A thread for some advanced editing tips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for those tips...i try to edit de players columns so when i seach someone it shows his CA and PA. It shows the columns but when i search a player de value doesnt appear and when i make a filter (ex: GK above 150 CA ) no players are showed. I changed the player ui.xml. I'm doing something wrong or something missing to work all well?

<!-- fields for the person table -->

<record id="prrs">

<list id="fields">

<record db_field="pers,dbnm" width="-2"/> <!-- name -->

<record db_field="pers,Pnti" width="-2"/> <!-- nation -->

<record db_field="pers,Pcti" width="-2"/> <!-- club -->

<record db_field="pers,Pcjt"/> <!-- job -->

<record db_field="pers,Ppss"/> <!-- position -->

<record db_field="pers,Ncra"/> <!-- current ability -->

<record db_field="pers,Npta"/> <!-- potential ability -->

I have a question. I'm trying to reproduce some of the lower tiers in Belgian football, and also the regional cups that are played IRL.

The format of one of those regional cups is pretty complicated and so far I don't see how I can reproduce this in the game. The cup starts out with a groups stage consisting of 8 groups. Now here's the thing: these groups each contain around 20 teams but teams don't play every opponent. Every team gets 4 opponents from that group randomly assigned. So every team in one group only plays 4 matches to determine the final standings in that group. The top 2 teams then proceed to the knock-out stage.

Is it at all possible to reproduce this? And if not, which I suspect, could I implement some sort of qualifying stage? If possible I could maybe let teams qualify with 2 or 3 direct knock-out rounds for the group stage that would then consist of 8 groups each containing 5 teams, playing each other once.

Have been trying to re-create the Danish leagues down to level 5 but it's quite a complicated setup as there are in total 8 divisions but they all hold between 8 to 15 teams and only feed certain regional leagues above them. The 8 leagues also have different fixture rules, the league of 8 play 3 times and the laegue of 14 & 15 play 2 times but again I seem to only be able to set the whole level to either play 2 or 3 times which messes up with either the smaller leagues not playing enough or the bigger leagues playing too many.

They also have different promotion rules as well, some with auto and some with play off but it seems I can only set the whole level to have set promotion rules. Will try again by removing the level 5 group setting and try to add them individually but I've no idea if that would work.

So basically the question is can you add a new level that has different number of teams with different promotion and fixture settings or does the whole level have to play to the same set of rules

Spurs: many people have tried and failed. It seems like it's currently not possible. Even if you don't put the divisions into groups but treat them as individual divisions it won't work, because you can't put them at the same level. Sure, you can set the level the same in the db, but for the league rules you have to arrange them in a hierarchy. Whichever division is higher up in the hierarchy is considered a level above, regardless what the level property of the competition says, and you can only promote/relegate teams between adjacent divisions.

Not being able to treat groups on the same level individually is the single most limiting restriction of the game, and we can only lobby SI to change that as quickly as possible. Just making this one change will make a ton of real life setups possible that we can't do now. There are some other changes we need, but this is probably the most important one.

I thought so, thanks for the response Dale, as things stand I have made the 8 sub divisions but instead made 7 divisions with 10 teams and 1 division with 11 teams. Made it so the winners of each league get promoted automatically and the 2nd placed teams go into a play off against each other for the 9th promotion spot (there are 9 promotions in real life). It's reasonably close but the teams re-arrange themselves in the 2nd season which is a bit frustrating and also they don't all enter the Danish cup but the teams below them do.

So have a few things to work out but it'll be playable at least, just not exactly like the real Danish level 5

In order to avoid excessive rearrangement of clubs in the 2nd season, see the top post for how to properly regionalize a league. The cup issue may be difficult to resolve, because it's possible that the level it draws teams from is hardcoded. Check if there's a generic lower division that the game uses to draw teams from, and if it has a level set.

Yeah the Danish Cup seems to take teams from the old level 5 which is called Danish Lower Division but that contains every team from level 5 to level 9 so I lowered it to level 6 and added a new level 5 and changed teams into the right teams. Will have a go at regionalising the teams that make up the level 5 leauges and those above them as they are most likely to be relegated into the level 5. Not sure I have the knowledge of Danish geography to do the teams below level 5 so will end up sucking them up to be in random leagues when they get promoted.

I think what I'll try is rename my created level 5 as the standard "Danish Lower Division" and then re-name the original "Danish Lower Division" to "Danish Lower Division Tier 2" and set it as level 6 to see if that helps with the cup. Then trial it again to see if the regional settings work and the level 5 teams get priority in the danish cup instead of the tiers 6 to 9 teams instead.

Right I've sorted the cup out after deleting the entry using the notepad and re-adding the cup which enables me to set divisions, I've made it a bigger cup then usual so it actually includes all teams (a bit like the English FA Cup so it includes lower leagues also). Still have a problem with the regional divisions changing as there are no regional areas for Denmark in the game and it doesn't seem to let me add them into the game which leaves me trouble setting each division a regional area to select teams from.

I've gone and put all the teams to have a prefered division for level 5 but that doesn't work, when I tested it teams still got moved reguardless of them having there actual division set as being the prefered one for level 5.

Have made quite a few changes again, realising my ideas on how to set regional divisions was wrong as I assumed you had to set a regional area but realise I can now set 4 cities as criteria for the preference in clubs. I did try a complicated setup at first to try and make it extremely accurate but it seemed to struggle badly in selecting sides that resulted in around 20% retained clubs in the correct level 5 divisions. So instead I've opted to use just 1 city for each division and then the nearest 10/11 clubs to that city get selected and this has resulted in around 75% accuracy which is not too bad.

I ran a 10 year trial of the league overnight and found that clubs seemed to lose value by around 50% so I've just added some prize money to the Danish Premier & First divisions, not a massive amount but enough that should see each club in those divisions grow in stature by around 50% after 10 years which I think is realistic given other leagues teams do appear to grow by that much. This will need to be tested again to be 100% sure it doesn't allow Danish teams to grow too big.

I am also thinking I might set all the teams in the level 5 divisions to just have that level and no set league in hope that once it assigns teams for the first division it will result in near 100% accuracy for following seasons (seeing as I can't add 8 team, 11 team, 14 team, 15 team and 16 team different leagues anyway without it being messed up I can't build it to be 100% accurate whatever I do but this will result in less changes after the first season which is probably best in the long run).

I like how if you delete the right code in the file and you re-add the league/cup you can change anything you want about it, ie set prize money for top divisions etc and different promotion rules, nice little tip I recieved from this forum and thread :D

great thread! working on merging data right now...

i've one question

my mate tried to make Unique ID column and he added the line mentioned above, but editor started to crush.

do we have to add some other stuff to edit the unique ID?

Well, you have to make sure you get the right unique ID for the particular screen. The example above used the club unique ID, which is only available at certain screens. You can find examples of the field names in the file. Typically, only the fields that are available in the search panel for that screen are possible to include in the columns, so look for the section where it lists all the search fields and take a note of what the unique ID field that you need is called.

One question for me too.

I have made a league system with one top division, and 3 bottom divs with 6 regional groups each. Have putted in every league group boundaries, and also in every team putted the correct divs in regional divisions tab, but still, teams move where they are not supposed to. Eg, it would be normal teams to move in First regional div if 3 teams from different regional divs fall from top tier, but in lower divisions why the hell is this happening??

One question for me too.

I have made a league system with one top division, and 3 bottom divs with 6 regional groups each. Have putted in every league group boundaries, and also in every team putted the correct divs in regional divisions tab, but still, teams move where they are not supposed to. Eg, it would be normal teams to move in First regional div if 3 teams from different regional divs fall from top tier, but in lower divisions why the hell is this happening??

the coordinates in the db could be off. I've discovered quite a few cities that had bad data, and if one of those are used for the boundaries you can get weird results. what I did for Germany was to map the coordinates from the db in google maps and draw out the rectangles from the boundaries.

This might be a bit too advanced but what i'm trying to do is add a button or edit a current option (maybe weather) to basically allow me to create a nation...

By adding the Nation (editor database file) details over the top of the Weather it nulled the weather options but didnt change the boxes to allow me to write out fresh details for a country.

If this makes any sense... i made edits to the UI Weather file too but to no avail.

Any ideas if this is possible? To break it down i'm basically trying to copy the 'add club' button but make it possible for countries (which i cant see being a problem really..)

Great post but I've one comment to make

How to make regional divisions work properly

For example, let's say you have a Northern and Southern division, with one promotion spot each. Now two northern teams from the tier above are getting relegated, and none from the South. What the game should be doing is move the Northern team closest to the southern boundary to the Southern division. However, what will most likely be happening instead is that one or more teams randomly switch divisions, without regard to geography. With teams getting promoted from below and with more than two regional divisions on a tier, things get exponentially worse, to the point that the entire mix looks very random.

This is something that is different from country to country. In most countries the example you use were the northernest team closest to the south border is moved to the southern division. But theer are countries that do it differently. F.ex in Norway wrere they adjust with the number of relegated teams. F.ex in there are 23 regional divisions in the 3rd div. 1 regional div pr football region. Were each winner plays a play-off against to or three other winners. The winners of the groups each year plays the play off against the winner of the same gruops. F.ex Group winners from 20 and 21 always plays against each other and 22 and 23 against each othre etc..

Every year 12 2nd divisions teams are relegated to the 3rd div and of course 12 goes up. In every third divisons there is normally 3 teams that are relegated, if everything is proceeds normally. Normally means that the winner of the regional division wins the play-off and are promoted, and that there is one relegated team from 2nd div that belongs to that region. But as you can see 23 3rd regional divisions don't add with the number of relegated 2nd div teams and promoted 3rd division teams. So every year there are several 3rd regional division that things don't go normal.

Let me use the two northernest 3rd div as a fictional example, group 22 Troms and group 23, Finnmark. Let say that there are two teams from Finnmark in the 2nd div (not likely to happen any time soon but the example is still valid). The two 2nd division teams are

from Finnmark are relegated and no teams from Troms are relagated. The team from 3rd division group 22 beats the team from group 23 in the promotion play off. This means the following: The number of teams from Troms next season will then be: 12 minus the team promoted to 2nd division, minus 3 teams relegated to the fourth div, plus three promoted from 4th division teams. Added together that means 11 teams from Troms the next season.

The Number of team from Finnmark will be 12 (including the play off loser) pluss the 2 teams relegated from 2nd div, minus 3 teams relegated to 4th division, plus three promoted from the 4th division. Added together that means 14 teams from Finnmark next year.

This should in a lot of countries mean that the two Finnmark teams closest to the Troms borther would be moved to Troms and one Troms team further south, but in Norway they do it different, they adjust with the number of teams relegated. This means that in Group 22 Troms the team that ended in the 10th place aren't relegated, ergo only two teams are relegated to the fourth divison. This also means that the best placed team that were supposed to be relegated to teh fourth div also are avoiding relegation.

In Finnmark on the other hand they have 14 3rd division teams and have to adjust to get twelve This means that two more sides have to be relegated and team nr 8 and 9 are also relegated to the fourt division, ergo 5 teams are relegated in thet 3rd division group. Normally this would mean that two more 4rth div teams would have been relegated but the Finnmark region doesn't have a lower division than the 4th.

In my opinion there should have been an option in the editor to decide how to adjust regional lower divisions properly. One move the team closest to the border from the group with to many teams to the one with to few teams, or second to adjust the number of relegated teams in the group that has to few or to many teams.

Right I've sorted the cup out after deleting the entry using the notepad and re-adding the cup which enables me to set divisions, I've made it a bigger cup then usual so it actually includes all teams (a bit like the English FA Cup so it includes lower leagues also).

The problem with that is, that you're replacing a hardcoded competition with a custom one, and thereby losing all the subtleties that a hardcoded competition can have but you can't replicate with the editor.

For anyone making new nations or who just want to remove certain nations (e.g. creating Yugoslavia and removing the current 6 nations from the FYR)

You can use an .lnc file to ensure that the old nations do not call up players (e.g. with second nationalities)

use the following code:

Serbia

"FAKE_NATIONAL_TEAM" 802 1

and here is an explanation of how you can use it:

"FAKE_NATIONAL_TEAM" Nation Unique ID "1/0 - On/Off"

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one to trouble your brains!

Let's say I have two countries. I create a new competition in the editor for both. I would like a cup between the two new competitions. How does one do this. I have tried everything from adding the competition into both XML files to having it in just one - both to no luck!

Very frustating that we cannot add competitions in one XML and have them work in a different XML file!

Very interesting thread. I don't think its possible, but is there a way to edit competition qualification rules for existing competitions? I want to try and edit the Champions League rules so that it takes one team from a different country, or edit the Club World Cup rules. Is there any way of doing this? I know I could just delete the competition and make a new one, but I don't how to create a new competition that takes teams from different nations like the CL or UEFA Cup do

I figured how to make a european cup, as long as I set a nation for it, even though it has teams from multiple nations. But I'd prefer to make it not having a country but you can't edit nation rules for no nation

Very interesting thread. I don't think its possible, but is there a way to edit competition qualification rules for existing competitions? I want to try and edit the Champions League rules so that it takes one team from a different country, or edit the Club World Cup rules. Is there any way of doing this? I know I could just delete the competition and make a new one, but I don't how to create a new competition that takes teams from different nations like the CL or UEFA Cup do

I figured how to make a european cup, as long as I set a nation for it, even though it has teams from multiple nations. But I'd prefer to make it not having a country but you can't edit nation rules for no nation

It's just what I want to do!

I've created the Anguilla's League, but the teams are not able to go to Champions League! And it's very boring!

So I'd like to know how to edit competion's rules of accession or how to edit a new continental League!

About the second thing, I saw that exist leagues (like the Club Carebbean League) that are NOT active...is it possible to activate them?

It's just what I want to do!

I've created the Anguilla's League, but the teams are not able to go to Champions League! And it's very boring!

So I'd like to know how to edit competion's rules of accession or how to edit a new continental League!

About the second thing, I saw that exist leagues (like the Club Carebbean League) that are NOT active...is it possible to activate them?

Even if you edited them, the only way I know of editing a competition's qualification and fixture rules is through editing Nation Rules, but that means giving them a nation. I tested just now and I found if I gave the european competition a nation, that nation had to be loaded for the tournament to work

Even if you edited them, the only way I know of editing a competition's qualification and fixture rules is through editing Nation Rules, but that means giving them a nation. I tested just now and I found if I gave the european competition a nation, that nation had to be loaded for the tournament to work

So if I want to create a new Champions League I should create it as a national League?

But how can stranger teams play there?? And if they can how can I set the rules for the access??

So if I want to create a new Champions League I should create it as a national League?

But how can stranger teams play there?? And if they can how can I set the rules for the access??

If you create a blank competition with no teams and nation as England for example. Then click add Nation Rules and select England (Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure). Then on the left select Cups, click Add at the bottom, choose other cup, and select the competition you made earlier from the drop down list.

Now to add the leagues. Click add and it seems to give you options only for English leagues. No problem. Select a random league and a random amount of teams, then after customising your settings you will see your competition has been added on the left with the list of other cups like the FA Cup. Select your cup and you can now edit the settings in a far more detailed manner, and you can change what leagues to get teams to qualify from, and how many teams qualify from each, including foreign leagues.

Unfortunately this means you have to load England (or whatever country you choose) when you start a new game for the cup to load, but otherwise it should work fine

If you create a blank competition with no teams and nation as England for example. Then click add Nation Rules and select England (Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure). Then on the left select Cups, click Add at the bottom, choose other cup, and select the competition you made earlier from the drop down list.

Now to add the leagues. Click add and it seems to give you options only for English leagues. No problem. Select a random league and a random amount of teams, then after customising your settings you will see your competition has been added on the left with the list of other cups like the FA Cup. Select your cup and you can now edit the settings in a far more detailed manner, and you can change what leagues to get teams to qualify from, and how many teams qualify from each, including foreign leagues.

Unfortunately this means you have to load England (or whatever country you choose) when you start a new game for the cup to load, but otherwise it should work fine

Thank you a lot! I'm going to try!

Anyway I was thinking that we could do it as you told, but using one of the not-active nations (like Jugoslavia) that are in the editor! Then we could merge the files! What about it?

Sorry I have one more question...I'd like to create a continental league where the carrebean teams can go (teams created by myself!!!) So I need someone to tell me how to merge more files of the editor in one...is it possible?

Sorry I have one more question...I'd like to create a continental league where the carrebean teams can go (teams created by myself!!!) So I need someone to tell me how to merge more files of the editor in one...is it possible?

maybe you should read the opening post. yes it's possible but tricky. let us know if things have improved in 10.2

Hi, I made the free agents DB and have found a big problem :(

In the data editor I put in eg 1.8M remaining wage budget for liverpool

But then when I load up the game, they only have £85K

It has nothing to do with debt as I have tried that

Hi, I made the free agents DB and have found a big problem :(

In the data editor I put in eg 1.8M remaining wage budget for liverpool

But then when I load up the game, they only have £85K

It has nothing to do with debt as I have tried that

I will assume its to do with the club having previously (as db has) no wages and the board will have no reason to increase wages by £1.8M a month/week whatever if they are successful (and being in premier league is).

maybe you should read the opening post. yes it's possible but tricky. let us know if things have improved in 10.2

I read the first post of Editor Hideway, but I didn't see anything that could help me...could you link me that post you're talking about?

I read the first post of Editor Hideway, but I didn't see anything that could help me...could you link me that post you're talking about?

I'm talking about the very first post in this thread. Not sure if things have improved in 10.2, but in 10.1 it was a nightmare to merge data.

Oh, and you can't merge nation rules, you can just merge the db changes of another file into your current rules. So that makes it quite tricky to create a continental cup for Caribbean leagues, because the leagues are defined in a bunch of external files, and you can't combine them into one. The only way to do it is to change the other files to only use existing competitions for their top league instead of new ones - that way you can choose that competition in your current cup rules. You can later rename the competition in the other files, and even change their nation, but you cannot refer to completely new competitions that don't exist in the default db.

Oh, and you can't merge nation rules, you can just merge the db changes of another file into your current rules.

What does it mean??

PS: So in the end it's impossible to do? There's not a way to play the Anguilla's League an then play a continental one??:D

What does it mean??

PS: So in the end it's impossible to do? There's not a way to play the Anguilla's League an then play a continental one??:D

He means you cannot edit more than one league structure in one XML file. Therefore if you have created *new* competitions for one XML file, you cannot use it in another XML file for any cup purposes.

Guys I need this:

1. All the national championships of the Carribean region; (that I'd like to create on my own and..it's easy to do)

2. A continental League where only the winners of the Carribean championships can play.

Is there a way to do it or not? (even if the way is very long and hard..)

Archived