Current Division : Eastern Counties League Division One (Level 10)

Tactic :

For now I'm using a Rigid attacking 4-4-2. I wanted to play more pressing with 3 strikers, gave it some matches, but I just don't have the material for it so I switched back.

Cups :

Our best run was actually the FA Cup, we managed to get in the 4th Qualifying Round, were we met Eastleigh, and lost with 2-1 (we scored one goal out of 2 chances, we didn't stand a chance). We needed a rematch along the way as well after a late equalizer, frustrating when you're already struggling with condition.

In other cups we never did better than 2 rounds.

League :

We had a pretty steady season, not doing a lot better in the 2nd half despite the lack of cupmatches, some luck here and there made us win the league with nice comfort.

League table

We scored most goals, so that's good ;)

League player statistics chart

We got the topscorer, and our second in the list is our left midfielder, half of them are penalties.

Players :

End of season statistics (ranked by minutes played)

Our best player turned out to be a centre back with Guyanan second nationality, Baguley, he has a 1 for tackling and 4 for marking, but he's pretty fast and has a high determination, that must be it I assume.

I misjudged my strikers at the start of the season as I only started using Cresswell after I brought him in somewhere and scored 2 goals. He barely scored in the last 12 matches though. In general I'm not happy about my strikeforce.

James Dean always plays as the rock on the midfield.

The other 2 next to Baguley and Dean I always put on the field are Phelan (the left winger, can play centre) and the young goalkeeper Ray Foster, I chose him above the older ones and he didn't disappoint really, hopefully he has some growing potential. Released a moaning keeper who annoyed me.

Transfers (anti cheat check !)

Conclusion :

Managing at the lowest level has a complete different feel, not many goals are scored (my best was an exceptional 4-0, but most games were won with 1 goal difference, and a lot of 0-0 and 1-1 draws).

My goal was promotion to get semi-professional (I assumed this reading these posts here), and I'm happy it happened without problems.

I'm hoping on soms strikers next youth spawn. And more left and right midfielders for subs (or replacement) would be nice, unless I get my strikers and can star playing pressure centre football ;)

Won 3 manager of the month awards, not too bad I guess. I'm not expecting consequent promotions, I think i'll need a bit better squad and maybe tactic for that.

BWG - The player who started my thoughts of a 1,000 apperance challenge was defender Rob Simpson, who managed 856 apperances in 21 seasons (only 3 games in his last 2 seasons), so not a bad effort, but a few injuries here and there meant he was never going to get there.

Of the current players, 27 year old defender Craig Bennett has the appearances of current players (excluding Chris Thompson, who is still going) at 481. Whilst he might have maybe 6 seasons left, he's not in danger of breaking the 800 mark, let alone the 1,000 mark.

Another Merthyr update coming up soon!

FM09 - Merthyr 2035/36 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2014/15 - BSP, 2nd - FA Trophy Semi-Final, FA Cup 3rd Round, Promotion through playoffs!

2019/20 - League One, 16th, FA Cup 3rd Round, Carling Cup 3rd Round, JPT S Semi Final

2032/33 - Championship, 6th, Carling Cup 4th Round Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

2035/36 - Championship, 7th, FA Cup Sixth Round, Carling Cup Third Round

After some nothing seasons the previous two seasons, I didn't know what to expect this season, however at the start of the season I made the tough decision not to start vetran (36 year old) keeper Chris Thompson, who's attributes were now looking quite terrible... although in a kind move, I decided to play him in our cup games (which we normally don't have too many of per season), although in a shock, we had our best cup run in recent times, reaching the 3rd round of the Carling Cup and the 6th Round / Quarter Finals of the FA Cup.

In the league, things went much better than in recent seasons, and we were sitting in the top 6 for most of the season, however the form dropped of in the last 3rd of the season, and, as has happened a couple of times in recent seasons, Merthyr's playoff hopes again came down to the last game of the season. Liverpool and Sheff Wed were 5th and 6th with 77 points, and Merthyr were sitting in 7th place, outside of the playoff zone, on 74 points, still a chance of claiming 6th (or 5th) place. However, Merthyr's chances were slim, as their GD is 7 worse than Sheff Wed, and 18 worse than Liverpool. So to have any chance of promotion, Merthyr needed Sheff Wed not only to lose, but to lose heavily.

Sheff Wed did lose, 0-2, and Merthyr did manage a 3-1 win, but it was to no avail, as they fell an agonizing +3 GD short of a 3rd playoff campaign.

2036 League Table and Graph

The Fan's Player of the Year this season was 23 year old central midfielder / defender Terry Eaton. I his 7th season, he managed 43 apperances at 7.12 (plus 2 international caps at 7), and amazingly, in his 7 seasons at the club, has never averaged less than 7.02 - now that is consistancy!

None of the U18 guys managed to make a senior apperance, however one player was used as a substitute during an injury crisis, and stood out for another reason, and that is 2nd year player Vlatko Culjak. As you can tell, he doesn't have a very Welsh name, and that is because he is not Welsh, but has Croatian / British nationality, the first non-Welsh player to come through Merthyr (I previously had a Welsh / Somalian player come through for some strange reason). The young croat can play on either wing or in central midfield, so whilst his attributes aren't amazing at this stage, his versitility might come in handy (and the fact he can play on the left is very handy, as there are only 2 natuar left wingers at the club).

2036 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finance wise, the good cup runs saw the club more or less break even, and the closing bank balance was $25M, more or less what it has been for the last couple of seasons.

2036 Finances

New Club Records

Highest Gate Receipts: $650,000 v Bristol City FA Cup 3rd Rnd 16.1.2036

Average Attendance: 9,680

Oldest Player: Chris Thompson - 37 years 137 days v Chelsea (A) FA Cup 6th Rnd 8.3.2036

Other News

In the 2036 European Championship, a Merthyr inspired Wales managed to stun the continant by getting through the Group Stages, beating Spain and Denmark in the Quarter and Semi Finals, before meeting England in the final, where they lost on penalties.

That Welsh side had contained 4 current Merthy players, and anoter 3 ex-Merthyr players, including 32 year old superstar Mark Quinn, who broke the Welsh record for most international goals by scoring his 50th goal for Wales.

So, all in all an improvement on recent seasons, but still a little way of my record finish of 5th four seasons ago. I'll keep on playing until vetran keeper Chris Thompson retires (no sign of that happening), but I'm not sure how much longer I'll go after that, as it looks like I could be in the Championship for ever!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 20345/36 Update - CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

(Record - Chris Thompson: 1,012 apperances in 21 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 37: 1,012 apps in 21 seasons

Despite not being good enough to get any senior league apperances this season, I took pity on him and decided to start him in all the cup games (except for a couple he missed due to injury), and surprisingly, Merthyr had one of their best cup runs ever, resulting in Thompson making 7 cup apperances, 12 conceeded (5 against Chelsea), 2 clean sheets, and 1 MOM.

Whilst his 7 apperances this season is well short of the 50 games per season he was previously averaging, it still increases his career tally slightly, and with no hint of a retirement, he should have at least 2 more seasons left in him, although given how bad his attributes are now, I don't think I can justify playing him in cup matches next season, although I might try loaning him out to see if he can get some games in the lower leagues.

Leto2626 @ Great Yarmouth Town – Season 2 (2010-2011)

Starting Division : Eastern Counties League Division One (Level 10)

Current Division : Eastern Counties League Premier Division (Level 9)

Team info

We became semi-pro, yay ! Youth is now earning 20 euro a month, average first team players 90 euro a onth. I got offered a 725 euro a month contract, so I cost the club almost 9k euro a year, not good !

Pre-season friendlies are the key income I realized. Pretty unrealistic that traveling to Fiji, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands is the way to make money, plane travel is free these days? :p We could get up to 20.000 euro per game in those countries, next season I’ll take more than the 5 we did now. It won’t hurt the team morale too bad after all (took some lower level friendlies who didn’t get us any decent money, to make sure we got some wins this time) I made 2 player selections and went fine condition wise as well, I should even get more friendlies actually. The money is what we need.

Youth :

At first sight a nice keeper has come through. I already thought I had a decent one, this one looked even better. Glen Gilbert, with a second nationality South African. A left back and right back seemed better than the ones I had, guess I can’t complain for a 2nd season !

Tactic :

Can’t change to 3 strikers as I didn’t get any extra striker that can make a difference, so just staying with the rigid 4-4-2.

Cups :

We had again a nice FA Cup run, this time we defeated a team from 2 levels up, not too bad ! There seemed to be a bug though, I got this message when I lost in the 4th qualifying round :

GY_challengersFAcup10-11.png

Challengers for the FA Cup, o really !

In the FA Vase we also had a 4 round run, losing eventually to a lower team :(

In the Norfolk Senior cup we managed to lose against a team of our former division in the 3rd round. Pretty funny I was the last ECL team in that cup, the rest was EC1 and lvl 11.

Eastern Counties Cup was no success, only got to the 2nd round.

League :

We started decent, stayed around 6th place until half way season, then we had a string of great results, bring us to the top with at some point 9 points ahead. But around day 27 (40 to be played) we stopped scoring, we had a run of 8 games unable to win. 3 other teams besides me stayed close, it could go any way. We managed to win some again but we drew and lost more than the opposition. 3 days before the end we were in 4th place, with 3 teams above is within 4 points. The last day I had to win and Leiston had to draw or lose. I had to play the team at the bottom, Leiston the bottom last. We won 2-0, Leiston drew … we ended 2nd on goal difference with 2 other teams … never seen much closer stuff than this in FM. For some reason we were given a boost and we won the playoff game with ease. I never expected promotion before the season, but 13 days before the end I thought we would win it with ease … seemed not !

League table

Squad summary :

We did not score too many goals, seems logical as the strikers are the worst part of the team. Defense wise I’m happy, a good keeper and a nice full defensive line. I seem to be a bit short on central midfielders, but the ones I have decent. The wingers are having bigger problems to reach the strikers, at least they did at the end of the season, not exactly sure what changed.

For some reason all my rightbacks had above 7.00 rating. Baguley dropped since last season but Farman took his place. I guess my defenders are just better able to do their jobs than the rest of the team at low level.

Conclusion :

We definitely need better strikers to improve as a squad, so again I’m hoping on a better striker, a keeper would be a waste at this point, midfielders would be welcome too.

The cups start to annoy me, ok it’s extra money, even from the replays (we had 3 of those this season), but they really waste a lot of time switching players.

Transfers (anti cheat check !)

I should have more time to play for a week, hoping to get through some seasons fast.

Season		Division						Position	Achievements
=====================================================================================================================
2009-2010	Eastern Counties League Division One (level 10)		1st		Promotion
2010-2011	Eastern Counties League Premier Division (level 9)	2nd		Promotion (playoff) 

Leto2626 @ Great Yarmouth Town – Season 3 (2011-2012)

Current Division : Isthmian League First Division North (Level 8)

Forgot a to take the start of season ‘Team info’ screen.

Played 13 friendlies in pre-season, made 3 selections of players and rotated, it brought my finances up to 300k Euro.

I had a chairman takeover this season, took like 4 months, they promised 95k but eventually I got nothing, just a new chairman.

Youth Intake :

Can’t complain, I got 2 strikers who looked better than what I had, a nice centre back, 2 nice full backs (both DRL !), a decent midfielder, a left winger, the rest looked really bad. Well it’s a matter of watching them through the season and decide the next season to demote them to ‘out of the squad of 16’, that’s how I do it. Wished I could assign squad numbers !

Tactic :

Kept the 4-4-2, planned to use both new young strikers, I didn’t expect them to be scoring machines yet, but you have to start somewhere.

Cups :

Best Cup run was Norfolk Senior Cup where we got into the semi final, and lost to a lvl9 team.

League :

We started pretty terrible, too many cup matches, too much squad rotation … at some point we played 6 games less than most of the rest of the league, that took till past half the season to become less. We failed to score, big time, but hell many other teams had the same problem. The champion of last season was in last spot for a long time, to end in relegation platoff and lose, how sad ! We floated around 15-19th spot (with fewer games played) for like 25 games then we had a better period, suddenly bring us to 10th spot. Eventually we ended 13th, media prediction was 16th. Looks like I just have to be patient, I think it’s the younger players mostly that are the unstable factor. Looks like we could be here for a while.

League table

Squad summary :

Topscorer made 9 goals, pretty awful for a season with 54 games… But I believe in my youth strikers, no use playing the old ones, they can’t improve anyway.

The DR spot is again the one with the best rating, but Kennedy looks like my one of my best players stat wise, which is of course still not impressive. The new DC Vaughan is wanted by too many clubs to my liking so I guess he has a decent potential too.

Conclusion :

It’s obvious you can’t gain fast success with youth only, it feels like it has already stopped at lvl 8, a long way to go, I’m patient !

Transfers (anti cheat check)

Season	Division			Pos	Achievements		Most League Apps	
===========================================================================================
09-10	Eastern Counties League D1	1st	Promotion		Ray Foster	36
10-11	Eastern Counties League PRM	2nd	Promotion (playoff)	Hayden Baguley 	70
11-12	Isthmian League D1 North	13th	None			James Dean	105 

Surely Merthyr are not a Level 10 team?

Andover New Street are the team I have picked.

Marky Mark! started in FM09 and continues that game, he could not pick lower back then :) I wouldn't start over if I made it that far as well tbh, sick achievements !

Leto2626 @ Great Yarmouth Town – Season 4 (2012-2013)

Current Division : Isthmian League First Division North (Level 8)

Team info

Arranged 20 friendlies this time, starting on 2 juli :p Made 3 selections again and rotated. Only the first games give some condition issues but that’s gone very fast actually so I’ll do this every season, need the money, the board doesn’t want to hear about upgrading anything yet :(

Youth Intake :

Looked decent, especially a left winger I could use immediately. Also 3 strikers, now I finally got some players in front to choose from, not that I expect any scoring machines for the next 10 seasons really, but at least I have some different that can evolve.

Tactic :

Normally when I play with 2 in front I use a target man and an advanced forward. Not that these players would understand these roles but I stick to them anyway, and I’m glad there was a tall strong guy among the new strikers as well, potential target man, I got 2 of these now, Cash was the next one from last season. Now I can at least choose between target men and the striker next to him instead of just place the strikers I had up front, hopefully it will make a difference.

If the 4-4-2 doesn’t work out this season I might try a 4-3-3 next, but with that winger talent I have that would be a shame actually, and I love wingers.

I changed the 4-4-2 to more pressing and a but quicker, I got nothing to lose anyway, much worse than last season was not possible with so few goals scores. Then I rather concede a little more but score a lot more, was worth the try.

Cups :

Pretty good runs in the FA Cup (1st round, best we did so far), FA Trophy (4 rounds).

We won the Norfolk Senior Cup, which we should have won last year as well as we are like the only level 8 team in it.

Other cups were average, the board was delighted with every one of them so that’s good !

League :

I continued using the rotation selections I made for pre-season, as it would save me time, I didn’t want to pick out individuals every single game to replace. With all the cups we play games every 3-4 days for like 4-5 months straight, so decided to rotate and try to pick the ‘A’ squad for the bigger games. That seemed to work fine, that together with the pressing. Took some time until I decided who were my ‘A’ and ‘B’ strikers but we scored more often than last season that was obvious. The results kept coming, with stealing points here and there, we were around 3rd position halfway season with less matches played. We steadily progressed to 2nd and eventually when all matches were evened out we were in 1st place. Only Northwood could ruin our title but it didn’t happen. W ended with double the amount of goals scored from last season, and less conceded, we only lost 8 games so I guess we’re the deserved champions !

League table

Squad summary :

As I used even my ‘C’ selection twice during the season a lot of players spent official game time, which is actually nice.

My keeper takes the penalties, halfway the season he was the topscorer of the team :p But Cash and O’Reilly became my main strikers (same as last year actually) and did good. Cash is supposed to be the target man and O’Reilly the advanced forward but if you look at the stats you might think otherwise, but no one cares about that, the goals is what matters at the moment.

I had tons of injuries, mostly strikers but in the meanwhile I have enough of them. I prefer the younger ones, those you can improve and teach stuff and that will hopefully pay off in the future.

Taylor was the only one I set up in my ‘A’ team of the new players. Mark Wright fell out of that squad somewhere, although he started more promising.

I have a problem with captaincy though, I pick James Dean because he’s the oldest regular but not that much influence. I made Bulley vice captain but he felt pressure, but I had to pick someone, at least one that plays enough games and has good influence.

Based on these stats I will pick the selections of next season, I really need a process like this if I don’t want to drown in the amount of players.

I ditch unhappy people at the end of the season, they won’t be playing more than they do now anyway. I should not be dragged into emotional relations with my players too much, I tend to do that in all my games, ah well I’ll try :)

Conclusion :

Great season, sorted out a way of playing this challenge, I really like it !

I checked my job status and it’s ‘Untouchable’ at the moment ! Great !

Transfers (anti cheat check)

Season	Division			Pos	Achievements			Most League Apps	
===================================================================================================
09-10	Eastern Counties League D1	1st	Promotion			Ray Foster	36
10-11	Eastern Counties League PRM	2nd	Promotion (playoff)		Hayden Baguley 	70
11-12	Isthmian League D1 North	13th	None				James Dean	105
12-13	Isthmian League D1 North	1st	Promotion, Norfolk Senior Cup	James Dean	139

littlehamptontown1.jpg

Littlehampton Town - English Sussex County League Division Two - 2009/2010 Season

I actually completed this season several months ago, but have only just rediscovered the save, and I thought I'd give an update on my progress.

Table

Progress

We were far from convincing throughout the year, but came good at the right time, with a 12 game unbeaten run at the end of the season which sealed the title.

Squad

I prefer to play without wingers, but the squad has no DM and no AM, so I'm forced to. At the back we were solid, but I was chopping and changing all season as my Assman struggled to make up his mind as to who was actually good enough for the team. In midfield, the standout performer was Crawford, who was our top assister, and my only representitive in the player of the year competition. On the right, I have two quality players, Marsden and Montague, but the former was the better player this year. We wouldn't have got promoted, or done half as well in cup competitions, has it not been for the goals of Tom Harding, who almost managed 20 this year. Top effort.

Cup Competitions - We won the Sussex County League Division Two Challeneg Cup but that was as good as it got in the cups. We were knocked out early in everything else.

Finance

Probably the most important part of the early part of this challenge, as I need to bulk up my finances in order to improve facilities. I didn't do too well this time around, but with the FA Cup next year, hopefully we can pump some funds into the club and get the ball rolling.

Hopefully this years youth intake will provide a new centre back, and some versatile midfielders. I won't hold my breath.

FM09 - Merthyr 2036/37 Season Update - Championship - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2036/37 - Championship, 2nd, FA Cup Fourth Round, Carling Cup Fourth Round, Automatic Promotion!

After 2 unsucessful Championship playoff campaigns previously, and just missing out on the playoffs (by GD) last season, I was desperate for that little bit extra, whatever that was, to get me into the elusive EPL.

And whilst I still don't really know what that little bit extra was, the team seemed to have found it. For most of the 1st half of the season I was sitting 3rd, never to far from Portsmouth and Liverpool, but never quite able to reel them in.

However, whilst Merthyr maintained their form well into the 2nd half of the season, Portsmouth and Liverpool both dropped off, meaning that the door was open for me to not only be promoted, but take out the Championship after 12 attempts! However, a couple of untimley draws and losses (only 3 losses for the season!) saw Sunderland come up from nowhere, and whilst I was confident of securing automatic promotion (which was secured with 1 game to spare), I had a real battle with Sunderland for the Championship title.

Coming into the last game of the season Sunderland and Merthyr were equal on points, with Sunderland having a +8 GD advantage - I needed them to slip up (as well as to win my game) to win the 3rd trophy of my Merthyr career. Merthyr secured a solid 2-0 win, however Sunderland also managed a 2-1 win, meaning that for the 2nd season in a row I was punished for my GD, however this season I couldn't care, as I had done what many said was impossible, secured promotion to the Premier League, after only 28 seasons!

2037 League Table and Graph

29 year old striker Craig Murphy was voted the Merthyr Fans player of the season for the 2nd time in his career, however given it was such a breakthrough season I'll go into a bit more detail into my best starting XI:

GK: Les Champion - The 25 year old keeper had been in Thompson's shadow in much of his career, however broke into the starting XI last season, and mangaged 52 apps at 6.90. Has managed 12 U21 caps in his career, and has also been called up to the senior squad on several occasions, but yet to get his first cap. Has attracted a lot of interest this season, and appears to have half the EPL interested in him (but of course I'll never sell).

DL: Craig Bennett - At 26 years, this defender has made the 2nd most career apperances of the current batch of players (behind Thompson with 1,000+) at 481. Whilst he has never been a star at Merthyr in his 1 seasons here, he has always been a consistant performer, and this season was no different, 45 apps at 7.04, his best ever average rating

DC: Terry Eaton - This 24 year old player has the made an impact ever since breaking into the side as a teenager, and, amazingly, has averaged over 7.0 per season in his 274 game, 8 season career. Whilst he came through as a DM / M and played his first few seasons there, due to a lack of quality defenders, he was actually retrained to be a DC (due to good jumping, tackling, positioning), and has been the 1st choice central defender in the last couple of seasons. Has also picked up 8 Welsh caps so far, with more to come I'm sure

DC: Kevin Townsend - At 23, he is another player who made his mark on the team early in his career, and like Eaton, can (and has) played as a central defender or midfielder. He actually doesn't have great attributes for a DC, but a lack of other options has meant he has played a lot of his career there. He managed 43 games this season (as well as hist first Welsh cap), but his average of 6.79 was not fantastic... I really need to find another central defender

DR: Anton Adams - This 24 year old right back / winger is one of the stars of the team, and had a great season this year, managing 46 games at 7.18 (including 9 assists), as well as 8 international apperances at 7.2 (bring his international total to 17 so far). Great attirbutes in all the key areas, hopefully he can be a Mertyr star for many years to come!

ML: Ashley Preddie - This 25 year old winger is probably one of the weaker links in the side, but due to him being one of the few left sided midfielders in the squad, he's made the starting lineup, and managed 50 apperances at 6.91.

MC: Paul Culshaw - At 28, he is actually one of the older members of the starting lineup, but showed the younger players how it should be done, managing 42 apps at 7.21, as well as 4 international caps, bring his total for Wales at 9. He also scored 13 goals this season, which made him equal highest goalscorer for the season

MC: Simon Newman - At only 21, the central midfielder is already a crutial piece of my starting XI, and, I would say, one of the best player to ever have come through the youth acadamy - hopefully he can continue to improve. Managed 44 games at 7.21 (and one international), as well as 10 goals, despite playing more of a defendive midfield role. Between him and Culshaw managed 23 goals, great effort for the central midfield pair.

MR: Danny Carroll - At 29 he is now one of the older players in the squad, but he is arguably the most important / best player, and, with Newmand and Culshaw, for a formidable midfield. Now past his peak, but he still has great stats in all the key areas, and has been dominating the right wing for 13 seasons and over 400 games. Only managed 29 games at 7.19 (plus 4 international) this season due to injuries, but is still a key member of the squad. Has managed 28 Welsh caps in total, making him the most capped of all current players. Will be hard to find a replacement for him when his stats start deteriorating

ST: Craig Murphy - At 29 another 'vetran' of the side, Murphy is not the best player in the squad, but, being the only half decent striker we have, managed 50 games at 7.19, 13 goals, 10 assits, and also took home his 2nd Fans Player of the Season - a pretty good return from a good, but unremarkable player

ST: Ian Philliskirk - At 22 he is not really ready for Championship (and next season EPL) standard football yet, but is the next best striker in the squad after Murphy, and hopefully will continue to improve as he gets older. Managed 45 games this season at 6.98, 11 goals and 9 assists - a good result for an up and coming striker, but I'm not sure how he'll do in the premier league next season.

All in all, a solid team effort, with the midfield trio of Newman, Culshaw and Carroll (and Preddie on the left) being the strongest players in the squad. They did very well in the Championship, but it will be interesting to see how they go next season! One promissing fact is that of my starting XI, 6 have now earnt Welsh caps, and the rest (as well as my first choice subs) have earnt U21 caps - whilst earning a Welsh cap might not be a true mesure of skill, it's still a good sign

2037 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

None of the Merthyr U18's got a look in this season, but looking through them 1st year midfielder Mark Fish looks a promising player who should be able to strengthen an already strong midfield in the seasons to come. Interestingly, at 17 he has already earnt his first U21 cap, that has to be a good sign!

Finances wise, it was not a good season - despite again being well under wage budget, and obviously spending nothing on transfers, I lost over $10M, reducing my bank balance to $16M, but I'm sure I'll make up for that next season!

2037 Finances

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 2nd in Championship

Well, that is it, I've done it! (not completed the challenge of winning the EPL / CL, but at least gaining promotion to the EPL, something many thought would be impossible), now I just have to figure out how to stay there next season - although with a fairly young squad, I might just be able to do it

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2036/37 Update - CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

(Record - Chris Thompson: 1,013 apperances in 22 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 38: 1,013 apps in 22 seasons; 1 app this season (on loan with Forrest Green)

Given Thompson's attributes had decreased to the point where he was now Merthyr's last choice GK, I couldn't justify giving him any more games, so offered him out on loan. I received no offers for him so asked my feeder clubs (first time I had ever used them), and he agreed to joind BSP league Forreest Green. Despite them being a non-league team, he was their 3rd choice keeper, however he did manage 1 apperance for them when the 2 other keepers were injured, bringing his career total to 1,013 (1,012 for Merthyr).

I think that was a wake up call for him, and towards the end of the season he announced he would be retiring at the end of next season. He also gained a staff profile, where his preferences are Manager / Assistant Manager, however it appears he is holding out for a Manager role, as he refuses to sign an assistant manager contract with Merthyr - I'd be devistated to see him leave Merthyr (although given his staff stats are pretty average, it might not be a bad thing)

Lets see if he can manage any more games on loan next season to bump up his career tally (I'm going to have to find a lower standard feeder club!)

littlehamptontown1.jpg

Littlehampton Town - English Sussex County League Division One- 2010/11 Season 2

This was a challenging season for me, and I very nearly lost the will to continue the save. I stuck with it though, and just about managed promotion.

Table

Progress

It was very much a season of three parts. The first third was dominated by our cup exploits, making the 3rd Round of the FA Cup was a higlight, but we had replays in most matches, which meant at one point we had 6 games in hand. The second part of the season saw us hit great form and charge up the table, gaining an 11 point lead and a seemingly impregnable hold on the title. The final third of the season saw us bomb, losing a huge amount of games, and drawing the others. Our confidence was shot, and I held little hope of winning the playoff, but we managed it thanks to a 116th minutes winner. Form

Cup Competitions

The cup competitions were a mixed bag, again we underperformed in the FA Vase, a trophy I'd love to win, but the FA Cup run was great. I made £50k in gate receits from the home tie against L1 Blackpool.

Squad

The real area for concern now is central defence. Up front no one at this level is any good, so that's gravy, and especially with the new youth players in midfield, that's the area we're strongest in. The player of the season was Bennett, who played across the back four and whose average rating was remarkable. Mercer, in defensive midfield, was picked as the player most likely to suceed this year, but he hasn't made good on his potential.

Finance

The Blackpool game really boosted me, but there's still a long was to go until we have enough to improve facilities.

Youth Intake

Jewell YP1

Sharp YP2

These two were picked as the stars from this years modest youth intake, and Jewell especially is a welcome addition to the squad, and allows me to revert to a narrow diamond formation which has served me so well in the lower leagues in the past.

[font=Arial]
[/font]Season              League                          Position      Achievements
2009/10         Sussex County League Division 2       1st         Promoted, Sussex CLD2 Challenge Cup
2010/11         Sussex County League Division 1       2nd         Promoted through playoffs, FA Cup 3rd Round

Thanks for all the congratulations guys, I thought it would never happen, and I when I started this challenge I certainly didn't think I'd be going 28 seasons on, but here I am (actually into season 30, have to post some more updates), and I've finally made it to the Premier League. I'm tempted to quit now, as I'm pretty sure it will be literally impossible to win the title / CL to complete the challenge, but I may as well have a go and see what my boys can do!

More updates coming up soon!

FM09 - Merthyr 2037/38 Season Update - Premiership - Marky Mark!

2012/13 - BSP, 18th

2032/33 - Championship, 6th, Carling Cup 4th Round, Lost in Playoff semi-final :(

2036/37 - Championship, 2nd, FA Cup Fourth Round, Carling Cup Fourth Round, Automatic Promotion!

2037/38 - Premiership, 18th, Caring Cup Fourth Round, Relegation

Well, after a breakthrough season last season, I was just hoping for the best this season, but, defying the odds, got off to a great start, beating Chelsea twice in the space of two weeks (league and Carling Cup), and after 9 games I was sitting in 2nd place, this was incredible! However, I knew it couldn't last, and it didn't.

A couple of injuries to key players exposed my complete lack of depth, and I soon found wins very hard to come by, although it wasn't until 24 games had passed that I entered the relegation zone. That seemed to spur my players on, and the team's form improved slightly, and I briefly escpaed the relegation zone, but it didn't last long, and on the 2nd last game of the season my fate was confirmed, relgation back to the Championship. I ended up with 39 points (9-12-17), 4 points from 17th placed Tottenham and saftey. Oh well, if I earn't promotion to the Premiership once, surely I can do it again right?

2038 League Table and Graph

There were no standout players for the Fan's Player of the Season, with no players averaging over 7 for the season, however vetran 30 year old winger Danny Carroll took out the award, for the 5th time in his career. Injuries meant he could only manage 29 appearances (plus 5 international), but he managed those at 7.0, which, for a team that struggled was a fair achievement.

None of the U18s were good enough to break into the senior side, but one that caught my attention was 2nd year midfielder Mark Fish. At 18, he certainly appears to have talent (averaging 7.26 in the reserves), but unfortunatly the midfield is the strongest part of the Merthyr squad, so it might be a year or two before he can break into it.

2038 Seasonal Best XI (forgot to grab the overall Best XI)

One positive from the season was the finances, where I made a whopping $35M profit, to bring the balance to $52M, and catapulting the club into the top 50 Richest Clubs in the world.

2038 Finances

Interestingly, after gaining promotion last season, I received a message from the board saying the stadium was going to be expanded from 10,000 to 15,000 (despite previously saying it was impossible to get council permission, etc). So, for 6 months, the capacity was reduced to 8,000 during contruction, then... back to 10,000! After the end of this season I have again been told it would be expanded to 15,000, and the capacity has again been reduced to 8,000 during construction, so we'll see what happens.

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 18th in Premiership 2037/38

Most Games without Scoring: 6 - 9.1.2038 to 3.2.2038

Oh well, I guess relegation at the first attempt was always the most likely outcome, but hopefully, as was the case in my first season in the Championship, I can bouce straight back!

FM09 GYAC - Merthyr 1,000 Apperances Challenge - 2037/38 Update - CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

(Record - Chris Thompson: 1,013 apperances in 23 seasons)

Chris Thompson, GK, 39: 1,013 apps (at approx 6.80) in 23 seasons; 0 apps this season (on loan with Forrest Green)

Chris Thompson staff profile

Chris Thompson at his prime - 29 years of age

Well, this season was nothing to be proud of, despite Merthyr being in the Premiership, Thompson was stuck in League Two with Forrest Great as the Forrest Green Reserves backup keeper. I actually planned to bring him back for the last game of the season (after relegation had been confirmed) to give him one game at the top level, but he got injured, so missed out. Still, 1,013 games in a career is not a bad achievement!

He has decided to stay in the game, unfortunatly he has his heart set on managing a club, and will refuse to accept any other contract at Merthyr other than my role (which I'm clearly not ready to give up just yet), so whilst he'll stay on in the game, it won't be at Merthyr.

So, that is it for Thompson, after 23 seasons and an amazing 1,013 games, he has left the club at the young age of 39.

Through his career he managed the following achievements:

3 x Team Two Team of the Week (over 5 seasons)

5 x League One Team of the Week (over 5 seasons)

10 x Championship Team of the Week (over 11 seasons)

1 x BSP Team of the Week (over 1 seasons on loan)

1 x League Two Players Select

1 x League One Players Select

He was also part of the Merthyr sides that were League Two champions in 2019 and won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2022.

Ok, not a stella career but he was a crutial part of the side for most of his 23 season career, and also managed 2 goals from corners when thrown forward in desperation - not bad!

And that is it, my last 1,000 Apperance Challenge update (unless another player looks to come close to the mark, which is very unlikely!)

Archived