Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

It would involve a Forumer to take control of a MLS club of their choice. They would then have to win at least one title but they are free to win as many as they want. After winning the title they would then take their American manager across the ocean to Europe where they will attempt to win as many titles as possible in a European league. To then expand it a little they would have to take control of the USA national side and lead them to World Cup glory (or as close as possible).

I'm a fan of the MLS as well but through FM. I had a good couple of seasons at Dallas. I'm looking forward to the improvements made to it in FM09 as well which is why I wanted a challenge to help me stay interested.

Oh, I completed that already.:D TFC (two titles, won Superliga, club world championship third place twice) -> Plymouth (promotion to premier league, only stayed there for a season) -> PSV (joined in July 2011, and maintained their club domestic title winning streak to 2014 before computer couldn't take it with all the leagues...)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an interesting holiday game going where I loaded up the top 12 leagues in Europe with a no players database, and all league reputations set the same, to see which leagues and teams will dominate Europe. Tried it with loading 5 European leagues and the Turkish teams dominated football.:)

Great idea rancer.

Jsut out of curiosity but what leagues does that invlove?

England, Spain, Germany, France, Scotland, Holland, Portugal makes 7. Dunno about the rest though

The 12 leagues in seanefc's challenge.:) (England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine)

I won't post it on CSE because I'm keeping this low profile :p, but if enough people want this I might post monthly updates on a new thread.:)

I'm testing this to prepare for FM09 A New World Challenge/Signup/Experiment. :D

I have a new idea for an AI Experiment for which I have already carried out a mini trial (4 seasons). Basically the idea is to combined the previously used 'no player' database with Kipfizh-esque style analysis of the FM world:

AI Experiment - A Whole New World

Using a 'no player' database I will load the top league from every playable country in the FM database. I will then analyse the FM World at seasonal intervals, discussing the main themes such as:

1. How is the distribution of new superstars in the FM world?

2. Are there any great players from lesser nations?

3. Do the better regens predominantly come from the better footballing nations?

4. It's well known that greyed out countries / clubs dominate the scene in the early years in a no player database - but how long does it take for the traditional big sides to come back to the fore?

5. I will also be picking out a couple of players from each set of regens produced each year and will follow their progress - will they fulfill their potential or not?

• 2 weeks later...

As there haven't been many ideas posted in here of late... people posting sign up / challenges directly, I thought I would raise the profile of this thread again with FM2009 just round the corner and start a mini discussion:

1. Are you going to be running a new sign up / challenge for FM2009?

2. What type of sign up / challenge will you be running?

3. Are you going to be posting your thread as soon as the game is released or wait until a patch has been released?

Hopefully the bounding of ideas off against each other with help maintain the quality of the sign up / challenges despite the upcoming release and the usual raft of threads and reduce the number lower quality threads. :):thup:

1. Are you going to be running a new sign up / challenge for FM2009? - I will continue season 1 of The Mole, and if it proves successful I will definitely look into making a second. Also looking to start a new X Factor sign up, something I didn't get to do this time around.

2. What type of sign up / challenge will you be running? - Pretty much summed up in the above question

3. Are you going to be posting your thread as soon as the game is released or wait until a patch has been released? - I will wait until a couple of weeks until after the first mole to do the second if I do it, then once that is finished will be taking a nice rest before I start the x factor sign up :)

I'm going to be doing a new sign up for FM 09 as my predictions one is nearly finished. I don't think I will do an original sign up but I'm hoping to do one that didn't quite get off the ground on FM 08 and I was really looking forward to it, that is of course if the person who did do the sign up in the first place deosn't want ot attempt it again. And I'll probably start it after the patch :)

I'll run the same challenge again, probably on release day (or whenever I get hold of the game).

I'm actually really looking forward to starting it this year, for some reason I didn't really get as involved in it with FM08.

is that anything to do with since we've been on the new forums the mods don't have to do as much? iirc Serpico mentioned that in an OTF thread today.

Will also take part and inevitably fail miserably in your challenge again this year :D

Guest roberto922

Well I'm doing CSE World Cup with 32 players, I'm hoping to get some of the regulars in this time (rancer again, you, Dafuge maybe, Ridleys etc.) and it's gonna be all knockout and it will be put out around a week after the release so that more people own FM 09. I'm sure I'll do a couple of experiments and challenges but I haven't thought of anything yet.

is that anything to do with since we've been on the new forums the mods don't have to do as much? iirc Serpico mentioned that in an OTF thread today.

No, not at all.

There were just a few bugs that meant I had to start again a few times on my challenge, by the time I completed it I just wanted to do something new (Gundo's).

I'm really hoping I get a really long term game based in England like my FM06 one.

Guest roberto922

Daf - I've noticed you haven't really posted much whilst I've been on there, I'm looking forward to your challenge on FM 09 too because atm people are only getting 2 comments at the most for their season reviews as opposed to just going back to when I started and you got at least 5, I guess it's all part of the new game wind down :(

Well I'm doing CSE World Cup with 32 players, I'm hoping to get some of the regulars in this time (rancer again, you, Dafuge maybe, Ridleys etc.) and it's gonna be all knockout and it will be put out around a week after the release so that more people own FM 09. I'm sure I'll do a couple of experiments and challenges but I haven't thought of anything yet.

What sort of format would that be, online or like this Euro 2008...OOTP Style! ?

Guest roberto922

I'd say they were styled more like your 20/20 challenges tbh as that was the first challenge I ever took part in back in the day....

I'll be running a Wallace v Roberts again. Not sure when it will start as it might take me a while to get hold of the game, as I'm not convinced about using this Steam thingy. May wait and see if there's any issues as well, as to whether i's best to wait for a patch or not.

Btw, it hardly needs any wholesale changes but if anyone has any ideas they'd like to see implemented, let me know.

I'll be running a Wallace v Roberts again. Not sure when it will start as it might take me a while to get hold of the game, as I'm not convinced about using this Steam thingy. May wait and see if there's any issues as well, as to whether i's best to wait for a patch or not.

Btw, it hardly needs any wholesale changes but if anyone has any ideas they'd like to see implemented, let me know.

One idea I had was you could have a set number of teams, with a set number of players? say 5/6/7?

As much as I enjoy the banter, it can distance you a bit when people are posting things about how the team is doing in the Champions League when your last go was managing them in League 2 :D

One idea I had was you could have a set number of teams, with a set number of players? say 5/6/7?

As much as I enjoy the banter, it can distance you a bit when people are posting things about how the team is doing in the Champions League when your last go was managing them in League 2 :D

but the whole idea was to do North vs South was it not?

As there haven't been many ideas posted in here of late... people posting sign up / challenges directly' date=' I thought I would raise the profile of this thread again with FM2009 just round the corner and start a mini discussion:

[i']Yes. Two sign-ups and one challenge[/i]

I'll be repeating 'The Apprentice: Football Manager Edition' and I'm hoping to get my 'Race for the Whitehouse' sign-up launched. As for the challenge, well, that's a secret. ;)

3. Are you going to be posting your thread as soon as the game is released or wait until a patch has been released?

Pretty much in the first week after release. Of course it will take time to set the things up, something which I only intend on doing once I get the game. The Race for the Whitehouse will probably come first, with the challenge some time after that, and then eventually the next Apprentice.

Hopefully the bounding of ideas off against each other with help maintain the quality of the sign up / challenges despite the upcoming release and the usual raft of threads and reduce the number lower quality threads. :):thup:

canvey!!..

As it would be rude not to contribute myself to the dicussion ;)

Well I will be continuing with my current sign up & AI Experiment for the time being when FM09 is released, but I'm sure I will release a new sign up for FM09

Oooh, that would be telling... well I've had this idea for a couple of months now and I couldn't believe it when I saw a TV show basically on the same premise as my idea the other day!! It will involve probably 8 regulars, acting as team captains, along with plenty of other people from the forums. Its still only a rough idea but lets just say its the equivalent of what artists release at the end of their careers.

Oh and I'll put good money on it now having the best thread title (or most ridiculous) for the whole of FM09! ;):D

Due to my existing sign up, I would guess that it might not kick off until after the February patch update... but you never know!

. Are you going to be running a new sign up / challenge for FM2009?

I have a potentially epic attribute based Ai experiment. I'd also think about doing a sign up, althought I want a good idea first.

I've started to think of an idea, and if nobody else has thought of it, I'll bring it out. It's Tv themed.

For the Ai experiment, probably Christmas, for the sign up, probably before then.

If I can come up with an Idea I will run one.

Not sure yet. I'm thinking of a manager one. I may also do a challenge which involves moving around countries.

Don't know yet depends when I come up with an idea.

I'd join the World cup one as well.

Forgot to add to my post: for FM09 I'm going to be concentrating on the stories. By this time next year I fully expect to have two stories going, if not three.

Feels only marginally different being a Semi-Pro and no longer a Part-Timer. To be honest being Amateur is the worst: a lot of people assume you don't know much. And when I was an Amateur I didn't know much.

How will you decide on the team captains?

They will most likely be personal selections who I believe and know will be a regular on the forum, as well as who has taken part in my previous sign ups.

A couple of weeks before I start the sign up I'll PM them to ask if they want to take part. If they do great, if not I'll ask someone else. Won't be for months yet so who knows who will / won't be a regular in that time. :)

Are you going to be running a new sign up / challenge for FM2009?

No new one as I will be repeating my Champions League sign-up as the current version will not be as good as at the most i will finish the season which will defeat the point of having reloads. I will hopefully tweak the idea a bit so that it is better for 09. I will probably not start this until around February time as i want to play the game normally first

Guest mikeytwigge

Yes its a bit of challenge/sign up atthe same time

Not telling you the exact thing yet but its something to do with tactics...

will wait a few weeks till the new game rush is iver because at that time they'll probably be many people on this forum who wont come back

That last point's a good one actually. I may wait a bit before posting the Whitehouse sign-up. Perhaps I'll start the challenge first....hmmm....the possibilities.

Anyway, here's my order of play (roughly):

Start dafuge's challenge game with Canvey Island

Start Story #1

Post Challenge

Start Challenge

Start Whitehouse sign-up

Start posting Story #1

Finish dafuge's challenge

Start Story #2

Finish own challenge

Start Apprentice sign-up

Finish Whitehouse sign-up