Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Has the monthly 1 season challenge idea fallen by the wayside or are we waiting till Jan nowicon_confused.gif?

Just had an idea for a possible December challenge.

Edit the database so that FC Santa Claus of Finland are in the Finnish First Division and see how everyone does with them.

You could make them semi-pro (rather than amateur) and raise their reputation to be closer to smaller First Division clubs, as they only start with 3 players.

Any ideas to expand on that?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I've been getting into the challenges and sign-ups with FM '08 and I had an idea but I'm not sure how popular it would be so I thought I'd sound some people out here first.

The challenge would be run as a sign up and could be called the 'Average Joe' challenge. The basic premise is as follows: create a player with a starting CA of 80-100 and a PA of 140-150 and see how successful a career he can have. Will he never get beyond the Championship? Will he be a mere squad player in the Premier League? Will he make the national team? If so, as a one-off or as a regular?

I came up with the idea because so many sign-ups seem to revolve around putting players with super PAs in low leagues and following their rise so I was interested in what might make one average player more successful than another. Another factor was some of the real players who have turned out for England recently. Obviously, Rooney, Terry, Gerrard and co are superstars in the game but some of the squad players have much lower CA/PAs (for example Lescott, Barry, Defoe,...). Then there are players like Dunn, Konchensky, Luke Young, Matt Upson who have picked up a handful of caps but then disappeared from the international scene. What makes FM choose certain players for the national team or for AI transfers to bigger clubs?

There would be many variables to consider such as which club to start at. Would a player starting at a big Premiership team benefit from the world class youth/training set-up or remain overshadowed by superstars? Would a player starting low down grab attention more quickly by dominating their division or would they suffer from poor facilities and lack of oppurtunities?

There would be other variables such as attributes like adaptability, determination, ambition, loyalty etc. Maybe the best approach would be to create a few players for each position, allow thse who sign up to pick a high mental attribute like those listed above and start one at a leading Premier League team, one in the Championship/League 1 and one in the Blue Square/ League 2 then see how their career's compare.

The only doubts I have about it concern whether or not people would be willing to create an 'average' player or not... What do you think? Any further suggestions about variables, how to run it or using a different CA/PA (is 140-150 too high/low?) are welcome.

This would be interesting although I think many people would get bored if it was only average players.

I think that a player at a premiership club would get good training before being signed proberlys on a free by a lower rep premierhip team or the equivlent in a foreign league.

On the matter of lower league players they would take less time to be noticed as they would exceed their teammates CA faster than the Premiership players would.

I would be interested in creating an "average" player to see what would happen.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

This would be interesting although I think many people would get bored if it was only average players.

This was my main concern. It may be better just to create it as a holiday game/AI experiment and give regular write-ups to see how the players fare and what affects their fortunes. (If I ever go ahead, you could still submit a player though icon14.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This would be interesting although I think many people would get bored if it was only average players.

This was my main concern. It may be better just to create it as a holiday game/AI experiment and give regular write-ups to see how the players fare and what affects their fortunes. (If I ever go ahead, you could still submit a player though icon14.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool this would be interesting so can you keep me informed if your going to do this

I've been getting into the challenges and sign-ups with FM '08 and I had an idea but I'm not sure how popular it would be so I thought I'd sound some people out here first.

The challenge would be run as a sign up and could be called the 'Average Joe' challenge. The basic premise is as follows: create a player with a starting CA of 80-100 and a PA of 140-150 and see how successful a career he can have. Will he never get beyond the Championship? Will he be a mere squad player in the Premier League? Will he make the national team? If so, as a one-off or as a regular?

I came up with the idea because so many sign-ups seem to revolve around putting players with super PAs in low leagues and following their rise so I was interested in what might make one average player more successful than another. Another factor was some of the real players who have turned out for England recently. Obviously, Rooney, Terry, Gerrard and co are superstars in the game but some of the squad players have much lower CA/PAs (for example Lescott, Barry, Defoe,...). Then there are players like Dunn, Konchensky, Luke Young, Matt Upson who have picked up a handful of caps but then disappeared from the international scene. What makes FM choose certain players for the national team or for AI transfers to bigger clubs?

There would be many variables to consider such as which club to start at. Would a player starting at a big Premiership team benefit from the world class youth/training set-up or remain overshadowed by superstars? Would a player starting low down grab attention more quickly by dominating their division or would they suffer from poor facilities and lack of oppurtunities?

There would be other variables such as attributes like adaptability, determination, ambition, loyalty etc. Maybe the best approach would be to create a few players for each position, allow thse who sign up to pick a high mental attribute like those listed above and start one at a leading Premier League team, one in the Championship/League 1 and one in the Blue Square/ League 2 then see how their career's compare.

The only doubts I have about it concern whether or not people would be willing to create an 'average' player or not... What do you think? Any further suggestions about variables, how to run it or using a different CA/PA (is 140-150 too high/low?) are welcome.

I think this would be a good idea for a sign up actually, you could even have a points system for games / goals played, say:

x1 for BSN/BSB games / goals

x2 for BSP games / goals

x3 for League 2 games / goals

x4 for League 1 games / goals

x5 for Championship games / goals

x10 for Premiership games / goals

x?? for Internationals games / goals

This was players would have to decide whether to start in the Prem and hope to get some games or transfered to a club, or to start in the lower leagues where they are sure to start most games.

If you were to start something like this I would definatly be interested!

Best League in the World? AI Experiment

The aim of this challenge would be to see what country has the best league, simple as that.

The way this would be done, is by making each player playing in a certain country, its nationality i.e. All Premiership players English, all Serie A players Italian, all La Liga players Spanish etc.

I would then follow the nations, and see how they get on with their new squads. The country that does the best would obviously have the best players playing in it currently, and therefore would be the best league.

Originally posted by matty_8:

Best League in the World? AI Experiment

The aim of this challenge would be to see what country has the best league, simple as that.

The way this would be done, is by making each player playing in a certain country, its nationality i.e. All Premiership players English, all Serie A players Italian, all La Liga players Spanish etc.

I would then follow the nations, and see how they get on with their new squads. The country that does the best would obviously have the best players playing in it currently, and therefore would be the best league.

Good idea in theory. icon14.gif

The only problem you will have is that it won't be long before players transfer to clubs in other country's, especially players from outside the top 3 or 4 countries (ie: Dutch, French, Irish players moving to Spain, England etc.)

Run on a short term basis though (say 3 seasons), it might produce some interesting results.

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

obviously there are a lot of sign ups that are striker orientated, i was just wondering if anyone had tried a goalkeeper based sign up and how it did or if anybody would be interested in one?

I would be interested in this you should do it if possible.

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

obviously there are a lot of sign ups that are striker orientated, i was just wondering if anyone had tried a goalkeeper based sign up and how it did or if anybody would be interested in one?

i would be interested.

What sort of south American challenges are there around, I don't want to steal someones idea.

What I'm thinking is holiday for a year and take a newly promoted team in any south American league and win copa liberatores and then get a job in a different south American league and win it again until you have won it with a team from each country.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to be making a follow your progress until after new year as i'm going away icon_frown.gif

The basic idea was going to be 10 players(because sign-ups with 20 take ages!) in the lowest brazilian league. The nationalities have to be south american and all players will be 17/18. I would run leagues of brazil, argentina, italy, spain and england. It's mainly just a follow your progress through your career game but i would also like to see if we could get some new Ronaldinhos and Kakas. icon_biggrin.gif

All other info i will put in the thread! icon14.gif

Has the monthly 1 season challenge idea fallen by the wayside or are we waiting till Jan nowicon_confused.gif?

Completely forgot about that after saying I'd start it in December, I've been really getting into my game recently and haven't thought about starting anything new.

Perhaps January could be a good time to start it.

Just an idea, I might make a sign up where a player has 40 CA and 120 PA and he starts at a newly promoted team from one of the top 3 european leagues (English, Italian, Spanish). I'll edit it so that he is on the clubs favoured personel and the club is his favourite club.

The aim is to see how long he stays at the club and how good a career he can make for himself!!

What do you think?

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Cool, so are we going to pick a different person to issue the challenge each month or is it gonna be you (dafuge) each month.

Also, is it gonna start on the 1st of January?

It might be nice if different people set the challenges, perhaps something like the winner of the last challenge sets the next one?

I was just wondering what people might think of this idea

I've always been fascinated by the way that the chairmen act with managers in FM, they always seem very ready to throw away their old managers and replace them with the usual suspects, Javier Aguirre and so on, like in my dafuge game where Man Utd decided not to offer Ferguson a new contract.

I was thinking of basically testing relationships between chairmen and managers, and how that leads onto success.

For example, if every team in a league was equal, same quality players, same financial situation, same reputation, how do the skills of the manager affect the players, and how do his tactical preferences affect the style of the team.

I'm not sure how much longevity it would have, but it might be interesting for a season or two, depending on how much I could isolate the teams.

Do you reckon anyone would be interested?

It would be quite good if the winner got to select the following challenge, but maybe from a shortlist rather than giving them free reign.

Perhaps. Or just make them have to run their idea by a couple of users in this forum to see if it is a good idea or not; if it will work; etc?

It would be quite good if the winner got to select the following challenge, but maybe from a shortlist rather than giving them free reign.

Definitely best to come up with a few ideas between everyone, to make interesting challenges that appeal to enough users to make it worthwhile.

Maybe dafuge and a couple of others could compile a "shortlist" of 1 season challenge ideas and the winner could pick from them.

That could be a good idea, perhaps the shortlist could have a theme, like South American or teams with numbers in their name.

I have a challenge idea i just want to swing by you guys, to get some feedback;

The idea is "Return of the vikings"

Where you have to travel(more or less) the viking voyages/expansions of the vikings in the period of 700-1000.

The idea is to start of in the danish or norway divisions as unemployed, win both the danish and the norwegian leagues, then to move on to win the russian league, then the english league, the french, and at the end the USA league..

What do you guys think ?

Before I start a monthly challenge for January, is anyone fussed about any particular rules?

I was planning on just using the rules from my own challenge, with a limited setup, automatic manager reputation and only able to sign players who you can get a scout/coach report for.

I think the rules that you have used in your own thread are good and should be used for these challenges.

I also think though that you need to introduce a rule about generating frendlies in order to build finances.

Excellent idea.

Since it is only a one season challenge, the friendlies for the team should already be set up, so there shouldn't be any need to add any more.

I've got to admit, I sign far too mnay players and as a result I play the Reserves against the U18's twice a week if I'm in a league without any Reserve or U18's fixtures.

I haven't got a problem with people arranging frendlies against similar sized Reserve/Youth teams in any case, just as long as it's realistic.

Since we'll all be managing the same team, it will be really obvious if anyone is cheating. The transfers and finance pages can be amongst the required screenshots. I'll mention the friendlies exploits in the rules and what is expected.

I imagine I'll get it up for tomorrow.

Ok, guys, i'm looking for a little advice. I've been running a little experiment with regards to created players moving into management.

I've basically created a player who will most likely become a world class central defender at liverpool. he starts the game at 14 years old, has good stats and PA of -10. He also has high loyalty, favourite club as liverpool and Stevie G and Carra as favoured personnel. Finally, he starts with a 20 in 'prefered staff role - manager', which essentially means he starts the game at 14 with 'definitely looking to go into management when his playing career is over'...

So, i've run this experiment 5 times so far, with varying results regarding his playing career. One thing however remains the same in every game. He never goes into management. Each time he vanishes from the game when he retires, usually around 35-38 years old...

Any advice?

Hello again

I think i might as well start my sign-up tonight as long as its not clogging up the forums. There are quite a few threads atm so i'm not sure whether to get it going or wait for a few others to diedown first.

Anyway, i was thinking that it would still be a follow your progress sign up but, so not everyone is a striker, i would have 11 spots.

A GK, a LB, a RB,two CBs etc...

The Idea

It isn't mine and I take no credit. On the classic Football Manager 2005 the challenge was to holiday until the World Cup. Then do your best with players that have never been capped.

It's a loose idea and you can alter it all you want.

What do you think?

P.S. I did it in that game. I was rather proud. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by minisav:

The Idea

It isn't mine and I take no credit. On the classic Football Manager 2005 the challenge was to holiday until the World Cup. Then do your best with players that have never been capped with Brazil.

It's a loose idea and you can alter it all you want.

What do you think?

P.S. I did it in that game. I was rather proud. icon_biggrin.gif