A thread for some advanced editing tips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did it. And still no winners recorded. Here is the file. Can you take a look? In my other file it works. Can it be the fault of a bigger number of clubs?

http://www.wielki.mrowkojad.com/munuWIP.xml)

I did two things - one was set a league fate for the final winner to be champion. Seconly I changed the rankings to the loser of the final gets rank 1, semi gets 2, qf gets 3, 1/16th gets 4, 3rd in group gets 5, 4th in group gets 6, etc. Rather than having massive ranking numbers. And it works, it records the winners.

It doesn't have a record for 2009 (as the competition is normally held at the end of the year), instead it enters the winner for 2010, so you'll have a missing year with no champion, but I'm sure you can live with that!

http://www.filefront.com/16372825/munuWIP.xml

I did two things - one was set a league fate for the final winner to be champion. Seconly I changed the rankings to the loser of the final gets rank 1, semi gets 2, qf gets 3, 1/16th gets 4, 3rd in group gets 5, 4th in group gets 6, etc. Rather than having massive ranking numbers. And it works, it records the winners.

It doesn't have a record for 2009 (as the competition is normally held at the end of the year), instead it enters the winner for 2010, so you'll have a missing year with no champion, but I'm sure you can live with that!

I'm a little confused regarding this however.

Working on my Trinidad League I first did the FA Trophy, which is the main knock-out tournament in T&T. Competition winner and history records beautifully - no problem there.

So, confidently I go ahead and add the First Citizens Bank (One of several League Cups). I do the exact same thing in rankings - but this one does not want to record the histories. I'm thinking maybe because this one uses a 3rd place play-off?

I'm currently loading it back up in the editor to see if I can come up with something.

I was always doing ranking levels like:

FINAL: 0 - 1

SEMIS: winners 0 to 1, losers 2

QUARTERS: winners 0 to 3, losers 4

Thanks for fixing my file :) U got a big beer if you're ever in Poland.

For third place playoff I set the winner to rank 2 and loser to rank 3. All other rounds to rank 0 for winner and a lower rank for the loser.

Aha... That may make a difference.

I've been setting the rank for winner in each round one up on the previous. So, for the quarter final, for example, I had the winner set to 2 and the Loser to 3. Semi Final to 1 and 2 and so forth. This worked for the FA Trophy... but now I can see that always putting the 0 on the winner should be better...

But, what would you use for the Semi Final? 0 for both winner and loser? Or 0 winner 2 loser, as those are the top rankings they can achieve in the respective next rounds.

Well, I just tried it with the winners 0 and loser 2 in the Semi-Final.... didn't work.

This is doing me in right now... I am using the same gosh darn settings as with the FA Trophy, except this one has a third place playoff and I can't get the Cup history to update.

But - here's a theory:

I was just looking at how the FA Trophy was set up, and I had the Semi-Finals set as 2-3 here. That means that those two current "2's" are playing the final, and then get a rating of 0 and 1... leaving NO teams with a ranking of 2.

The histories screen only list the top TWO teams...

... now, if one wants a cup history to show a third team (think World Cup or any other who has a third runner up)

... maybe... just maybe... we need to have a rankings gap? My current third place play-off means that there is a continuation in numbers, while the other one has that gap after the two top first teams.

Running a test on another desperate fiddle right now, but I'm upset I didn't think of this before I started that one. If the current one does not work, I'm definitely trying this method.

You didn't enter or mis-entered the number of matches in a stage. If it's for example a round of 16 teams, it should be "number of matches: 8".

I dont have any kind of cup... just plain league, first division, ten teams, and second division, 16 teams... no cup competition

This is a problem i have been having with a number of files i have made. Try adding all people of croatian nationality when you start the game, it worked for me, once =P.

Who is your team, btw :D

how to add all Croatian people? and my team is Dinamo, of course... if I succeed in making divisions in advanced panel, Ill start with some Dalmatian teams, like Dugopolje :D or Rastane

and also a question - is it possible to make play-off with pairings 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and 4-5... I tried sth with American league, but there are random pairs, like 1-2, 5-8, 3-7 and 4-6 ???

My NZ playoff gets 1-4 and 2-3, by using a seeded draw. Admittedly it is easier with 4 clubs to do this, but it could be possible with 8 clubs. You might haveto try something like - get league stage teams, 0 - 3, all clubs have same seeding = 0, and - get league stage teams, 4 - 7, all clubs have same seeding = 1, and try to find a way of keeping seeds apart in the first round.

Ok... I'm at a complete loss!

Getting the Cup Histories to record is totally driving me nuts right now. I even got rid of the stupid 3rd place play-off and set the First Citizens Bank Cup up exactly like I have the FA Trophy set up. 100% identical in the rankings.

FA Trophy Cup records histories just fine...

But, Citizens Bank Cup refuses to update...

There is absolutely no logic to this any more, and unless I have just blatantly missed something over the past 20 times or so that I've eyeballed the settings to find what the heck is wrong... then the game just simply refuses to update certain cups.

If any kind soul wishes to have a peak at the file and see if they can get it to work, or tell me what is wrong, I'd be eternally grateful. I'm just sick and tired of doing the same little tweak over and over again and running a season soak just to find that it STILL doesn't work.

Here is the link:

http://www.filefront.com/16374405/OLT%20-%20Trinidad%20%26%20Tobago.xml

Going to be hittin' the hay for now, and hopefully tomorrow my brain's been cleared enough so that I can get on with this thing again...

Educated guess:

FA Trophy Cup is set to "main domestic cup", while Citizens Bank Cup to "cup". It's editors' fault that competitions set to just "cup" don't record history (that's what erniesouchak told me on Polish message board).

So - try to change your Citizens Bank Cup type from "cup" to "domestic league cup" or even to second "domestic main cup", or even "club finals". Just don't use "cup".

Interestingly... I use "cup" on both of them.

Just recently changed Citizens Bank Cup to "cup" like I had set for the FA Trophy... and since that worked, I thought maybe "cup" is the only form that works.

I previously had it as Domestic League Cup.

So, it can't be "cup" as a setting that prevents it from recording the history, since the FA Trophy works just fine with it.

Believe me... I've tried everything.

Thanks, though. I appreciate any ideas/suggestions. I'm just very frustrated right now.

Have you tried the following for the semi-final:

Winner Highest ranking 0 lowest 1 Loser Highest ranking 2 lowest 3. Third place play off winner 2 loser 3 final winner 0 loser 1?

Also my experience is that the third place play off have to be added as a round before the final. I had the same problem as you earlier today.

Yup - tried that too (regarding rankings)

Third Place Play Off was always in the round before the final as well. Third Place Play-Off completely removed now, and I've set the rankings identical to how it's set for the FA Trophy - but it still doesn't work.

I just cannot figure out what the heck is wrong with this one...

Just tried going into my CFU file to see if I could get that one to record histories with the rankings settings - but that one won't work either.

.-----

If anyone has a working Cup of any kind, which has a third place play-off in place, and in which the third placed teams is also included in the History page of the competition... I'd be more than interested to get a peak at it.

Though - since the exact same settings can give different results, I'm kind of downhearted right now.

But you can set losing team to no fate. And in the third place play off set both losing and winning team to no fate. It was something I did when the history started to be stored.

Well, the thing is that I don't see how that could possibly make a difference. I don't have those "No Fate" settings for the FA Trophy, which does record the histories.

That is the thing... there is no difference to the settings between the two cups - yet only one of them record the stupid histories.

I'm begging someone - anyone help me figure this one out. This is unbelievably frustrating, as it should be the most natural thing in the world to have the competition record the histories.

There's got to be some friggin' setting that is the deciding factor that tells the game to store the histories... and apparently it is NOT the rankings like we believed. There's got to be something in addition to that... or maybe it's not even part of what is in the editor. The advanced panels were not what was released, and so there could be that this particular function is plain and simple faulty.

I don't know... but I really need this one little issue to be fixed in a manner where I know exactly how and why the histories are stored - and when I have made the same settings for two different cups (in terms of rankings) and only one saves them... that is just too much for me to handle.

So, what else could it be? Cup type Domestic Main/Domestic League/Cup... No - tried'em all.

The number of participating teams? There's only 11 (uneven number) in the one that won't record, and an even 32 in the one that works? Well... I can't darn well change the formats of the cups when I want them to be 100% realistic.

Third place play-off? Well, probably not, since my cup won't record with or without it.

Can you only have one cup per nation? What? That'd be nuts... But, that's probably not it, since I can't get the CFU to record either, and that file has only that one competition.

So what? Seriously... I can't get a grip on this, and it is the one and only thing that is preventing me from being able to create some really good leagues. I planned on redoing the Jamaican and Ghana leagues I've released now that I see how I could set them up as they are in real life. But, without histories... uh-uh - I'm just not doing it. It is too important for me that those work.

So, again - I'm begging some kind soul to have a peak at my file and see if they can find out what is wrong with the First Citizens Bank Cup. Am I just missing something really simple, or is it a fact that it can't be made to store the histories. A virtual keg of beer (or whatever kind of drink/food strikes your fancy) headed your way if you can help me understand this thing.

Again - here's the link, since we kind of went on with this thing:

http://www.filefront.com/16374405/OLT%20-%20Trinidad%20%26%20Tobago.xml

And, now I AM going to bed. Hopefully by tomorrow some kind soul has had a look and has some ideas so that this issue can be figured out once and for all.

*sigh*

Well, I finally figured it out... but it wasn't happy news.

It came down to the very last thing I hadn't tried, that differed the FA Trophy from the Citizens Bank Cup. And, that was the fact that I had set up the Citizens Bank Cup to not be set up until the Regular Season stage of the league was completed. A simple removing of that feature, and viola! The cup now registers the history.

Great news? Hardly... this one change also makes it impossible to get the correct seedings/teams into the cup.

Apparently, this change also causes the game to draw the teams right at the start of the season - and since this cup is heavily dependent on the finishing regular season league table everything gets screwed up. And, I mean that the draw is hidden at the start of the season - I have the draw date set after the league stage is finished, and it does draw on the correct date, but the pool of teams and their seedings are apparently stored at the beginning of the season.

See - I need to have a preliminary round where the bottom two in the Pro League play a qualifying match. Second round sees the teams placed 7-9 in the league in a second prelimary round along with the winner between the 10th and 11th placed teams. The top six are then entered in the Quarter Finals along with the winners of the second preliminary round.

This all worked because I had set the competition to not set up until the Regular Season league stage was complete.

Now - I just got the teams in alphabetical order instead.

I tried sorting teams by division position and seeding them like that - but it was still always just alphabetical.

It doesn't make sense that the histories should not be recorded, just because you have set the option of not scheduling the competition until another stage is finished - but there is no doubt that is what finally solved it for me as it was the one and only change I made between it not working and suddenly working.

Now, I got to figure out a way to make the seedings work properly, and be based on the current season...

Well what should work doesn't. Can't see what the problem is either.

I'll take a further look at it later, it could be to do with the clubs entering at certain rounds.

EDIT: I got it to register the winner, but only once. It doesn't work after the first season, but it is progress.

I added a setup date of 1st September, and to get teams from stage 0 instead of stage 1.

It gets the right teams at the right stages too.

At least it is a little progress!

I added the third place playoff again for the test. You can change the settings if you want.

http://www.filefront.com/16377707/OLT%20-%20Trinidad%20%26%20Tobago.xml

It strange that the history don't work because of the late setup. In my cup it works, and it sets up after the comps were it picks teams from are finnished.

Do you have the option in the "Requirements" tab selected that says "Stage required to be complete before setting up cup" (or something along those lines) enabled?

This option makes it so that on the competition screen in the game it reads - "This competition has not been scheduled yet", whereas just having the draw at the date after a competition is finished means that the competition screen reads "The draw for this competition will be made on DATE".

Or is it just that the draw for the cup is made after the other competition has finished?

Because it's the requirements tab option that prevents the histories from being stored in my case.

Sorted, took out the requirement for stage setup, and left the setup date on 1st September, winners are set in history for at least two seasons.

http://www.filefront.com/16377791/OLT%20-%20Trinidad%20%26%20Tobago.xml

On a side note, Egypt won the world cup on the test I did, and England didn't win a single group stage game!

I'll be damned!

Just ran a test, and indeed it records the history. I can't thank you enough! Here is the promised keg:

heineken-draught-keg-beer.jpg

Heineken is a fine brand :)

Just loading it up now, as I can't really see what is different from what I did. Except for the setup date, which must be the key.

One issue, however - I got "array access out of bounds" error at the finals stage. Didn't crash the game, and continued once I clicked "ok". After that the cup did record the histories as I've been dying to get to work. The error message is hopefully something I can easily fix.

Again - Thanks! And, enjoy your well deserved brewski.

I got that error message too, luckily it wasn't fatal and the game seems to run fine.

With your first file you are bound to encounter setback after setback, I did on mine, and I had no-one else to ask for help. It's important to just keep trying no matter how long it takes.

Thanks for the beer, I don't drink Heineken that much but I shall have one anyway!

[...] That is the thing... there is no difference to the settings between the two cups - yet only one of them record the stupid histories. [...]

What about just duplicating the cup that functions well, and edit it afterwards?

I got that error message too, luckily it wasn't fatal and the game seems to run fine.

With your first file you are bound to encounter setback after setback, I did on mine, and I had no-one else to ask for help. It's important to just keep trying no matter how long it takes.

Thanks for the beer, I don't drink Heineken that much but I shall have one anyway!

Yeah, there have been some setbacks, but thanks to you I have regained my understanding of what is happening at least. I can't believe I missed trying to enter the Set-Up date... and once I saw that it was like: "Now, how obvious is that?". I owe you big-time there, buddy.

I also fixed the error message. There was a slight miss in the rankings where the semi-final losers got a faulty ranking, so it runs perfectly now.

Just added in two more cups, and then I'll just have one more to add to complete the Trinidad league and cup setup. Will then move on to adding players and fixing up the teams/stadia/cities and stuff. I'm so happy to finally be on the go again, instead of just standing still and not knowing what the heck is going on.

Sorry about the Heineken - hope you'll enjoy it still ;)

What about just duplicating the cup that functions well, and edit it afterwards?

Did try that while I was battling this thing. But, this issue has now finally been fixed - so I'm a happy camper indeed :)

hi can someone please help me, trying to create a competition with advanced panel that starts with a group stage but no matter what i try the competition never starts, please dont ignore this as i am waitin to start a new game but want this comp in, if anyone can tell me what to do or give me a file that has a comp starting with group stage i would appreciate it.

thanks

Has anyone ever done relegation/promotion playoff where team from the higher division plays team from the lower division and the winner gets place in the higher division with advanced editor?

I've been trying a couple of days now to sort it out in every possible way I can think of but with no success at all and I'm beginning to lose my sanity :confused: So would anybody who knows how to do this kindly give some instructions, or look at the file and point out what I'm doing wrong :o

This is the latest try:http://rapidshare.com/files/384544682/Paraguay.xml.html

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

I've made a very important discovery, and have been struggling with it all day to figure out how it works.

Thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know about this issue, as it is absolutely imperative that you know this thing when creating leagues and cups with the Advanced Editor, or you'll find that teams play gray's and reserves instead of their first team players.

There's quite a lot to it, and I raised it in it's own thread, where I have described my struggles and findings in detail... so I'll direct you to that thread instead of repeating it all here.

Any questions and I'm happy to answer, as I feel I've come to understand this issue quite well...

Here is the link:

http://forums.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=207226

is it possible to create competition with groups, that is hosted by one country? I am thinking of creating international competitions, but that are held in one country?

and also, is it possible to change curretn WC qualifying system... I changed Oceanian, but after Asian Quals are over (stage before play-off with Oceanian teams) game crashed..

is it possible to create competition with groups, that is hosted by one country? I am thinking of creating international competitions, but that are held in one country?

and also, is it possible to change curretn WC qualifying system... I changed Oceanian, but after Asian Quals are over (stage before play-off with Oceanian teams) game crashed..

It should be possible. I haven't played around with anything like that, yet - but I have seen in the cups that you have a lot of interesting options to choose for the Stadium Setting... one of them being "Host".

You'll just have to start playing around with the editor and see what you can come up with. Lots of trial & error, lots of frustration - great reward when one figures it out ;)

Has anyone been able to figure out the Reserve/Youth leagues using the Advanced Panels?

I'm currently trying to set them up, but it makes absolutely no sense to me. Setting the option Max Rounds to 2, doesn't work at all - the game still sets up only 1 round for the teams.

I've fiddled with all three types of reserve/youth leagues - Mirror Main Division, Use Division Teams and Regional Divisions. Only Mirror Main Division seems to set up more than one round for the teams, but not all teams play all rounds - so they finish the season with a different number of matches played.

This could be due to the fact that some of the teams have other "B" squads, and do not have a team in the reserves - and even clicking the option to Use All Teams From This Division doesn't help (I found in reality, Joe Public for example, do play in a Reserve League, as well as the Pro League, Super League and Regional leagues, Youth Leagues).

I'm completely lost on how to get a proper Reserve/Youth system going for the leagues - so anyone who has been successful in doing this... I'd sure like to know how you've done it.

I downloaded a league that had the reserve and youth leagues working. I think it was the poloish file found on page 5 of this thread. I can't check because I'm not at home but have a look at that one. Also you have to look at each club in the DB, as some clubs have do not play in reserve fixture thicked in their competition screen.

I downloaded a league that had the reserve and youth leagues working. I think it was the poloish file found on page 5 of this thread. I can't check because I'm not at home but have a look at that one. Also you have to look at each club in the DB, as some clubs have do not play in reserve fixture thicked in their competition screen.

Nope... that one doesn't work either. Only one round to be played.

Even tried setting the rounds to 3, and it still only scheduled one round of play in the reserves/youth leagues.

-----------

Also - I'm finding more and more oddities as I run the test soaks. The advanced editor probably requires a lot more than we have been able to figure out.

For one - Media Predictions don't work any more, and I'm certain they used to work... so what setting has prevented that I don't know.

Second of all - In my latest test, Caledonia AIA head coach was "Insecure", but had just finished in second place in the league and done well in the cups. His insecure status, however, was removed after the season update... In addition, though, the teams in the bottom of the league did not sack their manager - nor were they insecure. Even for the team that was relegated.

It's little things like this that is starting to worry me, and wonder if the Advanced Editor is really a complete editor - that maybe (since it's not really supposed to exist) there are some important settings that are simply missing from the panels.

I don't know - there are just a couple of things that just doesn't seem right to me. But, hopefully these are just things that require some settings we are yet to figure out... like the rankings system which I struggled with the other day.

However - why the Reserve/Youth leagues only schedule 1 round, regardless of setting in "Max Rounds" is quite odd. Of course, that setting reads MAX rounds... not definitely the EXACT number of rounds that should be scheduled. I'll try adding max dates next, but I very much doubt that will do the trick... again, the wording is MAX dates...

The media predictions is something that is strange, but in order to get those to work, you will probably get your problem with teams not fielding their best players again. I've read in some post from Magic earlier in this thread that the ranking levels have to be left out to get the media predictions to work...

The media predictions is something that is strange, but in order to get those to work, you will probably get your problem with teams not fielding their best players again. I've read in some post from Magic earlier in this thread that the ranking levels have to be left out to get the media predictions to work...

Darn! Wish I'd read this before I set up my next test round... I think I may know what is required to get those to work, just from reading that... of course, I may be completely wrong.

Gotta try it after this next check on Reserves/Youths... I'll report my findings.

Archived