Things you know you have taken too far when playing FM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robbie Williams said he started doing that with everyone after he got addicted to CM4. If he was that bad with CM4, god knows how bad he'd get with FM10. :D

Could be worse could be the current Champ man where it is 1 - 99 and it can't be changed back to 1 - 20 - That game is sooooooo bad........:o Yes I did try it out:eek:

I tried to seduce my wife by telling her that she is on my favoured personnel list.

:(

I tried this as well but she told me I would benefit by adopting our milkman's approach.

After I told her I was really pleased with the experience of learning from him, I had another go but she asked me to slow down play now and then.

Heres a few for you:

-Fist pump when a winning goal is scored. I also wave my hands up the pitch when I want the players to push up (never works though)

-Having imaginary press conferences after signing a player (no need to do this with FM10)

-When managing nations outside of Great Britain I have been known to research the national anthem, which I once played before an important World Cup game :D

-I refuse to sign players for a transfer fee from teams I dislike. The same when selling a player, I'd rather he went anywhere else than I team I deteste

-I like to use former clubs, from previous FM games, when arranging preseason friendlies. I also tend to look out for these clubs results in the cups.

-Fist pump when a winning goal is scored.

I do this all the time. I also shake my head when I concede goals, particularly late winners or goals that tie it up.

-I refuse to sign players for a transfer fee from teams I dislike. The same when selling a player, I'd rather he went anywhere else than I team I deteste

I am willing to buy from MOST anyone, but try to stay away from my rivals (although this gets very difficult managing Athletic Bilbao). I NEVER sell key players or promising youngsters to rivals.

-I like to use former clubs, from previous FM games, when arranging preseason friendlies. I also tend to look out for these clubs results in the cups.

Ha, I'm guilty of this one! :D

I tried to train her to get new preferred moves but she refused to unlearn "lays on back", and still has not come to grasp with "gets on top" and "goes down".

Ha ha ha, quality.

I interview myself sometimes about new signings and the team's performance, ha ha, also I commentate on the matches sometimes.

Something less weird is I like to find out about the city of the team I'm managing, the stadium, and I usually look them up on either Google Earth or Wikipedia.

i used to wear my qpr hoody when managing them, and i often do press conferences in my head when walking around.

this weekend spending the summer trying to find a goal keeper suitable to either replace or become back up to abbiati at milan i finally settled on joe heart as a last minute back up.

that night i woke up at 4am in a genuine panic that i had a cup game against inter and need to find a keeper as abbiati was injured..few minutes later i realised i wasent infact a real life manager of fm ac milan and went back to sleep

ironically i run a sunday team and my keeper rolled over on his ankle sunday so i do need to find a keeper... freaky..lets hope my fm team start keeping clean sheets and the manager gets a bonus per goal, that would be nice coming into play in real life :)

when debating football with friends, saying something idiotic like "he's playing great recently, scored in his last five league starts".

then realising this is from one of your fm saves and hes been crocked out injured for the best part of the season in RL

This one is not me its my buddy and his wife..... when saturday night has become "their night" and no gaming is allowed. brought in specifically because she thought she was losing him to FM

telling your friends that you'd make a great real life manager if only given the chance.... using your fm legendary saves on your actual CV?

Every title in England and Europe (except league one!!:mad:) with Torquay? I'm telling everyone about that one :p

when debating football with friends, saying something idiotic like "he's playing great recently, scored in his last five league starts".

then realising this is from one of your fm saves and hes been crocked out injured for the best part of the season in RL

This one is not me its my buddy and his wife..... when saturday night has become "their night" and no gaming is allowed. brought in specifically because she thought she was losing him to FM

Ha Ha- this is monday nights for me. My missus sends me a message every monday going- "waaay- no FM tonight".

I have also broken my hard drive with a frustrated punch after a late equaliser.

And the dentist recently said i have started grinding my teeth at night- surely that cant coincide with starting to play FM again...

talking yourself through what is wrong with your tactics and how to stop leaking goals out loud on a train with a notepad on your lap drawing circles and lines for runs etc.

Got a few wierd looks

I play the game with a sketch book by my laptop - after playing for an hour I usually manage to fill a good page or two with doodles of how the players should be position or how they should be making runs

i do this all the time!! especially those sheep!!! :D:D:D

Good call sir! I've often sold players for a fraction of what the Sheep have offered me

Ha ha ha, quality.

I interview myself sometimes about new signings and the team's performance, ha ha, also I commentate on the matches sometimes.

Something less weird is I like to find out about the city of the team I'm managing, the stadium, and I usually look them up on either Google Earth or Wikipedia.

I usually do that with lower league clubs to see what the stadiums like or to have a gander at the players if their photos aren't in the game

I've used a players form on FM plenty of times when talking about quality foreign players. A few years back I was really pleased with myself for 'discovering' Zlatan Ibrahimovic after playing against Ajax in a friendly - when ever I see him on TV now theres always a little smile on my face and a thought to say ''I found him''.

The same goes with Djibril Cisse, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, and Arjen Robben (signed him way back in 2000 from Groningen). The same goes with some lower league players, who still put a smile on my face when I hear them mentioned on The Football League show :p - players like Joe Hart (originally from Shrewsbury), Gary Hooper (originally from Grays) and Michael Turner (originally from Charlton .... but I used to sign him from Brentford).

Thinking about it I was watching the Carling Cup highlights last night and recognised a guy playing for Northwich Victoria. It was a guy called Matt Bailey, a 6'5 center back who I always used to sign from Crewe (a gold mine for young talent) - he wasn't the greatest of players but for a lower league team you could build a tactic around him and his knack for getting plenty of goals from corners.

I shout random obscenities when i loose, I base my opinions on players IRL on their performances for or against me on FM. I love it when i see player IRL that I "discovered" on FM... Like Thiago Silva, Riquelme, Samuel Eto'o, Johan Elmander, Rasmus Elm and many many more who I picked up before they were any good.

when you stand up watching the screen to pretend your patrolling the technical area
arms crossed at times?

Yes and yes. Haha, thought it was only me. I find myself doing this in big tense games. I'll have to get in on this suiting up for the cup final lark. Legendary. :D

You know you've gone to far with FM when you find yourself mocking up a team photo - painstakingly put together with the faces of your new signings (neatly copied from that players image in his realworld club photo), coaching staff and yourself holding onto your latest trophy/trophies.

also

You know youve gone to far with FM when you work out the amount of hours you have spent on the game, then think of what you may done in that time! My longest save on FM09 was clocked at just over 25days - thats over +600 hours of my life!!! In that time I could've worked towards an actual coaching license .... to make me a real world football manager :p I could've got a minimum wage night job and earned myself around £3500 :O I could've got myself in shape, join a local team, be spotted by a scout, then be snapped up by my favourite team (well maybe not) :S

Same. Constantly slating Benitez in the press and knowing what a brilliant additions Torres and Fabregas would be to my squad, I would never sign them!

when you stand up watching the screen to pretend your patrolling the technical area

That made me chuckle, glad i'm not the only one. I usually do it in tense games to stop myself chewing my fingernails down to the bone. I usually have to stop myself though when I involentarily start doing hand genstures to both pass on instructions to my players and appealing throwin decisions etc.

e.g. Wearing a suit when your teams plays its cup final :cool:

give me your examples ;)

Excellent! I always applaud the fans after a good win on the short walk between the table that my laptop is sat on (the dug out) and my kitchen door (tunnel entrance). Always acknowledge the fans!

Same. Constantly slating Benitez in the press and knowing what a brilliant additions Torres and Fabregas would be to my squad, I would never sign them!

If a manager I dislike joins my club (Nottingham Forest) I tend to make public comments every few weeks about how bad they are and what a poor job they are doing - A while back on FM09 Nigel Clough joined as manager and was doing quiet well but managed to get them relegated twice in consecutive seasons. After slagging him of he was sacked and I got his job RESULT

When you arrive in the new job and start talking about your 3 to 5 year plans for the club and how you will achieve it in your press conference.

:D Thats a good one. I dont aim for promotion too early if it'll harm the club in the long run, so I plan my transfers in relation to where I think the club will be in 1/2/3/4 seasons time.

Excellent! I always applaud the fans after a good win on the short walk between the table that my laptop is sat on (the dug out) and my kitchen door (tunnel entrance). Always acknowledge the fans!

I've mentally thanked the fans for their support a few times, after a good season where the gates are up massively over the previous year.

The usual for me too. Pacing, not watching shootouts, fist pumps, head in hands when sitters get missed etc.

I'm not as bad as I was, but I used to get incredibly angry at times. Once i was 4-0 up against Portsmouth inside 20 minutes and they came back to 4-4 and I punched a wall and thought I'd broken my hand when the adrenaline had faded... Fortunately I went on to win 6-4 and hadn't actually broken my hand, though it was horribly bruised.

All of the above apply to me i can honestly say i am an FM Addict. I even brought the game knowing that my laptop was broken and may have never been fixed as i don't have the money. Then spent 3 hours taking it apart myself (never done this before) just to try and play the game. It worked:D

I also shout abuse at the linesman when i think a player is offside even when they are not and often verbally abuse anyone that i feel has done something wrong to my team.

You know you are addicted when you are still up at 6 in the morning because you are on a winning streak and you feel you should just play on more game even though you have been doing that since midnight!

Archived