Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Right, this isnt an idea but I am looking for a thread :D

It was a challenge, you had to try and win the World Cup with a nation that starts very low in the World Rankings (I cant remember how low) - I think it was on FM10 or FM09.

I would quite like to find it.

. . . .I think it had its own dedicated website actually !

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a challenge, you had to try and win the World Cup with a nation that starts very low in the World Rankings (I cant remember how low) - I think it was on FM10 or FM09.

I can't remember the particular thread, but i'm sure it was win the World Cup with a nation that had never previuosly qualified for a World Cup

Lot of challenges and sign ups in here but dont see much of the experiment side of things. Thought of one that could be quite interesting:

What if you changed the top 10 European leagues so the top flight are moved to lowest division, 2nd division moved to 2nd lowest, etc. For clarity if you took the English set up, Premier league and Championship would be split into BSS and BSN. League 1 clubs would be moved to BSP and league 2 stays as it is. Repeat this for top 10 co-effecient leagues as shown at start of the game and see how the European game progresses. Will the once minnows show enough ambition to sign better players and attempt European glory? Will the bigger teams all go into administration and never get back to top flight? How long before normality is resumed and the "top 4" are ruling Premier league again.

Can think of loads of things that could be monitered in that kind of experiment (how transfers are affected, will clubs adhere to their reputation or their current league and financial standings, how the national game progresses, etc) and would probably take all kind of turns depending on how far it progresses. The reason I was thinking top 10 countries (England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Russian, Ukraine, Turkey and Portugal) is they are traditionally the leagues where the money is. If everyone is relegated it wouldn't be a case of one league buying up all the best players and dominating.

Any ideas, what do you think?

Wouldn't this cause a problem in Spain (and any other country where reserve teams are in the main league structure)? Because for example Castilla would become higher in the pyramid than Real Madrid, that would make things a bit weird?

Might do it based solely on England and see how it turns out though, possibly once with just England loaded and once with the rest of Europe loaded as well to see what difference it makes.

Just out of interest, how many people would be interested if I started an "I can keep more clean sheets than you" sign up?

I feel that as good and effective as the format is, there's just too many of the same style thread going on at the moment (albeit not with 'keepers). I wouldn't be interested, but that doesn't mean other people won't be.

• 2 weeks later...
Wouldn't this cause a problem in Spain (and any other country where reserve teams are in the main league structure)? Because for example Castilla would become higher in the pyramid than Real Madrid, that would make things a bit weird?

Might do it based solely on England and see how it turns out though, possibly once with just England loaded and once with the rest of Europe loaded as well to see what difference it makes.

I moved all the B teams from active leagues and replaced them with similar rep teams from inactive lower leagues. I made all the data changes and ran a quick test but I think it needs to be run with full detail for better results. The reputations didn't appear to change too much on my test. Clubs in the top flight spent most of their new wealth on improving the stadium or building new ones. When they made signings it was a case of paying vastly inflated sums for poor players. Also, a lot of quality players retired early as clubs placed in lower divisions didn't offer new contracts due to wage demands. They wouldn't sign or weren't offered contracts by the lower rep teams in higher leagues and they just faded away.

I don't really have the time to run all the leagues and cups on full detail to see if it throws up better results. I still have the edited database and if anyone wishes to give it a go they are more than welcome to use it. Here's the link for the Inverted Database

you talking about the Cool Runnings challenge? - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/41730-PH71-s-Cool-Runnings-Challenge

don't remember that thread having 5 pages, thought it was only the one when initially searched for it :D

Looking towards my future sign-up now and trying to come up with some ideas... My current sign-up is Striker based, so I want to mix things up a little.

I was thinking something along the lines of...

20+ 15 Year Old players from a very low ranked nation have a chance to bring excitement to the nation. It will be a mix of positions, hopefully covering every position possible and the goal will be to develop and hopefully steer their country to World Cup success. I would also track their club successes aswell.

Anyway, I have only just thought of that off the top of my head and it's just one idea and whether it's a good one or not is something i'm looking to get feedback on?

If you can think of anything you would like me to do as a sign-up, fire away with your suggestions :)

Looking towards my future sign-up now and trying to come up with some ideas... My current sign-up is Striker based, so I want to mix things up a little.

I was thinking something along the lines of...

20+ 15 Year Old players from a very low ranked nation have a chance to bring excitement to the nation. It will be a mix of positions, hopefully covering every position possible and the goal will be to develop and hopefully steer their country to World Cup success. I would also track their club successes aswell.

Anyway, I have only just thought of that off the top of my head and it's just one idea and whether it's a good one or not is something i'm looking to get feedback on?

If you can think of anything you would like me to do as a sign-up, fire away with your suggestions :)

The San Marino sign up? Like the San Marino Challenge but better!

All players are Sammarinese and have to start at a Sammarinese club (download the league pack) with their favourite team set as San Marino (Italian leagues) We are looking for a way to get San Marino to be the greatest footballing nation ever!

The San Marino sign up? Like the San Marino Challenge but better!

All players are Sammarinese and have to start at a Sammarinese club (download the league pack) with their favourite team set as San Marino (Italian leagues) We are looking for a way to get San Marino to be the greatest footballing nation ever!

That's exactly the sort of thing I was steering towards and I will do that as the next sign-up :) Is there any possible way to stop a player from transfering away from their club?

That's exactly the sort of thing I was steering towards and I will do that as the next sign-up :) Is there any possible way to stop a player from transfering away from their club?
League rules maybe? 20 loyalty? But not having that adds a dimension to the games, they could be loyal or move away for money or move to their fav club san marino!

League rules maybe? 20 loyalty? But not having that adds a dimension to the games, they could be loyal or move away for money or move to their fav club san marino!

Well I was thinking of maybe keeping them all in 2 clubs or something along those lines and try to make the league, one of the biggest in the world along with the original plan? The main focus would be mostly on the International team otherwise, where as this would add a rivalry between 2 clubs to become the best.

I suppose I could add this as an option to vote on in the sign-up thread?

A) Allow player movement to any club in the world.

B) Have non-movement and a rivalry between 2 clubs.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was steering towards and I will do that as the next sign-up :)Is there any possible way to stop a player from transfering away from their club?

If you set a future transfer the player will remain at the club until then. So you could set all the players to have a future transfer for 20-25yrs in the future to enable the players to see out the careers at the clubs.

Have been thinking about a sign up which involves generating a world class player who is placed at a lower league club. The aim is to see how far one brilliant player can take a club. I was thinking Scotland would be the best league to run it in as there is no relegation and a really good player could probably get a 3rd division club quite far. Also a few cup competitions to make it interesting. The problem though is that using Scotland would only enable 10 people to sign up. Can't decide what kind of PA/CA to make the players or what kind of position the players should be. Most of the sign ups tend to involve strikers so thought a different position would be better. Not sure a different position would be as influencial to enable a clubs progress though. Any thoughts?

If you set a future transfer the player will remain at the club until then. So you could set all the players to have a future transfer for 20-25yrs in the future to enable the players to see out the careers at the clubs.

Have been thinking about a sign up which involves generating a world class player who is placed at a lower league club. The aim is to see how far one brilliant player can take a club. I was thinking Scotland would be the best league to run it in as there is no relegation and a really good player could probably get a 3rd division club quite far. Also a few cup competitions to make it interesting. The problem though is that using Scotland would only enable 10 people to sign up. Can't decide what kind of PA/CA to make the players or what kind of position the players should be. Most of the sign ups tend to involve strikers so thought a different position would be better. Not sure a different position would be as influencial to enable a clubs progress though. Any thoughts?

Would that not affect when they would retire or not?

I think your idea is good and would be interesting for sure. Try AMC's instead of Strikers? :D

Would that not affect when they would retire or not?

I think your idea is good and would be interesting for sure. Try AMC's instead of Strikers? :D

Don't see how it would affect retirement. Start the players at 17yr old. Future transfer set for 20 years time and would only be 37yrs. Plenty of players carry on at that age.

Not every team plays with an AM though. One possibility is to let the person signing up choose the players position (with the exception of strikers) as may get a variety then. Was thinking a CA of 150 and PA of 195. I think the abilities need to be set very high to try and drag a club up from the lowest division to the top. Still thinking of using Scotland at the moment, unless anyone knows another division without relegation where they think the sign up could work.

Can anyone remember my failed CSE United sign-up? :o

I'm going to restart it soon if people are interested. However, this time I won't manage the team and it'll be in less detail so it actually moves faster. Monthly updates.

I don't remember it as such, but I'd welcome another sign-up with open arms :D Best of luck this time round.

I've just upgraded my PC, and while it's not top of the line it is a significant improvement over what I had before. I'm thinking I want to run a holiday game of some description to test it's performance and I wonder if anybody would be interested in reading the results?

I've not yet seen much done in terms of testing the DLR beyond people trying to raise the rep of the country they are playing in, so I'm thinking I might try running a game with all the European leagues loaded (possibly just highest level) and tracking the game world in quite a lot of detail over a large number of seasons.

There are a number of obvious things to track - league rankings, national rankings, coefficients, etc. - but any feedback on other things to track would also be extremely helpful

EDIT: Having gotten through a season in a reasonable enough amount of time in a test run I think I will run this anyway. Feedback will still be appreciated, though.

I've just upgraded my PC, and while it's not top of the line it is a significant improvement over what I had before. I'm thinking I want to run a holiday game of some description to test it's performance and I wonder if anybody would be interested in reading the results?

I've not yet seen much done in terms of testing the DLR beyond people trying to raise the rep of the country they are playing in, so I'm thinking I might try running a game with all the European leagues loaded (possibly just highest level) and tracking the game world in quite a lot of detail over a large number of seasons.

There are a number of obvious things to track - league rankings, national rankings, coefficients, etc. - but any feedback on other things to track would also be extremely helpful

EDIT: Having gotten through a season in a reasonable enough amount of time in a test run I think I will run this anyway. Feedback will still be appreciated, though.

Sounds good, should be interesting to see how things change. The World Rankings in my game thread are amazingly different in 2027.

• 1 month later...
Would anybody be interested in another Chairman Game Thread?

Something new and unique of the genre would be pretty cool. Have any ideas for something other than taking over chairs of the English Premiere league? Maybe a lower league chairman game or using different countries?

Lower league chairmen sounds quite cool 18 rabbit, if for example you took the BSP and wiped all club debts loans etc and gave a starting balance of a couple of million to each club for the new chairmen to spend on upgrades etc.

It would be difficult to make it work, but at least nobody would argue over hiring SAF as their manager in a lower league, would be interesting to see what approaches would yield the best results over time.

I think that would be fun. Overall chairmen games kind of confuse me since I live in the US and don't really know any league or players very well other than Italian Serie A and some of the players and teams that they've played against in the UEFA Champions League.

What I might enjoy, but would require more involvement (and might turn out to be a huge PITA), would be a chairman game without real players. You could keep the game file on a Google subversion repository (or something similar) with only read access to the file so the chairmen could load the game file up and look at players periodically.

I have been thinking of a super league containing teams like celtic, rangers, rubin, swansea and teams around that reputation, using s small country like san marino or some other european country to host the league. It would be considered to be a fair league I think.

I have been thinking of a super league containing teams like celtic, rangers, rubin, swansea and teams around that reputation, using s small country like san marino or some other european country to host the league. It would be considered to be a fair league I think.

That could be fun too, I'd play that.

On a different subject, I was thinking about starting a "let's play" game of FM2012.

The basic gist would be that we select one team (probably starting off in a lower league) and one player manages the selected team for either half a season or a full season and then saves all of their changes and commits the save game to a shared location (or emails it to the next person who will be managing) and then each person writes up their achievements, transfers and a turn over for the next manager. So we'd try and collectively see how we can do changing ownership and tactics every year/6 months.

On a different subject, I was thinking about starting a "let's play" game of FM2012.

The basic gist would be that we select one team (probably starting off in a lower league) and one player manages the selected team for either half a season or a full season and then saves all of their changes and commits the save game to a shared location (or emails it to the next person who will be managing) and then each person writes up their achievements, transfers and a turn over for the next manager. So we'd try and collectively see how we can do changing ownership and tactics every year/6 months.

There was a save exactly like this on FM10 or FM11 and despite putting my name forward, I never got chance to take part :( It definately would be fun!

Thoughts on this sign up/ Database:

2 Nations, Qatar and UAE go up against each other. Bought out by Arab billionaire the leagues a are converted, One league allows as many foreign players and over 21s as they like, the other restricts you to just 3 foreign player and at least 3 U21 players in first team squad (Current rules in Asia). These leagues will compete to see who can get continental dominance first, see which nation improves the most and see if Asia ends up being the best continental trophy (Champions League).

• 2 weeks later...

Evening folks. Had a wee bit of interest in a 'Roy Hodgson challenge' on Twitter earlier on, based on this: https://twitter.com/#!/orthodox_stu/status/197378961842503680

Just a (currently) relevant twist on a journeyman career really, but thought I'd post it here to see if anyone wants to pick it up and run with it...

Thought I would suggest another one, named some like "Level Up"

Each season is regarded as a level, there are no checkpoints in this level the only one is the start of the season.

You have to manage a team in the top league of a nation.

-In your first season if you win the league you proceed to level two, if not try again.

-Level two, New rule, minimum of 4 Home Grown players in your first team

etc..

-Level X, Whole Sub bench and starting line up Home grown.

- Level X+1, No more transfers.

Level X+2, Sell your player with the highest value in the first transfer window.

Level X+3 Sell your player with the highest value in the first transfer window AND January.

If the team won the league the season before you joined, start on level 2 rules.

And so on. The winner is the player on the highest level. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to run a Challenge or Experiment that I can grind out seasons on but that doesn't take a lot of time to write up. I've been taking my new shiny laptop to work and it's idle a lot so I could run a lot of seasons on vacation but I don't have a lot of time for write ups (the "Save as text" feature looks like it could help a lot so I won't have to take/edit/upload screenshots). Now I just need a suggestion on what sort of challenge or experiment to run. Any ideas?

I want to run a Challenge or Experiment that I can grind out seasons on but that doesn't take a lot of time to write up. I've been taking my new shiny laptop to work and it's idle a lot so I could run a lot of seasons on vacation but I don't have a lot of time for write ups (the "Save as text" feature looks like it could help a lot so I won't have to take/edit/upload screenshots). Now I just need a suggestion on what sort of challenge or experiment to run. Any ideas?
I wanted to try one where you take one player from each team in the top league, either best player or Oldest and make them a player manager and just generally see how the team plays under this underused job role!

I wanted to try one where you take one player from each team in the top league, either best player or Oldest and make them a player manager and just generally see how the team plays under this underused job role!

That might be interesting. I could let people claim teams and pick which player they wanted to take over as manager each season.

That might be interesting. I could let people claim teams and pick which player they wanted to take over as manager each season.
Sounds like a great idea! Like in my 20 year game, Diego Forlan has become one of the most successful managers of all time, would be interesting to see if he is developed enough at the start of the game.

Players I am interested in: Wayne Rooney, more intelligent than you would think.

David Beckham, impossible to get him into a staff role without editing.

Iker Casillas, a goalkeeper manager?

Lionel Messi, pure skill or tactical genius?

Andy Selva. Could he take San Marino to glory?

Just a thought!