[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

Have just started a new game with Argentine, Brazilian, English, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese leagues running.

Started off at Liga Sagres strugglers Rio Ave in Portugal - hope to hop across a few clubs in both Europe and South America.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started a journeyman game as my last save on FM09, though I started fairly high up at Brondby.

After 18 months I moved to Ajax, where again I left after another 13 months for Leeds United in the Championship. What seems an idiotic move away from a CL starter was down to Leeds being taken over by a tycoon.

Got them into EPL with bags to spend, but then it was mid-October already and I couldn't get myself to start another season, knowing it won't be done before FM10 comes out, so I left it.

But in general, I love playing this way after quitting my first save which for coincidental tradition (basically it developed because back in CM93 they were the second tier team with the most money to spend) happens to be with Newcastle every time.

This Thread has so got me wanting to play this game again, 09 i enjoyed but became bored, I've never done a journeyman game, so think thats the way forward, really looking forward to it, I think I'll load up All England,Scotland Welsh,Irish,Sweden,Italy And maybe Spain, Might even chuck France in there as never managed in France before.

Just hope the computer will take all these league,

Is it possible to load them all but not have them slowing down your game speed if your not in that league?

I too have now jumped on the journeyman bandwagon since reading this thread. Normally, I manage Arsenal & no-one else! Crouch, you are an inspiration:thup:

Still on FM09 and running a very old computer so not sure how long it will last but have loaded Sweden(all) Germany(all) Potugal(all) and Italy(B and above). Started unemployed with a semi-pro rep(thats as high as I ever got IRL) and unemployed. Landed a job in Swedish bottom division (cant remember the name! Myserjo or something) 13 played and sitting 7th. Media prediction is 2nd so someone ballsed up lol.

Am really looking forward to this game as I have only ever managed in England & Germany (St. Pauli on 08) Bring it on!!!

I think this is the only way to play the game - have never wanted to pitch in with a big club and a ready-made squad.

I also play LLM rules when it comes to scouting, and play with fictitious players (can't remember what the option is called in set-up) which means you can't import knowledge from the real world to the FM one.

I enjoy the early frustration of really dreadful players (started in lower league Belgium once, which had some utter donkeys). You know you're earning your keep when you have players with 1s and 2s in their stats. And there's a thrill in watching the progress from clumsy error-laden action on the pitch to seeing them stitch a few passes together.

In my current game (FM09), I started at Stalybridge, and took them from Blue Square North to playoff places in Blue Square Prem for three seasons running, turned down a few Div 2 jobs before Carlisle of Div 1 tempted me away. Got them to the Prem in 4 seasons, but the finances weren't going to get us any higher, so when West Ham came knocking I left the team I had pieced together from freebies and youth players. Hit fifth place and won the FA Cup in my first season (both semi and final won on pens after scintillating 0-0s after ET).

Liverpool then asked me to take over, but I turned them down, as the job at Upton Park isn't finished (I hope).

My biggest tip for tackling this type of game, at whatever level, is to sort out the backroom staff - especially scouts. You need as many as you can afford, and at lower level spot PA of 17+ is a must- you're going to have to develop players as you won't have the money to buy them ready made. And tweak the trainers' routines to maximise their effectiveness.

I have a journeyman game on every release. I've started as St Albans before too! I basically start at the bottom, and have the same loyalties as Steve Bruce did a few years ago. I always seem to get approached by some Italian team after a couple of years. At the moment though, I'm having a quick blast as Notts County. All that oil money, hard to resist. I daresay I'll get bored of that soon, then it's time for either the journeyman game, or the St Pauli game.

Can somebody tell me why I am in December 2009 and still havn't got a job?

I've got England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia and Greece all loaded to their bottom levels available.

I've got a reputation of sunday-league, but even bottom tier clubs, such as Blue Square North/South and Italy C2 teams are rejecting me based on my lack of managerial experience. Will I ever get a job?

Just about to start my first journeyman game of FM10.

Leagues Loaded:

The top divisions of: Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, U.S.A, Portugal, Ukraine, Holland, Greece, Turkey, Russia and Scotland.

All Leagues from: Germany, France, Spain, England and Italy.

Will start unemployed with automatic reputation.

I like to use the same kind of tactic with every team, adapting it slightly to the new players, as if the tactic is my manager's tactic.

I've got England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia and Greece all loaded to their bottom levels available.

I've got a reputation of sunday-league, but even bottom tier clubs, such as Blue Square North/South and Italy C2 teams are rejecting me based on my lack of managerial experience. Will I ever get a job?

That's happened to me before... took a while but I got a job in the lowest Swedish league on the game, incidentally with the team which was bottom of the league. Hang in there, something will come up... apply for anything that becomes available... Your not in a place to be picky lol!

Got to March still unmployed, so I started again and added a couple more leagues, Croatia, Finland, Norway and Sweden to their bottom leagues.

One of my best games on FM was last year on FM09. Started with Newport County, won the league in my first season. Second season i got promoted in play-offs. Into the Football League i went, started slow but half way through the season i was pushing towards play-offs, and Notts County offered me job, so i took it. Got them promoted on last game of the season the following year. Then Got promoted in play-offs the following year, so i ended up in Championship. Couple of year consolidation their before i resigned, and went to manage in Australian league where i stayed for a couple of years, not winning any silverware, but doing ok, then i came back and managed Forest in League 2, then i lost momentum and didnt go back on it... might start a new one today

Just noticed this thread so thought i'd get in on it.

Started unemployed and got the Chester job at first. With a -25 point start i got nowhere near survival.

Resigned and moved to Caernarfon who i think had just been promoted to the Welsh Prem. Finished 3rd in my 1st season and won the league in my 2nd.

Decided to take an offer from Gillingham who had just been relegated to L2 and took them straight up after finishing 3rd. In my 2nd season at Gllingham about halfway through the season and sittin in midtable. No money for transfers and nothing left for wages and struggling with a small squad! Waiting for a job offer to save me.

Only got English Leagues, Welsh League and Swedish Leagues loaded.

FM08 was my best career to date. Started unemployed but quickly got the Farsley Celtic job. Then went on a 32 year career managing Farsley Celtic, Scunthorpe, Excelsior, Standard Liege, CSKA Moscow, Hertha Berlin, Portsmouth, and back to Scunthorpe. Never really won anything more exciting then the Belgian top division and was sacked 3 times but was good fun.

This year loaded England (all divisions), Italy (top 3), Spain, Germany, France (all top 2), Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, and USA (top only). Decided to use the random club to get me started and after a practice go (where I got Arsenal), I was given Blyth Spartans. Great first season, promoted as champions, which is the quickest I’ve ever taken a team up. Was linked with the Yeovil job but didn’t get an offer.

I’m hoping to manage a international side this time round, and I would love to make it out of Europe.

I only had one game like this. Started in the 2nd Romanian league and picked the worst team there -Juventus Bucharest, first season I survived with them then took a better Romanian 2nd league team called Olimpia. With them I promoted to the 1st division and next 1 or 2 seasons I made them respectable in the league. Then I went to Dinamo Bucharest which is a big team in the country. I won the league and then took Italian Genoa from 2nd league to Seria A glory. Stopped there. I remember I had a great player called Lars Ricken that started the game in a German club.

Ive just started with Notts County and I want to see it through, but this post has really inspired me to do a journymans league, the lowest level ive started at was on FM9 with SOuthport, got 3 sucessive promotions and loved the game but the file became currupt :(. When ive finished with Notts County, where im walking League 2 (bit too easy) ill start a jounryeman, with ENgland and Italy, where else would you recommend as the most fun countrys ? Ill go anywhere!

FM08 was my best career to date. Started unemployed but quickly got the Farsley Celtic job. Then went on a 32 year career managing Farsley Celtic, Scunthorpe, Excelsior, Standard Liege, CSKA Moscow, Hertha Berlin, Portsmouth, and back to Scunthorpe. Never really won anything more exciting then the Belgian top division and was sacked 3 times but was good fun.

This year loaded England (all divisions), Italy (top 3), Spain, Germany, France (all top 2), Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, and USA (top only). Decided to use the random club to get me started and after a practice go (where I got Arsenal), I was given Blyth Spartans. Great first season, promoted as champions, which is the quickest I’ve ever taken a team up. Was linked with the Yeovil job but didn’t get an offer.

I’m hoping to manage a international side this time round, and I would love to make it out of Europe.

32 year career... THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!! I'd love to have the patience and most importantly TIME to do that... How many hours of gameplay did it take to rack up a 32 year career???

I have a great "save" going with Sunderland, just started my 3rd Season after finishing 5th first season. I finished 10th second season but won both the League Cup and Europa League. But after reading through this thread last night I intend to put that save to one side and start a "journeyman". Just deciding whether to random a team selection until I get a Blue Square Premier Team or start unemployed?

What does anyone recommend?

I decided Norway wasn't for me. Started again and got an offer from Vityaz Podolsk in Russian First Division. I'd never managed in Russia, so I took the job and I've got them in 2nd with about 12 matches to go. It's been a pretty cool experience managing someplace where I've never been before.

I have a great "save" going with Sunderland, just started my 3rd Season after finishing 5th first season. I finished 10th second season but won both the League Cup and Europa League. But after reading through this thread last night I intend to put that save to one side and start a "journeyman". Just deciding whether to random a team selection until I get a Blue Square Premier Team or start unemployed?

What does anyone recommend?

Start unemployed... that's how to start a Journeyman career!

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. It also gave me an idea for a challange that I've made! Basically it will see just how much money you can earn in a 25 year career?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=168113

For more details hit the link above and if your intrested have a go. I'm starting my game just as soon as I get home from this pesky job! But for now, I'll be more than happy to read through other people stories to keep me entertained!

If you apply every open job in first day you have better chance to get a job in journeyman. Don't wait for their approach. And also If you get a national job first, teams not picking you. I had in FM09 game National Team Botswana first accepted me and later every club team rejected.

There's a recession going on don't you know! Job competition is fierce! :D

Being serious, it does seem strange you didn't get offered a job quite quickly. I'm debating whether to take over at Forfar in Scotland on £170 p/w or hold out for something else (possibly overseas) before I start my Career game and I'm only in the first week of the game.

I've got the following nations loaded (all leagues from the list) England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy, Spain, France, Norway, Sweeden, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Germany, Holland, France, Croatia.

Like I said, I've been offered the job at Forfar, but for some reason I find myself wanting to go manage in Scandanavia based on other people saying how fun it is to manage there.

After destroying my beloved Arsenal in just 18 months, I decided my style was not compatible with the big boys and I would be better off in the lower leagues.

So I packed my bags and headed for the start screen where I promptly loaded the majority of the leagues all down to their lowest respective divisions with a large database.

Starting unemployed and with just 'Sunday League' experience, I applied for a dozen jobs that were all available from day one.

It was little known Utsiktens BK of the Swedish Second Division 'Västra Götaland'. Upon consulting my backroom staff my Assman suggested using the transfer market to bring in new players as the youth facilities were poor at best. Not happy with this I confronted the board who claimed there were not enough funds to upgrade the facilities and that I would have to make do until the financial situation changed. 'This is not good enough' I said. 'If we are to win promotion and sustain success I need a conveyor belt of talent that would put Arsene Wenger to shame! Now make it happen!' I said. . .

"You're sacked" they said.

"ok" I said.

Back to the jobcentre with my career not off to the best of starts and it was not until mid November that Lewes of the BSS offered me a position as manager that I greatfully accepted.

After a tiring day of reading up on the history of the club and a meeting with the chairman I went home to rest and prepare for this challenge that should bring out the best in me and my players.

Further updates to follow...

Started my own journeyman in FM10. Loaded all the English, Italian, Spanish and Dutch leagues. Started off with sunday league footballer rep and unemployed. Got hired in October by Gainsborough and made them champs. Managed to stay clear of relegation the next year by finishing 19th. The wage budget kept decreasing rapidly thanks to a financial crisis. Despite finishing 8th the next season, I gave the board an ultimatum: either increase the wage budget or sack me. This thanks to a new decrease in wage budget (down to 3k/week) and higher board expectations: not workable for me. They chose to sack me. After some 100 days of applying I found out that my reputation had hardly increased, so I decided to sign when Blyth Spartans offered me a job. Back to the BSN with a slighter healthier financial status and reputation. Managed to finish 3rd in my first season but got knocked out in the playoffs. So far it's not looking so good for me.

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2009/10    Gainsborough            England    Blue Square North      1st              Champions (took over in October)
2010/11    Gainsborough            England    Blue Square Premier    19th              
2011/12    Gainsborough            England    Blue Square Premier    8th              FA Trophy runners op
2012/13    Blyth                   England    Blue Square North      3rd              Lost in playoffs semi-final    

So i Decided to re start my journey with some more leagues and to run with it so now I am running. England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Sweden and Holland.

It got to Sept and I was asked to take over at Newport County. They were in the BSS and had just sacked Dean Holdsworth. My career started on fire and I was unstopable. Taking the club into the first round proper of the FA cup but then the inevitable slump. The club when I joined had no money and were over the wage budget so no new players just using the squad. The slump started when Dean Holdsworth was hired by Bath and decided to take his old assistant who left and with that. So I then started the hunt for a new number two but I could not get someone to the same standard as my old assistant and to be fair I would not have looked at the old one becasuse most of his stats are 1. I then proceeded to go on a streak of 14 games without a win in all competions. The team went out of the FA Cup and the FA Trophy and were then bottom and 5 points adrift and everything that was tried with tactics and formations just failed and there was no sign of improvment so I took the decision to walk away from Newport while they could still survive. So in January I left Newport and started to look for a new job.

While I am looking for a new job I have decided that all my problems are caused by Dean Holdsworth so with that I have slammed him in the media and am currently trying to get his brother David fired from Mansfield as he is unsecure. One reason is because Mansfield is local to me and I want the job and the other reason is because he is a Holdworth I want to destroy the whole family.

But still the hunt for work goes on.

Journeyman career games are interesting!

As for FM2010, I have started a new save, employed as Pescara's (newly promoted to Italian Seria B) manager in 2012.

I planed to took them to Seria A, and then try to win something that we never did on our history.

The English & Chinese leagues are playable too, so I may move there later.

Let's say "Do it like Roy Hodgson"!

I've started a journeyman career, loading twenty-three countries from every continent. I intend to conquer every continental competition with clubs and win the world cup/continental international competition with a national team from each continent. I don't have the New Zealand league loaded, however... so no O-League.

The first job I took was the first offer that came my way. This is A.D. Huracan of the Spanish Tercera.

Countries loaded:

England (down to level 8), Scotland (using the Platinum edition), France (down to CFA), Spain (down to Tercera), Italy (Down to Serie D), Germany (Down to Oberliga), Holland (Down to Topklasse), Portugal (Down to 3 divisao), Russia (down to 3rd level), Ukraine (Down to 2nd level), Serbia (Down to 2nd level), Turkey (down to 3rd level), Brazil (Down to Serie D), Argentina (down to 3rd level), Mexico (2nd level), USA (MLS only), South Africa (2nd level), Ivory Coast (2nd level), Egpyt (2nd level), Saudi Arabia (2nd level), Iran (2nd level), China (2nd level), Korea (2nd level).

It's fair to say my game is going to be epic. It's running fine too!

I started a journeyman game a little while ago because of this thread. i started with England, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden and Italy as the leagues loaded down to the lowest possible in each country. The first job I got was with Bromley in the Blue Square South. They were 3rd but their manager left to take over at another club. After winning promotion with 4 games to spare I got offered the Walsall job as Hutchings went to take over a chamipoinship club. There were only 6 games to go until the end of the season and I had no chance of playoffs. I won 2 drew 3 and lost 1 and finished in a solid 12th place in League 1. Now I am gearing up for a busy summer where I will try and re-shape my squad. They had already agreed to buy Sheridan from Celtic so I hope he can score me lots of goals next season.

Halfway through my first full season at Utsikten. Currently 4th in the league, 5 points behind the leaders. With only one promotion spot in the Swedish Second Division WG, I need a good second half to the season to gain promotion. If I don't get promotion this season then will probably give it one more shot, and then if I'm not at least pushing for promotion that season then will resign and try and find some other team that'll have me

How many leagues and what leagues should I load with a 2gb RAM, 1.93 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Windows Vista Basic 32Bit laptop?

I'm no computer wizard or anything, but I've got very similar laptop to those figures and I'm running 24 leagues from 8 different countries and is running slightly slower than normal, but not painfully slow

I'm no computer wizard or anything, but I've got very similar laptop to those figures and I'm running 24 leagues from 8 different countries and is running slightly slower than normal, but not painfully slow

Yeah thats about what I run on 09 maybe 28 I think it was. Go to season 3 and thats when it started to become slow but not very slow. And 10 is apparently quicker so that should help :thup:

Utsikten end of season update - 2010

A poor end to the season saw me finish in 5th place. Going to resign as can't see myself getting into the promotion spot with this team, especially as finances aren't great so am unable to sign players.

Edit: Was only looking for a job for 5 weeks, when Aberystwyth approached me. Currently bottom of the Welsh League, but predicted to finish 7th so should be able to move them up a bit. Contract offer was £50 p/w more than what I was getting paid at Utsikten.

Should we not move this thread to the FM stories section or set up a Journeyman challenge so that we can all talk about our Jorneyman careers. We can then talk about signings and stuff. Also see who does the best out there.

Post about it in the Careers forums, either by creating your own thread or posting in the anecdote thread. :thup:

Just started a journeyman career. Set myself the goal of staying with every team until I at least win 1 prize, or when enjoyment is lacking at least give it a 3 year shot.

Loaded all the European leagues available from the top flight to the lowest leagues. Started unemployed with auto rep and was hired by Aberystwyth in Wales. Expected 8th, currently leading in end of January. In a tough fight with the top 3.

After getting Bromley promioted and finishing the season at Walsall at 12th place in league 1, I managed to buy Cillian Sheridan in the summer. He has now scored 10 goals in 6 games in the league including a hat trick on his debut against Tranmere which I won 5-1. I then played Leciester in the league cup and lost 2-0 but has since won 3 more league games to go top of the league. The last game I beat Bristol Rovers at home 5-0. I am using the total possession domination tactic from the good tactics forum and tugs training to go along with it. My 2 strikers have scored 90% of my goals but I don't mind as long as I keep winning and they don't get injured.

I've started a journeyman career, loading twenty-three countries from every continent. I intend to conquer every continental competition with clubs and win the world cup/continental international competition with a national team from each continent. I don't have the New Zealand league loaded, however... so no O-League.

The first job I took was the first offer that came my way. This is A.D. Huracan of the Spanish Tercera.

Countries loaded:

England (down to level 8), Scotland (using the Platinum edition), France (down to CFA), Spain (down to Tercera), Italy (Down to Serie D), Germany (Down to Oberliga), Holland (Down to Topklasse), Portugal (Down to 3 divisao), Russia (down to 3rd level), Ukraine (Down to 2nd level), Serbia (Down to 2nd level), Turkey (down to 3rd level), Brazil (Down to Serie D), Argentina (down to 3rd level), Mexico (2nd level), USA (MLS only), South Africa (2nd level), Ivory Coast (2nd level), Egpyt (2nd level), Saudi Arabia (2nd level), Iran (2nd level), China (2nd level), Korea (2nd level).

It's fair to say my game is going to be epic. It's running fine too!

im doing something similiar but with not so many leagues

Archived