A thread for some advanced editing tips

I've had several PM's recently saying they couldn't get the advanced panel to show:

For your convenience I have this file for you to download. Extract the ZIP file into: football manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format

Or of course wherever steam is located e.g. Steam\steamapps\common\... Works for both Steam and non-Steam

It should override the current format.xml

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/shp106/fm/format.zip

Although a warning, if you couldn't figure out how to activate it, using it will most likely go over the top of your head... It's very buggy (one reason why it's disabled I guess).

Good Luck.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you get the league-->cup to work. I still can't figure that out[/quote

have a look at steve's home nations file and compare that .xml file with yours ????

thats what I am going to do as that runs fine ;)

thats only a league, i'm taking about a two stage tournament. first stage is a league, followed by a cup. can't seem to get the qualified teams from the league stage to play in the next round(cup)

thats only a league, i'm taking about a two stage tournament. first stage is a league, followed by a cup. can't seem to get the qualified teams from the league stage to play in the next round(cup)

missed that sorry:D

it would be great if some of these guys could have a stcky on here showing the files to various examples:thup:

i.e.

created cups

leagues

2 stage tournies

new nations/combined nations

so we could take a look at the .xml files and compare

I managed to get each nations population to display in the editor by editing the nation/nation ui.xml but when I try to edit it, it resets back to its original value is there any way to stop it doing that? And besides does population have any meaning in the game or is it just comestic, other than just appearing in the nation overview screen?

th_Untitled.png

Good job. Was the record field defined for a nation's population, or did you create one? If its the latter, that might be the reason its resetting, otherwise, look through the code and see if the population value is fixed/frozen. To answer your other question, population is basically cosmetic, does nothing as far as creating regens, or other stuff.

If anyone is interested in adding new nations, I finally found a way.

open up 'db record lists.xml' (located in the format/database ui/ folder of the editor), scroll all the way down towards the end (nation table section) and make a change to these following values:

<!-- nation table -->

<record>

<flags id="field" value="ntls"/>

<string id="name" value="Nations[COMMENT: Competition editor; field name]"/>

<flags id="type" value="database_table"/>

<boolean id="is_section" value="true"/>

<boolean id="stretch_to_fit_screen" value="true"/>

<flags id="database_table_type" value="nation"/>

<boolean id="use_labels_for_columns" value="true"/>

<boolean id="allow_add" value="false"/> <------- change "false" to "true"

<boolean id="allow_remove" value="false"/> <------- change "false" to "true"

<boolean id="is_client_field" value="true"/>

<record id="list_item">

<flags id="fields" value="ntrs"/>

</record>

</record>

additionally, by changing similar values other sections in this file, you can now add continents (Antarctica, anyone?), regions, and stage names. please back up your files before attempting this. as far as new nations qualifiying works for world cups and other tournaments, i do not know, haven't tried it out yet

How can you make qualifying competitions for tournaments?

Also, can you edit the World Cup Qualifiers to allow created nations to enter without corrupting it?

One final question, can you set a nation's generated players to have a certain average skill level?

Also, can you edit the World Cup Qualifiers to allow created nations to enter without corrupting it?

One final question, can you set a nation's generated players to have a certain average skill level?

You can create qualifying competitions for tournaments. This is done by creating 'child' competitions for a 'parent' competition. The problem as it stands right now, is that I haven't been able to figure out how to get teams qualifying from the group stage to move on to the next round, the competition stops once the group stage is completed. I'm sure once I figure that out, I can start working on entering created nations into tournaments. To answer your final question, I haven't seen any coding in the files that would allow to set a certain skill level for players. I know that the FIFA Manager editor has something like this, but I haven't seen this in the FM editor.

I really want this answering because I want to fiddle around with OFC and add the Pitcairn Islands as a nation, to see if I can take them to the World Cup. Do I have to remove a team, or can I edit the xml file to allow an extra team in the qualifiers?

I really want this answering because I want to fiddle around with OFC and add the Pitcairn Islands as a nation, to see if I can take them to the World Cup. Do I have to remove a team, or can I edit the xml file to allow an extra team in the qualifiers?

I really don't know yet. As I said, haven't had a chance to try it out other than creating a new nation. What I would recommend, is changing one of the defunct nations to Pitcairn Islands (South Vietnam, Burma (my recommendation, since the name was changed to Myanmar, no real change to the country itself), USSR, CIS, etc.) If you are concerned with keeping accurate competition records, you can create the new nation to replace the defunct one that you change. I can tell you for a fact that using a defunct nation will allow you to still qualify for the World Cup, and youth championships, although they will not play in the OFC Nations Cup. For that, you will have to completely redo the Nations Cup using the advanced panel Stevenhp1987 mentioned.

How do you choose how many teams qualify, and can you set a nation's league or cup as a child competition?

are you talking about club or international qualification? for international, i.e. the world cup, the World Cup itself would be the parent competition, and the UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF, etc. world cup qualifying tournaments would be the child competitions. As far as choosing how many teams qualify from each section, if you are adding new nations, you will have to redo the competition. i.e. if you create Pitcairn Islands, you will have to rewrite the OFC world cup qualifying, at the very least, to select Piticairn Islands along with other nations in the OFC. For the time being, refer to my previous post for the quick fix.

Fraudiay79...

You seem to have mis-interpreted the concept of parent competitions.

The world cup is NOT by any means a parent competition. A parent tournament would be one such as Blue Square Regional -> With blue square south and north as the child competitions... competitions at the same level in the competition structure.

Choosing MLS rules in the advanced panel cause the game to crash... which is a shame as it would be perfect for a European league as each "group" could have relegation to the national division...

Fraudiay79...

You seem to have mis-interpreted the concept of parent competitions.

The world cup is NOT by any means a parent competition. A parent tournament would be one such as Blue Square Regional -> With blue square south and north as the child competitions... competitions at the same level in the competition structure.

Choosing MLS rules in the advanced panel cause the game to crash... which is a shame as it would be perfect for a European league as each "group" could have relegation to the national division...

yeah, sorry i actually meant rewriting the World Cup from scratch, and having the qualifying rounds serve as parts of a multiple competition. By the way, how did you get league stage-->cup stage to work? I'm having the same issues as I did with the group stage

fraudiay79: Those are advanced features which work for advanced Panel (as in my screenie) and do not work in normal nation_rules. If you look at my home international championship XML, you will notice I did not once use nation_rules to edit the competition. The year intervals etc. work in that method if I wanted them.

Goto: tools>editor>data>format>format.xml

Swap record id of advanced panel and file information (e.g. the <record id="file"> bit. This will hide the old file information (click file to get the advanced panel) and display the advanced panel instead. Setting nation rules through that work for new nations. You can edit current competitions without setting nation_rules (but if you edit one while also setting nation_rules, then the nation_rules is the outcome, not advanced panel settings).

Have a play if you want. Get something wrong and the competition will simply not work as expected/at all.

Can someone explain this in more detail, I'm not entirely sure what you do?

Can someone explain this in more detail, I'm not entirely sure what you do?

Please refer to earlier post in this thread:

I've had several PM's recently saying they couldn't get the advanced panel to show:

For your convenience I have this file for you to download. Extract the ZIP file into: Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format

Of course wherever steam is located e.g. program files/steam...

It should override the current format.xml

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/shp106/fm/format.zip

Although a warning, if you couldn't figure out how to activate it, using it will most likely go over the top of your head... It's very buggy (one reason why it's disabled I guess).

Good Luck.

The only earlier post I could find that offered any explanation was the one I quoted. Am I supposed to just move the part of the code with advanced in it to the top?

dude, just copy and paste the file that is linked in the post over your original. that should take care of everything

Guys, is there any way to create an advanced compitition rule that will force nantional teams to use only domestic based players while entering that comp?

yes, but once again, has to be done using the advanced panel. there is an option of setting the number of foreign players in the squad, which can be set to zero. have a go at it and see if it works.

I haven't seen this panel so wouldn't know for sure, but an educated guess would suggest that's for club tournaments, since by definition a national team can't have foreign players. Foreign players ≠ foreign-based players...

I haven't seen this panel so wouldn't know for sure, but an educated guess would suggest that's for club tournaments, since by definition a national team can't have foreign players. Foreign players ≠ foreign-based players...

it is in the 'nation' panel. you will have to rewrite the rules for the particular nation the competition is in. should be in the 'fixture rules' drop down menu.

Anybody working with the advanced panel understand the significance of the "Ranking Levels". Does it do anything at all?

Have a look at my home nations club cup for how ranking stuff works. e.g. Third place playoff, set winner to ranking 2 and loser to ranking 3 (0 = 1st, 1 = 2nd etc...) to set appropriate place in cup for teams.

Guys, is there any way to create an advanced compitition rule that will force nantional teams to use only domestic based players while entering that comp?

No. You can impose match rules but if the team selected doesn't fit the match day rules, the player cannot continue as the squad selection rules cannot be set.

No. You can impose match rules but if the team selected doesn't fit the match day rules, the player cannot continue as the squad selection rules cannot be set.

So basically impossible. Thats a pity. Was looking to implement a bunch of African Tournaments where they only use domestic based players like CHAN and UMEOA. Hopefully SI will fix this squad rules issue in the next patch.

Here are the links to what I have managed to add to the editor, but most of it has not worked yet.

Assigning Group Names/Numbers/Conferences http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/4324920261/

Additional Group Sorting Rules http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/4324920305/

Ranking Levels (not sure how it works) http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/4325644610/

League Fate Actions (found this interesting) http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/4324907701/

Setting Year Intervals for cups (didn't work, yet) http://www.flickr.com/photos/47220057@N08/4325644690/

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I can't get the advanced panel to show in Nation Rules, only in File. None of the things in the quote are there for me. I did what I was told to do (downloaded the format.xml file, extracted it and saved it in data -> format). What else can I do?

My file replaces the file bit with the advanced panel... The only way of displaying it at the moment.

Not quite - I found a way of adding it alongside the other options - instead of swapping the record name files around from adva to file and vice versa, just cut and paste the code into the File information record - then it gets displayed with File, About and Details. Click here to find my version.

Depends what the request is... I'm very good at procrastinating (doing masters this year) recently :)

A 26-nation cup replacing ther Four Associations Tournament as such:

British Territories and Commonwealth Realms Cup

Rd 1: 20 teams at random

Rd 2: 6 teams with a bye at random

Teams involved: England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, Bermuda, Turks and Caicos, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Cook Islands, Grenada, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands, Saint Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Jamaica

Takes place at a two-yearly interval, i.e. 2009-10; 2011-12; 2013-14 etc.

Two-legged knockout stages (away team wins tie if first leg won by 2 goals, extra time, penalties, away goals)

First legs played on Tuesdays; second legs a month later on Thursdays; final single-legged at Wembley (fixed stadium, if possible) on the last Sunday of May.

The main issues I have by only using nation rules is I can't get the year intervals to work, and neither does away team win by 2 goals work. Also, I can't get the competition history to show, but I see you managed to do this with your Home Nations Tournament, so hopefully you can do that here too.

Cheers!

Archived