Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I know it's probably a long shot but what does anyone think of having an off-topic thread in here?

I've always been against it, since there is an off topic forum already, but having a look around it seems a few of the other sub forums already have them:

(ignoring the GD and the data/bugs forums)

Editors - no

Graphics - no

Tactics - yes

LLM - yes

GPTG - no (although they had it removed)

FM Online - yes

FM Stories - yes

Challenges - no </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My only question (whilst understanding the concept) is what will be discussed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just anything really. What everyone is doing, real life football, other news, etc. It would just be a bit of banter among the challenge community.

No idea really, but if people think it could help to create more of a community in this forum I would consider it.

That's why I suggested it. I've been thinking about it and although it may not seem necessary I think it's just what this forum needs, only my opinion though.

I remember when I was a new user on here and when I first discovered the off topic forum; I was a bit overwhelmed by it and I still feel that a lot of new users still are. I'm settled in there now but for some users that only use this challenge forum out of the whole forums it may be something alternative to get them settled in and introduce themselves to the challenge community and get to know people better. icon14.gif

Just another idea, do you think that the Records Thread belongs in here?

Yes, although it should still stay in GQ in my opinion just like kipfizh's thread did. icon14.gif

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An Off-topic forum in here would mean less off-topic banter in sign-up/challenge threads. Not me to judge whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. Might be worth starting one up for a trial of say, a month, and see how it affects the forum.

Also, I think the Records thread should be "mirrored" over here, such as Kipfizh's thread, so it is in GQ and this forum. (As James said)

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might be worth starting one up for a trial of say, a month, and see how it affects the forum.

Possibly a good idea. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll try it out, I'll put one up on a trial basis in the next few days.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might be worth starting one up for a trial of say, a month, and see how it affects the forum.

Possibly a good idea. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll try it out, I'll put one up on a trial basis in the next few days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

Originally posted by problemchild:

well another idea for the off topic forum could be people sharing ideas for potential new signups

so often i see there are nto enough well thought out ssignups and if each idea can get individual attention and criticism, we might see some more interesting ones

There is an ideas thread for that. icon14.gif

Originally posted by problemchild:

which is supposed to be this thread lol

but instead we're putting forward ideas on how to up activity on this part of the forum

Looks like the two threads are being mixed up a bit, I think I'm just as guilty as anyone else of it. I'll change the title of the other one to avoid confusion.

Just to reiterate, this thread is for ideas for new challenges, sign ups and holiday games, the other thread is for general forum discussion.

Had an idea today. What about the 'FM fantasy football league'. Just like your normal fantasy football league but based on a single season of FM premiership football, taking the values of players at the start of a new game (Not sure if they differ from game to game?). Would probably be a lot of work but could be fun.

Not something I could take on myself but maybe one of you hardcore FMers could do??

Just an idea, probably not feasable but worth a mention.

Originally posted by Jonzii:

Had an idea today. What about the 'FM fantasy football league'. Just like your normal fantasy football league but based on a single season of FM premiership football, taking the values of players at the start of a new game (Not sure if they differ from game to game?). Would probably be a lot of work but could be fun.

Not something I could take on myself but maybe one of you hardcore FMers could do??

That my friend is an excellent idea. icon14.gif

If I understand correctly, each player in the selected league (probably the english premiership) would be given a value, then each user would pick a team to a budget. The person running the game would then play each gameweek and allocate the points accordingly (similarly to the Official Premiership Fantasy Game). It could be a lot of fun.

I'd be willing to run this if there is enough interest? I'd probably have to limit it to about 25 users at most though if there were interest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonzii:

That my friend is an excellent idea. icon14.gif

If I understand correctly, each player in the selected league (probably the english premiership) would be given a value, then each user would pick a team to a budget. The person running the game would then play each gameweek and allocate the points accordingly (similarly to the Official Premiership Fantasy Game). It could be a lot of fun.

I'd possibly be willing to run this if there is enough interest? I'd probably have to limit it to about 25 users at most though if there were interest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to add.

I've decided that I will run this. I've seen that someone else has gone off and made their own version but I intend mine to be different to this. icon14.gif

It will be run in a similar way to the official fantasy premier league with a few minor adjustments as this won't be such a large scale and there are a few things I don't like on that anyway. Also, it will involve no editing at all. I'd expect the thread to be up sometime tonight.

Thanks. icon14.gif

I've decided that I will run this. I've seen that someone else has gone off and made their own version but I intend mine to be different to this. icon14.gif

It will be run in a similar way to the official fantasy premier league with a few minor adjustments as this won't be such a large scale and there are a few things I don't like on that anyway. Also, it will involve no editing at all. I'd expect the thread to be up sometime tonight.

Thanks. icon14.gif

Birdy's already doing thats very similair to this. Maybe you should do it for a different country?

Originally posted by ridleys:

Thanks. icon14.gif

Birdy's already doing thats very similair to this. Maybe you should do it for a different country? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the same. THere is no editing. You just pick players like a fantasy football team and aaberdeenn just plays a season and the winner is the player who gets the most points.

Originally posted by ridleys:

Thanks. icon14.gif

Birdy's already doing thats very similair to this. Maybe you should do it for a different country? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this idea is different, and something that hasn't been done before. This can be run just like fantasy football, where people select their team and then gain points for those players as they play for their normal teams. You could have as many people playing as you want and the game is very simple to run, all you need to do is simulate a Premier League Season. The points system will take quite a bit of work though.

I like this idea icon14.gif

Originally posted by Robert_296:

I like the idea. Too bad aaberdeenn managed to say he will do it before i read it icon_frown.gif

I'm not desperate to do it. It was just something I quite liked the idea of and thought would be interesting to run. If you really want to do it then you're welcome to. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

I like the idea. Too bad aaberdeenn managed to say he will do it before i read it icon_frown.gif

I'm not desperate to do it. It was just something I quite liked the idea of and thought would be interesting to run. If you REALLY want to do it then you're welcome to. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

I'm not desperate to do it. It was just something I quite liked the idea of and thought would be interesting to run. If you REALLY want to do it then you're welcome to. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can do it if you want i'm not desperate

Ok, a few ideas to get things started:

Decide which database to use, 8.0.2 updated is the obvious choice.

Decide on a points system, Premier League System is an option.

Decide transfer system, how often and when should people be allowed to change their players?

How many players to choose, team of 11 or squad of 16? Do you allow things like subs and captains, like the Premier League website?

Compile a list of players with FM values, this is going to take some time. I suggest natural position is used so players can only appear in one position.

Decide how to keep track of the scoring, manually or using a spreadsheet?

Then you could think about the sign up thread.

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

Liking the idea of a fantasy football competition. icon14.gif

I think if you did a simple scoring system like the BBC used to / Channel 4 do now, then that would be easier.

ie:

Goal = 3pt

Appearance = 1pt

Clean Sheet for defenders / goalies = 3pts

Something for yellow / red cards maybe

icon_smile.gif

Yeah, thats the kind of thing I was talking about. Like they do in the newspapers every year. I think the number of entrants would have to be limited to make it possible.

Unless aaberdeenn keeps the save it will have to be 8.0.1 because my fmo clan has decided not to use the new patch. I think we should do that points system but maybe with bonus points have 3 points for a 10, 2 points for a 9 and 1 point for an 8? I think we should have a set number of transfers for the season and if they do any extra transfers they get deducted 4 points. I think a squad of 15 so 2 GK's, 5 DF's, 5 MF's and 3 ST's with subs and captains.

Originally posted by birdy123:

Team of 11, with a captain that gets double points, imo.

I'm here to help, mate, don't hesitate to ask.

I think at least 4 subs so you still have a chance of getting points. Thanks for the help. I think we should do updates every month and then people have to say whether they are doing transfers or not before we continue.

The idea of having subs and selecting your first 11 depending on the upcoming fixtures could have worked well, although I just don't think we have time for that now.

Perhaps an idea for FM09 could be a full on interactive fantasy football game almost played in real time.

Originally posted by dafuge:

The idea of having subs and selecting your first 11 depending on the upcoming fixtures could have worked well, although I just don't think we have time for that now.

Perhaps an idea for FM09 could be a full on interactive fantasy football game almost played in real time.

That would be good but I think we should still do a monthly update then everyone says if they are doing team changes and then when everybody is done we can continue.

Originally posted by Robert_296:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

That would be good but I think we should still do a monthly update then everyone says if they are doing team changes and then when everybody is done we can continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean having monthly 'transfer windows' on top of the weekly updates?

I think the whole "fantasy football" idea is brilliant.

My thoughts on it are that as already said it's going to take a lot of work and so the scoring system needs to be simple I think

Goal = 3pt

Appearance = 1pt

Or something similar is fine.

Also I think you should limit it to a squad of 11 and just have transfer windows at the start of September and February, that allows players to make changes based on transfers actually made within the game and allows people to change injured players or players who aren't playing. Limiting it to 2 windows it will be easier to keep track of who has what players and will mean you won't have to wait on people posting at the end of every month or week to make their transfers or squad selections. If people get injuries within their team that's just bad luck, they'll have to live with it.

Whatever you do though I hope it works out well because as I said it's a great idea. ( I hope all of that made sense, it did in my head icon_smile.gif )

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

My thoughts on it are that as already said it's going to take a lot of work and so the scoring system needs to be simple I think

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Goal = 3pt

Appearance = 1pt

Also I think you should limit it to a squad of 11 and just have transfer windows at the start of September and February, that allows players to make changes based on transfers actually made within the game and allows people to change injured players or players who aren't playing. Limiting it to 2 windows it will be easier to keep track of who has what players and will mean you won't have to wait on people posting at the end of every month or week to make their transfers or squad selections. If people get injuries within their team that's just bad luck, they'll have to live with it.

Whatever you do though I hope it works out well because as I said it's a great idea. ( I hope all of that made sense, it did in my head icon_smile.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure to take some of your suggestions on board but the full details will be in the initial thread for the signing up and team picking phase. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whoopy D:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Goal = 3pt

Appearance = 1pt

Whatever you do though I hope it works out well because as I said it's a great idea. ( I hope all of that made sense, it did in my head icon_smile.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure to take some of your suggestions on board but the full details will be in the initial thread for the signing up and team picking phase. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you just doing it on your own then?

Just a thought but if there are weekly updates would it also be possible to arrange a time once a week or fortnight to have the game set up as a server then the people involved could come on at this time have a little nose round the stats of all the players and make their transfers accordingly?

Some bad news unfortunately.

I've spent the last four or so hours working on trying to get this game going and I've barely done anything other than get together the player values. I knew that it would require a lot of hard work but I was unaware that the way I wanted to do it would require so much work and so much time. I know I could do it a simpler way but I like to do things the way I want and at the moment I don't have the time to spend hours every day doing this doing it in this way.

Due to this I can't commit to so much time and leave it open for anyone else to take up and try to work, good luck. icon14.gif

I noticed there are now 'small club to big club' challenges for England, small European nations, South America and Scotland - would there be anyone interested in doing a similar challenge for the big European nations i.e. Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal and Holland? (which would only go ahead with permission from dafuge/gundo of course icon_wink.gif)

Some bad news unfortunately.

I've spent the last four or so hours working on trying to get this game going and I've barely done anything other than get together the player values. I knew that it would require a lot of hard work but I was unaware that the way I wanted to do it would require so much work and so much time. I know I could do it a simpler way but I like to do things the way I want and at the moment I don't have the time to spend hours every day doing this doing it in this way.

Due to this I can't commit to so much time and leave it open for anyone else to take up and try to work, good luck. icon14.gif

I'm still here if you need help.

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I noticed there are now 'small club to big club' challenges for England, small European nations, South America and Scotland - would there be anyone interested in doing a similar challenge for the big European nations i.e. Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal and Holland? (which would only go ahead with permission from dafuge/gundo of course icon_wink.gif)

dafuge has already said elsewhere that this would be a good idea so I'm sure if it were made there would be a market for it.